Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-14-2008, 10:46 AM   #801
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I am about to drop my fucking cubemate. I understand that I will take shit living where I do, and rooting for their rival. But the guy didn't watch a hockey game all year and probably doesn't know the difference between a puck and a hole in the ground yet he comes in to work telling me what a piece of shit team the Flyers are and how they stink. When I explained to him that the Flyers are without their top two defensemen he said "Losers don't make excuses."

He won't be laughing when I give him two black eyes and he cant watch the finals cause his eyes are swollen shut.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:56 PM   #802
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
But the guy didn't watch a hockey game all year and probably doesn't know the difference between a puck and a hole in the ground yet he comes in to work telling me what a piece of shit team the Flyers are and how they stink. When I explained to him that the Flyers are without their top two defensemen he said "Losers don't make excuses."
Weird, I didn't know there were Sens fans in Pittsburgh.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 05-14-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:35 PM   #803
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I am about to drop my fucking cubemate. I understand that I will take shit living where I do, and rooting for their rival. But the guy didn't watch a hockey game all year and probably doesn't know the difference between a puck and a hole in the ground yet he comes in to work telling me what a piece of shit team the Flyers are and how they stink. When I explained to him that the Flyers are without their top two defensemen he said "Losers don't make excuses."

He won't be laughing when I give him two black eyes and he cant watch the finals cause his eyes are swollen shut.

I know it's not quite as bad, but imagine working with a group like him who suddenly ARE Pens fans now. Same type, haven't watched a game all year, but I bought a Crosby/Malkin/Fleury t-shirt and wear it on casual Fridays, so now I am a HUGE fan.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:37 PM   #804
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think it had more to do with the scary beard that Crosby is growing. Why isn't Geno growing one? Or can't he?

Malkin was quoted in the paper the other day saying (paraphrasing) he doesn't care about the superstition of growing a playoff beard.

Crosby's is great...for a 14 year old.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:39 PM   #805
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
I know it's not quite as bad, but imagine working with a group like him who suddenly ARE Pens fans now. Same type, haven't watched a game all year, but I bought a Crosby/Malkin/Fleury t-shirt and wear it on casual Fridays, so now I am a HUGE fan.

Same type of person but he talks shit. I bet those people already know more about the Pens than you do?

I know I am going to take grief. I've taken grief for the 29 years I've been a fan. But I can't stand stupidity. My boss today made a totally irrelevant, asinine comment about the Flyers to which I responded "I am going to walk away and pretend I never heard what you said. Because if I did hear it, I can never in good faith talk sports with you again."
Old 05-14-2008, 05:43 PM   #806
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Malkin was quoted in the paper the other day saying (paraphrasing) he doesn't care about the superstition of growing a playoff beard.

Crosby's is great...for a 14 year old.

That is short for..."I can't grow a beard and I don't want to look like Sidney"
Old 05-14-2008, 08:25 PM   #807
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Same type of person but he talks shit. I bet those people already know more about the Pens than you do?

I know I am going to take grief. I've taken grief for the 29 years I've been a fan. But I can't stand stupidity. My boss today made a totally irrelevant, asinine comment about the Flyers to which I responded "I am going to walk away and pretend I never heard what you said. Because if I did hear it, I can never in good faith talk sports with you again."

Of course they know more than me. Plus, I haven't worn a shirt/jersey any of the Friday's so far...because I didn't the first week, and now I can't break the trend.

But, because I am not wearing one, I am not a fan. I've had at least two people each week ask me "why don't you wear a jersey? I though you liked them!"

And the number of people who ask me about my tickets...until i point out I get 3X face value selling them, and are then no longer interested in them.

I've got a newer kid in my group who is from Philly, so he's taking a ribbing, but he takes it graciously. And actually i can talk hockey to someone in the office now.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:02 AM   #808
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Well, but, like you say, he wasn't going to watch the Finals anyway.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:20 PM   #809
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

bsak...I would write something here not so nice about you or the Flyers...but I'm afraid I'd be given a roughing penalty for it.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:30 PM   #810
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Now this game is looking much more like it...

Of course Crosby is still crying his ass off like a little girl every chance he gets...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:17 PM   #811
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Mike Richards with some tough guy slashes to the ankle on that last faceoff.

Also..I love when they hand out all the penalties in the scrums that occur with 30 seconds left. Same scrum occurred in the first, and Orpik is the only player penalized. Classic NHL.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 05-15-2008 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:08 PM   #812
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Mike Richards with some tough guy slashes to the ankle on that last faceoff.

Also..I love when they hand out all the penalties in the scrums that occur with 30 seconds left. Same scrum occurred in the first, and Orpik is the only player penalized. Classic NHL.

I think we found Crosby's FOFC account...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:09 AM   #813
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Looks like Timmonen is "likely" to return for Game 5?

I'm no doctor, nor do I play one on FOFC, but how does someone go from out the remainder of the playoffs 1 week ago to ready to play?
Old 05-16-2008, 07:09 AM   #814
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I think we found Crosby's FOFC account...

My account has never dove.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:10 AM   #815
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Looks like Timmonen is "likely" to return for Game 5?

I'm no doctor, nor do I play one on FOFC, but how does someone go from out the remainder of the playoffs 1 week ago to ready to play?

Obviously the original diagnosis failed to realize that he's a hockey player.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:34 AM   #816
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

I hope Malkin knows which leg to slew foot.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:00 AM   #817
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/54213
Old 05-16-2008, 11:31 AM   #818
MikeVic
Head Coach

Awesome article.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:56 AM   #819
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
bsak...I would write something here not so nice about you or the Flyers...but I'm afraid I'd be given a roughing penalty for it.

Oh my a Pens fan complaining about calls. Should we talk about Whitney punch in the back of the head that went unnoticed, or when Sid when into Biron at the end of the game and no interference was called, or the numerous times Ryan Malone jumps in on scrums from behind? Would you like me to bring up Malkin's cheap shot on Briere? No I didn't say anything about it. The Pens get the benefit of the doubt a lot of the time in calls, and the entire league sees it.

But if it were a Flyer, everyone here would be calling for him to be suspended. But since it was one of the "superstars" of the league, the league turns their head.

It was also nice to see the linesman save Crosby's ass last night. He looked like that kid that didn't want to fight so he held on for dear life waiting for a linesman to jump in. And watch it again, Sid does his fair share of slashing too. If you want to blame anyone, blame your coach for having his superstar on the ice with 14 seconds to go, down 2 goals, and no George Laraque. See Maple Leafs blog about fighting when you don't want to fight, and you'll see what I mean.

Also, you might want to tell your fellow Pens fans not to taught the home fans when they are outnumbered 5000 to 1. I was at the game last night and saw two "tough guys" in Crosby jersey who were tauting everyone around us with their 3-0 chants. Then after the first intermission they were in the bathroom and started pushing their way to the front of the line. Well let's just say they didn't get back to their seats for the rest of the game. I got out of there because I didn't want to be called a witness to a murder.

Timonen is playing Sunday, and so is Colburn. Timonen actually told the team before the game that if they win, he'll be joining them in game 5.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:58 AM   #820
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

But I still like you Suburban
Old 05-16-2008, 12:17 PM   #821
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Oh my a Pens fan complaining about calls. Should we talk about Whitney punch in the back of the head that went unnoticed, or when Sid when into Biron at the end of the game and no interference was called, or the numerous times Ryan Malone jumps in on scrums from behind? Would you like me to bring up Malkin's cheap shot on Briere? No I didn't say anything about it. The Pens get the benefit of the doubt a lot of the time in calls, and the entire league sees it.

But if it were a Flyer, everyone here would be calling for him to be suspended. But since it was one of the "superstars" of the league, the league turns their head.

It was also nice to see the linesman save Crosby's ass last night. He looked like that kid that didn't want to fight so he held on for dear life waiting for a linesman to jump in. And watch it again, Sid does his fair share of slashing too. If you want to blame anyone, blame your coach for having his superstar on the ice with 14 seconds to go, down 2 goals, and no George Laraque. See Maple Leafs blog about fighting when you don't want to fight, and you'll see what I mean.

Also, you might want to tell your fellow Pens fans not to taught the home fans when they are outnumbered 5000 to 1. I was at the game last night and saw two "tough guys" in Crosby jersey who were tauting everyone around us with their 3-0 chants. Then after the first intermission they were in the bathroom and started pushing their way to the front of the line. Well let's just say they didn't get back to their seats for the rest of the game. I got out of there because I didn't want to be called a witness to a murder.

Timonen is playing Sunday, and so is Colburn. Timonen actually told the team before the game that if they win, he'll be joining them in game 5.

Not complaining, just find it funny, no matter who it's against, that 8 guys in the corner facewashing, pushing, punching...and the refs can pick out the one offender.

As for Therrien putting Crosby out at the end of the game, during the 8-2 game earlier this year, when Roberts schooled Ben Eager, wasn't there questions why Therrien had Crosby and Malkin stuck to the bench? I am betting in his nightly phone call with Gary Bettman, going over the plans for the behind the scenes setup guaranteeing Penguin victories, he asked Therrien to put Crosby out at the end of the game this time. For ratings and such.

As for the guys in Pens jerseys...so you are admitting that Flyers fans are a bunch of thugs?
Old 05-16-2008, 12:18 PM   #822
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
But I still like you Suburban

See...maybe you should talk to these guys roughing up the Pens fans...can't we all just get along! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!
Old 05-16-2008, 12:27 PM   #823
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

As for the guys in Pens jerseys...so you are admitting that Flyers fans are a bunch of thugs?

I don't condone beating people up. But at the same time you don't act like an asshole in another person's building. I could've went to Game 2 of this series, but my friend told me i better not because two rows in front of him, 2 Flyers fans got sucker punched in their seats.

It happens everywhere, just in Philly it gets publicized more.

Quote:
As for Therrien putting Crosby out at the end of the game, during the 8-2 game earlier this year, when Roberts schooled Ben Eager, wasn't there questions why Therrien had Crosby and Malkin stuck to the bench? I am betting in his nightly phone call with Gary Bettman, going over the plans for the behind the scenes setup guaranteeing Penguin victories, he asked Therrien to put Crosby out at the end of the game this time. For ratings and such.

Unlike other Flyers fans, I don't believe in conspiracy theories. The NHL has enough problems and if they were to get caught (which I am sure they would), it would be the end for the league. And talk about being schooled...I've seen 3rd graders put up better fights than Ryan Malone did last night.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 05-16-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:35 PM   #824
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I don't condone beating people up. But at the same time you don't act like an asshole in another person's building. I could've went to Game 2 of this series, but my friend told me i better not because two rows in front of him, 2 Flyers fans got sucker punched in their seats.

It happens everywhere, just in Philly it gets publicized more.

Beer muscle throughout the state

Quote:
Unlike other Flyers fans, I don't believe in conspiracy theories. The NHL has enough problems and if they were to get caught (which I am sure they would), it would be the end for the league. And talk about being schooled...I've seen 3rd graders put up better fights than Ryan Malone did last night.

If by taking 6 or 7 punches to the helmet = losing a fight, then yes.

Hatcher caught him a couple times, I'll give him that. But the majority of his punches got Malone's helmet

ETA - the big question of the night is, why was Laracque NOT out there at the end of the game? That shouldn't even be Malone.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 05-16-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:42 PM   #825
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Congrats to Pittsburgh. It's been a long time coming for the Pens to get back to the Cup finals and Sid the Kid and the gang are headed to the Cup finals. Especially since this team could've been playing in Kansas City.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-18-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:14 PM   #826
Arctic Blast
n00b

Woohoo! After painful years of cheering for 'talents' like Tom Kostopoulos and Konstantin Koltsov, the Pens are back in the finals.
Arctic Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:16 PM   #827
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Blast View Post
Woohoo! After painful years of cheering for 'talents' like Tom Kostopoulos and Konstantin Koltsov, the Pens are back in the finals.

Good to see the Pens back in the finales.

Also great for the NHL that their best young players will be in the finals to showcase.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:37 PM   #828
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

bsak...I am sure there are still a few more seats available on the wagon. Never too late to jump on.

And...the play of Koltsov, Joe Melichar, Ramzi Abid etc made it possible to draft Sid, Geno, Staal...we owe then something.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:13 PM   #829
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
bsak...I am sure there are still a few more seats available on the wagon. Never too late to jump on.

And...the play of Koltsov, Joe Melichar, Ramzi Abid etc made it possible to draft Sid, Geno, Staal...we owe then something.

No thanks. I'd rather root for any other team. Pens fans have become as obnoxious as Steeler fans.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:14 PM   #830
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Blast View Post

You underestimate Kostopoulos. There is uncountable value in a player always willing to fight, but completely unable to win one or even look passably competent during one. It's sports comedic value taken to previously unattainable heights.

"...and Kostopoulos goes after Boogard...baaaaad decision..."

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 05-18-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:47 PM   #831
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
No thanks. I'd rather root for any other team. Pens fans have become as obnoxious as Steeler fans.

The fans, or the fans who have appeared in the last 6 weeks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
You underestimate Kostopoulos. There is uncountable value in a player always willing to fight, but completely unable to win one or even look passably competent during one. It's sports comedic value taken to previously unattainable heights.

"...and Kostopoulos goes after Boogard...baaaaad decision..."

I am pretty sure Tommy K won a fight or two in Pittsburgh. He's not that bad of a player, every team needs guys like him on the 4th line...he's just painfully slow.

Guys like him and Koltsov didn't bother me as much, at least they were draft picks they were attempting to develop (with not a chance in hell, but still). Better than picking up Landon Wilson, Andy Hilbert, Guillame Lefebvre, Ric Jackman and other guys who were 25 and older who never panned out with their original team (or 2nd...or 3rd...) but the Pens would always go after.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:53 PM   #832
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am pretty sure Tommy K won a fight or two in Pittsburgh. He's not that bad of a player, every team needs guys like him on the 4th line...he's just painfully slow.

Naw, he's a decently functional fringe sort, a special teamers/fourth line type of contributor as you say. It was just hilarious, though, because I saw it so much when he was with the Kings. My bro (a Kings fan) and I (the Ducks fan) would laugh whenever Kostopoulos would get all riled up and go after Parros or May or Fedoruk when we had him or even some medium level antagonist like Marchant or Perry. Because he would always get whooped and generally in severe fashion. But after he got out of the box, there he would be, getting chippy again and mixing it up (in a good way). Even for my brother the Kings fan, Tommy K fights were some of the better highlights of any game we would watch.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:24 PM   #833
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The fans, or the fans who have appeared in the last 6 weeks?.

You know which ones I mean

It's sad because I actually had tickets to the Pens the year after the lockout and went to a lot of games last year fully rooting for the Pens.

Good luck in the Finals...well not really.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:33 PM   #834
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
You know which ones I mean

It's sad because I actually had tickets to the Pens the year after the lockout and went to a lot of games last year fully rooting for the Pens.

Good luck in the Finals...well not really.

It's funny. I got my partial season the year before the lockout. And now when people ask me about tickets at work, and they ask how long I've had them and I tell them, I get odd looks. "Didn't they suck back then? -- Why did you get tickets?" Um, yeah they did...and thanks for telling me you are only interested NOW that it's the playoffs, or ECF, or soon to be SCF. I tacked on extra charges for those people
Old 05-20-2008, 06:22 AM   #835
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Crosby and Malkin vs. Zetterberg and Datsyuk- who better?
Old 05-20-2008, 07:00 AM   #836
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

Taking into account offense and defensive ability? The latter by a lot.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:48 AM   #837
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Taking into account offense and defensive ability? The latter by a lot.

To add a little bit to my esteemed colleague's analysis...

I think Crosby and Malkin are better players, respectively, from a pure offensive stand point. I think both Zetterberg and Datsyuk, at this stage of their careers, are much better defensively. They backcheck like crazy, they forecheck like crazy, and no one is better at stealing the puck than Datsyuk. No one.

That said, the Wings will have their hands full with Malkin and Crosby, because Pittsburgh has enough depth and talent up front to split those two up. Dstyuk and Zetterberg have and, in all likelihood, will remain on the same line. They're just too good together to split up. This all means that while Zetterberg and Datsyuk can work on shutting down one of the two, but the other will have free reign.

If Johan Franzen can play and remains as hot as he was, that could be the Wings' answer to a guy like Hossa, who's also been playing lights out. It's that next level, Sykora and Malone, that the Wings really don't have an answer for. Cleary hasn't been the same since his broken jaw in February. Samuelsson shoots a ton, but can't score. Filpula and Hulder aren't quite there yet. The Wings also don't have anyone at quite the level of Jordan Staal on the third or fourth lines. They have some great role-players like Draper, Helm, Drake, etc., but no one at Staal's talent level, especially as he's been playing of late.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 05-20-2008 at 08:03 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:53 AM   #838
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

OK

Crosby, Malkin, Staal vs Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Draper

Honestly...Sid and Geno are underrated defensively. They aren't Datsyuk/Z level, but they aren't horrible.

What are the chances Chelios and Roberts drop the gloves?
Old 05-20-2008, 07:55 AM   #839
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

They're gonna need someone to pick them up.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:02 AM   #840
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Honestly...Sid and Geno are underrated defensively. They aren't Datsyuk/Z level, but they aren't horrible.

Nobody said they were horrible, but when you're comparing them to two of the best defensive forwards in the game, they don't quite match up.

Crosby and Malkin are also both several years younger than Datsyuk and Zetterberg. At that stage of Datsyuk's and Zetterberg's careers (first 2 or 3 years) they weren't anywhere near as good either offensively or defensively as Malkin and Crosby. Typically for guys like these their offense develops much more quickly than the defense.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 05-20-2008 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:09 AM   #841
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I thought I heard the other day that Robers was shut down because of pneumonia. And when Therrian announced it, he forgot that the 'p' is silent.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:18 AM   #842
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The X Factor is Lidstrom. He will still be the best player on the ice and probably log almost thirty minutes a game. Gonchar is Rafalski good but no one is Lidstrom good and there lies the advantage to Detroit imo.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:18 AM   #843
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The X Factor is Lidstrom. He will still be the best player on the ice and probably log almost thirty minutes a game. Gonchar is Rafalski good but no one is Lidstrom good and there lies the advantage to Detroit imo.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:19 AM   #844
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

But at the same time Gill and Orpik are solid defensemen. Plus Whitney had a horrible round 1 but has improved a lot since then. Him and Letang are above average offensive defensemen.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:22 AM   #845
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
That said, the Wings will have their hands full with Malkin and Crosby, because Pittsburgh has enough depth and talent up front to split those two up. Dstyuk and Zetterberg have and, in all likelihood, will remain on the same line. They're just too good together to split up. This all means that while Zetterberg and Datsyuk can work on shutting down one of the two, but the other will have free reign.

If Johan Franzen can play and remains as hot as he was, that could be the Wings' answer to a guy like Hossa, who's also been playing lights out. It's that next level, Sykora and Malone, that the Wings really don't have an answer for. Cleary hasn't been the same since his broken jaw in February. Samuelsson shoots a ton, but can't score. Filpula and Hulder aren't quite there yet. The Wings also don't have anyone at quite the level of Jordan Staal on the third or fourth lines. They have some great role-players like Draper, Helm, Drake, etc., but no one at Staal's talent level, especially as he's been playing of late.

No doubt in my mind Therrien will match up the Staal line and Orpik-Gonchar pairing against the Z-Datsyuk line as much as possible. Granted, that will be much easier to do in Pittsburgh than in Detroit.

But agree they secondary guys will be the key. I don't think Detroit has anyone to match Malone and Sykora, unless Franzen returns.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:27 AM   #846
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
But at the same time Gill and Orpik are solid defensemen. Plus Whitney had a horrible round 1 but has improved a lot since then. Him and Letang are above average offensive defensemen.

No love for Rockin Rob Scuderi? I HATED him last year, and he still can't play the puck to save his life. But in his own zone, he is nearly never out of position, good on the PK. You hardly notice him out there anymore, which is great compared to last year.

Pens group reminds me a little of the Canes a few years back-- Gonchar is better than anyone the Canes had. But still not a true #1 in the Lidstrom mold. But they've got 3 solid pairs, each guy filling a role. I still like the pairings used vs Ottawa - with Whitney/Scuderi and Letang/Gill. Gave us a puck mover on each pair, and the transition game is what drives the Pens.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 05-20-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:27 AM   #847
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

You just stated why I forgot about him. He isn't out there making mistakes and doesnt get noticed.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:26 AM   #848
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

This makes two years in a row that I've predicted the Cup finals matchup before the playoffs started. I had the winner right this year, can I make it two-for-two?
Old 05-20-2008, 09:41 AM   #849
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
This makes two years in a row that I've predicted the Cup finals matchup before the playoffs started. I had the winner right this year, can I make it two-for-two?

Let's hope so.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:43 AM   #850
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Let's hope so.

+1