Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-03-2004, 11:36 AM   #851
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
OK, in honor of the anniversary of Nik Borchesvky's OT goal, in continuation of some of the old-school Leafs talk from this thread, and in an effort to wash away the aftertaste of Sunday's debacle...

I now present the first installment of Hardcore Leafs Trivia.

That's right. None of this pansy "Who scored in overtime..." nonsense. The following questions range from relatively easy to "are you freaking kidding me". With a few exceptions, I believe these will be next-to-impossible to look up, but I still think that the hardcore Leaf fan will have a shot at most of them.

And yes, I actually know these off the top of my head. Kind of sad, isn't it?

Today's theme: the Leafs back-to-back playoff runs of 1993 and 1994.

TOR/DET, 1993
Each game in Detroit, HNIC would start it's broadcast with a shot of which Leaf standing silently by himself in the hallway prior to the game (5 points)?

TOR/DET, 1993, game four
After losing games one and two to the Wings in blowouts, the Leafs come home needing to win both games to stay in the series. The turning point of game four, and perhaps the entire series, was a thundering open-ice hit. Who threw the hit (1 point), and which Wing was on the receiving end (2 points)?

TOR/STL, 1993, game one
Everyone remembers Curtis Joseph's brilliant goaltending in the double-overtime Game One classic. But which future NHL starter had to come in to play goal during overtime when Joseph had to leave the game (2 points)? Which Leaf knocked CuJo out of the game and how (5 points)?

TOR/LA, 1993, game one
We all remember the classic Clark/McSorely fight after Marty decked Gilmour. But there was a second fight going on at the same time, which can only be seen in the background of the HNIC broadcast. Which two players were involved (3 points)?

TOR/LA, 1993, game five
The Leafs took the lead in the series on Glenn Anderson's overtime goal. Which King's half-hearted defensive effort allowed Anderson to be wide open to swat home the winning goal (3 points)?

TOR/LA, 1993, game six
This game will live in infamy for Kerry Fraser's missed call on Wayne Gretzky's high stick on Doug Gilmour in overtime. It wouldn't be overstating it to describe this game as the Leaf fans' Bill Bucker game. Still the only game in the history of sports to include all of the Sports Guy's 13 levels of losing. Sigh.

Anyway, the high-stick wasn't the only reason the Leafs lost. Some fans forget that Kings OT goal actually came on the powerplay. Which Leaf was in the box for boarding at the time of the goal (2 points)? Who did he hit (5 points)? And what was the ad on the boards that he hit him into (10 points)?

TOR/LA, 1993, game seven
HNIC opened it's broadcast of what Wayne Gretkzy would later call his "greatest game ever" and Leaf fans would later call "the game that should never have happened, Fraser, you bastard" with a montage set to the theme song of what classic sports movie? (10 points)

TOR/CHI, 1994, game two
With a 1-0 victory, the Leafs take a 2-0 series lead on Todd Gill's OT goal. Gill beats Hawks' goalie Eddie Belfour through the five-hole with a slapshot from the point, despite no traffic around the net, no deflections, and no screen. After the goal, Belfour goes ballistic. Why (5 points)?

TOR/SJ, 1994
What was unusual about the format of the TOR/SJ and later the TOR/VAN series (1 point)?

TOR/SJ, 1994, game six
With the Leafs down 3-games-to-2 and facing elimination, HNIC opened it's broadcast of game six with a video montage set to what appropriate musical selection (10 points)? Which Shark almost eliminated the Leafs, hitting the crossbar in overtime (5 points)? What song played at MLG when the Leafs scored to win the game (10 points)?

TOR/SJ, 1994, game seven
The Leafs beat the Sharks 4-2 to win the series. What was unusual about the final seconds of this game (5 points)?

#1- I was only 13....I think Felix Potvin...or Pat Burns....but Burnsy wasnt a player...

#2- Wendel Clark...and im gonna say he hit.....Ray Sheppard

#3- Easy....Guy Hebert

#4- I have no idea.....Dave Ellett and Charlie Huddy?

#5 Glenn Anderson....got the penalty with like 20 secs left in the third....it was a bs call......I have no idea who he hit...ill guess Darryl Sydor....and I cheated to get the ad....It was upper Deck.....I think....or Target....But I think it happend where the Upper Deck ad was....

#6- Cant remember...again...I was 13.....Rocky

#7- Damn...could be anything......Did he think the Net was off?.....

#8- 2-3-2.....I still dont like that format

#9- no idea which song.....um....Living on a prayer?......Igor Larinov hit the post...and passed when he had a open net.....And I have no idea what the music played when we won.....we are the champions?

#10- Clock problems?
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 11:56 AM   #852
klayman
College Benchwarmer

No no no. You are all wrong. The correct answer is who gives a F***.

/with apologies to Triumph for stealing his bit
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 12:28 PM   #853
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

A very, very solid performace by the young kid...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
#1- I was only 13....I think Felix Potvin...or Pat Burns....but Burnsy wasnt a player...
Burns was the one I was thinking of, although Potvin showed up in the shot too for games five and seven. Nicely done.

Quote:
#2- Wendel Clark...and im gonna say he hit.....Ray Sheppard
Clark threw the hit (of course it was Clark... who else could it have been?). Sheppard is incorrect.
Quote:
#3- Easy....Guy Hebert
Correct. Do you remember which Leaf took CuJo out for a shift?

Quote:
#4- I have no idea.....Dave Ellett and Charlie Huddy?
Nope.

Quote:
#5 Glenn Anderson....got the penalty with like 20 secs left in the third....it was a bs call......I have no idea who he hit...ill guess Darryl Sydor....and I cheated to get the ad....It was upper Deck.....I think....or Target....But I think it happend where the Upper Deck ad was....
It was Glenn Anderson (that bastard). I don't think it was Sydor. And the ad I was thinking of was the Target ad. If memory serves, Anderson put the guy right into the Target "bullseye" logo.

Quote:
#6- Cant remember...again...I was 13.....Rocky
Nope.

Quote:
#7- Damn...could be anything......Did he think the Net was off?.....
Nope.

Quote:
#8- 2-3-2.....I still dont like that format
Yep.

Quote:
#9- no idea which song.....um....Living on a prayer?......Igor Larinov hit the post...and passed when he had a open net.....And I have no idea what the music played when we won.....we are the champions?
Incorrect on the music, and it was not Larianov who hit the crossbar.

Quote:
#10- Clock problems?
Nope.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:57 PM   #854
Karim
College Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
No no no. You are all wrong. The correct answer is who gives a F***.

Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 01:01 PM   #855
Johnny93g
College Starter

Clark hit.....Paul Ysebart?

Foligno took Josephs head off with his skate...and Clark did it again in game 7

Andreychuck in the fight...with Pat Conacher

Garpenlov hit the post then.....

I dont know the others...and I call myself a Leaf fan......

Last edited by Johnny93g : 05-03-2004 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:07 PM   #856
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Clark hit.....Paul Ysebart?
Foligno took Josephs head off with his skate...and Clark did it again in game 7
Andreychuck in the fight...with Pat Conacher
Garpenlov hit the post then.....
I dont know the others...and I call myself a Leaf fan......
Incorrect on Clark's hit and the second fight. It was Johan Garpenlov who hit the bar. And it was Foligno who kicked Joseph in the head. Clark took his mask off with a shot in game seven.

Hey Klayman, here's some recent Flames Playoff trivia: Who had an eagle on the 15th hole in 1997...

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 05-03-2004 at 01:07 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 01:23 PM   #857
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

http://momentsintime.ca/1967_toronto_maple_leafs1.htm
Old 05-03-2004, 01:45 PM   #858
bbor
Pro Starter

ML....Your knowledge of useless trivia continues to amaze

Your wife must look at you like a deer (or dear ) caught in the headlights....or something similar to how Bryan Mccabe looked like last night.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 02:19 PM   #859
bbor
Pro Starter

Some media outlets are reporting that the Canucks are not going to renew Brian Burkes' contratc for next season.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:21 PM   #860
Simms
FOBL Commish

And in other breaking news....the sun will rise in the east tomorrow.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:41 PM   #861
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms
And in other breaking news....the sun will rise in the east tomorrow.

And people will call for the head of Pat Quinn and that Sundin should be traded for some Canadian player and if we package Antropov,Kidd and Clarke Wilm we should be able to get Sakic and Forsberg out of Colordo.

But only do that trade if Colorado throws in a 1st round pick.

Old 05-03-2004, 03:56 PM   #862
Simms
FOBL Commish

c'mon bbor....no way in hell Colorado would do that deal.

Swap Ponikarovski for Wilm, though, and we're golden.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:07 PM   #863
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

bbor, no guesses at all on the Leafs trivia? I'm speechless...
Old 05-03-2004, 04:20 PM   #864
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
And people will call for the head of Pat Quinn and that Sundin should be traded for some Canadian player and if we package Antropov,Kidd and Clarke Wilm we should be able to get Sakic and Forsberg out of Colordo.

But only do that trade if Colorado throws in a 1st round pick.

we'll give you Wendel Clark for Sundin. how's that?
Old 05-03-2004, 04:24 PM   #865
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
we'll give you Wendel Clark for Sundin. how's that?
We're going to need to add in Garth Butcher or it's no deal.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:46 PM   #866
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Hey Klayman, here's some recent Flames Playoff trivia: Who had an eagle on the 15th hole in 1997...

Hell, that could be anybody. My question is which Leaf has the best chance of beating or tying that record this weekend?
Old 05-03-2004, 04:47 PM   #867
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Hell, that could be anybody. My question is which Leaf has the best chance of beating or tying that record this weekend?
No fair...
Old 05-03-2004, 04:54 PM   #868
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
bbor, no guesses at all on the Leafs trivia? I'm speechless...

Busy at work...gonna take a run at those questions tonight....some of those are brlliant...the only 1 that came directly to my mind was Garpenlov....I can STILL hear the ringing post behind Potvin.

Old 05-03-2004, 05:40 PM   #869
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Busy at work...gonna take a run at those questions tonight....some of those are brlliant...the only 1 that came directly to my mind was Garpenlov....I can STILL hear the ringing post behind Potvin.

Johan Garpenlov? What the hell are you people trying to do me here? Why are you bringing up Johan Garpenlov? We stand on the presipice of the end of an era of Wings greatness and you people are bringing up Johan Garpenlov hitting the post against the Leafs. You are horrible people. Isn't my current pain and anguish enough for you people???

BTW, my favorite Garpenlov memory was a game agains tthe Whalers where Pat Verbeek attacked him and Steve Yzerman had to go to Garpenlov's defense, which resulted in Yzerman getting a "Third Man In" penalty and getting kicked out of the game.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 05:56 PM   #870
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

in non-Toronto/Detroit news...Paul Kariya says he's ready to play game 6. hopefully his definition of "ready" is not the same as Rob Blake's.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:25 PM   #871
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:

An easy question, but a natural follow-up....

Just seconds after the sound of iron finished echoing, who scored the OT-winner for the Leafs in that game?
Old 05-03-2004, 07:28 PM   #872
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Just seconds after the sound of iron finished echoing, who scored the OT-winner for the Leafs in that game?
This is actually a bit of a tough one, since it was probably the least memorable Leafs OT goal of recent history. Just a simple bank shot from a bad angle.

It was Mike Gartner who got credit, I believe.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:56 PM   #873
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
This is actually a bit of a tough one, since it was probably the least memorable Leafs OT goal of recent history.

Are you saying that Gary Valk's winner in game whatever-it-was in the 2nd round against Pittsburgh in '99 was *more* memorable that that?!

Quote:
It was Mike Gartner who got credit, I believe.

Yessir.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:53 PM   #874
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Are you saying that Gary Valk's winner in game whatever-it-was in the 2nd round against Pittsburgh in '99 was *more* memorable that that?!

Yessir.

That would be game 6...
Old 05-03-2004, 09:05 PM   #875
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

WOW! The crowd in Calgary is electric tonight.

Go Flames!

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 09:09 PM   #876
Johnny93g
College Starter

I decree that all Leaf overtime goals are memorable......i like Randy Wood's ot goal....as well as Cory Cross.......heres the question...what teams were they against.....what year....and what did it make the series(ex. 2 game to 1)
Old 05-03-2004, 09:13 PM   #877
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I decree that all Leaf overtime goals are memorable......i like Randy Wood's ot goal....as well as Cory Cross.......heres the question...what teams were they against.....what year....and what did it make the series(ex. 2 game to 1)

Wood was against the Hawks. Couldn't tell you anything else about it, tho. Sometime in the early-mid 90s

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 09:14 PM   #878
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Corey Cross was Game Three against Ottawa in 2001. It made the series 3-0, and was the stake in the heart of the Senators.

Well, you know. If the Senators had heart... Never mind.

Randy Wood... I'll have to think about that. Damn, I'm slipping.

Edit: If Wood was against the Hawks, I guess it must have been the 1995 series.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 05-03-2004 at 09:15 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 09:35 PM   #879
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

By the way, for those of you who were reading the trivia and wondering "What the hell is it with this guy and the HNIC opening music montage?"... well, see, it's like this.

When HNIC has a good music montage at the start of the game, the Leafs' chances of winning go up exponentially. When it's something else -- such as Ron MacLean trying to sound poetic, or the dreaded "fans milling around outside" shot that the CBC thinks we find so fascinating -- the Leafs usually lose.

Perfect example: Sunday's game against Philadephia. Instead of a montage, we get MacLean waxing poetic about Bobby Clarke and Keith Primeau and the beating heart of a captain. No music. Right then, you knew we were dead. Combined with the afternoon start, and my wife might as well have babbled though the Tkachuks, because the Leafs were done.

Compare that to Game Seven against the Sens. HNIC leads off with a rocking montage set to The Trews "Not Ready to Go". The Leafs go on to blow Ottawa out of the building.

By the way, I'm declaring "Not Ready to Go" as the official song of the 2004 Leafs playoff run. Yes, I have the authority to do this. It will go up there with the official songs of 1993 (Boys are Back in Town, by Thin Lizzie), 1994 (the answer to San Jose question in the trivia pack), and 2002's (Hero, from the Spider Man soundtrack*).

*Yeah, yeah, I know. I didn't say they all had to be good songs.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:52 PM   #880
Johnny93g
College Starter

Close enough.....Randy Wood scored the ot winner in game 6 against Chicago in the 84-95 playoffs.....LEafs were trailing 3 games to 2....and it extended the series to 7.....the Gardens went nuts that night....as did I....and our hearts were broken in a 5-2 game 7 loss....

I thought the Cory Cross goal was obvious.....Damn Senators
Old 05-03-2004, 09:53 PM   #881
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Hatcher showing his true colors.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:05 PM   #882
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Hatcher showing his true colors.

speaking of Hatcher and colors, am I the only one really distracted by the Home Depot commercial where they are scanning all the hockey players to match paint colors, and there's a guy from the Stars wearing #2?
Old 05-03-2004, 10:12 PM   #883
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
speaking of Hatcher and colors, am I the only one really distracted by the Home Depot commercial where they are scanning all the hockey players to match paint colors, and there's a guy from the Stars wearing #2?
Something else that annoys me...

Why is the goalie in that commerical wearing the number six? What goalie has ever worn #6? Didn't anyone involved in the commercial know that? Nobody thought to point out that? Come on people, I don't ask for much!
Old 05-03-2004, 10:53 PM   #884
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Close enough.....Randy Wood scored the ot winner in game 6 against Chicago in the 84-95 playoffs.....LEafs were trailing 3 games to 2....and it extended the series to 7

84-95, man that was a long series

SI

Old 05-03-2004, 11:57 PM   #885
bbor
Pro Starter

Wow.....Is H_B still alive?

Cory Cross' OT goal was amazing....I remeber thinking"who the hell shot that?" it was way too good a shot for Cross to have taken.

Old 05-04-2004, 12:28 AM   #886
Hurst2112
College Starter

Congrats to the Flames.

It is going to be really hard not to root for them being a Western conference guy and despising Colorado.

I am bummed, but, hell...I will get over it (faster than I did from 99-01 and last year).

I would susspect that there will be 3 coaching positions available this summer. I like Barry Smith and hope that he stays. I don't know what to think about Lewis.

Again, congrats to the Flames and their fans. They were the better team.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 12:29 AM   #887
bbor
Pro Starter

Damn....Gelinas again.

Poor Cujo

Old 05-04-2004, 12:34 AM   #888
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

The Wings just didn't seem to have that fire that they had a few years back. That was when you just felt like when they got to OT they said "OK, this is our time!" I think they need to take a hard look at Lewis and see if he's really the man for the job. Two straight early playoff exits says a lot with the guys on this team.

Please don't let Steve be finished...
Old 05-04-2004, 12:36 AM   #889
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I jumped up and down when Gelinas scored just now. I can't stand the Wings, and it was great to see them go down again. I hope the Sharks FINALLY close out the Avalanche, and I really want Philly to lose, but I don't see that one happening. My dream final four this year would be Calgary, San Jose, Tampa Bay, and Toronto. At least then I wouldn't have anybody to hate.

Great stuff tonight. I wish I'd noticed Kiprusoff earlier in the season, because I would've watched a whole lot more Flames games. Unlike Giguere's regular season last year (which was good but not great), Kiprusoff has kept this stuff up all season long since he took over the job. I hope he can keep this going for years to come, because they could build something great in Calgary around him and Iginla.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:36 AM   #890
JeeberD
General Manager

Huzzah! The evil Wings are dead!!!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 12:42 AM   #891
klayman
College Benchwarmer

And all is right in the world tonight. God bless Martin Gelinas.

Sorry H_B.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:43 AM   #892
Hurst2112
College Starter

Haters

Quote:
I think they need to take a hard look at Lewis and see if he's really the man for the job. Two straight early playoff exits says a lot with the guys on this team.

I would be willing to bet that Lewis will indeed be gone. Let's face it, this was Scotty's team. I think Lewis was put into a position to follow up the greatest hockey coach ever. That's a big order to fill. I realize that he was probably the best guy to take the reigns but it is obvious he can't get a team to give that extra 1 percent when it counts.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:51 AM   #893
bbor
Pro Starter

Will Cujo bear the brunt of this failure again?

Old 05-04-2004, 12:52 AM   #894
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Sorry, H_B, Hurst, and all the Wings fans out there. It really sucks when you have high hopes and they don't pan out (KU basketball every year, last year with the Cubs, the year Randy Johnson went to the Astros, practically every season with the Oilers, a couple of years with the Rockets before and after the title), so I'm going to spend the next 24 hours not bagging on Wings fans. That night when your team that you thought could win the title gets bounced once and for all, the only thing left is shock and that crappy feeling that you really can't come back now because it really is over.

So, my 24 hour no Wing bashing starts now. Then it's back to business as usual.

SI

Old 05-04-2004, 12:53 AM   #895
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:

Hopefully so. Cujo's a little bitch...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 12:53 AM   #896
klayman
College Benchwarmer

I don't see how fans could blame him, if he does. The Flames just wanted it way more than the Wings did, and sometimes that's enough.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:56 AM   #897
Hurst2112
College Starter

GP GS MIN W L T GA GAA SOG SV SV% ENG SO

8 7 438 4 3 0 11 1.51 153 142 .928 0 1

I wouldn't think so. I thought he did an admirable job despite my frustration with him. I think it's a matter of other guys not putting up the numbers or putting up a fight.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:00 AM   #898
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That seems kindof unfair considering he gave up 3 or less goals every game this series.

SI

Old 05-04-2004, 01:01 AM   #899
bbor
Pro Starter

He was even better in last seasons play-offs and they still blamed him.

Old 05-04-2004, 01:01 AM   #900
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
I don't see how fans could blame him, if he does. The Flames just wanted it way more than the Wings did, and sometimes that's enough.

Good word.

I was watching NHL tonight and listening to Ferraro talk about the Flames D.

One thing he mentioned, that I kinda noticed during the series was that Calgary did an excellent job of keeping the Wings on the outer edge of the offensive zone. When Kiprusoff did give a rebound, there weren't any Wings to follow up with another shot.