Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-26-2018, 09:51 PM   #8851
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Well it won't even get a committee hearing before the '18 elections, so I doubt it matters at all.

I think it comes up as an election issue. If the Dems continue to press it you'll probably see a lot of ads about it.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:24 PM   #8852
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Gun control will certainly be an issue, but this specific piece of legislation will die in a filing cabinet.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:54 AM   #8853
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Old 02-27-2018, 07:54 AM   #8854
PilotMan
Head Coach

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:59 AM   #8855
Ben E Lou

Old 02-27-2018, 10:34 AM   #8856
BBT
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
I'm cautiously optimistic for Beto, but I don't think we have a legit shot at governor. I would love to see that position return to blue, but there are no great candidates running as a Democrat.

Abbott is solidly entrenched in that spot, but I think he’s a lot of bluster; talks like a far right politician, but doesn’t always act that way.

Now, Dan Patrick, he needs to go. He’s going to turn us into Kansas, Oklahoma, or Louisiana from the Lt Gov spot.
BBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:11 PM   #8857
Galaril
Pro Starter

Good start:Rhode Island executive order encourages taking guns from 'red flag' individuals
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:17 PM   #8858
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere
So will this bill help or hurt the expected "Blue Wave" in the upcoming election? The last assault weapon ban was often blamed for Republicans taking control of congress in '94. Will this do the same if the Democrats keep pushing it? Or perhaps a greater part of the country is ready for such ban?

It has a lot more support now than it did then. I think the jury's still out though because if there's anything that will make the GOP voters turn out for a mid-term, it's this. It would need to have a lot more support than detractors for that to happen, but it does(65-70% from the polls I see).

Also, I think it's wrong to say it was a primary reason for the GOP '94 win. I'd classify that as pretty bad analysis, though I'm sure it did contribute some.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:46 PM   #8859
Thomkal
Head Coach

Kushner and the other staff in the White House with interim security clearances get their security clearance downgraded:

Kushner loses access to top-secret intelligence - POLITICO
Old 02-27-2018, 05:53 PM   #8860
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Oh, I'm sure Dad'll just let him see that shit off the record.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:05 PM   #8861
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Dems introduce bill banning assault weapons | TheHill

So will this bill help or hurt the expected "Blue Wave" in the upcoming election? The last assault weapon ban was often blamed for Republicans taking control of congress in '94. Will this do the same if the Democrats keep pushing it? Or perhaps a greater part of the country is ready for such ban?

Speaking of that "blue wave", I checked in on the progress of that - since the presidential election, 40 state legislative seats have flipped from red to blue, and only 4 have flipped the other way. Small potatoes numbers-wise considering the number of state legislators out there, but that's pretty big ratio.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:16 PM   #8862
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

About a hundred news stories broke today, but this shouldn't get lost. This makes the NSA, CIA, FBI and Cyber Command that all say the Russians are/will attack the 2018 election and our current response to that threat is minimal.

Quote:
In a response to questioning by Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), Rogers said “I believe that President Putin has clearly come to the conclusion that there’s little price to pay here…and that therefore I can continue this activity.”

The hearing also focused on the NSA and Cyber Command’s operating authorities. Sen. Jack Reed (D-R.I.) asked Rogers whether he had received orders to go after the Russian meddling operation where it originated: “Have you been directed to do so given the strategic threat that faces the United States and the significant consequences you recognize already?”

“No I have not,” Rogers responded, adding that based on authority he already has, he has “directed … to begin some specific work,” but wouldn’t elaborate in a public setting. Certain overt actions by Cyber Command, a branch of the US military, could be considered an a act of cyber warfare.

“But essentially, we have not taken on the Russians yet,” Reed pressed. “We’re watching them intrude in our elections, spread misinformation, become more sophisticated, try to achieve strategic objectives that you have recognized, and we’re just, essentially, sitting back and waiting.”
Old 02-28-2018, 12:23 AM   #8863
BBT
H.S. Freshman Team

Absolutely blows my mind that the sanctions that Congress approved haven't been implemented. In a real presidency, we'd basically be at war with the Russians for doing what they've done.

Repubs in Congress have sold their souls.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:03 AM   #8864
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBT View Post
Absolutely blows my mind that the sanctions that Congress approved haven't been implemented. In a real presidency, we'd basically be at war with the Russians for doing what they've done.

Repubs in Congress have sold their souls.

Yeah really sucks we aren't basically at war with a nuclear superpower. Sure miss the 80's and living in the fear of complete nuclear annihilation.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:29 AM   #8865
BBT
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Yeah really sucks we aren't basically at war with a nuclear superpower. Sure miss the 80's and living in the fear of complete nuclear annihilation.

Yep, it's so much better to have our media and government subverted to the whims of a corrupt totalitarian. Sure miss when the US actually stood up to our foes instead of acquiescing to them.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:22 AM   #8866
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah, just letting Russia run roughshod over our democracy seems like a good plan.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:46 AM   #8867
Edward64
Head Coach

Oh goody.

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump...h-match-2018-2
Quote:
A White House source has told the news website Axios that Jared Kushner and his wife, Ivanka Trump, are squaring up for a "death match" with the White House chief of staff, John Kelly, who they may feel betrayed them.

The news follows a horrendous Tuesday for Kushner, the senior adviser to and son-in-law of President Donald Trump, and would be the latest example of internal strife at the Trump White House.

"Javanka and Kelly are locked in a death match," the source told Axios' Mike Allen. "Two enter. Only one survives."
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:09 AM   #8868
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

This can't be what General Kelly thought he would be doing after he retired from the Marines.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:37 AM   #8869
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

Holding out hope for this:

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:02 PM   #8870
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yep, it's so much better to have our media and government subverted to the whims of a corrupt totalitarian. Sure miss when the US actually stood up to our foes instead of acquiescing to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Yeah, just letting Russia run roughshod over our democracy seems like a good plan.

Good lord, our entire country is in ruins! I thought the Obama hating crowd was bad but the "Let's start a war with Russia" group may top the 2008-2016 "America has been destroyed!" crowd.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:18 PM   #8871
Kodos
Resident Alien

Who said start a war? But certainly we can act to curtail their attempts at influencing our elections and enforce sanctions against them. Right?
Old 02-28-2018, 12:29 PM   #8872
Logan
Head Coach

"Basically" start a war. Basically.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:54 PM   #8873
BBT
H.S. Freshman Team

Sigh...calling for them to enforce sanctions, that were already approved by Congress, isn’t asking to start a war. Calling for the government to protect our info, elections, and way of life isn’t asking for them to start a war either. I’m just asking them to do their job in protecting its citizens; one of the main responsibilities of a government.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:19 PM   #8874
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Sigh...calling for them to enforce sanctions, that were already approved by Congress, isn’t asking to start a war. Calling for the government to protect our info, elections, and way of life isn’t asking for them to start a war either. I’m just asking them to do their job in protecting its citizens; one of the main responsibilities of a government.

You said "basically be at war" not me. I'm not mincing your words either unless you don't understand what basically be at war means. If you meant the other stuff why say a real president would basically be at war?

I've said before I'm not a Trump supporter in any way, shape, or form but the rhetoric from the left is just as ludicrous as it was against Obama when a lot of you guys rightfully called out how ridiculous the opposition was being. Life didn't change much during 2009-2016 and it isn't changing that much now either. It's convenient to blame the latest big story like mass shootings on Trump (which happened in droves during Clinton's presidency and Obama's as well) just like it was convenient for idiots to say how bad race relations were under Obama (when they were just as bad under Bush, Reagan etc)

Last edited by panerd : 02-28-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:47 PM   #8875
Ben E Lou

He has no principles whatsoever. This is a bigger direct threat to the 2nd Amendment than anything any President in my lifetime has ever said or done.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:04 PM   #8876
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Rick Wilson is right, everything Trump touches dies.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:06 PM   #8877
Ben E Lou

Dola...and, come to think about it, the 4th as well. He is SUCH a nitwit.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:10 PM   #8878
Ben E Lou

Holy hell.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:17 PM   #8879
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think, though, that this is where Trump's complete lack of credibility helps him.

If, say, Jeb was talking like this, the base would freak out because Jeb is not an ignorant liar. They would assume that he understood the issue and meant what he said about it.

It is so obvious at this point that (1) Trump has no clue about any policy issues, and (2) lies constantly, that we've all just internalized it. The base can hear Trump talking about the state taking away guns without any process and (correctly) figure that absolutely nothing will come of it.

Hell, Trump interjecting himself into the debate is the best thing from the perspective of those who like the status quo. When Trump stays out of the way (judges, the tax bill), the GOP gets stuff done. When Trump gets involved (immigration), he gums it all up.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:46 PM   #8880
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I think, though, that this is where Trump's complete lack of credibility helps him.

If, say, Jeb was talking like this, the base would freak out because Jeb is not an ignorant liar. They would assume that he understood the issue and meant what he said about it.

It is so obvious at this point that (1) Trump has no clue about any policy issues, and (2) lies constantly, that we've all just internalized it. The base can hear Trump talking about the state taking away guns without any process and (correctly) figure that absolutely nothing will come of it.

Hell, Trump interjecting himself into the debate is the best thing from the perspective of those who like the status quo. When Trump stays out of the way (judges, the tax bill), the GOP gets stuff done. When Trump gets involved (immigration), he gums it all up.
"We love him because he tells it like it is!"--Trump supporters in 2016

"He doesn't really mean it when he says stuff like that!"--Trump supporters in 2018.

And meanwhile, Hope Hicks is out.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:06 PM   #8881
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post

FFS. Can we please have a day with just one big news story?
Old 02-28-2018, 04:06 PM   #8882
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
"We love him because he tells it like it is!"--Trump supporters in 2016

"He doesn't really mean it when he says stuff like that!"--Trump supporters in 2018.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/28/polit...use/index.html

Can we have Trump talk to the House Intelligence Committee, then resign the next day please?
Old 02-28-2018, 04:13 PM   #8883
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Someone Forged a Nomination of Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize. Twice.

I think someone is a little jealous that Obama got this award and Trump hasn't.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:23 PM   #8884
Ben E Lou

Heh. Didn't realize Schumer had some troll in him.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:50 PM   #8885
AlexB
Pro Starter

The lady sitting next to the VP - her face is a picture when Trump slaps down Pence’s idea of not affecting anybody’s rights, and recommends not bothering about due process!

Have to hand it to him, he still finds new ways of surprising people!
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:39 PM   #8886
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

As funny as Trump is, it's going to be even better when the, "we need guns to stop government tyranny," decide that Trump in fact is right and the police do need to confiscate guns from some people.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:47 PM   #8887
corbes
College Benchwarmer

On the other side:
Yesterday liberals were all upset about latest SCOTUS opinion that didn't provide enough due process.
Today, liberals excited about less due process!
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:05 PM   #8888
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
FFS. Can we please have a day with just one big news story?

Add Sessions to the list.

I bet he is happy. On any other day, his pissing match with Trump would be the news of the day.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:26 PM   #8889
Thomkal
Head Coach

So looks like Hope Hicks might have resigned because Trump berated her for telling the House Committee that she lied for him.

Trump berated Hope Hicks for telling Congress she sometimes lies for him -- and that was her ‘final straw’: report
Old 02-28-2018, 07:34 PM   #8890
Edward64
Head Coach

No sympathy for her at all.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:44 PM   #8891
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
So looks like Hope Hicks might have resigned because Trump berated her for telling the House Committee that she lied for him.

Trump berated Hope Hicks for telling Congress she sometimes lies for him -- and that was her ‘final straw’: report

NY Times reporters saying this has been in the works for awhile and had nothing to do with yesterday's testimony. I mean maybe she got yelled at but it seems like she was on her way out anyway.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:45 PM   #8892
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Also this story is pretty crazy. We have our share of crooked deals in Chicago but this is pretty brazen.

Kushner’s Business Got Loans from Companies After White House Meetings - The New York Times
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:47 PM   #8893
BBT
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
You said "basically be at war" not me. I'm not mincing your words either unless you don't understand what basically be at war means. If you meant the other stuff why say a real president would basically be at war?

Here’s my homework since you’re asking:

My assumption is that a normal president, that isn’t under some direct or indirect influence, would have implemented the sanctions that Congress, a Republican controlled one, approved last year. Those sanctions were based on direct info from our own and our allies intel and have been confirmed by those in the know on the left and the right.

With those sanctions in place, I would imagine that any other escalation of activities or issues, such as Russian state militias attacking our troops in Syria or the continued hacking and manipulation that our intel agencies continue to report, would see a similar escalation on our end. It may not be in the form of a “physical war” instead taking on the form of a cyberwar as we take on more of an offensive role towards Russia online in trying to combat their efforts. In my opinion, that would put us “basically at war” with Russia.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:50 PM   #8894
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Also this story is pretty crazy. We have our share of crooked deals in Chicago but this is pretty brazen.

Kushner’s Business Got Loans from Companies After White House Meetings - The New York Times

At this rate, the Trump White House is going to set a record for most staff members in jail.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:47 PM   #8895
Thomkal
Head Coach

Trump aides keep folders documenting criticism by fellow Republicans: report | TheHill
Old 03-01-2018, 04:42 AM   #8896
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I don't think liberals are as excited to eschew due process as they are to see Trump say something that finally has his supporters up in arms about something he did. When T_D is giving Obama positive comparisons to Trump on gun control, the cacophony of the echo chamber dies for a moment and you can just see their faces contorting as if moving them in a certain way will bring these words into focus so they can go on blindly supporting this buffoon.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 03-01-2018 at 04:48 AM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:06 AM   #8897
Thomkal
Head Coach

Saw my first Boycott Dick's thread on Facebook. Sadly from my brother. It said they do not support your 2nd amendment right.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:18 AM   #8898
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Saw my first Boycott Dick's thread on Facebook. Sadly from my brother. It said they do not support your 2nd amendment right.

And this place ate it right up and my friends in TN are eating it up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1519906645419.jpg (20.1 KB, 285 views)
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:40 AM   #8899
Thomkal
Head Coach

well give them a point for the humor?
Old 03-01-2018, 06:54 AM   #8900
Edward64
Head Coach

I don't buy my guns from Dicks's, BassPro, Walmart etc. (and only the occasional ammo)

There are a lot of "indie" gun stores that are probably jumping for joy right now and making a killing. I'm okay with that, supporting smaller businesses etc.