Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #8901
molson
General Manager

I got a nice $5,000 loan grant for working in public service. Or at least, I thought I did. The federal government sent the money to the state distributor of that grant program in January, and then the state distributor sent it back to the federal government direct student loan servicing center. And that was about 5 months ago. The state distributor sent one big $24,000 check that was meant to be split between 4 other grant winners. My hunch is that that was too complicated for direct loan servicing to figure out and they just gave all $24,000 to one of the grant winners (the state distributor says the check was definitely cashed, a few months ago) The lady on the phone at direct loans just now thought the same thing. She said I should try to get the hypothetical person who may have gotten my money by mistake to call in and help straighten it out (whoever that is)

The state distributor is responsive to my emails but doesn't seem to be doing anything to figure this out. Apparently, direct loan servicing can track checks, but not unless they have about 12 pieces of info about it (name, date it cleared, routing number, etc.)......I've never seen the check of course, so I have to rely on the state distributor to provide that information.

And today, with no notice, direct loan transferred my loan to some weird other loan service, apparently this is part of new student loan legislation. What are the odds direct loan servicing finds my check and actually gets it to whatever "Aspire Resources" is in the next 20 years?

Also, to accept this check, I signed an agreement to work in public service for 3 more years. I wonder if it's still binding. I want to take a job in the private sector now out of spite and just to see if they try to enforce it.

And pretty soon the grant program is going to start taking applications for next year's awards. I'm supposed to get "priority consideration" for another (hypothetical) $5k. Maybe when I'm 70 they'll figure it out and give me a huge check with interest.

Edit: Also, I had to fill out an I.R.S. form because I have to pay taxes on the $5,000. I have no doubt they're going to think I owe that, even if I never get the money I might be worth just paying it then fighting with the I.R.S. It'd be fascinating if I ended up losing money to the government because I work in public service.

Last edited by molson : 07-12-2012 at 08:02 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #8902
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That's such a 20th century type problem. Everyone involved should be fired.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #8903
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
That's such a 20th century type problem. Everyone involved should be fired.

Ya, I'm trying to decide what kind of ruckus I should make. The state distributor that handles these applications and this grant is a state university. And it's a small state, and a even smaller legal community (it's a grant for public service lawyers), so I feel like the right letters or phone calls could help something good happen, even if it's just a double award next year at some other punk's expense.

Of course, if there's some other lawyer out there sitting happy with a $24k treasure trove, you'd have to think they'll figure that out eventually. I mean, they know who got awards. I just don't know that anyone is going to follow up on it and figure anything out, I've gotten nowhere in 4 months.

Last edited by molson : 07-12-2012 at 08:09 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #8904
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Lost an old friend today. He was one of the witnesses at our wedding, and was my wife and my first roommate. He was a big, giant of a man, special forces in Vietnam, and was the most loyal friend you could ever have. The world is just a little bit darker without Frank in it.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #8905
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I got a nice $5,000 loan grant for working in public service. Or at least, I thought I did. ...

Call your your congressman's office for constituent services. (this appears to be wholly federal, if there's an actual state component call your state legislators as well). Be nice, or at least be neutral and just a regular Joe looking for help. Even the slightest bit of grease from there might make things work considerably more smoothly.

If that fails, call whichever TV station has a ripped off consumer watchdog reporting guy ... a chance to tear into an f'ed up bureaucracy might have some appeal to them.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #8906
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Lost an old friend today. He was one of the witnesses at our wedding, and was my wife and my first roommate. He was a big, giant of a man, special forces in Vietnam, and was the most loyal friend you could ever have. The world is just a little bit darker without Frank in it.

Aww man...sorry to hear that. My condolences GD.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #8907
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

That's a lot more than a random thought, man. Very sorry to hear
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:51 PM   #8909
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I lost a Twitter follower today. WTF?!

I keep gaining followers and I haven't used twitter in over a year. Though almost every day I get an email that someone new is following me. Go figure.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #8910
Grover
Pro Starter

I gain/lose people daily. I've been stuck around 150 for a couple of months.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #8911
Grover
Pro Starter

Also, I heard "Call Me Maybe" three times at work tonight. (Stupid glow bowling and pop crap...) It's become lodged inside my brain. I'd like to take a gun to relieve my brain of the pain.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:17 PM   #8912
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
I'd like to take a gun to relieve my brain of the pain.

This is crazy.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #8913
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Also, I heard "Call Me Maybe" three times at work tonight. (Stupid glow bowling and pop crap...) It's become lodged inside my brain. I'd like to take a gun to relieve my brain of the pain.

I started watching the video with the Dolphins Cheerleaders doing Call Me Maybe yesterday, got a work e-mail and tabbed away from the video. A couple minutes later I realized that I was no longer watching the dolphins cheerleaders and instead just listening to the song. I was so disgusted at myself.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:56 PM   #8914
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

someone should invent an app that can scan your itunes and list upcoming tour dates for all the artists you have in your library
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:08 AM   #8915
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
This is crazy.

Hey, this is crazy
But I just met you
Here's a shotgun
So shoot me maybe

Old 07-13-2012, 01:26 AM   #8916
Passacaglia
Coordinator

So a little over three weeks ago, we had twin boys. It's a handful, and we've had a lot of help from both our mothers, but little things they do drive us crazy. I'm sure I'll come up with other examples when it's not 1:30 in the morning, but the one I'm thinking of now is that, sometimes, they'll take their dishes, and instead of putting them in the half-full dishwasher, they'll wash it, and put it on the drying rack. I don't understand the motivation. It's a waste of their time hand-washing this stuff, when we have a machine that does it for us, it means that it's longer until the dishwasher is full and we can run it, and it takes up space on the drying rack that we need for bottles. I guess they're trying to help, but it just doesn't make any sense to me.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:57 AM   #8917
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

I was really impressed with the twins' motor skills there for a sec. I probably should have read the second sentence instead of skipping to the third.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:31 AM   #8918
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
I was really impressed with the twins' motor skills there for a sec.

I was all +1 for about a half second there myself
Old 07-13-2012, 06:53 AM   #8919
Logan
Head Coach

Haha same, and I read the whole sentence.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #8920
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Haha same, and I read the whole sentence.

I've re-read it several times, and it's pretty clear he's referring to the twins, as the mothers are an afterthought there. So congrats, those are some impressive 3-week-olds!

Last edited by gstelmack : 07-13-2012 at 08:13 AM.
gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #8921
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So we get very few thunderstorms here in the PAcific Northwest. We are having one now and it is the second or third I remember in 4 years. I am staring out the window at work watching a guy who works at the car dealership next to my office, standing on a metal ladder powerwashing the side of the building. This may not end well.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #8922
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

There are a few fighter jets, I can't quite tell what kind, flying past my office window along the Detroit River.

It's awesome.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #8923
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My baloney has a first name.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #8924
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
So we get very few thunderstorms here in the PAcific Northwest. We are having one now and it is the second or third I remember in 4 years. I am staring out the window at work watching a guy who works at the car dealership next to my office, standing on a metal ladder powerwashing the side of the building. This may not end well.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #8925
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
There are a few fighter jets, I can't quite tell what kind, flying past my office window along the Detroit River.

It's awesome.

My dog was barking at them as they passed over my condo repeatedly.

One did a full loop over the river and came down doing a barrel roll.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #8926
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
My dog was barking at them as they passed over my condo repeatedly.

One did a full loop over the river and came down doing a barrel roll.

They are still at it.

The planes are YF-22's.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #8927
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
They are still at it.

The planes are YF-22's.

Taken from my balcony. Couldn't grab the camera & get it focused fast enough for a low direct flyover (that was awesome!)
Old 07-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #8928
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I love the fact I have a 24 oz Molson Ice sitting on my desk at work...it makes this miserable Friday a little better.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #8929
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I love the fact I have a 24 oz Molson Ice sitting on my desk at work...it makes this miserable Friday a little better.

They still make that stuff?
Old 07-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #8930
DanGarion
Coordinator

That's some type of FA-18.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #8931
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't know why Cheddar/Peanut Butter crackers work, but they do. It defies all logic. Nobody is gonna dunk a chunk of cheese into a jar of peanut butter.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #8932
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Took longer to fill out the online job application today than it did to receive the letter shooting me down.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #8933
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Took longer to fill out the online job application today than it did to receive the letter shooting me down.

Ugh.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #8934
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

Reminds me of a time when I went for a job interview on a Friday afternoon on the other side of the state. Got the rejection letter in the mail Monday morning.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #8935
Grover
Pro Starter

Anyone use a non-contract cellphone provider?

Old 07-13-2012, 10:54 PM   #8936
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I've used Page plus with a Verizon phone. TMo has a sweet data/text plan for $30 if you order online. WalMart's Straighttalk(on AT&T) is 45$/month for unlimited talk/text and limited data.

There's some good unlocked phones on amazon.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #8937
PilotMan
Head Coach

I think Burnsday is my favorite day of the week.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #8938
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
I've used Page plus with a Verizon phone. TMo has a sweet data/text plan for $30 if you order online. WalMart's Straighttalk(on AT&T) is 45$/month for unlimited talk/text and limited data.

There's some good unlocked phones on amazon.

Thanks for the feedback. I've been looking at Virgin and Boost, most reviews prefer Boost and consider them the top non-contract provider out there.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #8939
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I use MetroPCS which is unlimited data/text for $50.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #8940
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Boost/Virgin are both Sprint. Sprint sucks in my area, but I'm sure it's ymmv.

For the most part net10=StraightTalk=AT&T
SIMply mobile=T Mobile
I think Cricket works on the Verizon network.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #8941
Poli
FOFC Survivor

When I was a boy I used to want to be part of the GI Joe team, even if it was fictional. When the cartoon series from the 80s became available on Netflix via streaming I smiled. I couldn't wait to watch them again.

During one episode the GI Joe team assaults the Cobra base in the desert. Tanks, jets, helicopters, motorcycles. GI Joe spared no expense to take care of Cobra once and for all.

They even brought in the hang gliders.

Can you imagine the briefing room?

Alright, everything is in place. Let's get ready to go. Let's get all the vehicles ready for combat.

Wait, what about Poli? He didn't get an assignment.

Can we just leave him here?

Would you want to leave him here?

Well...he's not riding in my jet.

He's not riding in my tank, either!

Hey, do we have any of those gliders? Just tell him to fly one of those.

Last edited by Poli : 07-15-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #8942
Poli
FOFC Survivor

And who authorized GI JOE to purchase hang gliders?! Our tax dollars are paying for hang gliders and presumably for lessons on how to fly them!
Old 07-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #8943
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm sure those were sold to kids as Tactical Hang Gliders

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #8944
Autumn
Head Coach

I had to use those little UPC symbols from the GI JOe stuff to send away for one of those hang gliders! And a sweet sail board.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #8945
TLK
Pro Starter

It amazes me that the band O.A.R. never made it bigger than what they are....
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #8946
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
It amazes me that the band O.A.R. never made it bigger than what they are....

Oh man, loved them in college, went to see them a couple of years ago, and the girl I went with said "such a frat boy, college band." I was grievously wounded.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #8947
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Oh man, loved them in college, went to see them a couple of years ago, and the girl I went with said "such a frat boy, college band." I was grievously wounded.

A hell of a lot better than say, Dave Matthews for frat boy, college band rock.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #8948
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post

I don't like that type of music and I like them. Brought a ton of energy.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #8949
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
A hell of a lot better than say, Dave Matthews for frat boy, college band rock.

Dave was great until he got happy. It's like when a rocker gets off drugs. It's just not the same.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #8950
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Dave was great until he got happy. It's like when a rocker gets off drugs. It's just not the same.

I don't deny his ability. Loathe his voice.