Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #851
spleen1015
Coordinator

Getting to the WS a couple of times over 5-8 years sure beats being a shitty team for 10-15.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #852
MrBug708
Head Coach

So Puig has started decently
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:22 PM   #853
MrBug708
Head Coach

Slightly better now
Old 06-04-2013, 11:38 PM   #854
Suicane75
Coordinator

I think Ethiers house just went on the market.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #855
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Pop a beer. Today is the one month anniversary of the last home win for the Royals.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #856
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Braves game getting interesting
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #857
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Braves game getting interesting

Tuned in just in time to see Brandon Inge break up Teheran's no-hitter with 2 outs in the 8th.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #858
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

boo
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #859
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Once his shoulder heals, maybe another kind of rehab assignment ahead?

Drug agents check suspected marijuana shipment to Chris Perez of Cleveland Indians - ESPN
Old 06-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #860
MrBug708
Head Coach

So Jason Marquis is no-hitting the Dodgers
Old 06-07-2013, 12:04 AM   #861
MrBug708
Head Coach

Puig!
Old 06-07-2013, 01:22 AM   #862
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Puig!

DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:36 AM   #863
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Talk about a hell of a debut week. That was oppo and not exactly a cheapy.

If the kid ever learns to take a walk, look out.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:00 AM   #864
Suicane75
Coordinator

He's got that certain something. LA is probably the perfect place for him, whether the story goes good or bad.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #865
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Toronto just beat Texas in 18 innings, Marlins & Mets are currently in the bottom of the 18th.

Sounds like something wacky that happens on Sunday/getaway day.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #866
General Mike
Pro Starter

Mets are terrible. Hit the ball!
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #867
Atocep
Coordinator

Gerrit Cole is set to start Tuesday against the Giants. I'm interested to see how he does at the major league level because his work in the minors hasn't matched the hype or his stuff.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #868
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Marty Lurie (local baseball talking head, former lawyer) does the pre-game show for the Giants on the radio, and he was telling a story today about Cole. Apparently when he was in the minors, the team he played for had a tradition of the following day's starter sitting in the stands with a radar gun charting pitches. Lurie was at the game, sitting near Cole, and he noticed that Cole wasn't quite catching the pitches on the radar gun...rather the planes flying in to the local airport. Turns out the radar gun was catching them at 130 MPH on approach

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 06-08-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #869
frnk55
High School Varsity

After watching that pathetic Mets game yesterday I decided to watch them again. Why I don't know.

1st inning Valdespin gets thrown out stealing 3rd with 2 outs. How Fucking stupid can you be? A little league player knows you don't do that. God it must be tough being a Met fan.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #870
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

What a tease the Royals are. Just when you're ready to throw in the towel, they roll off five in a row for the first time in two years. Ugh.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #871
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post
After watching that pathetic Mets game yesterday I decided to watch them again. Why I don't know.

1st inning Valdespin gets thrown out stealing 3rd with 2 outs. How Fucking stupid can you be? A little league player knows you don't do that. God it must be tough being a Met fan.

It is.

At least I don't have to watch Ike Davis strike out anymore.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:53 AM   #872
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Wow. About ten days ago the Reds bullpen turned into a pumpkin. There's not a one of them I feel confident about right now.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #873
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Hey, the Cardinals finally won an extra innings game.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #874
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Just saw the exchange between Trout and the fan wearing his jersey in Baltimore last night. Funny stuff and handled well by Trout.

For those that missed it, Trout was tracking a foul ball near the stands and reached into the crowd to get it. A fan wearing a Trout jersey ended up knocking the ball away from him. While Trout was a bit irritated initially, he later smiled at the fan and had a good laugh about it.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #875
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So does Greinke have the highest hit batter/bench clearing brawl ratio in MLB history?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 06-12-2013 at 08:20 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #876
Easy Mac

So I've seen Arizona fans saying Grienke hit Ross on purpose, which started everything. I don't see anything in their history that would have caused Grienke to hit Ross. He'd faced him 4 times before, with one hit. It's not like Grienke was pitching poorly that would lead him to throw at Ross.

It seemed to me Arizona got pissed at Ross being hit, but they took it way to far by hitting Puig in the face. Montero had to get hit then, which he did, in the back. There was no reason to go after Grienke, especially at his head. I guess that's what happens when you only want guys with "grit" on your team.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #877
SackAttack
Head Coach

The thing is, I'm not even sure Ross was hit. That ball looked like a strike that he flinched at, but I never saw contact with the player. Even if there was, if it's in the strike zone, it's a strike, by rule. You cannot be HBP if you swing at the ball or it is in the strike zone. Whatever, Kubel hits a two-run homer, and that's supposed to be the best response to a HBP.

Puig gets hit, Ethier homers, and you'd think there's equilibrium, except for where Puig was hit. That's partly why I'm iffy on the hit to Montero. If Ross was hit - and I'm not sure he was - I don't think it was intentional. I don't think Puig getting hit in the face was intentional (although I'm sure pitching up and in right there was). So if you have a couple unintentional HBP, does Montero need to get hit? Maybe yes, if you think the location of Puig's hit was problematic, maybe no if you think "well, both teams have been hit and both teams have responded with homers."

And then Kennedy goes headhunting again. And then Ellis gets hit after the fracas and there's no further action by Fagan and the rest of the umpiring crew.

Nothing I saw last night makes me think the Ross hit "started everything." That's not to excuse LA of culpability in their response, but what I see is an iffy HBP and a ball to the back from Greinke and a couple of headshots, unintentional or otherwise, from Kennedy. That's a little lopsided.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #878
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
So does Greinke have the highest hit batter/bench clearing brawl ratio in MLB history?

Only reason he doesn't have more is because he played in the American League for awhile where they couldn't throw at him to retaliate. He did it pretty often as a Royal.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #879
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

The only thing that's clear in my mind is that Kennedy needs to sit for a while. headhunting is a no-no, especially when aimed at the actual fucking head.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #880
Easy Mac

I think you have to hit their best player after Puig (your best) got hit in the head, which I thought was unintentional. You aim for the meatiest part (back/hip/thigh) and throw. It's dumb psychology, but you have to let Puig know that he can't get hit in the head without you backing him up. That should have been the end of it.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #881
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Only reason he doesn't have more is because he played in the American League for awhile where they couldn't throw at him to retaliate. He did it pretty often as a Royal.

I know you're bitter he left, but a quick, dirty search shows that a lot of pitchers (428) hit batters at a higher rate than Grienke since he became a full time starter (I'm not counting his rookie year where he had no idea what he was doing). Even Greg Maddux, arguably the greatest control pitcher of all time, hit batters at a clip equal to or better than Grienke.

Pitching Season Finder -- - Baseball-Reference.com
Old 06-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #882
lungs
Pro Rookie

Greinke and the beanball wasn't ever an issue that I remember from his time in Milwaukee.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #883
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I know you're bitter he left, but a quick, dirty search shows that a lot of pitchers (428) hit batters at a higher rate than Grienke since he became a full time starter (I'm not counting his rookie year where he had no idea what he was doing). Even Greg Maddux, arguably the greatest control pitcher of all time, hit batters at a clip equal to or better than Grienke.

I'm sure with different pitching coaches, he would have hit more batters in his time with the Royals.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #884
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Has nothing to do with being bitter. He threw at people all the time. It's not a secret in any way. I liked him a lot for that reason. He had an attitude that was missing from all the other Royals pitchers. Glad to finally have that back with Shields.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 06-12-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #885
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Even Greg Maddux, arguably the greatest control pitcher of all time, hit batters at a clip equal to or better than Grienke.

If 'Doggie hit you, it probably wasn't an accident.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #886
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Jamey Wright and Byung-Hyun Kim really top the list when it comes to HBP frequency. But batters feared them too much to ever charge the mound.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #887
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Puig got hit first, right? That looked unintentional. The Dodgers retaliated by hitting whoever. At that point, it should have been over. But then the D-Backs throw at Greinke near the head, so I think the Dodgers reaction is completely justified.

But what is up with Clayton Krenshaw coming and throwing a bunch at a fully equipped catcher who just uses his mitt to stop it? That will cost him a start and really served no purpose.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #888
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The Dodgers hit Cody Ross first. Puig was hit after.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #889
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

From an espn.LA column
Quote:
After everything had calmed down and the great Vin Scully was running down the ejections, he said Arizona manager Kirk Gibson was ejected for "hollering a lot of chicken stuff."

Old 06-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #890
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
The Dodgers hit Cody Ross first. Puig was hit after.

Thing is, Ross getting hit intentionally would have been the height of stupidity.

He was leading off the 5th, Greinke had retired 12 straight batters after giving up a single to start the game. And Kubel followed the mistake with a homer, which usually clears a random HBP up unless it was egregious.

Kennedy then goes more than an inning without incident before hitting Puig while "pitching him inside". Ethier homers ... but there's that egregious qualifier I mentioned (I guess).

Montero gets hit down low by Greinke, should have squared things.

And then Kennedy headhunts Greinke & the shit is on.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #891
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Why are the SportsCenter video highlights showing Puig getting hit first?
Old 06-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #892
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
Why are the SportsCenter video highlights showing Puig getting hit first?

Because Puig is the new hot thing in MLB.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #893
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

So the M's rushed C prospect Mike Zunino to the majors a couple days ago, both signaling the desperation that Jack Z is facing to try to save his job and at the same time proving why it's time for him to go.

Jack was an upgrade over Bavasi, has done a good job of upgrading the talent in the system and, in his first 1-2 years, did a good job overall. Then he stopped listening to his numbers guys and started making some pretty dumb trades and putting together really questionable rosters, with this year's edition of aging DH's the capper.

I liked Jack and had high hopes for him, but it's time (yet again) for the M's to start over. And hopefully this time Howard Lincoln and Chuck Armstrong are flushed away too before they can screw up another GM hire.

Last edited by dawgfan : 06-12-2013 at 12:52 PM.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #894
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Always fun to see Valverde blow a save.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #895
21C
College Prospect

Dodgers and D-Backs to open 2014 season in Sydney.
Los Angeles Dodgers and Arizona Diamondbacks to play MLB in Sydney to start 2014 MLB season - Yahoo!7

Looking forward to it.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #896
Danny
Head Coach

Hmm, so dodgers starting guy who does voice of Homer Simpson in of tonight
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #897
PilotMan
Head Coach

I can't believe there isn't more uproar in LA over the Dodgers season thus far. As things go, the D-Backs are on pace to win 89.75 games, figuring 90 wins should win you the division. The wild card, appears to be way out of reach at this point.

Using their current record of 28-36 the Dodgers would need to go 62-36 over the remaining games to take the division. That's a .633 winning percentage. Only the Cardinals are better this far into the season in just over half as many games. That sure doesn't seem likely, and it's only going to get worse.

Still a month from the break and the probabilities are getting very low of anything positive from this season.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:18 AM   #898
MrBug708
Head Coach

Tired of this
Old 06-13-2013, 03:00 AM   #899
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I think anyone who looked at advanced metrics didn't see the Dodgers as a juggernaut, whatever the payroll .

I assume they will fire Donnie in the next month or so, try and get lightning in the bottle with a Jack McKeon type? I think the division is there for the D backs, even if Goldschmidt et all come down to earth - the Gints pitching is awful and a lot of their bats are out - the Rockies will do what the Rockies do and self destruct. The NL west isn't awful, but it isn't a very good division - the D backs have the best farm in the division as well, so greatest ability to upgrade.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:47 AM   #900
PilotMan
Head Coach

I think that's precisely why the expectation was there to win. No, certainly nobody expected a juggernaut, but they expected a lot more than a last place team in a weak division.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote