Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-25-2023, 06:00 PM   #8601
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Weird, since 1/2 them are trying to ban Plan-B.
Ghost Econ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 11:44 AM   #8602
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I did not anticipate GOPers defending Menendez, but I guess that's part of the price of blindly supporting Trump.
Old 09-26-2023, 12:38 PM   #8603
Edward64
Head Coach

Nice SCOTUS

Supreme Court rejects Alabama's attempt to avoid creating a second Black majority district | CNN Politics
Quote:
The Supreme Court on Tuesday rejected an emergency bid from Alabama, setting the stage for a new congressional map likely to include a second Black majority district to account for the state’s 27% Black population.

The one-line order reflects that the feelings on the court haven’t changed since June when a 5-4 Supreme Court affirmed a lower court that had ordered the state to redraw its seven-seat congressional map to include a second majority-Black district or “something quite close to it.”
Quote:
The justices’ action will have immediate consequences in Alabama and perhaps nationwide in the 2024 elections. There are currently six Republicans and one Democratic member of Congress from Alabama, but the changing makeup of the districts is likely to mean the state will pick up a new Democratic member of Congress.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 12:41 PM   #8604
Edward64
Head Coach

Oh, and T-5
Old 09-26-2023, 01:26 PM   #8605
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Up to 7 Dem senators against Menendez. It’s a shame it’s not more by now.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 01:27 PM   #8606
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

What's the rule on the Senate expelling a member? How many votes do they need?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 01:47 PM   #8607
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I did not anticipate GOPers defending Menendez, but I guess that's part of the price of blindly supporting Trump.
I'm telling you. He is a Republican by next week.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 01:54 PM   #8608
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
What's the rule on the Senate expelling a member? How many votes do they need?

2/3 according to the Constitution I think
Old 09-26-2023, 02:09 PM   #8609
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

So if enough Dems decide to expel him, do the GOPers vote along with it?

The #bothsides caucus really wants him to stay in. But even the American media would have to note it if the reason he stayed was because of GOP votes, right?

(Rhetorical question. Of course they won't have to note it.)
Old 09-26-2023, 04:50 PM   #8610
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Senate unveils short term funding deal. Apparently has Senate GOP support.

McCarthy has done, I think, a much better job than people have given him credit for.

But if the Senate GOP is (effectively) telling him to ditch the Looney Toons caucus, then he needs to do that.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 09-26-2023 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-26-2023, 07:57 PM   #8611
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal
2/3 according to the Constitution I think

Yep. Hasn't happened in modern times though; they've all resigned before going through the indignity of being expelled.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 09:40 PM   #8612
Edward64
Head Coach

Some more details on the Senate deal

Just a moment...
Quote:
The details: The measure, released by Senate Appropriations Committee chair Patty Murray (D-Wash.) on Tuesday afternoon, would keep funding at 2023 levels and include about $6.2 billion in aid to Ukraine and $6 billion in disaster relief.

The Ukraine and disaster aid figures mean the battle over the Biden administration's much larger request for supplemental funding for those two purposes likely would be punted until November.

The bill also would extend the Federal Aviation Administration's authorization as well as food assistance programs that are set to expire Sept. 30.
Below sounds promising. I read in another article McCarthy will bring up border security but no details on what he is proposing.

Quote:
House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) said Tuesday he wants to meet with President Biden, signaling a sudden willingness to compromise on government spending even as right-wingers in his party threaten to replace him if he compromises on spending cuts they want.

I hope McCarthy cuts a deal with Biden (including Democrat support for his speakership). I want to see the GOP extremists try to remove McCarthy, pretty interesting to see how that all plays out.

Best bet is they won't do much and sulk back to their corners. They may try but with Dem support, it'll prove them toothless. Wild card is where Trump will put his support.
Old 09-27-2023, 06:06 AM   #8613
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Joe, no rush in getting this guy back. And certainly don't trade him for anything much.

Can't a guy catch a break?

I'm guessing he'll be dishonorably discharged. Don't think he'll face anything else other than public humiliation for the rest of his life. Maybe he should try Russia ...

Travis King: North Korea has decided to 'expel' US soldier, state media reports | CNN
Quote:
North Korea has decided “to expel” US Army Private Travis King, who crossed into the North from South Korea during a tour of the joint security area in July, state media KCNA reported on Wednesday.
Old 09-27-2023, 06:48 AM   #8614
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Up to 7 Dem senators against Menendez. It’s a shame it’s not more by now.

Up to 26 now.
Old 09-27-2023, 06:56 AM   #8615
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Can't a guy catch a break?

I'm guessing he'll be dishonorably discharged. Don't think he'll face anything else other than public humiliation for the rest of his life. Maybe he should try Russia ...

Travis King: North Korea has decided to 'expel' US soldier, state media reports | CNN
He will serve some time in a military prison, or more likely a military hospital.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 12:08 PM   #8616
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64
I hope McCarthy cuts a deal with Biden (including Democrat support for his speakership).

I don't see Democrats supporting McCarthy. If I were a Democrat I'd be asking why we would cover for Republican problems with their own infighting. I don't see a good answer to that.
Old 09-27-2023, 12:29 PM   #8617
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I don't see Democrats supporting McCarthy. If I were a Democrat I'd be asking why we would cover for Republican problems with their own infighting. I don't see a good answer to that.

Because if I was Joe, Schumer, and Jeffries I'd be thinking ...

1) McCarthy's replacement could be worse
2) Cut a backroom deal with McCarthy and say "you need us to support you for Speaker, you support us on X ... here are the rough parameters e.g. Immigration reform or whatever

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-27-2023 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-27-2023, 12:51 PM   #8618
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post

Yeah, and it looks like some Democrats are in favor only if McCarthy makes concessions such as dropping the Biden impeachment inquiry and adhering to prior spending agreements.
Old 09-27-2023, 05:49 PM   #8619
Edward64
Head Coach

nvm.

T-4. The game of chicken continues.

Quote:
Pressed on if McCarthy told the conference that he will not bring up the Senate legislation, Good responded, “That’s exactly right.”

A second House Republican confirmed to The Hill that McCarthy said he would not bring the measure to the floor for a vote.
Old 09-27-2023, 07:52 PM   #8620
Atocep
Coordinator

A rather fascinating (but not surprising) poll from HarrisX:

53% of republicans believe Trump is a man of faith. While only 35% believe Romney is and 23% believe Biden is.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 08:02 PM   #8621
Atocep
Coordinator

Matt Gaetz and company want a shutdown so we're likely going to get one. It's a chance for their little group to get in front of the cameras and make soundbites they can put in reelection ads and use to build their name for statewide races.

Where, exactly, McCarthy draws the line with them will be interesting because he could give them everything they want right now and they'd move the goalposts to get a shutdown.

My boss is retiring at the end of this week and I move into her spot managing our hospital's Help Desk and Customer Support IT Branch on day 1 of this shutdown. Should be good times.
Old 09-27-2023, 08:56 PM   #8622
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

How many in the House would vote for the continuing resolution passed in the Senate with 77 votes if only McCarthy would allow it to come up for a vote.

You can't work with these terrorists because the deal you struck yesterday won't matter to them today.
Old 09-27-2023, 09:02 PM   #8623
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
How many in the House would vote for the continuing resolution passed in the Senate with 77 votes if only McCarthy would allow it to come up for a vote.

You can't work with these terrorists because the deal you struck yesterday won't matter to them today.

There really should be a threshold to automatically trigger a vote from the other chamber when a bill is passed.

It makes no sense that 15 members of the house can effectively block a bill that overwhelmingly passed Senate and would easily pass in the House if the Speaker would bring it up for a vote.
Old 09-27-2023, 09:02 PM   #8624
Jas_lov
College Starter

The CR would get 300+ votes but more from Democrats, similar to the debt ceiling vote. The whole thing is just so stupid.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 01:52 PM   #8625
Atocep
Coordinator

I'm 50/50 on this impeachment inquiry ending with the GOP impeaching Hunter Biden.
Old 09-28-2023, 03:19 PM   #8626
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The Senate has passed a bipartisan bill that the President will sign. And the GOP in the House won't even put it to a vote.

Seems like a pretty simple message for the Dems to repeat over and over and over.
Old 09-29-2023, 06:29 AM   #8627
Edward64
Head Coach

T-2

Looking pretty inevitable now. Question is how long will it last.
Old 09-29-2023, 07:01 AM   #8628
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

No idea.

"Defund prosecution of Trump" is a non-starter, but I am not sure what else the hardliners would accept.
Old 09-29-2023, 07:23 AM   #8629
Edward64
Head Coach

35 days is the record during Trump. Next is 21 days during Clinton.

I'm guessing < 2 weeks.

Just a frivolous thought. Won't happen but they should put some portion of social security in jeopardy (say 20%). I bet that will really, really get them to focus.
Old 09-29-2023, 07:45 AM   #8630
Flasch186
Coordinator

Focus isn’t the problem

kool aid is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 08:30 AM   #8631
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well I guess that's one way to get her to retire...

Senator Feinstein has passed away at age 90
Old 09-29-2023, 08:37 AM   #8632
miked
College Starter

It's amazing that a few assholes that represent the tiniest fraction of people in the middle of nowhere can grind the entire country to a halt based on nothing. It's not like they want anything real. We need to change the rules so that a small number of crazies can't decide the fate of the entire country.
Old 09-29-2023, 08:41 AM   #8633
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Well I guess that's one way to get her to retire...

Senator Feinstein has passed away at age 90

She voted yesterday... so let's see if she votes today just to make sure.
Ghost Econ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 08:42 AM   #8634
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

A practical problem with that whole change the rules idea is that it requires a constitutional amendment, which is an even higher bar. Thing about it is, a handful of people can do nothing if they don't get others to go along with it. Those others is where energy is more productively spent IMO.
Old 09-29-2023, 08:54 AM   #8635
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
She voted yesterday... so let's see if she votes today just to make sure.

Well Halloween is right around the corner...Regardless of what happened towards the end of her career, she certainly a trailblazer for women in politics and should be remembered for that,
Old 09-29-2023, 01:29 PM   #8636
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

RIP Dianne Feinstein. You were a pretty bad Senator who was wrong on just about every issue over the past 50 years. My condolences to the family and the people who were voting in her name the past few years.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 01:33 PM   #8637
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

They should lock the staffers who perpetuated the fraud for a decade in her tomb like the Egyptians did.
Old 09-29-2023, 01:41 PM   #8638
bronconick
College Starter

McCarthy got a procedural vote on a DOA short term funding bill through 218-210, after which they cut his balls off shooting the actual bill down 198-232.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 01:57 PM   #8639
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

LOL
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 04:48 PM   #8640
Atocep
Coordinator

I was told today our hospital has enough to make at least 1 more payroll. So hopefully this doesn't drag out.
Old 09-29-2023, 05:05 PM   #8641
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Yup. One more paycheck then lol
Old 09-29-2023, 05:23 PM   #8642
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Mayor Adams clearly put out the word to NYC government officials to praise him by name. They are all saying, Mayor Adams' administration..." before praising the response to the flooding.
Old 09-29-2023, 05:42 PM   #8643
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

FEMA is almost out of money, apparently, so best of luck to New York and any potential hurricane landing spots.
Old 09-30-2023, 05:34 AM   #8644
Edward64
Head Coach

T-1

As to be expected, some backroom maneuvering going on.

Gaetz war against McCarthy could leave Dems playing kingmaker | CNN Politics
Quote:
Gaetz then floated veteran Republican Rep. Tom Cole of Oklahoma and House GOP Whip Tom Emmer of Minnesota as two alternative examples he had in mind, and then attempted to gauge whether this member would be open to supporting an effort to oust McCarthy
:
Asked about working with Democrats on his McCarthy ouster effort, Gaetz said: “The subject has come up, but it’s not my focus.” He also emphasized has not tried to offer any concessions to Democrats in exchange for their help.

“I have made no offer to Democrats and I would not,” he said.

But McCarthy’s critics aren’t the only ones privately courting House Democrats to play for their team in the ongoing speaker drama. GOP moderates and pragmatic members have also been working Democrats on a plan to get them out of a likely government shutdown and build a consensus to save McCarthy if he faces a so-called “motion to vacate” the speaker’s chair – an effort that has taken on more urgency since a House GOP stopgap bill failed on the floor Friday at the hands of conservative hardliners.
Old 09-30-2023, 12:22 PM   #8645
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I hope Democrats don't take the bait, as history has shown that shutdowns end up hurting the GOP politically (IIRC all shutdowns have been happened during GOP control of the House).

Or if they make a deal, do it for real & lasting concessions. Something unprecedented like voting control over several committees.
Old 09-30-2023, 01:47 PM   #8646
bronconick
College Starter

45 day extension with raises for Congress (fuckin' seriously?) and stripping out Ukraine aid.
Old 09-30-2023, 02:39 PM   #8647
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

“The damage to our nation’s reputation and critical programming, and chaos for America’s families is because of a small group of [Republican] peckerheads in the House,” Fetterman said on Saturday. “This national upheaval is inflicted by choice over nothing except Fox News face time and tributes to the lunatic fringe from their district.”
Old 09-30-2023, 06:18 PM   #8648
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

McCarthy (mostly) blinked. 45 day CR with no additional funding to Ukraine. 91 Nays from his own party, but it passes with Dems voting en masse to support it (reluctantly)

We're going to spend 45 days with the hard right going after McCarthy, I expect at least one attempt to oust him imminently.
Old 09-30-2023, 06:32 PM   #8649
bronconick
College Starter

Gaetz tried to do it right away but the McCarthy ally holding the gavel ignored him and adjourned

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/stat...92162536391106
Old 09-30-2023, 06:59 PM   #8650
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
T-1

nvm. Reset the clock to T-1+45

All things considered, an acceptable compromise. GOP don't get their border security, Dems (and GOP) don't get Ukrainian funding. And the Dems can't justify a government shutdown to the public because of $6B to Ukraine.

Yeah, let see the vacate the speaker process. I like this to come to a head and have it settled one way or another. I'm still betting McCarthy will do backroom deals with Dems if he needs their support.

EDIT: ... and what the heck was Senator Bowman thinking? I want see a picture of the fire alarm handle. If its anything like the standard fire alarms I've seen, it's a ridiculous excuse.

Quote:
Bowman’s spokeswoman Emma Simon admitted her boss made a mistake.

“Congressman Bowman did not realize he would trigger a building alarm as he was rushing to make an urgent vote.

The congressman regrets any confusion,” she said.

Bowman insisted to reporters afterwards that he pulled the alarm handle — because he thought it would open the door.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-30-2023 at 07:04 PM.