Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #851
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

IIRC... Fulham @ Roma tomorrow in Europa league.

The first game at Craven Cottage was excellent... Fulham kind of unlucky not to win.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #852
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I am looking forward to watching the Roma-Fulham game in HD when I get home. I wish Villa would not have stunk it up in qualifying rounds.

There is also going to be some great matchups this weekend. Chelsea-Man U is the highlight, but the Madrid derby, Lazio-AC Milan, Inter Milan-Roma, and the MLS playoffs should make for an entertaining weekend. There is also a good Russian game on between CSKA Moscow and Rubin Kazan.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:30 PM   #853
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Real Salt Lake @ Columbus tonight. RSL leading 1-0 heading into this game. I have to say I won't be totally stunned if the defending champs bomb out tonight. They haven't seemed quite right for the last month.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:24 AM   #854
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Damn. This girl (on New Mexico's women's soccer team) has some serious anger issues.

BYU Fights Off New Mexico, 1-0 - ESPN Video - ESPN

I'm counting something like seven or eight yellow cardable offenses just from the highlights (or are they low lights)
Old 11-06-2009, 08:01 AM   #855
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Real Salt Lake @ Columbus tonight. RSL leading 1-0 heading into this game. I have to say I won't be totally stunned if the defending champs bomb out tonight. They haven't seemed quite right for the last month.

RSL win 4-2 on aggregate. I read that it's the fourth time in five years that the best regular season team lost in the first round of the playoffs.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:07 AM   #856
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Damn. This girl (on New Mexico's women's soccer team) has some serious anger issues.

BYU Fights Off New Mexico, 1-0 - ESPN Video - ESPN

I'm counting something like seven or eight yellow cardable offenses just from the highlights (or are they low lights)

How the hell was she not sent off very early in that game? Where is the official?
Old 11-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #857
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Sickening loss for Man Utd today, 1-0 to Chelsea. Their goal should never have happened, Fletcher won the ball fairly but the ref gave a free kick. Then on the free kick Drogba fouled Brown dragging him to the ground but that goes uncalled. Other than that both sides pretty much canceled each other out. The ref made several other bad calls, a handball on Lampard not given late on, Chelsea grabbing and shirt pulling being ignored and I'll admit United did get one going their way today when Drogba was yellow carded after Evans ninja kicked him in the chest, that was bizarre.

I hate to be a tin foil hat wearing conspiracy guy but ever since Ferguson questioned Mike Riley's fitness they have been on the wrong end of a number of bad decisions. Maybe his colleagues are trying to get some revenge, maybe it's just bad luck.

Man Utd's defense played quite well despite Ferdinand and Vidic being out, that's one positive to take. I also liked the switch to a three-man central midfield after they were overrun at Anfield a few weeks ago. It should have been a 0-0 draw. Still it's early in the season, they're only five points back and they've played two out of the three hardest away matches already. United have come back to win titles from bigger margins than that.

Some fan decided that they needed to brush their teeth around the 80th minute. That's a new one for me.

Last edited by Big Fo : 11-08-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #858
-apoc-
H.S. Freshman Team

It actually hurt me to have to cheer for Man U today and of course they lost anyway but Evans should have been sent off and it should have been a penalty kick 2 minutes before that freekick anyway so honestly the result was fair regardless. And take the tinfoil hat off the ref was just shit all game both ways and never ignore the importance of good dental hygiene
Old 11-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #859
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

The only fair result today would have been Stamford Bridge falling down during the game. And as much as I hate Chelsea, Man U fans have no reason to complain about getting the short end of the referee's calls. Man U have been getting favourable calls forever.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #860
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
The only fair result today would have been Stamford Bridge falling down during the game. And as much as I hate Chelsea, Man U fans have no reason to complain about getting the short end of the referee's calls. Man U have been getting favourable calls forever.

+1
Old 11-08-2009, 01:19 PM   #861
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I love that logic, that you can't complain about bad calls if your team has ever gotten some good ones. All teams get some good and some bad calls over the course of a season. Today the ref was terribly one-sided, it doesn't matter what happened in the past.

I forgot to mention two other incidents from the first half, Rooney ruled offside despite the fullback being a foot behind him (he'd have been 1v1 with Cech) and what might have been a penalty not given when Terry appeared to drag down Valencia in the box (I didn't think it should have been given at the time but some journalists seem to think so from reports I've read since the game ended). Just bad luck I hope. It'd be less annoying if United hadn't played well today.

Last edited by Big Fo : 11-08-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:45 PM   #862
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I hate to be a tin foil hat wearing conspiracy guy but ever since Ferguson questioned Mike Riley's fitness they have been on the wrong end of a number of bad decisions. Maybe his colleagues are trying to get some revenge, maybe it's just bad luck.

Funny that, I never would have guessed a personal attack on a ref would result in less favorable calls going your way from his colleagues. If so, I'm glad one of Fergie's manipulative media comments have bitten him in the ass for once. He crossed the line and I hope it continues all season.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #863
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Not really relevant to soccer, but would an English person ever say "(X team) looking well class." ?

Somebody used it the other day, then when called out facetiously apologized for "trying to inject a little class". I mean, I've heard class used as a verb, but that expression just struck me as posing.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #864
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Funny that, I never would have guessed a personal attack on a ref would result in less favorable calls going your way from his colleagues. If so, I'm glad one of Fergie's manipulative media comments have bitten him in the ass for once. He crossed the line and I hope it continues all season.

+1

It's funny how ANY of the top 4 squads in England lose a game on their own. It's always the refs. Chelsea will forget about the calls the got in the Man U game if they lose to the Gunners in a couple of weeks. The Gunners complained about Eduardo getting a 2 match ban (that was later reversed) for diving but would have been out of their minds had Ngog got the penalty against them yesterday.

I cheer for the Gunners and have been pissed off as anyone about reffing decisions, but the reality is that nobody in the top 4 should ever complain about poor reffing. By the end of the year, the top four will get a vast majority of the close calls.

As for Ngog and the diving, if FIFA is serious about curbing this, they need to start taking harsh action. A nice 5 game ride on the pine for a "clear" cut dive like his should be a start. (as I said, I'm a Gunners fan, Eduardo's suspension should have stood, and it really should have been harsher) Replays should also be used more frequently in deciding a penalty shot.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:38 PM   #865
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Liverpool have had no problem losing games on their own.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #866
Ryan S
Quarterback

No link yet, but the ticker on the BBC website is reporting "Germany goalkeeper Robert Enke, 32, dies after being hit by train on level crossing"

Sky Sports News tv is reporting that police are suspecting suicide.

EDIT - A translated page with info from morgenpost.de - Google Translate

EDIT2 - And now SI - Germany goalkeeper Robert Enke dies at age 32, may be suicide - Soccer - SI.com

Last edited by Ryan S : 11-10-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #867
whomario
Pro Starter

oh fuck can´t think straight right now, this really is too much ... Just had a fun time doodling around with a game, than read it in this topic (had no radio or anything on ...) and now i´m crying ... This is so much of a shock when you look on german web pages right now ...
It´s official, no doubt possible anymore ... Can´t believe he killed himself... He was a fighter ... His daughter died 3 years ago due to a heart condition and he came back ... Allways came back ....
Just gave his comeback after being out for a few weeks with a virus infection and seemed perfectly happy with himself after the game ...

Maybe if he had gotten nominated after 1 of the other keepers said he can´t play, he´d still be alive as he would have been under observation with the national team. Not saying this was the reason, just that maybe it would have not happened today and then maybe sth would have made it right with him again and he might have found new strength ...
I´m pretty sure the coaches are having those thoughts right now ...

oh man ...

Last edited by whomario : 11-10-2009 at 03:05 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #868
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Sad news.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:01 AM   #869
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Trying to lighten things up a bit..

I'd call this a Maradona-like goal.. (no.. not the Hand of God goal, the other one where he dribbled through what seemed like half the population of Manchester, England to score).. but A) I don't think Maradona ever played in the Norwegian Second Division on a sub-high school field, and B) I think England made a slightly more.. energetic attempt to stop Maradona then this one.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:22 AM   #870
whomario
Pro Starter

There has been a short press conference with Enke´s Wife and his psychiatrist ...
He was depressive for a long time. Not constantly but in sudden, harsh and irregular periods of time. Left a letter apologizing to his friends, his doctors and his fans for betraying them and hiding the condition in fear of loosing the things keeping his life together, soccer and his adopted daughter, as well as for having to do what he did ... Soccer because of the media and pressure of keeping him off the field for that condition and his daughter because adoption isn´t granted for people with depression ...
That´s why he refused clinical treatment ...

haven´t seen it, just read reports on it.

There´s still no decicion on wether the german team will play saturday (or even next wednesday). I think they should and give the attendance money to his wife and the various organisations he supported (main areas were fight against racism as well as animal cruelty), the train-operator as well propably ...

Last edited by whomario : 11-11-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:42 AM   #871
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

wow....speechless

oh, and

Update 00:24 CET Wednesday: Television channel ARD reports that the site of Enke's death was a mere 200 metres from the grave of his daughter.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-11-2009 at 07:44 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:34 AM   #872
whomario
Pro Starter

It was near his home in a small village near hannover, so that´s no coincidence.

Hope this will wake people and the media up that still think and act as if psychological problems are some sort or excuse and are nothing that is possible since athletes "have everything" . He must have been in such a dark place inside, can´t even imagina how dark ... The guy really was a caring man who supported charity, talked with fans a lot and was reported to be an amazing teammate. Very much respected by everyone associated with soccer in Germany and loved by the Fans for his modest and friendly demeanour ...

The match on Saturday has been cancelled officially. Team Manager Oliver Bierhoff and DFB president Zwanziger just anounced it. Bierhoff was fighting tears the whole time, Zwanziger deeply emphazised what i mentioned above.

The players came together yesterday and also today and talked about playing or not and aren´t in any condition to go out on that field, which i understand fully once having played just a few days after a friend of mine died. Had to quit 10 minutes into the game ...
Old 11-11-2009, 01:15 PM   #873
path12
Coordinator

Depression is an awful thing. RIP.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:06 PM   #874
whomario
Pro Starter

yes it is and a ton of people still think it´s some sort of lame excuse for being unfriendly or whatever ...
Sincerely hope this will help open up society a bit here in Germany. Sounds like a lofty goal but if i see that 35000 people came out tonight to participate in a walk of mourning from the church where a memorial service was held to the stadium of Hannover and that at literally every house along the way the people living there were standing at open windows and doors than i think it might be just about time to tackle this goal.

Does anybody still remember Sebastian Deisler ? German footballer who was considered the biggest talent in german soccer at the time (and he was a truly brilliant player) but had to fight with injuries all his career missing 3 major tournaments in a row (WC 02, EC 04, WC 06) and went into a clinic to be treated for depression and later retired at age 27 and completely left soccer behind.
A different case as here the pressure of professional sports and his fragile body caused the depression, but still.

And he was made fun of in case you are wondering ...

Or just now there is the case of Jesus Navas in spain who is not depressive but suffering from another issue named Agoraphobia (fear of unknown environments, very strong variant of homesickness). He is now being pressured to play for the spanish national team after years of him not even going on trips or fleeing from camps to prepare for the new season with his home club (and getting attacked about that) where he played basically his whole life and refusing being transfered to Chelsea out of fear, is being treated for this issues and now there was another hard push by the media, the fans and the spanish football association and he gave in and will join the national team for the first time (he was easily capable in terms of his play since 3 or 4 years now).
I sure hope the association, coaches and the players took a moment to consider his situation even more now.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:20 PM   #875
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post

Does anybody still remember Sebastian Deisler ? German footballer who was considered the biggest talent in german soccer at the time (and he was a truly brilliant player) but had to fight with injuries all his career missing 3 major tournaments in a row (WC 02, EC 04, WC 06) and went into a clinic to be treated for depression and later retired at age 27 and completely left soccer behind.
A different case as here the pressure of professional sports and his fragile body caused the depression, but still.

And he was made fun of in case you are wondering ...

After reading the story about Enke's suicide and that he suffered from depression it reminded me of Deisler. I didn't know about Jesus Navas.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:56 PM   #876
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Does anybody still remember Sebastian Deisler ?

Soccernet ran a column about Deisler, and depression in German football last week.

Uli Hesse-Lichtenberger: Chased by the Black Dog - Europe - ESPN Soccernet
Old 11-11-2009, 05:08 PM   #877
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
Soccernet ran a column about Deisler, and depression in German football last week.

Uli Hesse-Lichtenberger: Chased by the Black Dog - Europe - ESPN Soccernet

that´s scary timing ...
Old 11-11-2009, 11:06 PM   #878
Galaxy
Coordinator

Scary. Back on this side of the pond, just look at Theo Fleury and Andre Agassi's recent reveals.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:41 PM   #879
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Another scary moment:

Tottenham's Carlo Cudicini seriously injured when his motorcycle struck a car in London..

Cudicini badly injured in accident - CNN.com

Injuries described as "life-changing"
Old 11-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #880
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Another scary moment:

Tottenham's Carlo Cudicini seriously injured when his motorcycle struck a car in London..

Cudicini badly injured in accident - CNN.com

Injuries described as "life-changing"

I'm guessing this is a career-ender, based on his age.

He's played quite well with Spurs, and he's really seen a lot of time because Gomes seems to be very injury-prone. I don't even know who our #3 is right now... I imagine we'll be making a signing in January now.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #881
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Freddy Adieu

Interesting column from the BBC on Freddy and what he's up to:

BBC - Chris Bevan's Blog: Football's forgotten superstar
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:39 AM   #882
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I got a laugh out of this bit of banter in the lead up to this weekend's Ireland-France WC playoff.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:42 AM   #883
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
I'm guessing this is a career-ender, based on his age.

He's played quite well with Spurs, and he's really seen a lot of time because Gomes seems to be very injury-prone. I don't even know who our #3 is right now... I imagine we'll be making a signing in January now.

I took "life-altering" to be a PC term for crippling.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #884
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

MLS Western Conference Final tonight.... a hell of a late one... kickoff around 11.20PM Eastern on ESPN2.

LA Galaxy vs. Houston Dynamo. I think the winner of this one goes on to take the Cup. I expect Galaxy grind it out. 2-1.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:02 PM   #885
miami_fan
Coordinator

It's unfortunate that I don't get FSC anymore. I have missed most of the playoff games.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:44 PM   #886
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Blackout in LA or did the Home Depot Center forget to mail this month's bill?
Old 11-13-2009, 10:46 PM   #887
miami_fan
Coordinator

Impressive
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:51 PM   #888
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Blackout in LA or did the Home Depot Center forget to mail this month's bill?

THis is classic.

For those not watching, the lights went out ~20 minutes into the first half. Gonna take about 15 before they are back on.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:53 PM   #889
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

ESPN dude just said there is a blackout in the area. I think I've seen the lights go out in a pro baseball or football game before but this is the first time I've seen it happen while watching soccer.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:59 PM   #890
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
ESPN dude just said there is a blackout in the area. I think I've seen the lights go out in a pro baseball or football game before but this is the first time I've seen it happen while watching soccer.

I've seen it happen a few times in soccer.... first time in America I think.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:36 PM   #891
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Despite the lack of scoring chances I thought that was a decent first half. As the commentators have said LA has looked better after the blackout.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:51 PM   #892
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Twice in one night wtf? C'mon...

Garber looked rather annoyed in his box.

Last edited by Big Fo : 11-13-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:04 AM   #893
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

this is probably the strangest game I have ever seen.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:05 AM   #894
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Despite the lack of scoring chances I thought that was a decent first half. As the commentators have said LA has looked better after the blackout.

This has definitely been a great game, despite the lack of goals. Very well-played and fast-paced... but the blackouts are killing us. especially on the east coast. can we get this thing wrapped up before 3AM?
Old 11-14-2009, 12:11 AM   #895
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
This has definitely been a great game, despite the lack of goals. Very well-played and fast-paced... but the blackouts are killing us. especially on the east coast. can we get this thing wrapped up before 3AM?

If there is extra time and PKs it might be pushing 3am. I'm on the East Coast as well but thankfully I don't have to be up early tomorrow.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:40 AM   #896
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

That was a rough couple of minutes for Houston. Ching's header was tipped onto the bar and out and then a goal from a corner was ruled out for some foul I didn't see on replays.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:31 AM   #897
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

LA Galaxy win 2-0, scoring both in extra time. Berhalter got the first during a scramble in the box after a Beckham free kick, the second was a Donovan penalty won by Gordon.

If anyone is staying up late, wants to watch more soccer, and has FSC, switch over to that to catch the New Zealand - Bahrain playoff match (first leg 0-0, second leg 0-0 almost a half an hour in).

edit to avoid double dola:

NZ won 1-0 (1-0 aggregate) and will be going to the World Cup.

Now to hit the sack and wake up at 10am for the Slovakia-USA friendly.

Last edited by Big Fo : 11-14-2009 at 03:01 AM.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:16 AM   #898
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Funny, so now we get a world cup with both Australia and New Zealand qualified. In retrospect, a blessing for both that Australia left the OFC?
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:53 AM   #899
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Funny, so now we get a world cup with both Australia and New Zealand qualified. In retrospect, a blessing for both that Australia left the OFC?

It looks that way for now.

I don't think there should be a separate Oceania confederation which is so small and weak that even .5 WC places is too much. Asia is so big, it could be split into two confederations (one with the Middle East, ex-Soviet countries, with the easternmost countries being India/Bangladesh and the other encompassing SE Asia, East Asia, Australia/NZ, and the Pacific islands).
Old 11-14-2009, 02:01 PM   #900
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Asia is so big, it could be split into two confederations (one with the Middle East, ex-Soviet countries, with the easternmost countries being India/Bangladesh and the other encompassing SE Asia, East Asia, Australia/NZ, and the Pacific islands).

One problem with that idea is that all of the Asian qualifiers came from the east. None of the middle eastern countries made it to the 2010 World Cup.