Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-14-2014, 01:42 PM   #801
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Great read of how the center English football has been moving Southward (and towards London), especially since the 1980s:

The Long Migration Of English Football | FiveThirtyEight
Old 11-14-2014, 05:32 PM   #802
miami_fan
Coordinator

Go Minnows!!!!!!

The Faroe Islands have beaten former European champions Greece in Athens.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:14 PM   #803
whomario
Pro Starter

Not even all that undeserved,decently even game from what i saw with the faroese hitting woodwork twice. Overall they have developed the most cultured play among the true minnows.
San marino also with a draw against estonia after 61 losses and Liechtenstein an away win at moldowa

Heck, gibraltar almost scored against Germany and only lost 4-0.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:47 PM   #804
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Germany warns Uefa may quit Fifa if World Cup report not published | Football | The Guardian
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:56 AM   #805
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
And in the continuing saga of tiny team successes, San Marino got their first point ever in Euro qualifying. They had been beaten 60 straight times, but tied Estonia 0-0.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:07 AM   #806
Easy Mac

Has Latvia even had what could be considered possession in this game?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 01:01 PM   #807
bhlloy
Coordinator

Brilliant defensive performance by Wales... I'm not going to start dreaming until another 4 or 5 points but at least for once we didn't fold under pressure.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:55 PM   #808
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I can't believe it:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/...l#skip-target1

Quote:
Planning is quietly underway for construction of a soccer stadium in Boston, one that would bring the resurgent New England Revolution closer to their urban fan base, according to people familiar with the Kraft family’s search for a site.

Among the sites under consideration is a strip of city-owned land off Interstate 93 on Frontage Road, where Boston has a large yard for towed cars and public works. The South Boston property offers easy access from major highways and is near the MBTA’s Red Line as well as rail lines at nearby South Station.

Numerous sources said the Kraft family has been meeting with state and city officials to discuss the stadium and possible locations over the past several months, with the team focusing on Frontage Road.

Apparently this plan is actually for reals (the city has verified these talks are serious).
Old 11-18-2014, 01:57 PM   #809
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I can't believe it:

Krafts exploring soccer stadium in Boston - Business - The Boston Globe

Apparently this plan is actually for reals (the city has verified these talks are serious).

I'll believe it when they actually break ground. But if they do I think they'll have won me back as a season ticket holder.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:01 PM   #810
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Did the USMNT just lose its friendly to Ireland 4-1?! WTF?
Old 11-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #811
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Good thing Bill Hamid isn't the #1 goalie.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:12 PM   #812
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Did the USMNT just lose its friendly to Ireland 4-1?! WTF?

Old 11-18-2014, 04:15 PM   #813
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

That's 4 straight losses, IIRC (and this one was horrible). What are you doing, Klinsi? The strategy in these matches can't necessarily show much (aside from Rubin being pretty decent), can it?
Old 11-18-2014, 10:54 PM   #814
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I can't believe it:

Krafts exploring soccer stadium in Boston - Business - The Boston Globe

That location makes a lot of sense. The city has been developing the Seaport district for both residential and nightlife purposes, but is running into a big problem with (lack of) parking. A rarely used 20k ish stadium whose parking lot could be used for overflow on non-gameday nights would make sense. I do hope the IOC bid falls through soon... An 80k stadium downtown that the Patriots don't play in would be a waste of money and real estate.

(Fwiw, other than politicians egos and every hand needing a piece of new construction action, I've never understood why IOC applications are from one city - why couldn't a Boston/NYC/(Hartford) bid or an NYC/Philly/DC bid work? Either one if those would require very little construction and aren't any more spread out than a few of the recent Olympics.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:24 PM   #815
bhlloy
Coordinator

The impression I get with Klinsmann is he wears out his welcome everywhere he's been as a manager/coach. I don't know if that's fair or not, but his post WC results aren't exactly exciting, even with some experimental teams.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:24 PM   #816
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well, it definitively seems like he isn't getting along with MLS owners - as apparently USMNT folks under Klinsi has been going to MLS youth academy players and telling them it'd be better for them if they went to Europe.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:01 PM   #817
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I hate articles and thinking like this. Were Landon, Clint, Tim Howard the sons of immigrant parents? While they are diverse, are Germany, or Spain, or the Netherlands built on the backs of street kids, or do they just have more kids who are passionate about the sport? Heck, how hilarious is it that Clint Dempsey is the poster boy for this wave of thinking? Yes, he played on dirt fields near his house... But he also played for the top Dallas club team, multiple years of college, and developed in the MLS.

The comparison to basketball is also funny - Klinsmann (and I assume Gulati) seem to imply that the best players grow up playing on the streets, which is only half the story. Yes, players play pickup a lot, but there aren't more than a handful of American NBA players (or really, even D1 players) who didn't also play high-level AAU. Same thing in hockey, or lacrosse, or baseball.

There is no silver bullet "reaching Hispanics" or "getting inner-city players in the system" answer, it's having a large base that receives good coaching but also loves the game enough to play on their own in their spare time. So, sure, I support initiatives that help poorer kids get scholarships to the club teams where almost all college recruiting is done these days, but stop acting like that's going to be the thing that turns the US into a soccer power.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:22 PM   #818
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I hate articles and thinking like this. Were Landon, Clint, Tim Howard the sons of immigrant parents? While they are diverse, are Germany, or Spain, or the Netherlands built on the backs of street kids, or do they just have more kids who are passionate about the sport? Heck, how hilarious is it that Clint Dempsey is the poster boy for this wave of thinking? Yes, he played on dirt fields near his house... But he also played for the top Dallas club team, multiple years of college, and developed in the MLS.

The comparison to basketball is also funny - Klinsmann (and I assume Gulati) seem to imply that the best players grow up playing on the streets, which is only half the story. Yes, players play pickup a lot, but there aren't more than a handful of American NBA players (or really, even D1 players) who didn't also play high-level AAU. Same thing in hockey, or lacrosse, or baseball.

There is no silver bullet "reaching Hispanics" or "getting inner-city players in the system" answer, it's having a large base that receives good coaching but also loves the game enough to play on their own in their spare time. So, sure, I support initiatives that help poorer kids get scholarships to the club teams where almost all college recruiting is done these days, but stop acting like that's going to be the thing that turns the US into a soccer power.

I don't think it's going to be the magic bullet, but I do think it's good to cultivate a larger base of kids that (a) play the game on their own in their spare time for the love of it, and (b) do not have all the creativity and individual ball-skills drummed out of them by poor youth-level coaching that tries to fit every square peg into a round hole.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:25 PM   #819
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

On that note, it'd be great if our MNT coach would value the creative player more than he currently does... *cough* Nguyen
Old 11-19-2014, 11:31 PM   #820
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
On that note, it'd be great if our MNT coach would value the creative player more than he currently does... *cough* Nguyen

Very true.

The MNT has chronically been missing (since like...Reyna...or Holden in his brief flashes) players who are comfortable on the ball in tight spaces and able to make positive plays in those situations.

I do believe that the current emphasis at the youth levels can (at times) be over-focused on teamwork and the development of a "team game" to the detriment of individual skills.

It's why you see things like my niece's club program (she's in 5th grade) who just won the NorCal State Championships for her age group, where they spend a majority of the time at practice working on individual ball skills.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:55 AM   #821
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:

I'm not sure what it's like in other states, but in Ohio, the rich play soccer because they can afford to play the select teams, they can afford to go to the tournaments, they can afford to go to the camps, etc. There does need to be an effort to reach more impoverished areas when kids are young to get them hooked on soccer before other sports take hold. Then, there has to be an effort to make sure money is not a barrier to them playing. I believe other sports simply do a better job at this than soccer does.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:35 AM   #822
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I'm not sure what it's like in other states, but in Ohio, the rich play soccer because they can afford to play the select teams, they can afford to go to the tournaments, they can afford to go to the camps, etc. There does need to be an effort to reach more impoverished areas when kids are young to get them hooked on soccer before other sports take hold. Then, there has to be an effort to make sure money is not a barrier to them playing. I believe other sports simply do a better job at this than soccer does.

I don't think money ever stops anyone playing soccer - its not like a lot of sports where you require a heck of a lot of equipment, a ball and jumpers for goal posts and you have it ...

Equipment doesn't related to skill at all, in fact often playing with poorer equipment and circumstances helps with skill - especially with regards to control using an irregular ball which is more unpredictable helps with fine control etc.

(and the most common issue youngsters have with soccer skills is parents/coaches given them adult sized balls too early)

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 11-20-2014 at 06:36 AM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:19 AM   #823
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
I don't think money ever stops anyone playing soccer - its not like a lot of sports where you require a heck of a lot of equipment, a ball and jumpers for goal posts and you have it ...

Equipment doesn't related to skill at all, in fact often playing with poorer equipment and circumstances helps with skill - especially with regards to control using an irregular ball which is more unpredictable helps with fine control etc.

(and the most common issue youngsters have with soccer skills is parents/coaches given them adult sized balls too early)

The problem here though Marc is that the kids who play with poorer equipement are generally "outside the system" as far as being scouted for higher level youth teams not to mention middle school/college aged.

Everything is setup to funnel kids through the existing system, but the existing system isn't setup to aggressively pursue kids from non-traditional backgrounds.

And the travel for the "club" teams is pretty crazy - keep in mind how big some of the US states are (Texas, CA, etc.). My niece who is what...10...they regularly travel 4+ hours away for tournaments and stay overnight for the weekend. Kids whose families aren't able to afford that are not...welcomed into the system. There may be a limited # on "scholarship" so to speak, but it's not clear they're the best, or that there shouldn't be more.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:20 AM   #824
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Very true.

The MNT has chronically been missing (since like...Reyna...or Holden in his brief flashes) players who are comfortable on the ball in tight spaces and able to make positive plays in those situations.

I do believe that the current emphasis at the youth levels can (at times) be over-focused on teamwork and the development of a "team game" to the detriment of individual skills.

It's why you see things like my niece's club program (she's in 5th grade) who just won the NorCal State Championships for her age group, where they spend a majority of the time at practice working on individual ball skills.

Don't forgot Donovan in that list of creative tight spaces players . Though it is that sort of player that transforms a national team. It's great to play for the "team" and work hard... but the US has had that since 1994. I don't see any focus on creativity or an emphasis on it. You'd think Klinsmann who came in on a platform of attacking attractive soccer (like... Arena's team in 2002 and NOT like Klinsmann's team in 2014) would welcome those players.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #825
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Don't forgot Donovan in that list of creative tight spaces players . Though it is that sort of player that transforms a national team. It's great to play for the "team" and work hard... but the US has had that since 1994. I don't see any focus on creativity or an emphasis on it. You'd think Klinsmann who came in on a platform of attacking attractive soccer (like... Arena's team in 2002 and NOT like Klinsmann's team in 2014) would welcome those players.

I don't know if I'd consider Donovan on that list. He's better out wide, with the ball at his feet running at guys rather than say, playing as a tempo-dictating & creative MC/AMC.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:58 AM   #826
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think you are remembering his late years as opposed to when he was 20-25. I mean he does run at guys even from his AMC position, but was ultra creative in that role. It isn't hyperbole to state that he was the key to the 2002 WC run (in addition to Bruce Arena's coaching).
Old 11-20-2014, 09:59 AM   #827
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think you are remembering his late years as opposed to when he was 20-25. I mean he does run at guys even from his AMC position, but was ultra creative in that role. It isn't hyperbole to state that he was the key to the 2002 WC run (in addition to Bruce Arena's coaching).

Fair enough - I probably am.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:07 AM   #828
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Btw, I'll add I think that was the issue with Klinsmann's use of Bradley. He was trying to have Bradley play the "Donovan" role as the top of the diamond. Obviously in 2014, Donovan wasn't necessarily up for it either - however Bradley really wasn't as he had been used as box to box CM for his entire career.

Though, Klinsy played a very strange 4-4-2 diamond, where the left and right MFs played more out wide that you would usually do so in that formation (but still attempted to have the fullbacks making runs).
Old 11-20-2014, 02:30 PM   #829
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I must have missed this article a month ago.

The Assassination Of Iker Casillas By The Coward Jose Mourinho

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-20-2014 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:47 PM   #830
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Post #752
Old 11-20-2014, 02:52 PM   #831
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Post #752

Haha. To be fair - I didn't say that everyone missed it, just that I must have.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:16 PM   #832
Easy Mac

Furman upsets UAB in the first round of the NCAAs. Now they have by far the farthest travel for round two... Washington.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:59 AM   #833
Grover
Pro Starter

Carroll, Cole and Nolan starting with Jenkinson in midfield.

Allardyce has lost the plot.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #834
kingfc22
Head Coach

And Newcastle now top 4. Guess Pardew is safe for now.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:34 PM   #835
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well, top 5 now that ManU just jumped them. It's just shocking to me. 5 straight league wins. Wow.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:16 AM   #836
MrBug708
Head Coach

Wooo...CP!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:30 PM   #837
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So today's Leg 1 of the MLS Eastern Conference Playoffs was ridiculously entertaining. What a fun back and forth game by NY and NE! Some great goals as well. Unfortunately that appears to be the last MLS game on NBC this year. The rest of the playoffs (INCLUDING the MLS Cup) is on ESPN! Not fun for cord cutters... though at least the MLS Cup is also shown on UniMas (an OTA station).
Old 11-23-2014, 09:27 PM   #838
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
So today's Leg 1 of the MLS Eastern Conference Playoffs was ridiculously entertaining. What a fun back and forth game by NY and NE! Some great goals as well. Unfortunately that appears to be the last MLS game on NBC this year. The rest of the playoffs (INCLUDING the MLS Cup) is on ESPN! Not fun for cord cutters... though at least the MLS Cup is also shown on UniMas (an OTA station).
Up a road goal, no Wright-Phillips, possibly no Henry (has refused to play on turf so far)... Looking good for the Revs.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:17 PM   #839
The Jackal
Coordinator

I'm still pissed at you, Arsenal. I gave it a day, but nope.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:53 PM   #840
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Up a road goal, no Wright-Phillips, possibly no Henry (has refused to play on turf so far)... Looking good for the Revs.

I don't think Henry is going to refuse to play his potential last game ever. No BWP is going to be tough for NY, but what a backup to have in Tim Cahill.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:14 AM   #841
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
I'm still pissed at you, Arsenal. I gave it a day, but nope.

How Arsenal didn't score more than 1 on that Man U backline is beyond me.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:29 AM   #842
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
How Arsenal didn't score more than 1 on that Man U backline is beyond me.

Because they believe passing the ball around the penalty area over and over with small one touch passes is the only acceptable way to score goals.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:10 AM   #843
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

To be fair, they had a number of good chances on goal, only they continually shot it at De Gea.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:51 AM   #844
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
To be fair, they had a number of good chances on goal, only they continually shot it at De Gea.

Yeah, they had some great chances. I'm mostly only pissed at Wilshere for bottling that chance in the first half (hope his injury isn't too serious). The other ones were tougher shots but you'd like to hope that one of those headers or curling efforts could be directed towards the corner of the net.

I miss Koscielny and Ozil.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:39 PM   #845
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Henry makes it official: He will play

New York Red Bulls captain Thierry Henry confirms he will play at Gillette Stadium in playoff second leg | MLSsoccer.com
Old 11-24-2014, 06:22 PM   #846
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Good... No excuses!

It should still be a fun match. Even though match strategy dictates that the Revs should slow it down and pack it in they are not built to play that way.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #847
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And now the advertisers...

Sony Pulls FIFA World Cup Sponsorship - NASDAQ.com

Quote:
TOKYO-- Sony Corp. has decided to end its sponsorship of World Cup soccer amid growing concerns about the transparency of the bidding process for the next two tournaments, a person familiar with the matter said Tuesday.

Sony's contract as one of six "official partners" of FIFA, the soccer governing body, was set to expire at the end of this year. The decision not to pursue a renewal makes Sony the second top-tier sponsor this month, after Emirates Airline, to move to sever ties with FIFA.

Though I guess a cynical view may be that Sony isn't exactly doing well financially so it a good excuse.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:55 AM   #848
Grover
Pro Starter

To me it looks like a rather hollow move when their sponsorship was up at the end of the year anyway.

They could have easily said they weren't renewing because they didn't want to.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:03 PM   #849
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well, deciding to re-up is fairly significant in and of itself.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #850
miami_fan
Coordinator

Is it because of the bidding process or.....

Quote:
One reason for the move, the person familiar with the matter said, is that the company is focusing on cutting costs as it restructures its electronics division, including the smartphone business, which has featured prominently in Sony's World Cup-related marketing.

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote