Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-30-2010, 05:57 AM   #801
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Local news this morning was reporting this story from TMZ:

hxxp://www.tmz.com/2010/07/29/american-idol-kara-dioguardi-judge-jennifer-lopez-steven-tyler-fired/

Basically they are reporting that Kara is out, Ellen announced she is stepping down, the return to a 3 judge panel, and then other speculation on who will replace folks.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:18 AM   #802
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Kara isn't technically fired, I don't think, because her contract expired. At least that's what I read elsewhere.

Randy Jackson is like the cockroaches that survive a nuclear holocaust. How is he not the first to be replaced? I guess being irrelevant does have its advantages...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:26 AM   #803
Danny
Head Coach

My guess is (and this was also told to me by someone I worked with who actually is very close with him and his wife) because he is a very nice guy. He probably hasn't pissed off the people in charge like others have.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:36 AM   #804
Ksyrup

I'm sure he is a nice guy, but nice guys don't drive ratings. I guess since he never was the focal point, he and Seacrest will serve as the bridge to new people who will drive ratings. It's just funny because he really provides no meaningful feedback or purpose on the show, other than a few incoherent buzz words/phrases that have become punchlines for everyone watching and writing about the show.

I guess behind the scenes, he has done some producer work with contestants - maybe they want that relationship to continue?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-30-2010, 06:38 AM   #805
Danny
Head Coach

That's definitely possible. But I actually agree with you, I would prefer an all new set of judges myself.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:01 AM   #806
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

J-Lo and Steven Tyler? Going to be a weird group.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:08 AM   #807
Ksyrup

J-Lo was bland as a mentor a few years back. I assume she takes the place of Paula. Tyler is going to be the only real personality, a hybrid of Simon/Kara I assume. Randy is Randy - his personality is there, but it's not fresh anymore, just a caracicture.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:13 AM   #808
Kodos
Resident Alien

They should get Ricky Martin.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:30 AM   #809
Ksyrup

I really liked the panel they had for Celebrity Duets years ago. David Foster was basically a Simon Cowell asshole, but with real music experience. Little Richard was a flipping loon, always good for an out-of-nowhere, usually inappropriate or WTF comment. Marie Osmond was Paula. It worked. The show kinda sucked, but that was back when they were throwing every possible celebrity-type reality show on the wall and seeing what stuck.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #810
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I really liked the panel they had for Celebrity Duets years ago. David Foster was basically a Simon Cowell asshole, but with real music experience. Little Richard was a flipping loon, always good for an out-of-nowhere, usually inappropriate or WTF comment. Marie Osmond was Paula. It worked. The show kinda sucked, but that was back when they were throwing every possible celebrity-type reality show on the wall and seeing what stuck.

I have to agree David Foster would have been a great Simon replacement. He is critical, but has a really good personality to him.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #811
Ksyrup

And he's been on AI before - I think he played piano once or twice accompanying a contestant or a mentor as I recall.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #812
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

This show is so donedonedone. Ellen has quit. Kara is reported to have been tossed. Jump the shark time. What pointless ridiculous entertainers can we add to the panel? Lady Gaga? Richard Simmons? Paris Hilton? Your mom?
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:22 PM   #813
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
This show is so donedonedone. Ellen has quit. Kara is reported to have been tossed. Jump the shark time. What pointless ridiculous entertainers can we add to the panel? Lady Gaga? Richard Simmons? Paris Hilton? Your mom?

You make it sound like getting rid of Ellen and Kara are bad things

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #814
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Seriously? They're adding ghetto Jenny from the block?
Old 08-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #815
Ksyrup

So Nigel was officially announced to be coming back as an executive producer. He said he would bring back Paula if he could, and he called Randy the show's "barnacle." HA!

Some other comments I pulled from MJ's blog:

• “It’s going to have a face lift, but it’s not going to be fundamental change…As it moves forward, I think it has to be spring cleaned, brought up to date.”"
  • Nigel say that “Idol needs to turn its focus back on the talent and showcase multi-talented performers who can move as well as sing.”
  • Nigel “favors updating the semifinals and possibly Hollywood rounds, and says singers should have bigger production values.”
  • He doesn’t think there will be guest judges and doesn’t like having mentors every week. Nigel is “not a fan of taking young mentors.” He still loves the bad auditions.
  • __________________
    Old 08-06-2010, 12:19 PM   #816
    Ksyrup

A bit more:

Nigel is ready to turn the focus on the contestants, “I can’t wait for the day when we take the spotlight off the bloody judges,” he said.

Here are some ideas Nigel has for tweaking next season’s Idol:
    • A new round after Hollywood week but before America votes in which the remaining contestants are put through further mentoring and training to prepare them to perform.“Say we end up with 50 kids,” says Lythgoe. “I don’t want to give them to America. I think it’s really tough to say to America, ‘Here’s 50 people, who do you like? Vote!’ You’re voting on the song, or what they’re wearing, or because they’ve got a handsome or pretty face. You’re not voting on their talent, because you don’t know it! And why should you? I would love to whittle that down more…to take them through [a refining] process. You don’t want to expose a lack of talent; you want to celebrate the best talent that you’ve got.”
    • Bring in folks from Idol’s new record label, Universal Music Group to mentor the kids ”If we’ve got Universal Music this year, let’s bring in Universal stars, let them mentor, chat, whatever.”
    • Film the kids getting makeovers.
    • Give the kids dance lessons!
    Old 08-20-2010, 07:33 AM   #817
    Ksyrup

American Idol’s reign at the top of the television mountain is coming to an end, according to the people who matter most: those who buy and place advertising.

Media Life surveyed media buyers and found that Simon Cowell’s “exit will hasten the show’s decline in the ratings,” and added that “88 percent chose Cowell” as the judge they’ll miss the most. “Just 11 percent chose [Paula] Abdul, who left last year, and fewer than 2 percent chose [Ellen] DeGeneres, who lasted just one season.”

Over half think that its time at number one will end after this year: “A fifth of respondents, 21 percent, think it will fall out of No. 1 this year, while 36 percent think this coming season will be its last. Another 27 percent give it two more seasons, this upcoming one and the next. Just 11 percent think it would be No. 1 for three more seasons,” according to Media Life.
    Old 08-24-2010, 07:55 AM   #818
    Ksyrup

So I see that the UK version of X-Factor is dealing with a controversy surrounding the use of auto-tune for auditions (to make people sound better, or worse, than they actually were) and also possibly during some live shows. GREEEAAAAT.
    Old 08-24-2010, 08:14 PM   #819
    Mota
    College Benchwarmer

I hate autotune. It's such a crutch that people rely on. It's sad to see that people are even using it on live shows now, can they not actually sing?
    Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2010, 02:45 PM   #820
    Ksyrup

The headlines aren't all to come out of the AI press conference today (and the big news wasn't really news). Here is some info from MJ's blog:

There are some changes coming to Idol. See the highlights below. I also heard that the kids will be able to sing original tunes next season. I wish someone had asked that question!
    • Contestants will get to perform in their own genres every week! No more county singers singing rock and vice versa. Themes will focus on decades rather than genres.
    • There will be big changes that seem very X-Factor like. Jimmy Iovine, from Interscope/UMG will mentor the kids every week. Big producers like Timbaland will be brought in to coach the kids. It’ll be the best of the best.
    • The kids will be pushed to improve. to become, “better and more interesting” than in past seasons, “developing the young artists the way they would anyone who signs with the label.”
    • There will be NO guest mentors. Jimmy Iovine will be the “resident in-house” mentor and will work with the kids every week. They laughed at the idea of Miley Cyrus as mentor
    • It’s possible there will be guest judges if appropriate. Nigel says they would not turn down an Elton John.
    • The middle rounds are going to be re-vamped. Didn’t go into a lot of detail about how.
    • There could be changes regarding the use of instruments. Ken spent some time dissing the guitar players. He felt some of them hide behind their instruments. Nigel says there will be no “shoe gazers”. They want contestants to move.
    • Nigel says after Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood, there were no Idols. “We have got to go back to creating American Idols,” he says.
    • Nobody is there to replace Simon Cowell. Each judge will play themselves, just as Simon did. Every judge will dole out tough critiques when necessary.
    • Jennifer says she believes in “tough love” but could never be cruel. Sounds like she’ll play the Paula role.
    • Hard to tell what role Steven is going to play. He’s inarticulate. He’s moving to Los Angeles. (He lives in Boston).
    • Steven tried to put a positive spin on it, but it’s obvious his Aerosmith bandmates are pissed. He says when they first heard the news they were jealous and angry they heard it through the media.
    • Jlo unfazed by rumors in the run-up to the announcement. She’s used to bad press. She says the truth is always revealed.
    • Jennifer has a 1st look deal with FOX . She’ll develop film and television projects.
    • Fox brass insists the negotiations with both went really smoothly.
    Old 09-22-2010, 02:50 PM   #821
    Mustang
    Grizzled Veteran

'Nigel says there will be no “shoe gazers”. They want contestants to move.'

Oh goody.

Sounds like the changes are to dummy it down to teenagers. Which is fine because it will free up time during the week for me not watching.
    You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
    Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2010, 02:56 PM   #822
    Lathum
    Favored Bitch #1

I see maybe 2 more seasons before Idol dwindles out.

And IMO Steven Tyler is one of the most irritating human beings on the planet.
    Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #823
    wade moore
    lolzcat

One thing I'll say - Nigel has shown on SYTYCD that he has no problem changing up the rules in dramatic ways. I've always felt that was a strength of that show.

Looks like that is carrying over here, I'm curious to see how the changes work out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Subby
    Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
    wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2010, 03:33 PM   #824
    Ksyrup

I really hope Tyler doesn't just do the Steven Tyler characicture up there and make jokes about his big mouth and lips and throw out witty one-liners that he confuses for substantive critical commentary. Because I could see that happening, and it would get old quick.

JLo... she's going to be boring as hell. At BEST, she'll be Paula with less personality. Not that I listen to her music or know all that much about her, but she's been around for YEARS and I still don't really know what she does or who she is. I can't really link her to a personality or something about her that I know (aside from her butt, I guess). What is she? She's not a standout singer or dancer, she's not a standout actor... she just is. She's like the Andruw Jones of the music business - busted big onto the stage, was consistent for years but never really lived up to the hype.
    Old 09-22-2010, 03:42 PM   #825
    Matthean
    Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
    Steven tried to put a positive spin on it, but it’s obvious his Aerosmith bandmates are pissed. He says when they first heard the news they were jealous and angry they heard it through the media.

It reeks of a complete jump the shark kind of move, and I'm in no way surprised the rest of the band is mad about it. If they did find out via media, I can't say I'm exactly surprised there either. I never watched before last year and to be honest nothing about the next season makes me want to watch.
    Old 09-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #826
    Pumpy Tudors
    Bounty Hunter

can't wait to see steven tyler's big butt
    Old 09-30-2010, 07:23 AM   #827
    Ksyrup

Oh Lord, apparently Randy has taken Simon's spot on the right of the judges' table and will speak last. Seriously. Pinning your hopes for maintaining (or restoring) AI's relevancy on Randy Jackson stepping up his game by like 10 or 12 notches...WTF, Dawg? That doesn't sound too good for me for you.
    Old 09-30-2010, 07:54 AM   #828
    GrantDawg

Quote:
    Oh Lord, apparently Randy has taken Simon's spot on the right of the judges' table and will speak last. Seriously. Pinning your hopes for maintaining (or restoring) AI's relevancy on Randy Jackson stepping up his game by like 10 or 12 notches...WTF, Dawg? That doesn't sound too good for me for you.

Yeah, not good. This season will "train-wreck" watching at best.
    Old 09-30-2010, 08:30 PM   #829
    Mota
    College Benchwarmer

I sense disaster as well. We've watched every season so far but this may be nearing the end for the Mota family.
    Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #830
    Ksyrup

I think I mentioned this show 6 or more months ago when I first saw the Bravo press release. It has been re-titled Going Platinum from Hitmakers, and they've added Jewel and Kara DioGuardi (probably a smart move, despite how little I cared for her on AI) as judges. I know this show is going to end up far less substantive than I am hoping for, but I'm still hopeful it will be much closer to what I want to watch than AI is.

Quote:
    BRAVO SPOTLIGHTS ASPIRING SONGWRITERS WITH NEW GREENLIGHT "GOING PLATINUM" (WORKING TITLE)

Jewel To Host And Kara DioGuardi To Judge New Music Competition Series Scheduled To Premiere 2011

NEW YORK, NY - October 26, 2010- Bravo has greenlit "Going Platinum," (working title) a new music competition series showcasing emerging singer-songwriters on their quest to become the next big hitmaker. Two of the most accomplished songwriters have been confirmed as Jewel is set to host the series as well as give her feedback alongside Kara DioGuardi who will be the head judge each week. The series, which was previously announced as "Hitmakers," is currently in production in Los Angeles and is scheduled to premiere in 2011 with 10 episodes.

"Going Platinum" (working title) will follow 12 musicians as they battle through a series of innovative songwriting challenges testing their creativity, patience and drive. From dance track to love ballad, every episode will feature a different theme that will require the contestants to write and perform lyrics from multiple genres. Their intimate life stories and personal drama will unfold within the show and in their lyrics as they compete and live together. To find out if they have what it takes, some of today's most influential artists will be featured throughout the series to help guest judge the competition. In the end, only one will be crowned the ultimate hitmaker and walk away with a $100,000 cash prize, publishing deal with Sony, BMI Songwriters The Writing Camp and a recording deal with RCA/Jive.

"Bravo is giving viewers a front row seat to experience the journey and aspirations of these gifted songwriters and see inside this unique creative process for the first time," said Frances Berwick, President, Bravo Media. "It'll be inspiring to have Jewel and Kara involved in this series as they share their experience and wisdom in the intensely competitive world of music."

"I am excited to be a part of this show because as a songwriter, I understand the dedication and struggle these musicians are going through," said Jewel. "This series will showcase the passion, talent and determination it requires to become a hit songwriter, and in the end we will find the next big music star."

"Hit songs are the backbone of the music industry, and as a publisher, nothing excites me more than finding new songwriting talent," said Kara DioGuardi. "I am happy to be a part of a show that helps up and coming songwriters pursue their dreams, while giving the public a look into the creative process."

Jewel is an acclaimed American singer, songwriter, actress, poet, painter, philanthropist and daughter to an Alaskan cowboy singer-songwriter. Hailed by the New York Times as a "songwriter bursting with talents," the three-time Grammy nominee has enjoyed career longevity rare among her generation of artists. Jewel has always been a charismatic live performer, earning the respect of other singer-songwriters such as Merle Haggard, Bob Dylan and Neil Young, who, not only invited her to open their shows, but also mentored her in the early phases of her career. After a tremendous amount of success as a singer-songwriter and over 27 million albums sold, Jewel returned to her roots with the release of her debut country album Perfectly Clear in June 2008, which garnered her a #1 spot on the Billboard country album charts. Earlier this year she released her sophomore follow-up album, Sweet and Wild, which she wrote and produced.

Kara DioGuardi was recently honored with the 2009 Icon Award, which is granted by the National Music Publishers' Association to outstanding songwriters for professional achievement. Kara is a Grammy nominated hitmaker, 2007 BMI Pop Songwriter of the Year, 2007 SOCAN Award winner, and has won 15 BMI Awards over career for co-writing the most played songs on the radio. Her songs have appeared on more than 150 million albums. From her catalog of several hundred tunes, over 302 have been released on major labels; and over 172 have appeared on multi-platinum selling albums. Kara has had over 40 worldwide charting singles, and her songs have helped propel more than 73 albums into the Top Ten of the Billboard 200. Kara has co-written with the whose who of contemporary hit artists, including, Christina Aguilera, Pink, Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Celine Dion, Enrique Iglesias, Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers and Faith Hill. Kara also works at Warner Bros Records as Executive VP Talent Development, Office of the Chairman, and is responsible for such hit artists as Jason Derulo and Iyaz. Further, Kara co-owns Arthouse Entertainment, a music-publishing venture, with Bug Music.

"Going Platinum" (working title) is produced by True Entertainment. Glenda Hersh, Steven Weinstock, Faye Stapleton, Evan Bogart, Tim Bogart, and Marvin Acuna serve as executive producers.
    Old 10-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #831
    Ksyrup

One thing I already don't like about this is "write and perform lyrics"...does that mean they are just going to be handed the music? Yeesh. I hope that was inartfully written.
    Old 11-04-2010, 03:17 PM   #832
    Ksyrup

So much for Crystal Bowersox being her own artist:

Quote:
    the first single from her debut album, Farmers Daughter will be “Hold On” written by Chad Kroeger (Nickleback) and Kara DioGuardi.

UGH.
    Old 11-04-2010, 04:59 PM   #833
    Matthean
    Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
    So much for Crystal Bowersox being her own artist:

UGH.

You have to be low enough to not get an instant contract via the people behind the show to have a realistic chance of having an actual voice on your album.
    Old 11-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #834
    Ksyrup

So bits and pieces keep coming out about the upcoming season:

Quote:
    For its 10th season, American Idol is changing significantly: Besides adding mentor Jimmy Iovine and Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler, who will judge with Randy Jackson, the show will not have a top 24 or semi-final round, and the top 12 contestants will have to complete various challenges. That’s according to its returning executive producer, Nigel Lythgoe.

The show’s “finalists will face new challenges, including contests to make the best music video, to promote themselves, and to work with a band and dancers for an awards show-style performance,” TV Guide reports.

And the semi-finals will be dropped because, Nigel told the magazine, “I didn’t think [the top 24] were very good, I was bored with them by the time they got there.” But as of now, we don’t know how the show will go from a mass of people during Hollywood week to the top 12; perhaps the show doesn’t even know yet. But if it stays with the same four-plus month schedule, there will be a lot of extra time to kill—though the magazine notes that “more contenders are being sent through to Hollywood” this year.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-18-2010 at 09:31 AM.
    Old 11-18-2010, 10:34 AM   #835
    Mustang
    Grizzled Veteran

And American Idol will fade from my TV rotation...

Challenges?

Are you fucking kidding me?
    You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
    Old 11-18-2010, 11:17 AM   #836
    Ksyrup

Maybe they'll make them eat bug larvae while they sing Barry Manilow songs...
    Old 11-18-2010, 01:19 PM   #837
    tyketime
    College Benchwarmer

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    And American Idol will fade from my TV rotation...

Challenges?

Are you fucking kidding me?

But what if the Immunity Idol was shaped like a Grammy necklace?
    tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-18-2010, 01:23 PM   #838
    Ksyrup

Too bad they no longer have Simon's cleavage to hide the immunity idol in, though.
    Old 11-23-2010, 05:38 PM   #839
    Matthean
    Grizzled Veteran

He's what a neutered Lee DeWyze sounds like with god awful vocal effects added in for no apprent reason. I could at least handled the neutering and just written it off as just another forgettable pop song, but noooo, they had to add the vocal effects.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:37 PM   #840
    Danny
    Head Coach

I like Lee's voice a lot, but that song is awful.
    Old 11-24-2010, 06:49 AM   #841
    Ksyrup

Sounds like someone trying really hard to be Jason Mraz and failing miserably. Dude just does NOT look like a marketable pop/rock star to me at all.

In other AI news, they are moving the show to Wednesdays and Thursdays, along with all the other changes. Rumor is they are doing this so if the show fails, they can blame it on the new days and not the substance of the show. I'm actually getting a little curious to watch this trainwreck next season. Not sure how long that's going to last...
    Old 11-24-2010, 06:58 AM   #842
    Thomkal
    Head Coach

yeah not so good from the dumb title to the annoying product placements in the video to the voice effects
    Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-24-2010, 09:50 AM   #843
    Ksyrup

Ouch!

Quote:
    Lee DeWyze’s post-Idol debut, Live It Up debuts on the Billboard 200 this week at # 19, selling 38,000 units, according to Nielsen Soundscan. As USA Today’s Brian Mansfield, notes, the total is less than half what last year’s winner, Kris Allen sold during his debut week. Kris’s 1st week total was 80K.

Lee’s first-week sales are the lowest for a debut album from any winner or runner-up in the show’s history. Even 3rd Season runner-up, Diana DeGarmo who previously held the record, sold 47K of her debut in 2004.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-24-2010 at 09:50 AM.
    Old 11-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #844
    Mustang
    Grizzled Veteran

Not outselling Diana Degarmo is bad.
    Old 11-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #845
    Matthean
    Grizzled Veteran

I'm lazy and I don't have the time, but Diana DeGarmo was a runner-up so I'm curious how he compares to other actual AI winners in terms of debuts.
    Old 11-24-2010, 11:26 AM   #846
    Ksyrup

No. 11, Kris Allen, "Kris Allen" (80,000)
    No. 3, Adam Lambert, "For Your Entertainment" (198,000)

No. 3, David Cook, "David Cook" (280,000)
    No. 2, David Archuleta, "David Archuleta" (183,000)

No. 10, Jordin Sparks, "Jordin Sparks" (119,000)
    No. 10, Blake Lewis, "Audio Day Dream" (98,000)

No. 2, Taylor Hicks, "Taylor Hicks" (298,000)
    No. 2, Katharine McPhee, "Katharine McPhee" (116,000)

No. 2, Carrie Underwood, "Some Hearts" (315,000)
    No. 4, Bo Bice, "The Real Thing" (227,000)

No. 8, Fantasia, "Free Yourself" (240,000)
    No. 52, Diana DeGarmo, "Blue Skies" (47,000)

No. 1, Ruben Studdard, "Soulful" (417,000)
    No. 1, Clay Aiken, "Measure of a Man" (613,000)

No. 1, Kelly Clarkson, "Thankful" (297,000)
    No. 20, Justin Guarini, "Justin Guarini" (57,000)
    Old 11-24-2010, 11:41 AM   #847
    Matthean
    Grizzled Veteran

Taylor Hicks outsold Kelly Clarkson. I would have not guessed that. Reuben and Clay sold way more than they should have. Allen's ranking seems rather shocking, but Lee really runs away with it. This year's duo might not match Allen's debut. Combined.
    Old 11-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #848
    Ksyrup

You have to remember that Idol was just getting started when Clarkson won, so there was little or no buzz on her until that one song hit big - and that was on her second album, I believe. Obviously, the next year they rode the wave of AI's budding popularity to Reuben/Clay selling over a million. I iknow that's the season we started tuning in, about halfway through.
    Old 12-01-2010, 09:51 AM   #849
    Ksyrup

More info:

Quote:
    Viewers will apparently be able to vote to select American Idol 10’s finalists online, two reports and a Twitter page reveal. Executive producer Nigel Lythgoe previously revealed that the semi-final rounds would be dropped, and this news explains how the show will go from hundreds in Hollywood to 15 finalists. (Yes, 15.)

A Twitter account for “AI 10 Contestants” says “Voting begins Thursday, February 24 at ATT.com/Idol”, as the blog AI Now noticed. That ATT.com URL doesn’t work, but interestingly, it redirects to a directory on their server (/entertainment/idol/) that is not yet accessible and/or live.

Vote for the Worst reported last week and added to its report yesterday to say that viewers will select the top 12 finalists, who will be joined by three wildcard picks, from around 40 or 50 people who will be featured during the Hollywood episodes. The site’s tipster describes the beginning of the season like this:
    “The online voting will take place at AT&T’s website. Auditions will take place for the first 6 episodes (California, Nashville, Milwaukee, New Jersey, Austin, New Orleans in that order). There will then be 5 Hollywood episodes, a live voting kick off episode that highlights the eligible contestants, a reveal episode to announce the top 12, and a wildcard episode to let 3 more people into the finals. The online voting may stay in place until the finals are down to 12.”
    Old 12-14-2010, 08:15 AM   #850
    Ksyrup

AI's Hollywood week is pretty much done. They got down to 60 people, took them to Las Vegas to sing with the Beatles/Cirque du Soleil cast, and reportedly cut the final 20 to be left with a top 40 for the live shows (I think). Although there are tons of spoilers out there, I don't even care enough this year to be interested in them.

Anyway, some news about a new show that appears to be attempting to short-circuit AI and X-Factor:

NBC’s Idol, X-Factor clone (sigh) has blind auditions, ugly people, swivel chairs

December 14, 2010, 7:00 AM

NBC has announced that it will air a new talent competition series that’s produced by two reality producer superstars, Survivor executive producer Mark Burnett and Big Brother producer John de Mol. The Voice of America is based on a European format and features celebrity mentors picking teams of singers who are eliminated until one team member remains for each.

In case there’s any doubt that NBC is just attempting its own American Idol and The X Factor, NBC notes in its press release that its series “is modeled after the very popular Dutch version of the show (‘The Voice of Holland’) that has displaced the Dutch version of ‘The X Factor’ and ‘American Idol’ as the #1 talent competition show in Holland.”

The “unique twist,” NBC says, is that “the initial audition process is blind; coaches can only hear the singer but cannot see them.” So it’s like the Fox series but potentially with ugly people!

Oh, but that’s not all: there are also swivel chairs. Yes, NBC says that if a coach likes an audition, “he/she pushes a button to select the contestant for his/her team of competitors. At this point, the coach’s chair will swivel so that he/she can face the contestant he/she has selected. If more than one coach selects the talent, the power shifts to the contestant who may choose which coach he/she wants to work with throughout the competition.”

Swivel chairs aside, the show does have its producers going for it, but I can’t imagine why anyone in their right mind thinks we really need another American Idol clone. Are network executives so insecure that they need to keep attempting derivatives of America’s most-popular TV show? Perhaps I’ll be surprised and it’ll get huge ratings and lift NBC from its last-place position, but it barely makes sense for Fox to be attempting X Factor, a show that would probably be virtually ignored if it wasn’t for Simon Cowell’s involvement, and this sounds like it could easily become NBC’s next Fame.