Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-19-2006, 06:05 PM   #801
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
I remember as being more of a "good job, you're down ten men,' speech. I realize the point he was trying to make, but I don't buy it and I find it weak he'd try and make it in the first place. I don't think real fans of soccer would ever applaud that kind of behaviour. It's never acceptable if you believe in sportsmanship at all. I don't think you'd see Henry going down like a lump just because hist team was down a man.

Hey, look at American sports fans. It doesn't matter if you pitcher tried to vaseline up the ball, or corked his bat. It's amusing and then move on. We shrug our shoulders at 'unsportsmanlike conduct' all the time, as long as he was trying to help his team.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:17 PM   #802
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19
I stick with the thought that having the MLS start in the spring wil help against the other teams, especially Italy. Secretly I've already written it down as a 1-0 win for the USA. But then I see the names of Gibbs and O'Brien mentioned in the potential lineup; all I can do is shake my head and fear for a short stay in Germany for Team USA.

You don't understand The Bruce. He's capable of taking out-of-form players and getting the best 4 weeks of their career out of them. He's done it time and time again. Not just the World Cup -- in the Gold Cup he got Brad Davis to look amazing. He harnessed the best month of Friedel's career at just the right time. Likewise with O'Brien. He turned Chris Albright from an MLS reserve forward to a World Cup player.

Bruce will get the most out of his players. Whether that's good enough, who knows. But if O'Brien and Gibbs are playing, there's a damn good reason.

As far as the USA being "at best" 3rd in the group... Crapshoot simply doesn't seem to understand our concept.

We don't want to have multimillion dollar players. We want to have a group that can see any 11 players gel as a team more than any other squad in the World Cup. And with The Bruce we will do that. In the '80's and early '90's our talent and coaching was so poor that this wouldn't work. Now that we have just a little talent, and one of if not the best national team coach in the world, our system makes us more than competitive.

This isn't club football. It's not about having the most talent. We don't have it now, and we never will have it. We won't ever be in the top 10 in the world in terms of individual talent. But given our ability to play a team game we will continue to be successful in World Cups. I'm hesitant about this year given our tough draw, but suggesting that because we don't have players with as much $$ value as other countries makes us inferier is laughable.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:39 PM   #803
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
You don't understand The Bruce. He's capable of taking out-of-form players and getting the best 4 weeks of their career out of them. He's done it time and time again. Not just the World Cup -- in the Gold Cup he got Brad Davis to look amazing. He harnessed the best month of Friedel's career at just the right time. Likewise with O'Brien. He turned Chris Albright from an MLS reserve forward to a World Cup player.

Bruce will get the most out of his players. Whether that's good enough, who knows. But if O'Brien and Gibbs are playing, there's a damn good reason.

As far as the USA being "at best" 3rd in the group... Crapshoot simply doesn't seem to understand our concept.

We don't want to have multimillion dollar players. We want to have a group that can see any 11 players gel as a team more than any other squad in the World Cup. And with The Bruce we will do that. In the '80's and early '90's our talent and coaching was so poor that this wouldn't work. Now that we have just a little talent, and one of if not the best national team coach in the world, our system makes us more than competitive.

This isn't club football. It's not about having the most talent. We don't have it now, and we never will have it. We won't ever be in the top 10 in the world in terms of individual talent. But given our ability to play a team game we will continue to be successful in World Cups. I'm hesitant about this year given our tough draw, but suggesting that because we don't have players with as much $$ value as other countries makes us inferier is laughable.
If I didn't know you better, it'd applaud your brilliant sarcasm.

Where have you been the past 15 months? O'Brien and Gibbs have gone from injury to injury to injury. If your best coach in the world can magically turn an oft injured player into one who can peak at the right time, I'll applaud that, but I have to see it before I'll believe it. They combine for less than 10 league and cup games in that time span.

Your $$ argument is just plain silly. This is the biggest moment in all these players' careers. If you can make it to this level, you've proven to be wanting to be the best in the world and don't care about hardly being paid for a six week tournament. And thinking that 'The Bruce' is unique in picking players for more than just talent only shows you haven't done your research well. That's not how it has worked in the past and definately not how it works today.

I truely hope 'your team' won't show this kind of disrespect to their opponents, or else they'll be eaten alive, returning home after three big defeats. The way you're setting high expectations, this summer can only be a big disappointment for you.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:22 PM   #804
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
If I didn't know you better, it'd applaud your brilliant sarcasm.

Where have you been the past 15 months? O'Brien and Gibbs have gone from injury to injury to injury. If your best coach in the world can magically turn an oft injured player into one who can peak at the right time, I'll applaud that, but I have to see it before I'll believe it. They combine for less than 10 league and cup games in that time span.

Your $$ argument is just plain silly. This is the biggest moment in all these players' careers. If you can make it to this level, you've proven to be wanting to be the best in the world and don't care about hardly being paid for a six week tournament. And thinking that 'The Bruce' is unique in picking players for more than just talent only shows you haven't done your research well. That's not how it has worked in the past and definately not how it works today.

I truely hope 'your team' won't show this kind of disrespect to their opponents, or else they'll be eaten alive, returning home after three big defeats. The way you're setting high expectations, this summer can only be a big disappointment for you.

Apparantly you didn't read my post totally right (possibly my fault given that I rushed through typing it, which may have led to some grammar errors).

I am saying that a somewhat fair, if not crude, way of measuring a national team's talent is the dollar value of their individual players. If you put them all for sale on the transfer market, what would they fetch? The US might not even fetch what Essien alone would. Italy would get perhaps 10-20 times more than the USA.

With that said, the reason the USA has had undeniable success is because we play more like a team than other nations with few, though notable, exceptions (South Korea springs to mind).

O'Brien had huge injury problems prior to the last World Cup (granted, not nearly as bad as he has from 2002-2006), and put together, by far, the best three weeks of his life. I don't know how The Bruce did it last time, but I'll put my faith in him that he can do it again. O'Brien is the most talented American soccer player ever -- if he is 100% healthy ('game fit' not required), he MUST be on the field.

Gibbs is coming off pretty much the only injury of his career. He played extraordinarily well in a handful of games at the end of the Dutch season. He has been able to gain full favor with The Bruce with recent friendlies and US training camps. He's preparing for a move to the Premier League and will look to break immediately into the starting lineup. He is young and extremely athletic -- if there's a player that recent injuries shouldn't hamper, it's Gibbs.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:30 PM   #805
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFI-Fan
As far as the USA being "at best" 3rd in the group...

He said the US was at best the 3rd best team in the group. In that statement he didn't indicate that he thought the US would not finish in the 2nd spot (though he may find it unlikely). He even later indicated he was speaking about talent (and while a 'team' concept can do wonders, you can't just wave away a talent gap, and saying the US can win the group seems to do just that). It seems you are trying to read something in that statement that wasn't there.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:42 PM   #806
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I fully expect the U.S. to get it's ass fairly handed to it. I'd say third in the group is a reasonable expectation, anything more constitutes overachievement.

And those two sentences, plus about a buck, will get you a cup of coffee at MickeyD's.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:42 PM   #807
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
He said the US was at best the 3rd best team in the group. In that statement he didn't indicate that he thought the US would not finish in the 2nd spot (though he may find it unlikely). He even later indicated he was speaking about talent (and while a 'team' concept can do wonders, you can't just wave away a talent gap, and saying the US can win the group seems to do just that). It seems you are trying to read something in that statement that wasn't there.

I know what he said, and it's still a preposterous statement. What you've quoted from me was a typo on my part.

The USA National Team is not inferior to the Czechs or Italians (or any team other than Brazil for that matter) in the way that Crapshoot implied.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:46 PM   #808
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
I know what he said, and it's still a preposterous statement. What you've quoted from me was a typo on my part.

The USA National Team is not inferior to the Czechs or Italians (or any team other than Brazil for that matter) in the way that Crapshoot implied.
As a US fan, i think our top 11 can play with anyone in the world...win everytime, no...but i think we can go out and play with anyone and make it a game...but the difference between us and the italians to me is past our top 11. Their second team would dominate our second team. I havent studied the czech's enough to comment on their depth, only their top 11.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:53 AM   #809
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
I am saying that a somewhat fair, if not crude, way of measuring a national team's talent is the dollar value of their individual players. If you put them all for sale on the transfer market, what would they fetch? The US might not even fetch what Essien alone would. Italy would get perhaps 10-20 times more than the USA.
Then your point is that Freddy Adu had to be selected, because he's got the same value as the entire Team USA squad. You and I both know that the quality of a player is not determined by their price tag, or vice versa. It's depenadant on age, nationality, injury history, merchandise sales potential, the availablility of other options, dependant on how much money the buyer can bring in, how far in debt the seller is and based on the player's footballing skills. Especially with national teams, that's like the last thing you should look at. Past results should be taken into account mostly and based on that, the USA isn't looking good, although there's a case against Ghana and Italy too.

Quote:
With that said, the reason the USA has had undeniable success is because we play more like a team than other nations with few, though notable, exceptions (South Korea springs to mind).
If you call one good month in the past eight years undeniable success, then I agree with you. Just like with South Korea. There's no way I'm going to expect Korea to go deap into the tournament, although, given their draw, they have a relative easy schedule all the way to the quarterfinals, especially if Spain pulls an old fashioned bad-in-big-tournaments.

Quote:
O'Brien had huge injury problems prior to the last World Cup (granted, not nearly as bad as he has from 2002-2006), and put together, by far, the best three weeks of his life. I don't know how The Bruce did it last time, but I'll put my faith in him that he can do it again. O'Brien is the most talented American soccer player ever -- if he is 100% healthy ('game fit' not required), he MUST be on the field.
O'Brien was one of the reasons why I rooted for the USA back in 2002, but since then, he's been hurt and hurt and hurt. I hope he can back to his old form, when he was healthy he was an above average player in the Eredivisie. But right now I'm skeptic (realistic?) about his chances.

Quote:
Gibbs is coming off pretty much the only injury of his career. He played extraordinarily well in a handful of games at the end of the Dutch season. He has been able to gain full favor with The Bruce with recent friendlies and US training camps. He's preparing for a move to the Premier League and will look to break immediately into the starting lineup. He is young and extremely athletic -- if there's a player that recent injuries shouldn't hamper, it's Gibbs.
He's been out of football for 10 months, that ain't peanuts. Your 'extraordinarily well' can be down graded to one good performance in five appearances. Look, I'm not trying to say he's a bad player, he might as well have been the most in-form player of ADO Den Haag at that time, but he's coming back for a long absence. Going from Feyenoord to Charlton Athletic ain't a move forward, although it's probably going to be a classic step back to move two steps forward after that one.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:45 AM   #810
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Then your point is that Freddy Adu had to be selected, because he's got the same value as the entire Team USA squad. You and I both know that the quality of a player is not determined by their price tag, or vice versa. It's depenadant on age, nationality, injury history, merchandise sales potential, the availablility of other options, dependant on how much money the buyer can bring in, how far in debt the seller is and based on the player's footballing skills. Especially with national teams, that's like the last thing you should look at. Past results should be taken into account mostly and based on that, the USA isn't looking good, although there's a case against Ghana and Italy too.

Look, you simply don't understand what I'm saying. I'll break it down a little more.

1) Assign each player on the national team a transfer market dollar value
2) Add all these up
3) Get a very, very rough estimate of the talent on that team.

It's not perfect, but it is what it is. In this case, the USA is probably 20 or more times lower than Italy & Ceska. We're certainly lower than Ghana, maybe by less of a margin.

Now, it seems like Crapshoot (prototypical Eurosnob), wants to use this as a criteria for evaluating team quality. I'm saying it simply doesn't work and he couldn't be more wrong.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:37 PM   #811
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Look, you simply don't understand what I'm saying.

bla bla bla

(prototypical Eurosnob)

bla bla bla
I understand you perfectly well: You don't have any arguments and instead pull your Eurosnob card.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:52 PM   #812
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
I understand you perfectly well: You don't have any arguments and instead pull your Eurosnob card.

I've spent 3 or 4 posts very clearly articulating my arguments which you still have twisted and misrepresented.

Now, you choose to outright ignore them.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:22 PM   #813
AlexB
Pro Starter

I love it when you guys talk Team USA - this is going to add a lot of extra spice to the WC
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:52 PM   #814
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Dear god, take off your rose-tinted glasses. Does the US have the talent level of either the Cezchs or the Italians ? No - its not even close. The Italian 2nd 11 is probably a better team than US first 11. None of this means the US doesn't have a chance - it simply means that anyone who goes in thinking the US is favored is smoking something strong.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 05-20-2006 at 04:52 PM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:53 PM   #815
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Look, you simply don't understand what I'm saying. I'll break it down a little more.

1) Assign each player on the national team a transfer market dollar value
2) Add all these up
3) Get a very, very rough estimate of the talent on that team.

It's not perfect, but it is what it is. In this case, the USA is probably 20 or more times lower than Italy & Ceska. We're certainly lower than Ghana, maybe by less of a margin.

Now, it seems like Crapshoot (prototypical Eurosnob), wants to use this as a criteria for evaluating team quality. I'm saying it simply doesn't work and he couldn't be more wrong.

No, you're an idiot who doesn't know any football, and is the stereotypical ugly American who talks shit about things he doesn't understand. And for what its worth, I'm not fucking European. Nice try.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:02 PM   #816
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

In fact,
lets look at a probable Italian lineup, assuming Lippi sticks with his favored 4-3-1-2. At the back, you have Buffon, who's one of the 5 best goalkeepers in the world (and yes, this means he is better then Keller). In defense, you go Zambrotta, Nesta, Cannovaro, and either Oddo or Zaccardo - certainly, someone with extreme pace might give this line some trouble. IN midfield, you have Daniel De Rossi (soon to be starring at Juventus, Madrid, or Man U) with Gattuso and Pilro, with Perrotta or Camorenesi on the bench. Totti goes in the hole tucked behind the strikers. Up front, you have Toni and Iaquinta - to say nothing of Inzaghi and Del Piero on the bench. Now, you probably know nothing about half these players - but that is some top level talent, and that's the team Lippi has spent a couple of years developing - they could probably throw bigger names out there (Vieri, though he injured), but its pretty impressive.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:24 PM   #817
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
No, you're an idiot who doesn't know any football, and is the stereotypical ugly American who talks shit about things he doesn't understand. And for what its worth, I'm not fucking European. Nice try.

Being European isn't a prerequisite for being a Eurosnob.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:57 PM   #818
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Being European isn't a prerequisite for being a Eurosnob.

I'd rather be a eurosnob than an ignorant American. To say the US team has even close to the talent of Italy or Czech Republic squads is utterly, batshit crazy! Note: THAT IS NOT SAYING THE US WON'T GO FORWARD. They may indeed get lucky and do so. However, the talent is not there for the US to be favored or to be considered one of the top 2 squads in the group. Now, if you want to say the 'team' outlook of the US squad will allow them to play beyond their talent and, may, with luck get them into the top 2, that is an entirely different story.

I think you need to stop spending time at Bigsoccer since you believe the US has the talent level of Italy or Czech Republic and like to bandy around 'eurosnob' like you think it is some sort of major insult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
In fact,
lets look at a probable Italian lineup, assuming Lippi sticks with his favored 4-3-1-2. At the back, you have Buffon, who's one of the 5 best goalkeepers in the world (and yes, this means he is better then Keller). In defense, you go Zambrotta, Nesta, Cannovaro, and either Oddo or Zaccardo - certainly, someone with extreme pace might give this line some trouble. IN midfield, you have Daniel De Rossi (soon to be starring at Juventus, Madrid, or Man U) with Gattuso and Pilro, with Perrotta or Camorenesi on the bench. Totti goes in the hole tucked behind the strikers. Up front, you have Toni and Iaquinta - to say nothing of Inzaghi and Del Piero on the bench. Now, you probably know nothing about half these players - but that is some top level talent, and that's the team Lippi has spent a couple of years developing - they could probably throw bigger names out there (Vieri, though he injured), but its pretty impressive.

You don't even have to go that far, IMO. Guiseppi Rossi who is in the ManU reserves is a dual national. He can pick Italy or the US to represent. He'd basically walk onto the starting lineup for the US team. Italy doesn't even invite him to the U-20 team (though there is some Serie A bias there, I admit).

That all being said, I think the US has a chance at finishing 2nd and even tying, if not beating, Italy... but I'm not going to delude myself by thinking it is very high chance. I hope they can tie Italy or Czech and beat Ghana, but even that may not lead to the US going through.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:59 PM   #819
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Ok, why do people think I said the US has more talent than Italy or Ceska?

I've said EXACTLY the opposite over and over again on this page of the thread.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:13 PM   #820
AlexB
Pro Starter

The one area RPI has let himself down in is his statement that the USA will continue to be succesful in WCs - lets be honest, this phrase should be followed with a qualifier, such as compared to expectations, etc.

Yes USA beat England in 1950, yes they reached the QF in 2002, being successful in WC means winning regularly - given this USA haven't been successful (and no, neither have England), and as such cannot continue to be somthinng that they haven't started yet.

That said, RPI is right in as much as his argument has been misprepresented in this thread - at the same time if the USA were to reach the 2nd round it would be an achievement. Despite the world ranking, most teams in the top 20 would fancy their chances against USA. Certainly if England, for example, (#10) were to meet USA (#5), there would be a national outcry similar to that of 1950 if we didn't win

Last edited by AlexB : 05-20-2006 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:23 PM   #821
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts
Certainly if England, for example, (#10) were to meet USA (#5), there would be a national outcry similar to that of 1950 if we didn't win

That's because they are Eurosnobs.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 06:27 PM   #822
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

By the way, here's my argument one more time:

The USA has WAY less talent than Italy and Ceska (and possibly Ghana).

We play as a team WAY better than any of them.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:50 PM   #823
AlexB
Pro Starter

RPI - I hear your argument: FWIW I think it's a decent one, look at Greece two years ago for example. However, history will also tell you the wins for workmanlike teams are outweighed by those of talented teams...
Old 05-20-2006, 06:52 PM   #824
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
RPI - I hear your argument: FWIW I think it's a decent one, look at Greece two years ago for example. However, history will also tell you the wins for workmanlike teams are outweighed by those of talented teams...

I agree -- certainly, we would get laughed off the field against Brazil.

Italy and Ceska should be interesting because they are about as high of a level team that "excellent teamwork" might be effective against.

I guess we''ll just have to watch to find out.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:58 PM   #825
Critch
lolzcat

Is there any actual proof of this "Superiour teamwork" theory? Because looking back at the US's record against European teams in World Cups, and looking at even challenge matches over the last 6 years, the record is pretty poor.

Last edited by Critch : 05-20-2006 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:00 PM   #826
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
I agree -- certainly, we would get laughed off the field against Brazil.

Italy and Ceska should be interesting because they are about as high of a level team that "excellent teamwork" might be effective against.

I guess we''ll just have to watch to find out.

Indeed - the beauty of the game I would guess though that of the top 20, only Mexico would be pissed about being drawn against USA in a knockout tie, as you seem to have a good record against them. I think every other country would fancy their chances
Old 05-20-2006, 07:04 PM   #827
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
I've spent 3 or 4 posts very clearly articulating my arguments which you still have twisted and misrepresented.

Now, you choose to outright ignore them.
You chose to use that stupid word, again (and it really doesn't matter whether it was towards me or someone else). I PMed you about it a before, but YOU chose to not reply. Not me. I know it's just a message board on the internet, but I also come here to talk about soccer, learn about US soccer and exchange thoughts about the upcoming tournament. You show up and can't use common sense and instead use your foul mouth. To me that's end of discussion.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:05 PM   #828
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
Is there any actual proof of this "Superiour teamwork" theory? Because looking back at the US's record against European teams in World Cups, and looking at even challenge matches over the last 6 years, the record is pretty poor.

There are examples of teamwork working (from my knowledge, recently Greece, Bolton, hell, even my team Leicester going back a few more years)

But yes, Team USA's record against the European powers is pretty horrible - IIRC it's along the lines of 0-9, and 4-26 goals for/against. But quoting this destoys the fun in egging RPI along
Old 05-20-2006, 07:11 PM   #829
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
There are examples of teamwork working (from my knowledge, recently Greece, Bolton, hell, even my team Leicester going back a few more years)

But yes, Team USA's record against the European powers is pretty horrible - IIRC it's along the lines of 0-9, and 4-26 goals for/against. But quoting this destoys the fun in egging RPI along

Yes, I was meaning proof of the US having superiour teamwork. Greece show that anything can happen in a tournament. (Almost anything, Trinidad and Tobago suck, they're going straight home.)
Old 05-20-2006, 08:56 PM   #830
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

RPI, why do you use Ceska for the Czech Republic but not Italia for Italy? Get some consistency man!
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 10:57 PM   #831
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ok, why do people think I said the US has more talent than Italy or Ceska?

Because you've blasted Crapshoot for saying exactly that.

Now if you thought he said something different, that isn't his fault.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:12 AM   #832
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Because you've blasted Crapshoot for saying exactly that.

Now if you thought he said something different, that isn't his fault.

I would say call him on being inconsistent in his argument, then, not accuse him of saying something he didn't. In fact, I remember him makign the argument that all three teams in the U.S.'s group might have much better talent than the U.S. (and I'm not talking about just the post a few posts up from this one).

I don't know that RPI should be throwing around "Eurosnob" (or that anyone should be accusing him of being stereotypical ugly American, which, BTW, insults me, among others I am sure). Nor am I sure his argument is all that solid.

That said, he is dead on that what he has been trying to say has been misrepresented and twisted around several times by those arguing against him.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 04:52 AM   #833
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
That said, he is dead on that what he has been trying to say has been misrepresented and twisted around several times by those arguing against him.
Then it's a pot-kettle situation (which I don't think it is). I disagree with that I twisted his words, whereas he's been twisting my words for months. He's been accusing me of anti-American sentiments every time I try to mingle in the discussion about team USA. He and I go way back with talking about soccer, but what he's been showing the past few months doesn't even closely resemble the exchange of knowledge we had years back. But right now, I'm done with it. Throwing his favorite Euro**** word around, to me was that last straw.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:25 AM   #834
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Then it's a pot-kettle situation (which I don't think it is). I disagree with that I twisted his words, whereas he's been twisting my words for months. He's been accusing me of anti-American sentiments every time I try to mingle in the discussion about team USA. He and I go way back with talking about soccer, but what he's been showing the past few months doesn't even closely resemble the exchange of knowledge we had years back. But right now, I'm done with it. Throwing his favorite Euro**** word around, to me was that last straw.

Hmm...well, I can't speak to how the two of you have related over the past few months. I can only speak to what I read in the past few days of posts, most of which I read for the first time tonight.

And when I say twisting/misrepresenting, that is aimed at several individuals, not just yourself, and I don't believe any of it is malicious or intentional on anyone's parts. I just think people need to read his posts a little more carefully before responding.

Eventually, his main point seemed to finally be understood (that the team concept the US national team has in place elevates its game to higher than the sum--whatever value you use--of its parts and thus competitive with the Italy's and Czech Republics of the world). Whether or not that is true I leave to people who follow the game even more closely than I do (which is decent for an American, but nowhere near to the level a truly dedicated fan would).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 09:34 AM   #835
Flasch186
Coordinator

BTW maybe Im a little late but who was the ref for the UEFA championship game? IS that typical for him?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 09:55 AM   #836
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Goddamn, the Revs took the first 25 minutes of the game off againt FC Dallas, and they got hided for it, 4-0. :/
Old 05-21-2006, 10:21 AM   #837
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood
RPI, why do you use Ceska for the Czech Republic but not Italia for Italy? Get some consistency man!

Because I like using one word instead of "Czech Republic", and somehow doing "Ceska" justifies that for me.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:11 AM   #838
Critch
lolzcat

For the 99.9% of you who don't have Setanta you've just missed a good, if one-sided, playoff game to decide who gets the last promotion place to the English Premier League. And an American scored the first goal too!

It's going to be tough for Watford next year, but good luck to them. I'm sure their fans will enjoy being back in the top division even if they are favorites to go straight back down.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:53 AM   #839
Critch
lolzcat

Dola...

Steven Gerrard says to look out for a darkhorse to challenge for the World Cup.

"You also have to look out for teams such as Denmark, ourselves and Germany"
Old 05-21-2006, 11:56 AM   #840
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Because I like using one word instead of "Czech Republic", and somehow doing "Ceska" justifies that for me.

Well you should be using either Czechia (English) or Cesko (Czech).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_o...Czech_Republic

Here to help.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 12:00 PM   #841
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum

I don't know that RPI should be throwing around "Eurosnob" (or that anyone should be accusing him of being stereotypical ugly American, which, BTW, insults me, among others I am sure). Nor am I sure his argument is all that solid.

FWIW, I don't think anyone else here neccessarily fits into that description - but RPI fan has demonstrated no knowledge of football outside the US team - your Boro obsession shows that's not a problem for you.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:15 PM   #842
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Dola...

Steven Gerrard says to look out for a darkhorse to challenge for the World Cup.

"You also have to look out for teams such as Denmark, ourselves and Germany"

Isn't everyone that's not Brazil a darkhorse?
Old 05-21-2006, 12:30 PM   #843
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Isn't everyone that's not Brazil a darkhorse?

If he's including Germany and England as darkhorses, seems like that's what he's going for.

It's the fact that he picked Denmark, despite them not qualifying, that is the main talking point though
Old 05-21-2006, 01:22 PM   #844
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If he's including Germany and England as darkhorses, seems like that's what he's going for.

It's the fact that he picked Denmark, despite them not qualifying, that is the main talking point though

Yeah, he's on top of the ball .

If Denmark did manage to somehow win, then, man, that'd be the greatest upset of all time!
Old 05-21-2006, 01:24 PM   #845
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

hey they already won one international tournament they failed to qualify for.. what's a 2nd?
Old 05-21-2006, 01:25 PM   #846
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Well, In 1992, Denmark didn't qualify for Euro 1992. However, when Yugoslavia was kicked out, they came in, and won the whole tournament. You never know what might happen.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 05-21-2006 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:26 PM   #847
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

ha Beat ya!
Old 05-21-2006, 01:52 PM   #848
Critch
lolzcat

It was Ukraine and Turkey that finished above Denmark. Is there any likelyhood of them both descending into civil war in the next three weeks to let in Denmark? I suppose they could declare war on each other, that might work but seems unlikely too.

So I'll carry on thinking Gerrard predicted Denmark because he's stupid and all those white Northern Europeans look alike to him
Old 05-21-2006, 01:53 PM   #849
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Turkey didn't qualify this go around... and are behind Norway in case one of the Euro countries gets booted.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:59 PM   #850
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Turkey didn't qualify this go around... and are behind Norway in case one of the Euro countries gets booted.

It was Ukraine and Turkey that finished above Denmark in their group, so I'd guess Turkey would get the place if Ukraine withdrew. That's why I added Turkey to the list, not because I don't know the teams that qualified like what Gerrard doesnt.

No idea what wrinkles the playoff game losers would add, but it's pretty unlikely at this late stage so I guess it's not worth looking into