Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2013, 07:08 AM   #851
saldana
Pro Starter

only the standard 3 game suspension for Hazard.

FA: Eden Hazard ban will not be extended - ESPN FC

now if they can just deliver a suspension for ferguson's remarks about the assistant referee from 2 weeks ago, they might actually look like a credible governing body.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #852
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

great article by David Sullivan the co-owner of West Ham on the dark side of the transfer window

link
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #853
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Benitez HAS to be out after a loss to Newcastle, right?
Old 02-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #854
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Benitez HAS to be out after a loss to Newcastle, right?

My guess is his goose is well and truly cooked - but that he might linger until the end of the season unless they have a quality replacement already in the wings (which I don't think is the case) .....

(was a bloody good match that one )

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 02-02-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #855
miami_fan
Coordinator

They could always bring back DiMatteo off of gardening leave
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #856
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
They could always bring back DiMatteo off of gardening leave

They should never have let him go imho - if he'd remained in charge they'd be in a much better place as a club imho ......

Can't see Abramovich ever admitting he was wrong though can you?
Old 02-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #857
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
They should never have let him go imho - if he'd remained in charge they'd be in a much better place as a club imho ......

Can't see Abramovich ever admitting he was wrong though can you?

No I don't but I don't think Abramovich believes he is wrong. I don't think Abramovich ever believed DiMatteo was in charge. After bringing in AVB to be "in charge" and to make major changes, I think Abramovich believes RDM was just in the seat for the ride as the players were on auto-pilot during last season's CL run.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #858
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
No I don't but I don't think Abramovich believes he is wrong. I don't think Abramovich ever believed DiMatteo was in charge. After bringing in AVB to be "in charge" and to make major changes, I think Abramovich believes RDM was just in the seat for the ride as the players were on auto-pilot during last season's CL run.

Yeah, probably - after all, last time Chelsea sacked a Portuguese manager and went to penalties in the CL final under his temporary successor, it turned out Avram Grant really wasn't a Premiership-level manager. One can see how Abramovich might assume the same thing had happened again, if not why he thought Benitez would be an improvement.

At this point, I think the only question is whether Benitez or Jose Mourinho gets sacked first - and, if it's Mourinho, whether Abramovich is any more interested in rehiring him than he is in rehiring RDM.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #859
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Balotelli (1 goal in 14 premier league starts), scores two in his AC Milan debut, including a 94th minute game winning PK.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #860
AlexB
Pro Starter

In League 1 yesterday, a quirky story... Hartlepool beat Notts County 2-1 with the goals coming from Hartley and Poole!
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #861
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
In League 1 yesterday, a quirky story... Hartlepool beat Notts County 2-1 with the goals coming from Hartley and Poole!

Hartlepool was the team that I lead from the lowest division to highest division title in a 10 year span in the game One-Nil. Still one of my life's greatest accomplishments.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #862
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
It is funny, isn't it? I here all the time about the discrimination and intolerance in America. Yet I have never been at a sporting event where a racist chant was yelled out. Not once. I know there have been some idiotic taunts (I seem to remember in a college hoops game a kids dead father was brought up once) Overall? We just wouldn't put up with it. We wouldn't subject our kids to it either.
We could use that kind of atmosphere in and around soccer games overhere (I'll speak exclusively about the Netherlands, fwiw). As an aside, the soccer culture is completely different from other sports.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #863
Easy Mac

Well, I guess this isn't news. Carry on with your day.

Europol's match-fixing bombshell leaves football authorities in the dark | David Conn | Football | The Guardian
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #864
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
It would have been news had they actually revealed which leagues and which games were fixed.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #865
whomario
Pro Starter

"played in England 3 or 4 years ago"

well, good to know it´s narrowed down
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #866
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

i've always assumed it was rampant. seems like every other game there's a wtf moment with a keeper
Old 02-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #867
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

A Danish newspaper claims it is Liverpool - Debrecen from September 2009. The Debrecen goalkeeper was bribed to have a bad game so there would be over 2.5 goals scored. However Liverpool only won 1-0 that night.

Ekstra Bladet - Afsløring: Liverpool-kamp var fikset

Some explanation in English: The fixed Champions League game was Liverpool 1 - Debrecen 0 (Sept. 2009) | 101GG Football news
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #868
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

im stunned Liverpool could only score once on a keeper tanking for them

Last edited by bulletsponge : 02-04-2013 at 09:04 PM.
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #869
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yeah.. you think they could have hit the post or something (And yes, I'm a 'Pool fan)
Old 02-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #870
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Speaking of Pool. Hi Pepe. Bye Pepe.

sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #871
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'm stunned to find out Torres played for Liverpool that night... stunned
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #872
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Way to go AC Milan. Way to use a racial slur to describe your own player, not two weeks after you spend $30 or so million US to buy him :P

AC Milan's VP (and half-brother to president Silvio Berlusconi) is featured on a video clip telling a meeting of Berlusconi's political party: ""OK, we are all off to see the family's little nigger. He's a crazy head. All the young ladies are invited as well – you can even have a chance to meet the president [Silvio Berlusconi]."

Mario Balotelli at centre of racist remark by Milan's vice-president | Football | guardian.co.uk
Old 02-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #873
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Balotelli has a lot of problems, but good Lord it must be difficult to try and play and live with this level of racism.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #874
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'm stunned he went back to Italy. At least it's not Eastern Europe and Milan is pretty cosmopolitan but still...
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #875
MrBug708
Head Coach

Deuce!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #876
MrBug708
Head Coach

That was quite a goal by Honduras
Old 02-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #877
MrBug708
Head Coach

Crap 2-1 Hon
Old 02-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #878
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

They just aren't good. Would be shocked if they qualified for Brazil. Can't believe what Klinsmann has done is such a short time to the USMNT.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #879
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

They're also pretty lucky they didn't lose 3 or 4 to 1. Honduras missed a lot of quality chances.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #880
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
They just aren't good. Would be shocked if they qualified for Brazil. Can't believe what Klinsmann has done is such a short time to the USMNT.

They will qualify but it won't be pretty. It's not Klinsman's fault. The defense is wretched. When our national team was bad we would produce lots of good defenders but now we have great talent we can't get any kind of defense.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #881
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
They will qualify but it won't be pretty. It's not Klinsman's fault. The defense is wretched. When our national team was bad we would produce lots of good defenders but now we have great talent we can't get any kind of defense.

Why isn't it his fault? He seems to make a lot of questionable decisions that have backfired spectacularly.

And I don't have the same confidence in qualifying. They barely made it to the Hex and have not looked dominant outside of one half against Guatemala.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #882
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Why isn't it his fault? He seems to make a lot of questionable decisions that have backfired spectacularly.

And I don't have the same confidence in qualifying. They barely made it to the Hex and have not looked dominant outside of one half against Guatemala.

Even if they finish fourth, they would have a one game playoff with New Zealand. No excuses if they don't qualify. He's tried to push players into being more than happy just to make the cup and like spoiled kids they've rejected it. The defenders don't defend in the most basic ways possible.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #883
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

He chose those guys for the back line. Chandlers was embarrassing out there and he put a pair of CBs into a hostile atmosphere that have never worked together. Boca should have played, he has experience in these kinds of matches.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #884
kingfc22
Head Coach

Didn't see the game, but not surprised at all.

This team is just flat out not good enough.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #885
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

well it could have been worse, we could have dropped 2 points at home like Mexico just did
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #886
booradley
High School Varsity

That first goal by Honduras was a thing of BEAUTY. All engineered by their defenders, as well.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #887
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Southampton up 2-0! Massive screw up by Hart.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #888
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Gareth Barry with an inexplicable own goal, and Southampton restore the two goal lead!
Old 02-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #889
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

3-1 Southampton final. Is that the deathblow for the Premier League Race?
Old 02-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #890
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Yep, I think so. That performance is going to leave a bad taste. I hope nothing is done until the end of the season and hopefully it's mutual, but I think the new management is going to want to make a change, especially after the dreadful UCL performances. Strange saying that 9 months after the title.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #891
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
3-1 Southampton final. Is that the deathblow for the Premier League Race?

I think its all over now.

Worth mentioning though that while Man City did make two bad mistakes Southampton were damned good value for money for their win and even without the mistakes I think they'd have won the game (there were 2-3 times late in the game where they out-numbered the City defense but played safe and wasted time rather than risk losing possession).

The tactics for Southampton were spot on, great pressuring throughout the park (esp. on the City back line) and quick breaking when possible and Lambert holding up the ball when it wasn't .... very impressive imho.

PS - Awesome late win for Brighton also to keep us in the race for the Play-offs in the Championship

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 02-09-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:26 AM   #892
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

It is so far from over. Manchester City were down eight points with 5-6 games left last year. Now the gap is nine with like 13 games left. Manchester United play Everton tomorrow and while they could make it a 12 point gap, Everton are one of the better teams in the league and from what I've read Manchester United will be resting players for Real Madrid away on Wednesday. So they could very well lose or draw tomorrow and then Manchester City's loss today wouldn't be such a big deal.

Last edited by Big Fo : 02-10-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #893
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Gareth Bale is a stud, period - the end.

Last edited by Sublime 2 : 02-10-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #894
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
It is so far from over. Manchester City were down eight points with 5-6 games left last year. Now the gap is nine with like 13 games left. Manchester United play Everton tomorrow and while they could make it a 12 point gap, Everton are one of the better teams in the league and from what I've read Manchester United will be resting players for Real Madrid away on Wednesday. So they could very well lose or draw tomorrow and then Manchester City's loss today wouldn't be such a big deal.

It's not so much the point gap but City's form. Yesterday they looked like a team that didn't want to play for their manager.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 02-10-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #895
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I see. I didn't watch the match, just read that they played poorly and saw the highlights.

I guess when SAF said Manchester United will have to play two different teams today and Wednesday, he really meant that Carrick and Ferdinand would be rested. Vidic, Rooney, RVP, and other best XI guys are all going to play.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #896
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

21 consecutive seasons with a league goal for Ryan Giggs, that's fantastic.

edit: not sure why the commentators only mention the EPL seasons, it's actually 23 counting the years before the name changed to the Premier League.

Last edited by Big Fo : 02-10-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #897
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Gus Johnson doing commentary for UCL matches?

Old 02-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #898
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Can't wait for some more of this!

Fuck off Fox and go way Gus you gimmicky piece of shit.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:13 PM   #899
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

not awarding the corner was strange. compounded by the refs, 'eh, what are you gonna do?' body language
Old 02-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #900
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The ref was pretty bad all game long. Ramos playacted to get RVP carded, when last man Varane took out Evra from behind nothing was given but it was at least a yellow card, and yeah not letting United take the corner with 92:50 on the clock and three minutes of added time was bizarre. Still a good result, if only RVP could have scored one of those second half chances to get the win though.