Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-01-2005, 10:12 PM   #801
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Ouch. I feel your pain. I'm going to be upset if/when I get fired from Harrogate.

The way things seem to be going they'll be building an Eaglesfan27 statue in front of the stadium long before you're fired.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 10:13 PM   #802
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
The way things seem to be going they'll be building an Eaglesfan27 statue in front of the stadium long before you're fired.

I know that this is a "what have you done for me lately business." They'll turn on me quick if I start losing
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 11:35 PM   #803
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Looking for some advice. I got a guy on my conference team that is a striker, but he continually misses the net. I therefore have a tendency to bring some fresh legs in (though my other guys aren't rated any higher, they seem to perform better) the second half. The problem is, whenever I take the guy out, his morale completely nosedives. Other guys seem ok with not playing every single game, but not this guy. I only have about 3 playable forwards, so I can't risk having this guy sit around and bitch because he's definitely part of the rotation (however, the 2 other guys in my rotation have scored and this guy hasn't).

BTW - I inherited a team with NO transfer budget, and we're still over our budget for salary. Therefore, this guy is not easily replaceable. I've been thinking about criticising him in the media, but then I'm afraid he may COMPLETELY fall apart.

Any ideas?
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 01-01-2005 at 11:37 PM.
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 11:39 PM   #804
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Looking for some advice. I got a guy on my conference team that is a striker, but he continually misses the net. I therefore have a tendency to bring some fresh legs in (though my other guys aren't rated any higher, they seem to perform better) the second half. The problem is, whenever I take the guy out, his morale completely nosedives. Other guys seem ok with not playing every single game, but not this guy. I only have about 3 playable forwards, so I can't risk having this guy sit around and bitch because he's definitely part of the rotation (however, the 2 other guys in my rotation have scored and this guy hasn't).

BTW - I inherited a team with NO transfer budget, and we're still over our budget for salary. Therefore, this guy is not easily replaceable. I've been thinking about criticising him in the media, but then I'm afraid he may COMPLETELY fall apart.

Any ideas?

I love FM (the soccer game).
Old 01-02-2005, 12:26 AM   #805
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Any ideas?

Tough situation. It sounds like he is probably temperamental. One of my guys is as well. They can be very annoying in regards to keeping their morale up. If it were me, I'd look at finding a replacement for the guy while playing him regularly since you need him for now. I'd also cross my fingers and hope for the best.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:28 AM   #806
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Any ideas?

Throm him to the wolves. You do not need bitchy players on your team. I have finded a guy for three weeks for missing practice. Pansy.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:36 AM   #807
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I know that this is a "what have you done for me lately business." They'll turn on me quick if I start losing

I love FM. My team just took a sudden hit. Mark Smyth, Mr. unambitious (per his profile), suddenly decided he wants to move to a bigger club. Now, I have a very hard decision. Do I move him, and possibly upset the entire team that one of our best players is being moved? Or do I risk keeping him, and having him possibly become a team cancer? Of course, I also have to factor in that his contract is expiring in 8 months. Tough decision. This is a great game
Old 01-02-2005, 12:56 AM   #808
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Looking for some advice. I got a guy on my conference team that is a striker, but he continually misses the net. I therefore have a tendency to bring some fresh legs in (though my other guys aren't rated any higher, they seem to perform better) the second half.

How did you sign Emil Heskey to a conference team? There are hidden stats for pressure, consistency, and important games, among other things. That could be a factor. Also check his concentration and/or composure.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:31 AM   #809
3ric
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
Wow. I want to know who that ref is. I heart him.

Manuel Mejuto Gonzalez from Spain.
hxxp://www.euro2004.com/Features/Kind=2048/newsId=190761.html
(Pic and EURO2004 article)
Old 01-02-2005, 07:17 AM   #810
bhlloy
Coordinator

Craig - ditch him. If he's consistently not scoring then his hidden stats + combination of his visible ratings probably mean he's just not a good striker. I've stuck with guys who've just looked like they should be quality strikers (high pace + finishing) but haven't produced for an entire season in the past, and they've only ended up with 3 or 4 goals. Looking at it now, probably down to poor mental attributes (off the ball and positioning as well as the ones Desnudo mentioned?) and hidden attributes as well. I can usually tell if a striker is going to get goals for me in the first couple of friendly matches just by watching the highlights.

Alternatively, if he has good ball skills + passing, play him just behind the strikers

Last edited by bhlloy : 01-02-2005 at 07:19 AM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 10:49 AM   #811
BigDPW
College Prospect

Can anyone tell me what it means after I make a comment to the media about an up coming opponent and the players respond with "Thinks he will meet strenght with strength"??? Is that good or bad... I have noticed that some players react negatively when I make some comments to the media about opponents saying that it is unprofessional... (awesome) But the whole strenght with strength thing throws me I don't know if that is bad or good... If I recall it typically comes after I say that I hope the best team wins in our upcoming match...
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 10:57 AM   #812
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Any 2d graphics that work?

I have the stone skin and crome pro soccer ball, looks great.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 11:00 AM   #813
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW
Can anyone tell me what it means after I make a comment to the media about an up coming opponent and the players respond with "Thinks he will meet strenght with strength"??? Is that good or bad... I have noticed that some players react negatively when I make some comments to the media about opponents saying that it is unprofessional... (awesome) But the whole strenght with strength thing throws me I don't know if that is bad or good... If I recall it typically comes after I say that I hope the best team wins in our upcoming match...

I try to stay away from media and coaches head games.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 02:55 PM   #814
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy
Craig - ditch him. If he's consistently not scoring then his hidden stats + combination of his visible ratings probably mean he's just not a good striker. I've stuck with guys who've just looked like they should be quality strikers (high pace + finishing) but haven't produced for an entire season in the past, and they've only ended up with 3 or 4 goals. Looking at it now, probably down to poor mental attributes (off the ball and positioning as well as the ones Desnudo mentioned?) and hidden attributes as well. I can usually tell if a striker is going to get goals for me in the first couple of friendly matches just by watching the highlights.

Alternatively, if he has good ball skills + passing, play him just behind the strikers

Off the Ball is a key stat for offensive players. Positioning is the counterpart for defenders and you don't need it for your forwards. I believe Concentration is the key shooting stat for attackers, and Composure is the counterpart for defenders. I'm not sure which is which of the latter two, but that seems correct.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:54 PM   #815
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

nice playing at the glasgow rangers in the cup, the overall budget for my team went from 80,000€ to 718,000€ after just one game (2-1 loss btw)
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 07:13 PM   #816
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I'm playing as Cambridge in a game for fun (7th, the last playoff spot, 15 games in), and I noticed that one team's had er.. an interesting season.

You remember that old saw a tie is like kissing your sister?

Well, Northampton would be arrested for incest in 37 states, Puerto Rico, and Guam.

Their record on the year in League Two after 15 games.

3 Wins, 2 Losses, 10 Draws.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 01-02-2005 at 07:13 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 07:22 PM   #817
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

I found these posted on another forum by Marc Duffy:
Thought I'd give you guys an insight into some of the ongoing work to the MLS for Patch2

- After MLS squads are limited to 24 players, the game now doesn't allow 2 extra players to be added later.
- Separated the MLS Conference semi finals into East and West stages. Teams in a higher league position now play the second leg at home.
- Upped the MLS maximum wage to $6000 instead of $4000.
- Major League Soccer teams always use their second kits when playing away.
- When players move between MLS teams, they now keep their old contract instead of negotiating a new one.
- Re-Tuned exchange deals specific to mls
- Value of draft picks more closely linked to standard of draft players
- Reduced the amount of draft picks offered in deals by computer managers
- Ensured regen happens before each draft (escpecially first season)
- Increased age of regens in america due to college system
- Increased starting ability of regens in america due to college system
- Re-tuned computer manager decisions when selecting draft players
- Added assistant manager star rating to draft screen
- Ensured draft allocation and exchange deals shown properly on world transfers screen
Sharpieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 07:25 PM   #818
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
Off the Ball is a key stat for offensive players. Positioning is the counterpart for defenders and you don't need it for your forwards. I believe Concentration is the key shooting stat for attackers, and Composure is the counterpart for defenders. I'm not sure which is which of the latter two, but that seems correct.

Thanks, that's very interesting and useful. Seems odd at first that there are 2 seperate ratings but I suppose a center back who is always the right side of his man is not the same as an attacker who is in the right place to put a rebound away.

I would have thought composure more for attackers actually, but you may be right. You hear about players having great composure in front of goal, where as a defender would need concentration track a player and then make a good clean challenge?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 07:26 PM   #819
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Off the Ball basically means that the striker knows how to move into space when he doesn't have the ball, to receive a pass in an attacking position.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:44 PM   #820
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy
Out of curiousity, how would you guys position a forward who plays just behind the striker? A Bergkamp type? Would you have him line up as a forward who is arrow'ed back or as an attacking midfielder who is arrow'ed forward?
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 08:49 PM   #821
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
Out of curiousity, how would you guys position a forward who plays just behind the striker? A Bergkamp type? Would you have him line up as a forward who is arrow'ed back or as an attacking midfielder who is arrow'ed forward?
I'd suggest placing him on the row just behind the strikers (ie. in the central AMC position in front of the midfielders) - up to you if you want to roam him forward with an arrow or use him as a creative foil (ie. no arrow and tell him to play killer through balls to other attackers) ....
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 08:46 AM   #822
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Awesome. Thanks, Marc.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 05:42 PM   #823
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
i went to a bunch of stores today and found WSM NOWHERE. Where the hell is it?

It seems that Gamestop/Software Etc. are the only ones to have gotten it and not every store will get it. You can go to gamestop.com, search for WSM, and then use the "Check Store Availability" to see if it's in a store near you.

I also found the ever elusive NHL Eastside Hockey Manager at a Gamestop.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 08:33 PM   #824
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
It seems that Gamestop/Software Etc. are the only ones to have gotten it and not every store will get it. You can go to gamestop.com, search for WSM, and then use the "Check Store Availability" to see if it's in a store near you.

I also found the ever elusive NHL Eastside Hockey Manager at a Gamestop.

But call first, because even their computers are wrong most of the time.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:20 PM   #825
Celeval
Pro Starter

I picked up a copy of WSM in the Columbia, MD mall today... although I think it was the last copy, so they'd need to order more.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 05:10 AM   #826
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Was thinking of something I'd like to see in future versions : Players agent.

I know there are already in the game but what I'd like to see is them taking care of a real pool of players (that would need some extra research but it's probably available somewhere and some of the real agents are already in the game) with links in profile etc...

Those agents would have a negociation rating à la FOF.

Players could change of agent if they think they're getting screwed in all they're contract negociation or some agents could refuse to negociate with some general managers (therefore unallowing all their pool of players to sign in that club) because of past injustices etc...

The last point would probably be impossible for legal reasons, but could be available in the arse/debug mode or with fictional players.
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 11:19 AM   #827
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Was thinking of something I'd like to see in future versions : Players agent.

I know there are already in the game but what I'd like to see is them taking care of a real pool of players (that would need some extra research but it's probably available somewhere and some of the real agents are already in the game) with links in profile etc...
I'd love to do this - BUT unfortunately legally speaking we'd get shot down in flames ...

Problem is if we use real agent names then we'd have to get an agreement from each agent that we could do so (and this could be very expensive, bearing in mind the nature of agents) .... plus if we got a players position wrong (ie. placed him with the wrong agent) then all heck could break loose (this also stops the potential of us using random agents and assigning players to them).

I'll keep mulling it over and perhaps one day the legal strings on this side of things will change? ...
Old 01-06-2005, 11:20 AM   #828
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

PS> Doing it purely for regens would look somewhat strange in the game imho and doing it only for fictional (ie. fake player) games would be a lot of dev for a thing which only a small percentage of people would ever get a chance to appreciate.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:16 PM   #829
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I just discovered a VERY annoying bug.

Ok, the first paragraph is my own fault. I forgot to reassign Mark Atkins to the schedule that I wanted him on when I renewed his deal midseason. That is my own idiotic mistake. However, I do think it would be nice IF it was possible not to change the coach's schedules when you resign them.

However, here is the bug. I keep assigning my keeper coach to a customized schedule, and he keeps changing back on his own to either the generic goal keeping schedule or a "first team" schedule. I don't understand why he is doing this. I do it, and it changes back right away. I'm definitely hitting confirm before anyone asks. This is very annoying.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:24 PM   #830
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I just discovered a VERY annoying bug.

Ok, the first paragraph is my own fault. I forgot to reassign Mark Atkins to the schedule that I wanted him on when I renewed his deal midseason. That is my own idiotic mistake. However, I do think it would be nice IF it was possible not to change the coach's schedules when you resign them.

However, here is the bug. I keep assigning my keeper coach to a customized schedule, and he keeps changing back on his own to either the generic goal keeping schedule or a "first team" schedule. I don't understand why he is doing this. I do it, and it changes back right away. I'm definitely hitting confirm before anyone asks. This is very annoying.

Are you hitting confirm?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 07:26 PM   #831
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Maybe I should have highlighted the second to last sentence.. Yes, I am definitely hitting confirm.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:34 PM   #832
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

This is really annoying. I tried changing my coach Nigel Martyn to the default keeper schedule since it didn't want to stay on my designed schedule. I also switched my keepers to that schedule. But, he won't stay on that one. After I continued for a day or two, he is now on a first team schedule! Darn it. At least Atkins is staying on the custom schedule I put him on. I can't figure out why my keeper coach won't though

Yes, I'm hitting confirm.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:14 PM   #833
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I just went to sigames site, and both coach's schedule being reset after signing a new contract and my problem with Martin are linked as "known issues" already. Apparently, according to a thread over there, any coach who is an ex-player automatically defaults to First Team and doesn't keep the schedule he is assigned

My coach in question is an ex-player

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-06-2005 at 08:15 PM.