Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-21-2022, 09:14 AM   #851
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Good game, Thomkal. Sigh.

This Saints team isn't horrible. But it isn't good either. And that sense I've had for so long that "Payton will find a way to get the team right" whenever it hits a rough patch obviously isn't there.

Dennis Allen seems like the classic great-coordinator / bad-head-coach guy.

I think it would have been a lot closer without the pick-6's. Dalton still threw for over 300 yards I think with a horrible Cards defense (other than the pick-sixes). Defense gave up a lot of points though.
Old 10-21-2022, 10:59 AM   #852
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Is it common knowledge that the state of Maryland was going to seize the Colts from Bob Irsay? I knew there were issue with not getting a new stadium but I did not know they were going to take the team from him.

I had never heard that.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 11:18 AM   #853
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Is it common knowledge that the state of Maryland was going to seize the Colts from Bob Irsay? I knew there were issue with not getting a new stadium but I did not know they were going to take the team from him.

I don't think it is.

And that was the reason for the "Midnight Move" since one side of the Maryland legislature had passed a bill authorizing seizure of the team.
Old 10-21-2022, 12:12 PM   #854
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I think it would have been a lot closer without the pick-6's. Dalton still threw for over 300 yards I think with a horrible Cards defense (other than the pick-sixes). Defense gave up a lot of points though.

Y’all need a better coach, IMO. You’re all fence seems to be “Kyler, do shit.” And the thing is, he is so physically talented that that works a decent amount of the time. But I do not get the sense that he is being used well.

Y’all could still win this division easily with Kyler doing shit and DeAndre Hopkins and Robbie Anderson. But I think you need a better coach to take it all the way.
Old 10-21-2022, 01:28 PM   #855
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Y’all need a better coach, IMO. You’re all fence seems to be “Kyler, do shit.” And the thing is, he is so physically talented that that works a decent amount of the time. But I do not get the sense that he is being used well.

Y’all could still win this division easily with Kyler doing shit and DeAndre Hopkins and Robbie Anderson. But I think you need a better coach to take it all the way.

I don't disagree with what you said here. As much as I love watching him make something out of nothing, I'd prefer he did it a whole less often. Maybe now with Hopkins back (he had 100 yards receiving last night) and the addition of Anderson, and use Ertz more, it will take some of the pressure off him to do everything when nobody else is stepping up. I think however Kyler loves being the center of everything, not sure what coach could get him to ease up on it though. Get an O-line that can protect him more from being chased out of the pocket.
Old 10-21-2022, 01:34 PM   #856
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
McCaffery to the 49ers. Seems reasonable. Lots of future cap relief and some good pick value there. Panthers might be trying to ensure the first overall pick.

As the Panthers local TV area here, its gonna suck having to watch them now without him and whatever QB gets off the merry go round to start. I liked how they used McCaffery last week with the interim head coach, not sure they have enough talent at RB to do that now. Really sucks that he got traded to a divisional rival of my beloved Cards too.

Trade made perfect sense for the Panthers though-they don't have enough talent to contend with McCaffery on the roster, so best trade him when he's still healthy and pick up a lot of much needed draft picks in return.
Old 10-21-2022, 01:44 PM   #857
Swaggs
Coordinator

Kliff Kingsbury has been allowed so much rope for what his career success has 'earned.'

Six years at Texas Tech with a 35-40 record (19-35 in the Big 12) and only finished in the top half of the league once (when he finished tied for 5th in 2015), despite having Patrick Mahomes, Baker Mayfield, and Davis Webb at various times while there. And it wasn't like his tenure was the golden age of the Big 12 or anything.

Gets fired from his alma mater and parlays that into an NFL gig, where he goes .500 in his first three years and 'earns' a six year extension. His agent must be the best in the business.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 04:28 PM   #858
bhlloy
Coordinator

Incoming college offensive coordinator for Clay fucking Helton to NFL head coach has to be the biggest over promotion in history. As pointed out he was a failed college HC before that. He and his agent have absolutely played the Cardinals for fools.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 05:12 PM   #859
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
McCaffery to the 49ers. Seems reasonable. Lots of future cap relief and some good pick value there. Panthers might be trying to ensure the first overall pick.

Feels like one of those trades where everyone wins. 49ers were sitting on a ton of compensatory picks too.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 04:24 PM   #860
miami_fan
Coordinator

Broncos QB Russell Wilson ruled out; Brett Rypien to start
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 05:45 PM   #861
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Had to look. Mark's nephew. Cool.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 01:26 PM   #862
cuervo72
Head Coach

Old news, but the CBS studio crew is not good. Halftime rundown has all the flow of middle school student-run morning announcements.
Old 10-23-2022, 02:31 PM   #863
bhlloy
Coordinator

The Lions defense shows up and the offense finds any way they possibly can to give the game away. You feel sorry for Dan Campbell and all the players and fans, but honestly the best thing might be to get a shot at Young or Stroud next year.
Old 10-23-2022, 02:54 PM   #864
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

No matter the season, no matter the reason, Lions going to Lion

And remember fans, you can't spell LOL without Lions.. as long as you take the L twice, which Detroit has taken so many L's they have tons in surplus
Old 10-23-2022, 03:02 PM   #865
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

This is the Bengals team I was hoping to see.
Old 10-23-2022, 03:25 PM   #866
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

That would have replaced the Miracle in Miami as the most bananananananananananas end of game if he had caught that ball (and the flag hadn't been thrown)
Old 10-23-2022, 04:57 PM   #867
Thomkal
Head Coach

Was not expecting the Bucs to be the team to choke with Carolina on its 4th string QB, best RB and one of their WR's traded this week.
Old 10-23-2022, 06:28 PM   #868
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

So, if I say "I think Tom Brady is washed up" would that mean that he'd all of a sudden go undefeated the rest of the season?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 06:52 PM   #869
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
So, if I say "I think Tom Brady is washed up" would that mean that he'd all of a sudden go undefeated the rest of the season?

God I hope not
Old 10-23-2022, 06:57 PM   #870
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Jets fear Breece Hall tore his ACL.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 07:14 PM   #871
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Only one way to find out: an NFL WIP depicting it would be the perfect test.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 07:26 PM   #872
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

I think the only obvious answer to Brady's play is that Gisele is a witch and she's removed the spells protecting him.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 07:27 PM   #873
sabotai
General Manager

That's it. I'm tapping out. Live sports are the only thing I watch anymore where I'm subjected to commercials, and I can't take the bombardment of political ads anymore. I'm just going to watch Redzone for now on until after the election is finally over.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 07:53 PM   #874
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
That's it. I'm tapping out. Live sports are the only thing I watch anymore where I'm subjected to commercials, and I can't take the bombardment of political ads anymore. I'm just going to watch Redzone for now on until after the election is finally over.

I've been watching sports muted for many years now. I even hit the menu button during commercial breaks so I don't have to see the commercials any more.

I wonder if the Seahawks have a serious decision to make about Geno Smith. He has been excellent for them - has them in playoff contention and I don't think they would be close without him.

The Bucs have to decide whether they think enough of Kyle Trask to give him a look late this year. I suspect they don't, or he'd be their primary backup.

Unfortunately, Brady at 45 seems to have finally unveiled his portrait in the attic. It's not all his fault - they have the worst rushing attack in the league and he's 198-296 (66.9%)-1942-8-1 on the season, which is a little light on the yards per catch, but otherwise quite good. But he's no longer forcing opponents to give up on good run defense. I think he's still in the top half of NFL quarterbacks, but that's not how you want to go out.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 07:54 PM   #875
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post

I don't blame you. And I can't imagine what ads are going to be like two years from now during a presidential election.
Old 10-23-2022, 07:56 PM   #876
Ksyrup

Tomlin seems to be headed for his first losing season.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-23-2022, 07:57 PM   #877
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Brady showing you can't be a part time QB during the week and show up on Sunday expecting to win.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 09:34 PM   #878
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Brady showing you can't be a part time QB during the week and show up on Sunday expecting to win.

Well, that or being 45

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 09:48 PM   #879
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Najee Harris isn’t very good.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 10:15 PM   #880
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That’s like 4 dropped interceptions of Tua tonight
Old 10-23-2022, 10:40 PM   #881
Ksyrup

Neither QB was (is? will be?) any good.
Old 10-24-2022, 08:45 AM   #882
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Never in my wildest dreams did I think the giants would be 6-1. Lots of talk before this past week about them being the worst 5-1 team in history. They put that to bed yesterday winning on the road not playing their best game. Dabol can flat out coach.
Old 10-24-2022, 09:07 AM   #883
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Najee Harris isn’t very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
That’s like 4 dropped interceptions of Tua tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Neither QB was (is? will be?) any good.

The offense is complete shit. Like, not even a second thought about just how bad it is. Pickett deserves more than a minute to figure the team out, and there's tons of young guys. It really feels like the offense is missing leadership and spirit. I know that doesn't score touchdowns, but there's no identity there, and that sort of takes time.

The defense has the talent, but my goodness, you gotta get that ball. You can't keep bailing out the other team and expect to win. Just look at the last throw from Pickett. Just one of those picks going the other way could have changed the entire game.

Still willing to deal with being shit this year and the next couple. It's a process. I still have faith that Tomlin is a fantastic coach, but the direction of the offense is not good.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 10:06 AM   #884
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Well, that or being 45

SI

I think people no let me speak for myself, I would be more likely to give him the benefit of the doubt and lean more on his age if not for the amount of time that he has missed around the team this season. That stuff always seemed really important for Brady and for his teams.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 11:36 AM   #885
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Never in my wildest dreams did I think the giants would be 6-1. Lots of talk before this past week about them being the worst 5-1 team in history. They put that to bed yesterday winning on the road not playing their best game. Dabol can flat out coach.

They go 4-6 from here on and they are still probably in the playoffs.
Old 10-24-2022, 12:54 PM   #886
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
They go 4-6 from here on and they are still probably in the playoffs.

Trust me I do the math every week.
Old 10-24-2022, 01:32 PM   #887
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Matt Ryan benched for Sam Ehlinger

Last edited by stevew : 10-24-2022 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-24-2022, 01:33 PM   #888
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Colts just announced Matt Ryan won’t be the starter for the rest of the season. It’s very oddly worded to me. I don’t understand why you would close that door completely. Ryan has been bad but that offensive line has just been brutal to watch.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 01:52 PM   #889
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

A third-rounder for seven games from a 37-year old clearly in decline. Smart move. Foles could have done as well.

And now Ehlinger? OK, why not give him a look? A lot of experience in a major college program. Not as athletic as many others out there. Went in the sixth round a year ago. Looked really good in the pre-season.

I'd be far more enthusiastic about this if they hadn't gone to the trouble to acquire Ryan, a year after dabbling with a soon-to-be-retired Rivers. Are they getting Rodgers next year? Maybe in five years, they can entice Brady out of retirement.
Old 10-24-2022, 02:10 PM   #890
bhlloy
Coordinator

Irsay is getting all the QBs he wrote down were really good 8 years ago during a particularly wild bender after Peyton won that SB with the Broncos.

In all seriousness, how you can watch the way the NFL is trending right now and think going out and getting a couple of aging game managers with fading arms is the recipe for success… man. Somebody is getting paid a ton of money to make those decisions. Why the hell not try out Ehlinger? Stranger things have happened than finding out you had a starter on the bench the whole time.
Old 10-24-2022, 02:50 PM   #891
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
The offense is complete shit. Like, not even a second thought about just how bad it is. Pickett deserves more than a minute to figure the team out, and there's tons of young guys. It really feels like the offense is missing leadership and spirit. I know that doesn't score touchdowns, but there's no identity there, and that sort of takes time.

The defense has the talent, but my goodness, you gotta get that ball. You can't keep bailing out the other team and expect to win. Just look at the last throw from Pickett. Just one of those picks going the other way could have changed the entire game.

Still willing to deal with being shit this year and the next couple. It's a process. I still have faith that Tomlin is a fantastic coach, but the direction of the offense is not good.

I'm not as frustrated with them as I thought I would be this year. I can squint my eyes and convince myself that, had TJ Watt not gotten hurt, they could have beaten the Patriots (0 sacks, 3 QB hits), Dolphins (0 sacks, 1 hit), and/or Jets (1 sack, 6 hits). In each of those games, they were sorely missing any type of pass rush and lost one score games to inexperienced QBs. A couple of hurried passes or timely sacks and they could be sitting at 5-2 or 4-3. As it is with the upcoming schedule , I can (unfortunately) see us getting to 6-8 wins and ending up more in the middle of the draft than in the top 5 or 8.

I'm concerned about the last two number one picks. Not that they aren't NFL caliber, just that they took both Harris and Pickett as position of need guys rather than BPA. Harris seems like a great kid and hard worker and says all the right things, but he's probably as good as he is going to be and is going to have a lot of mileage on him by the time the offense affords him enough space to be productive and I'm guessing the team isn't going to to want to spring for a second contract for a guy that is going to have had 350 touches per year going into his 5th or 6th year. Pickett seems like he has all the intangibles, but, to me, he doesn't look like he has the arm strength to make NFL throws consistently. I've watched all 7 of his INTs live and most of them have been under throws or haven't had enough velocity to get where they needed to in time.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see either being cornerstone players for us and that's a problem (I can see Harris being that guy for a few years, but probably not in a time that coincides with us having a franchise QB). We need some guys to step up.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 03:15 PM   #892
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Campbell
"So we got to keep this in the true perspective of the fact that, hey, our defense is playing pretty good football right now and we got to continue to do that."

Perception, meet reality.

The 1-5 Lions have allowed an NFL-worst 32.3 points per game, hardly against an all-star lineup of opponent offenses (Prescott was coming off of a long layoff with an injury to his throwing hand yesterday) and are on pace to set the league record for points allowed.

But Campbell is unhappy because of fumbles, which are somewhat random and have a rather low overall impact on a season.

This team could resurrect Bill Walsh and still find a way to miss the playoffs every year. Something happens to the brain when one enters the staff offices in Allen Park.
Old 10-24-2022, 07:43 PM   #893
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Is the Pats defense this bad?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 07:51 PM   #894
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
... to me, he doesn't look like he has the arm strength to make NFL throws consistently. I've watched all 7 of his INTs live and most of them have been under throws or haven't had enough velocity to get where they needed to in time.

I'll admit. I haven't seen many of his throws, but after watching him. I had the same thought. His arm speed isn't big enough. Not that he doesn't have potential for a big arm, or accuracy, but either he's not fast enough, or his release isn't quick enough. But again, I had the same thought you did.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 10-24-2022 at 07:54 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 08:08 PM   #895
Ksyrup

Has Mac Jones been Bledsoe'd?
Old 10-24-2022, 08:08 PM   #896
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, if it turns out the Patriots have another late-round wonderboy I'm gonna have to tap out of the NFL.
Old 10-24-2022, 08:12 PM   #897
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Has Mac Jones been Bledsoe'd?

My sense is that if Zappe has to face a good NFL pass rush, he has the pocket awareness of the Venus de Milo.
Old 10-24-2022, 08:15 PM   #898
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Or some desperate team will massively overpay in draft picks for him at the end of the season.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 08:31 PM   #899
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

NE fans are *in* on Zappe. You can hear the crowd get excited on a play action pass b/c they will get to see him throw the ball.
Old 10-24-2022, 09:02 PM   #900
cuervo72
Head Coach

Is Fields like, magnetized against the ball or something?