Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-28-2008, 01:09 PM   #801
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Legace was a lot of fun to listen to on Saturday night. So was DiPietro, although DiPietro seemed to be trying a little too hard with his jokes.

The goalie mics were great. I liked when Manny was doing play by play.

Quote:
My favorite was when he said that one of the players was using a Bowflex, and then Mike Emrick asks him to explain "for the people at home" what a Bowflex is.

They need to lock Doc Emrick and Pierre McGuire in a room and throw away the key.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:12 PM   #802
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
They need to lock Doc Emrick and Pierre McGuire in a room and throw away the key.
I love Doc, even if he seems a bit out of touch with the real world.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:14 PM   #803
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I love Doc, even if he seems a bit out of touch with the real world.

I am just messing with you. I use to like him a lot, but now that I have to listen to him do Devils broadcasts...it makes me dislike him.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:15 PM   #804
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I am just messing with you. I use to like him a lot, but now that I have to listen to him do Devils broadcasts...it makes me dislike him.
Just become a Devils fan and your problems are solved!
Old 01-28-2008, 01:18 PM   #805
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Just become a Devils fan and your problems are solved!

That would cause a problem because the fan in that sentence would become fans. I don't want to be jumping on any bandwagons.

Plus I usually listen to music to fall asleep...not hockey games.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #806
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
That would cause a problem because the fan in that sentence would become fans. I don't want to be jumping on any bandwagons.

Plus I usually listen to music to fall asleep...not hockey games.
If you weren't a large former college football quarterback who's still in great physical shape, I'd go up to Murrysville and give you a beating!
Old 01-28-2008, 02:03 PM   #807
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
If you weren't a large former college football quarterback who's still in great physical shape, I'd go up to Murrysville and give you a beating!

Can this happen in Pittsburgh instead...before a Pens game, after Jeff Jimmerson sings the national anthem?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:14 PM   #808
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i will defend doc emrick to the death.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:21 PM   #809
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Given my irrational hatred for the Red Wings...

I think it's about time you put this childish thing to rest.

Irrational hatred is not a good thing. Hatred takes a lot of effort. You don't want to be wasting your energies on something that's not fully examined. Rational hate is fine. It's healthy, But irrational hatred is just a complete waste.

I reckon if you examined things closely, you would come to realize that you actually quite like the Red Wings. I think you'd find it would lead to a healthier life for you. For example, you could have loved Manny Legace many, many years ago. Love's great. You could still love Brian Rafalski today! He's having a career year, don't you know? If you liked the Wings, you'd be much more apt to follow the rest of his career and enjoy it, just like Brian is.

Come on. Enough's enough.

P.S. I like Doc Emerick. He calls a good game.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:23 PM   #810
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Hey Suburban...are you going to the Pens/Flyers game on Feb 10th?
Old 01-28-2008, 02:38 PM   #811
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

See, I look at the Red Wings and remember that Brian Rafalski is a heck of a defenseman, and I don't hate him. It's damn near impossible to hate Nicklas Lidstrom, and I don't hate him. A lot of good, hardworking players have been through Detroit for as long as I can remember. They've had a few players who rub me the wrong way like Hasek and Shanahan and Hull, but every team's got players like that.

I guess this developed back in the shortened 1995 season. I'm not sure why. They had such a great blend of offense, defense, and discipline, and I just couldn't stand that they were the "all-everything" team. I was still fairly new as a Devils fan and a hockey fan at that time, and they just seemed to be the easiest non-rival to hate. Maybe I kinda wanted my team to play like that. You'd think I'd have gotten over it pretty quickly, considering that my team ended up winning the Cup by beating these guys in a sweep that same year.

Still, even after that, I was mad at Detroit's success. The Wings are getting harder to hate, and they're actually fun as hell to watch, just because they're so damn good. Even in this time of shootouts and the "overtime losses" category, they're still a team that you expect to win 50 games each year.

I admit that I don't know what it is. I guess I really should've put all the hatred away when Rafalski went to Detroit and I didn't get mad. I'll never be a Scott Gomez fan again for the rest of my life, but I wish Rafalski all the best, even when he went to a team that I've claimed to dislike for so long.

Maybe I don't really hate the Red Wings anymore.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:40 PM   #812
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Dola

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:45 PM   #813
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
See, I look at the Red Wings and remember that Brian Rafalski is a heck of a defenseman, and I don't hate him. It's damn near impossible to hate Nicklas Lidstrom, and I don't hate him. A lot of good, hardworking players have been through Detroit for as long as I can remember. They've had a few players who rub me the wrong way like Hasek and Shanahan and Hull, but every team's got players like that.

I guess this developed back in the shortened 1995 season. I'm not sure why. They had such a great blend of offense, defense, and discipline, and I just couldn't stand that they were the "all-everything" team. I was still fairly new as a Devils fan and a hockey fan at that time, and they just seemed to be the easiest non-rival to hate. Maybe I kinda wanted my team to play like that. You'd think I'd have gotten over it pretty quickly, considering that my team ended up winning the Cup by beating these guys in a sweep that same year.

Still, even after that, I was mad at Detroit's success. The Wings are getting harder to hate, and they're actually fun as hell to watch, just because they're so damn good. Even in this time of shootouts and the "overtime losses" category, they're still a team that you expect to win 50 games each year.

I admit that I don't know what it is. I guess I really should've put all the hatred away when Rafalski went to Detroit and I didn't get mad. I'll never be a Scott Gomez fan again for the rest of my life, but I wish Rafalski all the best, even when he went to a team that I've claimed to dislike for so long.

Maybe I don't really hate the Red Wings anymore.

Excellent progress, Pumpy. Excellent. You've taken your first step into a larger world...

How could you hate the Wings after they got smoked by the Devils in '95? Some players, like Paul Coffey and Shawn Burr, actually went out of their way to help the Devils win that series.

Well done.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-28-2008, 02:46 PM   #814
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Dola

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.

Dola

Uh... You're on your own with this one. This is your journey, man... You and you alone.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:04 PM   #815
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Dola

Woohooo

Found my new sig

bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:06 PM   #816
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Dola

"Are you sure you don't want me to do the blowing Pumpy??"

Old 01-28-2008, 05:07 PM   #817
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

oh god
Old 01-28-2008, 05:19 PM   #818
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

NOW I know why he and Eric Lindros had such a love/hate relationship!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:21 PM   #819
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Excellent progress, Pumpy. Excellent. You've taken your first step into a larger world...

How could you hate the Wings after they got smoked by the Devils in '95? Some players, like Paul Coffey and Shawn Burr, actually went out of their way to help the Devils win that series.

Well done.

LOL. Paul Coffey. One of the greatest skaters in the history of hockey but he could not play defense if his life depended upon it.

Quote:
Old 01-28-2008, 11:05 PM   #820
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

Hahahaha.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:06 PM   #821
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
LOL. Paul Coffey. One of the greatest skaters in the history of hockey but he could not play defense if his life depended upon it.

Take that back.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:52 AM   #822
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Teemu's back. Worst kept secret of the past month.

Word is Yzerman is eyeing a return to hockey next month with the Ducks! Come oooooooon, Stevie!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:14 AM   #823
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Word is Yzerman is eyeing a return to hockey next month with the Ducks!

I'll take Things That Will Make HB Give Up Hockey Forever for $200, Alex
Old 01-29-2008, 08:09 AM   #824
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

The Pittsburgh Penguins recent acquisition Kris Beech will not be suiting up tonight for the Pens. Not because he is hurt, because he is stuck in Toronto. United States immigration will not let him in the country.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #825
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
The Pittsburgh Penguins recent acquisition Kris Beech will not be suiting up tonight for the Pens. Not because he is hurt, because he is stuck in Toronto. United States immigration will not let him in the country.

I've come to the conclusion why he was picked back up. I've seen many theories, including Washington picking him up with the purpose of sending him to Hershey of the AHL, and the Pens grabbed him on waivers (being sent down to the AHL) so that he wouldn't get to play against WBS Baby Pens (fighting Hershey for playoff position).

My theory is they just want to see what Jordan Staal is going to turn out like in 5 years.

Also...I do not have tix to the Pens-Flyers on 2/10, but I do have them for 3/16 (I think that is the right date).
Old 01-29-2008, 11:00 AM   #826
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post

Also...I do not have tix to the Pens-Flyers on 2/10, but I do have them for 3/16 (I think that is the right date).

Okay...if you did I was going to see if you wanted to hang out before hand, I have tickets to the 2/10 not the 3-16 one. I am a huge fan of the 5th Avenue Cafe, great wings.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:13 AM   #827
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Take that back.

Sorry. I just can't.

Quote:
Old 01-29-2008, 11:27 AM   #828
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Okay...if you did I was going to see if you wanted to hang out before hand, I have tickets to the 2/10 not the 3-16 one. I am a huge fan of the 5th Avenue Cafe, great wings.

I am about 3 blocks from there, so head there every so often for lunch.

The other place we hit when we take the kids with us (which is why afternoon games work out great for us) is Papa J's on Blvd of the Allies.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:39 AM   #829
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Old 01-29-2008, 11:40 AM   #830
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Sorry. I just can't.

I'm watching you.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #831
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post

I like Gretzky's voice.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #832
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I am about 3 blocks from there, so head there every so often for lunch..

I have a thing for the one bartender...Tricia. That's why I go there before every Pens game that I attend.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #833
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm going to see the Penguins and Islanders on 2/7. Because I have to work before the game, I was thinking that I probably wouldn't have any time to hang in Pittsburgh before the game. I might have to go check this "Tricia" out, though.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:50 AM   #834
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm going to see the Penguins and Islanders on 2/7. Because I have to work before the game, I was thinking that I probably wouldn't have any time to hang in Pittsburgh before the game. I might have to go check this "Tricia" out, though.

There is another waitress there (not sure of her real name) but if you go to The Cricket in Oakland after the game she goes by the name of Paris. She has a lot of tattoos on her arms and cannons that would take out the entire Spanish Armada.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #835
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Word is Yzerman is eyeing a return to hockey next month with the Ducks! Come oooooooon, Stevie!

That was not funny. At all.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:13 PM   #836
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

Pumpy, I may have some Pens - Devils tix for 3/22 if you are interested.
It's a Sat night game.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:05 PM   #837
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Apparently, Sean Avery pissed the Hurricanes off when they played in New York before the break. Scott Walker went at it with him on the opening whistle, sending both off for roughing. Four minutes later, he picked a fight with Walker and got into a battle with both him and Tim Gleason, resulting in misconducts and five-minute majors all over the place, plus a bonus two minutes another Ranger had to serve for Avery instigating (amazingly, Gleason got the game misconduct, but Avery did not even though he got assessed 19 penalty minutes total for the game).

On the undercard, Wade Brookbank of Carolina and Colton Orr of New York went at it twice in the first period and got five-minute majors both times.

Things really quieted down after the fight-filled first and Carolina skated off with the 3-1 win. Hopefully (and it's become a cliche adverb now) this will finally get them going in the second half.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:32 PM   #838
Captain2711
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Apparently, Sean Avery pissed the Hurricanes off when they played in New York before the break. Scott Walker went at it with him on the opening whistle, sending both off for roughing. Four minutes later, he picked a fight with Walker and got into a battle with both him and Tim Gleason, resulting in misconducts and five-minute majors all over the place, plus a bonus two minutes another Ranger had to serve for Avery instigating (amazingly, Gleason got the game misconduct, but Avery did not even though he got assessed 19 penalty minutes total for the game).

On the undercard, Wade Brookbank of Carolina and Colton Orr of New York went at it twice in the first period and got five-minute majors both times.

Things really quieted down after the fight-filled first and Carolina skated off with the 3-1 win. Hopefully (and it's become a cliche adverb now) this will finally get them going in the second half.

Gleason got the automatic game misconduct due to the third man in rule. And as far as I am concerned, Avery during this fight did the same thing Walker did in the first minute, defended his teammate. Carolina wanted to play more physical after getting pushed around in New York last visit. Also, that was the game where Matt Cullen was knocked unconscious by a clean open ice hit by Orr. Avery instigated the second fight only after Gomez was clearly hit from behind and no penalty was called. And of course when Brookbank instigated the the 2nd fight with Orr it went unpenalized.

On another note, Christ this Ranger team can't even score against one of the worst defensive teams in the NHL.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:57 PM   #839
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Pumpy, I may have some Pens - Devils tix for 3/22 if you are interested.
It's a Sat night game.
Sounds good. I'll have to see if there's anything else planned for that night, but it looks good right now.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:04 PM   #840
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain2711 View Post
Gleason got the automatic game misconduct due to the third man in rule. And as far as I am concerned, Avery during this fight did the same thing Walker did in the first minute, defended his teammate. Carolina wanted to play more physical after getting pushed around in New York last visit. Also, that was the game where Matt Cullen was knocked unconscious by a clean open ice hit by Orr. Avery instigated the second fight only after Gomez was clearly hit from behind and no penalty was called. And of course when Brookbank instigated the the 2nd fight with Orr it went unpenalized.

On another note, Christ this Ranger team can't even score against one of the worst defensive teams in the NHL.

Yeah, I figured out the Gleason thing after the fact. They didn't air the game down here so I was left to figure it out from the boxscore. Even so, Avery continues to charm everyone he meets.

Still, it's pretty rare for the Canes to be this physical with anybody. Definitely a testament to how the Rangers got to them in the game in New York. Coupled with the Caps getting whipped by Montreal tonight and it ended up a good night for Carolina, who pushed their lead to three points in the SouthLeast (while ironically tying the Rangers in total points at 54, but New York is last in the Atlantic right now).
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:20 PM   #841
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
So, it looks like Daryl Katz is about to become the new owner of the Oilers, purchasing the team from the Edmonton Investors Group:

From: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=228430&hubname=

Quote:
Katz spokesman Josh Pekarsky declined comment on the latest offer for the 7,492 shares from the Edmonton Investors Group, or EIG.

Katz is offering $22,000 a share, meaning those members of the EIG who came together a decade ago to buy the Oilers and keep them from relocating would more than double their investment.

The acquisition would end a high-stakes game of table hockey that began 10 months ago when Katz offered $145 million for the Oilers, then made four more bids, each escalating in value, drawing more and more investors into the fold.

I think Oilers fans should be happy Katz is here. There was a "Plan B" group within the EIG who were looking to buyout existing shareholders - with the help of a "friend":

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Ho...99482-sun.html

Quote:
The small group of non-Katz members within the Edmonton Investors Group have notified the 34 EIG members that there is no counter bid that can match or exceed the local billionaire's offer.

This news comes on the heels of Sun Media learning that members of the EIG board - clearly non-Katz members - made an attempt to contact Jim Balsillie, the Ontario billionaire with a checkered NHL past when it comes to purchasing a team.

A source from outside Edmonton revealed that information yesterday, though attempts by Sun Media to contact Balsillie for confirmation were unsuccessful.

Balsillie has twice tried to buy NHL franchises - Pittsburgh and Nashville - and has clearly tried to launch a team in Hamilton.
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:45 AM   #842
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

The EIG saved the team once upon a time but I think their run has come to a successful end in that they all made some money and the Oilers look to be in good hands...from what I've read and heard about Katz.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:36 PM   #843
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Fine example of how pitiful NHL officiating is in the Thrashers-Pens game.

Ruutu goes to hit Kovalchuck against the boards, near the benches. Kovy slides to avoid the check at the last second, knee on knee hit (or knee on thigh). No hand up on the ref, whistle blows.
Steve McCarthy comes in, puches the back of Ruutu's head about 6 times, Ruutu does not retaliate. Sits on the bench. Kovy limps to the bench and down the runway.

Minutes later, McCarthy receives 2 minute instigator, 5 min fighintg major and 10 min misconduct. Ruutu receives 5 for fightiing (without dropping the gloves or throwing a punch...hell without facing McCarthy), 5 min kneeing and 10 min game misconduct.

You can make the arguments you want over clean/dirty and intentional/accidental. Ruutu has that reputation. But the call was not being made until after the "fight" and Kovy limped off the ice.

Reminded me very much of an NFL game where the ref would watch PI occur, but wait to see if the catch is made before throwing the flag.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:53 PM   #844
bhlloy
Coordinator

Just saw the hit on Kovalchuk. That wasn't even a freaking penalty. As much as I hate the instigator penalty, at least that was properly called. The kneeing call on Ruutu, just another case of NHL justice. Not what you do, who you are and what happens afterwards.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:24 PM   #845
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Souray placed on the IR today meanwhile Hemsky sits out today's practice due to an assortment of nagging, minor injuries and Horcoff admits to a season long shoulder problem that he tweaked at the All-Star game. He, too, sat out today's practice.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:22 AM   #846
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

On the other hand, pending the outcome of today's MRI, I wouldn't be opposed to taking Ruutu out and shooting him.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:30 AM   #847
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
The kneeing call on Ruutu, just another case of NHL justice. Not what you do, who you are and what happens afterwards.

That's exactly why Laraque wasn't suspended.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:48 AM   #848
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Man, I hate those weak "after the fact" calls too. The Ruutu example is pretty extreme, but how many times do you see one guy throw a punch as the referee watches with arm down, then the other guy throws one back and suddenly they both get two for roughing.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:29 AM   #849
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Man, I hate those weak "after the fact" calls too. The Ruutu example is pretty extreme, but how many times do you see one guy throw a punch as the referee watches with arm down, then the other guy throws one back and suddenly they both get two for roughing.

I know what you mean but even more frustrating is that sometimes they call the first punch and other times they don't call either of them. Pick one and stick to it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2008, 10:48 AM   #850
watravaler
High School JV

I'm looking at the RedWings roster, and am in awe...who will they lose due to the salary cap, or is there some work around that will screw my Blackhawks out of the Wings talent?
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote