Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-02-2007, 02:01 PM   #851
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I think he's a billionaire just with his ownership of the Redskins.

I think it's both his understanding of the market and his negotiating skills. The above article says the Skins are the only team negotiating for Briggs, if that's true he should lower his offer and put the pressure on the Bears.

This isn't the first time Snyder has negotiated against himself, it's pretty much SOP when he gets his mind set on a player.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:13 PM   #852
wade moore
lolzcat

Ugh. Please, PLEASE don't let this deal happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:42 AM   #853
Bee
Pro Starter

Redskins have said they haven't received the Bears counteroffer yet, so I'm guessing the Bears just floated that out to see if the Redskins would be interested. Sounds like they are, so I now expect the Bears to actually ask for either a second player or another 1st rounder in the future.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:22 AM   #854
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Snyder's going to pay whatever the Bears ask. With his terrible negotiating skills it's amazing that he's a billionaire.

Except that he has the second most profitable franchise in the world, only falling behind Manchester United. He doesn't have to have a winning product to have a huge profit. There's a cap, so in theory he's paying the same amount as anyone else, and it clearly doens't matter if they win.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:57 AM   #855
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Saints trade a 6th rounder to the Dolphins for Orlindo Mare. Seems like a win-win.

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news...articleid=3382

It also demonstrates how far Mike Vanderjat (sp?) has fallen. Not long ago, he was considered the best kicker in the league. Now, he is a free agent, and teams who need a kicker are trading for them instead of signing him off the street.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 04-04-2007 at 07:57 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:10 AM   #856
Logan
Head Coach

You can't even do that in FOF.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:57 AM   #857
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Not long ago, you would have spelled his name properly.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:32 AM   #858
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Saints trade a 6th rounder to the Dolphins for Orlindo Mare. Seems like a win-win.

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news...articleid=3382

It also demonstrates how far Mike Vanderjat (sp?) has fallen. Not long ago, he was considered the best kicker in the league. Now, he is a free agent, and teams who need a kicker are trading for them instead of signing him off the street.

I liked Carney but he is 43 years old, can't handle kickoffs, and anything over 45 yards and you're really not sure if he can make it... I think this is a good move, if nothing else have some competition in camp. Mare will also be moving into a dome, and Atleast 10 games this year will be in a dome- and that usually helps increase a kickers FG %.

As for the redskins - bears trade offer for Briggs, I think the Bears are crazy to pass up on that offer. Sure they might be holding out for more, but that is so one sided as it is they should jump all over that.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:15 AM   #859
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

In the immortal words of Dolly Parton, "Here we go again . . . . "

Asante Samuel has gone to the press and stated that he wants to be traded because the Pats have not come close to what he wants contract wise and he's letting teams know that he's open to moving.

First, we had Branch and now this guy. Nothing like another summer long watch on the contract front.

He's threatening to sit out the season (ala Mr. Briggs), but we all know that ain't gonna happen when he has 500k game checks sitting there waiting for him. It's one thing for Branch to be willing to skip on 70k game checks (or whatever it was), it's another to do so when it's 500k. One game check is more than Samuel made all of last season.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 04-05-2007 at 02:16 AM.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:09 AM   #860
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post

Asante Samuel has gone to the press and stated that he wants to be traded because the Pats have not come close to what he wants contract wise and he's letting teams know that he's open to moving.

First, we had Branch and now this guy. Nothing like another summer long watch on the contract front.

He's threatening to sit out the season (ala Mr. Briggs), but we all know that ain't gonna happen when he has 500k game checks sitting there waiting for him. It's one thing for Branch to be willing to skip on 70k game checks (or whatever it was), it's another to do so when it's 500k. One game check is more than Samuel made all of last season.

Hopefully the Patriots have Dan Snyder on speed dial.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:38 AM   #861
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Hopefully the Patriots have Dan Snyder on speed dial.

That one probably even makes more sense than Briggs though. The Skins have enough linebackers, but could probably use one more Corner. Skins swap #6 to the Patriots for the lesser of their #1's and Samuels. That's gotta be win-win for both sides.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:30 AM   #863
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

But getting another CB, even one as good as Samuel, means one of Smoot/Rogers has to sit. Samuel may be better than what they have, but it will mean more money that doesn't see much playing time.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:39 AM   #864
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

How good is Samuel in your opinion? Top-5 cornerback good? #1 starter good? #2 starter good?

Not that it makes a lick of difference what I think, but I am wondering if this is someone for whom the Saints should consider trading.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:45 AM   #865
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola--

I started a thread for this, then realized that the chance of truth was so low that it really didn't even deserve that:

Rumor has it that Mike Vick tore his ACL playing basketball.

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/ind...owtopic=240059

Chance of truth--about 2%, IMO.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:56 AM   #866
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I was going to say, that news deserves its own thread, but I guess not until it is somewhat verified.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:58 AM   #867
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Reading that thread, it looks like it may have been a guy who just made something up to get under people's skin.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:59 AM   #868
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
But getting another CB, even one as good as Samuel, means one of Smoot/Rogers has to sit. Samuel may be better than what they have, but it will mean more money that doesn't see much playing time.

Er. Isn't Smoot being called the nickelback? I think one of them is pushed out by Springs regardless. Probably Rogers.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:01 AM   #869
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

And now it looks like the thread has been deleted.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:02 AM   #870
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
dola--

I started a thread for this, then realized that the chance of truth was so low that it really didn't even deserve that:

Rumor has it that Mike Vick tore his ACL playing basketball.

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/ind...owtopic=240059

Chance of truth--about 2%, IMO.

i see someone else frequents sr.com
I'm pretty sure there is 0 truth to that now, although it would be great since they just traded Schaub.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:11 AM   #871
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
How good is Samuel in your opinion? Top-5 cornerback good? #1 starter good? #2 starter good?

Not that it makes a lick of difference what I think, but I am wondering if this is someone for whom the Saints should consider trading.

Obviously, I didn't see him as much as a Pats fan would, but I think he is definitely top-5 CB good. Off the top of my head, you have Bailey, Pacman, McAllister, and Hall as the top guys. That's definitely arguable, but I think Samuel could fit among that list and the guys who would also compete for that 5th spot.

I was happy when the Niners signed Clements because he was the best of the bunch and the "true" money wasn't as bad as advertised...but I said on here before the designations took place that I would be much happier if Samuel was free and the Niners didn't have to overpay for Clements.

He's well on his way to becoming a true shutdown corner, and if someone does throw near him, he's as good as anybody at picking it off and taking it the other way.

If I was a team that had a glaring need at corner and had a pick outside of the top 6 or so (when the so-called elite guys end), I'd trade the pick for a reasonably-signed Samuel and another pick (which would depend on what #1 they're getting).
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:28 AM   #873
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Yeah, but what do you do with the other 11 games when Springs isn't healthy?

Watch guys burn past Rogers to the hole Taylor created compensating for the other crappy Safety of the Week?

Old 04-05-2007, 09:50 AM   #874
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

He's the best defensive back in the history of the franchise, imo.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:54 AM   #875
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post

danny ainge knows more about football than you
Old 04-05-2007, 10:43 AM   #876
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
If I was a team that had a glaring need at corner and had a pick outside of the top 6 or so (when the so-called elite guys end), I'd trade the pick for a reasonably-signed Samuel and another pick (which would depend on what #1 they're getting).

I bolded the key part. I think if he was willing to be "reasonably-signed", he'd have a long-term deal already. Now he wants Clements money. And given that the Patriots have had success starting Troy Brown at CB, I don't think they'll pay Clements money. But they will pay him reasonably well.

I think Adalius Thomas needs to get on the phone with Samuel and convince him to get with the program...
Old 04-05-2007, 10:53 AM   #877
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Did the Skins sign Springs? I've been out of DC this week so if he's back I didn't hear. Of course if they have Springs, Rogers and Smoot what would they do with Samuel?

It wouldn't surprise me if the Skins made a run at Samuel, but I don't think it's a very wise use of cap space.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:56 AM   #878
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I bolded the key part. I think if he was willing to be "reasonably-signed", he'd have a long-term deal already. Now he wants Clements money. And given that the Patriots have had success starting Troy Brown at CB, I don't think they'll pay Clements money. But they will pay him reasonably well.

I think Adalius Thomas needs to get on the phone with Samuel and convince him to get with the program...

Can't say I blame either side here. For Samuel this is a shot at big bucks. He almost has to take it. You don't come off 10 int years to be a free agent many times in your career and he's young. He should take a swing.

For the Pats they don't want to tie up big dollars in a position where they like to rotate young guys through. There's merit to not breaking the bank on Samuel.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:19 AM   #879
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:

Clearly you're joking. Not even top 5.

Anyways, to the original question, he has skills, but really has one tremendous season and a bunch of good seasons. I just can't call him top 5 in the league with that. He could be. But that's the tricky thing about signing him right now. The question is was this his career year. So, in sum, I would call him an average #1 cornerback (top 12 or so). Of course, if he lights it up his first 8 games of next season, then that all changes.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:32 PM   #881
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Taylor is the other crappy safety of the week. Terrible in coverage. Vernon Fox was far and away the best S on the Skins roster last season.

No.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:16 PM   #882
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Did the Skins sign Springs? I've been out of DC this week so if he's back I didn't hear. Of course if they have Springs, Rogers and Smoot what would they do with Samuel?

It wouldn't surprise me if the Skins made a run at Samuel, but I don't think it's a very wise use of cap space.

I did not realize Springs was a FA. I thought he was coming back this year.

Quote:
Taylor is the other crappy safety of the week. Terrible in coverage. Vernon Fox was far and away the best S on the Skins roster last season.

Quote:
No.

I would say he had the best coverage skills at the S position last year. But I think Taylor was better in coverage in '05. He seemed to be trying to cover the whole field last year because of the deficiencies at CB and S.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:34 PM   #883
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
danny ainge knows more about football than you

That's a good point.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:11 PM   #884
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Ty Law and Mike Haynes would like to talk to you.

Samuel plays the same gambling style as Champ Bailey, except he's not (and no one else) is that good. Last year, especially late in the season, all his gambles paid off, but the previous couple years he would give up big plays as often as not. Whether it's a young player coming into his prime or a decent #1 CB who had a career year is up in the air. If both stay, I'd say there's a 1 in 3 chance Ellis Hobbs has a better season next year. (Even with Champ Bailey, 2 years ago he was getting torched deep repeatedly and hammered by football observers.)

As for a Pats/Redskins swap, that would probably only make sense if we could trade down again after getting the #6. The players going in the Top 10 of most mock drafts are primarily at positions we don't need (QB/DL.) Johnson won't be there, even if Adrian Peterson falls I don't know if we spend a #1 on a RB 2 years in a row, I doubt we'd take one of the Tackles. We need a CB (if Samuel leaves), but none are worth a Top 12 pick, and at Safety Landry/Nelson/Griffin seem fairly bunched on most peoples boards. Maybe Patrick Willis, but #6 overall seems a little high for him even after his 4.37 (before which I was hoping he'd slide to the 20's).
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:06 AM   #885
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Maybe Patrick Willis, but #6 overall seems a little high for him even after his 4.37 (before which I was hoping he'd slide to the 20's).

I think that fans of pretty much every team outside of the top 12 were hoping that Willis would slide to them.

(Not meaning that as a criticisim, of course. I just think that it is funny* that fans of several teams have mentioned him in particular--all with pretty much the same refrain--"If he hadn't run that 4.4, we might have had a shot at him.")

*Well, not "ha ha" funny. But you know what I mean.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 04-06-2007 at 07:09 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:33 AM   #886
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Patriots | Team talks trade with Redskins
Sun, 8 Apr 2007 11:54:32 -0700
Albert Breer, of the Boston Herald, reports the New England Patriots have been rumored to have been talking about a trade with the Washington Redskins, which would ship the Patriots 28th pick and CB Asante Samuel to the Redskins for the sixth overall pick. This would allow the Patriots to draft Louisiana State S LaRon Landry, an impact player who would be ready to start on the season opener.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:37 AM   #887
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Albert Breer, of the Boston Herald, reports the New England Patriots have been rumored to have been talking about a trade with the Washington Redskins, which would ship the Patriots 28th pick and CB Asante Samuel to the Redskins for the sixth overall pick. This would allow the Patriots to draft Louisiana State S LaRon Landry, an impact player who would be ready to start on the season opener.

This can't be true, it would be too good of a decision by the Redskins compared to the potential Briggs deal.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 04-09-2007, 12:01 PM   #888
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
This can't be true, it would be too good of a decision by the Redskins compared to the potential Briggs deal.

w00t

Old 04-09-2007, 01:05 PM   #890
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Wow. This would upgrade CB and still leave room to draft one of the 2nd tier DE's like Carriker, Moss or one of the UGA boys. That would be a significant upgrade. This really seems too good to be true.

Yeah - understand that my comments were made as a Redskisn fans. I would be pretty damned stoked for this deal. I don't know what Samuel's contract looks like, but he's a young, very good CB - even if we backup the Wells Fargo truck I still like this deal.

Quote:
Old 04-09-2007, 01:09 PM   #891
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
I don't know what Samuel's contract looks like, but he's a young, very good CB - even if we backup the Wells Fargo truck I still like this deal.

Well, since a new deal with the 'Skins is part of any negotiation (since he's currently tagged) you can rest assured that the Skins will employ theur usual strongarm contract tactics to give him far more than anyone else seems to think reasonable.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:10 PM   #892
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Well, since a new deal with the 'Skins is part of any negotiation (since he's currently tagged) you can rest assured that the Skins will employ theur usual strongarm contract tactics to give him far more than anyone else seems to think reasonable.

I don't doubt that. I guess my thought is at least this time it's for a good player that should have a positive impact on the team.

Quote:
Old 04-09-2007, 02:21 PM   #893
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Yeah - understand that my comments were made as a Redskisn fans. I would be pretty damned stoked for this deal. I don't know what Samuel's contract looks like, but he's a young, very good CB - even if we backup the Wells Fargo truck I still like this deal.

It is rumored we wants very close to Nate Clements money, at least in the first 3 years. I believe that was 22 mil in guarantees and 30 mil in the first 3 years. It is believed the Pats were offering just under 20 mil in the first 3 years.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:24 PM   #894
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

I read Breer's article. While Breer speculates about a rumored trade, I don't see where he even confirms there have been any talks, and it could very likely be Snyder floating something in the press again. My guess is the Pats hold them up for more than just the switch, like the Bears did.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:30 PM   #895
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
It is rumored we wants very close to Nate Clements money, at least in the first 3 years. I believe that was 22 mil in guarantees and 30 mil in the first 3 years. It is believed the Pats were offering just under 20 mil in the first 3 years.

If these rumors are true, than as with the Branch trade as much as I like the player, I'm glad they'll let him walk. Patriots are making a reasonable offer (and a pay raise from the prior year) to make him very well paid, but no player is worth what some of these FA guys are making. Again, I wish Thomas would have a talk with him.

Unless he starts with the whole "disrespect" thing just because the Pats won't overpay him like some other schmuck will, I'll wish him the best of luck in his new home.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:31 PM   #896
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

This may have already been posted, I looked but didn't see it in the thread

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...arrington.html

The Falcons signed quarterback Joey Harrington to a two-year contract Monday afternoon, the player's agent told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Harrington, drafted third overall by Detroit in 2002, met with members of the Falcons organization Friday about competing to be starter Michael Vick's backup. Harrington's agent, Joby Branion, said the player was en route to Atlanta on Monday.

Dealt to Miami last season after a futile tenure with the woeful Lions, Harrington served as Daunte Culpepper's backup with the Dolphins, starting 11 games after Culpepper suffered a shoulder injury and complications from a prior knee surgery. Harrington went 5-6 with Miami and was released after the season.

Harrington would join the team at new coach Bobby Petrino's first mini-camp, which begins Tuesday and ends Thursday. Harrington also would be united with quarterbacks coach Bill Musgrave, who, like Harrington, played quarterback collegiately at the University of Oregon.

The Falcons have said they would like to sign a veteran with game experience to compete with D.J. Shockley, James Killian and Chris Redman for the No. 2 quarterback spot.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:47 PM   #897
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Yep. And Harrington got 2 years, 6 million -- the same as David Carr I believe.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:28 PM   #898
FBPro
College Starter

I think Harrington is a decent signing as backups go, you could do worse.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:51 PM   #899
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro View Post
I think Harrington is a decent signing as backups go, you could do worse.

True. There will be consistency for the recievers in practice or in games, as they will be used to having the ball thrown nowhere near where they're at.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:54 PM   #900
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I'm kind of torn on the Samuel situation. I think it's even chance he never has another year like this or he becomes a perrenial pro bowler.

Only way they can go wrong with me is if they trade him for nothing, which won't happen.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote