Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-20-2008, 10:17 AM   #851
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Apparently there is a local rumor circulating that Johan Franzen may never play again and that the Wings are waiting until the end of the season to announce this. The rumor has it that there was some bleeding in his brain that could be career threatening.

I have no idea if this rumor has any truth to it, but it's out there. I certainly hope it's not true. The guy was really coming into his own and could have had a very bright future in the game.

If it does turn out to be true, between Fischer and Franzen those are some significant losses of promising young talent for the Wings over the last 3 years.

Again, no idea if there is any truth to this. I'm hearing this third hand and am not sure who or what the original source is.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 05-20-2008 at 10:18 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:18 AM   #852
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

That's terrible. I really hope that's not true.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:20 AM   #853
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Is Jiri Fischer still trying to make a comeback, or has he pretty much resigned himself to just helping the team out from the sidelines? Honestly, I'd completely forgotten about him until his name came up here just now. How long has it been since he started sitting out? At least two years? Maybe longer?
Old 05-20-2008, 11:28 AM   #854
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Is Jiri Fischer still trying to make a comeback, or has he pretty much resigned himself to just helping the team out from the sidelines? Honestly, I'd completely forgotten about him until his name came up here just now. How long has it been since he started sitting out? At least two years? Maybe longer?

Fischer has pretty much resigned himself to just helping the team out from the sidelines. He tried for a while to find someway to play again, but it just didn't happen. Too big a risk. He's still pretty emotional about it. He does a lot of work with charity groups trying to get defibulators installed in rinks in the US and Canada. He tends to get choked up when talking about it.

It happened early/mid in the 2005 season, so about 2.5 years or so ago.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-20-2008, 10:22 PM   #855
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I can't believe the finals don't start until Saturday. The NHL is so frickin' stupid.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:31 AM   #856
Arctic Blast
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I can't believe the finals don't start until Saturday. The NHL is so frickin' stupid.

Yeah, has any reason been given for this long a delay? Doesn't make a lot of sense on the face of it.
Arctic Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:26 AM   #857
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Here ya go Logan...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2383...headlines_main
Old 05-21-2008, 07:48 AM   #858
Logan
Head Coach

I mean, I'd be fine with bringing him back when it comes down to it. Of course, I'd put a clause in his contract that requires him to never grow that ridiculous chin beard again.

I still think he ends up in Russia. It seems like it would be an easy negotiation.

"Russian mob, you can have Jagr back, but you have to release Cherepenov's family and let him come here to play."
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:05 AM   #859
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I think he signs a 1 year deal to come back with the Rangers. Anything more wouldn't be good for either side IMO.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:41 AM   #860
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Blast View Post
Yeah, has any reason been given for this long a delay? Doesn't make a lot of sense on the face of it.

The only thing I can think is it makes it possible for 3 Saturday Night games (and guarantees 2). Of course, everyone will have forgotten about the playoffs by the time the first one rolls around...
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 05-21-2008, 08:42 AM   #861
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
I think he signs a 1 year deal to come back with the Rangers. Anything more wouldn't be good for either side IMO.

This puts a real damper in my new found Ranger-fandom. I was looking forward to Jagr leaving, as he and Avery are about the only two unlikeable aspects of the team.

Oh well... Go Rangers!
Old 05-21-2008, 08:56 AM   #862
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Blast View Post
Because they're morons.

I mean, you had a potential game seven already scheduled for Wednesday night in Detroit. It's not like the building wasn't ready to go. Why not start tonight, with interest still high? Do they really think that an extra week is going to build hype in the US? What hype?

The only argument against starting tonight would be that you want the Wings to have some extra rest. But five days? Really?

At least its not as bad as last year, when the Sens had 10 days off before the finals. I guess that's progress.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:11 AM   #863
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Dola...

By waiting until the weekend to start, the NHL could basically choose any dates for their games. But they've decided to have the first three games go head-to-head with the NBA Eastern Conference finals, which of course feature the Pistons.

Nice work, Bettman. I'm sure the Wings will still get some coverage on page thirteen.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:36 AM   #864
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

As I ponder it, I think I'm ok with this. The more damage Bettman does in the US, the higher the liklihood of NHL hockey someday coming back to Winnipeg.

So go ahead Gary, wait 10 days between series and schedule everything to conflict with the NBA. Or even better, maybe find a way to go head-to-head with Summer Olympics if you can push things back enough.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:37 AM   #865
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I thought the series was going to and should have started on Thursday. That made the most amount of sense to me. I was a bit surprised by the Saturday start.

That said, as a Wings' fan, I don't really mind the delay. I kind of like savoring the whole Wings in the Finals experience. I am sure I will be sick of it by, oh, tomorrow, but a little time to catch your breath and to have time to sort of "stop and smell the roses" isn't a bad thing in my mind.

I fully agree, however, that from a broader, national perspective it makes no sense. At all.

As for the local coverage and the head-to-head with the Pistons thing, I don't think it will matter. What the local papers have done is have the sports page have two "front pages", though one is actually the back page that is just designed as the front page.

Given that the Wings have been a round ahead of the Pistons, the Wings' coverage has been the front "front page", while the Pistons' has been the back "front page." I fully expect this to continue.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:52 AM   #866
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I said mid year The Wings looked like they would win the Cup and I stick with it today.

Wings in six
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:26 AM   #867
Travis
Pro Rookie

Detroit in 5 (for the predictions), I just can't see Detroit's D not getting the job done, but if the Pens end up winning, they'll certainly have earned it.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:29 AM   #868
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Detroit in 6
Old 05-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #869
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I'll admit I don't want the Pens to win but I don't think people give their defense due credit. They are very solid, no superstars like Detroit but no glaring holes either. MAF is playing amazing and they have the edge in forward depth. I was all set to pick the Red Wings when the series started but I think this is the Pens year.

Pittsburgh in 6
Old 05-21-2008, 11:48 AM   #870
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I'll admit I don't want the Pens to win but I don't think people give their defense due credit. They are very solid, no superstars like Detroit but no glaring holes either. MAF is playing amazing and they have the edge in forward depth. I was all set to pick the Red Wings when the series started but I think this is the Pens year.

Pittsburgh in 6

I concur with this analysis.

Pittsburgh in 6.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:05 PM   #871
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I concur with this analysis.

Pittsburgh in 6.

Keep sandbagging, it has worked so far.

Pittsburgh hasn't been tested and away from home have a lot to prove. Maybw I am jaded but the East is pretty awful and the Pens have played three series where their opponents missed top guys. Alfredson, Avery, Timonen and Coburn.

They need to prove they can do it in another teams barn on the road with a relativley healthy opponent before I think they can pull it out.

And yes Detroit played battered teams but they havee proven before they can do it.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:43 PM   #872
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Pittsburgh hasn't been tested and away from home have a lot to prove. Maybw I am jaded but the East is pretty awful and the Pens have played three series where their opponents missed top guys. Alfredson, Avery, Timonen and Coburn.

They need to prove they can do it in another teams barn on the road with a relativley healthy opponent before I think they can pull it out.

You know that's a great point. I tried to tell people that the Flyers series would've been a lot closer had Kimmo and Brayden played but I just got laughed at. I'm not knocking what Detroit can do, and I think if we look East vs West depth wise (as far as teams go) I think the West clearly has that nod. Pittsburgh hasn't lost a home game since the end of February. They have also been the best team in the league since Thanksgiving, playing in probably one of the toughest divisions in the NHL.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:22 PM   #873
Logan
Head Coach

Just gonna chime in and say that Avery wouldn't have mattered at all in that series. The Pens just outplayed us in all areas of the game and were about 5 times as talented.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:53 PM   #874
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I know I am a homer, but...

Pens 8-1-1 vs the West this year. Yes they didn't play Detroit, nor all the playoff teams. They beat Anaheim early (yes Anaheim was struggling, so was Pittsburgh). Dallas, Calgary, Vancouver and Minnesota as well. They lost to Colorado 4-3, a game they led 3-1 at one point. And lost to SJ in a shootout, 2-1, at the end of February, which coincidentally is the last loss at Mellon Arena.

We could also say Detroit had 12 losses in the division, which had only two playoff team, the Wings and 8th seeded Preds. Pittsburgh had 14 losses in a division with 4 playoff teams.

How good can a team be to go 3-5 vs the Hawks?

This is an overused cliche, but I really think the Pens don't know any better at this point. Therrien said today they have no fear, because they don't know what to fear (read it with a French-Canadian accent, it's like he's in the room).
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:15 PM   #875
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Also, a bunch of us went through this at work today, trying to match up the lineups on each team. Again, I'm looking through black and gold glasses, but I'll bold who I think has the edge:

Crosby - Datsyuk
Malkin - Zetterberg
Hossa - Franzen
Malone - Holmstrom
Staal - Draper
Sykora - Filppula (even)
Ruutu - Maltby/Samuelsson
Kennedy - Hudler (even)
Dupuis - Cleary
Talbot - Helm
Roberts - Drake
Laraque - McCarty (nearly even, but edge McCarty based on skating)

Gonchar - Lidstrom
Whitney - Rafalski
Letang - Kronvall
Orpik - Stuart
Gill - Chelios (leaning towards Gill, but trying to remain unbiased)
Scuderi - Lebda/Lilja

Goaltenders I am calling a draw, because both playing extremely well.

Most are really close. I could easily give the edge to Malone. Holmstrom does what he does (get in front of the net) very well. But Malone kills penalties, fights, hits, and gets to the front of the net.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:43 PM   #876
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Also, a bunch of us went through this at work today, trying to match up the lineups on each team. Again, I'm looking through black and gold glasses, but I'll bold who I think has the edge:

Laraque - McCarty (nearly even, but edge McCarty based on skating)

That one is funny. I am not panning you but it's a sad, sad day D-Mac is the better skater then anyone else
Old 05-21-2008, 07:26 PM   #877
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

You must not have seen Georgie skate lately.

I actually wonder if he plays after game 1. Especially if the Wings win, Therrien will be more likely to tinker with the lineup, and we'll see Adam Hall or Jeff Taffe (if Roberts is out too).
Old 05-21-2008, 07:59 PM   #878
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
You must not have seen Georgie skate lately.

I actually wonder if he plays after game 1. Especially if the Wings win, Therrien will be more likely to tinker with the lineup, and we'll see Adam Hall or Jeff Taffe (if Roberts is out too).

Whenever Franzen is ready to go, McCarty will be out of the lineup. He basically played up till now because Maltby was hurt, and then Franzen. There is no open spot now if the Wings are totally healthy as Meech has solidified himself on the fourth line.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:54 AM   #879
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

not playoff related, but the Avs have a new head coach. or an old head coach - Tony Granato is back as the head coach.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:57 AM   #880
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
not playoff related, but the Avs have a new head coach. or an old head coach - Tony Granato is back as the head coach.

I like Tony Granato, but that seems like a bit of an odd move.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:56 PM   #881
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Interesting fact: this finals will feature Gary Roberts vs Chris Chelios, who also met in the finals 19 years ago.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:01 PM   #882
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I like Tony Granato, but that seems like a bit of an odd move.

it sounds like a predetermined move to me, as in 2004 predetermined.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:03 PM   #883
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

and, fwiw, this is not going over well in Colorado at all
Old 05-22-2008, 07:39 PM   #884
Arctic Blast
n00b

That is a very strange hire.
Arctic Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:45 PM   #885
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

DD...is this just a stop gap hire till Roy is ready? What do you think of it?
Old 05-22-2008, 09:25 PM   #886
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Why would anyone want Patrick Roy as their coach? Does anyone actually think he'd make a good coach?
Old 05-23-2008, 06:26 AM   #887
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Gary Roberts turns 42 today...and is only the 3rd oldest player in the series.

Edit to add another great stat on heard on NHL Network. In 16 years in the NHL, Lidstrom has taken ZERO roughing penalties. That is mind-boggling. I know that is not his game, but none in 16 years is amazing.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 05-23-2008 at 06:29 AM.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:34 AM   #888
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Wasn't Hasek the backup goalie for Chicago when the Pens won their first cup?
Old 05-23-2008, 06:37 AM   #889
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Why would anyone want Patrick Roy as their coach? Does anyone actually think he'd make a good coach?

I'd like to see Patrick Roy as Colorado's coach.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:19 AM   #890
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Wasn't Hasek the backup goalie for Chicago when the Pens won their first cup?

2nd cup, but yes.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:23 AM   #891
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
DD...is this just a stop gap hire till Roy is ready? What do you think of it?

Quote:

I personally don't think Roy was ever in the mix. I do think he could be a good coach someday, but I'd rather test that theory out with a different team. Most of the talk in Colorado centered on Todd McLelland, Kevin Dineen and Pat Burns. The Burns stuff had faded lately, and most people assumed the Avs were waiting for the first two guys to become available...and then the Granato boom was lowered.

I don't think Granato is meant to be a stopgap at all. If anything, I think Quenneville was hired as a stopgap to give Granato more seasoning as an assistant. I'm not thrilled with the hire - I think the Avs have been stagnating a bit and I think someone like McLelland would have shaken things up. Granato is getting slammed by both MSM and bloggers and I think that's a little much too. He'll be a decent coach - possibly a very good one - but the hiring was just a little too safe in my opinion.

Toronto guys: any talk of Quenneville going to Toronto? Most Avalanche fans assume that's where he's headed.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:27 AM   #892
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
Toronto guys: any talk of Quenneville going to Toronto? Most Avalanche fans assume that's where he's headed.

It got a passing mention in one article I read shortly after he was fired by Colorado, but nothing substantive.

If they fired Maurice so that the new GM could pick his staff, one would think that means they're going to actually hire a GM first ... and that's still getting most of the play as far as rumors go. But then again, this is MLSE we're talking about, and they end up keeping Cliff as a stopgap til next year, then who the hell knows what they'll do about the coaching situation.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:29 AM   #893
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Maybe Sundin will be a player/coach.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:41 AM   #894
MikeVic
Head Coach

What's Clark doing?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:53 AM   #895
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Franzen is cleared to play game one.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:09 AM   #896
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Franzen is cleared to play game one.

That's awesome. Great news. Hopefully he can pick up right where he left off.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:48 PM   #897
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

before i forget to put my pick in

Pens in 6
Old 05-24-2008, 12:38 AM   #898
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Franzen is not playing tomorrow now because he doesn't feel in game shape. He hasn't been able to skate until the last day or so so it's smart to sit it out if he isn't 100%. He sounds a go for Monday.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:03 AM   #899
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Apparently, Gary Roberts will not play either Saturday night. Therrien is reluctant to break up the lines as long as they are winning.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:21 PM   #900
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Apparently, Gary Roberts will not play either Saturday night. Therrien is reluctant to break up the lines as long as they are winning.

Hopefully that means Roberts will be in the line-up on Monday.

Well, I guess we know what it takes to bring "Hockeytown" out of its slumber. I've been out and about all morning and there's a lot of ole red & white out there.

I also saw some old dude in a Maple Leafs t-shirt at Lowe's. I was going to try and explain to him why there were so many people in Wings garb and what the Stanley Cup Finals were and all, but I didn't have the time.