Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-17-2006, 08:17 PM   #801
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
People said the same thing about Modano. No one punches Modano. Even if you want to. Really, really badly.

Heh heh...funny you should say that, because I have a friend who used to manage a bar in Dallas that Modano and other Stars would frequent--and he said each time he came in, Modano was a total prick.

So if the rumors are true, Kessel has two things in common with Modano.

My friend also hosted Michael Irvin's party train a few times and went out partying in his "posse" a time or two. He said that guy was always smiling and having a good time, no matter what anyone says.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:58 PM   #802
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

5 days and no posts? incorrigeable. is that a word?

Bruins are getting rid of the yellow third jerseys. I've never been a big fan of them, and, by some luck, even though I rarely go to B's games, they always seem to be wearing those fucking things. Ray Bourque's last game as a Bruin was in one of them. Not the worst 3rd jersey *cast withering glare at Nashville* but still not one that's going to be missed.

Instead, they'll wear a 60's throwback jersey against original 6 teams. First Buffalo announces a throwback as an alt and now Boston. I like this trend very much. I'll take a throwback over a mooterus almost any day.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:47 PM   #803
Karim
College Starter

Well, The Hockey News' Annual Fantasy Pool and preview magazine has predicted the Flames to win the Cup over Buffalo.

Is this a good thing?
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:29 PM   #804
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
5 days and no posts? incorrigeable. is that a word?

Bruins are getting rid of the yellow third jerseys. I've never been a big fan of them, and, by some luck, even though I rarely go to B's games, they always seem to be wearing those fucking things. Ray Bourque's last game as a Bruin was in one of them. Not the worst 3rd jersey *cast withering glare at Nashville* but still not one that's going to be missed.

Instead, they'll wear a 60's throwback jersey against original 6 teams. First Buffalo announces a throwback as an alt and now Boston. I like this trend very much. I'll take a throwback over a mooterus almost any day.

I'd love to see the Hawks go this route, too

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:59 PM   #805
klayman
College Benchwarmer

That's a great idea for all the teams, except the Canucks.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:02 PM   #806
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
That's a great idea for all the teams, except the Canucks.

Yeah, they need the downward skate (I loved that jersey)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-22-2006 at 10:02 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:58 PM   #807
bbor
Pro Starter

Bergeron 25 mil?

Harry where have you gone?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 06:35 AM   #808
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I just got my 06-07 THN "Yearbook", if anyone is interested on any of the tidbits on their team.

It includes team grades (only Carolina and Anaheim receiving A's / Nashville an A-), top 50 players (Kiprusoff #1), top 10 prospects per team, and all that good stuff.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 06:36 AM   #809
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Bergeron 25 mil?

Harry where have you gone?

makes Tanguay's money look a little less crazy. Bergeron is good...but he's how many years away from UFA? Seems like a lot of money. Bruins have $17 M tied up in 3 players for the next 3 years. Along with Murray and Zhamnov, they have 5 $4M+ players.

not the Bruins of old
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 06:45 AM   #810
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
makes Tanguay's money look a little less crazy. Bergeron is good...but he's how many years away from UFA? Seems like a lot of money. Bruins have $17 M tied up in 3 players for the next 3 years. Along with Murray and Zhamnov, they have 5 $4M+ players.

not the Bruins of old

Not sure on Zhamnov's deal, since it's an injury situation, how that would work. If he retires, isn't the cap hit erased?

But, they also got other players on cap friendly deals, like Brad Boyes.

If I am thinking straight...Bergeron will be locked up through his first year of free agency. He has 2 years in, plus the lockout year. Those 3, plus the 5 years on this deal, he's under contract through age 26, but would have been eligible for FA at 25, under the new CBA.

I think it's an OK deal. It's a little of an overpayment right now, but might seem like a great deal in 2 years. The Oilers locked up Hemsky for like $24M over 6, so it's on par with that deal.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 08-23-2006 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:39 PM   #811
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Rules question: When a player throws his stick in the defensive zone, it's a penalty shot.. Is the play blown dead immediately, or does it continue like a regular delayed penalty until the defensive team controls the puck?

The NHL.com rulebook isn't clear.

Interested in people's recollection of how this usually called, but would especially like a link if you can find one. Google was no help to me.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:43 PM   #812
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Rules question: When a player throws his stick in the defensive zone, it's a penalty shot.. Is the play blown dead immediately, or does it continue like a regular delayed penalty until the defensive team controls the puck?

Interested in people's recollection of how this usually called, but would especially like a link if you can find one. Google was no help to me.

What would Kerry Fraser call?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:46 PM   #813
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
What would Kerry Fraser call?
Trick question. We need more information, such as who is the player and is it his home rink?

Thanks for ruining my whole day, by the way.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:50 PM   #814
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm
I just got my 06-07 THN "Yearbook", if anyone is interested on any of the tidbits on their team.

I'd be curious to know who they listed as Atlanta's top 10 prospects.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:53 PM   #815
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Trick question. We need more information, such as who is the player and is it his home rink?

Thanks for ruining my whole day, by the way.

Spiced it up you mean.

As for your question, I can't remember at all, but it seems to make the most sense to me if you let the play continue...
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:01 PM   #816
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

If I recall correctly, I think the play continues like a regular delayed penalty. I know this happened in the playoffs, but I am not sure if I am confusing what happened when they actually made the call or what happened (no whistle) when the refs blew a call in the Edmonton/Wings series...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:02 PM   #817
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
I'd be curious to know who they listed as Atlanta's top 10 prospects.

They do not include the current pick in the rankings, so not sure where they'd place Little, but--

1) Ondrej Pavalec, G, Cape Breton - NHL Ready: 08-09
2) Boris Valabik, D, Kitchener - NHL Ready: 07-08
3) Alex Bourret, RW, Shawinigan - NHL Ready: 07-08
4) Jim Sharrow, D, Chicago (Wovles) - NHL Ready: 08-09
5) Nathan Oystrick, D, Chicago - NHL Ready: 07-08
6) Scott Lehman, D, St. Michael's - NHL Ready: 08-09
7) Tomas Pospisil, RW, Sarnia - NHL Ready: 08-09
8) Karl Stewart, RW, Chicago - NHL Ready: 07-08
9) Jordan Lavallee, LW, Quebec - NHL Ready: 08-09
10) Andrei Zubarev, D, Kazan - NHL Ready: 09-10

Obviously, printed prior to Stewart to Anaheim trade.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:41 PM   #818
bbor
Pro Starter

I would say the play continues until the offending team touches the puck.Just like any other delayed penalty.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:56 PM   #819
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

now that I think about it, wouldn't a penalty shot be the same? they don't whistle them down right away, right?
Old 08-24-2006, 06:41 PM   #820
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

That's what I figure as well. It wouldn't make sense to whistle the play immediately. Imagine a team having a 3-on-0, and the goalie just fires his stick out for an automatic stoppage.

But I can't find a source anywhere. Needless to say, this argument came up today and I want some evidence.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:06 PM   #821
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Wings just re-signed Johan Franzen to a 3 year deal. I figured this would happen. He wanted 2, the Wings wanted 4. Holland is typically pretty reasonable when it comes to contracts. Franzen was a good 4th line guy and played well in the playoffs. He was the last RFA the Wings needed to lock up.

Now, there's just that question of a first/second line winger. Will it be Dancin' Anson Carter? Or J.P. Dumont? I know there are some other guys out there like Jason Allison, Viktor Kozlov, Yanic Perrault, and Oleg Kvasha, but I don't see the Wings having too much interest in any of them and none of them really fit the need. The again, I'm not so sure Carter or Dumont do either, but at this point the Wings will take what they can get.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 08-25-2006, 04:16 PM   #822
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
The Wings just re-signed Johan Franzen to a 3 year deal. I figured this would happen. He wanted 2, the Wings wanted 4. Holland is typically pretty reasonable when it comes to contracts. Franzen was a good 4th line guy and played well in the playoffs. He was the last RFA the Wings needed to lock up.

Now, there's just that question of a first/second line winger. Will it be Dancin' Anson Carter? Or J.P. Dumont? I know there are some other guys out there like Jason Allison, Viktor Kozlov, Yanic Perrault, and Oleg Kvasha, but I don't see the Wings having too much interest in any of them and none of them really fit the need. The again, I'm not so sure Carter or Dumont do either, but at this point the Wings will take what they can get.

I remember reading something the other day indicating Holland wasn't very keen on Dumont, but I have no idea how true that is.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 02:44 PM   #823
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Dumont to Nashville!

Tanabe and Isbister to Carolina!
Old 08-29-2006, 02:51 PM   #824
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm
Tanabe and Isbister to Carolina!

2 Minute Penalty: Excessive use of exclamation points to describe minor transactions.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 08-29-2006 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:54 PM   #825
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
I remember reading something the other day indicating Holland wasn't very keen on Dumont, but I have no idea how true that is.

Apparently you read correctly. I wasn't very keen on him either, so I don't mind seeing him not sign here. It still leaves the Wings with a bit of a void up front. Holland has mentioned that he may just rely on guys like Samuelsson, Williams, and Holmstrom to pick up the slack. I don't know if either of those guys have the ability to score many more goals than they did last year. They all seemed pretty close to their goal-scoring ceiling last year. I hope I'm wrong on that.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:58 PM   #826
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
2 Minute Penalty: Excessive use of exclamation points to describe minor transactions.

You know...I accept that penalty.

I got carried away. The Dumont transaction I felt deserved an exclamation, and I carried that over to the Carolina signings.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:11 AM   #827
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Yzerman's 19 to be retired at the Joe on January 2

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=175805&hubname=
Old 09-05-2006, 10:07 AM   #828
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Keenan steps down as GM of the Panthers.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=176329&hubname=nhl
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:07 AM   #829
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Malkin in Pittsburgh today, set to sign a deal. News conference schedule for later today.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06248/719175-100.stm

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 09-05-2006 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Link added
Old 09-06-2006, 06:46 AM   #830
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Malkin in Pittsburgh today, set to sign a deal. News conference schedule for later today.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06248/719175-100.stm

An exclamation mark would've been appropriate here.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:48 AM   #831
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

So the Avs sign Svatos to a 1 year deal. I guess it makes sense. The Avs needed to get Svatos signed and it gives both the team and the player a year to see where they stand.

Ovechkin has told the Capitols that he's not ready for the "C" after hearing Glen Hanlon was about to make him captain. Impressive stuff from the youngster. I reall like Ovechkin. A great talent who seems to be an excellent team guy. I hope Washington can build some success around him.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:54 AM   #832
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
So the Avs sign Svatos to a 1 year deal. I guess it makes sense. The Avs needed to get Svatos signed and it gives both the team and the player a year to see where they stand.

Ovechkin has told the Capitols that he's not ready for the "C" after hearing Glen Hanlon was about to make him captain. Impressive stuff from the youngster. I reall like Ovechkin. A great talent who seems to be an excellent team guy. I hope Washington can build some success around him.

I think with Svatos is more a matter of just trying to reach a compromise than anything else. I don't think the two sides were on the same page during negotiations this summer. It's being reported that the deal is for $1.05 million. Giguere said "Along with Alex Ovechkin, Dion Phaneuf and Sidney Crosby, Svatos was a part of the outstanding and exciting new brand of NHL players that made their debut last year." Now, I like Svatos, and I think he can have a nice career if he can find a way to be in front of the net without getting killed, but he does not belong in the same sentence as those 3 guys.

Ovechkin? why can't he play for a team that I would have an interest in watching? Because he has very quickly become my favorite non-Av with both his on-ice play, and his off-ice demeanor. I mean who the hell do they name as captain? Brian Pothier? Zednick? Zubrus? yikes.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:19 AM   #833
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

any subscribers / regular readers of The Hockey News? I used to have a subscription and have been thinking of re-upping. feedback?
Old 09-06-2006, 10:26 AM   #834
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

throla, how did I miss Keenan stepping down in Florida? I guess he figured his work was done after getting rid of yet another franchise goalie?
Old 09-06-2006, 04:01 PM   #835
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
any subscribers / regular readers of The Hockey News? I used to have a subscription and have been thinking of re-upping. feedback?

Subscriber for about 4-5 years now. The articles aren't great, but good enough. I look forward to the team capsules and junior reports. Some of the features are really good, like the draft and season previews. Others not so much. If it makes a difference to you, you'll get the preview yearbook and draft preview issues in your subscription.

It is a pretty hefty price, about $55 for a US subscription. Weekly during the season, bi-weekly just prior and after the season , and monthly through the summer. I think it works out to like 42 issues or something.

So, for me, while the price is a little high, it's my one thing I splurge on for myself.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:07 PM   #836
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
Keenan steps down as GM of the Panthers.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=176329&hubname=nhl

This team is a fucking mess.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:14 PM   #837
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Subscriber for about 4-5 years now. The articles aren't great, but good enough. I look forward to the team capsules and junior reports. Some of the features are really good, like the draft and season previews. Others not so much. If it makes a difference to you, you'll get the preview yearbook and draft preview issues in your subscription.

It is a pretty hefty price, about $55 for a US subscription. Weekly during the season, bi-weekly just prior and after the season , and monthly through the summer. I think it works out to like 42 issues or something.

So, for me, while the price is a little high, it's my one thing I splurge on for myself.

thanks for the feedback - one concern of mine was how "fresh" the info was. when I subscribed before, it seemed that by the time I got the thing in the mail, all the articles were weeks old. granted, this was a good 10+ years ago, so I'm guessing things have improved since then (I think part of the issue was the slow-boat-to-china method of mailing them). my "accountant" already gave me the go-ahead, so I guess my mind is already made up.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:17 PM   #838
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
This team is a fucking mess.

and, as usual, worse off than before Keenan rode into town
Old 09-06-2006, 04:55 PM   #839
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think with Svatos is more a matter of just trying to reach a compromise than anything else. I don't think the two sides were on the same page during negotiations this summer. It's being reported that the deal is for $1.05 million. Giguere said "Along with Alex Ovechkin, Dion Phaneuf and Sidney Crosby, Svatos was a part of the outstanding and exciting new brand of NHL players that made their debut last year." Now, I like Svatos, and I think he can have a nice career if he can find a way to be in front of the net without getting killed, but he does not belong in the same sentence as those 3 guys.

Ovechkin? why can't he play for a team that I would have an interest in watching? Because he has very quickly become my favorite non-Av with both his on-ice play, and his off-ice demeanor. I mean who the hell do they name as captain? Brian Pothier? Zednick? Zubrus? yikes.

Definitely Pothier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2006, 05:35 PM   #840
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Forsberg hit the ice and participated in informal workouts with the Flyers. There is a good chance he'll play opening night.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:18 PM   #841
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
Forsberg hit the ice and participated in informal workouts with the Flyers. There is a good chance he'll play opening night.

...without unsigned Simon Gagne
Old 09-06-2006, 07:40 PM   #842
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
...without unsigned Simon Gagne

He'll sign. He only wants a 3 year deal worth $5 mil a year where the Flyers are offering $5 mil per for 4 or 5 years. Gagne said if he signes for more than 3 he wants more money per. They'll get it worked out I'm not too worried. Primeau is also expected to make a decision soon on his status for this year.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:46 PM   #843
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
thanks for the feedback - one concern of mine was how "fresh" the info was. when I subscribed before, it seemed that by the time I got the thing in the mail, all the articles were weeks old.

That was the reason I stopped subscribing. By the time it reached me, I had already heard/read everything and the rest of the articles/features weren't worth the price.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:49 PM   #844
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
He'll sign. He only wants a 3 year deal worth $5 mil a year where the Flyers are offering $5 mil per for 4 or 5 years. Gagne said if he signes for more than 3 he wants more money per. They'll get it worked out I'm not too worried. Primeau is also expected to make a decision soon on his status for this year.

not saying you're wrong, but TSN indicated that they are in agreement on length (3 years), but not in salary (Gagne wants 5+, Flyers are offering less). I do think he'll sign at some point, though.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:02 PM   #845
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I got my news from the Philly Inquirer which means TSN is probably right.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:12 AM   #846
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

great line from a THN article I just read online:

The only way out of two more years of Jose Theodore at $5 million per is if Isiah Thomas is permitted to make trades with GMs from other leagues.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:09 PM   #847
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Philly Inquirer just reported that Simon Gagne agreed to a 5 year deal with the Flyers...details to follow.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:58 PM   #848
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

5 years for 5.25 mil per
Old 09-12-2006, 08:44 AM   #849
bronconick
College Starter

Islanders sign Rick DiPietro to a 15 year, $67.5 million contract.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:45 AM   #850
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Islanders sign Rick DiPietro to a 15 year, $67.5 million contract.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha