Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-21-2016, 08:31 AM   #801
Logan
Head Coach

Yeah I don't think you can trade players if they are unsigned.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:58 AM   #802
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
"Context from Panthers source: Panthers didn’t think looming distraction of an inevitable holdout was worth the one-year, $14 million lease."

That makes sense. But they knew that BEFORE they tagged him. Nothing seemed to change between then and now. So just don't tag him, have the $14 million available in FA, let him sign elsewhere for big money, and get a compensatory pick next season.

They seemed to have the worst of all worlds by tagging him and then rescinding the tag.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:03 AM   #803
miked
College Starter

If they had a deal in place (say to send him to JAX for a 2nd round pick and they would extend him), could he sign the tender, be dealt, and then renegotiate?
Old 04-21-2016, 09:09 AM   #804
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
That makes sense. But they knew that BEFORE they tagged him. Nothing seemed to change between then and now. So just don't tag him, have the $14 million available in FA, let him sign elsewhere for big money, and get a compensatory pick next season.

They seemed to have the worst of all worlds by tagging him and then rescinding the tag.

I think they thought they could either get something done or that Norman woudln't hold out and refuse to sign the tender. Look, this never happens. Most guys take the long term contract if it is offered. Most guys don't even threaten to hold out by not signing the tender.

Norman obviously flipped the script. We'll see if he gets more money than what Carolina offered him. Beyond that, I'm very interested to see if he's as successful in another system. (note: I'm not saying he won't be)

As for the FA deal, I don't think the Panthers were going to be all that active there anyway. I think this 14 million is going to free up extensions for players currently on their roster.

You have Star Lotulelei, Ryan Kalil, and Kawann Short that all need extensions or they'll be in the franchise tag boat next season. They now have the cap room to get creative with those deals.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:11 AM   #805
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Good article. Browns fans should definitely not click through.

The day the Browns passed on Big Ben

The Browns have the ammo to trade back up and get Paxton Lynch if they want him.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:31 AM   #806
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It will be interesting to see if this changes the way that players respond to the franchise tag. Probably not. Lately the move seems to be to sign it immediately or to hold out until the deadline where you can work on a new deal. I think that deadline(june 1st or july 1st maybe?) needs to come forward until closer to the draft. The players have really gotten punched in the gut with some of the new changes to the rookie cap, etc.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:32 AM   #807
stevew
Hall Of Famer

And the Browns should probably see if RG3 can be a franchise type guy again before worrying about drafting another QB. It's not like he's 31 years old and a journeyman.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:41 AM   #808
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'm pro-Browns on this trade, too. It's an obvious Moneyball type play, right? Squeeze the max value while others are in draft frenzy, you still land an anchor-caliber player with the top ten pick, but you get a guy for much cheaper and likely at a far riskier position than QB. Or you splash around elsewhere, as needed. But I like this move, mainly because it has next year's 1st in it.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:58 AM   #809
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I'm pro-Browns on this trade, too. It's an obvious Moneyball type play, right? Squeeze the max value while others are in draft frenzy, you still land an anchor-caliber player with the top ten pick, but you get a guy for much cheaper and likely at a far riskier position than QB. Or you splash around elsewhere, as needed. But I like this move, mainly because it has next year's 1st in it.

I don't know how you cannot like this move from the Browns perspective and I've seen very little on the internet to state otherwise.

Yet, despite overwhelming odds, we know the Browns can grab the jaws of defeat from the jaws of victory.

Tell me that there isn't a part of every person on here thinking "Well, I guess whoever the Eagles draft is going to go to 7 pro bowls and win 2 titles while the Browns will still be scrambling for QB's 7 years from now"

Then we'll find out in an article like the one above that the Browns scouting department was against the trade from the start because they KNEW Goff/Wentz would be a 7 time pro bowler.

I'm a Rockies fan. If they make what seems like a "good" move, I automatically try to figure out how they messed the thing up. Time will tell on this, but I think the Browns got a good deal here.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:10 PM   #810
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
This is one of the best trades the Browns have ever made.

Ranks right below the Trent Richardson trade.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:26 PM   #811
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This anonymous Twitter account keeps leaking the NFL's biggest news

New jerseys for the Rams? Hopfully traditional blue and yellow. Or traditional blue and white for people older than myself.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:25 PM   #812
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Apparently Josh Norman is blaming his agent and saying he had told him to accept a previous tender from the Panthers. However the Panthers have since rescinded the offer. Weird story all around.

Local radio is reporting a major riff between Norman's agent and the Panthers brass and apparently Norman has an irrevocable deal with his agent.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:37 PM   #813
Logan
Head Coach

The "irrevocable part" sounds like something the NFLPA wouldn't allow agents to do as part of their certification process.

Last edited by Logan : 04-21-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:56 PM   #814
stevew
Hall Of Famer

You heard anything about Mac Alexander CU? Very difficult to deal with off the field or is it some team trying to drive him down late in the first.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:44 PM   #815
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
You heard anything about Mac Alexander CU? Very difficult to deal with off the field or is it some team trying to drive him down late in the first.

He just seems like a guy who is really confident in his abilities and doesn't care if that turns people off. Obviously CU knows more, but I've followed him from afar going back to when he named Rutgers his leader in his recruitment for some reason. A big "oh well" on that one.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:11 PM   #816
Butter
Coordinator

I'm not CUTiger, BUT there are a lot of rumors going around that he "faked" his hamstring injury in both the Orange Bowl and National Championship games, but especially the title game... in order to avoid a real injury that would hurt his NFL chances.

Not sure if I believe those rumors, but a bunch of people seem unable to let that one go.

He was basically put on an island for 3 years and told to cover the opponent's best one-on-one... hard not to see how that might bubble up into some "me first" issues and "anti-team" reports.

Last edited by Butter : 04-21-2016 at 03:12 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:00 PM   #817
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Sports Science does a pretty amazing breakdown of Jalen Ramsey's athletic ability...

Jalen Ramsey
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:09 PM   #818
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I saw some redic coverage stats for him which mask the fact that he had 0 interceptions in college. He's a very intriguing prospect. Sort of like some FOF draft prospect with huge coverage bars and a questionable interception bar
Old 04-21-2016, 04:12 PM   #819
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I saw some redic coverage stats for him which mask the fact that he had 0 interceptions in college. He's a very intriguing prospect. Sort of like some FOF draft prospect with huge coverage bars and a questionable interception bar

He had 3 Interceptions in college...just none last year...(again I guess it is arguable that he should have had more with his ability)
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:35 PM   #820
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

If my CB is keeping the other guy from catching the ball, I'm ok with low INT numbers.

Alexander's "I'm the greatest" attitude means that he will be loved by his fan base (if he can back it up) or hated (if he can't). I don't think that many folks will have a neutral opinion on him after a couple of years.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:36 PM   #821
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola: I think that he'll be a star. Just a gut feeling.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:39 PM   #822
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I can see Alexander being a Revis type, playing out his rookie deal, then holding out for huge amounts of cash and going from team to team getting as many big pay days as he can. I think he's gonna be really good, but he's probably only a rental, and he might have a little too much juice for some organizations. Seems like a guy you draft if you have some big pieces and want to add him in while he is relatively cheap.. Seattle probably has a serious desire for him. I wouldn't mind the Bengals getting him and letting Kirkpatrick walk after this season.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 04-21-2016 at 04:40 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:40 PM   #823
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

He might have been talking about Alexander with the zero ints?

Mac is a different dude. He is a 1st generation US citizen, his parents Haitian Immigrants. Both his parents still work in the fields of FL today picking crops. His Dad has said he wont quit even when Mac gets paid, but he wants his wife to relax. Both Mac and his brother Mackenro (former Auburn S) are supremely confident they just display it different. Ro liked to talk smack and have fun off the field. Mac has an almost maniacal work ethic.

Honestly if I have a concern about Mac (if I was an NFL team) it would be that he would literally live in the club house for 5 years stack up cash and then retire with his health. He is a very cerebral young man. I wouldnt say he is overly intelligent but very much in his head and thoughts.

I will say this regarding the NC game. Mac had been very critical privately of fellow Clemson DB Jayron Kearse for mailing it in the second half of the year. Kearse was scared of getting injured and losing his pay day. The smoke coming out the week of the Bama game about Mac possibly not playing due to injury...there was no injury. Mac was physically and violently ill worrying himself sick, literally worrying himself to the point of puking, as he had a nightmare that he blew his knee out in his last college game didnt get drafted and his parents died before he ever got to buy them a house. He had snakes in his head in that game. He is way too proud to ever tell an NFL team that but if he did things would get better.

He lacks elite speed. But he is very sticky. He has 12 year NFL starter potential though never quite All Pro potential. However he is also Mike Tyson. He has never failed. Never been unable to succeed. The biggest question is the first time he is beaten can his psyche handle it?

Last opinion. Mac could have finished the NC game physically. If he does I think it would have had a huge impact in the way it played out. I think he is haunted by that. He packed his stuff and left the stadium on foot, not waiting for the team bus back to the hotel.

I have no hard feelings for the decisions he made, I think he listened to the wrong people. Those wrong people are still in his ear. Those whispers are in NFL front offices. That same player he was very critical of, has also repeatedly complained to friends that at least 4 NFL teams have flown him in for an interview and spent the entire time asking about Mac...did that person throw him under the bus? I dont know. I have my suspicions.

Oh fwiw I have the cleats Mac wore in the mNC game, he gave them to my son...I am biased.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 04-21-2016 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:21 PM   #824
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think that the question of whether a guy can be a "13 year starter" is over-rated in the 2016 NFL. With a hard cap, even if a guy is good, you are going to have to pay to keep him after his fifth year. And, with injuries, a lot of guys never make it that far anyway.

I think that you really need to look at what you think the guy can do for you over a five-year window. Anything beyond that is too speculative to matter.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:06 PM   #825
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
This anonymous Twitter account keeps leaking the NFL's biggest news

New jerseys for the Rams? Hopfully traditional blue and yellow. Or traditional blue and white for people older than myself.

The latter would be me.

Just the other day I spent an hour on amazon, ebay and nflshops to find a shirt with the blue/white helmet.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:01 PM   #826
PilotMan
Head Coach

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:58 AM   #827
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
The latter would be me.

Just the other day I spent an hour on amazon, ebay and nflshops to find a shirt with the blue/white helmet.

yeah, I wasn't going to call you out specifically but I was thinking it.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:26 AM   #828
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Apparently Josh Norman is blaming his agent and saying he had told him to accept a previous tender from the Panthers. However the Panthers have since rescinded the offer. Weird story all around.

Local radio is reporting a major riff between Norman's agent and the Panthers brass and apparently Norman has an irrevocable deal with his agent.

Norman got new representation yesterday, per Pro Football Talk, but has to wait five days to have him engage with teams under a cooling off period required by the CBA. Strange story all around.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:10 AM   #829
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Norman got new representation yesterday, per Pro Football Talk, but has to wait five days to have him engage with teams under a cooling off period required by the CBA. Strange story all around.

Looks like Washington is going to get first shot at him, followed by San Francisco. Which would make the Redskins/Giants more interesting/dreadful I guess after the fiasco last season.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:20 AM   #830
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

NFLPA probably told his agent that he can try and enforce the "irrevocable" deal if he wants, but good luck getting another client if he does.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:23 AM   #831
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Back to Mackensie Alexander. I've found myself with longish commutes to various courts over the last few weeks, so I've listened to a lot of draft podcasts. And pretty much everyone that watches college football is 100% in LOVE with the guy.

So he's my new "I hope the Saints get him" guy. When you have a historically bad defense, you need great players. You also need players with a cockiness that can help turn around the culture of losing and lameness. He seems to bring both.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:43 AM   #832
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Mac and Stephone back together? I could enjoy that!
Old 04-22-2016, 01:44 PM   #833
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Looks like Washington is going to get first shot at him, followed by San Francisco. Which would make the Redskins/Giants more interesting/dreadful I guess after the fiasco last season.

He'll never make it out of Washington. The Danny will offer him twice what anyone else will before the coffee is even cool enough to sip. We've seen this rodeo before.

On my drive into DC this morning, I saw a couple of armored cars headed west, no doubt carrying the signing bonus.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:08 PM   #834
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Norman to Washington. 5/75, 50M in guaranteed money
Old 04-22-2016, 07:25 PM   #835
SegRat
High School Varsity

Stupid signing. I don't think Norman pushes them over the top.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:48 PM   #836
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Yeah, amidst the dust-cloud of everybody trying to jump on the Redskins wagon late in the year it kind of got lost in the wash that they looked absolutely horrible to start the season, the whole front office, ownership & the coaching staff was being painted as buffoons and the media was fitting Cousins for a noose. I'm not going to be too surprised if it turns out that last year's finish was a bit of a fluke and shit falls apart immediately for the Skins, Gruden and/or Cousins.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:11 PM   #837
Thomkal
Head Coach

Redskins play Carolina on MNF this year-should be a good one.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:06 PM   #838
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, there was excitement here around them but man - they played a lot of mediocre-to-crappy teams last year. Granted, three of those teams were in their division. They have as much of a chance to win the East again as anyone, but no, I'm not sold.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:33 AM   #839
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If Norman can lock down on Bryant and OBJ that's 1/4 of their schedule. I think it's a really good signing.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:02 AM   #840
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
He'll never make it out of Washington. The Danny will offer him twice what anyone else will before the coffee is even cool enough to sip. We've seen this rodeo before.

On my drive into DC this morning, I saw a couple of armored cars headed west, no doubt carrying the signing bonus.

I love this post so much.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:08 AM   #841
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
If Norman can lock down on Bryant and OBJ that's 1/4 of their schedule. I think it's a really good signing.

Yeah its a good signing for Washington and for Norman individually. Assuming he can actually shut them down, that is. Beckham really missed an easy score in that game on a go route and just dropped the ball. I think Norman matches up a little better with Dez than Odell. But should be fun to watch them all.

I'm still not sold on Cousins being able to handle pressure though. So I'm inclined to think they had the best season they can have with him, barring legendary Oline play.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:34 AM   #842
Danny
Head Coach

If Norman plays like he did last year its a good signing. I feel he's likely to disappoint though. Only one elite year (pretty average before that) in a contract year playing behind a really good front 7.
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:36 AM   #843
Thomkal
Head Coach

to no one's surprise:

Report: Manziel indicted on assault charge
Old 04-25-2016, 10:38 AM   #844
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

Actually, I'm quite surprised. If this is the case I think it is, she seemed rather clearly to be at least as nuts as he is and a fair bit of his problem.

I don't see a conviction coming out of this
Old 04-25-2016, 11:31 AM   #845
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
If Norman plays like he did last year its a good signing. I feel he's likely to disappoint though. Only one elite year (pretty average before that) in a contract year playing behind a really good front 7.

But will Washington shift their D to make him play the same.

Just tried looking and cant find it but there was either a FI or MMQB article around the SuperBowl where the Panthers played more zone shell than anyone in the league and by a wide margin over everyone except 1 or 2 teams.

I think thats the key. Norman is a good zone QB and has good ball instincts.....put him in Man and he is average NFL CB, not worth the money.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:24 PM   #846
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Actually, I'm quite surprised. If this is the case I think it is, she seemed rather clearly to be at least as nuts as he is and a fair bit of his problem.

I don't see a conviction coming out of this

I don't know. Some parts of her story can be validated (the valet who got the car for example) and when you are with someone who starts making death threats or suicide threats you start to go a little wacko yourself. I'm not sure I see anything happening here either, but if some of her story can be verified, I can see why charges were brought.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:28 PM   #847
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

(sighs) damnit.

Brady's 4 game suspension reinstated.

Fuck the NFL.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:38 PM   #848
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post

I don't put all faith in football metrics but I'm pretty sure Pro Football Focus had Norman ranked top 20 in 2013, #3 overall in 2014, and #1 in 2015. It seems like he just had one year of insane hype, not just one year of elite play.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:02 PM   #849
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

They've talked about having future NFL drafts in various cities around the country. My guess is Boston is not next.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:14 PM   #850
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
(sighs) damnit.

Brady's 4 game suspension reinstated.

Fuck the NFL.

Whatever. The idea that Kraft took the draft pick punishment because he thought the NFL would be easy on Brady is laughable. If you really want to be pissed at anyone, be pissed at the NFLPA. They gave him the power to do this and then the NFLPA lawyers supporting Brady were crushed in the appeals case.

The Patriots KNEW they were losing this appeal which is why they structured Tom's new contract the way they did. I'm shocked this hasn't been a bigger story this offseason, anyone following this case could see it coming a mile away.

I still think the NFLPA and NFL are going to come to an agreement about future punishments and Brady will be given a reduced suspension or have it wiped out with a fine.