Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-30-2023, 07:35 PM   #8651
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Actually, McCarthy agreed to a separate Ukraine vote to get the Dems to agree to the CR. Expect chaos when the House reconvenes.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 09-30-2023 at 07:35 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 07:58 PM   #8652
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yeah don't understand the Bowman thing at all. He was a principal before he came to Congress so pretty sure he knows what an fire alarm looks like. The door opener I saw if I'm reading it correctly is far removed from the alarm. Did he just have a "brain fart and pull the wrong thing?"

Last edited by Thomkal : 09-30-2023 at 08:29 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 08:16 PM   #8653
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Just own it, dude. You pulled the fire alarm knowing it was a fire alarm.

"I thought that random handle that said FIRE would open a door I've used before" is a bullshit excuse.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 08:24 PM   #8654
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Actually, McCarthy agreed to a separate Ukraine vote to get the Dems to agree to the CR. Expect chaos when the House reconvenes.

The second he tries, there will be a motion to vacate (which supersedes all other business)
Old 09-30-2023, 08:27 PM   #8655
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Just own it, dude. You pulled the fire alarm knowing it was a fire alarm.

"I thought that random handle that said FIRE would open a door I've used before" is a bullshit excuse.
What's worse. he attempted to disrupt Congress, which is what many of the January 6th defendants were charged with. He should legitimately be charged with a felony.
Old 09-30-2023, 08:30 PM   #8656
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
The second he tries, there will be a motion to vacate (which supersedes all other business)
They already tried and the person with the gavel ignored the motion. Like I said, chaos coming.
Old 09-30-2023, 08:33 PM   #8657
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I'm okay with this (I think).

Is there really a negative other than short-term Russian propaganda win?

A clean vote on yes/no aid to Ukraine will everyone know where everyone stands. I cannot imagine the $6B will not pass. This lets those against it (on both sides) have it on record for their constituents and we can move on.

There is danger in the future for the next round if progress isn't going well or if Joe asks for $50B. But that would happen anyway regardless of this separate vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

Yeah, I want to see this come to a head. Tired of the extremists and their drama.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-30-2023 at 08:35 PM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 08:38 PM   #8658
Edward64
Head Coach

Okay, it has officially passed Congress.

T-1+45.

Quote:
Congress has passed a stopgap funding measure within hours of its deadline to prevent a federal government shutdown. It now goes to President Joe Biden’s desk for approval, and the White House has indicated he will sign it.
Old 09-30-2023, 08:41 PM   #8659
Flasch186
Coordinator

Everyone must always remember that lying is no longer a sin for these “Christians”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 08:40 AM   #8660
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Don't look now, but we may be nearing Serbia/Kosovo war 2. The Serbs are massing troops on the border.
Old 10-01-2023, 08:46 AM   #8661
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Don't look now, but we may be nearing Serbia/Kosovo war 2. The Serbs are massing troops on the border.

Serbia likes to kind of poke Kosovo every now and then but I doubt they have the fuel and equipment to do much of anything. The fires that Milosevic stoked years ago don't really burn as hot anymore.

I'll be very surprised if anything comes of it.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 09:18 AM   #8662
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Yeah, I want to see this come to a head. Tired of the extremists and their drama.

Some entertainment next week! As McCarthy has said "bring it".

Quote:
GOP Rep. Matt Gaetz will seek to oust House Speaker Kevin McCarthy from his leadership post this week, he told CNN's Jake Tapper on Sunday.

His comments come after McCarthy relied on Democratic votes to pass a stopgap funding measure to avert a federal government shutdown Saturday night — a move that hardline conservatives had threatened could cost him his job.

“I do intend to file a motion to vacate against Speaker McCarthy this week. I think we need to rip off the Band-Aid. I think we need to move on with new leadership that can be trustworthy,” Gaetz said on CNN’s "State of the Union."
Old 10-01-2023, 09:28 AM   #8663
bhlloy
Coordinator

It’s not a bad time to do it though, given the general fatigue/animosity towards Ukraine in many western countries and especially in countries like Poland, Hungary and Slovakia right now.

Put it this way, I don’t see any way NATO has enough unity to step in like they did last time.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 10:56 AM   #8664
Atocep
Coordinator

On the other hand the country that would be their primary backer and supplier is a little preoccupied.
Old 10-01-2023, 11:29 AM   #8665
Edward64
Head Coach

There's about 4,500 KFOR troops (NATO led but not exclusively NATO) to help Kosovo.

My guess is Serbia knows they can't do much. Probably supported, funded and directed by Russia to cause distractions like cross border raids. But I'm thinking if Serbia actually invades, KFOR will engage and push them back.

Now Armenia vs Azerbaijan is a different issue. Don't know if there's anyone willing to put boots on the ground for Armenia.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-01-2023 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-01-2023, 02:34 PM   #8666
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Some entertainment next week! As McCarthy has said "bring it".

Man.

More drama soon

House GOP members seek to expel Gaetz amid renewed threat to vacate House Speaker McCarthy | Fox News
Quote:
House GOP members are preparing a motion to expel Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fla., amid his renewed threat to pursue a motion to vacate House Speaker Kevin McCarthy.

The House Republican members will seek to expel Gaetz if the ethics committee report comes back with findings of guilt, Fox News has learned. One member told Fox News the report is mostly written but does not know what it contains. Yet following threats to vacate McCarthy, the member said of Gaetz, "No one can stand him at this point. A smart guy without morals."

It takes a two-thirds vote to expel. And Republicans are treading on thin ice with their majority. The House is down to 433 members. It’s unclear where things stand with federally indicted Rep. George Santos, R-N.Y. If you were to have members expelled, retire or die, the majority could be right on the edge for the GOP.
Old 10-01-2023, 02:37 PM   #8667
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Can't believe I'm defending Gaetz, but he's done nothing more than Santos or Gaser or Boebert.
Old 10-01-2023, 10:50 PM   #8668
Edward64
Head Coach

Whew, the Dems dodged a close one by not picking the rumored Meghan Markle.

Laphonza Butler: California Gov. Newsom appoints Laphonza Butler to fill Feinstein's Senate seat | CNN Politics
Quote:
California Gov. Gavin Newsom will appoint Laphonza Butler to fill the late Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s Senate seat, two sources with direct knowledge of the decision told CNN Sunday evening.

Butler serves as the current president of EMILY’s List.
Old 10-02-2023, 12:01 AM   #8669
RainMaker
General Manager

A lobbyist who lives in Maryland is an interesting choice for California Senator. But I guess Newsom owed her a favor for raising money for him.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 12:18 AM   #8670
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The funny thing is that this makes a double-double election in 2024.

By state law, they have to hold a special election to fill the seat at some point, despite Newsom appointing Butler, so to minimize costs, they set it to be done at the same time as the regularly scheduled Senate Election in 2024.

So there will be TWO elections running at the same time.

1) To fill the six weeks or so left on Feinstein's term after the election (End of November 2024- Early/Mid January 2025)
2) The regular 2025-2031 term of office

That means you'll have to vote in two different primaries at the same time (they do Jungle-style primaries, where all qualified candidates run in one big group, and the top two vote getters advance to the General Election), and then in November 2024, vote in two different general elections at the same time for the senate seat.

Now, in theory, someone could run solely for one and not the other (Nov 24-Jan25 or 2025-31), but probably it will be the same people in both elections.

Which brings up so many questions. The way this is setup, can you legally donate the maximum twice? (to the Special Election and the Regular Election). Do you have to have a certain amount of signatures to run, and do you have to have everyone sign two different sets of nomination papers? (and can the same people who signed the nomination papers for the special election also sign for the normal election?)

It's just.. well.. goofy.
Old 10-02-2023, 06:52 AM   #8671
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

So if you're McCarthy, you know that the MAGA caucus is going to spend the next few weeks trying to organize your ouster.

Why give them the chance to get their ducks in a row?

Have your most trusted lieutenant show up today and file the motion to vacate. Frame it as "Put up or shut up." Come in strong with a "I'm going to win this vote, and then we can get down to business." Make them scramble. Shoot the gun yourself and take away their silver bullet.
Old 10-02-2023, 07:08 AM   #8672
Edward64
Head Coach

My guess is McCarthy and allies have been busy reaching out to the Jeffries & crew to negotiate an "understanding". McCarthy needs to get his own ducks in a row. I've also read this may include discussing with Dems increasing the bar for the move to vacate.

Dems don't trust McCarthy. I get that but is anyone else going to be better? If there truly is a viable alternative that Jeffries & crew think is better than McCarthy, I say go for it. But I'm thinking it's the devil you know ... and at least this devil will owe you.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-02-2023 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-02-2023, 07:16 AM   #8673
GrantDawg

There are rumors that are just that. The Dens agree to prop McCarthy for a statis qou budget through the election, Ukraine support, and the end of the impeachment inquiry. I honestly don't think that is enough.

Old 10-02-2023, 07:49 AM   #8674
Edward64
Head Coach

Hmmm, I'm not sure McCarthy could survive tossing the impeachment inquiry process. Maybe an understanding his allies won't vote to impeach when the time comes.

I personally would prefer something on the Immigration "Dignity Act" Bill. There's enough in there for both sides to call it a compromise win.

... and if McCarthy screws the Dems, easy enough for Jeffries to pick up the phone to Gaetz

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-02-2023 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-02-2023, 09:02 AM   #8675
Thomkal
Head Coach

I had not seen that Gov Newsom had pledged to replace Feinstein with a black woman, so good for him for holding to his promise even if she has no real congressional experience. + also for the first black woman from CA in the Senate, plus to the LBGT community as well. I still wanted someone with more experience.
Old 10-02-2023, 11:51 AM   #8676
GrantDawg

Just heard an explanation of what happened Saturday by Jeff Jackson. He said the deal came as a surprise, and McCarthy tried to get it passed without the Democrats reading the bill. Minority Leader Jefferies asked to speak and wasted 55 minutes to give reps time to read the bill. There was a pay raise for Congress snuck in their that the Dems made them remove. I'm betting Fox News isn't reporting on that

Old 10-02-2023, 12:25 PM   #8677
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Just heard an explanation of what happened Saturday by Jeff Jackson. He said the deal came as a surprise, and McCarthy tried to get it passed without the Democrats reading the bill. Minority Leader Jefferies asked to speak and wasted 55 minutes to give reps time to read the bill. There was a pay raise for Congress snuck in their that the Dems made them remove. I'm betting Fox News isn't reporting on that

He's the one politician that seems to have tik tok figured out. Using it to explain what's going on behind the scenes on everything is brilliant.
Old 10-02-2023, 12:59 PM   #8678
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

They have.

Democratic lawmaker falsely claims House Republicans tried to ‘provide themselves with a pay raise’ | Fox News

1) The Senate proposal explicitly said no COLA (cost of living adjustments)
2) The House version dropped this stipulation which DeLaura pointed out
3) The standard is COLA is automatic for Congress if not explicitly stated otherwise
4) Therefore, if you believe COLA is a pay raise, then DeLaura is correct

In my corporate world experience, there is no doubt COLA is considered a pay raise.
Old 10-02-2023, 02:15 PM   #8679
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
A lobbyist who lives in Maryland is an interesting choice for California Senator. But I guess Newsom owed her a favor for raising money for him.

Well she had lived in California from 2009 to 2021 when she moved to Maryland for her job. She has plenty of ties to the state.
Old 10-02-2023, 03:07 PM   #8680
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
Well she had lived in California from 2009 to 2021 when she moved to Maryland for her job. She has plenty of ties to the state.

I would have probably gone with one of the 40 million who actually live in the state to represent the state. Also someone who is not a lobbyist trying to gut workers rights. But she's probably better than Feinstein's corpse.
Old 10-02-2023, 03:20 PM   #8681
GrantDawg

The former president of a union in California is working to gut workers rights? Interesting.

Old 10-02-2023, 03:32 PM   #8682
GrantDawg

"Butler, who is based in Washington and maintains close ties with Los Angeles, had a stint as director for public policy and campaigns at Airbnb and spent nearly two decades as a powerful and well-respected labor leader with the Service Employees International Union. As president of SEIU California, she worked closely with then-Gov. Jerry Brown on policies like hiking the minimum wage to $15 per hour and raising taxes for wealthy Californians. She also served on the University of California Board of Regents, to which she was appointed by Brown in 2018 before stepping down in 2021."
Yeah, she sounds really anti-labor.

Old 10-02-2023, 03:43 PM   #8683
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
The former president of a union in California is working to gut workers rights? Interesting.

Yes. After she did that, she went on to work for a lobbying firm that fought to bust unions and stop Assembly Bill 5 in California, which would have classified gig workers as employees.

She then moved to Maryland to work for AirBnB where she helped lead the charge to deregulate the housing market and downplay the rash of sexual assault claims involving the company.

Dress it up how you like, but she's a resident of Maryland who is open to the highest bidder.
Old 10-02-2023, 04:50 PM   #8684
GrantDawg

Well what would you expect working with such conservative mentors like Jerry Brown and Gavin Newsome.

Old 10-02-2023, 05:28 PM   #8685
RainMaker
General Manager

I mean her job is to basically funnel money to Newsome and other California politicians from corporate donors. This is her prize for being a good fundraiser.
Old 10-02-2023, 06:21 PM   #8686
GrantDawg

Yup. She raises support for Pro-Choice women to run for office. The horror.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 10-02-2023 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-02-2023, 06:38 PM   #8687
RainMaker
General Manager

There's like 10 million women in California you could choose that are pro-choice that weren't lobbying for Uber and AirBnB. That's an incredibly low bar.

This has everything to do with keeping the donors happy. Barbara Lee checks all the same boxes, is actually a resident of the state, and is not bought and paid for.
Old 10-02-2023, 07:18 PM   #8688
GrantDawg

She is from California. She spent her whole adult career in California. Spend a year or two somewhere else doesn't erase two decades of being a political powerhouse in a state. It is just such a dumb objection to her, like most of what you are saying. Just say you wanted Barbara Lee and get over it. I personally wish he had picked Katie Porter. Heck. I wish Katie Porter would run for president, but I am not crying about it.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 10-02-2023 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-02-2023, 07:31 PM   #8689
bronconick
College Starter

Barbara Lee is bought and paid for by Father Time. Replacing a 90 year old with a 77 year old would be dumb.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 07:58 PM   #8690
Edward64
Head Coach

Here we go ...

Fascinating civics lesson.

Quote:
Rep. Matt Gaetz on Monday moved ahead in his attempt to oust Speaker Kevin McCarthy from the top House leadership post, offering a motion to vacate the chair on the House floor – a rare procedural move that can be used to force a vote to remove the speaker.
Quote:
McCarthy is at risk of losing five or more Republicans on an expected motion to vacate the speaker’s chair, more defections than he can afford to lose – meaning he is certain to need Democratic votes to survive, according to sources familiar with the matter.

Gaetz and Reps. Eli Crane and Bob Good have all said they will vote yes on the motion, while Rep. Andy Biggs tells CNN he’s “favorably disposed” to vote for it and Rep. Tim Burchett says his “conscience” is telling him to “vote him out” but he’s still torn.
Old 10-03-2023, 08:29 AM   #8691
Edward64
Head Coach

Nice shade.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/10/03/hous...al-issues.html
Quote:
House Speaker Kevin McCarthy on Tuesday lashed out at Rep. Matt Gaetz, saying the fellow Republican lawmaker has “personal things in his life that he has challenges with.”

McCarthy threw that jab on CNBC’s “Squawk Box” one day after Gaetz moved to oust him as the leader of the House.

McCarthy accused Gaetz of harboring a grudge over the speaker’s refusal to quash a congressional ethics complaint against him that is related to allegations of sexual misconduct.

“He wants me to try to wipe that away,” McCarthy said. “I’m not going to do that. That’s illegal. And you know what? If some way I lose my job because I uphold the law [and the] continuity of government, so be it.”

It would be nice but not convinced anything will come out of the ethics investigation. The DOJ declined to pursue so unless there are some different charges, I'd think it leans towards a nothing burger. But good to bring it up now and then.
Old 10-03-2023, 11:02 AM   #8692
Thomkal
Head Coach

So keep an eye on the House today, vote to remove McCarthy from House Speakership is coming up for a vote today at about 1:30 and so far it does not look like Democrats are going to save him.
Old 10-03-2023, 11:04 AM   #8693
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
So keep an eye on the House today, vote to remove McCarthy from House Speakership is coming up for a vote today at about 1:30 and so far it does not look like Democrats are going to save him.

Nor should they. No reason to help then govern effectively.
Old 10-03-2023, 11:18 AM   #8694
Edward64
Head Coach

Yup sounds like it. Per Jeffries …

Quote:
House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries made it clear on social media that Democrats won’t save House Speaker Kevin McCarthy.

They must find a way to end the House Republican Civil War.

Quote:
In the more than two-hour caucus meeting this morning, House Democratic leader Hakeem Jeffries wanted members to find consensus among themselves before laying out what the caucus position would be: They will not help House Speaker Kevin McCarthy keep his job.

But as more than 30 members spoke behind closed doors, it became clear: there was no trust for McCarthy — and trying to wade into a messy intra-party GOP civil war with a broad coalition of Democrats opposed to him wasn’t going to happen.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-03-2023 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-03-2023, 11:23 AM   #8695
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I am *so glad* that they got a CR through before this went down.
Old 10-03-2023, 11:25 AM   #8696
bronconick
College Starter

Next question: Will they select a new Speaker in the next 42 days when the clock runs out?
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 12:33 PM   #8697
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think it's entirely possible that they don't. The CR isn't nearly long enough to give me confidence on that.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 12:49 PM   #8698
Edward64
Head Coach

If Trump tosses his hat into the ring, anything is possible!
Old 10-03-2023, 02:11 PM   #8699
GrantDawg

Sort of "ho-hum" day in Congress. Anything else going on?

I think the plan is to leave the Speaker vacant to force a shut down and prevent Ukraine aid unless the nut-wing gets a laundry list of what that want with someone other than McCarthy speaker.

I also think it is possible this is going to be shut down by Pelosi and company not showing up for the final vote, and then the GOP expelling Gaetz from the caucus.
Old 10-03-2023, 02:27 PM   #8700
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If Trump tosses his hat into the ring, anything is possible!

Hmm ... y'know, there would be worse strategic moves by the (D) than to put his name up for a vote.

Would cost a lot of (R) a lot of votes/donations no matter what they did.

I mean, if your opposition is embroiled in a civil war, there are worse ideas than to help it along.