Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-01-2018, 07:00 AM   #8901
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBT View Post
It may not be in the form of a “physical war” instead taking on the form of a cyberwar as we take on more of an offensive role towards Russia online in trying to combat their efforts. In my opinion, that would put us “basically at war” with Russia.

FWIW, I didn't read your statement literally as in a nuclear war. This is what I was thinking and definitely agree. Sure there will be other traditional conflicts but cyberwar is going to be more and more prominent in the future.

If we are behind, we better get ramped up and quick.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:19 AM   #8902
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I don't buy my guns from Dicks's, BassPro, Walmart etc. (and only the occasional ammo)

There are a lot of "indie" gun stores that are probably jumping for joy right now and making a killing. I'm okay with that, supporting smaller businesses etc.

There's a guy who lives behind me who is a gun dealer. He said that business was booming during Obama, but since the election it's been so dead he's not sure he can't even make money with it.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:30 AM   #8903
Kodos
Resident Alien

Thanks, Obama.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:26 AM   #8904
BBT
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
FWIW, I didn't read your statement literally as in a nuclear war. This is what I was thinking and definitely agree. Sure there will be other traditional conflicts but cyberwar is going to be more and more prominent in the future.

Thank you. I may lean a little left, but I definitely don't try to come off as a far left nutcase. I'm just as likely to vote Republican as I do Democrat as I mostly just want competence in my government officials. I truly believe that's what we all want, even with all our differences.

Honestly, Marco Rubio said it best when it comes to Russia's efforts to influence the elections and those that are willing to look the other way/don't want to acknowledge what's going on: https://www.usnews.com/news/politics...et-for-hackers

Quote:
"As our intelligence agencies have said, these leaks are an effort by a foreign government to interfere with our electoral process, and I will not indulge it," Rubio said. "Further, I want to warn my fellow Republicans who may want to capitalize politically on these leaks: Today it is the Democrats. Tomorrow it could be us."

Quote:

I'm not sure we're behind, but I'm not sure there's ever really a way to be ahead. If hackers want to get in, they'll find a way. IT Security is a Multi-Billion dollar industry at this point and that still tends to be the underlying slogan for it.

We already have the resources and manpower in place, we've used them in North Korea and a few other hotspots, but Russia is a different animal entirely. The best way to combat their tactics is to sanction, threaten, and show our capabilities in ways that hopefully slow down their efforts. Unfortunately, from what I can tell, based off intel reports and what most media sources are saying, all we are doing is preventative tactics which won't stop or even slow down what's going on.
BBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:28 PM   #8905
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:

I'd argue the more likely scenario is that you (the US) are actually far enough ahead that you aren't being caught so blatantly.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:28 PM   #8906
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I don't think liberals are as excited to eschew due process as they are to see Trump say something that finally has his supporters up in arms about something he did. When T_D is giving Obama positive comparisons to Trump on gun control, the cacophony of the echo chamber dies for a moment and you can just see their faces contorting as if moving them in a certain way will bring these words into focus so they can go on blindly supporting this buffoon.

I was flabbergasted to see Trump say 'worry about due process later.' I've also noticed that family members who were quick to accuse Obama of having a secret plan to grab all the guns haven't uttered a peep about Trump's proposals of yesterday. So to the extent any of Trump's supporters are up-in-arms about the comments, they at least don't appear to be displaying that outrage in my little circle.

But it also wouldn't be the first time Trump has said "let's do this, we're gonna do this thing right here" and then nothing has ever come of it. So even without the "grab the guns first, worry about due process later," I'm skeptical that any of his other (frankly, more liberal than the GOP Congressional caucus would prefer) proposals from yesterday are ever going to see the light of day. Someone will get in his ear and tell him why it's a bad idea, and the whole "the last person he talks to is what he decides he believes" thing that we've seen documented over and over will come to the fore.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:37 PM   #8907
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

This also seems like a really easy walk-back for the White House.

"The President was expressing the frustration that all Americans share about criminals [read, black people] having easy access to fireams. He supports, as he always has, the fundamental Constitutional right for law-abiding Americans [read, white people] to keep and bear arms. He hopes that legislators in both parties will support him in his efforts to keep Americans safe and provide additional resources to law enforcement to help meet that goal."
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:44 PM   #8908
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

We've never had an administration where the President says whatever he wants and then the staff determines whether or not they will support it or ignore it. I assume, but don't know, that Kelly and Pence have a hell of a lot of power right now, either directly or through staff that they nominally control.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:14 PM   #8909
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And just like that, the Dow is down 500 points after Trump announces he'll slap 25% tariffs on steel and 10% tariffs on aluminum.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:36 PM   #8910
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
We've never had an administration where the President says whatever he wants and then the staff determines whether or not they will support it or ignore it. I assume, but don't know, that Kelly and Pence have a hell of a lot of power right now, either directly or through staff that they nominally control.

There were stories coming out around the convention that Trump's campaign offered Kasich the VP slot and that it would be "the most powerful VP in history."

Basically, as the rumors went, Trump didn't want to govern. He wanted the title, the prestige, and the attention.

Wouldn't shock me at all if Pence is the one calling the actionable shots while Trump gets the headlines.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:06 PM   #8911
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I'd argue the more likely scenario is that you (the US) are actually far enough ahead that you aren't being caught so blatantly.

Hah, you have more faith than I do. Sure the US probably has tremendous capabilities in some areas but I do think there are very likely a lot of gaps.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:47 PM   #8912
Edward64
Head Coach

McMaster is rumored to be next.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...-month-n852371
Quote:
The White House is preparing to replace H.R. McMaster as national security adviser as early as next month in a move orchestrated by chief of staff John Kelly and Defense Secretary James Mattis, according to five people familiar with the discussions.

The move would be the latest in a long string of staff shakeups at the White House over the past year and comes after months of strained relations between the president and McMaster.

A leading candidate to become President Donald Trump’s third national security adviser is the auto industry executive Stephen Biegun, according to the officials.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:51 PM   #8913
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Maybe it's not as bad as it looks, but things in the White House seem like they are disintegrating to a greater degree than they have previously.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:15 PM   #8914
mckerney
Coordinator

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:28 PM   #8915
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Maybe it's not as bad as it looks, but things in the White House seem like they are disintegrating to a greater degree than they have previously.

You know they're getting desperate when they decide to bring in the Bieguns.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:44 PM   #8916
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Old 03-01-2018, 06:54 PM   #8917
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

Just a word of caution here-I've seen at least three reports over the past 6-9 months that Gen Kelly was leaving, yet he is still here. So don't hold your breath on this one. My money is on Sessions leaving next-I'm certainly not a fan of his, but Trump thinks Sessions job is to protect him, and he's going to keep pushing him until he leaves and he finds someone who will try to do that.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:48 PM   #8918
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I was flabbergasted to see Trump say 'worry about due process later.' I've also noticed that family members who were quick to accuse Obama of having a secret plan to grab all the guns haven't uttered a peep about Trump's proposals of yesterday. So to the extent any of Trump's supporters are up-in-arms about the comments, they at least don't appear to be displaying that outrage in my little circle.

But it also wouldn't be the first time Trump has said "let's do this, we're gonna do this thing right here" and then nothing has ever come of it. So even without the "grab the guns first, worry about due process later," I'm skeptical that any of his other (frankly, more liberal than the GOP Congressional caucus would prefer) proposals from yesterday are ever going to see the light of day. Someone will get in his ear and tell him why it's a bad idea, and the whole "the last person he talks to is what he decides he believes" thing that we've seen documented over and over will come to the fore.

Yeah, that's what I suspect too. Personally I don't pay much attention to it anymore, I am just waiting for every election from now on to make sure I always vote and that my friends also do. Apart from my amusement at some of the fanatics finally having enough on reddit, there are definitely still a lot of people who are able to pull off Mary Lou Retton type shit in their brains and that works for them I guess. More power to them if they can't wake up and see that he doesn't serve anyone's interests but his own.. Or the person he just got done speaking with.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:03 AM   #8919
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
And just like that, the Dow is down 500 points after Trump announces he'll slap 25% tariffs on steel and 10% tariffs on aluminum.

WSJ puts this into perspective nicely https://www.wsj.com/articles/trumps-...lly-1519950205

He really is a tool for big corporations easily able to convince him in meetings ...

Also, would only have a german link right now but the last time this was done (Bush 2002) this lead to more lost jobs in steel manufacturing firms than were even employed in steel production. (200k vs 185k)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 03-02-2018 at 12:07 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:28 AM   #8920
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

OMG, we're in trouble.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:39 AM   #8921
kingfc22
Head Coach

Who knew a guy who bankrupts everything he touches would be bad at economic policy. Go figure.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:47 AM   #8922
Thomkal
Head Coach

He should go back to tweeting about the important things like Russia talking up new missiles...or Alec Baldwin on SNL. Baldwin hit back though. I may have to revise my "Who goes next" prediction-Gary Cohn tried to get the President to change his mind about the tariffs and lost in the end.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:04 AM   #8923
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

What I want to know is why his handlers are letting him tweet about international trade. Guns and immigration are two issues that play to his base on which no meaningful legislation will actually happen. Why aren't they having him talk about that?

He can actually cause some recession-level damage if investors start to think that he's going to try and implement some of his economic "ideas."
Old 03-02-2018, 09:15 AM   #8924
lungs
Pro Rookie

I'm thinking I made a pretty good decision getting out of the dairy business. Guess who is going to be the first to take the brunt of a trade war? The farmer. Yet, the Farm Bureau gave Trump a rousing ovation at their annual meeting because he put those damn NFL players in their place for kneeling during the national anthem. #priorities

Last edited by lungs : 03-02-2018 at 09:16 AM.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:25 AM   #8925
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
What I want to know is why his handlers are letting him tweet about international trade. Guns and immigration are two issues that play to his base on which no meaningful legislation will actually happen. Why aren't they having him talk about that?

He can actually cause some recession-level damage if investors start to think that he's going to try and implement some of his economic "ideas."

Doesn't it play into the same base though?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:27 AM   #8926
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Doesn't it play into the same base though?

It does. So why not have him keep that same base happy by talking about kneeling football players and MS13 instead of about stuff that might actually hurt the economy?
Old 03-02-2018, 09:28 AM   #8927
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

I'm not saying that they should have him come out in favor of free trade; I'm saying that they shouldn't have him talking or thinking about the issue at all.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:01 AM   #8928
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

You're assuming that the staff and the President discuss issues, plot a course of action, and formulate a messaging plan. It sure seems like the President just says whatever makes him feel good at the moment, especially when angered or buoyed by a Fox News segment.

edit: Steel companies apparently started running pro-tariff commercials on Fox hoping they would push the President towards that policy.

Last edited by JPhillips : 03-02-2018 at 10:02 AM.
JPhillips is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:40 AM   #8929
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
What I want to know is why his handlers are letting him tweet about international trade.

Because they're all busy writing their resignation letters.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:49 AM   #8930
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

As much as I would like to see his staff straight jacket him or otherwise contain him, I don't think that's realistic. What do you want them to do? I'm sure they are trying.

Last edited by jeff061 : 03-02-2018 at 10:51 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #8931
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I'm thinking I made a pretty good decision getting out of the dairy business. Guess who is going to be the first to take the brunt of a trade war? The farmer. Yet, the Farm Bureau gave Trump a rousing ovation at their annual meeting because he put those damn NFL players in their place for kneeling during the national anthem. #priorities

I guess so! Saw this this article a couple days ago:

As Milk Prices Decline, Worries About Dairy Farmer Suicides Rise : NPR
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:24 AM   #8932
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
As much as I would like to see his staff straight jacket him or otherwise contain him, I don't think that's realistic. What do you want them to do? I'm sure they are trying.

"YOU'RE FIRED!?"

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:58 AM   #8933
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
"YOU'RE FIRED!?"

On that note:

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:13 PM   #8934
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Just a word of caution here-I've seen at least three reports over the past 6-9 months that Gen Kelly was leaving, yet he is still here. So don't hold your breath on this one. My money is on Sessions leaving next-I'm certainly not a fan of his, but Trump thinks Sessions job is to protect him, and he's going to keep pushing him until he leaves and he finds someone who will try to do that.

Considering he has only been in office for 7 months, those reports from 9 months ago are jumping the gun a little.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:27 PM   #8935
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Considering he has only been in office for 7 months, those reports from 9 months ago are jumping the gun a little.

So these reports have become so common I forget who they were talking about Besides Trump has already labelled it fake news, so nothing to see here I guess.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:41 PM   #8936
Ben E Lou

Quote:

Quote:
You're assuming that the staff and the President discuss issues, plot a course of action, and formulate a messaging plan. It sure seems like the President just says whatever makes him feel good at the moment, especially when angered or buoyed by a Fox News segment.

edit: Steel companies apparently started running pro-tariff commercials on Fox hoping they would push the President towards that policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post

So, thsi is now being reported...

Old 03-02-2018, 03:53 PM   #8937
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
I guess so! Saw this this article a couple days ago:

As Milk Prices Decline, Worries About Dairy Farmer Suicides Rise : NPR

Us farmers have a higher rate of suicide than veterans, I'm told. In fact just last week I noticed an alarming post on a Dairy forum I read. The guy didn't outright say he was suicidal but I ended up reaching out and talked to the guy on the phone where he admitted he had considered suicide. But he was in much better spirits after a nice long talk (mostly listening on my part).
Old 03-02-2018, 04:14 PM   #8938
Atocep
Coordinator

I love how a guy that says trade wars are easy to win and was able to sum his economic strategy in 1 tweet was able to sell his base on being a genius businessman.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:30 PM   #8939
mckerney
Coordinator

Ex-Trump adviser sold $31m in shares days before president announced steel tariffs | Business | The Guardian

Still following through on that promise to build the swamp!
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:55 PM   #8940
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Us farmers have a higher rate of suicide than veterans, I'm told. In fact just last week I noticed an alarming post on a Dairy forum I read. The guy didn't outright say he was suicidal but I ended up reaching out and talked to the guy on the phone where he admitted he had considered suicide. But he was in much better spirits after a nice long talk (mostly listening on my part).

I grew up in a farm town. I don't think many people understand how lonely the job can be, even if you have employees. There's really no peers for the owner at most family farms. If depression hits, I could see it being really hard to find a way out, and that's without adding in the tough it out culture of the midwest.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:07 PM   #8941
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I grew up in a farm town. I don't think many people understand how lonely the job can be, even if you have employees. There's really no peers for the owner at most family farms. If depression hits, I could see it being really hard to find a way out, and that's without adding in the tough it out culture of the midwest.

So true. Luckily my dad was always open about his own depression that he successfully managed when we were growing up. When I came home to run the farm he warned me that it would more than likely be something I deal with. That came to pass a two years ago for me. Minus a bump or two in the road, I've learned how to manage it myself. You'd think selling the cows would throw me back down in the hole but I'm feeling my mental health get even better now.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:05 PM   #8942
BBT
H.S. Freshman Team

Report: Donald Trump misled the public about freeing UCLA basketball players

Quote:
“The situation was already resolved by the time we heard about Trump’s involvement,” a source told ESPN. “That’s not to take away from the fact that he got involved, but the players already had their passports back and their flights booked to go home Tuesday night when Gen. Kelly called the players.”

The players were encouraged to and did thank Trump, if only to “not create another story by not thanking him,” ESPN reported, but LiAngelo’s father LaVar Ball is not one to avoid stories. Days later, when he got in front of a microphone, LaVar said when asked of Trump’s involvement, “Who? What was he over there for? Don’t tell me nothing. Everybody wants to make it seem like he helped me out.”

Just another con.
BBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:20 PM   #8943
cuervo72
Head Coach

Trump on China's Xi consolidating power: 'Maybe we'll give that a shot some day'

Last edited by cuervo72 : 03-03-2018 at 09:20 PM.
cuervo72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:31 PM   #8944
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

And Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell still don't care.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:45 AM   #8945
QuikSand
lolzcat

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...nal-ignorance/
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:58 AM   #8946
digamma
Torchbearer

Hey, Quik, Donny from Queens here, first time long time, anyhow, we are getting crushed in trade, we need to tax the eff out of, hey look at the legs on that one, and a real shame about those kids in Florida, I mean I would have run into that building, but next time, we'll give the football coach a rocket launcher and we'll blow the hell out of those madmen.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:11 AM   #8947
Ben E Lou

Credit to Ross for coming up with a diplomatic way to say “the hell if I know!”

Chuck Todd on Twitter: "Perhaps this should be a pinned tweet: Commerce Sec Ross after I asked if it’s possible POTUS could rescind his tariff proposal: “Whatever his final decision is, is what will happen. What he has said he has said; if he says something different, it’ll be something different”"
Old 03-05-2018, 03:11 PM   #8948
Edward64
Head Coach

Looking forward to his perp walk. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/05/polit...ler/index.html
Quote:
In a defiant CNN interview, former Trump campaign aide Sam Nunberg said Monday he refuses to comply with a grand jury subpoena in the Russia investigation.

"Screw that," Nunberg told CNN's Gloria Borger. "Why do I have to go? Why? For what?"

But Nunberg said that he is not refusing to comply in order to protect President Donald Trump.

"No I'm not protecting him, but he didn't do anything," Nunberg said. "You know what he did? He won the election."

Nunberg added that he had already sat down with investigators for close to five and a half hours.

"I'm not going back in," he said.

Nunberg said he was refusing to cooperate with the subpoena because he believes investigators are trying to get him to impugn controversial Trump ally Roger Stone, who Nunberg called his mentor.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:17 PM   #8949
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Looking forward to his perp walk. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/05/polit...ler/index.html

All Mueller can threaten him with is jail.

Russian spy critically ill after being 'poisoned' by unknown substance in SalisburyÂ*
Old 03-05-2018, 03:39 PM   #8950
bronconick
College Starter

Nunberg is a prime example of why you should sober up from a long weekend of snorting coke prior to going on national TV to speak about an investigation that you are likely part of.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote