Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-15-2023, 08:08 AM   #8551
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

So this ends one of three ways.

1 The government loses. No way they appeal and drag this out.

2 The government wins and Biden appeals to SCOTUS. SCOTUS says the law is unconstitutional. Biden goes free.

3 The government wins and Biden appeals to SCOTUS. SCOTUS says the law is constitutional. Biden goes to jail, but the door is open for stricter gun possession laws.

What would conservatives consider a win?
Old 09-15-2023, 08:14 AM   #8552
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

How about

4 The government wins and Biden appeals to SCOTUS. SCOTUS turns down appeal so therefore congress can't use a potential ruling one way or another.

?
Old 09-15-2023, 08:16 AM   #8553
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

You forgot Option #4: The GOP wins POTUS and the Senate in 2024 and Hunter Biden is hung on the South Lawn after a show trial involving January 6th insurgents as the jurists.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 08:24 AM   #8554
Edward64
Head Coach

There are 3 charges, 2 for lying and 1 for gun possession.

I can see gun possession as a toss up, but I'd think the lying will stick. But not much will come of it, maybe a fine and a slap on the wrist

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-15-2023 at 08:24 AM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 09:11 AM   #8555
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
There are 3 charges, 2 for lying and 1 for gun possession.

I can see gun possession as a toss up, but I'd think the lying will stick. But not much will come of it, maybe a fine and a slap on the wrist
Which will just further anger the MAGA folks, because they will see any reasonable sentence as him getting off easy.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 09:23 AM   #8556
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

What's funny is that Democrats don't care about Hunter Biden but are fine with him being punished if he broke the law.

It is the GOP who wants him to get off easy so they can complain about him getting off easy.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 09:41 AM   #8557
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
What's funny is that Democrats don't care about Hunter Biden but are fine with him being punished if he broke the law.

While I do feel this way, I also feel that we're spending an inordinate amount of resources on this case. Like, let's say Garland has appointed a special investigator into Hunter Biden because he may have peddled influence in return for $500K. Fine. Where's the special investigator into Jared & Ivanka for peddling influence for what was it, several billion dollars from Saudi Arabia?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 10:00 AM   #8558
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
While I do feel this way, I also feel that we're spending an inordinate amount of resources on this case. Like, let's say Garland has appointed a special investigator into Hunter Biden because he may have peddled influence in return for $500K. Fine. Where's the special investigator into Jared & Ivanka for peddling influence for what was it, several billion dollars from Saudi Arabia?

That's ok because it is capitalism and they are all tremendously successful business people without the office of the presidency. And they are just amazing people who are really just taking losses for the benefit of the country. Hunter is a druggie freeloader who would be in a meth clinic without his dad, right?
Old 09-15-2023, 10:01 AM   #8559
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
How about

4 The government wins and Biden appeals to SCOTUS. SCOTUS turns down appeal so therefore congress can't use a potential ruling one way or another.

?

But that would functionally let the ruling that the laws are constitutional stand. Not as strong as a SCOTUS affirmation, but it would definitely be used as support for stricter possession laws.
Old 09-15-2023, 10:01 AM   #8560
Kodos
Resident Alien

Maybe the Hunter Biden stuff can convince Joe that he doesn't need this aggravation anymore and not run again.
Old 09-15-2023, 10:01 AM   #8561
GrantDawg

When do we start worrying exactly?
Old 09-15-2023, 10:21 AM   #8562
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Corey Lewandowski is playing sexual Pokemon with high-profile Republican women. Now Kristi Noem is being accused of having an affair with him.
Old 09-15-2023, 06:10 PM   #8563
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

It is the GOP who wants him to get off easy so they can complain about him getting off easy.

That's where the disconnect is. Trump supporters don't understand that people really don't give a shit about Biden. He's just a guy they voted for. And they especially don't care what happens to his failkid. They just assume that since they have a cult-like following for Trump, everyone must do the same for the person they vote for.

It's also why the "groomer" stuff never really took off. They've always had a weird sexualization of children in their culture. So they view everything through that lens. Other people don't sexualize children so they don't see a teacher with purple hair as "grooming". Just a teacher with purple hair.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 08:31 PM   #8564
GrantDawg

It is right up there with the idea all liberals watch CNN. They believe because they are connected to Fox News 24-7, liberals watch CNN and are loyal to it. No one watches CNN. The ratings prove it.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2023, 09:53 AM   #8565
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
When do we start worrying exactly?

Guessing, without reading, that "not macho enough" is implicitly one of the main reasons.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 10:18 AM   #8566
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Guessing, without reading, that "not macho enough" is implicitly one of the main reasons.

No. Valid concerns about the economy and how bad it has been for the lower income bracket. There are also been a concerted effort from Republicans to target low propensity minority voters to discourage them from voting.
Old 09-16-2023, 01:36 PM   #8567
bronconick
College Starter

Texas Republicans remember Reagan's 11th Commandment and acquit Paxton on all 16 impeachment charges
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 06:46 PM   #8568
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Republicans have been successful about eliminating things such as the enhanced child tax credit without nearly the fight the dems should have put up. Not only can republicans end policies like those that impact so many lower income and minorities but they also are really good about pinning that kind of stuff on dems. Blue is constantly playing checkers while red is playing chess.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 06:50 PM   #8569
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Republicans have been successful about eliminating things such as the enhanced child tax credit without nearly the fight the dems should have put up. Not only can republicans end policies like those that impact so many lower income and minorities but they also are really good about pinning that kind of stuff on dems. Blue is constantly playing checkers while red is playing chess.
That's exactly what I was telling my wife. The GOP removed the ETC, but to the poor it just feels like a broken promise from the president. And again, the fear isn't so much they vote for Trump. It is that they just feel no reason to vote at all. The same is true with the youth vote.
Old 09-17-2023, 02:22 PM   #8570
Edward64
Head Coach

The interview with Miley said balloon was not spying and did transmit anything home etc. but doesn't really provide info on how they know this.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-biz...s-spy-balloon/
Quote:
After the Navy raised the wreckage from the bottom of the Atlantic, technical experts discovered the balloon's sensors had never been activated while over the Continental United States.

I really would like to know how they know. I assume there wasn't a physical on/off switch that was turned off. Did they picked up with HD/SSD and found nothing in the caches etc.?

Quote:
So, Martin asked, "Bottom line, it was a spy balloon, but it wasn't spying?"

Milley replied, "I would say it was a spy balloon that we know with high degree of certainty got no intelligence, and didn't transmit any intelligence back to China."

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-17-2023 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-18-2023, 07:43 AM   #8571
Edward64
Head Coach

Don't know how I feel about the prisoner swap & releasing $6B in Iranian funds.

Very likely those Americans wouldn't have been imprisoned if not for the political stuff between US & Iran. And the $6B is really Iranian money anyway that we froze.

So, in general seems okay to me. But the article also had below statement which (once again) seems purposely vague. I'd like to know who the 5 Iranians are, were they -- college students/businessmen caught trying to spy, murdered someone, or were they captured related to terrorism etc.

Iran prisoner release: Five detained Americans expected to be freed | CNN Politics
Quote:
The agreement, which has already prompted criticism from Republicans, also involves the release of five Iranians in US custody.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-18-2023 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-18-2023, 09:05 AM   #8572
Thomkal
Head Coach

From what I read we are going to monitor the account, which is in Qatar to make sure the money is used for humanitarian purposes not weapons or terrorism. Not sure how they can track that once Iran takes the money out, but getting 5 Americans back home for mostly likely the only crime was being citizens of the US has to feel like a win overall to me.
Old 09-18-2023, 09:37 AM   #8573
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
From what I read we are going to monitor the account, which is in Qatar to make sure the money is used for humanitarian purposes not weapons or terrorism. Not sure how they can track that once Iran takes the money out, but getting 5 Americans back home for mostly likely the only crime was being citizens of the US has to feel like a win overall to me.

Yeah, fat chance of the money only being spent on humanitarian purposes.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/i...r-e-rcna104475
Old 09-18-2023, 02:23 PM   #8574
Edward64
Head Coach

Sorry about her diagnosis. She's a great example of taking stock of her personal priorities and doing what's really important regardless of the political implications. She's given plenty of notice so it is what it is for 2024. Wish her well.

Quote:
Rep. Jennifer Wexton announced Monday she won’t vie for a fourth term in the House of Representatives after being diagnosed with a rare neurological disorder.

Wexton (D-Va.) announced in April that she had been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease, but intended to keep serving in Congress.

On Monday, however, the 55-year-old revealed that doctors had determined she actually suffers from the more serious progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP), which she called “a kind of ‘Parkinson’s on steroids.'”

“I’m heartbroken to have to give up something I have loved after so many years of serving my community,” Wexton said in a statement.

“I have made the decision not to seek re-election once my term is complete and instead spend my valued time with [husband] Andrew, our boys, and my friends and loved ones.”
:
But PSP is said to worsen more rapidly than Parkinson’s and fewer treatment options are available. On average, PSP patients tend to survive between six and nine years, per the Cleveland Clinic.

Old 09-18-2023, 02:55 PM   #8575
Thomkal
Head Coach

My dad died from this several years ago and it was first being diagnosed as "just" Parkinson's Disease. It was not pleasant to watch at the end and my heart goes out to her and her family.
Old 09-18-2023, 03:07 PM   #8576
Edward64
Head Coach

Hey sorry for your loss.

I didn't mean to bring back any bad memories for you.
Old 09-18-2023, 03:07 PM   #8577
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
My dad died from this several years ago and it was first being diagnosed as "just" Parkinson's Disease. It was not pleasant to watch at the end and my heart goes out to her and her family.
I'm sorry to hear that Thomkal. Degenerative diseases like that can be rough to watch someone go through.
Old 09-18-2023, 03:14 PM   #8578
Thomkal
Head Coach

Thanks guys, no worries, Just glad she is doing the right thing and not try to hold on to her seat and spend time with her family while still relatively healthy
Old 09-18-2023, 06:54 PM   #8579
Silver Owl
High School JV

I was diagnosed with a degenerative neurological disease 7 years ago. The progression from then to now is tough to go through.
Silver Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 07:35 PM   #8580
GrantDawg

That sucks Silver Owl. Sorry you having to go through that.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2023, 07:38 PM   #8581
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Owl View Post
I was diagnosed with a degenerative neurological disease 7 years ago. The progression from then to now is tough to go through.

{{{hugs}}}
Old 09-18-2023, 07:40 PM   #8582
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Owl View Post

I know I can't appreciate what you are going through but wish you the best.
Old 09-18-2023, 08:37 PM   #8583
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Sorry to hear SO. I hope you've got enough support.
Old 09-18-2023, 09:56 PM   #8584
Kodos
Resident Alien

I’m sorry to hear that, Silver Owl. I hope you have loved ones who are helping you.
Old 09-19-2023, 02:57 PM   #8585
Silver Owl
High School JV

Thanks guys, I never realized how much being able to keep your balance affected pretty much everything until you don't have any.
Silver Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 08:59 AM   #8586
Thomkal
Head Coach

Rupert Murdoch stepping down at Fox at last. I don't think much will change there given its staying in the family. I also thought that the Dominion lawsuit would finally get them to pull back on their lies on just about everything, but alas no. Maybe the next lawsuit coming up because it doesn't look like they want to settle, but let it all come out in court.
Old 09-21-2023, 09:10 AM   #8587
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I was watching the first part of the Ashley Madison documentary on Hulu last night and there's a clip of Sean Hannity going after the AM founder about what a terrible business he runs and how do you sleep at night and what price do you put on your decency and soul for the profits you make off of ruining marriages and I thought - someone absolutely should be using that clip to hit Fox for their own business model. It was too perfect, fit Fox in every sense.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 09:54 AM   #8588
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Damn Bob Menendez is one corrupt mofo. But SCOTUS has made it nearly impossible to convict on bribery charges, so he might get away with all of this.

Last edited by JPhillips : 09-22-2023 at 09:54 AM.
JPhillips is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 10:47 AM   #8589
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

dola

If the government can prove this Menendez is truly fucked.

Quote:
Among other actions, MENENDEZ provided sensitive U.S. Government information and took other steps that secretly aided the Government of Egypt.
Old 09-22-2023, 10:57 AM   #8590
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yeah hopefully this is the end of his political career unless of course he becomes a Republican
Old 09-22-2023, 11:04 AM   #8591
Edward64
Head Coach

Had a good chuckle at this.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ted-rcna115256
Quote:
“I guess we’ve got a pilot in our house, and he says he got ejected.”

That was the 911 call received in Charleston County, South Carolina, after an F-35B Lightning II fighter jet's pilot ejected Sunday, parachuting into a home's backyard, according to audio released by the county government.

Remined me of this

Old 09-22-2023, 12:25 PM   #8592
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
dola

If the government can prove this Menendez is truly fucked.

Not to mention, they have an incentive to put the screws to him as a pro-active example to effectively neuter Trump and his allies' arguments that the government is biased. That dude picked the wrong decade to get caught.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 12:29 PM   #8593
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

But it will play out in the media that both Dems and Trump are equally corrupt, so who cares?
Old 09-22-2023, 12:31 PM   #8594
Edward64
Head Coach

Nice, I've always wanted gold bars ...

Quote:
When the feds raided Menendez’s Englewood Cliffs home in June 2022, they found “the fruits” of his “corrupt bribery agreement” including a 2019 Mercedes C-Class, at least 13 gold bars, and $566,000 in cash “stuffed in envelopes.”

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-22-2023 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-22-2023, 02:24 PM   #8595
GrantDawg

Quote:
But it will play out in the media that both Dems and Trump are equally corrupt, so who cares?
Watch for his MAGA turn. "They are just persecuting me because they knew I was about to change parties and endorse Trump." There's money in them thar suckers.
Old 09-22-2023, 03:18 PM   #8596
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I mean the Dems put him as head of foreign relations. Not a great look.
Old 09-22-2023, 03:37 PM   #8597
Flasch186
Coordinator

Will they kick him out while the investigation is ongoing or will they follow the GOP playbook and defend him and give him the utmost support while this is going on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 04:06 PM   #8598
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Watch for his MAGA turn. "They are just persecuting me because they knew I was about to change parties and endorse Trump." There's money in them thar suckers.

He's already claiming it's all about anti-Latino discrimination.
Old 09-22-2023, 04:15 PM   #8599
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I mean he's been openly taking bribes for over a decade and they just keep giving him more power. So who knows?
Old 09-25-2023, 05:40 PM   #8600
Edward64
Head Coach

T-6 days.

Always fun. Hear the Senate is trying to come up with a short-term Plan B.

Government shutdown: McCarthy confronts key decisions as Congress hurtles toward shutdown | CNN Politics
Quote:
With six days until the government runs out of money, House Speaker Kevin McCarthy has a choice to make: Does he risk a shutdown to keep his job or does he cross his Republican hardliners by working with Democrats?