Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #801
bbor
Pro Starter

Someone tell the Canes that the game started 10 minutes ago......

Weakest 3-1 lead in history

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:00 PM   #802
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
It's not a "fight" when one guy looks like this:

Sucker punch. I can't believe anyone would see what's depicted above and think it's a fair fight.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:05 PM   #803
molson
General Manager

I always thought dropping your gloves was the universal hockey sign for "I wish to fight with you and I am prepared to do so good sir". To punch somebody in the face with a fist, when their gloves are off, just seems so wrong.

Ward said he wasn't even looking at him, the first thing he saw was the punch flying at him. That's pretty clear from the video. People are making a lot of of him standing there, but we're talking like 1-2 seconds.

Still, it looks like a quick, "honest" mistake.

Last edited by molson : 05-12-2009 at 07:08 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:20 PM   #804
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You must have some fucked up clocks in Canada

I just like the idea that there's some sort of exchange rate with regards to time

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-12-2009 at 07:20 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:27 PM   #805
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Sucker punch. I can't believe anyone would see what's depicted above and think it's a fair fight.

And I can't believe anyone who watches the video can think Ward wasn't looking to start something...
Old 05-12-2009, 07:27 PM   #806
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Well, this is looking a lot like a 1 seed playing a 6 seed. Carolina better wake up.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #807
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
And I can't believe anyone who watches the video can think Ward wasn't looking to start something...

The only problem is that "something" wasn't a fight.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:34 PM   #808
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

Eh, that's too snippy and short.

My point follows Fidatelo's from above: when you start that kind of scrap and get that tangled up with a guy, you don't instantly look away and drop your arms to the side and go that slack unless you are:
  • An idiot
  • Baiting your opponent to get him thrown out
Usually you tangle up and let the refs separate you, or you break apart to throw down. Ward did neither. You have to look at what was happening before that picture, you can't just look at the picture and draw any meaningful conclusions.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:34 PM   #809
samifan24
Pro Starter

Bruins force a Game Seven!
Old 05-12-2009, 08:57 PM   #810
gstelmack
Pro Starter

And they earned it tonight. Carolina better dig deep if they want to move on to the Conference Finals, because Boston is playing like a 1 seed again, and Carolina is playing like, well, Carolina.

That said, I didn't think Carolina could push it to 7, so I'm pleased with the postseason result so far, anything else is gravy.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:01 PM   #811
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

awesome game by the B's!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:39 PM   #812
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Through nearly 2 periods it's obvious Anaheim just wants it more. Detroit is missing the net, giving up all sorts of odd man rushes and just be thrown off the puck. Not giving up on this one by a long shot, but through two periods it looks like Detroit has.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:40 PM   #813
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

WTH started that deal?

edit to add: Okay, now I know what started that deal.

It didn't make a lot of sense, Getzlaf hooks Hossa at the horn and he gets mad? I'm neither hither nor yon on who wins this series but after watching that sequence the Ducks looked like little punk ass bitches. Hope Detroit beats 'em about 8-0 in game seven.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-12-2009 at 11:42 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:53 PM   #814
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Through nearly 2 periods it's obvious Anaheim just wants it more. Detroit is missing the net, giving up all sorts of odd man rushes and just be thrown off the puck. Not giving up on this one by a long shot, but through two periods it looks like Detroit has.

Conspiracy theory. The NHL paid each road team off the past two games to be sure this one went to Game Seven.

See ya, Thursday, Wings fans. I still don't give us much of a chance, but like I said after Game Four, anytime you get to a Game Seven, there's a puncher's chance. Anything can happen.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:58 PM   #815
bbor
Pro Starter

3 game 7's.....does it get any better for a hockey fan??

I think not.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:25 AM   #816
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

If they go into OT

SI

Old 05-13-2009, 06:49 AM   #817
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
If they go into OT

How about an OT game 7, a double OT game 7, and then a triple OT game 7
Old 05-13-2009, 07:17 AM   #818
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Ward said he wasn't even looking at him, the first thing he saw was the punch flying at him. That's pretty clear from the video.

Ward pushed him away, looked right at him, and watched Walker drop his gloves. For Ward to say he only saw the fist coming is bull crap.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:36 AM   #819
Logan
Head Coach

Really, still on this? Watch the video once again. He first looked at Walker at 18 seconds, and the fist had hit his face at 20 seconds. Again, that is in slow motion.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:39 AM   #820
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Really, still on this? Watch the video once again. He first looked at Walker at 18 seconds, and the fist had hit his face at 20 seconds. Again, that is in slow motion.

I think it was cheap, but fans will justify anything...remember when that one player hit another from behind in the groin? I wont say who it is
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:26 AM   #821
Logan
Head Coach

Come on, that's just hockey!
Old 05-13-2009, 08:30 AM   #822
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
How about an OT game 7, a double OT game 7, and then a triple OT game 7

I like the way you think!

SI

Old 05-13-2009, 08:46 AM   #823
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

+1

cheapest of cheap shots
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:53 AM   #824
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Hope Detroit beats 'em about 8-0 in game seven.

Quote:
I like the way you think!

SI

+1!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:02 AM   #825
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

As much as I would absolutely love a Chicago-Detroit series, I do so like watching the Wings lose. I'd also like to see game 7 go about 12 OTs so whoever wins is completely flat coming into game 1 of the WCF.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-13-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:04 AM   #826
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

This is the 3rd series in a row that Washington will play in a game 7, and all 3 of them have been at home for them.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:21 AM   #827
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I do so like watching the Wings lose.

SI

I bet you also enjoy watching people steal puppies from the arms of small children and bullies stealing lunch monies from much smaller children.

Classy.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 05-13-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:32 AM   #828
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I was cracking up at all the fights at the end of the Anaheim-Detroit game. I didn't see exactly who all 10 guys on the ice were, but I believe I counted 3 players who actually do fight from time to time, and they were all wearing Ducks jerseys. It was really weird watching Datsyuk, Hossa, and Rafalski throw punches to defend themselves..
Old 05-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #829
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I was cracking up at all the fights at the end of the Anaheim-Detroit game. I didn't see exactly who all 10 guys on the ice were, but I believe I counted 3 players who actually do fight from time to time, and they were all wearing Ducks jerseys. It was really weird watching Datsyuk, Hossa, and Rafalski throw punches to defend themselves..

You know who else was cracking up at all those fights? Colin White.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:35 AM   #830
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I bet you also enjoy watching people steal puppies from the arms of small children and bullies stealing lunch monies from much smaller children.

Classy.

But those people stealing puppies and lunch monies typically are the Red Wings and their fans

SI

Old 05-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #831
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
But those people stealing puppies and lunch monies typically are the Red Wings and their fans

SI

I've never known a Red Wings fan to do such a thing. Except for DeTox, once. But that kid had it coming and he was going to buy an unhealthy lunch anyway.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:43 AM   #832
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
You know who else was cracking up at all those fights? Colin White.
oh fuck me
Old 05-13-2009, 10:01 AM   #833
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Good on the Ducks for forcing a game 7 (I love game 7s...but then, who doesn't?). But the Wings should be able to handle them at the Joe. Anaheim won largely due to being able to get favorable matchups out there on the ice. Babcock will have the last change at home, so he can keep Hossa and Franzen away from the Pronger-Neidermeyer pairing.

Edit: Does anyone know where Datsyuk got his reputation as strictly a finesse player? I know he's not necessarily a drop-the-gloves type, but the guy definitely has a mean streak.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)

Last edited by DataKing : 05-13-2009 at 10:02 AM.
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:27 AM   #834
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Good on the Ducks for forcing a game 7 (I love game 7s...but then, who doesn't?).

I do not like game 7s when the Red Wings are involved, unless, of course, they get up quickly and the final result is never in question like last time they played a game 7. That was enjoyable.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #835
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Wasn't it a game 7 a number of years ago against the Avs where the chased Patrick Roy after shelling him for something like seven goals in a period and a half?
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 05-13-2009, 10:40 AM   #836
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Wasn't it a game 7 a number of years ago against the Avs where the chased Patrick Roy after shelling him for something like seven goals in a period and a half?

Yep. That's what I was referring to in the post above. That was the Wings' last Game 7 at least from what I can recall.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:54 AM   #837
DataKing
Pro Rookie

You're right...May 31st, 2002. 7-zip over the Avs. I'm surprised it's been that long since the Wings have been in a game 7 (had to go look it up).
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 05-13-2009, 12:17 PM   #838
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

That was not a sucker punch. A sucker punch is what Tie Domi did to Ulf Samuelsson back in the day. Ulf absolutely had no idea what was coming. This situation is not the same.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #839
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
That was not a sucker punch. A sucker punch is what Tie Domi did to Ulf Samuelsson back in the day. Ulf absolutely had no idea what was coming. This situation is not the same.
The situation is not the same. But it's still a sucker punch.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:34 PM   #840
gstelmack
Pro Starter

The NHL folks here finally explained to me that dropping your arms to your side is the universal sign of "don't hit me" and that's what made it a sucker punch.

I still think there are two separate punches being discussed. I keep seeing references to a punch thrown when Walker first entered the fray between Ward and Cullen. That's the only thing that makes sense when Ward keeps saying he was looking at Cullen and didn't see Walker until he got hit.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:35 PM   #841
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post

Just because what Tie Domi did to Ulf Samuelsson back in the day was a sucker punch does not mean that what Walker did to Ward was not a sucker punch. These aren't mutually exclusive events. It's kind of like pointing to a Yorkshire Terrier and saying "That's not a dog. A dog is a German Sheppard. Dogs are much bigger and have longer tails. A Yorkie is not a dog."

Walker's sucker punch of Ward was just a different kind of sucker punch is all.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:51 PM   #842
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
The NHL folks here finally explained to me that dropping your arms to your side is the universal sign of "don't hit me" and that's what made it a sucker punch.

That's not what was explained at all, but if that's the angle you want to take with all this... go on with your bad self!

It always baffles me how subjective people's views are when it comes to "their" team. I mean, back in the day when Bob Probert sucker pucnhed Vincent Reindeau, I just admitted that the punch was way out of line (amusing, yes, but way out of line). I didn't feel the need to twist reality or debate semantics to defend his actions.

Accept it. Deal with it. Move on.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #843
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
I've watched a lot of hockey in my life and that doesn't happen too often. Typically, in cases where one guy drops the gloves and the other guy doesn't, the guy who drops the gloves grabs hold of the other guy or holds off throwing a punch until the other guy drops his gloves.

In a case where one guy drops his gloves, the other guy doesn't and then the first guy hauls off and hits the guy with his gloves one = sucker punch.

That was pretty clear to me. But hockey (at least the fighting and hitting part) makes less and less sense to me the more I try to understand it, so whatever.

As for the fanboy angle, look, I'm not saying Ward didn't deserve his punishment (he clearly charged into this wanting a fight, I think his surprise was that Ward ended up not wanting one), and I said up front I have no opinion on the suspension as I don't fully understand the rules (and if he had been suspended, I wouldn't have argued it at all), all I wanted to do was understand why people kept wanting to call this a "sucker punch", as I didn't see that from the replays given that Ward was tangled up with Walker right before the punch. In the real world, if someone shoves my wife, I jump in and shove him, he pushes me back (or grapples with me or whatever and then we spearate), and I deck him (fat chance, but play along...) your average Joe is not going to call that a sucker punch. I'm trying to understand the hockey nuances that turn a similar on-ice situation into a sucker punch.

I'll shut up about it now and just gripe about all the fighting in hockey instead and how it has no place in the modern game. Shoving both hands with a stick in it into the face of a guy who just took a shot should be a penalty, let's debate that instead

Last edited by gstelmack : 05-13-2009 at 01:09 PM.
gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #844
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'd like to state that I hate the Carolina Hurricanes with a passion, and want the Bruins to advance like nobodies business, yet I'm not sold on it as a sucker punch.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:11 PM   #845
molson
General Manager

I really think it was an accidental sucker punch, if such a thing exists.

It was bad form, it was cheap, but I don't think it was malicious. It was a mistake. We're talking 2-3 seconds where all these decisions are being made, I totally understand how a punch can be thrown in the heat of that moment.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #846
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

It was bad form, it was cheap, but I don't think it was malicious. It was a mistake. We're talking 2-3 seconds where all these decisions are being made, I totally understand how a punch can be thrown in the heat of that moment.

I agree, and that's exactly why I said Walker's reaction as Ward went down was "shit, what did I just do?"
Old 05-13-2009, 01:19 PM   #847
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I agree with this.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:33 PM   #848
watravaler
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
10-15 years? A lot can happen in a decade...

True, but I see Toews as the leader of the team/top 5-10 NHL player/elite NHL captian for at least ten years. Who knows how long his legs will last after he hits 30, but this guy is Yzerman all over again, imo, of course. If the Wirtz' return to their ridiculous ways(and I'm far from sold on the "new" Wirtz, then this could be a 3-5 year ride, followed by empty seats. Nevertheless, the amount of young talent Chicago has assembled after years of high-draft picks is mind-boggling, kind of similar to the DevilRays situation in MLB. Only a true idiot, or a moron who only cares about the bottom line(I'm looking at you Wirtz family) can screw up this situation. Bottom line, it's about friggin time!

Last edited by watravaler : 05-13-2009 at 01:44 PM.
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:38 PM   #849
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

(still mad about the Statue of Liberty in game 6)
Old 05-13-2009, 01:43 PM   #850
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post

(still mad about the Statue of Liberty in game 6)

Served him right! I still hate the Avs...those great Wings/Avs matchups were some of the nastiest hockey I've ever seen. You know things are rough when the goalies decide to duke it out.
Allegiances:
Awards: