Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-11-2007, 12:57 PM   #801
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post
In past versions there has been a cleaning program you can use (not sure if there is one for FM08 yet) or you can do it manually. Run FM08 and load your game, minimize the game, open The %temp% file, and delete all of the .pkm files you find. The .pkm files are the files where saved matches are saved. I usually clean these out once a year during the off season.
That is a SWEET tip - thank you!
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:20 PM   #802
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
what kind of PC are you running that setup on? Is there any crawl at any time and how far have you gone into your career?

I'm always afraid that I'll pick too many leagues and will regret doing so 5, 7 or 10 seasons in the future...

FM

I do think that the sim speeds are better in '08 than they were in '06 which I played previously. I'm really happy with the sim speed thus far and I've got quite a few active leagues.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:22 PM   #803
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I do think that the sim speeds are better in '08 than they were in '06 which I played previously. I'm really happy with the sim speed thus far and I've got quite a few active leagues.

well, they were massively improved from '06 to '07, I can tell you that.

Anybody can vouch for an improvement from '07 to '08?

FM
Old 12-11-2007, 01:25 PM   #804
gi
College Prospect

Quote:

FM

I've found the changes are worth it for the upgrade from 07 to 08. I'm enjoying the game more than I did with 07.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:26 PM   #805
Shepp
High School Varsity

Just an FYI about the save game cleaner. The version I last used was for FM06. It was called "fmsavegamecleaner06". I don't know if there was an Fm07 version made but I read in some places that the 06 version wroked for 07. Personally, I never had the guts to try it. It is completely unsupported by SI and I think it was originally written in russian. It also has the ability to delete a lot more than just matches from save games, so if you click the wrong function it can royally screw your saved game file. You definately want to back up your saved game file before messing with this.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:43 PM   #806
path12
Coordinator

I used the 06 cleaner version in 07 and had no problems FWIW. Haven't tried it yet in this version.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:49 PM   #807
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi View Post
I've found the changes are worth it for the upgrade from 07 to 08. I'm enjoying the game more than I did with 07.

are you talking about features in general or with the processing speed in particular?

FM
Old 12-11-2007, 01:54 PM   #808
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
are you talking about features in general or with the processing speed in particular?

FM

I'm enjoying the new features more, but I have seen a speed increase. I use the max database with all the teams btw.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:58 PM   #809
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
I use the max database with all the teams btw.

Hundreds of leagues? That's crazy talk.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:00 PM   #810
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I'm enjoying the new features more, but I have seen a speed increase. I use the max database with all the teams btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post

Hundreds of leagues? That's crazy talk.

yeah, huh, wow.

And what kind of machine is that running on?

FM
Old 12-11-2007, 02:02 PM   #811
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
I'm afraid we haven't been able to put the MLS into the game yet (feel free to nudge SEGA America about the game - its not distributed stateside yet to my knowledge) ....

The lowest league simulated in England is the Conference, not quite as far down as the PC game goes - but for a handheld its pretty deep and it'll definitely help you while away any boring hours you might be stuck out and about (waiting for the car to be serviced, pick the kids up from school, wife to finish shopping, whatever ).

If there are bugs found in PSP version, do you guys patch it? Or is it even possible to patch it? my PSP is online, that would be pretty cool if you could.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:08 PM   #812
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
yeah, huh, wow.

And what kind of machine is that running on?

FM

2.4ghz Intel Dual Core / 4ghz ram. WD Rapture 10,000 rpm HD.

I have to be a little patient, but when playing at work, it doesn't matter too much.

I misspoke too, I use all leagues, I eliminate some of the lower level tier's in some of the non-UK leagues.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:32 PM   #813
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

FM

Processing speed is a little better; load speed is quite a bit better; save speed is MUCH better.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:32 PM   #814
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacman View Post
Processing speed is a little better; load speed is quite a bit better; save speed is MUCH better.

+1
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:56 AM   #815
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I'm still playing FM2007 but while I'm waiting for my copy of WWSM2008 to show up (thanks again dacman, and everyone who offered their help!), are there any graphical upgrades you guys would recommend for the '08 version?

Skins, logo packs, facepacks, pack packs, any kind of packs? Name your favorite...

FM
Old 12-13-2007, 12:08 PM   #816
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm still playing FM2007 but while I'm waiting for my copy of WWSM2008 to show up (thanks again dacman, and everyone who offered their help!), are there any graphical upgrades you guys would recommend for the '08 version?

Skins, logo packs, facepacks, pack packs, any kind of packs? Name your favorite...

FM

I'm using a skin called Steklo Black (or something like that) from sort it out si and that's been pretty nice.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:21 PM   #817
Shepp
High School Varsity

I'm using the All-in-One logos and the SS08 kits. You can find both of these and a whole bunch of other stuff at fmglive.com
Old 12-14-2007, 07:39 AM   #818
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
I'm using a skin called Steklo Black (or something like that) from sort it out si and that's been pretty nice.

from the few screenies I've seen, that's definitely the kind of skin I'd like. I hate busy backgrounds (like grass or player or stadium pictures) when I'm trying to read text or player cards...

FM
Old 12-14-2007, 11:48 AM   #819
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm using the All-in-One logos and the SS08 kits. You can find both of these and a whole bunch of other stuff at fmglive.com

Thanks for the link, sort it out is always so damn slow I'll check this one out tonight.

Are the logo and kit sets just for England? I'm playing France this time around (Grenoble Foot 38 FTW!!)
Old 12-14-2007, 11:50 AM   #820
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
from the few screenies I've seen, that's definitely the kind of skin I'd like. I hate busy backgrounds (like grass or player or stadium pictures) when I'm trying to read text or player cards...

If you see any others like that, let me know -- I prefer a clean look also. I think my all time favorite skin was one called Cappucino from 06. There was also one with an itunes look in 06 that was very sleek.

I'd love to learn how to skin, but I don't know that I'd have the time and/or patience to do it well.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:20 PM   #821
Shepp
High School Varsity

Quote:
Thanks for the link, sort it out is always so damn slow I'll check this one out tonight.

Are the logo and kit sets just for England? I'm playing France this time around (Grenoble Foot 38 FTW!!)

No, part of the reason I picked the All-in-one and SS08 is because they had the most coutries to choose from. You should have no problem finding what you need.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:55 PM   #822
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I like the dark skins, but I hate the colors they choose for the attributes.

There's a skin called "metallic" on Susie that mimics the default skin, but changes the background and foreground contrasts slightly to make it much more readable.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:44 PM   #823
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacman View Post

One thing I noticed last night for the first time (I have had the game for a while but my playing time has been limited in part because of computer problems) is that the transition from Dec. 31 to Jan. 1 seems a million times faster to me.

In past versions it always seemed to take forever for the calender to flip over to the new year for me. Last night I noticed it flipped over like it was just another normal day. Very nice to me. And saves are much faster for me as well.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:14 PM   #824
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, posting in here reminded me I was thinking of posting a bit of a game story, so here it is.

I started a game not long after the release, with the Albion Rovers of the Scottish 3rd Division. For some reason over the years this has become my 'regular' team. They are usually one of the worst in the 3rd and fun to build up. The problem with the Scottish leagues before the patch caused me to stop playing near the end of the first season, and then my computer died. New computer and it was start over time. I put it off until this week though because to me the only real annoying part of this game to me is the beginging as I dig through a million players trying to upgrade my team. I finally went ahead and started doing it this week though, and quickly fell in love with my team. Faster then I have ever done before.

I went crazy, releasing a few crap guys and bringing in as many new guys as possible. It was either suck all season, or bring in a lot of new guys and suck early on because of it but hopefully crank it up at the end of the year. Instead I jumped off to a great start right away. I was able to get two guys on loan from SPL teams, a young stud GK and a young stud striker. Both have been huge for my team. I also brought in a completely new starting midfield, a couple more forwards, and was only able to bring in one defender. my defenders are my weekness still.

Things were rough in the friendlies, not winning one of them and just not looking good. Once the regular games started though everything clicked. In the Scottish Challenge cup I ended up knocking off two SD1 teams before losing to the 1st place SD1 team in the quarterfinals. My on loan striker has been scroing goals like mad, even setting a record with 5 in one game before I pulled him about the 78 minute mark. My other young forward Hoogenwoth (Hoogs for short) is also playing great.

Because of my defense and a problem with figuring who my 2nd GK should be when my on loan guy was injured, it hasn't been perfect. Still, I am sitting in 2nd place at the begining of Jan. and have been rumored with the open job in Hamilton of SD1 already. This may be my best job of finding new talent early on in a game ever.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:20 PM   #825
Izulde
Head Coach

I brought in a few guys to Thurrock and we went through friendly season. Just tied our first Conference Premier game at 3-3 and we would've won if the last-second goal wouldn't have been disallowed.

We're $129,000 in the red, so the board is nervous, plus I've got two guys sitting here with $53,000 a year salaries eating a good portion of my wage budget.

Are we good enough to avoid relegation with the new guys I brought in? I don't know.... but I do know I'll be hitting the loans market soon.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:37 PM   #826
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
I like the dark skins, but I hate the colors they choose for the attributes.

There's a skin called "metallic" on Susie that mimics the default skin, but changes the background and foreground contrasts slightly to make it much more readable.

I know there was a way in 07 to edit the colors on the attributes that was pretty easy (if I can do it I consider that pretty damn easy). I'll try and find the directions for it tonight, but I don't know that it's the same in 08.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:27 PM   #827
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

Thanks for the tip on this one. I loaded it and absolutely love it. Great, great skin. I was using Flex. I like this one a lot better. Everything readable. Love the dark background.

Very nice.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:11 PM   #828
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
i can't figure out this site. ack.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:03 PM   #829
Shepp
High School Varsity

They have just revamped the site so there isn't a whole lot uploaded there yet. You have to go to the forum to get to most of the good stuff.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:26 PM   #830
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I know I have this game underneath the tree and just killing me that I can not play it.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:28 PM   #831
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
I know I have this game underneath the tree and just killing me that I can not play it.

Suggest to LSG that you exchange one present early!
Old 12-14-2007, 09:28 PM   #832
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

fuckit. I wouldn't be able to wait. Play it now!
Old 12-14-2007, 09:44 PM   #833
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:

open it, take out the disk and install and play. then rewrap the empty box and put it under the tree! the perfect crime.... unless your woman is smart, then she will notice your on your computer all day playing FM, and then your screwed! but if that happens tell her she can open 1 present early. this is where you better have bought her a damn good present. might i suggest a vibrator, that will keep her busy while you play

Last edited by bulletsponge : 12-14-2007 at 09:44 PM.
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:17 PM   #834
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I just realized I might not be patched -- is version 8.0.1 the most recent version? When I clicked check for updates, it said there was a newer version, but they couldn't find it in their database. Thanks!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:43 PM   #835
samifan24
Pro Starter

It seems like the problems many people were facing have been fixed by the latest patches. I have 2007...is it really worth that upgrade to 2008? Is there really that much different?
Old 12-14-2007, 11:52 PM   #836
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

A) She is very smart when it comes to computers and my gaming. Perhaps I have taught her too much.
B) I have this and two other 360 games under the tree. They all look the same.
C) I am a terrible wrapper.
D) It is kind of hard to offer to swap one present early when I do not have one for her yet.

I am also waiting on some memory to come in for the new lappy. It is going to have 2GB and I imagine FM will fly on it.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:50 AM   #837
MrBug708
Head Coach

Does anyone actually play with fake players? I generally like having fake players in the game to actually make scouting more fun. Either that or I'll sim ahead 15 years
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 01:40 AM   #838
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

LSG told me it is actually one of those Burger King video games. Sorry.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 01:40 AM   #839
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Does anyone actually play with fake players? I generally like having fake players in the game to actually make scouting more fun. Either that or I'll sim ahead 15 years

My current game I'm using all fake players. I like it, especially with the facegen.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:22 AM   #840
Flasch186
Coordinator

have you noticed that as the fake players age or facegenned players, their hair will change with time?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:13 AM   #841
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
have you noticed that as the fake players age or facegenned players, their hair will change with time?

Seems to be the younger the player, the more likely they'll have a stupid trendy hairstyle. I haven't noticed any facial hair, is it possible?

I'm surprised how much facegen and fake players adds to the game for me, I havent used anything but fake players on the new version.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:04 AM   #842
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Ah this is what makes the Wee Rovers so much fun. I am ending the first year and have 6 straight wins. I am on fire after what could be considered a small slump in Jan. I have been inching up on Forfar, who has been in 1st place all year and get to within 2 points of them despite Dumbarton being the pain in my ass that they were all year (3 losses, 1 draw), ending my win streak.

Second to last match of the year is at home against Forfar, a win puts me in first place. It was a great game, especially on defense, and I take the 1-0 victory and first place. Last match of the year, also at home against the 6th place team in the league. The Wee Rovers struggle early on, but after the half manage to take a 1-0 lead. Then a lose a guy on two yellow cards, asshole! Then I give up the late goal right at the 89 minute mark, game ends in a draw. I was bummed out, Forfar probably won and I slip back into second were I have to play in the playoff.

Nope, I win the Championship. Forfar had a 4-4 draw against one of the 8th place team in SD3. I win the championship by 1 point. I win Coach of the Year. People love me. Down the stretch I was linked with most SPL and English Championship/League 1 openings.

The team made over $300,000 for the year, after starting with zero in the bank. That is what I get for transfer funds, zero, for the next season. No big deal, that is the Albion Rovers way. I am very happy with the big bump up to 10,000/wk wage budget and having a parent club (even if it is a SD1 club).

TIme to get going on season 2.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:39 PM   #843
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I managed to talk LSG into giving me the game early. What do I need to grab to get all the realistic team names, etc.?
Old 12-15-2007, 06:51 PM   #844
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I must confess...i haven't facepacked the game yet. Can someone link to comprehensive facepack that they're using?
Old 12-15-2007, 07:08 PM   #845
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

So, I haven't opened the game in at least a month - is there a WWSM patch out now? I think I ended up buying it from D2D - do I have to get a patch from them, or will the SI site do?

Its Christmas time and I've avoided making any holiday commitments - here comes my week of sitting on the couch.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:01 PM   #846
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

aaargh...i'm having one of those moments that I will agonize over for (in-game) years to come.

I have 2 offers accepted and contracts negotiated for 2 midfielders...there's a $10 million difference in transfer price and a $4/yr difference in wages, but I'm more concerned about which player to pick.

One midfielder is SLIGHTLY more defensively-skilled then the other. But the other has the edge in attacking SLIGHTLY as well physical talents. And by slight I mean "one line on the web" .

Both are 25 years old. One is "world-class" and one is not.

ANDDDD...posting this has helped me come to my senses to take the slightly more attackingly gifted one.

Cesc Fabregas here I come!!
Old 12-15-2007, 10:27 PM   #847
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I would take the attacking with slightly better physical as well.

So I came to post this: After my first game in SD2 I have been suspended for 1 match for comments I made after the game about a penalty. I guess I am building a reputation.

I lost the game as well, so I am not happy. 1-0 at home to Queens Park, whom 2 former players I have. I kind of expected this though. I brought in more guys then I originally meant to as I tried to make up for the defense I wasn't happy with while in SD3, as well as losing my goalie and top scoring striker who where both loan guys that did not want to come back. I managed to get guys on loan once again to replace them, and brought 1 new DC, 3 midfielders, and a couple forwards. I needed some depth and an upgrade at starting spots. Hopefully it starts to work out for me.

I love being able to transfer wage money to transfer funds. I was give $0 for tranfers and tried to work with it for a while. Then I found a guy I wanted and converted money over and spent all $70,000 on one guy. Then I converted some more over to help me add some better coaches. That is another good thing going on for me, as I could only have 3 last season, and am able to have 5 this season. They still say I should only have one, but what they say and what I can do are two different things.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:49 AM   #848
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Okay, so I'm playing as QUB in Northern Ireland, Second Division (so the third division, really). I'm down 1-0, and lose 1-0, after the refs miss THREE penalties that I should have had. So of course I bitch about it. But, since I've already been fined, I've received a touchline ban. My next game? The Antrim Trophy Final. So far, it looks like it let me set the initial tactics, but it told me I can't make any in-game tactics. Awesome!
Old 12-16-2007, 10:04 AM   #849
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Wow. So we score first -- my left winger hits a free kick in the 20th, but they score just before halftime to even it up. We end 90 minutes at 1-1, and go into extra time. In the 108th minute (just before halftime of extra time), we commit a penalty, and my captain draws his second yellow whining about it. Whoops. But, my keeper blocks the penalty! Then in the second half of extra time, again in the 108th minute, my right winger tips one in off the rebound, and we end up winning 2-1! Wow.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:21 PM   #850
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

How do I get the logos and facepacks setup? Do I need to create the folders myself?