Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-27-2008, 10:37 AM   #801
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I love the Manningham pick. 2 solid young receivers, plus we did well with the last Michagin receiver. Plus my team in the fantasy alma mater league is Michagin

Last edited by Lathum : 04-27-2008 at 10:38 AM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:39 AM   #802
rjolley
College Starter

If Slaton can stay healthy, I think he can be good. The big question I have is why did he disappear so much in games. Seemed like if you got to him early, he was a non-factor for the rest of the game, even if the focus of the defense shifted to White or Devine.

Last edited by rjolley : 04-27-2008 at 10:40 AM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:41 AM   #803
SteveMax58
College Starter

I like Manningham here in the 3rd round. I wasnt too big on taking him in the 2nd or 1st, but here it's pretty good value and worth a shot.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:42 AM   #804
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Another WR for Cinncy? Apparently Chad won't be playing for them, or at least they don't think so.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:43 AM   #805
Clark
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I love the Manningham pick. 2 solid young receivers, plus we did well with the last Michagin receiver. Plus my team in the fantasy alma mater league is Michagin

Not sure about him. He scored a 6 on his Wonderlic test. Also a failed drug test.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:50 AM   #806
JW
College Prospect

Jacob Hester to San Diego in the 3rd round. San Diego got a good one. Early in that game, Florida DB's were taunting Hester, calling him "vanilla ice." Uh huh.

JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:51 AM   #807
Thomkal
Head Coach

Not too surprised the Cards went WR in the third round, even though they have got to go with a RB at some point during this draft. Especially after letting Bryant Johnson go in free agency they have very little behind Boldin and Fitzgerald, and who knows if Boldin will be on the roster at the start of the season.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:55 AM   #808
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW View Post
Jacob Hester to San Diego in the 3rd round. San Diego got a good one. Early in that game, Florida DB's were taunting Hester, calling him "vanilla ice." Uh huh.

Agreed- I'm surprised he went this early, but I think they got a great player- watching LSU games you knew he wasn't the most talented back they had, but he was always the one making the important plays, a great special teams guy, good blocker, good runner, good receiver- I wish the Saints would've had a need for a FB/RB/ ST guy- I would've loved to have him on the team.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:47 AM   #809
JeeberD
General Manager

I just got home from work...what's up with the Cowboys trading away their picks? Are they all for future picks?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:49 AM   #810
JeeberD
General Manager

Dola-

Crap...Demps to the EAGLES?!?!?

Old 04-27-2008, 11:51 AM   #811
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Couldn't be more pleased the Chiefs went local and took Will Franklin. He needs to work on a few things but he has blazing speed and nice hands. He's a hugh deep threat, assuming Croyle can throw the ball deep.

The homer in me would have preferred Rucker to Cottam at TE. Rucker's going to be a nice pick for Cleveland.

Somewhat surprised at the Charles pick to start the third. The Chiefs seemed sold on Kolby Smith as a No. 2 back. Still need more help at OL and might need another WR and DB. Wouldn't be surprised to see them take a flier on a QB. Some interesting names are going to be available late in this draft.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:00 PM   #812
JeeberD
General Manager

Another RB?

Old 04-27-2008, 12:08 PM   #813
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Couldn't be more pleased the Chiefs went local and took Will Franklin. He needs to work on a few things but he has blazing speed and nice hands. He's a hugh deep threat, assuming Croyle can throw the ball deep.

The homer in me would have preferred Rucker to Cottam at TE. Rucker's going to be a nice pick for Cleveland.

Somewhat surprised at the Charles pick to start the third. The Chiefs seemed sold on Kolby Smith as a No. 2 back. Still need more help at OL and might need another WR and DB. Wouldn't be surprised to see them take a flier on a QB. Some interesting names are going to be available late in this draft.

The Cheifs have done one hell of a job in the draft... imho. I was hoping the Rams would get Franklin.. at least he'll be close.

Rucker is an EXCELLENT pick for Cleveland.. I really think he's a sleeper.. even if I'm bias.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:10 PM   #814
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post

Barring further injury, I think you'll grow to like Cottam.

He was underutilized at UT for most of his career, when he played & was used he proved he could make a big play. Surprisingly athletic for his size and he's smart.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:15 PM   #815
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Painter, not Brees or Orton, holds the Purdue single season passing record. I think he's a first day pick.
This is a from a few pages back but this is a really bad way to look at this one record Painter holds.. If you followed Purdue football at all you would know the reason he holds this record is because Purdue's defense was so bad. Teams would score so fast and forced Purdue to throw the ball like crazy. I agree though that he does look like the prototypical NFL quarterback, but from watching him, he's no where close.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:30 PM   #816
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
If Slaton can stay healthy, I think he can be good. The big question I have is why did he disappear so much in games. Seemed like if you got to him early, he was a non-factor for the rest of the game, even if the focus of the defense shifted to White or Devine.

From my perspective, there are two schools of thought on Slaton.

The biggest is that he put on about 10-15 lbs of muscle because he thought he would be a better NFL prospect as a 200 lb RB and that caused him to lose some speed.

The second is that he was overthinking things last season, causing him to take too long to choose his hole(s). That lead him to have a lot of negative and minimal gains.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #817
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW View Post

I'm stoked about the Hester pick. Seems like he has a great chance to play signifcant minutes as the big back, some FB and be a stud on special teams. Two very solid players for the Bolts so far.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:49 PM   #818
bhlloy
Coordinator

DOLA - JD Booty goes to Minnesota. Gotta think he has a great chance to start at some point this season. I guarantee you he is a better passer than Tavaris Jackson right now. Great pick for player and team.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:54 PM   #819
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
DOLA - JD Booty goes to Minnesota. Gotta think he has a great chance to start at some point this season. I guarantee you he is a better passer than Tavaris Jackson right now. Great pick for player and team.

Yep, Jackson's time is coming to a close quickly. Though I'm surprised they didn't take Brohm or Henne in the 2nd round... perhaps Booty will be decent.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:58 PM   #820
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

Yep. Very happy for Booty, probably the best situation for him in the entire league - poor competition at QB, great running back, very good offensive line, and a solid defense. If they get some better receivers, he could be very solid there.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 04-27-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:59 PM   #821
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Dola-

Crap...Demps to the EAGLES?!?!?

What is the scouting report on Demps?

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 04-27-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:01 PM   #822
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Yep. Very happy for Booty, probably the best situation for him in the entire league - poor competition at QB, great running back, very good offensive line, and a solid defense. If they get some better receivers, he could be very solid there.

And don't forget that he'll be playing indoors for half of the season -- I kind of wondered if KC might not take him, but Arrowhead weather conditions don't suit his game as well.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:38 PM   #823
MrBug708
Head Coach

Matt Slater to the Pats. Good pickup for them as they now have a dangerous kick return man
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:43 PM   #824
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Heh. Dennis Dixon to the Steelers. I look forward to seeing how creatively they use him.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #825
Swaggs
Coordinator

Steelers taking a lot of guys with injury concerns. Seems like Sweed, Tony Hills, and now Dixon are all coming off season ending injuries.

Hopefully they are getting good value and not fragile players.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #826
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

meh - if looking at cnnsi's blurbs about the Pats draftees is any indication they're having a shitty draft - idk...not a lot of names i'm at all familiar with, i'll need to do some digging
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:53 PM   #827
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
meh - if looking at cnnsi's blurbs about the Pats draftees is any indication they're having a shitty draft - idk...not a lot of names i'm at all familiar with, i'll need to do some digging

Slater will do nothing but return kicks for you. That's all he did at UCLA, had a few taken back for TD's as well
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:56 PM   #828
Galaril
Pro Starter

My Titans draft quite possibly could go down as one of the worst jobs by a GM in the history of the draft. They picked a scatback,Chris Johnson,East Carolina that most likely will be at best be a backup and worst a third string/ 3rd downsituational guy. Already the experts say without a downfield threat this guy is a total waste. The 2nd round pick was a reach on DE from E.Michigan and the 3rd rounder was for a blocking TE out of California. Then they trade a 4th and 5th pick so they can move to take a small slow DE Hayes, Winston Salem University who wasn't even expected to be drafted. This guy was suppose to be undrafted free agent invite type and they wasted the 103 pick in the top of the 4th round on him. After that they picked Desean Jackson backup who will compete for the end of a mediocre WR corp in tennessee. The next pick was a small quick OLB from Purdue that will be a special teams guy. They still have 6 and 7th rounder to go but that is it. Just terrible when other teams in there division namely the Jags were very agrressive and successful in the draft. Alot of Titans fans are starting to speculate that the Tennessee FO/coach have given up on Young. Most certainly they did nothing to help imrove this kids passing by getting him a viable down the field wr threat in Free AGENCY OR THE DRAFT IN THE LAST THREE YEARS!
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:00 PM   #829
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Well, I am going to say the Titans know Vinces limitations. He can't throw the ball down the field, so you get Chris Johnson and let him line up all over and let him make plays after the catch.

They could move it down the field with Collins in at QB, but not Vince. They probably know what they have by now.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:05 PM   #830
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
My Titans draft quite possibly could go down as one of the worst jobs by a GM in the history of the draft. They picked a scatback,Chris Johnson,East Carolina that most likely will be at best be a backup and worst a third string/ 3rd downsituational guy. Already the experts say without a downfield threat this guy is a total waste. The 2nd round pick was a reach on DE from E.Michigan and the 3rd rounder was for a blocking TE out of California. Then they trade a 4th and 5th pick so they can move to take a small slow DE Hayes, Winston Salem University who wasn't even expected to be drafted. This guy was suppose to be undrafted free agent invite type and they wasted the 103 pick in the top of the 4th round on him. After that they picked Desean Jackson backup who will compete for the end of a mediocre WR corp in tennessee. The next pick was a small quick OLB from Purdue that will be a special teams guy. They still have 6 and 7th rounder to go but that is it. Just terrible when other teams in there division namely the Jags were very agrressive and successful in the draft. Alot of Titans fans are starting to speculate that the Tennessee FO/coach have given up on Young. Most certainly they did nothing to help imrove this kids passing by getting him a viable down the field wr threat in Free AGENCY OR THE DRAFT IN THE LAST THREE YEARS!

I think Lavelle Hawkins could be a solid slot guy. Not a bad pick for a late 4th. Overall, I think you are right, though. It almost seems like they took each of their first 3 picks a round early. Johnson would have been a great 2nd round pick and Jones would have been pretty solid as a 3rd.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:15 PM   #831
Swaggs
Coordinator

Seattle just moved up my list of teams to like.

Owen Schmitt was a great college player and a lot of fun to cheer for. Hopefully, he gets a good shot with the Seahawks.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:22 PM   #832
bhlloy
Coordinator

Not as happy with the Chargers third pick. Not sure why we needed another big back. I guess they weren't planning on playing Hester at RB, but if that was the case he's a big reach in the third round.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:29 PM   #833
stevew
Hall Of Famer

FOFC fave Thomas Brown just got drafted by the Falcons.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:58 PM   #834
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Colt Brennan to the Redskins.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:03 PM   #835
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Colt Brennan to the Redskins.

I'm skeptical of his ability to rush the passer from the edge.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:10 PM   #836
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
I'm skeptical of his ability to rush the passer from the edge.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:17 PM   #837
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
From my perspective, there are two schools of thought on Slaton.

The biggest is that he put on about 10-15 lbs of muscle because he thought he would be a better NFL prospect as a 200 lb RB and that caused him to lose some speed.

The second is that he was overthinking things last season, causing him to take too long to choose his hole(s). That lead him to have a lot of negative and minimal gains.

I actually think it was quite a bit of both. I was leaning more toward the second group until some of Coach Stew's comments recently. He basically said that Slaton got bad advice in needing to bulk up and Barwis did a horrible job of bulking him up. I guess Slaton pulled his hamstring several times last year, which is attributable completely to the way he added the extra muscle. Stewart was pretty emphatic that he had definitely lost a step, too.

If he can drop 5 or 10 pounds and get that speed back, I definitely think he could make it in the pros and even do very well, especially in a zone blocking scheme like the Texans use. The bigger, slower Slaton of '07 probably wouldn't stick around more than a few years, though.

Last edited by timmynausea : 04-27-2008 at 03:18 PM.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:17 PM   #838
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post

One of Washington's key needs was a pass rusher. They've taken a 2nd string TE, a punter, and a 4'6" cover corner along with the biggest gimmick QB in a decade instead of getting even one big body to put along the DL.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:19 PM   #839
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Shit San Diego drafted Tribble.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:20 PM   #840
timmynausea
College Starter

Glad to see Ryan Mundy go to the Steelers. He didn't even get invited to the combine, but the numbers he put up at the WVU pro day were on par with some of the top safeties in the draft.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:20 PM   #841
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Ugh... I might have to be a Patriot fan....
Old 04-27-2008, 03:23 PM   #842
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Thank Goodness.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:28 PM   #843
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Andre' Woodson hasn't been drafted? Wow talk about a major drop.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:30 PM   #844
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Mike Hart is still on the board as well.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:30 PM   #845
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Well Woodson just got drafted.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:31 PM   #846
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And the Giants grab him.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:32 PM   #847
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Mike Hart will be a solid pro. I am shocked he has lasted so long. I expect Indy to scoop him up with one of these two picks.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:32 PM   #848
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Erin Henderson is another kid I really like that is still on the borad.

Last edited by DeToxRox : 04-27-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:34 PM   #849
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Andre' Woodson hasn't been drafted? Wow talk about a major drop.

Seems like a long time ago they were talking about Brohm, Ryan and Woodson being the top 3 QBs.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:34 PM   #850
timmynausea
College Starter

I definitely agree on Henderson. I'm really surprised that he's still around.

I thought there were enough questions about Woodson (delivery and reading defenses) and Hart (speed and size) that I'm not shocked that they've dropped. I do think both have a chance to make it, but there are some limitations to their upsides. I have no idea what the problem with Henderson would be. Did he have a horrible combine or something?