Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-19-2008, 09:39 AM   #801
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I would say that if someone is clearly "one of the greatest Olympians ever" that I would certainly not consider it crap for someone to call them "the greatest Olympian ever". My point is he certainly belongs in the discussion and seems to be as good a choice as anyone else.

I guess our miscommunication is on what I really have a problem with. I've been bombarded by stories and announcers declaring him to be the greatest Olympian ever and acting as if nobody else even belongs in the discussion.

ESPN.com has a writer that actually declared that "Michael Phelps saved the Olympics" - no joke.

What Phelps has done is impressive. But I, personally, was more impressed by Usain Bolt's complete destruction of the 100 meter field.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:40 AM   #802
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Yep, although 1 less gold (replaced by a bronze this year). Impressive rally given where we were at a few days ago. I think they heard us discussing the idea of revoking sex privileges in the village if they didn't perform. It's all about motivation

and it's still working with a 13th medal, bronze in women 100m hurdles!!!

FM
Old 08-19-2008, 09:47 AM   #803
MikeVic
Head Coach

Sweet.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:49 AM   #804
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
I guess our miscommunication is on what I really have a problem with. I've been bombarded by stories and announcers declaring him to be the greatest Olympian ever and acting as if nobody else even belongs in the discussion.

ESPN.com has a writer that actually declared that "Michael Phelps saved the Olympics" - no joke.

I guess we're coming at it from different directions. The whole argument in this thread started because someone actually said "who cares?" about Phelps achievement, so I think there's equally ridiculous stuff coming from the Phelps backlash bandwagon.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:08 AM   #805
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
and it's still working with a 13th medal, bronze in women 100m hurdles!!!

FM

Fuck Cal Botterill, MikeVic and I should be getting hired as sports psychologists all over the place.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:34 AM   #806
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Fuck Cal Botterill, MikeVic and I should be getting hired as sports psychologists all over the place.

I agree with this statement.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:01 AM   #807
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Sweet! US Women come back incredibly and destroy Italy in the 5th set of volleyball. Medal round, baby!
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:17 PM   #808
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

And speaking of humongous comebacks, USA Softball comes into the bottom of the ninth against Japan, down a run,, and scratches a run across, and then gets a three run HR to win it and advance to the gold medal game.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:02 AM   #809
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

LOL, typical ESPN.

Honestly, if anything, Phelps has probably taken a lot away from the Olympics for a lot of countries outside of the USA. He was pretty much the entire story for the first week of the games. If it hadn't been for Stephanie Rice and the time she's spent on my TV screen, I'd have gone insane by now.

Seriously though, the older I get, the less caught up in the Olympics I seem to be getting - Outside of the basketball, anyhow.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:16 AM   #810
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't see why the statement that Phelps saved the olympics is so bad. I honestly had little interest in the olympics coming in. There isn't any major track and field stars for the U.S. and outside of the dream team, no one else I know of. Their isn't a rival like there was before with the Soviets. It hasn't been a secret that the olympics don't have the same luster they used to and previous ones were seeing major rating dips.

It'll be interesting to see how the ratings come in for this week. No Phelps and no gymnastics. Sure I'll catch the dream team if it's on, but outside of that, I really don't see myself dedicating much time to anything that'll be on NBC this week.

Last edited by RainMaker : 08-20-2008 at 12:17 AM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:40 AM   #811
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Because its utterly silly. The Olympics are doing quite fine around the world. Just because some Americans may not be as interested isn't exactly a big deal overall.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:28 AM   #812
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Just because some Americans may not be as interested isn't exactly a big deal overall.

Tell that to the IOC if their rights fees fall, since those provide over half their total revenue.
And for Torino & Beijing, over half of their TV revenue came from NBC.

And without Phelps, NBC's primetime numbers were down 14% on Sunday and 19% by Monday.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-20-2008 at 06:33 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:17 AM   #813
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Tell that to the IOC if their rights fees fall, since those provide over half their total revenue.
And for Torino & Beijing, over half of their TV revenue came from NBC.

And without Phelps, NBC's primetime numbers were down 14% on Sunday and 19% by Monday.

DING!

not often I feel that Jon hits the nail on the head but he's got this one pegged. Money drives everything, the Olympics are no exception to that and the real money is from American TV rights. If you lose the interest of the American public you lose a big chunk of money and without money they can't put on 57-gagillion swimming events and create their "second coming" of medalists like Phelps.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:29 AM   #814
Huckleberry
College Starter

The ratings are down not even mostly because of Phelps, IMO.

Internet + tape delay = terrible ratings

In the information age, only live sporting events are going to get good ratings.

And Phelps didn't save the Olympics. Please. That is just plain silly. Maybe he helped the Olympics make more money, but to most of us that isn't the point. It might be the IOC's current goal, but the Olympics will be fine without him.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:46 AM   #815
Huckleberry
College Starter

By the way, 200 meter results

Spoiler

Old 08-20-2008, 09:58 AM   #816
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
By the way, 200 meter results

Spoiler

Spoiler

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:12 AM   #817
Huckleberry
College Starter

That might have been the point, of course. I am waging a counter-propoganda war. This is important stuff.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:07 AM   #818
Anthony
Banned

he isn't an American, why would you expect the coverage/media hype for a Jamaican to be as huge as for an American? there's always a level of homersim in the Olympics. to wag your finger at people who cheer for the hometown kid who did great at the Olympics is plain dumb. you're a communist.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:31 PM   #819
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
The ratings are down not even mostly because of Phelps, IMO.

Internet + tape delay = terrible ratings

+1

I find myself caring a lot less about watching the track & field events since I already know the results. I tuned in to watch a lot of the swimming live (not just Phelps).
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:09 PM   #820
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
+1

I find myself caring a lot less about watching the track & field events since I already know the results. I tuned in to watch a lot of the swimming live (not just Phelps).

For example, there's a very good chance I won't watch the 200m final tonight on NBC. I already know the result and I already watched video of the race thanks to the internet. Why would I sit through all the commercials and pre-event hype for less than 20 seconds of competition later tonight?

Now if the final had been live there is no way I would have missed it.

Last edited by Huckleberry : 08-20-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:10 PM   #821
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

boggles my mind that NBC isn't charging for the video-streams on the website - i think that'd be a huge potential source of revenue for them -- perhaps in the future and this is just sort of a "test run" of it
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:13 PM   #822
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
boggles my mind that NBC isn't charging for the video-streams on the website - i think that'd be a huge potential source of revenue for them -- perhaps in the future and this is just sort of a "test run" of it

It's like a crack dealer...first taste is free. Once your addicted...then come the charges.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:18 PM   #823
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The 4 by 100 relay should be amazing. I wonder why there is no 4x200 one. I'd think Jamaica will win, but team USA could pull the upset.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:22 PM   #824
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I wonder why there is no 4x200 one.

So the swimmers can have more medals than the track athletes.

Duh.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:23 PM   #825
larrymcg421
Head Coach

So we've had "Who cares?" about Phelps accomplishment and now we've gotten to Phelps not having a major impact on the ratings. I think we've left the realm of reality.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:43 PM   #826
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
So we've had "Who cares?" about Phelps accomplishment and now we've gotten to Phelps not having a major impact on the ratings. I think we've left the realm of reality.

I never said he didn't have a major impact. I said I think the internet + tape delay is a bigger impact.

I didn't watch NBC's coverage of the 100 meter final and probably won't watch their coverage of the 200 meter final. I pretty much never miss those events and I have never missed those events if they've been televised live (except probably in 1980, but I was 2 years old about to turn 3 so I'm not sure).

As shown above there are others in the same boat. Do you think the ratings for Phelps' races would have been the same if it were tape-delayed and everyone already knew the result? Or do you think maybe NBC is well aware that the ratings would have taken a huge hit because of tape delay and that's why they negotiated with the IOC to run those races in the morning in Beijing so they could be live in U.S. primetime?

Old 08-20-2008, 05:44 PM   #827
MrDNA
High School Varsity

It seems like we're not talking about sports so much anymore, but U.S. Men's volleyball in the medal round, too. Good game, too.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:04 PM   #828
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Media Life Magazine - Beijing Games hold lead over Athens
Still, the network’s momentum has clearly cooled a bit after the huge numbers for the opening week, which featured Michael Phelps’ eight gold medal run and the bulk of the gymnastics competition.

That’s not surprising. Nearly every Summer Games sees ratings dip from the first to the second week because the second-week events tend to be less popular.

The second week has slipped an average 12.5 percent the past four Games, dating back to Barcelona, according to an analysis by SportsBusiness Journal.

The smallest dropoff, 9 percent, came in 1996, when the U.S. hosted the Olympics in Atlanta. U.S. Games tend to see higher ratings generally.

The past two Olympics have fallen an average 12 percent in their second weeks, and that’s about where NBC stands right now. Monday’s viewership was off 11 percent from the previous week, when Phelps captured his third and fourth gold medals.

If ratings stay on a similar trajectory, NBC will still finish well ahead of Athens as well as Sydney 2000, the lowest-rated primetime Olympics ever.

Here's another interesting profile about the average Olympic viewer on NBC.

Just a snippet here: The median age is 48, the largest viewing cell is women in their late 40's, but much of the increased viewership is coming from men this year, up 18% over Athens (women up 9%).

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-20-2008 at 06:08 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:41 PM   #829
Autumn
Head Coach

Did anyone catch that comment during women's gymnastics the other night about how Michael Phelps and Alicia Sacramone had the biggest amount of hits on the Olympics site? The announcer was impressed about Alicia being up there, and I was chortling at home. I know I looked her up only because someone on this thread posted a pic iof how hot she was. NBC discovers internet pr0n!!
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:46 PM   #830
larrymcg421
Head Coach

May/Walsh win the Gold!

Old 08-20-2008, 10:50 PM   #831
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Stop the idiot with the mic at the water cube interviewing the crying girl.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-20-2008 at 10:51 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:20 PM   #832
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Stop the idiot with the mic at the water cube interviewing the crying girl.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:25 PM   #833
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Stop the idiot with the mic at the water cube interviewing the crying girl. SI
Andrea Kremer is really terrible at the empathy thing.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:55 AM   #834
Icy
Pro Starter

Sad decision by the Olympic games organization, not allowing the Spanish competitors to wear a black lace in the memory of the 153 dead passengers that died yesterday in a terrible plane crash in Spain.

The Spanish Olympic delegation asked the Chinese organization to allow Spanish competitors to wear that black lace today, and to have the Spanish flag half lowered in memory of yesterday's victims but the Chinese didn't approve it saying that they don't allow those kind of public acts not related to the Olympic games.

What a bunch of insensible hardheads, but what else could you expect from a country dictators like the ones governing in China? Fun how the Olympic games should support civil rights and freedom and all countries including mine are sucking Chinese asses because their economic power and business opportunities in their huge market :/

Last edited by Icy : 08-21-2008 at 03:58 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:45 AM   #835
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I haven't read back about the Phelps-Bolt-saved the Olympics-greatest olympian ever discovered saga, but I wanted to share this, so take it however it applies:

On Saturday night, I was in a high class restaurant in Manhattan named Keen's Chophouse (expensive as hell, I got the cheapest thing and damned to heck if I care what the waiter thought), which is the last place I would expect too many people to care about sports, much less the Olympics.

As my party and I were finished with our meals, we wandered over to Keen's adjoining bar to wait while some others went to the bathroom. Well, Phelps was about to race for his eighth gold (the relay) live. The bar was packed, mostly with guys like you or I that could give a rat's ass about the Olympics. And every eye was riveted to the TV. No sound was being made at all as this race started.

Once it did, everyone started yelling support at the screen. The bartenders were yelling at the screen. Everyone was pointing. No one was ordering a drink or looking anywhere but at Phelps and his teammates trying to get that gold. Once they did, the place just exploded. Everyone was giddy with happiness over Phelps getting his eighth gold. It was pretty overwhelming, I have to admit.

Any time you see that sorta passion from a large group of people who don't normally care about the Olympics, that's really something. Phelps has definitely had an impact (at least on Americans).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:25 AM   #836
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Elmo: I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the goddamn goalie never knew what the fuck hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'm here, sitting alone in my room, and I start crying.
[pause]
That's right, I start crying. Because another human being, a species that I happen to belong to, could kick a ball, and lift himself, and the rest of us sad-assed human beings, up to a better place to be, if only for a minute... let me tell ya, kid - it was pretty goddamned glorious. It ain't the six minutes... it's what happens in that six minutes.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:24 AM   #837
Celeval
Pro Starter

I have a feeling the Elmo who said that wasn't the Elmo I initially thought.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:29 AM   #838
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Sad decision by the Olympic games organization, not allowing the Spanish competitors to wear a black lace in the memory of the 153 dead passengers that died yesterday in a terrible plane crash in Spain.

The Spanish Olympic delegation asked the Chinese organization to allow Spanish competitors to wear that black lace today, and to have the Spanish flag half lowered in memory of yesterday's victims but the Chinese didn't approve it saying that they don't allow those kind of public acts not related to the Olympic games.

What a bunch of insensible hardheads, but what else could you expect from a country dictators like the ones governing in China? Fun how the Olympic games should support civil rights and freedom and all countries including mine are sucking Chinese asses because their economic power and business opportunities in their huge market :/

Why would they even bother to ask permission? What are they gonna do, not let the Spanish compete?
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:41 AM   #839
DanGarion
Coordinator

I don't understand why the Chinese organization has any say, shouldn't the IOC make the ruling?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:05 AM   #840
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
I don't understand why the Chinese organization has any say, shouldn't the IOC make the ruling?

For what i'm reading, the IOC made the ruling after the BOCOG (Chinese Olympic games organization) asked them to rule against it, as Chinese government doesn't allow public showing of symbols related to tragedies. The IOC agreed to disaalow it to not to offend the Chineses.

Before Spain, USA asked also for it when a Voley coach parent was killed early in Pekin at the start of the games, it was denied too.

Spanish sportment are ignoring it and wearing the black lace, for example the Spanish sailing gold medal winners today were wearing it when receiving the medal. I doubt the COI will have the nuts to disqualify them for something like that.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:53 AM   #841
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Elmo: I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the goddamn goalie never knew what the fuck hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'm here, sitting alone in my room, and I start crying.
[pause]
That's right, I start crying. Because another human being, a species that I happen to belong to, could kick a ball, and lift himself, and the rest of us sad-assed human beings, up to a better place to be, if only for a minute... let me tell ya, kid - it was pretty goddamned glorious. It ain't the six minutes... it's what happens in that six minutes.
You are awesome.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:51 PM   #842
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Wow, just watched the end of the Norway-South Korea Women's Handball semifinals. Norway was up three with a minute to play (the clock in handball is a running clock). Norway gets a two minute penalty, and Korea starts a comeback after a steal and a missed Norway shot.

Korea actually ties the game at 28 with :06 to play. Norway's goalie has to fish the ball out of the net, get it to a teammate at half court... (when a player has the ball at mid court, the play can begin) the player at halfcourt gets it to a fast teammate who gets a shot off with :01 to play.. and it beats the goalie, sending Norway to the Gold medal Game, 29-28!
Old 08-21-2008, 12:55 PM   #843
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Team handball is so fun to play.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:38 PM   #844
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

So she is 14....

FOXNews.com - Report: Hacker Uncovers Proof Chinese Gymnast Is Underage - 2008 Summer Olympics
Old 08-21-2008, 05:51 PM   #845
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Naughty, naughty, China. There's a black eye for you.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:01 PM   #846
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

What are the odds anything actually happens?
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:10 PM   #847
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
What are the odds anything actually happens?

Very slim to none. The IOC appears quite willing to bend themselves not only over but into a pretzel to keep the Chinese happy.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:26 PM   #848
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

seriously - that's fucking disgraceful if nothing happens, the IOC can go fuck themselves - she ought to be stripped and the chinese team golds ought to be stripped too
Old 08-21-2008, 07:27 PM   #849
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Yeah, like no one expected that?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:29 PM   #850
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

didn't expect proof to come out this soon