Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-04-2008, 11:50 AM   #801
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Um.... Put it in even before the Patriots lost Lathum

Sorry, for some reason I didn't see it until after I posted. But I am very hungover.

Congrats on a truly great season.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:51 AM   #802
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Um.... Put it in even before the Patriots lost Lathum

dang Belichick wannabe, had conceded defeat even before it was really over

FM
Old 02-04-2008, 11:51 AM   #803
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Hung over, or still drunk? Congrats on the win.

not sure
Old 02-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #804
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola0- My wife just told me my father in law called me after the game and I was like " I can't f@#king believ the f$^king giants won the f@#king superbowl"
Old 02-04-2008, 11:53 AM   #805
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
A personal note. This was one of the best nights of my life. I was born and raised in New Jersey and my wife and I have relocated to Cincinnati. Giants football is one of the things that reminds me of home. My wife and I have been watching Giants games together since we met, it is one of "our" things to do. My best friend in the world, Saldana, and his wife drove 9 hours down and my sister in law from NYC flew in since yesterday was my wifes birthday. We were surrounded by loved ones and it was an amazing day.

Sounds like a very nice evening, got goosebumps simply reading about it.

Even while I'm really upset with the outcome, my 10yo son sat with me to watch the whole game and we talked about some finer points of the game, stuff he never used to care about before. Was a cool game if only for that...

FM
Old 02-04-2008, 11:53 AM   #806
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
dang Belichick wannabe, had conceded defeat even before it was really over

FM

(grabs a pair of tongs, and an electric drill and dares Froggie to stick out his tounge again)
Old 02-04-2008, 11:54 AM   #807
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- Another thought. Anyone who says the Pats lost this game isflat out wrong. The Giants won it. They took it to the Pats and hit them in the mouth over and over again.

I won't say the Pats were over confident but they definantly didn't expect the Giants to play the game they did.

Mercury morris is an ass, will he please just go away.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #808
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Lost in all this argument is the idiotic announcing team suggesting the Giants might punt it on their final drive. That was Maddenesque in its idiocy.

Oh hell yeah. That was horrid commentating.

+1 for you for reminding me a bout it.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:56 AM   #809
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I am now going to watch the game again.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:00 PM   #810
TreeInNewEngland
n00b

I just want to let everyone who was concerned know I made it through the night without being hurt. It was close at one point though. Tom Brady tried to throw a punch at me, but his offensive line collapsed and he was sacked by four Giants before he could get it off.
TreeInNewEngland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:01 PM   #811
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeInNewEngland View Post
I just want to let everyone who was concerned know I made it through the night without being hurt. It was close at one point though. Tom Brady tried to throw a punch at me, but his offensive line collapsed and he was sacked by four Giants before he could get it off.
lol
Old 02-04-2008, 12:06 PM   #812
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
(grabs a pair of tongs, and an electric drill and dares Froggie to stick out his tounge again)

most revealing thing is your career record in sig bets though. Are you gonna keep going at it until you win one, then retire on top?

FM
Old 02-04-2008, 12:07 PM   #813
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
Sounds like a very nice evening, got goosebumps simply reading about it.

Even while I'm really upset with the outcome, my 10yo son sat with me to watch the whole game and we talked about some finer points of the game, stuff he never used to care about before. Was a cool game if only for that...

FM

yeah, it was awesome
Old 02-04-2008, 12:08 PM   #814
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeInNewEngland View Post
Tom Brady tried to throw a punch at me, but his offensive line collapsed and he was sacked by four Giants before he could get it off.

You just should be glad Belichump didn't stick around to take a shot at you.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:09 PM   #815
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

another thought

I think we are better off without Shockey
Old 02-04-2008, 12:09 PM   #816
st.cronin
General Manager

One last note: Even though it ended badly, this was a fantastic year to be a Pats fan. I really enjoyed the ride.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:11 PM   #817
Kodos
Resident Alien

The ending made the rest of the ride well worth it.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:11 PM   #818
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
One last note: Even though it ended badly, this was a fantastic year to be a Pats fan. I really enjoyed the ride.

yeah.

Anyone who tries to discredit what the PAts did this year or take anything away from them needs to watch another sport.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:12 PM   #819
molson
General Manager

Quote:

A personal note. This was one of the best nights of my life. I was born and raised in New Jersey and my wife and I have relocated to Cincinnati. Giants football is one of the things that reminds me of home. My wife and I have been watching Giants games together since we met, it is one of "our" things to do. My best friend in the world, Saldana, and his wife drove 9 hours down and my sister in law from NYC flew in since yesterday was my wifes birthday. We were surrounded by loved ones and it was an amazing day.

That's very cool. I know a lot of Giants fans and was pretty psyched for them yesterday, which defenitely took the edge off the loss. It hurt MUCH less than the AFC Championship game last year.

Last edited by molson : 02-04-2008 at 12:13 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:13 PM   #820
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

agreed, although it probably made that one loss that much harder to swallow. Had they gone 15-1, then went into the playoffs and lost yesterday, it would not have been the same thing...

FM
Old 02-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #821
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think we are better off without Shockey

Agreed. Even in the absence of Vick, he was never going to be the answer at quarterback.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:15 PM   #822
Easy Mac

Was anyone else surprised Eli was only 10-20 with 120 yards and a pick after 3 quarters? His rating was like 44.

That's generally piss poor, but maybe it was just me, but I thought he played far better than his stats showed for the first 3 quarters.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:17 PM   #823
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The pick wasn't his fault at all
Old 02-04-2008, 12:21 PM   #824
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

It was a bit unlucky, but it also wasn't a very good throw. I like Eli, but I don't think he had an A+ game at all. C+ is more like it.

knives out
Old 02-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #825
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
It was a bit unlucky, but it also wasn't a very good throw. I like Eli, but I don't think he had an A+ game at all. C+ is more like it.

What would you grade Brady's game as?
Old 02-04-2008, 12:23 PM   #826
Easy Mac

Quote:

yeah. even so, you take away the pick and his rating was 65, still below average. I dunno, I just saw the statline when Fox put it up at the end of the game, and all I could think was, no way he played that poorly in the first 3 quarters.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:24 PM   #827
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old 02-04-2008, 12:24 PM   #828
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

F-

knives out
Old 02-04-2008, 12:27 PM   #829
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Quote:
+1
It was a great ride. I said to my wife before training camp started: "I have never been this excited about a team before". My excitement was well founded. I wish it ended better but wow, what a run. It was more than a year since the last Patriots loss.

If they had to lose, I'm glad it was to a deserving team.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:28 PM   #830
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Lets be fair about Eli.

He's not Trent Dilfer, Eli won the game last night in the 4th quarter
Old 02-04-2008, 12:28 PM   #831
molson
General Manager

Quote:

It was surreal. Between the various "controveries", they were an incredibly entertaining and likeable team. Watching Welker and Moss click with the offense overnight was a beautiful thing. They became larger than life in all avenues - obnoxious fans, obnoxious haters, obnoxious media - was there a team, ever, that generated more attention from all sides?

Their "tragic" end (depending on your perspective of course), actually makes them a more interesting story all around. While the loss (fairly) wipes out their legacy as any kind of real success, we're definitely going to remember them.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #832
molson
General Manager

Quote:
F-

That might be generous.

The Giants did a tremendous job pressuring, but I can't remember a Brady game with more shitty throws.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:49 PM   #833
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Lets be fair about Eli.

He's not Trent Dilfer, Eli won the game last night in the 4th quarter

Yes...exactly. he didnt just play QB on a team that happened to win...or turn around and hand the ball off to win. He directly led them down and made great throw after great throw to win it.

I'm happiest for Eli in all this...he finally got his chance to win it in the most daunting of circumstances, and he delivered. SB MVP to boot...it's hard not to be happy for the guy.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:55 PM   #834
Anthony
Banned

because he won as a NY sports figure, he will be praised for the rest of his career here. Even the NY Rangers still bring out the '94 Stanley Cup winning team when things are slow.

we'll eat you alive in NY if you can't handle the pressure. but deliver us a winner and you're golden for the rest of your life.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:56 PM   #835
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
because he won as a NY sports figure, he will be praised for the rest of his career here. Even the NY Rangers still bring out the '94 Stanley Cup winning team when things are slow.

we'll eat you alive in NY if you can't handle the pressure. but deliver us a winner and you're golden for the rest of your life.

So true, every word
Old 02-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #836
Easy Mac

Quote:
Joe Torre says hi.

He's not a real new yorker like eli
Old 02-04-2008, 01:00 PM   #837
molson
General Manager

Good Simmons article.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/080204

"One moment in the second quarter stood out: when the Pats blew an easy third-and-1 from their own 42. For the first three months of the season, back when they were the Big, Bad, Invincible Pats, that would have been two-down territory for them -- they would have thrown on third down and maybe even tried to make a big play. If they didn't get it, they would have banged it past the chain on the next play. This time? They played it safe, ran Maroney to the left side, lost two yards and quickly sent out the punt team while every Pats fan turned into the confused wife from "Airplane" who couldn't understand why her husband had ordered the second cup of coffee."

"Seriously, what else do you need to know about this game beyond that play and the 30-second loop of Brady getting pounded by various defensive linemen? The Giants played well enough to win, they were tougher, they were luckier and they wanted it just a little bit more. Now we live in a world that Tom Coughlin outcoached Bill Belichick in a Super Bowl, that Eli Manning outplayed Tom Brady in a Super Bowl, that a Belichick-era Patriots team lost a Super Bowl because they weren't tough enough, that the Ewing Theory has been replaced by the Tiki Theory. The Giants deserved to win. They were better. They peaked at the right time. And watching their fans celebrate afterward, a small part of me actually felt happy for them. Envious, even. It's one thing to win a championship ... it's another to win a championship like that. You can't possibly understand unless it happens to you."

"For the rest of eternity, I will never understand why the Patriots -- a team that broke all kinds of offensive records by attacking teams with an aggressive, run-and-shoot offense that thrived on audibles, checks and the intelligence of the quarterback and his receivers -- became passive in the single biggest game of the season. It's one thing to change styles because it's 20 degrees and windy outside and you're worried about throwing the ball. But indoors? Only on the last drive did the Patriots look like the Patriots. I will never understand what took so long. Ever. I will never understand it. I wasn't even that depressed after the game, just confused. What happened to the remarkable offensive juggernaut from the first three months of the season? Where did their arrogance go? What happened to their swagger? Did the never-ending attention and nonstop pressure eventually get to them? For most of Sunday's game, it seemed the Patriots were playing not to lose. And maybe they were"
Old 02-04-2008, 01:06 PM   #838
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Joe Torre says hi.

i hate the Yankees, but coming from a New Yorker:

bring Torre back in about 5 yrs, when he's out of managing, and the Yankees are celebrating the anniversary of the Torre dynasty, and everyone will forget the last couple years of his tenure here.

we, as New Yorkers, have an uncanny ability to forget the blemishes on your career and we'll always remember you as a winner if you can bring home a championship.

you think Eli is always gonna be loved and adored? no. 6 years from now, 8 years from now, whatever, at some point his skills will decline or he won't have a stellar, championship-calibre defense to back him up, but at some point he'll be run out of town or we'll call for his backup. SHIT, even diehard Packers fans were calling for Aaron Rogers to take over from Favre. it will happen. but, like with Torre, once Eli has moved on and then retired, he'll be brought onto the field during a Giants home game, maybe 2018, 2028, and we'll commemerate the 10th/20th anniversary of the Little Team That Could and the miracle of 2008.

when his name is announced, the roar will be deafening.

Last edited by Anthony : 02-04-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:12 PM   #839
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Acoupkle of more thoughts

The giants first drive was a thing of beauty.

I thought it was awesome the way Peyton was cheering for, and seemed genuily happy and excited fot Eli. I showed what a great relationship they have

Peyton showed more emotion watching his brother make plays than he did in his own Super Bowl win.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:18 PM   #840
Huckleberry
College Starter

Peyton was pretty clearly happier for Eli than he had been for himself last year, and he said as much after the game.

I think that a sizable chunk of the population of older brothers would be happier for their little brother than they would be for themselves in any championship situation. But I think it's even moreso in this particular situation. Last year's win wasn't a purely joyous victory for Peyton because of the "can't win the Super Bowl" crap he had to deal with for so long. So his win last year was a combination of joy and relief.

Watching his little brother win the Super Bowl was pure joy.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings

Last edited by Huckleberry : 02-04-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:26 PM   #841
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
New Yorkers certainly have cornered the market on sentimentality towards winning teams.

there aren't many other cities that love to chew up a player who can't perform. wasn't long ago that ARod was nearly suffering from a nervous breakdown cuz we were trying to get him out of NY.

with NY- if you can't perform on this big stage its the lowest of lows, but we lift you up higher than other cities can.

Joe Namath will never be mentioned as one of the all-time greats, but because he was a NY QB, doesn't matter. you'll always hear about Namath. same thing with Eli. he's this generation's Namath.

so yeah, every city remembers the good old days for championship teams, people clap and maybe shed a tear when they see their heroes on the field to commemerate a championship year, but not every city beats up their teams as hard as NY does. i can think of maybe 2 or 3 other cities that are has hard on their teams as NY is.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #842
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Skip Bayless may be the biggest moron ever. I feel stupider just for listning to him
Old 02-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #843
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Most watched Super Bowl of all time and the 2nd most watched American Television program ever.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/i...463616_15.html

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-04-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #844
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Skip Bayless may be the biggest moron ever. I feel stupider just for listning to him

I hear ya. I'm watching 1st and 10 and I wanna jump through the tv and whoop this guy Rob Parker, or whatever his name is, ass. He is adament that the Patriots blew it and the Giants didn't win. Just a thought, but maybe they "blew it" bc the Giants outplayed the Pats and had Brady on his ass half the game.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #845
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
That might be generous.

The Giants did a tremendous job pressuring, but I can't remember a Brady game with more shitty throws.

Can't help but point this out...

"in Super Bowl XXXVI against the Rams, Brady was 16-for-27 for 145 yards with one touchdown, and the offense scored 13 points. Today, he was 29-for-48 for 266 with one touchdown, and the offense scored 14 points. One time he was Super Bowl MVP, and the other time, he had a bad game."

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/200...audibles/6093/
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:40 PM   #846
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
I hear ya. I'm watching 1st and 10 and I wanna jump through the tv and whoop this guy Rob Parker, or whatever his name is, ass. He is adament that the Patriots blew it and the Giants didn't win. Just a thought, but maybe they "blew it" bc the Giants outplayed the Pats and had Brady on his ass half the game.

I'm watching the same thing.

I got pissed because Bayless said Eli made a bad throw on the play Samuel almost picked him, but I think it was obvious the receiver broke off his route.

And the other guy is also pissing me off. Anyone who says the Pats lost the game didn't watch it.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:41 PM   #847
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post

Yeah, both of them are pretty useless. Guess they needed a clown who could match Bayless.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:42 PM   #848
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Most watched Super Bowl of all time and the 2nd most watched American Television program ever.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/i...463616_15.html

It still amazes me that the final episode of MASH had 103 million people wach it.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #849
Warhammer
Pro Starter

It makes you think about how huge the MASH finale was.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:45 PM   #850
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
Can't help but point this out...

"in Super Bowl XXXVI against the Rams, Brady was 16-for-27 for 145 yards with one touchdown, and the offense scored 13 points. Today, he was 29-for-48 for 266 with one touchdown, and the offense scored 14 points. One time he was Super Bowl MVP, and the other time, he had a bad game."

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/200...audibles/6093/

Common thread in both games: A defensive player should have been given the MVP Award in both Super Bowls.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote