Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-10-2012, 07:25 AM   #8851
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
I wonder what the best way to quiet a baby at 2 am is. Alcohol?

Rocking Chair, but no guarantees.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:30 AM   #8852
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
I wonder what the best way to quiet a baby at 2 am is. Alcohol?

I actually miss those days.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #8853
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I went diaper change and formula...he finally went lights out around 3:30 am. He was sure to say hi two hours later. I pick him up, he passes out.

Wife oddly enough didn't want a rocking chair. Says the baby room is too small for it...though I caught her a few days back saying she wish we had one.

I read to the little guy before I/we hit the hay, I just bring a small chair in with me.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #8854
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I jokingly asked my mother in law if they made sleeping pills for babies. I don't think she liked the joke.

My wife's got hit with the pee 3 times already in his 20 days of existence. I'm pee-free thus far.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #8855
gstelmack
Pro Starter

The rocking chair helps soothe the baby, and lets you fall at least half asleep while doing it. FWIW, we have TWO in the house.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #8856
PilotMan
Head Coach

I remember plenty of midnight walking back and forth across the house.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #8857
spleen1015
Coordinator

Rocking chair for the win!
Old 07-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #8858
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Mommy's boobs for the win!
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #8859
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Wish it was that easy!

Mom's having milk issues...a 'sore' subject. She's a neonatal nurse...wants to breastfeed. She's trying every herbal remedy she can find.

The only one I've seen her turn down is drinking beer.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #8860
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
I agree up to a point, but when you are dealing with physical items that are being trained there is a need for travel. And on the technical side 80% tends to be physical.

You train robots?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #8861
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Woke up, ate breakfast, decided my eyes weren't 100% ready for the day so I went and laid back down. Got a phone call and realized it as 11:30. Oops. On the plus side, I'm wide awake now.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #8862
Grover
Pro Starter

Amanda Peet is smoking hot.

That is all.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #8863
spleen1015
Coordinator

Yo, it's about that time
To bring forth the rhythm and the rhyme
I'm a get mine so get yours
I wanna see sweat comin' out your pores
On the house tip is how I'm swingin' this
Old 07-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #8864
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Eddie Murphy "Ice Cream Man" (from Delirious) ... my child is now reliving my childhood and I'm having flashbacks.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #8865
Logan
Head Coach

Everybody's Chillin At The Nokia Pre-Party (It's Awesome) - From Our Editors - SBNation.com
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #8866
molson
General Manager

Are there any good modern home printers? I've never had a good one and I've gone through close to 10 of them. Tonight my friend had to print something, but her piece of shit nearly-brand-new printer wouldn't work (it said there was no paper in it when there was clearly paper it in.) She asked me to print it, and I though I might be able to, though I knew it'd be a fucking catastrophe. First I got an error about an ink cartridge jam (I didn't even know they could jam), so I moved some shit around, and the print job was just kind of frozen, so I turned it off, turned it on, and then it thought it was out of paper (it wasn't). But then I tried it again while I pushed the paper into it, and then it finally picked up the paper and printed it. Next time I'm just going to drive down to Kinkos.

Last edited by molson : 07-11-2012 at 10:11 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #8867
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Are there any good modern home printers? I've never had a good one and I've gone through close to 10 of them. Tonight my friend had to print something, but her piece of shit nearly-brand-new printer wouldn't work (it said there was no paper in it when there was clearly paper it in.) She asked me to print it, and I though I might be able to, though I knew it'd be a fucking catastrophe. First I got an error about an ink cartridge jam (I didn't even know they could jam), so I moved some shit around, and the print job was just kind of frozen, so I turned it off, turned it on, and then it thought it was out of paper (it wasn't). But then I tried it again while I pushed the paper into it, and then it finally picked up the paper and printed it. Next time I'm just going to drive down to Kinkos.

If there's a truly good one that's reasonably priced I haven't found it. I'm consistently told at multiple retail locations that they're built to last about 18 months of normal use (which is actually a really low number of pages) and that basically I shouldn't expect much.

