Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-08-2005, 10:13 PM   #801
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Flyers reup Simon Gagne to a 1 year, $2 million deal. It is $25000 higher than what he was qualified.

Yep, his agent got him a $25000 raise.

Seems awfully cheap for Gagne...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:14 AM   #802
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Report: NHL on verge of U.S. cable deal

Canadian Press

8/9/2005 2:50:27 AM

PHILADELPHIA (CP) - The NHL is on the verge of signing off with a new U.S. cable TV partner, according to a report in the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Comcast has formally submitted a two-year bid in excess of $100 million US to televise NHL games beginning this fall, sources directly involved in the discussions told the Inquirer in Tuesday's edition.

The deal calls for Comcast to televise two games a week nationally. The cable giant plans to put the games on its on its Outdoor Life Network, which is also available in Canada.

Comcast submitted its bid over the weekend, according to the Inquirer. The NHL could act on it by this weekend. The company is a major owner of the Philadelphia Flyers.

Comcast spokesperson Tim Fitzpatrick declined Monday to comment on the network's interest in the NHL. The NHL also declined when reached by the Inquirer.

If the NHL approves the deal, the contract will be forwarded to ESPN. In April, ESPN opted not to renew its $70-million option to televise the NHL for 2005-06 and 2006-07, but ESPN retains the right to match the new offer, a source told the Inquirer. ESPN has carried NHL games in the United States since 1985.

The NHL also has a national broadcast deal with NBC but needed a new cable partner after ESPN withdrew in April.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132876
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:19 AM   #803
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Report: NHL on verge of U.S. cable deal

Canadian Press

8/9/2005 2:50:27 AM

PHILADELPHIA (CP) - The NHL is on the verge of signing off with a new U.S. cable TV partner, according to a report in the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Comcast has formally submitted a two-year bid in excess of $100 million US to televise NHL games beginning this fall, sources directly involved in the discussions told the Inquirer in Tuesday's edition.

The deal calls for Comcast to televise two games a week nationally. The cable giant plans to put the games on its on its Outdoor Life Network, which is also available in Canada.

Comcast submitted its bid over the weekend, according to the Inquirer. The NHL could act on it by this weekend. The company is a major owner of the Philadelphia Flyers.

Comcast spokesperson Tim Fitzpatrick declined Monday to comment on the network's interest in the NHL. The NHL also declined when reached by the Inquirer.

If the NHL approves the deal, the contract will be forwarded to ESPN. In April, ESPN opted not to renew its $70-million option to televise the NHL for 2005-06 and 2006-07, but ESPN retains the right to match the new offer, a source told the Inquirer. ESPN has carried NHL games in the United States since 1985.

The NHL also has a national broadcast deal with NBC but needed a new cable partner after ESPN withdrew in April.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132876

This could work out very badly for me. I don't know if this Outdoor Life Network is available on Direct TV? Anyone?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 08-09-2005, 10:22 AM   #804
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Their website lists it at channel 608, available on all their packages (Total Choice, Total Choice Plus, Total Choice Premier).
Old 08-09-2005, 10:30 AM   #805
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Their website lists it at channel 608, available on all their packages (Total Choice, Total Choice Plus, Total Choice Premier).

Thanks. Channel 608? Sweet Jaysis! That's high. No wonder I have never seen nor heard of it. I will have to see what it's all about tonight. That said, assuming there is a NHL Center Ice Package this year, I will be getting that.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:33 AM   #806
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Andrew Cassels just signed with the Capitals. Nice, their first move this year (other than signing Ovechkin) is signing a 36 year old center. The Caps are going to suck this year. Just be abysmal. They have something like 8 guys signed. And now Brendan Witt wants to be traded... Hmmm, I think Witt would fit in well in Detroit. They desperately need some toughness, especially along the blue line. Though Witt seems to be hurt. A lot.

The only advantage to the Caps being so bad is that there will likely be a plethora of tickets available here. Means ole H_B should be able to catch quite a few live hockey games this year.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:35 AM   #807
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Thanks. Channel 608? Sweet Jaysis! That's high. No wonder I have never seen nor heard of it. I will have to see what it's all about tonight. That said, assuming there is a NHL Center Ice Package this year, I will be getting that.

yep, we do get it. the only time I've ever watched OLN is the Tour de France.
But, really, as long as Center Ice is available (still not official yet, I think), I don't care what channel they show the rest on.

I really hope Center Ice comes back. Otherwise, I wasted taking October 5th off from work.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:09 AM   #808
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
The only advantage to the Caps being so bad is that there will likely be a plethora of tickets available here. Means ole H_B should be able to catch quite a few live hockey games this year.

You can give us progress reports on what's shaping up to be a terrific calder race. All based in the east: Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin (maybe), Carter, Richards, Lehtonen, Lundqvist.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 02:21 PM   #809
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Neat. I get OLN on our little cable provider here because I remember a friend of mine talking about watching the Tour de France every day and I checked it out and found it to be quite boring as a spectator sport, but that's another story for another day.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 02:25 PM   #810
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Penguins sign Sean Burke to a 2 yr $3 million deal.

Kim Johnsson accepts his $2.2 million offer from the Flyers.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:58 PM   #811
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Interesting on the cable deal... I can dig it, as we get OLN on Timewarner (was worried about Comcast doing a Comcast-only hockey channel!).
Old 08-09-2005, 07:46 PM   #812
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

I wonder if ESPN will match the offer given that they earlier declined a $70 million option to keep the NHL. I know they've gotten better ratings with things like bowling but I read on Eklund that they did miss the ratings they would get for playoff hockey. The Flyers look to be almost done. According to TSN, they have 20 players worth $33 million and 4 of those are undisclosed deals. Esche has yet to agree to his QO.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:51 PM   #813
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

bad news about ESPN losing hockey? no more Gary Thorne.
the good news? no more Barry Melrose.

I can live with that trade.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:22 PM   #814
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Penguins sign Sean Burke to a 2 yr $3 million deal.

Uh, scratch that.

Burke signs with Tampa Bay.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132952
Old 08-09-2005, 10:22 PM   #815
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Avs send Philip Sauve to the Flames for a 7th rounder. hopefully, this means they have a solid backup in place.

Sauve has a lot of skill (was a 2nd round pick) and had been highly touted for a while, but struggled pretty badly with the Avs.

EDIT: unless they think Peter Budaj is ready to play in the NHL, but I don't really know much about him.

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 08-09-2005 at 10:42 PM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:30 PM   #816
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
bad news about ESPN losing hockey? no more Gary Thorne.
the good news? no more Barry Melrose.

I can live with that trade.

Might this not end up like the NBA did, or when football left NBC, where most of the broadcasters ended up switching or getting part-time gigs with the new channels? I know Gary Thorne does a bunch of stuff outside of ESPN, and I'm figuring that even if Melrose doesn't end up on OLN, wouldn't ESPN still have its NHL2Night show?

DirecTV's Sports Package, which is mostly channels in the 600s, is excellent. I used to think it was expendable, but now I kinda enjoy the college sports coverage and my daughter likes watching soccer. I haven't watched much OLN, though.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:32 PM   #817
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

also just found out that the Avs aren't affiliated with the AHL Hershey Bears anymore, but now are with the Lowell Loch Monsters. Which is cool, because I go to a lot of Manchester Monarchs games, so I'll see more of the Avs prospects...but I'm confused about who to root for. It's hard enough with one rival of the Monarchs being the baby Bruins (wife is a Bruins fan), now the other big Monarch's rival is Colorado's affiliate.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:51 PM   #818
Simms
FOBL Commish

Leafs sign ex-Blues D-man Alexander Khavanov.

Um....w00t?
Old 08-09-2005, 10:57 PM   #819
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Avs send Philip Sauve to the Flames for a 7th rounder.

Turek is probably going to stay in the Czech Republic and Kiprusoff's negotiations are not going well thanks to Chicago's $6.75 million signing of Khabibulin. Many Flames fans are not high on Sauve since they remember the Flames lighting him up for 7 and Edmonton getting 6 past him. Still, he's young, cheap and a Marcoux disciple.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 11:12 PM   #820
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Kiprusoff might get that kind of cash if he could do that for more than half a season.

SI

Old 08-09-2005, 11:36 PM   #821
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Interesting on the cable deal, but I REALLY hope ESPN matches the offer. Hockey would be a perfect game on HDTV, and AFAIK, OLN doesn't broadcast in HD.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:26 AM   #822
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

There are now reports that the NHL has agreed to the Comcast offer. It justs needs approval from the Board of Governors, which they say is a formality. Once approved by the BoG, the NHL will forward the deal to ESPN and see if they match it.

Kuklas posted details from a recent signing, its interesting for those that want to see how an NHL contract breaks down.

Quote:
Breaking Down A Contract
I thought this would be a good example of how a contract looks for a very recent signing.
The contract is for Alexander Steen who was signed today by the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Season-- Compensation-- Base Salary-- Signing Bonus-- Minor League Salary
2005-06-- $720,180-------- $450,000------- $270,180-------- $70,300
2006-07-- $770,180-------- $500,000------- $270,180-------- $70,300
2007-08-- $870,180-------- $600,000------- $270,180-------- $70,300

Most Recently Signed Contract Details
Signing Bonus
Player will be paid a signing bonus of $810,540 payable as follows:
$135,090 payable upon execution of contract
$135,090 payable April 15, 2006
$135,090 payable October 15, 2006
$135,090 payable April 15, 2007
$135,090 payable October 15, 2007
$135,090 payable April 15, 2008

Player shall receive a one time payment of $180,420 after playing in 82 NHL Regular Season games during the 2005/06 Season.

Player shall receive $32,605 after playing in 20, 40, 60 and 80 NHL Regular Season games during the 2006/07 Season.

Player shall receive $15,210 after playing in 20 and 40 NHL Regular Season games during the 2007/08 Season.

Parental Travel
Club shall pay the reasonable and pre-approved travel expenses (round trip economy airfare, accommodations, game tickets) for Player’s parents to see one (1) game in the Player’s first NHL season. ($5,000 U.S. limit to this item).

Individual “B” Bonuses
If achieved, player is eligible for individual bonuses paid by the league
Old 08-10-2005, 10:48 AM   #823
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Marian Hossa is asking the Sens for Iginla type money. The Sens had reportedly offered him 3 years, $11.5 million.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:57 AM   #824
Simms
FOBL Commish

Pens make another mini-splash....Thibeault from the Hawks for a 4th rounder.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:00 AM   #825
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms
Pens make another mini-splash....Thibeault from the Hawks for a 4th rounder.

That seems to be a very good deal in terms of only giving up a 4th rounder. Does anyone know what his contract status is? I know the Pens were offering 1.5 MM per year for 2 years to Burke.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:02 AM   #826
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

He's a RFA.

Last edited by TazFTW : 08-10-2005 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:19 AM   #827
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He's a RFA.

His QO was in the low 2's. Man, another awesome move by the Pens. They have just had an amazing offseason. The Pens?!?!

SI

Old 08-10-2005, 11:55 AM   #828
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I'm just curious... what exactly is it that people have against Barry Melrose? I think he's great!
Old 08-10-2005, 12:19 PM   #829
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Mullet envy?

SI

Old 08-10-2005, 12:35 PM   #830
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
I'm just curious... what exactly is it that people have against Barry Melrose? I think he's great!
No idea. I've always liked Melrose. I have never been bothered by him. He was the coach of the Adirondak Red Wings when they won the Calder Cup. I liked his run in LA as well.

In fact, I am known as the "Barry Melrose of Strat-o-Matic Hockey" for the fact that during my first season in the league I took the LA Kings all the way to the finals and lost to Montreal. Since then, my success has been limited... I have no mullet though.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 08-10-2005 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:16 PM   #831
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

didn't see anything on here talking about this...B's have reportedly offered 32.5 to Jumbo Joe for 5 years.

hxxp://bruins.bostonherald.com/bruins/view.bg?articleid=97386
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 01:34 PM   #832
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan

I like Melrose also. Thorne and Buccigross I really like. How can you hate Buccigross' take on the Leafs.

Quote:
Toronto Maple Leafs
The Leafs are obviously a bit bloated and aging. If Jason Allison is healthy, the Leafs should have enough to make the playoffs. But this team needs to make a decision, and my decision would be to blow it up. Strip thyself of salary, get a high draft pick and go after unrestricted free agents in the next summer or two. This team is like Journey or some other band that continues to tour with the name and keeps plugging in new people when others in the band die, go bald or become David Lee Roth. They need a whole new identity.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:35 PM   #833
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Interesting on the cable deal, particularly from the standpoint of being a media buyer.
Both Comcast Cable & OLN are somewhat notorious for pricing many of their programs far out of the realm of reality (basically asking for the same spot rate that programs with 5x to 20x the viewers can generate).

If this deal goes through, unless the NHL is almost literally giving it to them for free, I suspect the outcome is a revenue loss for Comcast, because the NHL isn't nearly strong enough in the majority of the country to justify over-paying for the commercial time.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:21 PM   #834
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
didn't see anything on here talking about this...B's have reportedly offered 32.5 to Jumbo Joe for 5 years.

Who? Thorton?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 02:33 PM   #835
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Who? Thorton?

Yes.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:54 PM   #836
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

it's not so much that I hate Melrose.

I just don't see his analysis as having very much substance. Not that that makes him unique, especially at ESPN, but I would like to have someone who's willing to stick his neck out just a LITTLE more than Melrose. For example, Don Cherry is a putz...but at least he voices his opinion, and is able to convey his hockey understanding, even if he makes you cringe from time to time. To Melrose, everyone seems to be a "good hockey player" - if they are doing good, it's because they are good, if they are struggling, well, they'll come around. Gee, thanks.

Buccigross is terrific as long as he's not trying too hard to be cool, and Thorne shines through ESPN's otherwise poor TV production. I like Bill Clement also, although he too tends to toe the middle road too much.

I guess I am spoiled by watching Hockey Night in Canada. Everything about the production is top notch, from the Best.Theme Song. EVER to the stellar Ron MacLean. But the number one thing you get is HONEST criticism, not the watered-down ratings-friendly crap you get on ESPN.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:57 PM   #837
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo

it would surprise me if he took it. I really do think he wants out of Boston.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:59 PM   #838
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Interesting on the cable deal, but I REALLY hope ESPN matches the offer. Hockey would be a perfect game on HDTV, and AFAIK, OLN doesn't broadcast in HD.

Saw this on Kuklas,

Quote:
Coming This Fall- OLN HD

I paid a visit to the OLN website today and saw this:
With OLN HD, our action-packed, edge -of-your-seat programming is even more impressive. Enjoy shows like The Lance Chronicles, Fly Fishing America and Gravity Files. Experience crystal clear images paired with first-rate content. High definition was made for the outdoor world that OLN delivers. Coming this fall.
Many of us are hoping for every NHL game in HDTV, but that isn’t going to happen. But it is nice to see OLN will have a HD channel just in case the NHL chooses them as their cable broadcast partner.
I noticed the website is a bit confusing though. I am not sure if the HD channel will only be VOD and not a live feed. Times should soon tell us I imagine.
Also, Comcast has part ownership of curent HD channels INHD & INHD2, so that may be another option for HD broadcasts.
I wonder if Mark Cuban’s HDNET stations will still be able to show NHL hockey in the fall?
Old 08-10-2005, 03:14 PM   #839
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
it would surprise me if he took it. I really do think he wants out of Boston.

really DD?? I'm not sure about that. Glen Murray has gone on the record as saying the reports of Joe wanting out of town are 110% false. But I guess you never know until it happens. We'll see. I think if he doesn't take this contract (obviously) he'll be on his way out of town.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:41 PM   #840
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

and speaking of Turek, he is retiring from the NHL and going back to Czechicantspellitka

Turek to me is like the Czech version of Chris Osgood - a really good goalie that unfairly gets a bad rap.

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 08-10-2005 at 05:44 PM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 06:17 PM   #841
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
His QO was in the low 2's. Man, another awesome move by the Pens. They have just had an amazing offseason. The Pens?!?!

SI

Report in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette is they signed him for 2 years, terms not disclosed.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:24 PM   #842
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

11 players filed for arbitration.

Quote:
Marian Hossa of Ottawa, Brenden Morrow of Dallas, Shawn Horcoff of Edmonton, Paul Mara of Phoenix, Mattias Ohlund of Vancouver, Dick Tarnstrom and Josef Melichar of Pittsburgh.
The New York Islanders featured the highest number of players, with Trent Hunter, Justin Papineau, Mike York and Brent Sopel

Flyers sign Robert Esche to a 2 year deal.
Canucks sign the Sedins to 1 yeal deals and Dan Cloutier accepts his QO of $2.34 million.
Ottawa signs Martin Havlat to a 1 yr $2.6 mil deal and Mike Fisher to a 3 year deal worth $4.5 mil.
Lindros seems to be on his way to the Leafs.
Bruins had Sergei Samsonov and P.J. Axelsson sign their QOs.

An update on the TV deal from Kuklas

Quote:
More on NHL Cable Deal
Tim Panaccio, the writer from the Philadelphia Inquirer who broke the Comcast Deal, was just on The Fan 590 in Toronto. He believes ESPN will negotiate with the NHL to carry some games this year. Tim said this will be good for the league and TV viewers, competition will keep everyone on their toes.
For the people with satellite, he said the NHL has told Comcast the NHL games they broadcast, must be made available to all dish users.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:05 PM   #843
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

C-bus signed Jan Hrdina... I really like that deal, and I LOVE that team (and I feel like I can root for them since I always semi-did the last season or two).

~rpi-fan
Old 08-10-2005, 08:58 PM   #844
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Saw this on Kuklas,

Well there is hope then...
Old 08-11-2005, 12:51 PM   #845
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Isles snapped up Brad Lukowich from the Lightning... another great, great signing. Isles have had an absolutely fantastic offseason!

~rpi-fan
Old 08-11-2005, 01:07 PM   #846
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Saw that the Lightning signed Rob Dimaio. He's a good 3rd-4th line winger who can chip in a timely goal here and there.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 03:05 PM   #847
Johnny93g
College Starter

sportsnet reports:

Lindros signs one-year, $1.55 million deal ...with the LEAFS

WOOHOO
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 03:06 PM   #848
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Thorton signed?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...55&hubName=nhl

Dangit, there was a '?' after that 3 year deal. Thorton signs for 3 years, $20 million.

Last edited by TazFTW : 08-11-2005 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:15 PM   #849
Simms
FOBL Commish

As somebody on HFBoards pointed out:

Nieuwendyk/Roberts - combined salary with Florida: $5 million
Allison/Lindros/O'neill - combined salary with Toronto: $4.55 million

Even with the inherent risk accompanying Allison and Lindros, that's a pretty damn good tradeoff, no matter how you cut it.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:54 PM   #850
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms
As somebody on HFBoards pointed out:

Nieuwendyk/Roberts - combined salary with Florida: $5 million
Allison/Lindros/O'neill - combined salary with Toronto: $4.55 million

Even with the inherent risk accompanying Allison and Lindros, that's a pretty damn good tradeoff, no matter how you cut it.

an excellent point, and a great set of deals for the Leafs. They really benefited from having 3 guys who really wanted to play in Toronto.