Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #801
RainMaker
General Manager

Thanks, I'm going through wikipedia trying to fill in holes.

Does FIFA have this all accurately done? I've played schedules without really knowing what is going on in the past.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:33 PM   #802
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Interesting info about Best Buy's game trade-in program. Looks like the trade-in amounts are quite a bit higher at Best Buy when compared to Gamestop.

Best Buy’s Trade-in Program Trounces GameStop | Loot Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Wouldn't mind seeing Best Buy and Walmart eat into GameStop's market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I think Gamestop is worthless to trade games to.

The way the GameStop model works is, they want to encourage you to trade stuff in so they can make an obscene margin on pre-owned sales.

I'm not sure what Best Buy is doing, other than hoping if they get someone into the store with a gift card, that they'll a) spend more money on top of that and b) fuck over GameStop.

There's been a lot of start-stop-start on the idea of Best Buy and used games over the years, so I'm in a firmly wait-and-see mode.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:45 PM   #803
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Thanks, I'm going through wikipedia trying to fill in holes.

Does FIFA have this all accurately done? I've played schedules without really knowing what is going on in the past.

not really, but thatīs part of the nature of play-yourself-games for soccer. They somewhat have the basics and of course only the first or the first 2 leagues of the more prominent countries (4 for england is the exception) , have never played in a non-european league in 09 or now in 10, so no ideaif/how this is implented there really.

What i allways loved about PES is that they didnīt pretend to portray the real soccer world and just invented their own version (Master League Mode) and went with it. I donīt need real in a soccer game where i play myself, i need fun. And PES was highly immersive in the Master League Mode and tons of fun playing against friends. Unfortunately the last couple of versions went downhill fast in terms of animations (running styles are horendous ...) and physics, absolutely loathed PES09 and 10 has gotten even worse judging from the demo.

If you want to have a game really digging into this it would have to be Football manager. Of course that is a text sim with a crappy 3 D matchdisplay (but a terrific 2D engine) and in an entire different ballpark.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:12 PM   #804
RainMaker
General Manager

Yeah, it's not that important to me since I couldn't even name 95% of the teams in the game.

What I would love is a true World Cup mode. One where you take a country and play through all of qualification. All FIFA countries in the game. I know 98 had it in it and I played the hell out of it on the computer. You could play as England or as small as the Faroe Islands.

EA had some awesome stuff going on back then, it's sad that they gutted most games and they have no depth.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:07 PM   #805
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
NBA 2K10 demo is out, for now only on Live Gold for XBox 360.

And only 1 quarter, no commentary and no playcalling apparently (canīt check myself). I find it ridiculous with what those companies get away in terms of selling a product ...

Anyway, should give an indication as to how the controlls are at least. Buying it anyway, but for some thatīs a big point.
I don't get why they eliminate so much stuff from the demo. I mean I couldn't even call a timeout. Is this a space issue or what?

Based on history, 2K will be the better game. But if you went into a decision with no knowledge of their history, NBA Live Demo makes that game look much better.

Just seems to me if you have a superior product, you'd want to showcase it in your demo. Not put out a half assed attempt at a demo that makes your game look bad.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:37 PM   #806
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Thumbs up to the opening scene of the Brutal Legend demo (available for XB Live Gold members until tomorrow I think).

Good sense of humor. Based on my son's review of playing earlier, it's probably not going to be my cup of tea as far as gameplay but it's pretty cool in tone & look.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:46 PM   #807
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
What I would love is a true World Cup mode. One where you take a country and play through all of qualification. All FIFA countries in the game. I know 98 had it in it and I played the hell out of it on the computer. You could play as England or as small as the Faroe Islands.

They release a separate game every four years that does exactly this. The yearly FIFA releases focus on the club teams, while the World Cup releases focus on the qualifying and/or World Cup stages for countries.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 10-03-2009 at 10:46 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:11 PM   #808
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
They release a separate game every four years that does exactly this. The yearly FIFA releases focus on the club teams, while the World Cup releases focus on the qualifying and/or World Cup stages for countries.
That's what I figured, but the last few installments of the World Cup game have not had the full qualifying.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:55 AM   #809
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Great deals on both the PS3 and DSi. PS3 for $230 and DSi for $126. That's nuts. Note that price is actually cheaper than link even indicates when you stack the coupons. This one isn't going to last long.

Sony Playstation 3 Slim 120GB Console $243, Nintendo DSi Handheld Console (white or pink) $132 - Slickdeals.net

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 10-05-2009 at 06:56 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:21 AM   #810
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Really good Uncharted 2 commercial. Love the new schtick that the recent Sony commericals have been using.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/sceablog/videos/608/
Old 10-05-2009, 08:19 AM   #811
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

All the FIFA talk tempted me to go play some soccer so I played a couple games of FIFA 09 and then fired up my old Winning Eleven 9. WE9 is SO far ahead in terms of game play it's ridiculous. It feels so much more like a real game of soccer. I hope the PES series will feel the same way again.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #812
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

More Direct 2 Drive game deals. Lots of strategy titles in this one.........

Direct2Drive $5 War Games (PC) Downloads: Company Of Heroes Gold, Supreme Commander Gold, World In Conflict Fold, Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War Dark Crusade & More - Slickdeals.net
Old 10-05-2009, 11:25 PM   #813
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Video Game, Exclusive Launch Trailer HD | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com

It's almost here!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:13 AM   #814
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

When is Diablo 3 coming out?

Some have said the release date is sometime this Christmas season... That would be most excellent.

Last edited by mauchow : 10-06-2009 at 08:13 AM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:22 AM   #815
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
When is Diablo 3 coming out?

Some have said the release date is sometime this Christmas season... That would be most excellent.

There has been no announcement. There is almost no chance of it being out this year. Maybe next holiday season.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:32 AM   #816
Calis
College Starter

Relatively sure I read that Blizzard said no Diablo in 2010, but I might be wrong. Starcraft coming next year and I assume the WoW expansion makes me think they will wait to release it.

As for Operation Flashpoint 2, is there a reason to be excited? I bought and enjoyed ArmA 2 by the guys who made the original OpFlash and I was under the assumption the new guys were making a much more arcade focused game. Doesn't interest me, but I haven't been following.

I'm excited to try Demon's Souls on the PS3 which is out today I think. I've heard lots of raving about the import version. Don't think I can swing a purchase this week but I will definitely nab it at some point.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:52 AM   #817
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Still no NBA 2k10 in the stores here in the Philippines. The shelves are all stocked with NBA Live 10... and noone wants to buy them.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:47 AM   #818
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Very well written review:

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Review for Xbox 360 - VideoGamer.com
Old 10-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #819
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I must say, I'm pretty excited about COD: Modern Warfare 2 coming out on nov 10. I played the hell out of COD: WaW on my old 360 before I sold it. I just need to figure out how to use my bluetooth headset with my PS3 now.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #820
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I hadn't even noticed that there were several releases of note this week.

Quote:
Afrika
Demon's Souls
NBA 2K10
NBA Live 10
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising

2K10, Afrika, and Demon Souls could make this a pretty expensive evening.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 10-06-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #821
SackAttack
Head Coach

Apparently Brutal Legend is impending as well. My review copy arrived back in California yesterday.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #822
Lonnie
High School Varsity

The Brutal Legend demo was fun. I've also seen the multiplayer tutorial video that looks pretty cool.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:17 PM   #823
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Apparently Brutal Legend is impending as well. My review copy arrived back in California yesterday.

I wanna' know right now what you were given to review this!
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:44 PM   #824
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Still no NBA 2k10 in the stores here in the Philippines. The shelves are all stocked with NBA Live 10... and noone wants to buy them.

Just a curious question.

How much does a video game there cost?
How many hours would one have to work there in order to purchase one?

For reference sakes, I'd guestimate the average worker in america might have to work about 3-4 hours to purchase a 60 dollar video game.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #825
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I wanna' know right now what you were given to review this!

A trip to the post office to pick it up once it gets rerouted from CA to WI.

But I gotta pay for the trip.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:48 PM   #826
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
A trip to the post office to pick it up once it gets rerouted from CA to WI.

But I gotta pay for the trip.

What are your thoughts on that mandate anyway?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:00 PM   #827
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
What are your thoughts on that mandate anyway?

I think it's mostly meant as a "disclose your ties" sort of thing, to prevent companies from setting up shell blogs or whatever that rave about a game so that they have a quote to stick on the box.

I'm also thinking of a couple weeks ago, when EA sent out a bunch of checks to various game sites to promote "Dante's Inferno" (disclosure: we weren't one of them). Right there, it's a promotional thing that puts the sites that receive them in an awkward position. You can take Kotaku's stance, which was just to burn the check and post a video showing that they did so. I thought that was a little bit self-serving, shouting "you can't buy us!" when I don't think that's what EA was trying to accomplish in the first place.

You could cash the check and donate the money to Child's Play or what-have-you. I think that's probably what EA was going for. Here's this interactive publicity thing involving the websites, and the intention was that the money would get given to an industry-related charity.

Or you could cash the check and keep the money, and those are the sites I'd question. I don't think any of the ones who received the checks took that route, but that's the most obvious situation in which you'd want some disclosure from the site if they ended up giving Dante's Inferno a ten.

But that kind of thing, that's fairly rare. Most publishers/PR firms, in fact, won't get that obvious with influence attempts. I know of a few who'll host dinners/get-togethers centered around an upcoming release. Kind of a "come check out what we're working on, and we'll feed you" sort of thing. I've received a couple of invites of that nature over the years. Only one of those has been a situation where travel was actually comped, and that was when I wrote for GameSpy.

So it's kind of a weird situation, you know? The sites most likely to get influenced by the kind of nefarious what-ifs are the sites least likely to really get made those offers-that-you-can't-refuse. The kind of eyeball traffic EA gets from Kotaku, Joystiq, GameSpy, GameSpot, IGN, etc - that's going to dwarf, for reasonably low cost (review copies) anything they could do by trying to "buy" a smaller site's review scores.

That's why I'm kind of confused by the whole thing.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:31 AM   #828
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone have any comments on Demon's Souls I'd love to hear them. I really haven't bought a new game in about a year, but I might have to pull the trigger on this one potentially.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:45 AM   #829
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Anyone have any comments on Demon's Souls I'd love to hear them. I really haven't bought a new game in about a year, but I might have to pull the trigger on this one potentially.

Dubious Quality: Demon's Souls (PS3)

Quote:
Demon's Souls (PS3)

Demon's Souls has been released in the U.S. today for the PS3.

I put in 20+ hours with the import version, and this is easily one of the best games of the year. It's epic in scope, the level design is sensational, the game design is just as good, and the graphical quality is stunning.

When I first started playing this game, my impressions were dominated by one word: awe. And that feeling still hasn't gone away.

I might give out two or three "10" scores a year. This year, only Demon's Souls and Red Faction: Guerrilla belong in that category. Demon's Souls also has a notable "PC" quality, in that it's a hard game that never apologizes for being hard.

I'll have much more next week, but if you have a PS3, this is an auto-purchase. And if you're looking for a good reason to buy a PS3, this is it.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:31 AM   #830
spleen1015
Coordinator

Come on. Can you guys avoid talking about the good games in these threads? Now I have to go buy Demon's Souls.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 10-07-2009 at 11:29 AM. Reason: I don't know what MBBF is talking about.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:19 AM   #831
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Come on. Can you guys avoid talking about the good games in these threads? Now I have to go buy Demon's Soul.

I'd make sure your copy has all the souls included. The version with only one soul has a very short campaign mode.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #832
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Well, the reviews sucked me in, picked up Demon's Souls this afternoon.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 10-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #833
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Anybody pick up Operation Flashpoint? I just rented it for the 360 and wondering if anybody else got it. From what I hear the Co-Op mode is fun as hell.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #834
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Anybody pick up Operation Flashpoint? I just rented it for the 360 and wondering if anybody else got it. From what I hear the Co-Op mode is fun as hell.

yep.. picked up mine today.. haven't had a chance to play it yet.. and now the Cardinals game is on..
Old 10-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #835
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Maybe tomorrow Mizzou

I should probably play by myself anyways as I have never played OpFlash in my entire life and from I gather I am in for one hell of a learning curve.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #836
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Maybe tomorrow Mizzou

I should probably play by myself anyways as I have never played OpFlash in my entire life and from I gather I am in for one hell of a learning curve.

Yes! Although I think I'm taking Friday off!!!
Old 10-08-2009, 01:13 AM   #837
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

In Greek Mythology, Sisyphus was condemned to roll a boulder up a hill only to have it roll back down again.

If this myth was rewritten in 2009, Sisyphus would be playing Demon's Souls instead. Good.. lord. I don't know whether I hate the game or love it.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:09 AM   #838
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I just put in a 3-4 hour block of online co-op of Operation Flashpoint. I met this guy who was gung ho, spoke in military jargon, and as a result I had a fucking blast. Pretty sure this rental is going to turn into a purchase.

Definitely a massive change of pace from Call of Duty and the like, but I like it so far.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:54 AM   #839
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
In Greek Mythology, Sisyphus was condemned to roll a boulder up a hill only to have it roll back down again.

If this myth was rewritten in 2009, Sisyphus would be playing Demon's Souls instead. Good.. lord. I don't know whether I hate the game or love it.

I heard that it's similar to a roguelike?

Old 10-08-2009, 08:16 AM   #840
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
I heard that it's similar to a roguelike?

Yes.

Although, in an odd sort of way I think it is the Guitar Hero of RPG's. For Guitar Hero, you can't stop, you have to get through a song and on certain songs you fail alot, but every time you try you get a little bit better and a little bit further.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:35 AM   #841
watravaler
High School JV

Quote:
The way the GameStop model works is, they want to encourage you to trade stuff in so they can make an obscene margin on pre-owned sales.

Yeah, it's quite a joke, but blame the 10-18 year old demographic for allowing it to happen. I just laugh when I see what they offer, and then turn around and do...but again, more power to them...
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:35 AM   #842
Calis
College Starter

I ended up renting the new Operation Flashpoint last night, because they didn't have Demon's Souls and I'm trying to be a bit frugal. I spent a couple hours on it and it definitely isn't my cup of tea.

I absolutely loved the first OpFlash and really enjoyed Arma and Arma2. This type of game just does not work well on the console. It feels like they tried to cater to the run and gun crowd and the milsim crowd, and will probably end up aggravating both. Controls seem too convoluted. I'm not sure they could have done it much slicker but it still is a pain. I'm not sure you can make something like this feel good on a console. The PC version might alleviate these issues but I don't see a benefit to this game over ArmA on PC. The bonus is definitely playing on the console, but that doesn't work well imo.

It is a nice looking game though and I actually thought the opening intro was done in a really neat style. I imagine it would be a blast coop as I think this style of game is the best for that. OpFlash definitely had a lot of my favorite coop moments.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #843
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by watravaler View Post
Yeah, it's quite a joke, but blame the 10-18 year old demographic for allowing it to happen. I just laugh when I see what they offer, and then turn around and do...but again, more power to them...

It's not just the 10-18. There's plenty of adults who do the same thing, but just don't give a shit because it's less money out of pocket right then at the moment.

The 10-18 crowd, especially at the lower end, those are kids who want new games, but they don't have jobs (obviously) and Mom and Dad are trying to teach them that money doesn't just grow on trees, so they trade in games they're bored of to get the latest Pokemon.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:21 AM   #844
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:

So what do you guys think of Demon's Souls? I just watched a review of the game and it looks pretty sweet..

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:13 AM   #845
spleen1015
Coordinator

Demon's Souls...

All of the reviews are right. This game is hard. I played for about an hour yesterday and I died a dozen times, repeating the same sequence of the game about 7 times. I'm thinking I either suck at video games or it is just hard.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:13 AM   #846
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Demon's Souls...

All of the reviews are right. This game is hard. I played for about an hour yesterday and I died a dozen times, repeating the same sequence of the game about 7 times. I'm thinking I either suck at video games or it is just hard.

Frustrating hard or a good hard?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:49 AM   #847
spleen1015
Coordinator

I was frustrated with it last night, but not this morning. It is the first level, so I haven't really experienced much of the game yet. I like it so far.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:58 AM   #848
Calis
College Starter

It isn't strictly a roguelike though is it? I mean when you die you still maintain some things?

How twitchy is the combat? I love how it sounds strategic in combat, but I'm getting older and less interested in fast twitchy combat. I'm looking for something more RPG than Devil May Cry.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #849
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
How twitchy is the combat? I love how it sounds strategic in combat, but I'm getting older and less interested in fast twitchy combat. I'm looking for something more RPG than Devil May Cry.

You keep your items when you die, just not the souls that you collect which help you level up and buy stuff. If you found something to heal you, didn't use it and died, you would still have it. On the first level, you can't level up past 9 until you defeat the main boss and then you can start turning in souls.

If you don't like twitchy games then this isn't one for you. It is like Oblivion or God of War, just harder. My statement that the game is like Guitar Hero isn't too far off in the sense that when you are going through it, you learn the placement of all the enemies and know what is coming up as you dig deeper, plus you start learning their tendencies and how to fight them better so, as you die, you are learning and it becomes easier.

A few tips on starting out, if you are going to die or close to death and you have items to heal you, you don't necessarily have to use them. Sometimes it is better to die and keep your items rather than waste them if you are having a bad run up to that point.

Fire is your friend. Some of the enemies are stupid so, if you get them to run after you and you place fire in between you and them, they will run through it and take damage. If you kill them this way, you still get their souls.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:21 AM   #850
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Demon's Souls...

My first go around, I played for 3+ hours. I probably died at least 30+ times.