Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-28-2007, 11:13 PM   #851
Tyrith
College Starter

I have to second the San Francisco assessment. Also like the moves the Jets made even if they were expensive. Dallas did a good job getting that #1 off the Browns. Cardinals moved up for big talent, if not big risk, with Alan Branch, which I liked out of them.
Tyrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:19 PM   #852
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Kind of scary. The Packers have selected players exactly the way I wanted them to. I don't think that has ever happened. I wanted A d-lineman in the first, a RB in the 2nd round, a WR in the 3rd, and then they managed to pick up an extra 3rd round pick to get a Safety. Safety is exactly the next position I wanted them to grab after DL, RB, and WR.

I still hate Tommy Thompson though. I won't let go of that just yet.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:08 AM   #853
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
I still hate Tommy Thompson though. I won't let go of that just yet.

TT is getting just absolutely blasted for this draft right now. I'm just not seeing any bright side in this draft side right now other than he didn't draft a punter.. that is about it. Just seems like all the guys were selected 1 round earlier than they should of. (Except Harrell.. sounds like he might have been around 20-25ish. I'm just not a fan of guys that are injury risks in early rounds)
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:32 AM   #854
Ragone
Pro Rookie

With Cleveland's history of offensive line players they acquire getting hurt.. has anyone heard from joe thomas after his fishing trip?
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:45 AM   #855
kingfc22
Head Coach

Thank you Mike Nolan! Now if we get Jackson from Seattle for a 4th as well I will hopefully look back at this offseason as the turning point for the Niners.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:47 AM   #856
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

No. The Niners have to suck for one more year, dammit.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:16 AM   #857
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

This from the Boston Herald at the end of today:

"According to a league source, the Pats believed they had a deal in place for the mercurial wide receiver, but the Raiders got cold feet and backed out before it could be consummated.
The source said the trade was to include a second-day draft pick, most likely a fourth-rounder. While a deal remains possible, Tim DiPiero, who represents Moss, claimed nothing is imminent."

For that price (and Moss favorably reworking his contract as apparently he is prepared to do), I do that deal. It may still happen, but I would liked to have seen it happen yesterday.

Hell, if it doesn't work out, you just cut his ass.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:44 AM   #858
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
No. The Niners have to suck for one more year, dammit.

It was actually a pretty shrewd move on the 49er's part. While I was originally not too happy with the trade to give up next year's first rounder, the fact that they supplemented with the Colt's first rounder next year canceled it out.

I think it's fairly safe to assume that Indy's pick and San Francisco's pick should be in roughly the same place this year. The 49er's were essentially one or two games out of making the playoffs last season. With the Cardinals having a new coach, the Rams still rebuilding, and the Seahawks on a downslope, it's not terribly optimistic to think that the 49er's should win the division next season.

Also, defending Super Bowl Champions often do not repeat the success they had the year before. While I don't think the wheels will completely fall off and the Colts will still make the playoffs, I doubt if anyone will have them as the Super Bowl favorite next year. I kinda look at them the way I look at the 2005-06 Steelers. The Colt's defense got hot and healthy at the same time, and it was enough to get them to the Super Bowl. However, the target is firmly on their backs, and with the losses they have had on defense (I believe they lost four or five starters), I think that they look more like a 9-7 or 10-6 team than a 12-4 team.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:06 AM   #859
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
I think it's fairly safe to assume that Indy's pick and San Francisco's pick should be in roughly the same place this year.

I hear what you're saying, but I just can't agree. To characterize that happening as a "safe assumption" is incorrect. It's an "optimistic assumption." And with all the new guys on San Fran, there is a possibility they are back at 11 again next season. I think they will do better (probably picking 20th or so), but I just don't think you can say that there isn't a chance they just don't click this season. They also are playing the NFC South and AFC North this year.

With that said, I do agree that picking up the Colts 1st next year is good cover though.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:14 AM   #860
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
I hear what you're saying, but I just can't agree. To characterize that happening as a "safe assumption" is incorrect. It's an "optimistic assumption." And with all the new guys on San Fran, there is a possibility they are back at 11 again next season. I think they will do better (probably picking 20th or so), but I just don't think you can say that there isn't a chance they just don't click this season. They also are playing the NFC South and AFC North this year.

With that said, I do agree that picking up the Colts 1st next year is good cover though.

I agree, but your bolded statement fits in with my assumption. If the 49er's (now Patriots) are picking 20th, then the 49er's at least made the playoffs, which is the goal for this season.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:32 AM   #861
JW
College Prospect

Meanwhile, ESPN's love affair with Brady Quinn continues. The top, lead photo on espn.com this morning. But it was fun watching that whole train wreck on ESPN's draft coverage yesterday with that Brady Bunch of talking heads. Too bad the #1 draft choice only got about 10% of the coverage of Brady Quinn.

JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:06 AM   #862
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
TT is getting just absolutely blasted for this draft right now. I'm just not seeing any bright side in this draft side right now other than he didn't draft a punter.. that is about it. Just seems like all the guys were selected 1 round earlier than they should of. (Except Harrell.. sounds like he might have been around 20-25ish. I'm just not a fan of guys that are injury risks in early rounds)

Yeah well, too many people get worked up over the first round pick, or what some wanna-be scout or ex-GM said about the later picks. I am sure a couple of these picks will be just fine and a couple won't. Same as most drafts.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:26 AM   #863
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Also, defending Super Bowl Champions often do not repeat the success they had the year before. While I don't think the wheels will completely fall off and the Colts will still make the playoffs, I doubt if anyone will have them as the Super Bowl favorite next year. I kinda look at them the way I look at the 2005-06 Steelers. The Colt's defense got hot and healthy at the same time, and it was enough to get them to the Super Bowl. However, the target is firmly on their backs, and with the losses they have had on defense (I believe they lost four or five starters), I think that they look more like a 9-7 or 10-6 team than a 12-4 team.

The Colts have gone at least 12-4 each of the past 4 seasons. We didn't lose anyone that wasn't replaceable. I see no reason why this success won't continue.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:40 AM   #864
Ironhead
College Prospect

NFL Network just reported that the Patriots have agreed with the Raiders. The Patriots would give up a 4th rounder for Moss. Moss would restructure his contract and have to pass a physical.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:49 AM   #865
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
NFL Network just reported that the Patriots have agreed with the Raiders. The Patriots would give up a 4th rounder for Moss. Moss would restructure his contract and have to pass a physical.

Thats a bad move IMO for the Pats. I wouldn't want my team to go near Moss
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:09 AM   #866
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
So guys, who is Los Angeles going to pick?

Oh.

Damn.

Guess we'll see in a minute!
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:27 AM   #867
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

great move by the Raiders, getting a pick for Moss that allowed them to take the risk on Michael Bush. Looking back a few years from now, this conceivably could be a hugely lopsided deal in favor of the Raiders.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:32 AM   #868
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Bush at 4(1) is a steal, even if he doesn't ever work out.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:37 AM   #869
timmynausea
College Starter

I think Bush could turn out to be a good back. On the other hand, the Patriots almost made it to the Super Bowl last year with nothing at WR. I think Moss could give them a big boost.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:37 AM   #870
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Patriots trade their 1st rounder next year as well as their 4th this year for Moss. Much more of a gamble.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 04-29-2007 at 10:38 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:39 AM   #871
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Patriots trade their 1st rounder next year as well as their 4th this year for Moss. Much more of a gamble.

I'm pretty sure the deal was just 4(11) for Moss.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:39 AM   #872
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
I'm pretty sure the deal was just 4(11) for Moss.

ESPN just reported that it also included next year's 1st, and that it is a done deal. They could have gotten it wrong.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 04-29-2007 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:41 AM   #873
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
ESPN just reported that it also included next year's 1st, and that it is a done deal. They could have gotten it wrong.

did they just say that? I didn't hear the part about next year's first. That makes it much more of a gamble and something i'm much less happy about

edit:

EF...this is straight off the first paragraph of the ESPN story

The New England Patriots have reached a trade agreement in principle to acquire wide receiver Randy Moss from the Oakland Raiders for a fourth-round round choice in Sunday's second day of the NFL draft.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 04-29-2007 at 10:43 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:42 AM   #874
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I think they were recapping the San Fran - Patriots deal. Pats first rounder this year, for the Niner's next year, and pick 110 this year. Pick 110 was then traded for Moss.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:45 AM   #875
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I think they were recapping the San Fran - Patriots deal. Pats first rounder this year, for the Niner's next year, and pick 110 this year. Pick 110 was then traded for Moss.

Yeah, I saw that too...that was the correct recap.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:45 AM   #876
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Maybe I misunderstood. I guess we'll find out in a bit.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:48 AM   #877
Logan
Head Coach

I really wish I had NFL Network. Do they, unlike ESPN, actually spend some time discussing (no, that's asking too much)...MENTIONING the guys picked today?
Old 04-29-2007, 10:49 AM   #878
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

NFL is reporting it was just a 4th rounder too. Guess, I'm hallucinating early in the morning. Sorry about that.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:50 AM   #879
Logan
Head Coach

Don't get down on yourself Doc. It was easy to misunderstand.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:50 AM   #880
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I really wish I had NFL Network. Do they, unlike ESPN, actually spend some time discussing (no, that's asking too much)...MENTIONING the guys picked today?

No shit, they let picks fly buy while the fucks talk about Brady Quinn over and over and over and over again.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:06 AM   #881
Logan
Head Coach

I might have missed it, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Bears taking Garrett Wolfe in the 3rd. He was projected as a 6th/7th guy.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:07 AM   #882
Logan
Head Coach

If I have to hear the phrase "legalized theft" one more time, I'm going to shove Mark May's Super Bowl ring up Salisbury's ass.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:10 AM   #883
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I never disliked Moss like others, I think a lot of stuff about him was blown way the hell out of proportion.

Except for the "give up" incidents, that's what concerns me. But for a 4th rounder? Worth the risk. I can't picture any scenario where one side aquiring a 4th rounder is equated to a lopsided trade.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:10 AM   #884
stevew
Hall Of Famer

At least none of y'all had to see your team trade up for a PUNTER. Ugh.

And Salisbury needs muzzled.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:11 AM   #885
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Anyone know why Siler is falling? I'm hoping he lasts until the Pats at 28 in the fourth, but I just can't see it.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:11 AM   #886
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Kinda feel bad for Caldwell and Gaffney though. They had what they probably consider breakout years and are now going to be buried on the depth chart going into training camp.

Last edited by jeff061 : 04-29-2007 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:26 AM   #887
miami_fan
Coordinator

IF his head is on straight, Denver got a good player in Marcus Thomas from Florida. He had some major drug problems at UF though.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:36 AM   #888
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

pats draft ANOTHER d-lineman. Wtf is up with P&B's hardon with d-linemen. Don't we have enough? how about a goddamm linebacker??

edit: kareem brown (DT) Miami

SI has him as a late-5th pick, so that's a reach by the pats

BIOGRAPHY: Former backup who became a full-time starter as a senior and posted 38/12.5/11. Junior totals were 46/8.5/4.5.
POSITIVES: Nice-sized athlete who flashes the ability to force the action. Quick off the snap, plays with good pad level and drives his feet up the field on contact. Possesses a burst of closing speed, plays with good explosion and chases the action hard. Resilient.
NEGATIVES: Must improve his hand technique and learn to protect himself. Cannot get off blocks once engaged at the point.
ANALYSIS: Improving his game as a senior after becoming a full-time starter, Brown offers the size and athleticism necessary to eventually see action with the first team at the next level.
PROJECTION: Late Fifth Round

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 04-29-2007 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:46 AM   #889
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
pats draft ANOTHER d-lineman. Wtf is up with P&B's hardon with d-linemen. Don't we have enough? how about a goddamm linebacker??

edit: kareem brown (DT) Miami

SI has him as a late-5th pick, so that's a reach by the pats

BIOGRAPHY: Former backup who became a full-time starter as a senior and posted 38/12.5/11. Junior totals were 46/8.5/4.5.
POSITIVES: Nice-sized athlete who flashes the ability to force the action. Quick off the snap, plays with good pad level and drives his feet up the field on contact. Possesses a burst of closing speed, plays with good explosion and chases the action hard. Resilient.
NEGATIVES: Must improve his hand technique and learn to protect himself. Cannot get off blocks once engaged at the point.
ANALYSIS: Improving his game as a senior after becoming a full-time starter, Brown offers the size and athleticism necessary to eventually see action with the first team at the next level.
PROJECTION: Late Fifth Round

Take it for what it's worth but he may have been the best lineman for the Canes last year. He was horrible at the Pro Day thus the drop but I think he will be a better player than 5th rounder.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 04-29-2007, 11:48 AM   #890
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Take it for what it's worth but he may have been the best lineman for the Canes last year. He was horrible at the Pro Day thus the drop but I think he will be a better player than 5th rounder.

just watched the video highlights and he does indeed look like he could be something. Just seems like we have a lot on the d-line already
Old 04-29-2007, 11:50 AM   #891
Logan
Head Coach

Any Husky fans around want to tell me about CB/S Dashon Goldson? Seems to have great size, but he wasn't rated very high. Guess this will be an "In Nolan I Trust" pick, and SF is allowed a potential misstep with how great this weekend has gone so far.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:51 AM   #892
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
just watched the video highlights and he does indeed look like he could be something. Just seems like we have a lot on the d-line already

Don't you have to trust BB with his evaluations of DTs from Miami?
Old 04-29-2007, 11:51 AM   #893
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Johnnie Lee Higgins a Raider! Will jbmagic and Jeeber finally have something in common?

Ugh, I felt sick to my stomach after seeing that last night. That's two years in a row the Raiders have picked a Miner...

It should be interesting to see if JLH and Russell develop a chemistry. Russell seems like an uber-Jordan Palmer. Big, strong arm, but better decision making skills...JLH could be catching lots of deep balls from him.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:51 AM   #894
Logan
Head Coach

I'm putting on my Schmidty hat for a minute.

FUCKING ESPN!!!@#@!!@!! WHY THE FUCK ARE THEY SHOWING SHAWN MERRIMAN ANALYSIS DURING THE NFL DRAFT?!?!
Old 04-29-2007, 11:52 AM   #895
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

When it comes to drafting in general I have a tough time second guessing the guy. I admit it .

Old 04-29-2007, 11:52 AM   #896
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

very true...very true. Hell I turst bb with his evaluation of all d-lineman. Just seems odd, considering where everyone traditionally rates our needs
Old 04-29-2007, 11:54 AM   #897
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
I think it's fairly safe to assume that Indy's pick and San Francisco's pick should be in roughly the same place this year. The 49er's were essentially one or two games out of making the playoffs last season. With the Cardinals having a new coach, the Rams still rebuilding, and the Seahawks on a downslope, it's not terribly optimistic to think that the 49er's should win the division next season.

As a 49er fan, I have to say that I think that's quite a bit of wishful thinking. The Colts are still going to be a 12-4 team, and the 49ers are far from a sure thing to win 9 or 10. But as long as the 49ers continue to progress, it should work out OK for them.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:57 AM   #898
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
very true...very true. Hell I turst bb with his evaluation of all d-lineman. Just seems odd, considering where everyone traditionally rates our needs

Well, they've never been big on picking linebackers. I never got why people thought they'd change now. For all the press the Pats get to the contrary, they really are not that unpredictable.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:59 AM   #899
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I think that it's tough to ever have too much talent on the offensive or defensive lines. It's like pitching in baseball.

Plus, how many times have we drafted LB under the Pioli/Belichik regime? It seems like they don't like to draft them but go after veterans. I can't really complain; sure we're old, but it's worked so far.

true. true. Eh...i dunno. Just seemed...interesting. But very true that I can't fault B&P on their evaluations of d-linemen, so maybe we've got ty warren-redux here. And maybe they know something we don't about guy's contract status or whatever
Old 04-29-2007, 12:00 PM   #900
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:

We still really don't have a true backup nose tackle. I imagine this is now him if he pans out. Mike Wright did an admirable job but he is in no way a true nose tackle.

I can now only think that the Pats will be picking up some FA LBs. Maybe Seau coming back, maybe Ed Hartwell. Who knows. The way this draft is shaping up with no LB picked, the first round trade that did not involve getting a 2nd round pick, and then dumping their 3rd round pick (for a total of 1 selection on the first day), then getting Moss -- this has been the most unpredictable Pats draft I have ever seen. I could never have imagined it.