Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-01-2019, 09:32 AM   #8351
Flasch186
Coordinator

I didnt get a chance to watch AEW last night but everything I read was outside of bitching about the belt being put on CJ the show was outstanding with some great work involved.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:22 AM   #8352
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
I didnt get a chance to watch AEW last night but everything I read was outside of bitching about the belt being put on CJ the show was outstanding with some great work involved.

The complaints are pretty consistent with previous shows. The length is excessive, and the ultra-violence match really doesn't seem to be getting over. Concerns about production quality still get mentioned as well. Much more minor (but also consistent) is the batch-method for battle royales, I don't think that's getting any love anywhere and probably is a small thing they should just ditch.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:50 AM   #8353
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The complaints are pretty consistent with previous shows. The length is excessive, and the ultra-violence match really doesn't seem to be getting over. Concerns about production quality still get mentioned as well. Much more minor (but also consistent) is the batch-method for battle royales, I don't think that's getting any love anywhere and probably is a small thing they should just ditch.

And insisting on dragging a dog through entrances when he's clearly scared of the pyro.

Last edited by molson : 09-01-2019 at 11:56 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:09 PM   #8354
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
And insisting on dragging a dog through entrances when he's clearly scared of the pyro.

Heard about that and honestly it surprised me.

I've seen that dog up close in person, probably no more than 6-8 feet away. And he was remarkably unflappable. Crowd pops didn't cause him to bat an eye, nothing Cody did in the ring was even of interest to him, the most chill dog ever.

I suspect the negative reaction to the pyro last night was as much a surprise to the Rhodes' as anyone.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:20 PM   #8355
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Heard about that and honestly it surprised me.

I've seen that dog up close in person, probably no more than 6-8 feet away. And he was remarkably unflappable. Crowd pops didn't cause him to bat an eye, nothing Cody did in the ring was even of interest to him, the most chill dog ever.

I suspect the negative reaction to the pyro last night was as much a surprise to the Rhodes' as anyone.

Apparently the (loud) mortar pyro were unplanned.

Which maybe is a problem in its own right..
Old 09-01-2019, 01:42 PM   #8356
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Apparently the (loud) mortar pyro were unplanned.

Which maybe is a problem in its own right..

{facepalm}
Old 09-03-2019, 04:52 PM   #8357
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I've heard of wrestlers losing their title before ... but not usually so literally.

Chris Jericho Has Championship Belt Stolen Or Lost | Fightful Wrestling

You couldn't write this any better if you tried.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:36 PM   #8358
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I'm hoping they made more than one.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:47 PM   #8359
molson
General Manager

Are championship belts particularly special or are they the same as the replica belts that get sold to fans? Sometimes I've heard that they travel around with the wrestler, sometimes (I guess in the WWE), I've heard there's a bunch of them all over the place.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:37 PM   #8360
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Bryan Alvarez says they have two.
Err ... had two I guess.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:56 PM   #8361
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

In the WWE at least, there's the travelling belt, and there's the TV belt. The champ takes the travelling belt with them wherever they go. The other one is carried by the WWE and kept in better conditions to keep it nice and shiny.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:18 AM   #8362
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

courtesy Twitter (@BigDefEnergy)

YEAHHHHHH I’M GONNA TAKE MY LIMO TO THE OLD STEAK HOUSE I’M GONNA
DRIIIIIIINK TILL I LOSE MY BELT

I GOT THE LUGGAGE IN THE BACK
BIG BELT IS ATTACHED
HAT IS MATTE BLACK, WON A CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
TIME TO EAT SOME STEAK
GET BACK, WHOA NOW WAIT
SOMEONE STOLE MY BELT, I GUESS I MADE A BIG MISTAKE

HAD MYSELF WAY TOO MUCH BUBBLYYYYYYYY (DRANK TOO MUCH BUBBLYYYYY)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-04-2019 at 02:19 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:37 PM   #8363
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The plot(s) thicken

Anthem acquires majority stake in AXS, and Impact has a new home - Cageside Seats
Old 09-27-2019, 02:17 PM   #8364
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Has anyone watched Riptide Wrestling before? Have to admit that their cinematic thing is kind of cool.
Old 09-28-2019, 03:55 PM   #8365
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

CMLL fires Rush (the new ROH champ) and Dragon Lee after their appearances for ROH last night.

Dragon Lee already had heat with them for ignoring their orders to not work BOLA, I guess last night was the last straw.

Unclear what all this means for the relationship between CMLL & ROH, nor for NJPW & Dragon Lee.

Meltzer says both guys quit anyway and were simply fired an hour later, though that's not the consensus of the story so far.

edit: the heat seems to have started with the cutting of guarantees by the new management at CMLL, along with their attempt to take a bigger cut / increase fees for U.S. companies booking CMLL talent.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-28-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:25 PM   #8366
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Not a bad first match for Dynamite.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:49 PM   #8367
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Um... holy shit?
Old 10-03-2019, 11:01 AM   #8368
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

First match was damn good.
Crowd was as hot as any Ive seen in a long time.

From there it was...just ok. I mean it was better than the best WWE show Ive seen in ....5? years? But it wasnt life changing either.

The Omega Moxley line was a decent set up for a feud, one hell of a stunt, but a tad slow and predicatable.

In all they hooked me. I'll be back next week.Lets see after that.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:33 PM   #8369
molson
General Manager

Nice TV audience for AEW

1.409 million viewers V. 891k for NXT.

Both pretty good numbers. NXT wins with older viewers, AEW wins with younger. I saw someone note that NXT was only down 10% from last week, so AEW seems to be increasing wrestling's TV audience rather than taking viewers from WWE, which is good for everyone. AEW more than doubles up NXT in 18-49.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/wp-cont...Oct-02-WED.png

Last edited by molson : 10-03-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:48 PM   #8370
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My favorite part of the release reaction is watching a shill -- and at this point Bryan Alvarez can't be considered anything else unfortunately -- define .68 to .32 as "tripled"

It's a solid win for AEW, week one ... but did anyone expect anything different out of the box?

All manner of takeaways possible when you deep dive, mostly in terms of projecting the future a few months down the line. I'd think going h2h with MLB post-season hurts NXT more (older audience more likely to be split in their favor) but the real answer comes 2-3 months down the line once the new car smell is gone from AEW. Until then, we're all just entertaining ourselves with numbers.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:44 PM   #8371
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Smackdown does a damned big rating Friday.

I wonder ... will the combined wrestling audience for the week end up topping the MLB playoff audience? I think that's a very real possibility (maybe even a fait accompli)
Old 10-05-2019, 09:38 PM   #8372
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
I wonder ... will the combined wrestling audience for the week end up topping the MLB playoff audience? I think that's a very real possibility (maybe even a fait accompli)
Don't think so. MLB ratings were way up for the division series, from what I've seen. Think all the games are doing 3.5 million or more on cable, so really among the wrestling this week only Smackdown is even in the ballpark, so to speak.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:15 PM   #8373
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Don't think so. MLB ratings were way up for the division series, from what I've seen. Think all the games are doing 3.5 million or more on cable, so really among the wrestling this week only Smackdown is even in the ballpark, so to speak.

Sorry, I should have said 18-49 and/or 18-34 (since over half the baseball audience has been 50+ as of Thursday's games). My fault for not typing what was in my head.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-05-2019 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:05 PM   #8374
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

How does a Hell in a Cell match end in a DQ?
Old 10-06-2019, 10:25 PM   #8375
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How does a Hell in a Cell match end in a DQ?

Who are you, Sean Waltman?

lol
Old 10-06-2019, 10:55 PM   #8376
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I don't know if I could have ruined a main event as badly as WWE did tonight. That was abysmal. Absolutely nothing positive to say about what happened, just about everything that could have been done wrong short of a CEI was in play.

Just awful.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:01 PM   #8377
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

go check out the crowd reactions posted on Twitter - oh my dear god....

Last edited by Toddzilla : 10-06-2019 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:24 AM   #8378
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
go check out the crowd reactions posted on Twitter - oh my dear god....

At least the (alleged) rioting video outside appears to be fake
Old 10-07-2019, 10:33 AM   #8379
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

"So how'd the main event go?"

"Well...at least there wasn't actual rioting...we think"
Old 10-07-2019, 11:19 AM   #8380
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Why was The Fiend in a title match anyway? Why would a character like that even care about titles?

So they booked The Fiend as superhuman who could take endless finishers. Then they had to stop the match because Rollins was beating him up too much? I don't see how this is good for anyone involved.

Also the red lighting was dumb.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:32 AM   #8381
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Last edited by RainMaker : 10-07-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:07 PM   #8382
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

NWA put out their first show the other night. If you like the old school look, this was well done.

Old 10-09-2019, 03:42 PM   #8383
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I certainly got a kick out of their choice for opening theme music. At 52, I really am their target audience and not much could have made that any clearer.

I've gotten through about 12-13 mins of the show so far. Mixed bag really.

Aldis was pitch perfect in the opening interview, Marquez plays Freddy Miller I guess, and the pbp guy actually sounds pretty much perfect for the tone they're trying to hit.

Downside so far: the backdrop (specifically the "Power" inserts in the backdrop) look comically amateurish and going with a squash featuring Sal Rinauro (who I really enjoyed ... in the 90s) and Billy Buck (who I never enjoyed in the 2000s) has me questioning whether the old squash heavy format can work in 2019. Too many non-squash matches featuring more talented guys being produced every week for me to invest much time watching those.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:39 PM   #8384
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Downside so far: the backdrop (specifically the "Power" inserts in the backdrop) look comically amateurish and going with a squash featuring Sal Rinauro (who I really enjoyed ... in the 90s) and Billy Buck (who I never enjoyed in the 2000s) has me questioning whether the old squash heavy format can work in 2019. Too many non-squash matches featuring more talented guys being produced every week for me to invest much time watching those.

I guess I am not sure what this even is as I hadnt heard of it until now. The plus with the squash matches is if they ever get to PPV they wont be matches that have been seen a dozen times before. If the squash matches can keep the storylines moving forward I think it would work. I feel the downside to WWE right now is you can watch similar matches on live TV that you do the PPVs and you still can basically figure out who is going to win on live TV based on what they are pushing at that particular point in time.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:22 PM   #8385
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I guess I am not sure what this even is as I hadnt heard of it until now. The plus with the squash matches is if they ever get to PPV they wont be matches that have been seen a dozen times before. If the squash matches can keep the storylines moving forward I think it would work. I feel the downside to WWE right now is you can watch similar matches on live TV that you do the PPVs and you still can basically figure out who is going to win on live TV based on what they are pushing at that particular point in time.

Just so my comment is clear (in general). Sal & Billy were the squashees. The squashers were two random bigs I don't think I'd ever even heard of before.

I can likely see Billy (whose been a small indies guy here for at least 15 years now) 2-3 times a month within an hour of here, usually with crowds of 100-150. I first saw Sal back in NWA-Anarchy, watched him work in FIP (so basically +/- 20 years ago), most recently saw him eating the pin in a preshow dark match at the ROH TV tapings a couple months ago.

My issue with squashes in general today is probably born of expectations. I much prefer the illusion of a competitive matchup (even if I can pick winners 95% of the time) than two minutes of watching someone beat the crap out of people I've seen the crap beaten out of a LOT. If I want to see somebody get roughed up, I'll watch Suzuki mangle young lions.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-09-2019 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:54 PM   #8386
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Prichard replacing Bischoff as WWE SmackDown executive director

Things went well apparently
Old 10-15-2019, 07:00 PM   #8387
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

watching AEW Dark. Janela is insane, and Omega is also insane for doing this kind of match on a "Dark" show, even if it IS on youtube.

edit: It was as stupid-dangerous as your old-fashioned ECW events, tons of plunder, tons of stupid-danger spots (multiple german suplexes on the FLOOR, One Winged Angel on a Chair, etcetera)

Last edited by SirFozzie : 10-15-2019 at 07:15 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:08 AM   #8388
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

NJPW announces "New Japan Pro-Wrestling of America"

Run by Liger & Hattori.
up to 25 dates in 2020
primarily live on NJPWWorld
Seems to be mostly about tours & house shows (some offset with Japan tours, but with overlap possible)
Old 10-21-2019, 02:42 AM   #8389
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And either Randy Orton is screwing with everyone or....

(Photo is him posing by like a hallway elevator sign that says "Elite Level")

randyorton
Verified
tick tock tick tock @scottdawsonwwe @dashwilderwwe @thislukeharper @riddickmoss @americannightmarecody @chrisjerichofozzy @iameliaswwe
1h

https://www.instagram.com/p/B33tX4_A...d4f2SvfEGReDJ8

edit to add: only after posting did I realize that the location tag on his IG post was Jacksonville, FL

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-21-2019 at 02:43 AM.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:36 AM   #8390
PilotMan
Head Coach

Jericho's response was excellent.

"Send in a tape and I'll see what I can do for you."

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:04 PM   #8391
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Orton would be so good in AEW. When he's motivated and has a decent storyline, he's great.

This could also just be a way to negotiate a better deal with WWE.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:29 PM   #8392
PilotMan
Head Coach

Orton has always been really good, it's just that he's been stale in the WWE for about 10 years and I don't think there's a whole lot they can do to change that.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:34 PM   #8393
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I mostly appreciated Orton's trolling effort - first rate work really - more than any notion of him in AEW.

That said, I've wanted to see him do an NJPW run (or two) for several years now. If he's got something left in the tank, I can't think of a better way to get it out.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:00 PM   #8394
Flasch186
Coordinator

He's literally one of my favorites. Can have such great psych like Jake the Snake if they'd frickin' let him. WWE has blown it for a decade with him. Instead, they go spend it on a Scottish guy that they blow it with as well.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 02:38 PM   #8395
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I doubt he's leaving. While NJPW or AEW would be great, they can't come close to offering the money WWE can. My guess is this was a nice bit of negotiating on his part.

WWE can't afford to lose him and he knows it.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:40 PM   #8396
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
NJPW announces "New Japan Pro-Wrestling of America"

Run by Liger & Hattori.
up to 25 dates in 2020
primarily live on NJPWWorld
Seems to be mostly about tours & house shows (some offset with Japan tours, but with overlap possible)

Not sure I see this going well. 25 dates over-saturates the product here. They also don't have the big US names to fill the card like they had before. I think they'd be better off just running a handful of shows and keeping it special.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:00 PM   #8397
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not sure I see this going well. 25 dates over-saturates the product here. They also don't have the big US names to fill the card like they had before. I think they'd be better off just running a handful of shows and keeping it special.

Eh, I think they'll do fine with crowds if they stick to bldgs that are small-mediums.

I do think they'll have to get their pricing more in line with U.S. companies in order to do those butts in seats consistently though.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:10 PM   #8398
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Orton has always been really good, it's just that he's been stale in the WWE for about 10 years and I don't think there's a whole lot they can do to change that.

Orton going to AEW would be like Hogan going to TNA in 2010. No thanks!
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:14 PM   #8399
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Now I know FS1 is in slightly less homes than the other cable networks, but that Smackdown rating is really low. And they promoted the change a lot on the main network.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:37 PM   #8400
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Now I know FS1 is in slightly less homes than the other cable networks, but that Smackdown rating is really low. And they promoted the change a lot on the main network.

I'm reading where WWE is surprised/disappointed by the drop off ... which suggests to me that they both badly overestimate the loyalty of their audience (vs the number of casuals) AND don't have much understanding of the gap between USA and FS1 (reports suggest that WWE expected the numbers to be similar to what they got on USA)

USA network typically has a premiere position regardless of provider.

The average viewer doesn't even know whether they have FS1, much less where to find it amongst their channels.