That out of paper thing is a fairly common problem, the sensors that detect paper are apparently worth about a half a penny & don't work for shit. That issue even plagues my years old HP PSC 1610 AiO, which has outlasted almost a half dozen printers I've bought my wife since.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #8868
stevew
Hall Of Famer

All printers are pieces of fuck and they all need to die in a fire.

Mine has this habit of going inactive on the network. This usually requires me to manually reset it in order to print one copy.

Oh, and then the color ink will be out but you can not print black and white.

Fuck

Last edited by stevew : 07-11-2012 at 10:31 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #8869
DanGarion
Coordinator

My Canon MP620 has worked awesome for quite awhile now, I've had it nearly as long as I've been married, so probably 5-6 years. Even when it says low ink I'm still able to get a bunch of pages out of it.

Last edited by DanGarion : 07-11-2012 at 10:33 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #8870
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
...which has outlasted almost a half dozen printers I've bought my wife since.

I originally read this as "since I bought my wife."
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #8871
Poli
FOFC Survivor

He did that as well, but that's neither here nor there.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #8872
sabotai
General Manager

I have an HP LaserJet 1020. The cartridges are expensive (they're the big kind) and it just prints black and white (which is all I need), but the cartridges last a long time. And I print a lot.

I don't know how long I've had it. Maybe 6-7 years. I've never had an issue with it. I had a few crappy inkjet printers before this one. I'm never going back to them. The LaserJet is worth the money IMO.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #8873
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

I don't really need color, so I went with a laser printer. I caught this Brother printer when it was on sale for sub-$100 and honestly it has been fantastic. Maybe there is a nightmare ahead, but so far so good.

When I was shopping the color laser printers were way too expensive, though, so no idea if that is still the same.

Newegg.com - Brother HL-2270DW Workgroup Up to 27 ppm Monochrome Wireless Laser Printer with Duplex
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:57 AM   #8874
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If there's a truly good one that's reasonably priced I haven't found it. I'm consistently told at multiple retail locations that they're built to last about 18 months of normal use (which is actually a really low number of pages) and that basically I shouldn't expect much.

That out of paper thing is a fairly common problem, the sensors that detect paper are apparently worth about a half a penny & don't work for shit. That issue even plagues my years old HP PSC 1610 AiO, which has outlasted almost a half dozen printers I've bought my wife since.

Small, consumer models- yeah, I think 2 years is probably what you'll get out of them, on average. My little cheapy (~$150 for a printer/scanner/fax) HP c7200 has lasted about 5 years but I realize I've been pretty lucky on that front.

As Jon said, those front sensors are really touchy. And god forbid you put the wrong kind of paper in there or jerk the paper around (never do the "oh crap, I printed the wrong thing!" and try to pull the paper out after the pickup assembly has already grabbed the sheet- you're killing your printer doing that).

But, think about it- people keep wanting smaller footprint printers that are cheaper and go faster. Something has to give and it's the quality side of things. If it's priced too high, people won't buy. If it's too slow, people won't buy because at the store, there's a printer right next to it that lies about how fast it goes (gotta love the "it said 40 pages per minute so why do I only get 1 page every 2 minutes" phenomenon). And if it's too big, people won't buy it because they don't have a space for it. I think that's a really underrated driver of problems: making the mechanics of the printer smaller and more fragile is a big deal. But long term quality, you can't measure while standing there at the store so I suspect that's where sacrifices are made.

In KC, I worked on a lot of Laserjet 4200/4250/4300 printers with over 1 million pages on them. Those are the black and white HPs that you see practically everywhere if you look around in stores, banks, government offices, etc. They originally cost something like $1200, they're black and white, and are large by anyone's little home office standard. But they're built like a tank and can even withstand a few run of the mill a-hole office users who like to slam the tray and every once in a while, stick card stock in it and not set it to card stock (that just ruins printer pickup assemblies).

So, it's all a matter of what you're willing to pay. You want to pay for quality, you get quality. But if you want something with that many mechanics and electronics squeezed into too small of a package to work for $50, that's just unrealistic.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:15 AM   #8875
Swaggs
Coordinator

We've had good luck with this one for 2+ years:Amazon.com: Canon PIXMA MP560 Wireless Inkjet All-In-One Photo Printer (3747B002): Electronics

We rarely use it for anything other than documents (very few pictures, although the few we have done have turned out well, or color-intensive things) and copies. Works very well. It is not ridiculously fast, but is the first (only) wireless that I have ever had and I was pleased at how easy it was to set up.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #8876
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I have never had a printer last less than several years. We just replaced a Canon Pixma photo inkjet with a new Canon Pixma multi-function, simply because we needed the copy/scan function at home. The old printer still works, we just needed the extra functionality. It gets moderate use, printing various forms for us, pictures, and projects the kids create.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #8877
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm consistently told at multiple retail locations that they're built to last about 18 months of normal use (which is actually a really low number of pages) and that basically I shouldn't expect much.

FWIW, I believe this is BS. Most name companies that make printers (HP, Canon, Epson) make their money off the print cartridges, not the printers. In fact if you look for deals for a while it was better to buy a new printer than replacement cartridges, because the printer would sell for less than a new set. These days they either charge above ink cost for the printer, or put smaller tanks in with the printer so that they are worth less.

So making a printer that dies fast would be a losing proposition.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #8878
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Stones
We're gonna come around at 12 with some Puerto Rican girls that are just dying to meet you. Were gonna bring a case of wine...

That's a good friend.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #8879
QuikSand
lolzcat

So how are we to make sense of honeydew?

Every fruit salad, fruit plate, mixed fruit, and so forth -- big honkin' section of green honeydew. And when the party/event is done, there it all is, still sitting there uneaten.

Why?

From what I see at the market, it's not like it's dirt cheap, or even cheap compared to other fruits like muskmelon/canteloupe. So it's not like the peanuts in the "mixed nuts" trick, it seems. But people actually *like* canteloupe. Virtually nobody likes honeydew. So why pollute my fruit plate with it? Every time, every place?

Anyone?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #8880
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
So how are we to make sense of honeydew?

Every fruit salad, fruit plate, mixed fruit, and so forth -- big honkin' section of green honeydew. And when the party/event is done, there it all is, still sitting there uneaten.

Why?

From what I see at the market, it's not like it's dirt cheap, or even cheap compared to other fruits like muskmelon/canteloupe. So it's not like the peanuts in the "mixed nuts" trick, it seems. But people actually *like* canteloupe. Virtually nobody likes honeydew. So why pollute my fruit plate with it? Every time, every place?

Anyone?

I've wondered this myself at various times. Sometimes it can be very good but I think it might just dry out quickly which makes it unappetizing.

But to answer your question, I think it may be something very simple: color. Green is a color we like to introduce into items to make it look fresh.

The answer of course is to get those seedless watermelon geniuses to take the next step and make entire watermelons that are green.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #8881
QuikSand
lolzcat

Color is my leading candidate idea also, though unsatisfying.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #8882
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Honeydew is tasty.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #8883
cuervo72
Head Coach

I like honeydew, but most of the times I encounter it, it doesn't seem to be ripe...unless "like biting through the rind of watermelon" is how ripe honeydew should be.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #8884
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I like honeydew, but most of the times I encounter it, it doesn't seem to be ripe...unless "like biting through the rind of watermelon" is how ripe honeydew should be.

This is true. I think it's a tough fruit to get right.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #8885
Logan
Head Coach

I don't think you're gonna get a better answer than "color" QS. Important to note though, great use of this thread.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #8886
Grover
Pro Starter

At first I thought we were discussing the donuts.

Which are tasty.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #8887
gstelmack
Pro Starter

The Watery Gourmet: Honeydew And The Tyranny of Bad Fruit Salad
Old 07-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #8888
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Honeydew is tasty.

M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #8889
spleen1015
Coordinator

You guys know about the Colts Punter getting arrested a couple of years ago for public intoxication after they would him swimming in a canal here in town.

Some Pat McAfee tweets talking about his first game after the incident.

All right.. An 11 tweet long story is coming right up.. #FirstGameBack after canal suspension.. Not my best, but pretty entertaining I think

I remember my first game back after my suspension for the "Alleged Breast Stroke Incident" we were playing in Philly.. Notoriously tough

Fans.. Known to be vicious, and hilarious, so obviously I thought "Fuck this was gonna be a long game".. I mean, I had the "Embarrassing..

.Arrest Scale" maxed out.. I figured Philly would make my return miserable.. So the 1st quarter starts and it's about a minute in & I hear

what seems to be 10 men, all drunker than I was that night, behind me, screaming "MCAFEEEE..... MCAFEEE... MCAFEEE" for about 3 minutes

I was sitting there, just taking it all in, contemplating on whether or not to turn around, then I hear "GOD DAMMIT MCAFEE TURN AROUND"

So obviously I did.. The leader of the drunken armada says "Listen guy.. There's nothing wrong with having a few of these (Points at..

.his cartoon size beer) and taking a little dip, you're all right by me guy".. all of his friends erupted in2 celebration "We're probably

..gonna do it tonight.. SHIT you should come) I laughed, said thanks turned back around.. I go out 4 the 1st punt, shank it, but get a GREAT

bounce, gets downed at the 1.. I come back to the sideline, sit down.. "F*CK YOU MCAFEE.. GO SWIM IN ANOTHER CANAL DICK" from the same

group of guys.. I turn around laughing say "I thought I was invited to swim with" he cuts me off "You're not invited to SHIT with us".. The

Entire section started dying laughing.. I found a new respect for Philly.. Saw both the loving & ruthless side from the same guy... #Amazing
Old 07-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #8890
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I like honeydew. I'll choose it before most other fruits in fruit salads, including canteloupe and watermelon.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #8891
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Podiatrist visit today to see how bad my turf toe damage is.

Thought I broke the toe running stairs 8 weeks ago. X-ray 2 weeks ago didn't show a break but the top and side of the toe hurt like crazy and have since I originally hurt it.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #8892
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Two weeks ago they gave me some sort of ketamine compound to rub into it. Stinks to high heaven and I'm not sure it has even worked.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #8893
spleen1015
Coordinator

I lost a Twitter follower today. WTF?!
Old 07-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #8894
Logan
Head Coach

Sorry.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #8895
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I lost a Twitter follower today. WTF?!

RIP
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #8896
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I think it's the curse of the grocer. Like tomatoes, virtually all honeydews in the store have no taste. They're supposed to be sweet-smelling to let you know they're ripe. I have yet to smell anything when I pick up a honeydew at the grocery store.

I have to say, however, my wife and I have enjoyed many honeydew margaritas on the weekends
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #8897
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Bummed this afternoon, after an email announcing the retirement of our (my son's) school headmaster effective at the end of the upcoming school year.

An amazing man, 30 yrs on the job here, 50 yrs total in education. One of the most truly unique personalities I've ever met ... and I mean that in a good way. He's well & truly earned his retirement & I wish him nothing but the absolute best in the future.

As I said on FB earlier, even on the odd occasion when I believe he's dead wrong about something I trust that his intentions are indeed good, and that's not praise I give often or lightly.

On a more practical level, we now get to spend most of a year worrying about the future direction of the school.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #8898
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Cartilage damage in the toe. Possible surgery. Will revisit in two months. Cortisone shots are awesome.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #8899
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Bummed this afternoon, after an email announcing the retirement of our (my son's) school headmaster effective at the end of the upcoming school year.

An amazing man, 30 yrs on the job here, 50 yrs total in education. One of the most truly unique personalities I've ever met ... and I mean that in a good way. He's well & truly earned his retirement & I wish him nothing but the absolute best in the future.

As I said on FB earlier, even on the odd occasion when I believe he's dead wrong about something I trust that his intentions are indeed good, and that's not praise I give often or lightly.

On a more practical level, we now get to spend most of a year worrying about the future direction of the school.

Hopefully there will be a candidate that can keep continuity going from his administration.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #8900
JediKooter
Coordinator

Wow. There's a dude here at work that looks like he could be Zach Galifianakis' brother.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote