Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-19-2008, 03:58 PM   #801
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
The more I think about it, the more this rankles me.

Cronin are you REALLY suggesting we should just keep our info to ourselves and if we die take it down with us? You really don't think that through multiple scans we can gather an accurate aggregate picture of not only how accurate individuals are, but also which sides players are on?

Barkeep, I agree that we need to get the information out there, but I noted fairly early on that we might want to ration our information a little bit to avoid making it too easy for the wolves. I'm not saying I have any particular ideas (and short of a specific plan that everyone agrees with, full disclosure is best), but I don't think cronin's crazy to be raising the idea.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:58 PM   #802
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I'd like to hear from one of the statisticians on board. What are the odds, given that the wolves know who the wolves are, that they could get to the teacher's pet tonight? My instinct says its quite high ... but I guess I don't know, and I don't know how to do the math.
I'm pretty good with stats and I have to say that I can't think of an easy way of doing this.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:59 PM   #803
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post
Barkeep, I agree that we need to get the information out there, but I noted fairly early on that we might want to ration our information a little bit to avoid making it too easy for the wolves. I'm not saying I have any particular ideas (and short of a specific plan that everyone agrees with, full disclosure is best), but I don't think cronin's crazy to be raising the idea.
If I thought he were crazy I'd have ignored it or voted for him rather than engage him. I don't think he's crazy, but I do think it's a bad idea.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:59 PM   #804
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

For some reason, I don't really think Lathum's a wolf, but if that's the direction we're headed in, I guess I'll have to think about changing my vote.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:01 PM   #805
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
For some reason, I don't really think Lathum's a wolf, but if that's the direction we're headed in, I guess I'll have to think about changing my vote.
I say this because I really don't want "no lynch" to win. We have to take somebody out tonight, just to get some information.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:01 PM   #806
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeheinz72 View Post
While I'd say your right, I guess the way I'd look at that is that you're much much LESS likely to be a wolf than our other people. I mean let's say we're all, on average, a 1/3rd correct Seer. So 2/3rds of the time we're wrong. With 4 scans of a 1/3rd seer, it's less than 20% chance you're a bad guy.

I'd recomment doing the math through correctly before making decisions based on it. On average, we're about 50% accurate, although there will be large swings. At this point, it's a little surprising that anyone would come up with all four scans as anything, seer or wolf. I haven't tried to work out whether the odds favor the scans all being right or all being wrong, but at this point, our scans are mainly useful for a) figuring who can spot wolves and who can't, and b) leaving a scan trail for use later in the game.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Old 02-19-2008, 04:03 PM   #807
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Actually I was assuming even less than that, 33% accuracy (to play it safe with the numbers)

There's nothing "safe" about assuming 33% accuracy, since 67% inaccuracy is really equivalent to 67% accuracy, only inverted. The safe choice is to assume that everyone's around 50%.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:03 PM   #808
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
I'd like to hear from one of the statisticians on board. What are the odds, given that the wolves know who the wolves are, that they could get to the teacher's pet tonight? My instinct says its quite high ... but I guess I don't know, and I don't know how to do the math.
The reason this is so hard is that we don't know who is a wolf and who is not. It could be that as few as 1 person got their scan right or as many as 12 got it right (assuming 4 wolves). So the odds are somewhere between 5% and 60%.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:05 PM   #809
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
I'd recomment doing the math through correctly before making decisions based on it. On average, we're about 50% accurate, although there will be large swings. At this point, it's a little surprising that anyone would come up with all four scans as anything, seer or wolf. I haven't tried to work out whether the odds favor the scans all being right or all being wrong, but at this point, our scans are mainly useful for a) figuring who can spot wolves and who can't, and b) leaving a scan trail for use later in the game.
There's only a 1/16 chance that everyone gets it right or wrong so about a 1/8 that 4 people viewing one person all come up with the same scan.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:06 PM   #810
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
The advantage the village has to staying quiet: potentially the teacher's pet and class clown live an extra day or more. Hypothetically, if we lose one tonight and one tomorrow night, we are pretty much fucked. Am I wrong?
Yes, you're wrong that we're pretty much fucked if we lose them. We are reasonably likely to have several other high-accuracy (but imperfect) seers. The wolves will be going after all of them, but it's going to be until day 3 or day 4 when they can really start to home in on those roles, and by then we'll have a decent base of information.

Along those lines, I think we should have some discussion about the extent to which we want to repeat scanning of people. Repeat scans give more information about accuracy, but at the expense of better coverage for the more accurate seers.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:06 PM   #811
st.cronin
General Manager

I'm actually starting to think that people aren't being forthcoming - no n-0 wolf scans, 4 villager scans on BK. I wonder if some villagers aren't playing the disinformation game..

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:07 PM   #812
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
The reason this is so hard is that we don't know who is a wolf and who is not. It could be that as few as 1 person got their scan right or as many as 12 got it right (assuming 4 wolves). So the odds are somewhere between 5% and 60%.
This is wrong. 3 is the minimum number of people who could have had a correct scan last night. So the range is 15-60 percent chance of getting the teacher's pet or class clown.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:08 PM   #813
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Yes, you're wrong that we're pretty much fucked if we lose them. We are reasonably likely to have several other high-accuracy (but imperfect) seers. The wolves will be going after all of them, but it's going to be until day 3 or day 4 when they can really start to home in on those roles, and by then we'll have a decent base of information.

Along those lines, I think we should have some discussion about the extent to which we want to repeat scanning of people. Repeat scans give more information about accuracy, but at the expense of better coverage for the more accurate seers.
I think accuracy has to be the name of the game early on.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:09 PM   #814
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
I don't like SnDvls, who has played in enough games on FOFC to know better, voting No Lynch Day 2.

I can see you point if it was day 3 or after, but it's day 2!!! we have no solid info to go one and this at least gives the Teacher's Pet a fighting chance to get in another view...heck even the Class Clown can help us at this point.

This isn't a typical WW game where the seer 1) knows their role and 2) can announce it without having doubt once they've done several scans.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:10 PM   #815
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
It depends on what, exactly, we got out of N0.

Based purely on a single night of scans, they basically have no firm info; anybody who was right could be the Teacher's Pet, and anybody who was wrong could be the Fool.

As we add nights onto that, their odds of picking those two out rise, but I think they're going to need to be really lucky to get both of them early.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:11 PM   #816
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm actually starting to think that people aren't being forthcoming - no n-0 wolf scans, 4 villager scans on BK. I wonder if some villagers aren't playing the disinformation game..
Well if they are we could be really sin screwed in a couple of different ways (if they're the class clown/teacher's pet or if they have scans in common with those players).

To give one example: let's say I'm a regular villager. Let's say I scan you and find you're a wolf. I lie and post that you're a villager. The next day you get lynched. I then appear to be less accurate than I really am, thus diminishing my credibility. This problem is only compounded if I turn out to be the cc/tp.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:12 PM   #817
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls View Post
I can see you point if it was day 3 or after, but it's day 2!!! we have no solid info to go one and this at least gives the Teacher's Pet a fighting chance to get in another view...heck even the Class Clown can help us at this point.

This isn't a typical WW game where the seer 1) knows their role and 2) can announce it without having doubt once they've done several scans.
We're not going to have a better idea of the accuracy of our information tomorrow, we're just going to have more information. The longer we wait to start finding out about the accuracy of our information, the worse it is.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:13 PM   #818
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think accuracy has to be the name of the game early on.
The thing is, though, let's assume (for the sake of argument) that I'm 10% accurate. I had my one good read on Passacaglia on night 0, and now I keep scanning him. By day 4, it will be pretty obvious to the wolves that I'm low accuracy and thus high risk, so they kill me. At that point, the survivors have to lynch Passacaglia to figure out how accurate I was, and when they find he's just a villager, there has been ZERO value derived from my scans.

We have to have balance. I'm not going to scan Passacaglia again tonight.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:13 PM   #819
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
There's nothing "safe" about assuming 33% accuracy, since 67% inaccuracy is really equivalent to 67% accuracy, only inverted. The safe choice is to assume that everyone's around 50%.

But it depends what you are using the number for.
Like I said, I'm not using that 80% confidence level to make an actual decision about vote or not-vote BK. I'm just using it to put him in the pile of people that aren't the best logical choice right now.

Get what I'm saying?

I mean yeah, I wouldn't stake my life on those numbers, but for that purpose, it's fine.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:14 PM   #820
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Well if they are we could be really sin screwed in a couple of different ways (if they're the class clown/teacher's pet or if they have scans in common with those players).

To give one example: let's say I'm a regular villager. Let's say I scan you and find you're a wolf. I lie and post that you're a villager. The next day you get lynched. I then appear to be less accurate than I really am, thus diminishing my credibility. This problem is only compounded if I turn out to be the cc/tp.

If I assume you're a villager, isn't it highly likely that one of the players scanning you is the teacher's pet?

knives out
Old 02-19-2008, 04:19 PM   #821
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Just to have it for posterity's sake, Night 1

Clap scanned twice, 1 good, 1 bad
Pass scanned twice, 2 bad
Lathum scanned five times, 3 bad, 2 good
BK scanned 4 times, all 4 good
Chief Rum scanned twice, 2 good
nfg scanned once, 1 bad
DC scanned once, 1 bad
RendeR scanned once, 1 good

People with "true" scans

MikeVic, St. Cronin, jeheinz72: 1

Take all of this with a grain of salt, but I think it's going to be information that's helpful to keep a running tally of
Old 02-19-2008, 04:21 PM   #822
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

For the record, I'm completely eliminating factoring in any N0 results. Something is definitely weird with what happened there. So take the 2nd section as just an addendum for now, those are all "true" scans but were N0 scans.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:26 PM   #823
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfg22 View Post
Since I am most likely going dow at this point, I have one request kill Lathum tommorow when I come up clean. As of now I know I am clean. Lathum is getting the masses behind me over two words I said. Whatever, tommorow you will see.

Vote Lathum

I didn't even vote for you
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:27 PM   #824
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfg22 View Post
OK. Seriously. I have one scan on me, and from an unreliable source none the less. Lathum has 3 scans saying wolf, which looks good to me. He then convinces all of you, somehow that I am a wolf, so we all jump on that bandwagon. Can someone please layout why I am a wolf?

Please show me where I have done any convincing today you are a wolf?
Old 02-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #825
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

This statement right here is why I said I was screwed this morning.

Mob mentality
Old 02-19-2008, 04:33 PM   #826
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Just to have it for posterity's sake, Night 1

Clap scanned twice, 1 good, 1 bad
Pass scanned twice, 2 bad
Lathum scanned five times, 3 bad, 2 good
BK scanned 4 times, all 4 good
Chief Rum scanned twice, 2 good
nfg scanned once, 1 bad
DC scanned once, 1 bad
RendeR scanned once, 1 good

People with "true" scans

MikeVic, St. Cronin, jeheinz72: 1

Take all of this with a grain of salt, but I think it's going to be information that's helpful to keep a running tally of

What do you mean by "true" scans?
Old 02-19-2008, 04:34 PM   #827
st.cronin
General Manager

I think he means confirmed, those three players all claimed to have scanned grey.

knives out
Old 02-19-2008, 04:35 PM   #828
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I think he means confirmed, those three players all claimed to have scanned grey.

Exactly. Allegedly all 3 of us scanned Grey and got a result that he was Good and he ended up Good.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:35 PM   #829
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

ok, I get it. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:39 PM   #830
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Well, MikeVic scanned Grey and he came up good. He also scanned nfg22 and claims nfg came up wolf. If we want info on how accurate someone is that could be a good place to start.

Since I have to go to class in a little while and may be out until the deadline

UNVOTE DODGERCHICK
VOTE NFG22

I still think DC is guilty but this is somewhat of a self preservation move, all be it early.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:41 PM   #831
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Oh, and I find it an odd coincidence that even though there are votes for Pass and no lynch that DC and nfg22 are alligning to vote for me.

Are they worried I may be onto something?
Old 02-19-2008, 04:41 PM   #832
st.cronin
General Manager

Replace MikeVic with st.cronin and nfg22 with Passacaglia and you have the same exact argument.

knives out
Old 02-19-2008, 04:42 PM   #833
st.cronin
General Manager

dola, I'm a lot more suspicious of Pass and Barkeep than any of Lathum, nfg, and Dodgerchick.

knives out
Old 02-19-2008, 04:43 PM   #834
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Quote:

OK, but you can't use this logic AND also say that we aren't going to give any credit to N0 scans. I'm not saying you, Cronin, are specifically one of the ones that said that b/c I'm kind of in a rush so I don't have time to go back and search for that post...but I remember someone said that we shouldn't "count" N0 scans at all. I'm just saying the logic can't go both ways...

No idea who to vote for at this point, but I agree that we have to lynch someone tonight.
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:45 PM   #835
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Replace MikeVic with st.cronin and nfg22 with Passacaglia and you have the same exact argument.

I agree, but DC linked herself to nfg22 when she defended him day 1. I think from a pure WW aspect we find out more by lynching one of them.

I am fine if Pass is lynched since there were 2 positive wolf scans on him last night. Plus I know it has no bearing, but he has been a wolf alot lately and these things seem to go in streaks.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:45 PM   #836
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
dola, I'm a lot more suspicious of Pass and Barkeep than any of Lathum, nfg, and Dodgerchick.
You feel pass and I are linked or are suspicous of us separately?
Old 02-19-2008, 04:45 PM   #837
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl View Post
OK, but you can't use this logic AND also say that we aren't going to give any credit to N0 scans. I'm not saying you, Cronin, are specifically one of the ones that said that b/c I'm kind of in a rush so I don't have time to go back and search for that post...but I remember someone said that we shouldn't "count" N0 scans at all. I'm just saying the logic can't go both ways...

No idea who to vote for at this point, but I agree that we have to lynch someone tonight.

I am as leery as anybody of using n-0 results, I was just trying to clarify somebody else's argument.

knives out
Old 02-19-2008, 04:45 PM   #838
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

anyone have a vote count?
Old 02-19-2008, 04:49 PM   #839
MikeVic
Head Coach

I scanned clap, not nfg.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:50 PM   #840
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
You feel pass and I are linked or are suspicous of us separately?

Not linked. Day 1 Pass was pinging my radar for reasons I can't explain. 2/3 of his scans last night came back wolf.

As for you, I am actually hoping you are a wolf - otherwise I think we lose the teacher's pet tonight. Or, another possibility is that one of the wolves has an ability to distort scans in some way. I guess I'm just a little weirded out by your scan results last night.

knives out
Old 02-19-2008, 04:52 PM   #841
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Current vote total as of post #747:

nfg22 5 -- Pumpy Tudors(598), Bsak16(628) MikeVic (757) Clap (769)Lathum (830)
No Lynch 3 -- mauboy1(733), The Jackal(736) Sndvls (762)
Lathum 3 -- Dodgerchick(800) nfg22 (787) Barkeep (791)
Chief Rum 1 -- Passacaglia(636)
Dodgerchick 1 -- Jheinze (764)
Passacaglia 2 -- ntndeacon(738) StCronin (770)

No vote: RendeR, Chief Rum, saldana, oliegirl, Mr. Wednesday
Old 02-19-2008, 04:54 PM   #842
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Pumpy, right now the person you scanned as a wolf is in the lead. If you feel I am a better candidate then by all means change your vote, but don't change it just because other people are.

Like I said, I don't think it's a coincidence DC and nfg22 are alligning against me when they could easily have both voted for Pass.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #843
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I also find it interesting that all 3 votes for me came in the span of 13 posts.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #844
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

OK, I am off to my last class, not sure what else I can say. Hopefully I will be able to get on before the deadline in case I need to try and save myself.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:01 PM   #845
st.cronin
General Manager

There's still 5 people haven't voted, so this could go a lot of different ways.

knives out
Old 02-19-2008, 05:02 PM   #846
RendeR
Coordinator

This one is tough, there are 2 front runners and then there is the person that raises my hackles. I dunno who to vote for.

Do i vote lathum in the hopes of keeping the vote close and seeing if someone rushes to his rescue?

Do I vote NFG and basicaly hammer the nail in his coffin?

Do I vote Passacaglia because every time I read his posts my spidey-sense go BOING!??

I hate early votes.

More later.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:06 PM   #847
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl View Post

Agreed olie, I even added that disclaimer in the next post.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:06 PM   #848
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
that would leave a huge trail and why the risk? a positive scan won't really hust you.

It is pretty improbable, but not impossible that all 4 scans are wrong.

But isn't it almost as improbable that all 4 scans are right?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:07 PM   #849
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Well I'm off, my vote stays on DC for today.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:11 PM   #850
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
I changed my mind on that as I fleshed out the ruleset a bit further. It's mentioned somewhere later in the thread, but to clarify:

Neither the Teacher's Pet or Class Clown are aware of their identity. All they know is that they are students.

Thanks for letting us know!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote