Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-13-2016, 12:31 AM   #8451
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Even if Rutgers turned into a dynasty, NY/NJ will always be a pro sports town. You would need to overcome literal generations of people being interested, but not obsessed, with college football in order to become the big thing. That being said, the benefit of the area is that even having a portion of such a large area being fans results in being a pretty big fanbase compared to a lot of areas.

The B1G affiliation helps a lot there. If we didn't get in, stayed in the AAC and made some kind of ridiculous run as a G5 school to the playoff, I don't think that would go as far in sustaining and building a large fanbase. Every Rutgers fan in the NYC area knows plenty of Penn State, Michigan, Wisconsin fans and playing these schools so often will help build up college football here. Again, please note I said "help"...I'm talking incremental in the grand scheme of things.

As for the timing, there's definitely a dedicated core group of fans who are dying for success going back to the 70s. If we popped now, it would be a pretty big thing. Just not "Giants Super Bowl run" like.

FWIW, I think Bishop meant more of a giant based on the fertile recruiting ground than a giant fanbase waiting to explode, akin to an SEC territory, but obviously that goes partially hand in hand.
Mostly, but like you guys are saying, NYC will never be a B1G city like Chicago is but I'd still say the B1G holds the most sway there from a viewing percentage since BE basketball dissolved. There are Michigan bars, and Ohio State bars, and Minnesota bars, and there really aren't those in Boston (ok, Mich and PSU have some pull). There certainly aren't a large percentage of alumni from FSU or Clemson up here in Boston, and even in NYC only Duke really has a decent alumni base from the ACC schools. I also don't even think people from other parts of the country understand that Boston is not only a pro sports town, it's a very, very, fractured fanbase because there are so many private colleges. BU, Northeastern, Harvard, Tufts, etc students are never going to support BC in anything, unlike other parts of the country where the students at smaller schools will at least cheer for Big State in football/basketball. Even less academically rigorous schools like UMass-Lowell and Merrimack compete in Hockey East with BC, in what's the marquee sport for all 3 schools.

Rutgers alone probably wasn't enough to get the B1G on NY cable packages, but combined with those hardcore and vocal fanbases of the other big state schools it was the tipping point. Atlanta will clearly be SEC country, so unless you really want GT's academics, no reason to add them. I'm not sure how DC works, I always got the feeling too many people there looked down on sports. Maryland isn't sexy, but was a fairly obvious add though if things go to 16, and I think the B1G may have gotten a little skittish when Missouri/Colorado were taken off the table as potential options. ND and Texas are clearly their pipe dreams, but now they've always got UConn and maybe UMass* and a play for all of New England as a fallback (or just seeing what happens with the ACC/B12 since one of those conferences will be decimated if the move to 16 happens - UConn/Kansas or UConn/Cuse as a basketball play would make sense.)

* even I doubt it, and don't love the affiliation although an East split with UConn/PSU/Maryland/Rutgers would be the ideal scenario, but I have to assume we're in line ahead of the Dakota's or the SUNY's if every other B1G plan falls through and they NEED a 16th. I think our more likely dream scenario is some merge between the Big 12 & southern ACC schools (a.k.a. FSU/Clemson), where UMass and UConn could come into an ACC as a package deal if the ACC wanted to make an NYC play. For now though we'd just be ecstatic with an AAC invite!
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:38 PM   #8452
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I'm not sure how DC works

How DC works:

Washington Redskins >>>>>>>>>>>> everything else

But from a college standpoint, it's a basketball town. Maryland, Georgetown. John Thompson had a show in the market for years, and Gary Williams is a semi-regular on 980. Talk used to include the ACC and the Big East, but...yeah.

Really though, during football season it's all Redskins, with a sprinkle of Nats and a dash of how much Maryland and Virginia football suck.

Edit: ok, fine - there are probably more VT grads in the DC area than you'd expect. But that only moves the needle so much.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 05-13-2016 at 01:40 PM.
cuervo72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:45 AM   #8453
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So, the ACC is set for the next 20 years. They extended the grant of rights to 20 years, and ESPN will start a ACC network, to start web broadcasting soon, and be a formal channel by 2019.

ACC, ESPN agree to 20-year rights deal that will lead to 2019 launch of ACC Network

So, the only way the ACC gets raided is if they agree to dissolve the league, don't think that's going to happen.. And Notre Dame has joined the ACC in everything but football, and MUST join them if they join a conference. So, looks like things are set on the east coast.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:11 AM   #8454
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
So, the ACC is set for the next 20 years. They extended the grant of rights to 20 years, and ESPN will start a ACC network, to start web broadcasting soon, and be a formal channel by 2019.

ACC, ESPN agree to 20-year rights deal that will lead to 2019 launch of ACC Network

So, the only way the ACC gets raided is if they agree to dissolve the league, don't think that's going to happen.. And Notre Dame has joined the ACC in everything but football, and MUST join them if they join a conference. So, looks like things are set on the east coast.

I think CU stated you can't dissolve the league (at least not without a long protracted and expensive legal battle) because they incorporated...
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:31 AM   #8455
cuervo72
Head Coach

RIP Raycom Sports?
Old 07-19-2016, 09:14 AM   #8456
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
I think CU stated you can't dissolve the league (at least not without a long protracted and expensive legal battle) because they incorporated...

As long as 1 team is still standing the league exists. It takes a consensus, not a majority, to dissolve.

I dont understand why it will take ~3 years to get the network up and running when everyone else did it in 15 months. Unless you believe the theory that they never intend to get it up and running with the current cord cutting trend.

20 years is a long dang time to be anchored to anyone...I hope the contract has look ins.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 07-19-2016 at 09:14 AM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:18 AM   #8457
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Rumor has it the Big 12 vote for expansion is today. My sources from within the BYU program has stated the offer has been extended and accepted pending the vote.

Basically, straw poll = expansion phone calls were made to say this is the offer, would you accept if approved, said yes and they said they would let us know today after the meeting.

It is the Big 12, so I take it all with a grain of salt.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:39 AM   #8458
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Rumor has it the Big 12 vote for expansion is today. My sources from within the BYU program has stated the offer has been extended and accepted pending the vote.

Basically, straw poll = expansion phone calls were made to say this is the offer, would you accept if approved, said yes and they said they would let us know today after the meeting.

It is the Big 12, so I take it all with a grain of salt.

Wouldn't be shocked to see West Virginia start shopping for other options if that's the case. They were already lamenting the travel difficulties and campaigning for places like Memphis and Cinci. They'd be a better B10 fit anyway.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:59 AM   #8459
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Wouldn't be shocked to see West Virginia start shopping for other options if that's the case. They were already lamenting the travel difficulties and campaigning for places like Memphis and Cinci. They'd be a better B10 fit anyway.

The B10 wouldnt touch WVU with a 10 foot pole.
Their academics would preclude them.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:30 PM   #8460
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
The B10 wouldnt touch WVU with a 10 foot pole.
Their academics would preclude them.

My son brought up WV as a potential visit a while ago. I kind of looked at him funny; in the rankings for Aero Eng. programs, the B10 is pretty sell represented. Michigan, Illinois, Purdue, Maryland (in-state). WVU by USNews' calculations is 42nd (T). There's "safety," then there's "if everything possible that could go wrong goes wrong."

Last edited by cuervo72 : 07-19-2016 at 12:31 PM.
cuervo72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:37 PM   #8461
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
My son brought up WV as a potential visit a while ago. I kind of looked at him funny; in the rankings for Aero Eng. programs, the B10 is pretty sell represented. Michigan, Illinois, Purdue, Maryland (in-state). WVU by USNews' calculations is 42nd (T). There's "safety," then there's "if everything possible that could go wrong goes wrong."

Eh, I'd say probably don't worry about his outlier there too much. There were a couple of schools on my son's list that were "umm ... WTF?" too, nothing more than idle curiosity when push came to shove.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:41 PM   #8462
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:

Well, the 2nd school would be UC from what my sources said. Holgerson interviewed today said he is for expansion as is his President.

With the ACC locking stuff down, I don't see much out there for WVU to go too.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:13 PM   #8463
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Eh, I'd say probably don't worry about his outlier there too much. There were a couple of schools on my son's list that were "umm ... WTF?" too, nothing more than idle curiosity when push came to shove.

I'm not really worried, but it was a WTF moment. I think he was probably thinking more proximity and setting, without really accounting for academics. Which was weird given that his #1 for a long time was MIT which was basically the opposite (he's not quite so firm on that now, though were he to get in it would be really tough to turn down).
Old 07-19-2016, 03:22 PM   #8464
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I'll keep going with my evergreen prediction of "we're done with expansion, until these schools eventually break from the NCAA".

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:35 PM   #8465
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

The Big12 HAS to grow.
Has to.

Or they will crumble.

The Championship game is so huge. If they dont announce expansion before the end of this year I expect the CFP committee to announce a new requirement that the final 4 have to win their conference championship game.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:04 PM   #8466
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
The Big12 HAS to grow.
Has to.

Or they will crumble.

The Championship game is so huge. If they dont announce expansion before the end of this year I expect the CFP committee to announce a new requirement that the final 4 have to win their conference championship game.

They have already added a conference championship game.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:05 PM   #8467
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
The Big12 HAS to grow.
Has to.

Or they will crumble.

The expansion isn't as important as the network. The conference will survive at some level for awhile until the big conferences look to go to 16 teams. At that point, Texas decides if they're going to stick it out with the B12. In order for the conference to remain at that point, they'd have to give up their network. If they switch it to a conference network, everyone's happy and you likely have five 16-team conferences. If they don't, the remaining schools scramble to get out and some are going to get left behind, resulting in a significantly watered-down B12 mid-major conference. Honestly, that might not be a bad thing for some of those schools.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:23 PM   #8468
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
The Big12 HAS to grow.
Has to.

Or they will crumble.

Absent the correct championship game stuff, I'm talking about meaningful expansion like what got this thread started in the first place...raiding one conference to bolster another type. "UNC and Virginia to the B1G" type. The stuff that gets all the clicks and leads to people coming up with wild scenarios to get all the clicks.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:37 PM   #8469
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

ah..
yeah we agree there.

I Dont think we will see anyone leave a P5 conference anytime soon.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:39 PM   #8470
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
No expansion announcements for the Big 12 today. They have given the commissioner marching orders to evaluate schools that have expressed interest.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:53 PM   #8471
Buccaneer
Head Coach

News report out of Denver CSU Survives ‘First Cut’ For Big 12 Conference « CBS Denver says the Big 12 has narrowed their choices from 18 down to 6-8, and those making the cut includes Colorado State and Air Force.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:36 PM   #8472
tarcone
Coordinator

Big 12 should flood the West and take Air Force, CSU and BYU. And one West Virginia partner.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:10 PM   #8473
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
News report out of Denver CSU Survives ‘First Cut’ For Big 12 Conference « CBS Denver says the Big 12 has narrowed their choices from 18 down to 6-8, and those making the cut includes Colorado State and Air Force.

@McMurphyESPN: Big 12 cuts expansion list to at least 12: AF, BYU, UCF, Cincinnati, CSU, UConn, UH, Rice, USF, SMU, Temple & Tulane sources told @ESPN

I thought only 17 year old kids conducted themselves in such a douchey, attention-seeking manner. The next time an adult chides a kid for coming out with a top 12 list, just
Remember the big 12.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:56 PM   #8474
sooner333
College Starter

The whole process is pretty embarrassing for the Big 12, IMO. I'm not really sure what the end game is for any of the decision-makers. Of course, decision-makers in this conference doesn't really mean anything. Texas and Oklahoma could be outvoted in expansion, but they are probably the only ones who can control their own Power 5 conference destinies.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:21 AM   #8475
MacroGuru
Coordinator

So this is about one of the only expansion I do get inside information on. Not only from the BYU side, but on the B12 side.

Every piece of information I have received from both sides have been "Remember, this is the B12, they can change their mind at anytime"

But the information I have is as follows

ESPN / FOX are willing to pay out for expansion, but only if BYU was included. ESPN doesn't want to double dip and by bringing BYU into the fold, it frees up a ton of money for the year (This came from my B12 source)

BYU has been told they are #11 and have the votes, again (The LGBT thing threw a wrench in a little, but BYU's response was accepted by the B12...this came from my BYU Source)

As for #12, UT has dug their heels in for UH while OU has dug theirs in for Cinci and it is why we have a stalemate, the facade that is going on right now is all about hiding the behind the scenes battle, and will allow UT to save face with politics if they cave. (B12 Source)

Anyways, it's interesting to hear this, then see the media reports, and hear stuff from media guys that are close to other schools in the B12.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:34 AM   #8476
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
As for #12, UT has dug their heels in for UH while OU has dug theirs in for Cinci and it is why we have a stalemate, the facade that is going on right now is all about hiding the behind the scenes battle, and will allow UT to save face with politics if they cave. (B12 Source)

This should come as a surprise to no one. The rest of the B12 outside of Texas is all on board with OU (and has been since the other teams left) about making sure future schools do not come from within the state of Texas. The rest of the schools see that as just one more vote that Texas can control.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:56 PM   #8477
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interesting. This is pretty timely given my previous comment. Looks like OU may walk instead of bothering to fight.

Report: Nebraska wants to rejoin Big 12 | Yardbarker.com
Old 10-06-2016, 01:04 PM   #8478
Kodos
Resident Alien

No way Nebraska is leaving the Big Ten.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:05 PM   #8479
tarcone
Coordinator

I read that. I doubt it is serious. Why would Nebby rejoin when they left because of Texas. They make more money in the B1G. And they can blam the B1G causing a lack of prestige building, when it is really crappy football that is doing it.

But I would trade Nebby for Oklahoma.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:25 PM   #8480
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

So the Big 12 is going to die now, isn't it?

murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:21 PM   #8481
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

hahahha. The big 12-4+2+0 just writes its own jokes. What a shit show
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:41 PM   #8482
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

That is an astonishingly stupid decision.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:53 PM   #8483
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
That is an astonishingly stupid decision.
I think it's pretty clear that Texas and Oklahoma don't want to be locked-in to a long-term relationship, and forgoing expansion right now is akin to a player declining an extension so he can test free-agency. With all due respect to the schools being mentioned, it's unlikely that the options for the Big-12 would be any less appealing down the road.

This allows Oklahoma to play footsie with the SEC and Texas to play the Big Ten and Pac-12 against each other for the best deal they can get.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:12 PM   #8484
cartman
Death Herald

I heard some rumblings that ESPN and/or Fox were looking to get the conference to re-work and extend the TV deals to better support expansion. Maybe that is why they are emphasizing the "not at this time" language, instead of a blanket rejection.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:18 PM   #8485
bronconick
College Starter

Steven Godfrey
‏@38Godfrey
You know, it’s kind of funny – the Big 12 was pinned down by a room full of media on Baylor questions, yelled "expansion" and we chased it.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:25 PM   #8486
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
So the Big 12 is going to die now, isn't it?

Absolute hot mess. You can't make this shit up.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:39 PM   #8487
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

If Texas and Oklahoma bail, does the Big 12 pick up replacement teams and retain its status as a power 5 conference, or does either the AAC or Mountain West replace it?
Old 10-17-2016, 10:48 PM   #8488
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If Texas and Oklahoma bail, does the Big 12 pick up replacement teams and retain its status as a power 5 conference, or does either the AAC or Mountain West replace it?

I'm thinking it maybe ends up a power 4 in that scenario.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:09 AM   #8489
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Power 4 with each of the 4 moving to 16 teams. It's always been the end game scenario since teams moved a few years ago. This sets up the TV scenario that Broyles dreamed of when Arkansas was first talking about moving to the SEC(the major 4 station back then). ABC/ESPN gets one conference, CBS another, NBC one and Fox/FS1 get the other. The rest of the conferences get divided up with either teams being bid on individually or used to fill Sat morning spots.

Last edited by murrayyyyy : 10-18-2016 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:53 AM   #8490
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Power 4 with each of the 4 moving to 16 teams. It's always been the end game scenario since teams moved a few years ago. This sets up the TV scenario that Broyles dreamed of when Arkansas was first talking about moving to the SEC(the major 4 station back then). ABC/ESPN gets one conference, CBS another, NBC one and Fox/FS1 get the other. The rest of the conferences get divided up with either teams being bid on individually or used to fill Sat morning spots.

It continues to be the most likely scenario and has been for a few years now. The more we move towards it, the more your going to see some of the smaller teams in the B12 scramble for other conferences to avoid being one of the odd-men-out. I wouldn't be shocked at all if a couple schools like KU, ISU, OSU, KSU end up scrambling and that's what triggers OU or UT to make a move. More and more, I'm not sure the power players are going to be the one that triggers the avalanche otherwise known as the B12's death.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #8491
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
It continues to be the most likely scenario and has been for a few years now. The more we move towards it, the more your going to see some of the smaller teams in the B12 scramble for other conferences to avoid being one of the odd-men-out. I wouldn't be shocked at all if a couple schools like KU, ISU, OSU, KSU end up scrambling and that's what triggers OU or UT to make a move. More and more, I'm not sure the power players are going to be the one that triggers the avalanche otherwise known as the B12's death.

I think the opposite. OU holds all the cards right now. Football makes money and OU is the only team with a stadium over 61k minus Texas. If OU runs to another conference then where do the others go? MAC? MW? Too far away from the ACC and PAC. Not sure the Big 10 wants any of them (but who knows, they took Rutgers and Maryland). Supposedly Texas was the first to leave the meeting yesterday before anyone else left so it's no OU's turn to either find a new home or be a lap dog to Texas still.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:23 AM   #8492
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I think the opposite. OU holds all the cards right now. Football makes money and OU is the only team with a stadium over 61k minus Texas. If OU runs to another conference then where do the others go? MAC? MW? Too far away from the ACC and PAC. Not sure the Big 10 wants any of them (but who knows, they took Rutgers and Maryland). Supposedly Texas was the first to leave the meeting yesterday before anyone else left so it's no OU's turn to either find a new home or be a lap dog to Texas still.

Big Ten would look at ISU (creates a great rivalry in their footprint). KU would land somewhere despite their HS football program. KSU is in a pinch. OSU needs some help. WVU could do ACC. Who knows what the Texas schools would do.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:39 AM   #8493
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

ACC had no interest in West Virginia previously. That may have changed now with Louisville in the conference, but it is worth noting.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:39 AM   #8494
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Possibly but who takes ISU/KSU with OU and UT still at play.

The ACC is looking to add 1 maybe 2. (Depending on the Notre Dame fallout. Which I still think belongs in the B1G but appears contractually destined for the ACC)
B1G and SEC both looking for 2
Pac 12 need 4

From the Big 12 you have
Baylor - Fairly toxic currently but once this "blows over" moderately desirable
Iowa State - Fledgling Interest
Kansas State - See Iowa State
Kansas - Basketball makes them desirable
Oklahoma - Major Want for all
OSU - Probably tops along with Iowa among Tier 2 (after OU/UT)
UT - The unprohibited A player here
TCU - A lot like Baylor. Huge Regional attraction. Close to Big TV markets. $$$
Texas Tech - More desireable than ISU or KSU but below everyone else
WVU - Wildcard. Strong following. Only D1 player in entire state. Interest spills into PA and OH. Academics hurt them. Current acceptance of Partial Qualifiers limits the ACC and B1G interest.

So who moves. I'd suggest that Houston, USF, UCF, Memphis and Cincinnati all hold higher appeal to some conferences than ISU/KSU.

For the PAC 12 specifically - Is Boise More attractive?

The ACC is convinced they will land Notre Dame in the next shuffle. But regardless it is safe to say that ND will be part of the 4 x 16 meaning at a minimum there is 1 current P5 school thats getting left out. Which makes perfect sense why all of the C and below players in the Big 12 dont want expansion. Id disolution is inevitable you dont have to be attractive if you are KSU, you just have to be better than ISU. If you add 4 teams to the mix, then those are 4 additional competitors for that sacred last spot. With the assumption being that in that scenario the former P5s would be picked up before a GO5 by the other Big 4...Im not sure that is a good asumption but it is the assumption I presume.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:41 AM   #8495
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
ACC had no interest in West Virginia previously. That may have changed now with Louisville in the conference, but it is worth noting.

Correct.
And also, there are folks in Greensboro who think Texas was a strong ACC possibility a few years ago. I dont buy it mind you. But I've been told by 2 different ACC ADs that Swofford had Texas "ready to sign if Notre Dame signed full membership"
Old 10-18-2016, 09:53 AM   #8496
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Lets not forget about Texas and that lovely LHN. Will they give that cash cow up to join another conference? Will other conferences allow them to have their own network? Will E!SPN finally pull the plug on that money drain? Stay tuned! Riveting B12-4+2+0 drama!!
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:56 AM   #8497
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Lets not forget about Texas and that lovely LHN. Will they give that cash cow up to join another conference? Will other conferences allow them to have their own network? Will E!SPN finally pull the plug on that money drain? Stay tuned! Riveting B12-4+2+0 drama!!

No conference will allow them to have their own network. Out of all the uncertainty, that's a pretty big certainty. ESPN would love for UT to move just so they can get out of that mess.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:03 AM   #8498
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Possibly but who takes ISU/KSU with OU and UT still at play.

The ACC is looking to add 1 maybe 2. (Depending on the Notre Dame fallout. Which I still think belongs in the B1G but appears contractually destined for the ACC)
B1G and SEC both looking for 2
Pac 12 need 4

From the Big 12 you have
Baylor - Fairly toxic currently but once this "blows over" moderately desirable
Iowa State - Fledgling Interest
Kansas State - See Iowa State
Kansas - Basketball makes them desirable
Oklahoma - Major Want for all
OSU - Probably tops along with Iowa among Tier 2 (after OU/UT)
UT - The unprohibited A player here
TCU - A lot like Baylor. Huge Regional attraction. Close to Big TV markets. $$$
Texas Tech - More desireable than ISU or KSU but below everyone else
WVU - Wildcard. Strong following. Only D1 player in entire state. Interest spills into PA and OH. Academics hurt them. Current acceptance of Partial Qualifiers limits the ACC and B1G interest.

So who moves. I'd suggest that Houston, USF, UCF, Memphis and Cincinnati all hold higher appeal to some conferences than ISU/KSU.

The ACC is convinced they will land Notre Dame in the next shuffle. But regardless it is safe to say that ND will be part of the 4 x 16 meaning at a minimum there is 1 current P5 school thats getting left out. Which makes perfect sense why all of the C and below players in the Big 12 dont want expansion. Id disolution is inevitable you dont have to be attractive if you are KSU, you just have to be better than ISU. If you add 4 teams to the mix, then those are 4 additional competitors for that sacred last spot. With the assumption being that in that scenario the former P5s would be picked up before a GO5 by the other Big 4...Im not sure that is a good asumption but it is the assumption I presume.

Does UConn have an appeal to the ACC now, to pair them with Syracuse and Boston College potentially? If Notre Dame were to bail on their ACC agreement somehow, I would think UConn plus either WVU or Cincinnati would make the most sense.

Let's say something like this:

ACC: UConn, Cincinnati
SEC: Oklahoma, West Virginia
B1G: Notre Dame, Texas
Pac-12: TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Kansas

Does Houston hold more appeal than TCU or Baylor? Is UConn too much of a stretch in that scenario? I feel like they could have a Kansas type appeal for basketball, and they do have a decent football stadium.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:20 AM   #8499
bronconick
College Starter

The football schools screamed to high heaven about UConn over Louisville and if UConn had won that vote, said football schools would have put feelers out to the Big XII and what not. I don't see UConn being admitted anytime soon.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:44 AM   #8500
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
No. As much as the money is driving things now, the Pac-12 still has a mindset similar to the B1G that they are not just an athletics conference but a union of similar universities, and they maintain a high standard - the member schools must all be significant research universities.

I don't think the Broncos have enough TV viewership pull to get past their academic limitations.

The big prize for the Pac-12 would be Texas, but (obviously) the big sticking point would be TV revenue and what to do with the Longhorn Network. How to structure a mega-conference, who plays who and how often and which other schools come along would be the other main issues.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote