Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-08-2018, 12:36 PM   #8601
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
With the new spending, the 2019 deficit is projected at 5.6% of GDP.

In a booming economy.

Madness.

Good thing we'll still be a couple years away from deficits mattering then.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:46 PM   #8602
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Don't know about this case, but with a starting sample of 21, having them successfully penetrate "them", meaning plural, meaning at least 2, means a hit rate of no lower than 9.5%.

In my corporate world, a failure rate that high would be met with the fury of a thousand suns.

Quote:
"We saw a targeting of 21 states and an exceptionally small number of them were actually successfully penetrated."
I think "them" actually refers to the 21 states, and technically it could be 0 states penetrated - which would qualify as an exceptionally small number! It's definitely not what they mean, but I miss the grammar thread.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 02-08-2018 at 12:47 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:44 PM   #8603
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

https://politics.theonion.com/woman-...ing-1822839716
Old 02-08-2018, 03:32 PM   #8604
Edward64
Head Coach

Okay, we are officially in correction territory. Time to stop Dow.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:40 PM   #8605
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Okay, we are officially in correction territory. Time to stop Dow.

I got 25 years. The economy means much more than the Dow. Let it run, it's been beyond hot. 10% is fine. Even 20% is probably fine looking and the year over year for the last 10.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:39 PM   #8606
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So Rand Paul is trying to block the funding bill and shutdown the government. If only more congressman were fiscal hawks.

Although it be pointed out that Paul voted for the Tax Bill that added a lot to the deficit.

This is why I have a love/hate attitude towards Paul.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:14 PM   #8607
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'd put a big bet on Paul stopping before a late vote. He's all about the show.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:33 PM   #8608
bronconick
College Starter

He can go until 2am where there will be a vote unless Lee or Cruz want to talk. So technically, the government will be shut down for a few hours
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:47 PM   #8609
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

I have to say I think the media is way over covering this. No one outside Washington would have known who this guy is or what his job was. He's not a policy maker, or adviser on any subject to Trump. So why then are they non-stop on this I have to ask.

The allegations are pretty horrible, and he never should have got a job in the White House in the first place. I really hope he's not abusing his current girlfriend Hope Hicks or any woman for that matter. But in terms of influence in the White House, I would rate him a 1 or 2, not the 8 or 9 like the media is covering this.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:11 PM   #8610
digamma
Torchbearer

I mean apparently the one with the most influence is the last one in the room with El Trumpo, so I'm sure at times he's an 8 or 9.

Seriously, you're underselling the role a bit, maybe a lot. It controls paper flow to the President and is usually someone who is an insider on the President's team. People like John Podesta, David Gergen and Harriet Miers have held the job in previous administrations before taking on different roles.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:23 PM   #8611
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

He worked on the SOTU and recently was working on trade policy. He handled all the documents that go to the President, and he was unable to get a security clearance.

But more than him, the scandal is that the WH knew about this for months and did nothing.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:40 PM   #8612
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
But in terms of influence in the White House, I would rate him a 1 or 2, not the 8 or 9 like the media is covering this.
"Guy who works in White House accused of beating spouses" might be a 1 or 2 story. You could make that case.

"Everyone in the White House has known about the accusations forever and nobody seemed to think it was a problem" is the 8 or 9 story.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:02 AM   #8613
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

But more than him, the scandal is that the WH knew about this for months and did nothing.

Good point.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:15 AM   #8614
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Apparently, dozens of WH staff are unable to get a permanent security clearance.

But that's nowhere near as bad as a private email server.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:07 AM   #8615
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Apparently, dozens of WH staff are unable to get a permanent security clearance.

But that's nowhere near as bad as a private email server.

There are also WH staff that would have had their interim suspended anywhere else in the federal government. Zero chance Kushner is still employed at any other job that required a clearance.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:23 AM   #8616
BBT
H.S. Freshman Team

Outside of Kelly and Mattis, most of Trump’s sphere of influence, to include Trump, wouldn’t normally have a security clearance. Too much foreign interaction (not even talking about the possible Russian scandal) and too much potential for financial compromise based off most of their histories.
BBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:41 AM   #8617
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

So is this a fair description of the two parties:

Democrats: Wanted tax money spent on the drug crisis, disaster relief and child heath services.

Republicans: Wanted tax money spent on the military industrial complex?

This seems so crazy that it suggests that really the military spending is more about buying votes than doing good. The democrat issues, on average, help people who vote at a much lower rate than pro military people. Am I missing something?
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:52 AM   #8618
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
So is this a fair description of the two parties:

Democrats: Wanted tax money spent on the drug crisis, disaster relief and child heath services, and military industrial complex.

Republicans: Wanted tax money spent on the military industrial complex?

This seems so crazy that it suggests that really the military spending is more about buying votes than doing good. The democrat issues, on average, help people who vote at a much lower rate than pro military people. Am I missing something?

More accurate.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:08 PM   #8619
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The military parade is obviously going to be used to frame how unpatriotic libtards are and how they hate the troops. I'm sure it'll be scheduled close to the election so all of the proud conservatives are reminded about how the commie anti American pieces of shit mock the troops and don't want a display of just how great our military is!

(Don't really like Rand Paul but at least he was suggesting that we should bring home everyone from Afghanistan and then have the totally unnecessary parade)

Last edited by stevew : 02-09-2018 at 01:10 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:16 PM   #8620
mckerney
Coordinator

Old 02-09-2018, 01:35 PM   #8621
Jas_lov
College Starter

Though if Paul cared about the debt why didn't he demand the tax cuts to be paid for before he voted for it.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:31 PM   #8622
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Wonder what the difference in Rob Porter and Chris Brown are. Hmmmmmm

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:04 PM   #8623
Jas_lov
College Starter

Rachel Brand, No. 3 at DOJ, resigned to take a job at Walmart.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:12 PM   #8624
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Rachel Brand, No. 3 at DOJ, resigned to take a job at Walmart.

I don't blame her - thanks to the tax cut, they're starting new hires at $11/hour!
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:09 PM   #8625
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

You'll be shocked to find out that companies just pocketed the tax cut.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:34 PM   #8626
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Of course they did; the tax cut was only going to spur corporate investment in the edge case of low liquidity and tight lending practices. With interest rates fairly low and record cash holdings, anybody that could make more money investing rather than hoarding had ample opportunity to do so without the cut.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:56 PM   #8627
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Surprise, surprise, Trump says the Schiff memo can't be declassified.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:25 PM   #8628
PilotMan
Head Coach

trump says nyet?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:45 PM   #8629
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

shocking!
Old 02-09-2018, 11:03 PM   #8630
Edward64
Head Coach

If NK is sincere about reconciliation with SK that is great. However, I think they have done a great job in out-maneuvering us and bought themselves more time in perfecting their nuclear capabilities as they continue "dialog" with SK after the breakthrough at the Olympics.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:11 PM   #8631
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

TBF, I think they are asking for some redaction of sensitive stuff. Not an unreasonable request if true.

So yeah, there may be differences of opinion on what is "sensitive" but do think it'll eventually be released (or leaked).
Old 02-09-2018, 11:32 PM   #8632
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
TBF, I think they are asking for some redaction of sensitive stuff. Not an unreasonable request if true.

So yeah, there may be differences of opinion on what is "sensitive" but do think it'll eventually be released (or leaked).

Which would be fine if they did the same with the Nunes memo. However, those concerns were just brushed aside because Trump’s ego cares about one thing...himself. Country be damned.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:16 AM   #8633
BBT
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
If NK is sincere about reconciliation with SK that is great. However, I think they have done a great job in out-maneuvering us and bought themselves more time in perfecting their nuclear capabilities as they continue "dialog" with SK after the breakthrough at the Olympics.

It isn't sincere.

North Korea marched with South Korea after Bush's "axis of evil" speech during the Asian Games in 2002 and sporadic events through 2006. Motive was to draw sympathy and support from those in the South in hoping that they would turn on the Americans in case of an invasion. U.S. popularity in S.K. In 2002 was at around 33% due to those comments, some issues with US contractors running over children, and the Apollo Ohno incident where he took out the Korean skater during the Olympics (Koreans take speed skating very seriously). Eventually, that animosity dissipated as our military helps their economy tremendously.

North is going back to that well to try and avoid any kind of conflict. If they can con the South into believing them, it only makes our situation over there that much tougher.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:45 AM   #8634
Edward64
Head Coach

The NK are doing great in PR (and buying more time).

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/09/asia/...ntl/index.html
Quote:
The South Korean President has been invited to travel to North Korea, following a formal invitation from the country's leader, Kim Jong Un, potentially setting up the first meeting of Korean leaders since 2007.

The invite, presented to South Korean President Moon Jae-in by Kim's younger sister, Kim Yo Jong, was delivered during a historic meeting between North and South Korean officials at Seoul's presidential palace Saturday, presidential spokesman Kim Eui-kyeom said.

Saturday's meeting, the most significant diplomatic encounter between the two sides in more than a decade, could now be surpassed should Moon accept Kim's invitation to visit Pyongyang later this year.

Moon responded to the invitation by suggesting the two countries "should accomplish this by creating the right conditions," adding that talks between North Korea and the United States were also needed, and requested that North Korea be more active in talking with the US, according to Kim Eui-kyeom.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:51 AM   #8635
BBT
H.S. Freshman Team

I actually agree with the stance Pence took during the opening ceremonies. Until North Korea begins showing that they are making changes, we shouldn’t believe anything they say. The hard-line stance this administration is taking is a good one...just need Trump to stop tweeting about it.

Again, as much as I don’t like Pence, he would be worlds better as president than what we have now.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:00 PM   #8636
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Pence is basically Bush2, pretty bad, but not a threat to the republic.

My problem with the handling of N. Korea is the unclear goals of the admin. We should be working to make sure no war or mass casualty attack takes place. That's the only victory for us. If we're measuring victory on their submission, we're much more likely to end up in a war. All their bluster can't hurt us. Strengthen alliances, deescalate the rhetoric and make sure Seoul isn't leveled.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:34 PM   #8637
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBT View Post
I actually agree with the stance Pence took during the opening ceremonies. Until North Korea begins showing that they are making changes, we shouldn’t believe anything they say. The hard-line stance this administration is taking is a good one...just need Trump to stop tweeting about it.

I didn't like how disrespectful he was refusing to stand, especially when protests have no place in sports.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:14 PM   #8638
Kodos
Resident Alien

Old 02-10-2018, 05:46 PM   #8639
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I agree with the harder line stance with NK. Especially when we're talking nukes in play.

Didn't agree with the sitting. The athletes have nothing to do with the regime and if anything, we should be showing our support for the citizens in hope they'll uprise against their repressive regime.

The US has done a great job in the past couple decades in supporting the ousting of dictators and bringing in democracy. And they've done it by supporting the people in the country and bashing the leadership.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:05 AM   #8640
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Excellent work.

Quote:
The U.S. will post a larger budget deficit this year and could see a “spike” in interest rates as a result, but lower deficits are possible over time based on sustained economic growth from Donald Trump’s tax cuts, said Budget Director Mick Mulvaney.

Mulvaney spoke on “Fox News Sunday,” a day before the White House is expected to release 2019 spending proposals -- and after weeks in which financial markets have been spooked by prospects for rising inflation tied to higher deficits and lower taxes.

“This is not a fiscal stimulus; it’s not a sugar high,” Mulvaney said on of the president’s economic program, including the $1.5 trillion tax cut passed in late 2017.

“If we can keep the economy humming and generate more money for you and me and for everybody else, then government takes in more money and that’s how we hope to be able to keep the debt under control,” Mulvaney said.

In a separate interview on CBS News’s “Face the Nation,” Mulvaney said rising budget deficits are “a very dangerous idea, but it’s the world we live in.”

edit: Trump's budget is forecasting a deficit of 450 billion in 2027. Another way to look at that, in 2027, under rosy assumptions, the deficit will be what it was in 2015.

Last edited by JPhillips : 02-12-2018 at 11:34 AM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:55 AM   #8641
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Excellent work.

edit: Trump's budget is forecasting a deficit of 450 billion in 2027. Another way to look at that, in 2027, under rosy assumptions, the deficit will be what it was in 2015.

In all fairness, with hyperinflation that will be only $2500 in real terms

Last edited by AlexB : 02-12-2018 at 11:55 AM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #8642
Thomkal
Head Coach

Trump Budget Would Privatize the International Space Station, Make NASA a ‘Customer’
Old 02-12-2018, 01:57 PM   #8643
Thomkal
Head Coach

Donald Trump Jr.'s wife hospitalized after opening envelope with white powder | Fox News
Old 02-12-2018, 11:06 PM   #8645
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

U.S. Kills Russians in Syria Strikes, Reports Say
Old 02-13-2018, 01:46 PM   #8646
Thomkal
Head Coach

Beginning of the end for Israel's Netanyahu?

Netanyahu Should Be Charged With Bribery and Fraud, Israeli Police Say - The New York Times
Old 02-13-2018, 03:46 PM   #8647
Jas_lov
College Starter

I tthink John Kelly should resign for botching this Rob Porter situation. Eric will then be named Chief of Staff.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:46 PM   #8648
mckerney
Coordinator

Old 02-13-2018, 04:07 PM   #8649
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
I tthink John Kelly should resign for botching this Rob Porter situation. Eric will then be named Chief of Staff.

Maybe we could explore a merger of the Trump organization with the US government and just pay our taxes directly to the house. Would go a long way in feeding Don Jr.'s five kids.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:13 PM   #8650
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I hear you can get an extra 10% on your tax refund if you get it in Trump gift certificates.