Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-15-2006, 03:31 PM   #851
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
As a matter of fact, this question came up on the NHL.com mailbag last week. Apparently, the official list will not be released until shortly after the playoffs end, but there's got to be an unofficial list someplace. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure where to look, but I'll dig around.

Awesome, thanks. It's too bad more team sites don't at least list when the players current contract runs out, as figuring if a guy is UFA or RFA isn't too bad with the other info they have on there.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:34 PM   #852
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Sorry, mini threadjack question.

Anybody know of a list of upcoming free agents, both UFA and RFA? Until I get an upgrade at work, I'm hit or miss on being able to view some sites, so I might have found this info in my searches and just been unable to view the page due to having to use an older browser.

Either way, this info is to help an ongoing discussion about the changeover the Oilers will experience in the offseason and just how much of the current roster we figure will be gone once the they're out of the playoffs.

This is from tsn.ca/nhl.

It's a list of the players Edmonton have under contract for the upcoming 06-07 season. It aint exactly what you were looking for, but it's a start for the "ongoing discussion"

PlayerContract Notes2006-2007 Salary (US)
Chris Pronger$6.25 million
Ryan Smyth$3.5 million
Jason Smith$1.976 million
Steve Staios $1.615 million
Ty Conklin $1.14 million
Ethan Moreau $1.064 million
Marc-Andre Bergeron $931,000
Matt Greene$925,000
Raffi Torres$875,000
Jussi Markkanen$850,000
Todd Harvey $539,200
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:37 PM   #853
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
You really need to write an Ontario NHL newsletter. Nothing but Sens and Leafs. All Ontario, all the time!

Now you know how Western Canada feels...
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:42 PM   #854
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Anybody know of a list of upcoming free agents, both UFA and RFA?

Here you go...
http://www.geocities.com/floridapant.../free2006.html

I don't know who this guy is but he's been on the ball for a couple years now.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:49 PM   #855
Travis
Pro Rookie

Perfect, thanks guys!

Though a bit scary how few Oilers could potentially be back. Wow.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:09 PM   #856
AgustusM
College Prospect

quick point on the booing the anthem in SJ last night.

I am a Sharks fan and I am appalled by the fact that it happened and thinks it is reprehensible.

However - prior to game 3 in Edmonton I was watching the game and while the guy was singing the American National Anthem the crowd repediately chanted "Lets go Oilers!" completely drowning the guy out. And I am not talking about 2 or 3 knuckleheads, I am talking about a huge number - so much so that on TV you could hear them OVER the guy with the microphone. Once the canadian anthem started they stopped and sang along to the anthem.

to me this is every bit as disrespectful.

I am not saying what the Edmonton crowd did justifies what the SJ crowd did - just that it is just as bad in my opinion.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:24 PM   #857
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Nah, I disagree, booing is a whole new level.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:32 PM   #858
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM
quick point on the booing the anthem in SJ last night.

I am a Sharks fan and I am appalled by the fact that it happened and thinks it is reprehensible.

However - prior to game 3 in Edmonton I was watching the game and while the guy was singing the American National Anthem the crowd repediately chanted "Lets go Oilers!" completely drowning the guy out. And I am not talking about 2 or 3 knuckleheads, I am talking about a huge number - so much so that on TV you could hear them OVER the guy with the microphone. Once the canadian anthem started they stopped and sang along to the anthem.

to me this is every bit as disrespectful.

I am not saying what the Edmonton crowd did justifies what the SJ crowd did - just that it is just as bad in my opinion.
Ya, ill agree...canada has done just as bad things these playoffs...i dont approve of either, but its not right for them to throw a fit when they do the same
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:48 PM   #859
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards4ever
Nah, I disagree, booing is a whole new level.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion - but I doubt you actually heard the Edmonton crowd. You literally could not hear the singer at all and he was so flustered he almost stopped singing. It was every bit as disruptive, in fact more so IMO and definitely a lot louder.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:17 PM   #860
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Of course you are entitled to your opinion - but I doubt you actually heard the Edmonton crowd. You literally could not hear the singer at all and he was so flustered he almost stopped singing. It was every bit as disruptive, in fact more so IMO and definitely a lot louder.

Dude, watch the tape again, he wasn't even close to flustered. He's been through much worse than that and pulls through wonderfully for both anthems. Heck, if you hear boo'ing any more during an anthem it's when they bring in some flavor of the night to sing rather than Paul and the crowd is ticked that we're not getting our usual guy singing. Anyways, back on track, this unfortunately pales in comparison to a few years ago when the crowd here would chant Tuuuuuuuuuuurco during the anthem.

While I may not agree that it is appropriate, cheering your home team isn't as bad as booing an anthem. Seems like splitting hairs when both are done during the song, but the level of disrespect is quite a bit different.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:29 PM   #861
bbor
Pro Starter

Why have the anthems sung before a game anyways?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:35 AM   #862
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

While I may not agree that it is appropriate, cheering your home team isn't as bad as booing an anthem. Seems like splitting hairs when both are done during the song, but the level of disrespect is quite a bit different.

I think Travis has pretty much summed up the whole situation acurately here.

I've seen it done a few times by a goofball or two at games where both anthems are played a few "knock it off asswipes" usually gets it stopped, I encourage all people to apply the same sort of peer pressure where they see it happening.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:07 AM   #863
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Even if you're description is 100% on the money, this isn't about whether the singer was disrupted. It's about respect, and while cheering over an anthem isn't very respectful it's not in the same ballpark as booing.

If Sharks fans were so offended, then cheer over the Canadian anthem if you need to. But booing an anthem crosses a line. I hope Oilers fans don't do it.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:24 AM   #864
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards4ever
I think Travis has pretty much summed up the whole situation acurately here.

Agreed.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-16-2006, 08:28 AM   #865
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

wasn't it Edmonton involved in the flag booing crap of a couple years ago? was it against Dallas?
Old 05-16-2006, 09:06 AM   #866
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
wasn't it Edmonton involved in the flag booing crap of a couple years ago? was it against Dallas?

No, that was Montreal (vs. the Islanders).
Old 05-16-2006, 09:47 AM   #867
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger

yes, this has happened before in the many Dallas-Edmonton series
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:32 PM   #868
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Meanwhile, congratulations to your ECHL American Conference Champion

(Which means there should be more live hockey action in my future. Gotta love still being alive as June approaches)
Old 05-17-2006, 12:30 AM   #869
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA

(Which means there should be more live hockey action in my future. Gotta love still being alive as June approaches)

Whatsa Gwinnet?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:15 PM   #870
kingfc22
Head Coach

Rolson plays like an NBA guard. He draws interference calls just like a good shooter draws fouls by leaning into the opposing player.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:26 PM   #871
kingfc22
Head Coach

Doesn't look good for the Sharks
Old 05-17-2006, 09:28 PM   #872
kingfc22
Head Coach

Can we score a freaking PP goal?!!! Because now would be the time.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:38 PM   #873
kingfc22
Head Coach

Buh bye sharks. Sad to see the November team showed up for the last 4 games of the postseason.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:40 PM   #874
st.cronin
General Manager

I didn't realize you were a Sharks fan, king. Can I have my Joe Thornton back, please?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:46 PM   #875
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
I didn't realize you were a Sharks fan, king. Can I have my Joe Thornton back, please?

Yea. They are behind the Niners and Giants as far as my die hardness goes. We have 7 rookies that got a lot of ice time and experience. Sharks should be able to do some big things next season.

After watching the Oilers kill us on faceoffs this series, that is one of the biggest areas of improvement this offseason. I'm not to sure what happened to our PP, but EDM just dominated us on special teams.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:49 PM   #876
bbor
Pro Starter

And somewhere Peter Puck is dancing.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:50 PM   #877
General Mike
Pro Starter

Congrats to the Oilers.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:52 PM   #878
kingfc22
Head Coach

Ahh crap. I ddin't know that Drew Remenda was leaving the Sharks announce booth.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 05-17-2006 at 09:59 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:18 PM   #879
bbor
Pro Starter

I would enjoy a Oiler/Sabre final.

Having said that i am SURE we will see a Canes/Duck final.

Old 05-17-2006, 10:23 PM   #880
Bad-example
College Starter

That was a rough stretch for the Sharks after losing that triple OT game. They are young and look to have a bright future. Congrats to the Oilers and their fans.
Drinking like a lumberjack and singing Delta Dawn
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:10 PM   #881
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
I would enjoy a Oiler/Sabre final.

Having said that i am SURE we will see a Canes/Duck final.

I was wondering what would end up being the apocalyptic scenario from a ratings standpoint for the NHL. Anaheim's the largest market left and (if you can call it such given the NHL) they're second-fiddle in their own metro area. Edmonton's the only name team left, really, and they're an eight seed. Buffalo and Carolina have great local support right now, but almost no one else will care much about them, even if they do have great teams.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:30 PM   #882
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:

Since the Brass folded, I haven't followed the ECHL very much, but congrats to the Gladiators. I'm glad that the Gladiators have managed to be competitive in all three of their years in the league. Good luck to them in the finals against Alaska or Fresno.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:50 PM   #883
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
I was wondering what would end up being the apocalyptic scenario from a ratings standpoint for the NHL. Anaheim's the largest market left and (if you can call it such given the NHL) they're second-fiddle in their own metro area. Edmonton's the only name team left, really, and they're an eight seed. Buffalo and Carolina have great local support right now, but almost no one else will care much about them, even if they do have great teams.

I honestly don't think it matters which teams are in the finals.The tv ratings are so low right now that they cannot possibly get any lower.In Canada the ratings would be higher if Edmonton reached the finals.....and prolly even better if it ends up being a Sabres/Edm final due to the close proximity of Buffalo to Canada.

Old 05-18-2006, 02:22 AM   #884
caspanky
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
Ahh crap. I ddin't know that Drew Remenda was leaving the Sharks announce booth.

Damn, I enjoyed his broadcasts. Where is he going? (if anywhere) and who is replacing him?

(EDIT) Nevermind, the Sharks posted on their site that he's moving back to Saskatoon to be with his family. I guess he's still going to do his radio show.

Last edited by caspanky : 05-18-2006 at 03:40 PM.
caspanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:00 AM   #885
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
Yea. They are behind the Niners and Giants as far as my die hardness goes. We have 7 rookies that got a lot of ice time and experience. Sharks should be able to do some big things next season.

After watching the Oilers kill us on faceoffs this series, that is one of the biggest areas of improvement this offseason. I'm not to sure what happened to our PP, but EDM just dominated us on special teams.
Nashville also owned the Sharks in the faceoff facet of the game. Man, they were so flat in the last three games of this series...ugly passes, horrible special teams, terrible puck handling. That save that Roloson made in OT2 of game 3 on Cheechoo's shot was the pivot for the whole series. An amazing glove save (though I think Cheechoo waited far too long to get the shot off) that kept the game going. If he lets that shot in, the Sharks are up 3-0, and there's no way they lose the series. That being said, Edmonton definitely showed the Sharks' weaknesses in the last three games, and I find it hard to believe that the team that put forth that effort could have gotten much further in the playoffs. Next year, we will be a year older and a year better, and I have high hopes.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:21 AM   #886
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Edmonton vs. Anaheim.
I thought each of these teams would win in Round 2, so it's not too much of a surprise. They are both playing some very good hockey. I think Anaheim has been the most impressive team in the playoffs so far. They simply dismantled the Avalanche. They put on a clinic. The Oilers just keep doing what they do. They win face-offs. They block shots. Roloson is a rock and then they use their speed and forecheck to create offensive chances and then capitalize on them. It's been guys like Peca, Smyth, Horcoff, Pisani, and Torres that have done the damage. Other than Game 6 against Detroit and a few other flashes, Hemsky and Samsonov have seemed almost invisible. That's playoff hockey.

This series is a toss-up. I think the layoff has a big chance of really hurting Anaheim. They had found a great rhythm and were just rolling along there, clicking on all cylinders. It's tough to pick that back up after 8 or so days off. Bryzgalov is also a bigger question mark in goal. Sure, he's been solid since taking over the starting role, but a lot of that has to do with how well Anaheim are playing defensively. Bryzgalov is a bit like Toskala in that, I feel, he could crack at any time. He's not nearly as prove or battle-tested as Roloson.

Anaheim have been a fun team to watch. This series should be great. They have good speed and physical forwards. Dustin Penner has been my favorite player in these playoffs. I very much look forward to seeing him battle Smith or Pronger behind the net or along the boards. They have Getzlaf, Lupul, Perrey, and all these other guys. Teemu has been playing like Teemu in the Olympics. Though the key player for the Ducks is and has been Scott Neidermayer. He's been outstanding.

I like Edmonton's defense and goaltending more than Anaheim's. Pronger and Neidermayer are a wash and I think Smith and Staios are better than anyone else on Anaheim's bench. I might give the Ducks a slight edge in forwards, but only very slight. I see Edmonton winning this in 6 or 7 games.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 05-18-2006 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:37 AM   #887
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Edmonton in 6.
Buffalo in 7.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:36 AM   #888
JeeberD
General Manager

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:38 AM   #889
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
I honestly don't think it matters which teams are in the finals.The tv ratings are so low right now that they cannot possibly get any lower.In Canada the ratings would be higher if Edmonton reached the finals.....and prolly even better if it ends up being a Sabres/Edm final due to the close proximity of Buffalo to Canada.

I'm getting to the point where I'm sick and tired of hearing about ratings. They always suck in the US, a majority could not care less about hockey - I get it. (I was listening to ESPN radio overnight a few days ago. There was a contest and the question was "Name a NHL team that has won or is currently leading in its series." One caller guessed Quebec. Then guessed Colorado - the day they were swept. The next caller guessed Tampa Bay followed by Ottawa.)

There are no problems with the game up here. It's the lead story on sport shows. The Memorial Cup is around the corner. Teams continue to sign draft picks. The draft is around the corner, followed by the off-season and rookie camp.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:50 AM   #890
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
I'm getting to the point where I'm sick and tired of hearing about ratings. They always suck in the US, a majority could not care less about hockey - I get it. (I was listening to ESPN radio overnight a few days ago. There was a contest and the question was "Name a NHL team that has won or is currently leading in its series." One caller guessed Quebec. Then guessed Colorado - the day they were swept. The next caller guessed Tampa Bay followed by Ottawa.)

There are no problems with the game up here. It's the lead story on sport shows. The Memorial Cup is around the corner. Teams continue to sign draft picks. The draft is around the corner, followed by the off-season and rookie camp.

I agree wholeheartedly. I sort of came to this point sometime during the lockout or at the beginning of the season. I don't care about the ratings. I am prefectly happy with hockey being a niche sport with a handful of fans. So long as there is enough support/interest to keep the NHL a healthy, viable professional sports league, then I am perfectly happy. If the league has to contract by a few teams here or there, I'd feel really bad for the fans of those teams, but it happens.

A lot of people even here in "Hockeytown" (a name which I despise) are bitching about the possibility of an "Anaheim vs. Carolina" Stanley Cup final or even an "Edmonton vs. Buffalo" final, because they are small market teams. I could give a rat's ass about how big a market these teams play in. They are good hockey teams that play a fast, skilled, exciting brand of hockey. I don't work for OLN or NBC or CBC or the NHL.

So long as there is enough money to keep the league going, I'm fine with low ratings and the lack of interest from the vast majority of people in America. As far as I'm concerned, those who don't like or get the sport are losing out. I feel sorry for them.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:11 AM   #891
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
I don't care about the ratings.

So you won't mind if the already high ticket prices go even higher?

Never mind the TV deals for a minute, think a little broader.

Low TV ratings equates to limited interest in the minds of many advertisers. And those advertisers are the same ones that teams count on for ads on dasher boards, arena signage, promotions, game programs, and so forth.

And yes, before anyone asks, these attendance based vehicles do suffer in the eyes of many advertisers based on the image of the sport ... an image that takes a hit every time the lack of TV numbers comes up. (Trust me, I know, I had a hell of a time getting a client to approve spending in NHL products even when the rates were low enough to make the deal very good).

And lest anyone think those things don't matter to them, keep in mind that they all represent revenue streams to the teams ... which will look hard to replace those revenues with something, with ticket & concession prices being an obvious option.

It's easy to be cavalier about, but those doing so might just be shooting themselves in the foot in the process.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:30 AM   #892
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
So you won't mind if the already high ticket prices go even higher?

Never mind the TV deals for a minute, think a little broader.

Low TV ratings equates to limited interest in the minds of many advertisers. And those advertisers are the same ones that teams count on for ads on dasher boards, arena signage, promotions, game programs, and so forth.

And yes, before anyone asks, these attendance based vehicles do suffer in the eyes of many advertisers based on the image of the sport ... an image that takes a hit every time the lack of TV numbers comes up. (Trust me, I know, I had a hell of a time getting a client to approve spending in NHL products even when the rates were low enough to make the deal very good).

And lest anyone think those things don't matter to them, keep in mind that they all represent revenue streams to the teams ... which will look hard to replace those revenues with something, with ticket & concession prices being an obvious option.

It's easy to be cavalier about, but those doing so might just be shooting themselves in the foot in the process.

I don't really care about ticket prices or concession prices. The last time I actually paid for a ticket to go to a NHL game was Game 4 of the 1998 Stanley Cup finals. I scalped those.

That said, I do understand the importance of ratings their relation to advertizing and all that, which is why I said:

"So long as there is enough support/interest to keep the NHL a healthy, viable professional sports league, then I am perfectly happy."

"So long as there is enough money to keep the league going, I'm fine with low ratings and the lack of interest from the vast majority of people in America."

Obviously there is a ratings minimum amount necessary to keep the league viable. Would a Rangers vs. Red Wings Cup Final help the league in terms of ratings? Yeah, I'm sure it would for that series and maybe a little the next year, but I don't think it'd have that much lasting power.

By all accounts the league made more money this year than expected, which is why there is all this debate about how much to raise the salary cap. League attendence overall was up, though I assume the TV ratings were absolutely abysmal for the most part. Given that the league appears to be healthy and viable, despite low ratings, is where my view is coming from. I agree, it is possible that over the long-haul low ratings will begin to really eat away at that league, but the TV ratings have been crap for a long time now and things have rolled on (the lockout aside).

Jon, any idea how NBC's broadcasts have been doing as compared to the ABC or Fox national broadcasts a few years back? I imagine they've remained flat or fallen, though I can't say for certain.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 05-18-2006 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:35 AM   #893
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
any idea how NBC's broadcasts have been doing as compared to the ABC or Fox national broadcasts a few years back? I imagine they've remained flat or fallen, though I can't say for certain.

from the May 1 edition of www.medialifemagazine.com

ratings for the playoff openers last weekend on NBC dipped about 20 percent versus the same games on ABC in 2004, from a 1.5 to a 1.3 household rating.

NBC has already been criticized for its coverage of the playoffs, which could turn off casual fans. The announcers have been derided for playing cheerleader for the league, and camerawork for the fast-paced games has been lacking. That won’t help build an audience.

“If you didn’t know better, you’d think [NBC announcer] John Davidson ... was under strict instructions to follow the company line and sell, sell, sell the game despite its obvious imperfections,” writes Jerry Lindquist of the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

Interestingly, hockey is still as popular as ever with its most devoted fans. To the north, Canada’s LeReseau des sports network recorded its best ratings in its 17-year history for games two and three of the Montreal Canadiens’ playoff series with the Carolina Hurricanes, drawing just over 1 million to each game.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:07 AM   #894
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:

ratings for the playoff openers last weekend on NBC dipped about 20 percent versus the same games on ABC in 2004, from a 1.5 to a 1.3 household rating.

NBC has already been criticized for its coverage of the playoffs, which could turn off casual fans. The announcers have been derided for playing cheerleader for the league, and camerawork for the fast-paced games has been lacking. That won’t help build an audience.

“If you didn’t know better, you’d think [NBC announcer] John Davidson ... was under strict instructions to follow the company line and sell, sell, sell the game despite its obvious imperfections,” writes Jerry Lindquist of the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

Interestingly, hockey is still as popular as ever with its most devoted fans. To the north, Canada’s LeReseau des sports network recorded its best ratings in its 17-year history for games two and three of the Montreal Canadiens’ playoff series with the Carolina Hurricanes, drawing just over 1 million to each game.

What's John Davidson supposed to say? Davidson loves hockey and isn't going to put the game down in anyway. I for one, will miss him as an announcer if he becomes the next GM of the Blues.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:32 AM   #895
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Thanks for that. I am not too surprised at the numbers. I don't think Davidson's to blame. I didn't find him nearly as annoying as, say, Pierre Maguire as "The Man In The Box."

I think NBC's decision to only air one of the two games in HD was a poor choice. Like all sports, Hockey really benefits from an HD broadcast. It probably benefits even more so given the difficulty so many people appear to have following the game on TV. That would have helped sell the sport a little better.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:11 PM   #896
bbor
Pro Starter

Stop trying to sell the game to people who are'nt interested.Cater to the ones who are.

Old 05-18-2006, 01:39 PM   #897
Travis
Pro Rookie

The biggest danger to the NHL is increasing the salary cap too much at any time. I think that right now they're at a point where a vast majority of the teams can afford to be competitive with current ticket prices, and while I could be wrong, it's not like the NHL has ever made a killing on TV deals, so I can't imagine that low ratings now or moving forward is making a big difference to their economy as they're used to it being.

The kicker is that if you can't increase that area of revenue, yet increase what you're expecting teams to spend to compete, then you're of course immediately looking to ticket prices. I hope they're smart enough to go 2-3 years without any drastic financial change, let things settle in and get realistic numbers to work with. The way player salaries are tied to the cap, the likelihood that you'll ever be able to reduce the cap is pretty slim, so make sure you don't increase it at a rate that will end up creating disparity in the league again.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:02 PM   #898
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Sabres have made a $3.6 mil profit already and we just sold out round 3 in 17 minutes ($600k reg season, $3mil 1st two rounds)

Only 2k tickets per game were available on Wednesday but I got mine
See ya at game 4!
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:56 PM   #899
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
The biggest danger to the NHL is increasing the salary cap too much at any time. I think that right now they're at a point where a vast majority of the teams can afford to be competitive with current ticket prices, and while I could be wrong, it's not like the NHL has ever made a killing on TV deals, so I can't imagine that low ratings now or moving forward is making a big difference to their economy as they're used to it being.

The kicker is that if you can't increase that area of revenue, yet increase what you're expecting teams to spend to compete, then you're of course immediately looking to ticket prices. I hope they're smart enough to go 2-3 years without any drastic financial change, let things settle in and get realistic numbers to work with. The way player salaries are tied to the cap, the likelihood that you'll ever be able to reduce the cap is pretty slim, so make sure you don't increase it at a rate that will end up creating disparity in the league again.

I don't think this will be that big of a concern for two reasons. First, the cap is directly tied to league revenues. I think the max is something around 54% of total league revenues. So, the cap can never get above that. Second, because players' salaries are tied to the cap and the cap is tied to league revenues, they players have an interest in keeping the cap within reason.

There is some sort of escrow system in which the players all pay a some portion of their salary into. If league revenues don't meet expectations, they don't get that money back. It's a big debate that will happen shortly after the season ends. It may delay free agency while the NHL and NHLPA come up with a cap number that makes everyone happy. Players have competing interests in 1) having a max cap that will boost salaries across the board, but has a chance of them losing money through the escrow system or 2) having a lower cap that will lower salaries across the board, but more likely than not avoid escrow.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:33 AM   #900
RendeR
Coordinator

Ducks in 5, Edmonton's miracle ends in Anaheim.

Sabres in 6, Carolina strts quick but falters to more consistant goaltending and defense in Buffalo.

Sabres Finally win a Cup, Hoisted at Home in game 5 over the Ducks.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote