Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-21-2008, 07:31 PM   #851
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I was refering to the IOC and China, in general. It was a disgrace that they got the Olympics in the first place.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:38 PM   #852
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I was refering to the IOC and China, in general. It was a disgrace that they got the Olympics in the first place.

(cue Chinese dragons playing the erhu and crying rainbow tears, as seen in The Simpsons go to China (episode 'Goo Goo Gai Pan'))
Old 08-21-2008, 07:42 PM   #853
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
seriously - that's fucking disgraceful if nothing happens, the IOC can go fuck themselves - she ought to be stripped and the chinese team golds ought to be stripped too

DT.. I think we just found proof that the girl is 14, and you want her to be stripped? I think there's a guy from Dateline NBC who wants you to sit in that chair over there....

(Grin, Duck, and RUN!)
Old 08-21-2008, 07:43 PM   #854
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

haha
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:47 PM   #855
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
DT.. I think we just found proof that the girl is 14, and you want her to be stripped? I think there's a guy from Dateline NBC who wants you to sit in that chair over there....

(Grin, Duck, and RUN!)

Well played Sir!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:47 PM   #856
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I'm waiting to see what happens AFTER everyone is safely outside the borders...
Old 08-21-2008, 07:49 PM   #857
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

(Grin, Duck, and RUN!)

Old 08-21-2008, 07:53 PM   #858
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
The reason I'd pick Phelps is Phelps uses his entire body, swam FAR more races, and shattered records in similar manners. Bolt may have run the most ridiculous 100 ever, but it's such a specialized thing compared to what Phelps did.

It's really not a valid comparison, and Phelps' events aren't as diverse as you're making them out to be.

If track and field added the 50m sprint, and also added the 50m, 100m, 200m and 400m backwards sprint, and the 50m, 100m, 200m and 400m sideways/crossover sprint, then you could probably have an apples to apples type of comparison as to who was the most dominant performer in their respective sport.

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 08-21-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:55 PM   #859
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I'm waiting to see what happens AFTER everyone is safely outside the borders...

Or after all the checks have finally cleared
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 08-21-2008, 08:12 PM   #860
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
It's really not a valid comparison, and Phelps' events aren't as diverse as you're making them out to be.

If track and field added the 50m sprint, and also added the 50m, 100m, 200m and 400m backwards sprint, and the 50m, 100m, 200m and 400m sideways/crossover sprint, then you could probably have an apples to apples type of comparison as to who was the most dominant performer in their respective sport.

More what I meant were the number of races he swam in a relatively short time. Maybe if Bolt added, say, the 110m hurdles or something.

However, his performance in the 200m said a lot. Agreed that it's hard to compare them, but they've both done something pretty amazing.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:37 PM   #861
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Not a good night for the relay teams

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:40 PM   #862
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

this just in from the IOC - they're investigating

ESPN - Report: IOC investigating whether He is old enough to compete - Olympics
Old 08-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #863
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

Hopefully they will have this completed by the time the closing ceremonies are done.....in London....in 2012.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:55 PM   #864
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
At least one of the Chinese gymnasts probably won't be old enough to compete in London either.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:05 PM   #865
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Not a good night for the relay teams

SI

Where is Victor Conte when you need him?
Old 08-21-2008, 09:21 PM   #866
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:

What about hurdling? Thats just running and jumping a little. Steeplechase? I mean come on, sure there are probably too many medals available in swimming all things considered. But its ridiculous how some of us degrade the difficulty of excelling in the different strokes in swimming. The whole backwards/sideways running comparison is overdone and sophomoric.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:23 PM   #867
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
IOC chief Rogge chides Bolt for lack of respect to rivals
Aug. 21, 2008
CBSSports.com wire reports

BEIJING -- IOC president Jacques Rogge criticized Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt on Thursday for showing a lack of respect to other competitors after his record-breaking gold medal performances in the 100 and 200 meters.

"That's not the way we perceive being a champion," Rogge said.

The International Olympic Committee chief hailed Bolt's stunning achievements in the two sprints, comparing him to American great Jesse Owens, but said Bolt should have cut out the look-at-me flaunting and acknowledged the other athletes.

"I have no problem with him doing a show," Rogge said in an interview with three international news agency reporters. "I think he should show more respect for his competitors and shake hands, give a tap on the shoulder to the other ones immediately after the finish and not make gestures like the one he made in the 100 meters."

Probably the one thing I can agree with the IOC on. They'll go on my shitlist when the declare that this Olympics was the greatest ever.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:32 PM   #868
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
In Bolt's defense, once the other competitors were done running, he was already back in Jamaica.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:12 PM   #869
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Fun volleyball finals on now

SI

Old 08-21-2008, 10:17 PM   #870
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
What about hurdling? Thats just running and jumping a little. Steeplechase? I mean come on, sure there are probably too many medals available in swimming all things considered. But its ridiculous how some of us degrade the difficulty of excelling in the different strokes in swimming. The whole backwards/sideways running comparison is overdone and sophomoric.

I disagree.

The freestyle, butterfly, breaststroke and backstroke are different swimming motions, but they're still swimming. The distance then becomes the only delineator.

Jumping and hurdling incorporate running, but they require separate, non-running skills. The steeplechase is a distance running event which relies on slow twitch muscular development, compared to fast twitch for the sprinters. So, if you want to compare a track and field sprinter to a short distance swimmer, the backwards/sideways running comparison is certainly valid.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:31 PM   #871
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
I disagree.

The freestyle, butterfly, breaststroke and backstroke are different swimming motions, but they're still swimming. The distance then becomes the only delineator.

Jumping and hurdling incorporate running, but they require separate, non-running skills. The steeplechase is a distance running event which relies on slow twitch muscular development, compared to fast twitch for the sprinters. So, if you want to compare a track and field sprinter to a short distance swimmer, the backwards/sideways running comparison is certainly valid.

Except running backwards and sideways is not even close to an efficient manner of traveling on the ground. The example is just used to belittle athletic endeavors people have little respect for. We have different strokes because there are going to be different ways to swim from point A to point B. Likewise we have different track events because there are different ways to travel quickly on feet from point A to point B.

Hurdling and sprinting are different track motions but its still running on a track. Sounds pretty stupid and disrespectful either way if you ask me. But I guess people have an easier time disrespecting swimming than track and field events.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:46 PM   #872
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Except running backwards and sideways is not even close to an efficient manner of traveling on the ground. The example is just used to belittle athletic endeavors people have little respect for. We have different strokes because there are going to be different ways to swim from point A to point B.
And swimming backwards, or butterfly, or breastsroke is an efficient, fast manner of traveling through water?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:58 PM   #873
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Hurdling and sprinting are different track motions but its still running on a track.

Hurdling incorporates running, but it requires a completely different skill set. I suppose if there was a swimming event where the competitors had to hurl themselves over buoys at regular intervals, you would have a valid comparison.

Running backwards is actually a very valid comparison in comparing the backstroke to the freestyle in swimming.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:58 PM   #874
Tigercat
College Starter

While freestyle is usually a faster competitive stroke than butterfly, its not by much. (Looking it up just now its only a difference of a second per 50m for record holders.) I've known swimmers that could butterfly faster than freestyle, although that seems pretty rare.

If I am swimming a very long distance, say across a lake, (as if that happens that often!) I usually breaststroke it. Easier to conserve energy with that stroke, IMO.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:18 AM   #875
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'd think bolt would be good on the 110s due to his speed and height. But I can't really recall anyone doing both.

We'll see what happens for London. If he decides to add the 400 and wins that too along with the other sprints I'd think that would seal his legendary status.

Last edited by stevew : 08-22-2008 at 12:23 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:21 AM   #876
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

+1

And I really hate tape delayed Olympics. At least England isn't more than 5 hours ahead. And they don't torture and kill political prisoners
Old 08-22-2008, 12:38 AM   #877
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
And I really hate tape delayed Olympics. At least England isn't more than 5 hours ahead.

In a way, that's worse, though. It actually hasn't been as bad this year because the time difference is so large that they've been able to carry a decent amount of stuff live in prime time by having major events take place in the morning in Beijing. In London, I don't see how anything could be carried live in prime time in the U.S.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:46 AM   #878
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
While freestyle is usually a faster competitive stroke than butterfly, its not by much. (Looking it up just now its only a difference of a second per 50m for record holders.) I've known swimmers that could butterfly faster than freestyle, although that seems pretty rare.

If I am swimming a very long distance, say across a lake, (as if that happens that often!) I usually breaststroke it. Easier to conserve energy with that stroke, IMO.

Good, then those swimmers can swim a butterfly in a swimming race and you can swim a breaststroke in a long distance swimming race.

Usain Bolt won gold medals and broke world records in the only two running events 200 meters and under (distance traveled by individual competitors). He has a shot at one more in the 4x100 relay. No other world records have been broken in running events at these Olympics.

Michael Phelps won 8 gold medals and broke 7 world records out of 13 swimming events 200 meters and under. 19 other world records were broken in swimming events at these Olympics. In several races, every medalist broke the previous world record.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:58 AM   #879
larrymcg421
Head Coach

It amazes me that people still want to piss on Phelps accomplishment. Who cares how many swimming events there are? It's not like Phelps travelled back in time and decreed that there be more swimming events than running events. All he did was come in and perform better than everyone else in the history of his sport.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:26 AM   #880
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
Usain Bolt won gold medals and broke world records in the only two running events 200 meters and under (distance traveled by individual competitors). He has a shot at one more in the 4x100 relay. No other world records have been broken in running events at these Olympics.

To put this in some more perspective, Bolt won the 200m by the largest margin in Olympic history, and he is the first man to hold the 100m and 200m world records simultaneously since 1979.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:55 AM   #881
larrymcg421
Head Coach

USA wins a thriller in the Men's Volleyball semifinal. They won the first two matches. Russia was pushed to the brink in the 3rd set but won 27-25. Then they won the 4th set. The 5th set (playing to 15), was back and forth the whole way. It was tied 13-13. USA wins the last two points to go to the Gold Medal game.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:09 AM   #882
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Looks like an American will be the "Greatest Athlete in the World".

Bryan Clay of the US owns a 316 point lead with two events to go, and if he does fairly well in the last two events, he has a chance to set the decathalon world record.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:07 AM   #883
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Table Tennis on USA

SI

Old 08-22-2008, 09:16 AM   #884
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
It amazes me that people still want to piss on Phelps accomplishment. Who cares how many swimming events there are? It's not like Phelps travelled back in time and decreed that there be more swimming events than running events. All he did was come in and perform better than everyone else in the history of his sport.

Word. Seems to me more evidence of the "Everything Sucks" era than anything else. It doesn't in any way diminish the accomplishment of either Phelps or Bolt to marvel at both of their achievements (or all eight of Phelps' and both of Bolt's).

[tongueincheek] Besides, Phelps is an American -- what happened to all the "We're number one!" chest-beaters in the face of the Jamaican invasion? [/tic]
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:26 AM   #885
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Should be interesting to see how much the bitch Manu tries to flop vs team USA. I hope they pound the snot out of the Argentinians.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:45 AM   #886
MJ4H
Coordinator

Is that game happening now? Can you update for those of us that can't follow?
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:52 AM   #887
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

USA up 17 with 8 mins to go in the 2nd.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:58 AM   #888
MJ4H
Coordinator

awesome
Old 08-22-2008, 10:10 AM   #889
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Kryszqweiski let argentina back into the game, and it's likely to be USA up by 6 or 8 at the half. Scola has been a beast and they can't figure out how to counter the run.

I think Bron and Wade are both in foul trouble.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:10 AM   #890
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Manu is in the locker room with a strained vagina.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:12 AM   #891
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Bolt makes it a 3 fer and saves the olympics.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:13 AM   #892
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

US up 9 at half.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:26 AM   #893
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

usain bolt so fast, jamaica gonna just ride him down the bobsled track in 2 years. cool runnings 2
Old 08-22-2008, 11:26 AM   #894
MJ4H
Coordinator

basketball update plz
Old 08-22-2008, 11:28 AM   #895
stevew
Hall Of Famer

USA wins by like 20. Not really a good game for either side.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:32 AM   #896
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
usain bolt so fast, jamaica gonna just ride him down the bobsled track in 2 years. cool runnings 2

That'd be sweet.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:39 AM   #897
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

dat boy run good
Old 08-22-2008, 07:33 PM   #898
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

Wah, wah, wah. Nobody is pissing on Phelps' accomplishments. I am pissing on the overblown media hype by others.

You are correct that he dominated his sport more than anyone else ever has.

Usain Bolt did the same thing.

I am not going to have any reason to bitch if ESPN and others continue to report accurately like in the Bolt story on the ESPN front page right now.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:48 PM   #899
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

For whatever it is worth, I work from home so since the Olympics have started I've had MSNBC on all day with whatever they happen to be covering at the time. Earlier in the Olympics all of their promos were about Phelps and is attempt to set history. Since swimming has been mostly over, those haven't been on and instead they have been replaced with things such as Volleyball, and even today alot of Bolt hype (I guess they are planning on airing one of his races in prime time tonight).

I don't think NBC is overhyping Phelps because he is their relative or anything.. I think they are just overhyping any thing that they can to try to increase ratings, including now overhyping Bolt beyond all belief.

I originally had been leaning on the side of "What Phelps did was amazing, but I'm tired of all of the hype"... now I'm leaning to the side of "The only people I've heard talk about Phelps the past 2 days are the people complaining about Phelps being talked about"

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:06 AM   #900
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Soccer final on CNBC now - Argentina/Nigeria 0-0 at halftime. They're actually having water breaks midway through the halves because it's so hot out, and the heat is killing the Argentinians.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 08-23-2008 at 12:07 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote