Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-09-2004, 11:35 AM   #801
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
all stems back to moores hit on naslund 2 weeks ago that gave him a concussion.

bertuzzi should be suspended until well into the playoffs. that was awful, and embarassing for the sport.

I think he should get a calendar year. Colin Campbell needs to set a precedent for actions which negatively reflect the entire sport. As I stated previously, this is the kind of thing which makes it on the nightly news, the same news stations which often do not even show highlights from NHL games on a regular basis. Bertuzzi's actions are embarassing to hockey fans everywhere. The ball's in Campbell's court, but anything less than the rest of the season and at least the entire playoffs will be an incredible disappointment for me because I know the league will never have the guts to make a guy sit out a whole year*. Additionally, I think Bertuzzi should be criminally prosecuted as well.

edit- *besides McSorely because Bertuzzi is a "star" player and I doubt the league is willing to lose him for that long, despite my belief that they should suspend him regardless of his "stardom"

Last edited by samifan24 : 03-09-2004 at 11:37 AM.
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 11:36 AM   #802
Pyser
Pro Rookie

well, the entire sport is going to get "suspended" for a calendar year, so i guess they may as well knock him out just for playoffs at this rate
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 11:37 AM   #803
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24
I think he should get a calendar year. Colin Campbell needs to set a precedent for actions which negatively reflect the entire sport. As I stated previously, this is the kind of thing which makes it on the nightly news, the same news stations which often do not even show highlights from NHL games on a regular basis. Bertuzzi's actions are embarassing to hockey fans everywhere. The ball's in Campbell's court, but anything less than the rest of the season and at least the entire playoffs will be an incredible disappointment for me because I know the league will never have the guts to make a guy sit out a whole year. Additionally, I think Bertuzzi should be criminally prosecuted as well.

edit- spelling

I don't think he should be suspended for a year, or criminally prosecuted... if Moore wasn't punished for a hit that resulted in a concussion, then how can Bertuzzi be suspended for a year? What Bertuzzi did was horrible, but the NHL should've punished Moore for a good number of games as well.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 11:41 AM   #804
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic

I don't think he should be suspended for a year, or criminally prosecuted... if Moore wasn't punished for a hit that resulted in a concussion, then how can Bertuzzi be suspended for a year? What Bertuzzi did was horrible, but the NHL should've punished Moore for a good number of games as well.

Well then we respectfully disagree, sir. Moore's hit did result in a concussion, but he was not penalized on the play and the tape went to the league and Campbell did not act on the hit because he did not deem it to be a dirty hit. There's a big difference between hurting a guy with a hit (intentional or otherwise, although Moore had his day in court and Campbell opted not to suspend him because it was a clean hit) and sucker-punching a guy from behind. One is an accident, the other cowardace.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:46 AM   #805
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I heard Marc Crawford yelling about that hit. Moore didn't get punished much for it, did he?

Nope. Not so much as a two minute minor for roughing. It was a "clean" hit by all accounts. Just caught Naslund with his head down.

I hope Moore is ok. If he smashed his face and requires surgery, his career could be in jeopardy. Look what happened to Kevin Stevens. His face got smashed and just like that, he went from a 50 goal/200 PIM power-forward extrodinare on a Stanley Cup winning team to a poor journeyman forward who spent his off-nights smoking crack with hookers in East St. Louis.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 11:49 AM   #806
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

Moore's hit was clean.
If that hit was against a 3rd line winger, no one cares. But because Moore didn't hold up against one of the game's elite, the Canucks cry about it. Sami Salo in last night's game hit Alex Tanguay on a very similar play - you see hits like that in almost every game.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:50 AM   #807
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Nope. Not so much as a two minute minor for roughing. It was a "clean" hit by all accounts. Just caught Naslund with his head down.

I hope Moore is ok. If he smashed his face and requires surgery, his career could be in jeopardy. Look what happened to Kevin Stevens. His face got smashed and just like that, he went from a 50 goal/200 PIM power-forward extrodinare on a Stanley Cup winning team to a poor journeyman forward who spent his off-nights smoking crack with hookers in East St. Louis.

Kevin Stevens is the first thing I thought of when this happened.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:52 AM   #808
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

My "sources" (I do have sources, dammit) say DeVriest to Ottawa, although it's not being reported yet.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:56 AM   #809
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
My "sources" (I do have sources, dammit) say DeVriest to Ottawa, although it's not being reported yet.

DeVries for Karel Rachunek and Alexandre Giroux
Old 03-09-2004, 11:57 AM   #810
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

After watching it myself, I don't think what Bertuzzi did is as bad as everyone seems to be saying. He wanted to fight Moore, chased him all over the ice, Moore wouldn't do it (cuz of course Bert would slaughter him). So in frustration Bertuzzi hit him anyways. There is no way Bertuzzi intended for everything after to happen, just as Moore didn't intend for Naslund to be so hurt when he hit him.

Bert should be suspended for the sucker punch, but no way should he get anything close to what McSorely got. I'd say 10 games, and only because he is a past offender.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 11:59 AM   #811
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Sportsnet is reporting that Bertuzzi broke Moore's neck.

My god...
Old 03-09-2004, 11:59 AM   #812
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo
After watching it myself, I don't think what Bertuzzi did is as bad as everyone seems to be saying. He wanted to fight Moore, chased him all over the ice, Moore wouldn't do it (cuz of course Bert would slaughter him). So in frustration Bertuzzi hit him anyways. There is no way Bertuzzi intended for everything after to happen, just as Moore didn't intend for Naslund to be so hurt when he hit him.

Bert should be suspended for the sucker punch, but no way should he get anything close to what McSorely got. I'd say 10 games, and only because he is a past offender.

So stalking someone down the ice and sucker-punching them from behind, then slamming their face into the ice after tackling them is only worth ten games, and then only because Bertuzzi's a repeat offender? You're kidding, right?
Old 03-09-2004, 12:00 PM   #813
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Ah ha! Samifan24 is Maple Leafs' source! The truth has been revealed!
Old 03-09-2004, 12:00 PM   #814
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:

I thought Rachunek was very promising. DeVries is overrated and overpayed.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 12:01 PM   #815
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:

My god...

It looked like the ice broke his neck, but regardless...ick.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:02 PM   #816
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
I thought Rachunek was very promising. DeVries is overrated and overpayed.
Rachunek is terrible. He's a complete mess, a giveaway waiting to happen. He's still young, so there's "upside", but right now he's just a soft, lousy defenceman.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:02 PM   #817
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
What's the story on Morris.....Why did the Avs give up on him?

Morris hasn't been terrible, but he hasn't quite turned into the player they thought he would be when they gave up Chris Drury for him. I think it's less a matter of wanting to get rid of Morris (like the Skoula trade) than it is about Lacroix using Morris to get a player (Gratton) he needed. John-Michael Liles had been eating up more and more of Morris's ice time on the power play, and with the acquisition of guys like Sauer and Boughner, Morris was essentially expendable.

Morris is only 25, and this does look like a nice, nice trade for Phoenix.

But the thing about Pierre Lacroix is this - he doesn't micromanage each individual trade to get the best deal; he is always looking at the big picture. So, he has to give up more than he wants to get Gratton, but he gets Vannanen also. Then he pulls off a trade for Salo which makes him look like a genius. He traded Radim Vrbata last year to get Bates SUCKY Battaglia...but then turned Battaglia into Steve Konowalchuk this year...as good a trade as you'll see a GM make. If you look at Locroix's moves on a trade-by-trade basis, some will look bad. If you look at his overall team management...I'm not sure you'll find a better GM in hockey. Except for when he canned Bob Hartley. That was rank.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:03 PM   #818
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:

My god...

Do you have a link?
Old 03-09-2004, 12:05 PM   #819
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

My god...

yikes. link?
Old 03-09-2004, 12:06 PM   #820
samifan24
Pro Starter

dola-

Dallas Stars have signed FA defenseman Lubomir Sekeras for the remainder of the season.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:07 PM   #821
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Do you have a link?
No, it's being reported on the radio. Nothing on the Sportsnet site yet (www.sportsnet.ca).

I'm no doctor, but I can't imagine it's a broken neck in the "never walk again" sense. We would have heard something before now if he hadn't moved since last night, wouldn't we?

In other news, Francis is a Leaf.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:08 PM   #822
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
No, it's being reported on the radio. Nothing on the Sportsnet site yet (www.sportsnet.ca).

I'm no doctor, but I can't imagine it's a broken neck in the "never walk again" sense. We would have heard something before now if he hadn't moved since last night, wouldn't we?

In other news, Francis is a Leaf.

he was definitely moving his legs on the ice after the hit.
Francis would have been a better fit for the Canucks.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:19 PM   #823
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Here's a link on the Moore story:
http://wwww.sportsnet.ca/hockey/show...ntent=s030935A

(Apparently he's from Thornhill, the town I grew up in.)
Old 03-09-2004, 12:21 PM   #824
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
So stalking someone down the ice and sucker-punching them from behind, then slamming their face into the ice after tackling them is only worth ten games, and then only because Bertuzzi's a repeat offender? You're kidding, right?

No, I wasn't kidding. And watch that video again, he doesn't tackle, nor slam his face into the ice. He falls because of momentum and his weight on Moore. When Moore gets hit his legs give out and they both collapse. I'm positive Bertuzzi didn't intend to smash his face into the ice (which is what does most of the damage I'd guess).

I'm not saying what he did was ok, which is why I agree he should be suspended. But it isn't as bad as the outcome makes it look. Sucker punches in hockey are not new.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 03-09-2004, 12:26 PM   #825
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo
No, I wasn't kidding. And watch that video again, he doesn't tackle, nor slam his face into the ice. He falls because of momentum and his weight on Moore. When Moore gets hit his legs give out and they both collapse. I'm positive Bertuzzi didn't intend to smash his face into the ice (which is what does most of the damage I'd guess).
I have to admit, when I finally saw the video (after hearing about it all morning), my reaction was similar. It was bad, no doubt, but not as bad as it sounded. And I also just don't see the "smashing his head into the ice" part. I don't know if people are getting overly dramatic or whether there's another camera angle out there that I haven't seen, but it sure looks like Bertuzzi slugs him, falls on top of him and makes one more weak swipe at him before everyone piles on.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:39 PM   #826
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

If you are going to sucker punch someone like that, you are responsible for the consequences. Moore didn't trip over a cat - he was sent face-first into the ice with a great deal of force by a punch he didn't even see coming. It doesn't matter what Bertuzzi intended to happen to Moore.

If Bertuzzi was a man and was not hitting a guy skating away from him...Moore would not be lying in a hospital with a broken neck right now.

I wonder...do you think Marc Crawford is still laughing about the hit?
Old 03-09-2004, 12:40 PM   #827
samifan24
Pro Starter

Well you can choose to blame it on physics or you can hold the man accountable for his actions. Yes, we all agree Bertuzzi should be suspended, but I disagree when you blame most of the damage on the physics of the attack. Moore wouldn't be in surgery now if it weren't for Bertuzzi and that's the bottom line.

Last edited by samifan24 : 03-09-2004 at 12:41 PM.
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 12:42 PM   #828
bbor
Pro Starter

Looked to me like Bertuzzi hits Moore.....Moore is out on his feet....Bertuzzi's momentum has him land on Moore.Moore being knocked out cannot get his hands up to break his fall and goes face first into the ice.

I would say end of season for Bertuzzi...including play-offs.

How could it not be?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 12:44 PM   #829
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Looked to me like Bertuzzi hits Moore.....Moore is out on his feet....Bertuzzi's momentum has him land on Moore.Moore being knocked out cannot get his hands up to break his fall and goes face first into the ice.

I would say end of season for Bertuzzi...including play-offs.

How could it not be?

at first I thought through the regular season.
with the broken vertebraes...I think we are talking about playoff time as well.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:46 PM   #830
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
That sounds about right. There's no excuse for what Bertuzzi did. No need to sex it up by pretending he slammed Moore's head on the ice or wailed away on the guy when he was down. The sucker punch was more than bad enough.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:03 PM   #831
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
If Bertuzzi was a man and was not hitting a guy skating away from him...Moore would not be lying in a hospital with a broken neck right now.

Hmm, it could be argued that if Moore was a man and hadn't fled all over the ice to get away from Bertuzzi he would simply have a black eye right now... ok, now I'm just going too far
Old 03-09-2004, 01:06 PM   #832
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
That sounds about right. There's no excuse for what Bertuzzi did. No need to sex it up by pretending he slammed Moore's head on the ice or wailed away on the guy when he was down. The sucker punch was more than bad enough.

I've seen the video. It looks to me like he clearly slammed Moore's head to the ice, and clearly meant to. I don't find the reports sexed up at all. The radio reports all made it sound very bad. But not nearly as bad as it was.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:10 PM   #833
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
I've seen the video. It looks to me like he clearly slammed Moore's head to the ice, and clearly meant to. I don't find the reports sexed up at all. The radio reports all made it sound very bad. But not nearly as bad as it was.
Well, I guess we disagree. My honest reaction was that after the initial sucker punch, the worst you could say was that Bertuzzi didn't try to avoid landing on Moore as they both fell. But then again I can't read his mind.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:18 PM   #834
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Well, I guess we disagree. My honest reaction was that after the initial sucker punch, the worst you could say was that Bertuzzi didn't try to avoid landing on Moore as they both fell. But then again I can't read his mind.

Watch it in slow motion. I see Bertuzzi's legs extending to launch himself onto Moore. During the fall his left arm is clearly on the back of Moore's neck and extending, obviously trying to add force to the impact of Moore's head with the ice.

I agree different poeple will interpret the video different ways, and that was my point to begin with. You can argue intent (which neither of us will ever truly know) and the cause of Bertuzzi falling, but not seeing his left arm clearly aiding the descent of Moore's head is ignoring the facts.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:23 PM   #835
MikeVic
Head Coach

It couldn't have helped that the Colorado guy jumped on top of Bertuzzi , and continued to let Moore's face slide across the ice... and for Moore to run away all game after he gave Naslund that consussion... well, he had to know that they were looking to rough him up to say the least... I'm not saying he deserved what Bertuzzi did to him, but he was building up the Canucks players' hatred for him everytime he was on that ice and didn't get hit...
Old 03-09-2004, 01:24 PM   #836
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
... and for Moore to run away all game after he gave Naslund that consussion...
Well, let's be fair. Moore dropped his gloves in the first period. He did the right thing. That could have been the end of it right there.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:28 PM   #837
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
It couldn't have helped that the Colorado guy jumped on top of Bertuzzi , and continued to let Moore's face slide across the ice... and for Moore to run away all game after he gave Naslund that consussion... well, he had to know that they were looking to rough him up to say the least... I'm not saying he deserved what Bertuzzi did to him, but he was building up the Canucks players' hatred for him everytime he was on that ice and didn't get hit...

He was trying to draw a penalty. That's his job. Bertuzzi just freaked out on him.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:28 PM   #838
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Since I don't recall seeing it at the time (or since for that matter), I'll ask ...

Did Moore cheapshot Naslund ? Or was it just a course-of-play hard hit?
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 01:31 PM   #839
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

watch it again.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/cf277/04...hots_moore.wmv

Bertuzzi was forcing him down and putting pressure on him the whole way down.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:33 PM   #840
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Since I don't recall seeing it at the time (or since for that matter), I'll ask ...

just a hard hit. not a cheap shot in the opinion of most - it's a hit you see almost every day in the NHL.

Vancouver was upset because 1) Naslund was hurt on the play and 2) he is a star player, and there's supposed to be a code to let up a bit on star players.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:35 PM   #841
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
A bit of both. It wasn't a cheap play like a sucker punch or stick to the head. You could argue that it was a clean hit. But it was a headshot to a player who was off-balance and couldn't protect himself. And the fact that it was a fourth-liner hitting the league's best player didn't help the perception.

Still, Bertuzzi's reaction was out of of all proportion to what Moore did.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:36 PM   #842
bbor
Pro Starter

What a boring trade deadline.

Can't wait to see the tv ratings on this.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:40 PM   #843
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
watch it again. Bertuzzi was forcing him down and putting pressure on him the whole way down.
I did watch it again. Bertuzzi wasn't forcing him down -- the guy was out cold, he didn't need to be forced. Bertuzzi is holding the back of his jersey and doesn't let go of it, but I just don't see any driving going on.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:40 PM   #844
MikeVic
Head Coach

Well, I have to say right now that I didn't see any of the game, and I saw somewhere in this thread that Moore was running all game.. so I assumed that he was ducking all Canucks players for the entire game... you can see why I made my comments now.

It'll be really interesting to see what happens now... when do the Canucks and Avs play next?
Old 03-09-2004, 01:41 PM   #845
bbor
Pro Starter

The hurt does'nt stop in Motown...Robert Lang out 3 weeks with cracked ribs.

How ya feeling H_B....any injuries in Belgium?

Old 03-09-2004, 01:42 PM   #846
bbor
Pro Starter

Hnidy to Nashville for a 3rd roundpick..woohoo

Old 03-09-2004, 01:46 PM   #847
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
I did watch it again. Bertuzzi wasn't forcing him down -- the guy was out cold, he didn't need to be forced. Bertuzzi is holding the back of his jersey and doesn't let go of it, but I just don't see any driving going on.

Well, again, as they are falling, Bertuzzi's arm is extending. Try to explain it away if you wish, but his arm starts close to he chest as to fall and is almost fully extended as they hit the ice.

I do think that the damage caused here is more than Bertuzzi likely intended. Of course, it is not like the decision to take this action resulted from rational thought to begin with.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:48 PM   #848
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
The hurt does'nt stop in Motown...Robert Lang out 3 weeks with cracked ribs.

How ya feeling H_B....any injuries in Belgium?

No. We're doing ok here in the land of frites, beer, lace, and chocolate. Though, with a couple of phone calls to the right people there could be a certain shoe salesmen in Canada who may have an injury or two...

Seriously. Draper, Datsyuk, and now Lang? This is getting out of control. Datsyuk is due back in 2 weeks, Draper 4, Lang 3. This is not good. Assuming they all do make it back in time for the begining of the play-offs, it will be highly unlikely that Draper or Lang will be fully healed. A shoulder injury (Draper) and rib injury (Lang) aren't the kind of injuries you can effectively play through. You just can't. Your ribs will ache every time you breathe and the shoulder with each nudge. Hrmmm...
Old 03-09-2004, 01:51 PM   #849
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Hnidy to Nashville for a 3rd roundpick..woohoo

That's good deal. You can't think of a better place for "The Sheriff" Shane Hindy to play than Nashville. They'll love him down there!
Old 03-09-2004, 01:55 PM   #850
bbor
Pro Starter

and the clock ticks.....tocks....ticks.....