Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #851
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Christ. In re-signing Jason Williams the Wings have managed to bring the hatred from Babcock normally assigned to Hudler, and the horrendous shot selection and turnover proneness from Sammy.

Yeesh.

Oh well.

At least the Wings are only paying one guy that can piss off Babcock instead of two...
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:11 AM   #852
samifan24
Pro Starter

I was going to say I could never remember who Jason Williams played for and who Jeremy Williams played for but now I see Jason Williams was the Detroit/Atlanta guy and Jeremy Williams has played his entire career for Toronto. Wasn't there a Williams who played for Carolina though?
Old 08-06-2009, 11:18 AM   #853
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I was going to say I could never remember who Jason Williams played for and who Jeremy Williams played for but now I see Jason Williams was the Detroit/Atlanta guy and Jeremy Williams has played his entire career for Toronto. Wasn't there a Williams who played for Carolina though?

You mean Justin Williams. He's with the Kings now.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:33 AM   #854
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Holland knew he needed someone to catch all of Bab's evil stares, now that Jiri is gone.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #855
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
You mean Justin Williams. He's with the Kings now.

Oh, great, there are three of them:

Jason Williams
Jeremy Williams
Justin Williams

Are any of them any good? I don't really think so but I get them confused all the time so how would I know?
Old 08-06-2009, 07:31 PM   #856
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Justin was good in his early years with Carolina, but had horrendous problems with injuries the last couple of years. This made him expendable for trading by JR at the last deadline, which resulted in getting Cole back from Edmonton.

Last edited by Wolfpack : 08-06-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:51 PM   #857
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Interview with Jiri Hudler.

Hudler in Russia: 'I don't know rules regarding arbitration exactly' - Puck... - NHL - Yahoo! Sports
Old 08-09-2009, 11:23 AM   #858
Galaxy
Coordinator

Patrick Kane got arrested here in Buffalo this morning.

'Hometown hero' Kane arrested for robbing cabbie : Home: The Buffalo News

Last edited by Galaxy : 08-09-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #859
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Patrick Kane got arrested here in Buffalo this morning.

'Hometown hero' Kane arrested for robbing cabbie : Home: The Buffalo News

Ridiculous. They beat up a cabbie because he couldn't give them a few dollars change? What a punk.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #860
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Ridiculous. They beat up a cabbie because he couldn't give them a few dollars change? What a punk.

Not to mention is he under 21 and coming from Chippewa Street, which is our big nightlife area and the bars/clubs are open until 4 A.M., so I'm guessing he is under-age. Chippewa does a problem with serving minors.

Last edited by Galaxy : 08-09-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:39 AM   #861
bhlloy
Coordinator

hohoho. Bettman and Campbell must be shaking in their boots to see one of their faces of the league get in trouble like this. It's a good thing this isn't the NFL or they might actually have to do something.

I expect to see a heavy fine and a suspension for Ben Eager very soon
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:25 PM   #862
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I heard that about Kane too.

The only guy who might be a bigger prick then him is Phil Kessel from what I have heard.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:59 PM   #863
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
I heard that about Kane too.

The only guy who might be a bigger prick then him is Phil Kessel from what I have heard.

I'm a huge Bruins fans and I've heard that Kessel is not Mr. Personality many, many times. I always expect him to have a very whiny, nasally voice when he speaks.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:06 PM   #864
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Quote:
The pair allegedly punched the cab driver and grabbed money they had handed him after he told them he didn't have twenty cents in coins to give them their change, the report said.

Their fare was $13.80 and they handed the driver $15, according to a report.

Seems much worse than that.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:47 PM   #865
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Seems much worse than that.

They beat up a cabbie over pocket change [edit: 20 cents]. Kane makes millions a year. Talk about disgusting.

Last edited by samifan24 : 08-09-2009 at 11:03 PM.
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:09 PM   #866
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I used to think Keith Tkachuk was a prick. He looks positively angelic next to Kane at this point.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:46 PM   #867
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doucehbag owner #1
"We voted to deny approval to Mr. Balsillie because we concluded he lacks the good character and integrity required of a new owner" under NHL bylaws, said Jeremy Jacobs
Go fuck yourself Jeremy Jacobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4385939
The NHL said it also questioned Balsillie on statements he made to a reporter in November 2008 that the Montreal Canadiens were for sale. Canadiens owner George Gillett responded that the team was not for sale, "but the story led to a media storm that damaged the Canadiens franchise," Jacobs said.In June, seven months after Balsillie's comments, Gillett announced an agreement in principal to sell the Canadiens to the Molson brewing family.
This is a joke at this point. I hope Balsillie smokes those arrogant old boys club in court.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:58 PM   #868
samifan24
Pro Starter

Speaking of Jeremy Jacobs, someone on Twitter posted that the Bruins have increased ticket prices 95% overall over the last two seasons.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:20 AM   #869
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i generally dont care about who owns what team, but i honestly have been hoping very hard that balsille gets a team

of course, really, if you want hockey to get better, just do the opposite of whatever bettman says
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:23 AM   #870
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I wish Mark Cuban would buy an NHL team, that would shake things up for the better. As for Balsillie, I'm not sold on him, but I'm not against him either.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 08-10-2009, 07:32 AM   #871
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
i generally dont care about who owns what team, but i honestly have been hoping very hard that balsille gets a team

of course, really, if you want hockey to get better, just do the opposite of whatever bettman says

I just want some more teams in Canada. It's pretty obvious that Phoenix and a few other of the warm cities (Florida Panthers) aren't working too well. Move them into Canada.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:29 AM   #872
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post

Old 08-10-2009, 08:36 AM   #873
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Further proof the Flyers should've won the lottery that year and got Kane.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:49 AM   #874
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I just want some more teams in Canada. It's pretty obvious that Phoenix and a few other of the warm cities (Florida Panthers) aren't working too well. Move them into Canada.

Bettman will never move those teams north. If he does, he acknowledges that it was a failed experiment and the NHL is on par with the CLF expansion down south some years ago and that the NHL is a second rate league.
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:05 AM   #875
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
Bettman will never move those teams north. If he does, he acknowledges that it was a failed experiment and the NHL is on par with the CLF expansion down south some years ago and that the NHL is a second rate league.

And yet the CFL is kicking ass and taking names in recent years, primarily because it got out of the US and just focused on targeting the product at people that actually want it.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:26 AM   #876
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
And yet the CFL is kicking ass and taking names in recent years, primarily because it got out of the US and just focused on targeting the product at people that actually want it.

True, but in a majority of peoples minds, the CFL is a poor distant second to the NFL(something I dont agree with)
Old 08-10-2009, 11:39 AM   #877
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
True, but in a majority of peoples minds, the CFL is a poor distant second to the NFL(something I dont agree with)

Talent wise there's no comparison, really.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #878
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yeah, it's not even close to being second. That'd be college football.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #879
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Blackhawks PR staff sure is earning their money this off-season.
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 08-10-2009, 12:58 PM   #880
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Blackhawks PR staff sure is earning their money this off-season.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:34 PM   #881
DataKing
Pro Rookie

??
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 08-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #882
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I was meaning the Hawks, not you

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:44 PM   #883
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Ahh OK...got it now.

Now I'm just trying to figure out who has had the worse off-season, the Blackhawks or the Broncos?
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 08-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #884
watravaler
High School JV

Pretty stupid(Kane and his cousin arguing over 20 cents with a cabbie), but he gets one pass due to his age. He still looks 13 for crying out loud. With that being said, he always comes across as a douche/insincere in interviews, and he cleary has the maturity of 13 year old, even if he plays the game like vet at times. The cabbie will want to settle out of court, and I hope he gets a nice check from Kane that hopefully teaches the kid a thing or two and forces him to grow up, just a bit...

For the record, I think the Hawks have had a solid off-season, not with off the ice issues, of course, but they added an elite talent, and they will be a better team than last year. As long as Bowman's kid isn't a total moran, it's all but impossible to screw this up thanks to the Hawks stock-piling of talent over the past 6 years.

Last edited by watravaler : 08-10-2009 at 02:32 PM.
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #885
BishopMVP
Coordinator

F that. You don't get a pass for drunkenly beating up a cabbie over 20 cents regardless of age.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:44 PM   #886
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by watravaler View Post
Pretty stupid(Kane and his cousin arguing over 20 cents with a cabbie), but he gets one pass due to his age. He still looks 13 for crying out loud.

I am not exactly sure what "gets one pass" means. I don't care if he looks 13 or 43, sure, he's young, but he's 20 years old and an adult. While, he might get "one pass" because he's never run afoul of the law before, his age isn't the issue.

Quote:
For the record, I think the Hawks have had a solid off-season, not with off the ice issues, of course, but they added an elite talent, and they will be a better team than last year. As long as Bowman's kid isn't a total moran, it's all but impossible to screw this up thanks to the Hawks stock-piling of talent over the past 6 years.

I agree that the Hawks are better than they were last year, but they are going to be in a very tough position after this season. If they win the Cup, it's all good and it was worth it.

Even if Bowman's kid is a genius, the Hawks stock-piling of talent over the past 6 years and the generous contracts Tallon has dolled out over the past 3 years (Hossa, Sharp, Bolland, Versteeg, Byfuglien, Campbel, Barker, Sopel, and Huet) are going to come to a head after next year. Tough choices will need to be made and it will be interesting to see what affect this dispute of 20 cents will have, if any, on what the Blackhawks decide to do...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:13 PM   #887
RainMaker
General Manager

I would disagree about their offseason. They signed Hossa without giving him a physical (he's going to be out the first couple months). The league is now investigating that contract. Kane gets into a dumb incident. GM forgot to fill out paperwork correctly and cost the Hawks money. Owner gets booed at the Hawks convention.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:21 PM   #888
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
...With that being said, he always comes across as a douche/insincere in interviews, and he cleary has the maturity of 13 year old, even if he plays the game like vet at times...

What does Dan Cleary have to do with this? I know he was a "busted" draft pick for the BlackHawks, but c'mon....
Old 08-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #889
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Looks like Kane has other experiences with cab drivers. Not sure if this other incident is him being a smart ass or just offering a genuinely good tip...

Icing: A memory of Blackhawks' Kane and a cab driver
Old 08-10-2009, 05:07 PM   #890
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

You know, "20 Cent" Kane sorta rolls off the tongue, doesn't it? Or we could call him "Two Dime" or "Two Dime Crime".

Haven't read the article, but saw that no actual alcohol related charges seem to have been pressed, which you would think would practically be an automatic for someone under 21 (just a hint of inebriation would get a charge). That makes me think (unless you guys are reading something in the article that clearly states it) that Kane was actually sober for all of this. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #891
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

F-Kane
Old 08-10-2009, 05:33 PM   #892
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Further proof the Flyers should've won the lottery that year and got Kane.
They did tank for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I agree that the Hawks are better than they were last year, but they are going to be in a very tough position after this season. If they win the Cup, it's all good and it was worth it.

Even if Bowman's kid is a genius, the Hawks stock-piling of talent over the past 6 years and the generous contracts Tallon has dolled out over the past 3 years (Hossa, Sharp, Bolland, Versteeg, Byfuglien, Campbel, Barker, Sopel, and Huet) are going to come to a head after next year. Tough choices will need to be made and it will be interesting to see what affect this dispute of 20 cents will have, if any, on what the Blackhawks decide to do...

The Hawks are up against it next year. $43M in contracts to 12 players...and none of those 12 is Kane, Toews, or Keith. Even if the cap stayed at $56M, to get those 3 for a combined $13M would be a steal...and still need to fill in another 6-7 spots.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:35 PM   #893
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
They did tank for it.

One year does not make a tank. If you want to check out a team that tanked see who had top 5 picks for at least 4 years in a row. And traded their stars for the Kris Beeches of the world.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #894
Galaxy
Coordinator

Sabres are brining back Mike Grier for a 1-year deal.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:44 AM   #895
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Sabres are brining back Mike Grier for a 1-year deal.

Wouldn't have minded seeing him with the Wings. Oh well.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:30 AM   #896
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Well, in the least surprising news of the off-season so far, Zherdev has signed with a KHL team.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:35 AM   #897
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Well, in the least surprising news of the off-season so far, Zherdev has signed with a KHL team.

Yep.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:43 AM   #898
Logan
Head Coach

Good job setting market value, Mr. Arbitrator!
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:50 PM   #899
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Ping: bsak
Robert Esche, the supermarket*goalie - From The Rink
Old 08-11-2009, 02:58 PM   #900
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post

Good thing he made that save or the baby in front would have bit it.