Old 07-20-2007, 11:28 AM   #801
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
IGN's review is up:

hxxp://xbox360.ign.com/articles/806/806766p1.html\

Closing Comments
Is it a leap and bound beyond last year's game? You bet. NCAA Football 08 is easily improved over a weak effort that was delivered last season. It's on the edge of greatness as well, particularly thanks to a deeper Dynasty mode and inclusion of Campus Legend mode that helps add to the replayability of the title. However, the game still features a number of technical and balancing issues that keep it from being a truly great football game. However, football fans won't be let down by this game, and they should definitely check it out.

IGN Ratings for NCAA Football 08 (X360)
Rating Description
out of 10 click here for ratings guide

8.0 Presentation
The presentation of the game is much better, thanks to the inclusion of The Weather Channel feature and new animations. Too Bad the Motivation feature is weak.

8.0 Graphics
Thanks to new animations, the game looks much better, but some of the old glitches are still present in this year's game.

8.0 Sound
The trio of Herbstreit, Corso and Nessler are still solid, but you still wish that there were more fight songs, cheers and noise present in the game.

8.5 Gameplay
The new break animations, improved hit stick and tackles really improve upon the gameplay.

8.0 Lasting Appeal
The game is much deeper than it was last year, but with Campus Legend being too easy and elements of Dynasty out of your control, this isn't as great as it could have been.

Impressive OVERALL

Kind of contradictory comments here. Says it's on 'the edge of greatness', but says there are still some issues and that the career modes are generally too easy. It's kind of like they're saying it's really good because the last one was average.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:43 AM   #802
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Kind of contradictory comments here. Says it's on 'the edge of greatness', but says there are still some issues and that the career modes are generally too easy. It's kind of like they're saying it's really good because the last one was average.

I thought that review was one of the worst reviews I'd ever read. The whole time I was reading it, I couldn't decide which side he was going to be on because, as you said, he seemed to contradict himself over and over.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:49 AM   #803
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I thought that review was one of the worst reviews I'd ever read. The whole time I was reading it, I couldn't decide which side he was going to be on because, as you said, he seemed to contradict himself over and over.

I can't say that I necessarily base much on IGN reviews anyway, but I had a similar impression. Think it says more about the reviewer's writing ability than anything about the game. More confusing than informative.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:50 AM   #804
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
It's kind of like they're saying it's really good because the last one was average.

That's exactly what I was thinking...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:02 PM   #805
Logan
Head Coach

I really hope the auto assistance with recruiting works well, because I'm gonna need to rely on it. I like all the additional features, but it's just way too tedious to do every week.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:10 PM   #806
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I really hope the auto assistance with recruiting works well, because I'm gonna need to rely on it. I like all the additional features, but it's just way too tedious to do every week.

Agreed, that's what I am waiting to hear impressions on. I love the NCAA games but I am not a micromanager at all and I hate getting hung up on little details.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:42 PM   #807
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Woot, got the 360 rosters locked and loaded
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:50 PM   #808
nole4sho
n00b

Is there anyway I can use my USB drive to import rosters to my XBOX360...
Old 07-20-2007, 03:51 PM   #809
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Don't know - is there a way to copy files from the USB to the 360's hard drive?
how do you know?

Old 07-20-2007, 04:12 PM   #810
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Oh god, having the roster names makes me so f'ing happy.

I just finished getting them set up on my console. Just a reminder: Everyone make sure they rename them, so it Microsoft doesn't screw over the creator of the file.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:58 PM   #811
rowech
Pro Starter

Can you find these transfer kits anywhere anymore?
Old 07-20-2007, 06:08 PM   #812
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The transfer kits still seem to be available on Gamestop's website.

For those that are finding the CL too easy, it is possible to adjust sliders once each game starts (and they appear to stick from game to game.) I've changed the default Varsity to All-American and am also using some sliders that I've been working on in play now games, but with 5 minute quarters for CL mode. So far, the game has been reasonably challenging for me as a HB.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:13 PM   #813
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

For those that are finding the CL too easy, it is possible to adjust sliders once each game starts (and they appear to stick from game to game.) I've changed the default Varsity to All-American and am also using some sliders that I've been working on in play now games, but with 5 minute quarters for CL mode. So far, the game has been reasonably challenging for me as a HB.

And this would be the only thing I would need to get the real names?
Old 07-20-2007, 06:16 PM   #814
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:

Could you give me the exact link for them? I'm not finding them at all.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:22 PM   #815
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
I played the first game of my Maryland dynasty last night. 8 min quarters, AA with interceptions reduced on the sliders.

Our first game was against FCS East. At the end of the first it's tied 3-3 and I'm thinking, "this is pretty good, I'm not going to run away with this." Then, I start moving the ball quite easily for a TD, intercept the next pass for a TD and, by halftime, I'm up 38-7. I decide to supersim the rest of the way - BAD DECISION. We win, 96-10 ?!!? I think I might have to start over now - as my offensive statistics are WAY skewed and it doesn't feel like my team anymore.

The first few days of NCAA are the most tenuous for me. I want to jump in and play, but I always find it hard to find sliders that will allow me to easily beat the chump teams (but not 96-10) and yet get beaten handily by the teams that should. I should probably go back to "Play now" until I'm fully satisfied.

Sliders has nothing do with simming. Sliders are for playing the game.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:30 PM   #816
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Could you give me the exact link for them? I'm not finding them at all.

Now, I can't find it there either. However, here is a link to buy them directly from the main distributor:

http://us.codejunkies.com/shop/produ...l=1&ProdID=323

Also, I agree with Jbmagic, I've got sliders that tune interceptions way down, but I don't think they have any affect when I'm super simming which means that I'll probably only use that for a series or two per game to bump up my number of plays to realistic numbers while playing 8 minute quarters.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:42 PM   #817
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Now, I can't find it there either. However, here is a link to buy them directly from the main distributor:

http://us.codejunkies.com/shop/produ...l=1&ProdID=323

Also, I agree with Jbmagic, I've got sliders that tune interceptions way down, but I don't think they have any affect when I'm super simming which means that I'll probably only use that for a series or two per game to bump up my number of plays to realistic numbers while playing 8 minute quarters.

Thanks for the linke EF27. Is this all I need to get the actual names transfered?
Old 07-20-2007, 06:43 PM   #818
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

You'll also need a 64 MB memory card.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:52 PM   #819
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic View Post

I realize that. I played the first half and then simmed the second half.

Btw, I just played Maryland at Oklahoma and had a THOROUGHLY enjoyable loss to them, 20-7. It was great! Dynasty time!
how do you know?

Old 07-20-2007, 08:31 PM   #820
Richard Weed
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot when that defense is appropriate. However, I meant more like "execution" of a pass rush. I can't seem to do anything with the shoulder buttons. Is it a timing thing? Do you combine the speed burst with spin moves? I also am against using the "jump the snap" button...seems a little cheap to me and I hate when the CPU does it.
Sorry then. I can't help you. I control the safeties (primarily the FS). To get a good pass rush you need to mix up your blitzes and what also helps is moving the defensive coverage into a blitz and blitzing. Later on, move the coverage into a blitz when you have called a play that isn't blitzing. Sorta like real life.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:31 PM   #821
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I realize how some people could find the recruiting tedious, but I'm just starting my dynasty and I'm thrilled with how much depth appears to be present. If this all works like it should, I'll be happy to spend tons of time recruiting between games.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:33 PM   #822
Richard Weed
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Don't know - is there a way to copy files from the USB to the 360's hard drive?
No. You need the memory card and transfer kit. Look at it as a one-time cost that you'll use every year for the college games instead of a recurring cost every year and it's well worth the money.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:35 PM   #823
Richard Weed
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
I realize how some people could find the recruiting tedious, but I'm just starting my dynasty and I'm thrilled with how much depth appears to be present. If this all works like it should, I'll be happy to spend tons of time recruiting between games.
Ditto. I just want to win my next game so my recruiting is easier. I think I've finally got the hang of it...at the cost of making a lot of my footballs...er...recruits upset. You have to make the football happy and then hang up. I just found that you can stop your pitch in mid-pitch by pressing "B". If you let it go too long the happy football may turn back into a regular football face.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:49 PM   #824
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic View Post

See, I think you might be wrong about this. I've seen interceptions get cut down and penalties goe up in simming along with playing the game.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:27 PM   #825
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Of course, I started my first dynasty with USC and I decided to recruit a 4 star LT who was from Los Angeles and had USC and UCLA as his top two schools. I did a soft sell on National Championship. Then, I offered him a scholarship in the 1st week of the regular season. He accepted on the spot, saying it was always his dream to play for USC. Love it. Of course, most of my recruits are outside of the city and are taking their time to mull over their options.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:29 PM   #826
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Weed View Post
Ditto. I just want to win my next game so my recruiting is easier. I think I've finally got the hang of it...at the cost of making a lot of my footballs...er...recruits upset. You have to make the football happy and then hang up. I just found that you can stop your pitch in mid-pitch by pressing "B". If you let it go too long the happy football may turn back into a regular football face.

Cool, I didn't know that about the "B" button. Thanks
Old 07-20-2007, 09:54 PM   #827
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

I know EA rightfully gets grief for the inaccuracies in their rosters, but I just threw a TD pass to my backup LT who was accidently in as my 2nd TE. I was like WTF, he caught that when I realized it was my T. Then, I researched and Charles Johnson was initially recruited to USC as a TE out of HS before he bulked up to become a T. They gave him a 76 catch rating in the game which is better than some of the other TE's on my roster.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:54 PM   #828
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I just had a sweet game against Idaho with USC in week 1. I really liked Patrick Turner's block on this play in which Vidal Hazelton took it to the house:

http://www.easportsworld.com/#video-...(XBOX360)/4495
Old 07-20-2007, 10:57 PM   #829
markprior22
High School Varsity

Quote:
I realize that. I played the first half and then simmed the second half.

Btw, I just played Maryland at Oklahoma and had a THOROUGHLY enjoyable loss to them, 20-7. It was great! Dynasty time!

BTW...it's been noted that there is a problem with supersim. It runs way too many plays. That's why your score ended up so high. I don't think it had anything to do with your slider settings.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:03 PM   #830
Richard Weed
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
I just had a sweet game against Idaho with USC in week 1. I really liked Patrick Turner's block on this play in which Vidal Hazelton took it to the house:

http://www.easportsworld.com/#video-...(XBOX360)/4495
Nice. Looked real on that block and he came out of nowhere. I'm going to have to figure out how to upload the videos to easports.

I'm assuming that was the wire camera. It would've been cool to see it from the sideline or pressbox camera angle so we could see him coming to make the block.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:13 PM   #831
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nice. Looked real on that block and he came out of nowhere. I'm going to have to figure out how to upload the videos to easports.

I'm assuming that was the wire camera. It would've been cool to see it from the sideline or pressbox camera angle so we could see him coming to make the block.

Yeah, that was the wire cam. I'll try some different angles next time... Anyone know of a good site to upload these files to? I've saved it to my computer, but I'm having trouble uploading it to my current webspace provider.

If I can find a good site, I think I'm going to start a dynasty thread after all.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:34 AM   #832
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Ugh. See dynasty thread for utter heart break.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 02:04 AM   #833
Phototropic
Mascot

Quote:
Yeah, that was the wire cam. I'll try some different angles next time... Anyone know of a good site to upload these files to? I've saved it to my computer, but I'm having trouble uploading it to my current webspace provider.

If I can find a good site, I think I'm going to start a dynasty thread after all.
Brightcove works well. I'll use this chance to show off a sweet TD I had tonight in a 20-23 loss to Eastern Michigan.

http://www.brightcove.com/title.jsp?title=1119265256
Phototropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 08:09 AM   #834
rowech
Pro Starter

Gamespot review = 8.0 and last year's was...an 8.2? All I've heard is about how bad last year's game was and now it was better? There's no way this game is worse than last year's. I don't believe it.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:17 AM   #835
Hoya1
High School JV

still no PS3 rosters.

I'm waiting for these to start my career.
Hoya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 08:21 AM   #836
Richard Weed
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phototropic View Post
Brightcove works well. I'll use this chance to show off a sweet TD I had tonight in a 20-23 loss to Eastern Michigan.

That was an awesome one handed catch. It was a little weird how he did that jump or got hit afterwards though. My team, Army, is far from great so I don't really have any highlights yet.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:23 AM   #837
Richard Weed
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoya1 View Post
still no PS3 rosters.

I'm waiting for these to start my career.
According to this thread, http://www.maddenmania.com/forums/sh...163034&page=30
they're almost done.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:28 AM   #838
Hoya1
High School JV

Quote:
According to this thread, http://www.maddenmania.com/forums/sh...163034&page=30
they're almost done.

just noticed that too. this should be good
Hoya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 08:31 AM   #839
Richard Weed
H.S. Freshman Team

They have some other good recruiting tips in this thread:

http://www.maddenmania.com/forums/sh...=163375&page=7
Old 07-21-2007, 08:50 AM   #840
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Gamespot review = 8.0 and last year's was...an 8.2? All I've heard is about how bad last year's game was and now it was better? There's no way this game is worse than last year's. I don't believe it.

There is no way it is worse than last year. Gamespot revised their review scale earlier this year, doing away with tenths and only giving whole points and half points. I can only guess that they also decided they were going to be more stringent in their scoring as well. Shrug, I know that I'm going to have a hard time between choosing on whether to read book 7 or play this all weekend long.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-21-2007 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:55 AM   #841
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phototropic View Post

Nice TD! Thanks for the suggestion. That was easy to join and I'm going to start uploading videos there for a dynasty.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:58 AM   #842
gstelmack
Pro Starter

So I decided to buy this with the $55 Best Buy gift card work gave me. Since I wanted no part of actually walking into a Best Buy to spend it, I pre-ordered online.

It shipped Monday. I STILL don't have it, although my USPS delivery won't be until this afternoon, so there is still hope for today. Apparently Best Buy decided that since I wouldn't come into a store, they'd find another way to screw me by using some "UPS handles shipping duties for the USPS" scam that can't figure out how to get it here in less than a week. And that can't seem to return a tracking number status fully on the web in less than 5 minutes (it spins and spins, and when I hit "stop" the page is broken in the middle of "it arrived in Atlanta on the 18th).

It's been a long freakin' time since I've had to wait more than 3 days from ship-date for an Internet order, and not been able to get decent tracking info on it while waiting. Best Buy managed both. Way to go!
Old 07-21-2007, 09:30 AM   #843
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Started my dynasty beating FCS East, 34-7 (missed extra point on my part). My passing is still horrible, and I still fumble a lot, even when I THINK I'm covering up. The next game took Maryland to Florida International. My starting QB throws 3 interceptions in the first quarter and a half, so I bench him and bring out a freshman. He doesn't give up an interception, but can't really complete a pass either. So, I'm beating FIU 13-7, late in the 4th quarter and they are DRIVING. Good grief! On a 4th and 8 at my 13 yard line with less than a minute to go, I intercept and run it all the way back for the clincher, and we squeak past them, 21-7.

My offense stinks - both of us throw way too many interceptions and I have a tendency to fumble when it's most crucial. I'm hoping the next game against West Virginia will show that a good team doesn't throw so many interceptions. If not, I'm gonna be miffed - I'm getting about 10 turnovers per game, between the miserable teams I'm playing and my horrible decision-making.
how do you know?

Old 07-21-2007, 09:44 AM   #844
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

FWIW, I'm playing with interceptions at 0 and knockdowns at 100 as well as a few other sliders. It's a slight modification of Mudtigers' from OS. In the last two games, I've thrown 1 interception in each game and the CPU has only thrown 1 between the 2 games. The high knockdown slider is key to helping prevent the interceptions. Also, with Defensive Awareness slightly lowered, the CPU is still completed about 60% of its passes even though I have an excellent defensive team.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:48 AM   #845
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I have interceptions at 0 and knockdowns at 70 - I'll give it a shot at 100. Thanks, EF!
how do you know?

Old 07-21-2007, 10:24 AM   #846
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Here's three runs (RB #44) from my HS CL games:

http://www.easportsworld.com/#video-...(XBOX360)/4622
Old 07-21-2007, 10:28 AM   #847
Logan
Head Coach

Is there some complete agreed-upon AA sliders yet?
Old 07-21-2007, 10:54 AM   #848
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
There is no way it is worse than last year. Gamespot revised their review scale earlier this year, doing away with tenths and only giving whole points and half points. I can only guess that they also decided they were going to be more stringent in their scoring as well. Shrug, I know that I'm going to have a hard time between choosing on whether to read book 7 or play this all weekend long.

Since I don't care about Harry Potter but my wife does, everything works out great. I get football and she gets Potter.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:11 AM   #849
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is there some complete agreed-upon AA sliders yet?

These aren't consensus sliders by any means, but these work for me (they are a modified form of Mud Tiger's from OS):

All-American
8 minute quarter (I use a series or two of Super Sim each game to help get a realistic number of plays each game)

All Penalties maxed except clipping at default.

Default Sliders play a very defensive oriented game in my opinion, these are focused on opening it up a bit and also lowering the number of interceptions. All sliders are the same for the CPU and Human:

QB Accuracy: 50

Pass Blocking: 60 (too many sacks without this bump, but dominant pass rushers still usually get 1-3 a game.)

WR Catching: 45 (makes guys who get nailed drop it a bit more.)

RB Ability: 50

Run Blocking: 60 (good offensive lines open up the holes more on both sides.)

Defensive Awareness: 30 (opens up the game a bit and is important to pass offenses particularly with knockdowns at 100.)

Knockdowns: 100 (lowers interceptions)

Interceptions: 0

Break Block: 40 (gives a bit more open feeling to the offenses - on the downside it occasionally causes the appearance of suction blocking.)

Tackling: 40 (1 on 1 tacklers miss a bit more)

FG Power: 25 (before I did this, my relatively poor USC kicker was hitting 50 yarders - now his max range is about 45.)

FG Accuracy: 25

Punt Power: 25 (too many booming punts without this)

Punt Accuracy: 25

Kickoff Power: 25 (only the stronger kickers kick it into the endzone.)

I've had 4 good games with these and am starting my dynasty with these sliders.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:17 AM   #850
Logan
Head Coach

Thanks EF.