Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-07-2006, 12:55 PM   #801
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman
Pretty sure he's asking about OOTP2006 not, ITP

Ahh, crap. My bad. I didn't even look ... just saw demo and linked it.

Well, it should be out today anyways.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:59 PM   #802
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Poor Davis just isn't going to be getting nearly as many chances to play anymore.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:10 PM   #803
Ramzavail
College Starter

You think OOTP2k6 is bad, try ITP.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:12 PM   #804
SunDevil
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail
You think OOTP2k6 is bad, try ITP.

That sounds like a perfect marketing slogan.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:56 PM   #805
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
Yep, I don't expect everything to be fixed with this patch (and I would be surprised if a few bugs aren't introduced with all those fixes), but for some reason the inability of the AI to recognize value in veterans just because they have large contracts annoys me more than just about anything else. I was hoping it would make it into the first patch.

Did anybody report this in ootp tech forum?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:00 PM   #806
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
yes
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:18 PM   #807
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
What's the deal, did the spelling bug finally get fixed in jbmagic?
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:45 PM   #808
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

No everyone got together and decided not report this one. Weren't you at the meeting?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:51 PM   #809
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

People on that board are going nuts. It's as if they sat at home all day, called off work and are waiting for the patch.

You think after the hell are getting when they released the game, that they don't want to suck every minute out of June 7th before releasing the first patch?
Old 06-07-2006, 02:54 PM   #810
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
People on that board are going nuts. It's as if they sat at home all day, called off work and are waiting for the patch.

You think after the hell are getting when they released the game, that they don't want to suck every minute out of June 7th before releasing the first patch?

Isnt' it like 10:00 in Europe right now? Sounds like they won't have to wait too much longer (or SI will have to post an announcement).
Old 06-07-2006, 03:15 PM   #811
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

If I were them, June 7th could mean June 7th in Hawaii, so long as its still June 7th somewhere.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:15 PM   #812
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Dola --

I guess I forgot about the Europeans who play the game. I bet the Japanese and Australian OOTP contigent are pissed.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:16 PM   #813
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

It's up

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=122555

Last edited by Young Drachma : 06-07-2006 at 03:16 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:18 PM   #814
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

And the try and buy is good for six months in the game. Not six months IRL. At least, that's how it reads there anyway.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 06-07-2006 at 03:19 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:38 PM   #815
John Galt
Pro Starter

I downloaded the demo, hit "trial," but I get some weird error about not being able to find the skin font. As a result, none of the menus or screens have words on them. Strange. On the computer I'm on, I can't uninstall and then reinstall (I can only delete the directory), so I'm a bit stumped.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:51 PM   #816
dervack
College Prospect

You only get 14 days to try it. I guess not bad, but if I sim out every game, it'll be hard for me to get to the 6-month as Duffy originally said.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:56 PM   #817
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack
You only get 14 days to try it. I guess not bad, but if I sim out every game, it'll be hard for me to get to the 6-month as Duffy originally said.

Actually that pretty much sucks. They should allow 6 months of gametime regardless of how long it takes you to play it. I mean it could take 14 days to figure out the interface.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:57 PM   #818
dervack
College Prospect

It installed ok for me.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:58 PM   #819
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
Actually that pretty much sucks. They should allow 6 months of gametime regardless of how long it takes you to play it. I mean it could take 14 days to figure out the interface.
I agree, I was disappointed by that. I wonder if it's 14 days unlimited or 14 days up to 6 months of game time. Pretty disappointing if it's the latter.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:15 PM   #820
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I agree, I was disappointed by that. I wonder if it's 14 days unlimited or 14 days up to 6 months of game time. Pretty disappointing if it's the latter.

are we sure this is the case? every other SI demo is "6 months of gametime, infinitely repeateable"
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:51 PM   #821
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
It installed ok for me.

Me too.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:02 PM   #822
MJ4H
Coordinator

Trying the demo, I REALLY like the pitch by pitch mode. If I wind up buying this game, it will be to play in a league with a short schedule so I can manage every game. Pitch by pitch was probably the biggest addition to me (along with the webcast pitch location screen).
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:08 PM   #823
Lonnie
High School Varsity

The patch notes look impressive. I saw quite a few bugs I have seen mentioned. I'll give the demo a whirl now and see how it goes. I want to like this game.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:23 PM   #824
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'll give the demo a chance at some point. Right now, I don't want to play it if it is a 14 day time limit since I'm a bit pressed for time this week and weekend, but I do look forward to trying the demo at some point.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:23 PM   #825
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman
Trying the demo, I REALLY like the pitch by pitch mode. If I wind up buying this game, it will be to play in a league with a short schedule so I can manage every game. Pitch by pitch was probably the biggest addition to me (along with the webcast pitch location screen).
It is a very nice addition. The "yeah but" problem with pitch by pitch is the wackiness of the play-by-play. There's the occassional logic error that while annoying is one of those quirks you love about OOTP -- the ol' lineout to the catcher or the infielder circling under a line drive. The other day my second baseman raced over to field a groundball to short, tossed to himself at second base for the force out and fired to first for the double play. The occassional hiccup like that tickles me more than it drives me crazy.

The real wackiness is the play-by-play text. There is some really funny phrasing and grammar. Didn't I read at one point where they had people on the message boards submit text that could be included in the game? It reads a lot like that. It's absolutely terrific that there is some variety and space to the play-by-play and not the repeatitive phrasing where you know what's going to happen after about three words. It's annoying that sometimes you read the play-by-play and you don't really know what just happened. But maybe that's just me.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:33 PM   #826
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

no I felt the same way about play by play
Old 06-07-2006, 07:25 PM   #827
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Any impressions on the patch?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:30 PM   #828
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Any impressions on the patch?

Mizzo, perhaps a word of advise. Just play the demo/game yourself and see if you like it or not. You have been way too needy in this thread.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:34 PM   #829
cuervo72
Head Coach

I thought the play by play was too wordy, actually.

Jones is on the mound....
he looks in at the plate...
he winds up.....
Smith readys in the box....
here comes the pitch.....
Smith takes the pitch....
Outside, Ball 1.....
Jones doesn't seem happy with the call...

Old 06-07-2006, 07:37 PM   #830
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72
I thought the play by play was too wordy, actually.

Jones is on the mound....
he looks in at the plate...
he winds up.....
Smith readys in the box....
here comes the pitch.....
Smith takes the pitch....
Outside, Ball 1.....
Jones doesn't seem happy with the call...

Been like that for years. I agree that it's too verbose, but it's the least of OOTP's problems.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:39 PM   #831
cuervo72
Head Coach

Pitch by pitch I'd say it will get old REAL quickly.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:53 PM   #832
PilotMan
Head Coach

There has been some discussion about what makes this game good and where it falls short. For me, in the little time that I have spent with it, it surpasses every other (baseball) game by a mile.

I set up a fictional universe where there are three main leagues. I did it quickly because I wanted to see how it would work, and so far I love what I have found.

My main league is set up with 36 teams HQed in the US with current financials and a full minor league minus short A. I made this league only 5 percent foreign players. My second tier league is a 24 - team international league that is HQed in Canada, where 85 percent are foreign. The idea is that while it is good baseball it isn't the best. The financials are set accordingly so that the teams will have money, but wont be able to outbid the Main league for players. The quality of play here is between ML and AAA level of my main league. In this league there is AAA, and AA ball. Both minors are both foreign heavy and both not as good as their Main counterparts.

My third league is an 8- team independent minor league at AA level baseball with a rookie league support league. The financials here are set so that teams will be able to keep a couple of good players but that the best players will likely move on to greener pastures.

The World league runs from Jan to mid summer and the others run normally from April to October/November.

One of the intersting dynamics has been the abilty of ML teams to sign players in August after the trade deadline, who were stars in the World League and could possibly affect the playoff race.

I will post a couple of player stories to give you an idea of how it has gone. So far though, I could just kill time going from stat page to stat page. If I was a girl this would certainly get me wet.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 06-07-2006 at 10:18 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:04 PM   #833
PilotMan
Head Coach

The first overall player drafted by the Midwest Independent League (MIP) (Independent AA level) was a pitcher by the name of John Megahy. He is 29 at the time throws four pitches and gets into the mid 90's.

He is absolutely dominant getting selected to the All Star game and winning the Top Pitcher Award with a record of 24-5, a 2.38 ERA.

He threw for almost 300 innings with 12 complete games and 3 shutouts. He had 256 K's and only 49 walks.

Trading is not allowed between any league and he elected to become a free agent in the offseason.

The result was a 3yr/39.77 mil contract with the Charlotte Club of the USBP's (Main US League).

So far at this level he has done well. Posting an 8-8 record with a 2.88 ERA.

He has thrown 9 complete games with 125 K's in 147 innings.

Like Steam?

Old 06-07-2006, 08:13 PM   #834
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Mizzo, perhaps a word of advise. Just play the demo/game yourself and see if you like it or not. You have been way too needy in this thread.

Way too needy, lol. I think eager is a better word, but whatever works for you.

I'm off to get the demo though. Was hoping Sack or Troy could compare the game pre and post patch as it's going to take me a bit to learn the new UI.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:21 PM   #835
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Way too needy, lol. I think eager is a better word, but whatever works for you.

I'm off to get the demo though. Was hoping Sack or Troy could compare the game pre and post patch as it's going to take me a bit to learn the new UI.

My new league has a proper schedule, so one of my biggest gripes is fixed.

Still too many talented players in free agency after league creation. I replaced my entire bullpen in January, FWIW.

I'm watching the pitching thing, but I'm given to understand that if you set pitcher usage options to "Normal," that's what causes 9 man staffs. Apparently Markus has a different definition of "Normal" than I do.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:30 PM   #836
PilotMan
Head Coach

The next player is Juan Biell. He hails from Mexico and started his career in the World League. He was the 14 pick overall in the draft and was 34 when he was drafted. He is basically a power hitting shortstop.

He dominated right off the bat, had a couple of small injuries and was selected to the All Star game.

He finished the year winning the Max Slugger Award despite missing some time due to back spasms.

He finished his year in the WL hitting .345 with 38 HR's and 111 RBI's. His OPS was 1.059.

He became a free agent after the year and was snapped up by FT Worth of the USBP's. His audition saw him hit .286 with 7 HR's and 23 RBI's in 40 games. He was paid 5.77mil for his 3 months of work. He helped them to the postseason where he hit 3 more dingers and batted .256 in 11 games.

He became a FA again but did not return to the WL instead opting to wait for the USBP season.

He was rewarded handsomely with a 3yr/28.09 playing for Garland of the USBP.

So far in the season halfway he is hitting .293 with 14 HR's and 45 RBI's.

Like Steam?

Old 06-07-2006, 08:38 PM   #837
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Seems like its way too easy to sign all the good free agents.

Seems like the AI does not sign any free agents until first game of the regular season.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:58 PM   #838
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan
There has been some discussion about what makes this game good and where it falls short. For me, in the little time that I have spent with it, it surpasses every other game by a mile.

I set up a fictional universe where there are three main leagues. I did it quickly because I wanted to see how it would work, and so far I love what I have found.

My main league is set up with 36 teams HQed in the US with current financials and a full minor league minus short A. I made this league only 5 percent foreign players. My second tier league is a 24 - team international league that is HQed in Canada, where 85 percent are foreign. The idea is that while it is good baseball it isn't the best. The financials are set accordingly so that the teams will have money, but wont be able to outbid the Main league for players. The quality of play here is between ML and AAA level of my main league. In this league there is AAA, and AA ball. Both minors are both foreign heavy and both not as good as their Main counterparts.

My third league is an 8- team independent minor league at AA level baseball with a rookie league support league. The financials here are set so that teams will be able to keep a couple of good players but that the best players will likely move on to greener pastures.

The World league runs from Jan to mid summer and the others run normally from April to October/November.

One of the intersting dynamics has been the abilty of ML teams to sign players in August after the trade deadline, who were stars in the World League and could possibly affect the playoff race.

I will post a couple of player stories to give you an idea of how it has gone. So far though, I could just kill time going from stat page to stat page. If I was a girl this would certainly get me wet.

Best part of the game right there. You can do a ton of different configurations. I enjoy creating the leagues almost as much as playing them.

After the patch I wanted to try out playing every game again, so I starting managing in the default Mexican league and I'm enjoying it. Our first overall pick, Fermin "Litterbug" Jerrez (a 25 yo power hitting RF), has cranked 7 homers in our first 10 games, including 3 in one game. I am managing every game and we're 4-6 so far. If only I could find some reliable pitching. Fun stuff.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:46 PM   #839
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts
Best part of the game right there. You can do a ton of different configurations. I enjoy creating the leagues almost as much as playing them.

There's a Maximum Football joke in there somewhere.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:00 PM   #840
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Seems like the AI does not sign any free agents until first game of the regular season.

I don't know if this is true every year, but in the inaugural year, certainly.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:31 PM   #841
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan
What are the financials set at for this league? I really haven't toyed around with this part of the game and think it sounds fun.
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:44 AM   #842
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Funny. I didn't encounter any showstopping bugs pre-patch. Now? My league I created pre-patch doesn't work.

CALENDAR_DATE::set-invalid minute
CALENDAR_DATE::set-invalid hour
CALENDAR_DATE::set-invalid year

Then the player stats don't load anymore. So that stinks. I'm going to start a new league and see how that works.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:18 AM   #843
SackAttack
Head Coach

I love the random name generator.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:31 AM   #844
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:

Has that been reported on the OOTP Tech Support Forum?

Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:03 AM   #845
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
I don't know if this is true every year, but in the inaugural year, certainly.

It seems to be true only with the inaugural year. I'm not a big fan of house rules to keep a game competitive, but this is the sort of bug I can ignore pretty easily. I just don't sign those FA's until everyone has a shot at them.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:04 AM   #846
moriarty
College Starter

So, I haven't heard a lot of comments on the patch yet ... is it still too early to tell?
Old 06-08-2006, 09:20 AM   #847
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
My new league has a proper schedule, so one of my biggest gripes is fixed.

Still too many talented players in free agency after league creation. I replaced my entire bullpen in January, FWIW.

I'm watching the pitching thing, but I'm given to understand that if you set pitcher usage options to "Normal," that's what causes 9 man staffs. Apparently Markus has a different definition of "Normal" than I do.
I'd already figured that. The only real way to change the definition, would be to have it set as a number instead, so like 2-7 or something which would determine the average amount of relievers on your team. I'm fine with Normal being 9, because Very Often is what I consider current baseball.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:22 AM   #848
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

Are you making this assumption from playing the demo? Because it doesn't seem like that to me when I sim seasons. Players are being signed throughout the entire offseason.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:24 AM   #849
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion
I'm fine with Normal being 9, because Very Often is what I consider current baseball.

Who has a 9 man staff in today's game? Who has even carried 10? While I think 11 is often the appropriate number, most teams carry 12 a good amount of the time.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:40 AM   #850
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt
Who has a 9 man staff in today's game? Who has even carried 10? While I think 11 is often the appropriate number, most teams carry 12 a good amount of the time.

This game is built for people that want to do numerous types of leagues. Just because 11-12 is the norm today in the MLB doesn't make it normal overall.