Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-19-2007, 10:20 AM   #801
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I would always chuckle when Barnaby would start talking trash, then immediately find the nearest teammate to run behind. I think he whispered in his teammate's ear to "pretend" to hold him back so he would still look tough.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:32 AM   #802
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Pens just signed Ty Conklin. Not big news in the grand scheme of things, but my cubemate is good friends with him and is even letting Ty crash at his place during training camp.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:47 AM   #803
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

maybe it's because he went to UNH, but I've always pulled for Conklin.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:57 AM   #804
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Either way, with Conklin or Dany Sabourin behind MA Fleury, looks like they are expecting Fleury to take on a Brodeur-like workload.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:26 PM   #805
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

HB, this if for you.
everyone else, you've been warned.
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...5/detail.html#
Old 07-20-2007, 11:45 AM   #806
Travis
Pro Rookie

Pitkanen signs a 1 year, $2.4 million deal.

Assuming this retains his RFA status for next year, not an awful deal, but I certainly would have preferred to see him get inked to a 4-5 year deal.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:07 PM   #807
Travis
Pro Rookie

Yashin back to Russia, no escape clause

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...v=cp&type=lgns

Quote:
(CP) - Alexei Yashin has gone home.

The Russian centre agreed to terms on a one-year contract with Locomotiv (Yaroslavl) of the Russian League on Friday, bolting the NHL after 12 seasons. Russian teams do not disclose financial terms but The Canadian Press confirmed that the deal does not include an out clause to return to the NHL next season.

"Alexei has a history with Yaroslavl, having played several games for them during the lockout," Todd Diamond, who represents Yashin along with Mark Gandler, told CP on Friday. "He feels comfortable with them, having a North American coach (Paul Gardner) and a former teammate, Randy Robitaille, being there as well next season."

Diamond said other NHL teams came calling - although it's believed with low-ball offers - but that Yaroslavl was relentless in its bid.

"They came after him very strongly," said Diamond. "He's going to go there and have a great year. . . . We'll see where we are 10 months from now.

"Right now the city is electric, everyone is excited, the arena will be packed and Alexei will play hard."

A call to Yashin was not immediately returned.

The 33-year-old was an unrestricted free agent after the New York Islanders bought out the remaining four years of his 10-year contract.

Yashin had 50 points (18-32) in 58 games last season, missing 24 games with a sprained knee, and falling out of favour with head coach Ted Nolan after a promising start to the season. He had no points in the Islanders' five-game playoff loss in the first round to the Buffalo Sabres.

He has 781 points (337-444) in 850 career regular-season games in the NHL. His best NHL season was 1998-99 in Ottawa when he had 94 points (44-50) in 82 games.

His departure means Ottawa's first two first-round picks in franchise history are no longer in the NHL, Yashin going second overall in the 1992 NHL entry draft and Alexandre Daigle - now playing in Davos, Switzerland - chosen first overall in 1993 by the Senators.

The Islanders signed Yashin to a US$87.5 million, 10-year deal in 2001 after acquiring from Ottawa in exchange for top defenceman Zdeno Chara, a first-round pick the Senators used to draft top-line centre Jason Spezza, and winger Bill Muckalt.

Last edited by Travis : 07-20-2007 at 01:11 PM.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:13 PM   #808
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Pitkanen signs a 1 year, $2.4 million deal.

Assuming this retains his RFA status for next year, not an awful deal, but I certainly would have preferred to see him get inked to a 4-5 year deal.

After the issues he had last year, I think it was smart of the Oilers to sign him just to 1 year. It gives him some motivation to play hard and work towards a better contract. Joni has a reputation for being a little lazy.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:24 PM   #809
Pyser
Pro Rookie

so thats where randy robitaille is
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 02:19 PM   #810
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
After the issues he had last year, I think it was smart of the Oilers to sign him just to 1 year. It gives him some motivation to play hard and work towards a better contract. Joni has a reputation for being a little lazy.

True enough, but "overpaying" him at an average of something like $3.5 per for 4 years could beat one year at $2.5, then looking at 3-4 years at $6.0 plus with the way the market is going. No idea if he would even consider a deal like that (assuming that is why the lower one year deal in the end), but one good year at this point and he's going to get paid, especially considering that we'll have to try and lock him up prior to the start of RFA.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:26 PM   #811
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Yashin be missed.

psych
Old 07-20-2007, 02:35 PM   #812
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
Yashin be missed.

psych

nice spelling.

sike!
Old 07-26-2007, 02:01 PM   #813
Travis
Pro Rookie

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=214708&hubname=

Quote:
The Edmonton Oilers are back at it again, tendering a five year, $21.5 million offer sheet to Anaheim Ducks Group II restricted free agent Dustin Penner.

The Ducks will have the right to match Edmonton's offer for Penner. The Oilers, meanwhile, will not comment on the offer until after Anaheim's decision.

Oilers general manager Kevin Lowe signed Buffalo Sabres forward Thomas Vanek to a seven-year, $50 million offer sheet in early July. The Sabres matched the offer to retain Vanek.

Penner played in all 82 last season, his first full season in the NHL. He put up 29 goals and 16 assists for 45 points.

The compensation scale is
$773,442 or below, none;
$773,442-$1,171,882, third-round pick;
$1,171,882-$2,343,765, second-round pick;
$2,343,765-$3,515,647, first- and third-round picks;
$3,515,647-$4,687,530, first-, second- and third-round picks;
$4,687,530-$5,859,412, two first-, one second- and one third-round pick;
$5,859,412-plus, four first-round picks.

Lowe at it again, can't imagine the Ducks won't match though.

Last edited by Travis : 07-26-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:09 PM   #814
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

I'm suprised it took this long.

Can't wait to see Burke's reaction...he won't be as polite as the Buffalo guys, that's for sure!!!
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:11 PM   #815
Coder
College Prospect

I'm having a hard time accepting the fact that a Canadian team is doing this. Don't they understand that they're shooting themselves in the foot by raising the average salaries? The NHLPA must be high fiving behind the scenes at Lowe's stupidity.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:14 PM   #816
Pyser
Pro Rookie

does anaheim have the cap room?

this could spell the end of nieds and selanne...
Old 07-26-2007, 02:23 PM   #817
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder View Post
I'm having a hard time accepting the fact that a Canadian team is doing this. Don't they understand that they're shooting themselves in the foot by raising the average salaries? The NHLPA must be high fiving behind the scenes at Lowe's stupidity.

And teams paying double that for 30-year old second liners like Briere and Drury aren't contributing at all...right??

Old 07-26-2007, 02:53 PM   #818
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Also remember that the Canadian dollar is at a high point right now, they'd be stupid not to spend while they can when it's almost the equivalent. If we drop back to 70 cents on the dollar in a year or two, they'll still be spending $45 million CAD, but that'll only equate to a $31.5 million USD payroll as opposed to the current day $42.9.

Given that any trade Lowe has been looking at has probably looked more like a hostage negotiation, this is one of the few routes left to pursue, and I'd rather see him take a chance and overpay for unproven talent than to lock up a declining player (not to mention any Smyth names) in a long term higher priced deal.

And talking about average salary, it's a check and balance system. There is only so much money to spend, so teams either spread it out with a lot of 3-4 million per year deals or have 1-2 6+ million dollar guys. The remaining market will dictate who can get what contracts based on what is already present on each team, so this may actually drive down some of the stupid contracts the older players are getting. Either way, for the first time in a long time the Oilers are in a position to spend and for the most part Lowe has approached it in a sensible way (building for the current and future, not blowing it on guys who will be useless compared to their pay in 2-3 years). This is likely his riskiest move, but he just doesn't have a lot of options left at this point.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:18 PM   #819
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Given that any trade Lowe has been looking at has probably looked more like a hostage negotiation, this is one of the few routes left to pursue, and I'd rather see him take a chance and overpay for unproven talent than to lock up a declining player (not to mention any Smyth names) in a long term higher priced deal.

You KNOW Lowe would happily pay 6, 6.5 million and give up a few draft picks to have that declining player on his roster right now.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:23 PM   #820
bbor
Pro Starter

If Lowe strikes out again i could see him getting fired very early into the season.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 03:27 PM   #821
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
If Lowe strikes out again i could see him getting fired very early into the season.

I hope not; I love having him work his magic in the NW
Old 07-26-2007, 03:36 PM   #822
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
Quote:
Also remember that the Canadian dollar is at a high point right now, they'd be stupid not to spend while they can when it's almost the equivalent. If we drop back to 70 cents on the dollar in a year or two, they'll still be spending $45 million CAD, but that'll only equate to a $31.5 million USD payroll as opposed to the current day $42.9.

Contracts are signed in USD. So if our payroll is $45 million USD, and we're paying $47 million CDN. If the dollar drops to 70 cents in a year, our payroll is now $56 million CDN.

With that being said, the Oilers are rolling in money. 7th in revenues, but near the bottom in payroll last year?

Not to mention the pressure on the EIG to spend after Katz's statement.
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 03:39 PM   #823
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
You KNOW Lowe would happily pay 6, 6.5 million and give up a few draft picks to have that declining player on his roster right now.

Highly doubt it. He was willing to take a hard line stance with Smyth because he wanted to avoid having too many years/too much money tied up in a guy who would not be productive for the length of his deal, and that's with a player that had huge popular support in the city and the dressing room. Given the moves he's made to this point as a GM, he's not just going to throw money at a problem to hope it goes away. I get the distinct impression that he'd rather suffer for a season and be in a position to have th resources to solve the problem properly than to handcuff himself down the road, even if it means his job.

Personally, I think he's well ahead of the curve on this one, partially by circumstance/necessity. In 2-3 years RFA offer sheets will be completely common place, it's more a question of the level of offer as most teams won't be able to afford to ship out multiple first rounders.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:40 PM   #824
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
And teams paying double that for 30-year old second liners like Briere and Drury aren't contributing at all...right??

That's a rather silly comparison.. from the perspective that Philly and New York are US-based and at least New York has a strong economy. It is NOT in Edmonton's best interest to drive the salaries up in the long run. I think it's ludicrous to spend 4.5 on a relatively raw player who has one season of medium success (46 points isn't much to write home about). The offer to Vanek was just horrible.

I'm not a Philly-fan or a Rangers-fan, but I am a fan of having Canadian NHL-teams. What Lowe is doing is just silly.. I understand your perpective johnny, as you're in Edmonton and I'm guessing you're an Oilers-fan, but seriously, this is NOT the way towards building a strong team. Things like this have a tendency to come back and bite you in the ass. (Lowe's ass, not yours ).

If Dustin Penner scores 46 points next year too, you'll have loads of guys on your team looking for a payraise..

Old 07-26-2007, 03:40 PM   #825
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
Quote:

Raising average salaries means nothing - teams only have so much money to spend in a cap world. Raising revenues is another thing...

And for most Canadian teams, money isn't an issue now that the dollars are nearly equal. Remember - Canadian teams play in front of some of the largest crowds, with the highest average ticket price, and have good TV numbers (meaning higher local TV contracts). With the dollars being nearly equal, this means those small market teams like the Oilers, are now 7th in total revenues.

Now, if the CDN dollar falls again...
Old 07-26-2007, 03:45 PM   #826
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
Raising average salaries means nothing - teams only have so much money to spend in a cap world. Raising revenues is another thing....

I disagree to the fullest.. raising the average salary increases what other players will be looking for. It increases what arbitration will reward other players. It increases who will be needing a 10% pay-raise as a qualifying offer rather than "the same".

If a 46-point player walks into arbitration next year after having earned 2.5 million, the arbitrator will be looking at the 4.3 that Penner is earning, while in fact the player was probably earning "about right".

Old 07-26-2007, 03:47 PM   #827
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Contracts are signed in USD. So if our payroll is $45 million USD, and we're paying $47 million CDN. If the dollar drops to 70 cents in a year, our payroll is now $56 million CDN.

With that being said, the Oilers are rolling in money. 7th in revenues, but near the bottom in payroll last year?

Not to mention the pressure on the EIG to spend after Katz's statement.

Contracts are in USD, budget is in CDN essentially. So if Lowe has $45 million CDN to work with and the dollar drops to 70 cents, it'll just be a firesale of those USD contracts to get to the CDN budget level.

Also remember our payroll last year ends up being lower due to the massive number of injuries accumulated (think it's when guys are put on the 7 day IR or if they are out for at least 14 days their salary doesn't count towards the cap for that time span or something to that effect). Definitely could be off on that point.

Another part of that is that the team is quite young so you're still in a lot of the bargain deals (especially given the salary trade off in the Pronger deal). The nice part going forward is that Roloson and Horcoff's contracts will be off the books in the next couple years, so giving Stoll, Smid, Greene, Gilbert, Pitkanen, Torres, Schremp, Pouliot, O'Marra and/or Nilsson big raises as they end their current deals (whoever plays well enough to earn them) isn't going to break the bank and the Oilers *should* be able to retain a lot of their growing talent rather than having a revolving door.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:50 PM   #828
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
If a 46-point player walks into arbitration next year after having earned 2.5 million, the arbitrator will be looking at the 4.3 that Penner is earning, while in fact the player was probably earning "about right".

Sure - but lets say that team doesn't have cap room for a 4.3 million per year player. So they let him walk after the season is over. If no other team has room for a 4.3 million per year player (last season - only St. Louis, Pittsburgh or Washington had 4.3 million or more of cap room available) , he's going to have to decide to take a serious pay cut.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:59 PM   #829
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
Sure - but lets say that team doesn't have cap room for a 4.3 million per year player. So they let him walk after the season is over. If no other team has room for a 4.3 million per year player (last season - only St. Louis, Pittsburgh or Washington had 4.3 million or more of cap room available) , he's going to have to decide to take a serious pay cut.

...and the guy will be an unrestricted free agent.. either way the team loses and the player wins. He'll be available on the open market and you know some bonehead GM will come and offer him outrageous sums again.

I'm sorry, I'm just pissed off at how they're spending money left and right after having complained about the previous CBA.. we're heading directly into that rampant salary-increase cycle again.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:07 PM   #830
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
If Dustin Penner scores 46 points next year too, you'll have loads of guys on your team looking for a payraise..

Salary Cap = Limited Budget = Fixed Average Salary
Old 07-26-2007, 06:34 PM   #831
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Thought this would have been in here by now...

Eric and Jordan Staal both arrested during Eric's bachelor party.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07207/804545-61.stm
Old 07-26-2007, 08:29 PM   #832
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Word is from some Ducks fans on the fan cruise a couple weeks ago, that this very possibility was brought up to Burke about Penner when he admitted they weren't making much headway with him in negotiations. And Burke's response was essentially, "If he does that, #@$! him. He isn't worth that."

Without the attitude, I tend to agree. Lowe will get what he wants--an overpaid player who likely isn't anywhere near ready for top line duty (although he will be paid like one).

All of this just confirms what I thought about Lowe when he screwed over the Comrie deal three years ago. He's a low-balling his own players, backstabbing individual, and a crappy GM to boot. He should get fired for lack of success, on top of his other "qualities".

As for Penner, I don't wish him ill, but I do think in the long run, moving to Edmonton will be a bad mistake for him.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:38 PM   #833
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Thought this would have been in here by now...

Eric and Jordan Staal both arrested during Eric's bachelor party.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07207/804545-61.stm

Eh, it's definitely one of those "boys will be boys"-type things, but it may not sit totally well with folks in Raleigh since some do remember that Steve Chiasson got killed in a single-car drunk-driving accident eight years ago.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:36 PM   #834
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
All of this just confirms what I thought about Lowe when he screwed over the Comrie deal three years ago. He's a low-balling his own players, backstabbing individual, and a crappy GM to boot. He should get fired for lack of success, on top of his other "qualities".

Comrie?? You think that debacle is Lowe's fault?? The kid thought he was worth superstar money after a 50 point season when he was tied for 5th on the team in scoring...yeah, that was Lowe's fault. And if Comrie isn't the "bad guy" why is he on his 4th team and only 26 years old?? Good hockey players aren't on their fourth team by that age.

Lowe isn't my favorite guy either, but after the season from hell (I don't hold Lowe responsible for all of it...a nasty run of injuries had a lot to do with it, too!) it's nice to see him try and make this team better any way he can.

Besides, you should be in love with Lowe...you guys wouldn't have been anywhere near the Stanley Cup Finals if it weren't for Pronger.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:11 AM   #835
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Comrie?? You think that debacle is Lowe's fault?? The kid thought he was worth superstar money after a 50 point season when he was tied for 5th on the team in scoring...yeah, that was Lowe's fault. And if Comrie isn't the "bad guy" why is he on his 4th team and only 26 years old?? Good hockey players aren't on their fourth team by that age.

Lowe isn't my favorite guy either, but after the season from hell (I don't hold Lowe responsible for all of it...a nasty run of injuries had a lot to do with it, too!) it's nice to see him try and make this team better any way he can.

Besides, you should be in love with Lowe...you guys wouldn't have been anywhere near the Stanley Cup Finals if it weren't for Pronger.

Lowe agreed to a deal to send Comrie to us in 2003-04, and gave us permission ot work out a contract with him. Then once we were set, we went back to Lowe to get the deal completed, and only then, he insists on Comrie's salary bonus coming back. While everyone tried to scramble to make it work, Lowe turns around and deals Comrie to Philly--and doesn't require the bonus to be resigned. I'm sorry, but how is that anything but the ultimate dick move? The guy is a freakin' turd. He deserves to be blackballed for his antics, and he's pretty damn crappy GM, too. Witness Smyth. Or needlessly trading away your captain for Pitkanen?

And Lowe wasn't responsible for us getting Pronger, Pronger was. Lowe wouldn't have done squat without Pronger forcing him to. Don't even try to give that jackhole credit for that one.

I'm not saying Comrie is some great player. But it was a dick move, and you know it. On top of that, the Oilers would have gotten Perry. Think they would do that now? You bet. See, not only a jerk, but stupid as fuck, too. Honestly can't believe you guys haven't run his ass out of town yet.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:49 AM   #836
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Hold on here...you are making it sound like Lowe was jerking Comrie and the Ducks around when, in fact, you don't have the whole story.

Rewind to Comrie's draft year...the Oilers grab him in the 3rd round out of Michigan. Back then, Comrie had the choice of staying at Michigan or joining a Junior team and becoming an unrestricted FA if the Oilers didn't sign him in time...courtesy of a loophole provided by an arbitrator. Comrie chose to ditch Michigan and joined Kootenay of the WHL. Comrie wouldn't sign prior to the season starting and right before the deadline, the 20-year old kid who had never played a game as a professional signed a 3 year deal worth nearly $10 million. Are you kidding me?? The hometown kid drafted in the 3rd round needed $3/year or else he was going to explore his free agent status?? Lowe bent over backwards for this kid because he was a local kid and did everything he could to get him in an Oilers' uniform...including WAY over paying him.

Fast forward to the final year of his contract...he allegedly has an affair with Salo's wife...alienates himself from the team and coaching staff...all of this after posting a team worst -18 and a measley 51 points. So, instead of trying to fix things with the team he decides he needs to get out of town and that the Oilers better trade him or he's going to sit at home and collect his paycheck without lifting a finger. Swell guy, for sure. By the way, he insists on making his unhappiness with being in Edmonton public and starts shooting off his mouth all over the local papers.

So, Lowe finds a potential suitor in Anaheim but isn't all that happy about dealing with a western team but they strike up a deal...but, nothing is signed. Boy, doesn't that sound familiar? The Flyers eventually swoop in and strike up what the Oilers think is a better deal and because Lowe wanted Comrie as far as away as possible dropped the financial clause just to get the deal done.

The Ducks just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. This was between a spoiled brat and a GM doing what was best for his team...getting rid of a cancer. Be thankful you didn't end up with him.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:25 PM   #837
bbor
Pro Starter

Warning....trade rumour.....do not take seriously

Leafs get Patrick Marleau(SJ) and PJ Axelson(Bos)

Sharks get Pavel Kubina(Tor), Glenn Murray(Bos), and Brad Devereau(Tor)

Bruins get Carlos Colaiacovo(Tor), Mike Grier(SJ), a 1st or 2nd round pick from SJ

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:41 PM   #838
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:

Bruins get Carlos Colaiacovo(Tor), Mike Grier(SJ), a 1st or 2nd round pick from SJ

That one came out of Toronto right? Possibly maybe through mr Strachan?

I don't root for any of the teams, but I don't see why San Jose wants to give up Marleau, Grier and a first/second round pick for those guys..

Old 07-27-2007, 09:56 PM   #839
bbor
Pro Starter

Comes from Eklund.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:03 AM   #840
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

gee, I don't really get why people don't watch hockey in the US.

NBC is replacing Bill Clement and Ray Ferraro with Pierre "Monster" McGuire and Mike "Worst GM. EVER" Milbury. Milbury might actually be an upgrade over Oiler Ray...but McGuire? Can they not hear the man speak?

As an added bonus, they are moving the studio to the game site (instead of Rockefeller Plaza) so that McGuire can continue to do his "Asshole Behind the Glass" segments during the game! Yay for us!
Old 07-28-2007, 09:08 AM   #841
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

McGuire is a JACKASS of the nth degree...I absolutely can't stand that ass clown.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:13 AM   #842
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

The fact that Mike Grier is included in the trade rumor essentially makes it crap, even for Eklund. Without Hannan, he's the best PK guy on the team. He also has a NTC and signed because he has family in the Bay, IIRC.

And what on earth are the Sharks going to do with Glen Murray? People have been trying to reunite him with Thornton the entire time. Uh, I think we'll stick with the younger, cheaper Cheechoo.

Last edited by bronconick : 07-28-2007 at 09:17 AM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:17 AM   #843
SteelerFan448
High School JV

Quote:
NBC is replacing Bill Clement

Why? He's one of the best when it comes to hockey.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:49 AM   #844
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

NBC is replacing Bill Clement and Ray Ferraro with Pierre "Monster" McGuire and Mike "Worst GM. EVER" Milbury. Milbury might actually be an upgrade over Oiler Ray...but McGuire? Can they not hear the man speak?

As an added bonus, they are moving the studio to the game site (instead of Rockefeller Plaza) so that McGuire can continue to do his "Asshole Behind the Glass" segments during the game! Yay for us!

So there is an outside chance Milbury beats McGuire with his own shoe?
Old 07-28-2007, 12:24 PM   #845
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

DOLA

Derek Roy, 6 years / $24M deal.

My opinion...a deal that looks maybe a little high right now, but if he can repeat last season's production for a consecutive year, looks like a bargain going forward.

Problem is if he's asked to be a #1 C in Buffalo. I'd say a very nice #2, but can he produce against opposing teams top pairing?
Old 07-28-2007, 02:19 PM   #846
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:

I don't know how it's possible, but I hate that trade for all three teams.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:32 PM   #847
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan448 View Post
Why? He's one of the best when it comes to hockey.

Nothing like stripping out the last vestiges of good from the show. Not that I really liked Clement all that much as a studio guy but he was still better than, well, the above. I still wish the Clement/Thorne ESPN team was still together. Even the Pang/Levy team was kindof fun for a non-serious game.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 07:13 PM   #848
GMO
Mascot

Redden almost went to Edmonton but he quashed it with his no-trade clause.
GMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:57 PM   #849
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMO View Post
Redden almost went to Edmonton but he quashed it with his no-trade clause.
I've said it before but will say it again -- Ottawa fans have turned on Redden big time. They want him gone, the sooner the better. It's actually kind of strage.

The interesting thing here is that Murray came out and admitted that he had a deal done and Redden blocked it. I can't remember a GM ever doing that publically.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:23 PM   #850
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
I've said it before but will say it again -- Ottawa fans have turned on Redden big time. They want him gone, the sooner the better. It's actually kind of strage.

The interesting thing here is that Murray came out and admitted that he had a deal done and Redden blocked it. I can't remember a GM ever doing that publically.

I'm guessing the first statement naturally leads to the second statement. If Redden is back in Ottawa against the fans wishes, at least Murray can say he tried.

As for Penner, I've only just got internet access in my new place so I hadn't heard about it. Smells of a desperation move by a guy who saw his stats from last year and didn't really watch any tape. Penner is a good player sure, but he's very one dimensional and I'm not really sure if he has much more room for improvement. Never going to be worth that kind of money. I'll be pissed with Burke if he does match the contract. Bertuzzi over Penner is a nice upgrade in the power forward area anyway.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote