Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-07-2023, 06:49 PM   #8101
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Not sure where to put this. Chris Licht out at cnn. What a disaster.

Anybody have a link to the cliff notes of the CNN drama? I know there was a shift to the right. I assume it was supposed to be a shift to being more centrist. The end result according to its core audience was Fox News Lite. Is that the gist?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 08:01 PM   #8102
Atocep
Coordinator

Trump's disapproval rating has been steadily in the mid-50s and currently sits at 57%. DeSantis' disapproval has completely collapsed and is barely better than Trump's now. It currently sits at 55% with only 36& approval.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 02:26 PM   #8103
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

This is good news and actually pretty surprising.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 04:15 PM   #8104
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Anybody have a link to the cliff notes of the CNN drama? I know there was a shift to the right. I assume it was supposed to be a shift to being more centrist. The end result according to its core audience was Fox News Lite. Is that the gist?

More or less they wanted to be Fox News Lite. There's just more right-wing people watching news due to the demographic breakdown. He also made a bunch of unpopular moves over the year and their ratings are in the shitter.

Seems like it all came to a head when they did an infomercial with Trump that one night.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 09:29 PM   #8105
Edward64
Head Coach

It would be good if we can cut down the gerrymandering. Hopefully a bunch of lawsuits forthcoming to contest other areas.

The conservative Supreme Court might have paved the way for Dems to take the House - POLITICO
Quote:
Democrats are poised to net a congressional seat in Alabama next November after Chief Justice John Roberts’ surprising opinion affirming a lower court’s findings that Republican mapmakers had likely illegally diluted the power of Black voters in the state.

But the ruling could very well have implications beyond Alabama. In declining to further weaken the Voting Rights Act, the high court opened the door for Democrats to make other claims of racial gerrymandering in states across the South. That decision could possibly cause a domino effect in Louisiana, South Carolina, Georgia and Texas, which may be forced to add new districts where Black and Latino voters would hold greater sway.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 09:32 PM   #8106
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
In other Fed news, the FBI arrested the real estate developer at the heart of the Texas AG impeachment.

Nate Paul, at center of Ken Paxton scandal, jailed on federal charges
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 11:05 AM   #8107
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Apparently for the first time in at least 20 years, personal credit card debt did not decline over the first quarter of the year. Usually of course that happens as people pay off their Christmas charges etc. It was basically flat instead.

That is probably not a good economic sign.

More credit card debt news.

There's a graphic that shows the breakdown by age.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/09/how-...ld-by-age.html
Quote:
On average, Americans carry around $5,733 in credit card debt, according to TransUnion’s latest report. But when you break it down by age, most carry more than that.

Those between the ages of 40 and 49 hold an average of about $7,600 in credit card debt — the highest of any age bracket, per TransUnion data provided to CNBC Make It.

Another graphic from another article on how it's grown

2023 Credit Card Debt Statistics | LendingTree

Last edited by Edward64 : 06-09-2023 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-09-2023, 11:55 AM   #8108
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

My wife was talking with a coworker who said her family has a couple hundred thousand in credit card ebt and don't fret about it at all. Somehow they're able to seemingly get unlimited credits that they just balance transfer roulette. They have terrible credit but keep getting high credit limits with no balance transfer fees. The open, transfer, spend, close, repeat.

I guess it works for them and let's them send their kids to private school with yearly trips and numerous sports. Meanwhile we're over here paying everything off each month and doing what we've been told is responsible adulting.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 12:15 PM   #8109
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

That sounds fucking horrible. I can't imagine living my life that way.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 12:21 PM   #8110
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I did that for about the first 3-4 years out of law school with $50K in debt, a $25K job and new wife and kid. It was pretty easy to manage, and the 12-15 month introductory periods were seemingly endless. I rarely paid a cent in interest. By about 2001, I was able to transition to using credit cards for rewards and basically as a substitute for debit cards/cash/checks.

However, it wasn't anywhere near 6 figures. Usually $10-15K at most, and I was paying it down as I transferred from one card to another.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-09-2023 at 12:22 PM.
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 04:29 PM   #8111
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

The thing with that is the risk. If it ever catches up to you, and the law of averages says that it will eventually at some point, you can find yourself paying a huge amount of interest and basically headed towards bankruptcy. To say nothing of the fact that you aren't saving for the future; you're saving for the credit card companies future.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 04:57 AM   #8112
Edward64
Head Coach

Even the richest man nor the CEO of the biggest company in the world didn't merit an audience with Xi. I'm thinking officially it's about the Gates Foundation but there's prob some unofficial messaging too?

Regardless, I'd rather have Bill Gates as an unofficial intermediary vs a Dennis Rodman.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/15/bill...this-week.html
Quote:
Microsoft’s co-founder Bill Gates is set to meet with China’s President Xi Jinping on Friday, Reuters reported Wednesday citing two sources familiar with the matter.

The report said that it may be a one-on-one meeting, without revealing what they might discuss.
Quote:
Gates’ visit comes ahead of a long-awaited trip by U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken to China this weekend, aimed at stabilizing relations between the two largest economies in the world.
Old 06-15-2023, 11:03 AM   #8113
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Not really sure where to put this. Brilliant move by Shapiro. He is going to be a player over the next several years.

Old 06-15-2023, 01:17 PM   #8114
GrantDawg

Maybe we need a SCOTUS thread. Another landmark case today that strongly reaffirmed court precedent. They ruled against a challenge to a law that prevents Natove American children from being adopted outside of their tribes. It was a 7-2 vote, with only Alito and Thomas voting against (of course). The ruling was written by Amy Coney Barrett, and sounds like it rejects some Constitutional arguments that would have gone well beyond this case.
So far this term seems to be SCOTUS returning back to norm after the how bad that term turned precedent on its head.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2023, 02:28 PM   #8115
Thomkal
Head Coach

So Rudy says the women informant who was going to say everything about the Bidens...is now dead. Shocking I know, and I'm pretty sure he'll blame Hunter or Joe for it very soon.

Last edited by Thomkal : 06-15-2023 at 03:30 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 02:53 PM   #8116
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
So Rudy says the women informant who was going to say everything about the Bidens...is now dead. Shocking I knew, and I'm pretty sure he'll blame Hunter or Joe for it very soon.

You almost have to admire how efficiently the misinformation machine works.
Old 06-15-2023, 02:57 PM   #8117
GrantDawg

Supposedly the 17 tapes that prove are held by a Russian oligarch, and his identity is hidden because they fear for his life. No one has actually heard any of these tapes, btw.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 06-15-2023 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-15-2023, 03:02 PM   #8118
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Supposedly the 17 tapes that prove are held by a Russian oligarch, and his identity is hidden because they fear for his life. No one has actually heard any of these tapes, btw.

And the Burisma exec that reportedly made them said they don't exist and that he's never had a conversation with Joe Biden.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 03:02 PM   #8119
GrantDawg

For the record, if these tapes exist, if they can be validated, and Biden is actually on them taking a bribe, then impeach him. Convict him in the Senate. Lock him up and throw away the key. I will call my congressman and Senators to encourage them to vote for his removal. What I won't do is say "Well, Trump did...". Trump being a crook does not allow Biden or anyone else to commit a crime.

Old 06-15-2023, 04:02 PM   #8120
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Not really sure where to put this. Brilliant move by Shapiro. He is going to be a player over the next several years.

It's simply a guarantee that someone shows their junk on this cam, right?
Old 06-15-2023, 04:05 PM   #8121
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
It's simply a guarantee that someone shows their junk on this cam, right?

I’ve always though a good premise of a thriller movie is someone sees a random person get murdered on a random webcam they were watching and it sucks them into a tangled web of deception.
Old 06-15-2023, 09:37 PM   #8122
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I don' have a lot good to say about Gorsuch, but his defense of Native sovereignty is really important.
Old 06-15-2023, 10:18 PM   #8123
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

One article I read said it wasn't clear why Gorsuch was such a consistent defender of native rights, but he definitely is consistent.

Alito & Thomas, as usual, just being assholes.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 12:51 AM   #8124
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Shapiro is super sharp. Huge fan
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 05:59 PM   #8125
GrantDawg

When do you think the Biden impeachment happens? There has never been a doubt that it was going to happen if the GOP won the House. I'm just curious what the timing is going to be. This fall? Maybe wait till the primary is in full swing? You think maybe they are hoping to time it hoping that RFK Jr. might actually get significant votes in the primary?

Old 06-16-2023, 07:55 PM   #8126
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Even in this day & age, I suspect there are at least 4 GOP Reps who would consider the whole thing a massive waste of time and have told McCarthy not to indulge in it unless maybe it's a way to get the far right reps on board with something else.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 07:58 PM   #8127
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I don't think it happens. It's something they'll talk about with friendly media but it won't play well with moderates/independents. They have such a narrow margin in the House that it would make those in blue/purple districts highly vulnerable in another year.

Remember that the Dems probably win the House if New York wasn't run by the worst politicians in the country.
Old 06-16-2023, 10:37 PM   #8128
Edward64
Head Coach

I don't know why Blinken is going to China. Seems like a waste of time and sending a wrong message to the coalition we are trying to build in APAC. Just doesn't seem to be the right time, maybe later after Ukraine. And yeah, we should still be PO'd about the spy balloon(s).

Beijing preps sharp, cold shoulder for Blinken visit - POLITICO
Quote:
U.S. officials say Blinken’s agenda will include tensions over Taiwan, unjustly jailed U.S. citizens in China and Beijing’s alignment with Russia’s war on Ukraine. Still “some sort of breakthrough or transformation in the way that we deal with one another” is unlikely

Doesn't seem he'll accomplish much with the Taiwan or Russia-Ukraine. If I was Xi, there's not much the US can say or do to stop me from doing what I want. If it's to China's interest, it'll apply pressure to stop the war or to help Russia. And Xi will only be happy if the US backs away from Taiwan.

Quote:
Blinken will also underscore the objectives of U.S. economic policy toward China. “We are very determined to de-risk…. We’re not about decoupling. We’re not about containing China. We’re not about trying to hold it back economically,” the state department official said.

Sure hope Biden isn't really believing above. De-risk vs decoupling, just an euphemism for a lower degree of the same thing. I guess an argument can be made that we are not trying to contain China economically but Xi sure as heck knows we are trying to contain China militarily.

I'd continue to apply pressure and continue to train/arm Taiwan, Japan, Australia and Philippines. Continue to encourage businesses to leave China and work with India & other APAC countries for the required sourcing, manufacturing etc.
Old 06-16-2023, 11:03 PM   #8129
Edward64
Head Coach

Great, let's get these lawsuits lined up and done.

I really don't know if BMS & Merck have a good case, but prefer to get the lawsuits settled quicker rather than later, and move on.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/16/bris...otiations.html
Quote:
Bristol Myers Squibb on Friday sued the Biden administration over Medicare’s new powers to slash drug prices, the third such lawsuit to be filed against the program in a matter of days.

The lawsuit filed in federal district court in New Jersey argues the Medicare negotiations violate the First and Fifth Amendments of the U.S. Constitution.

Bristol Myers Squibb has asked the court to declare the program unconstitutional and prevent the Health and Human Services Department from forcing the company to enter negotiations.

Bristol Myers Squibb’s arguments mirror those lodged last week by Merck, the first company to sue the federal government over the drug negotiations. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce has also sued HHS over the program with similar arguments.
Old 06-17-2023, 12:29 AM   #8130
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I don't think it happens. It's something they'll talk about with friendly media but it won't play well with moderates/independents. They have such a narrow margin in the House that it would make those in blue/purple districts highly vulnerable in another year.

Remember that the Dems probably win the House if New York wasn't run by the worst politicians in the country.

Especially since the Supreme Court's decision in the VRA case means that the Dems should pick up a few more seats in the next election
Old 06-17-2023, 06:53 AM   #8131
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64
we should still be PO'd about the spy balloon(s).

Why? Is there anyone who reasonably doubts that they aren't constantly doing whatever they can to spy on us ... and that we're not doing the same thing right back?
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 07:07 AM   #8132
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Why? Is there anyone who reasonably doubts that they aren't constantly doing whatever they can to spy on us ... and that we're not doing the same thing right back?

I assume you don't really mean "same thing" as in US spy balloons floating over China but more "similar things" as in satellites, electronic eavesdropping etc.

So yes, both sides are definitely spying. Doesn't mean one can't be PO'd about it. Both sides have the right to be PO'd about it.

And both sides definitely have the right to be very, very PO'd when/if it's a balloon floating over one's landmass (e.g. just like Russia was in shooting down the U2).
Old 06-17-2023, 10:37 AM   #8133
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Especially since the Supreme Court's decision in the VRA case means that the Dems should pick up a few more seats in the next election
Y'all are thinking in common sense strategy. What has anything the MAGA-hats done strike you as common sense? They HAVE to impeach Biden, or at least make a good show of trying. They have to make impeachment a "ho-hum" regular political move because that is exactly what they promised they would do if the Dems impeached Trump. They also never look at the political big picture, they are only concerned about winning the primaries in their heavily gerrymandered districts. If they are not extreme enough, someone more extreme will take them out. They absolutely can't go back to their district and say "we didn't impeach Biden because of political concern in the moderate districts."
Old 06-17-2023, 10:39 AM   #8134
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I assume you don't really mean "same thing" as in US spy balloons floating over China but more "similar things" as in satellites, electronic eavesdropping etc.

So yes, both sides are definitely spying. Doesn't mean one can't be PO'd about it. Both sides have the right to be PO'd about it.

And both sides definitely have the right to be very, very PO'd when/if it's a balloon floating over one's landmass (e.g. just like Russia was in shooting down the U2).
Both sides have to make a show of being pissed, but it really is just business as usual.
Old 06-17-2023, 10:53 AM   #8135
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Both sides have to make a show of being pissed, but it really is just business as usual.

It happens. We've been flying spy planes over our adversaries for decades.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 11:27 AM   #8136
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Y'all are thinking in common sense strategy. What has anything the MAGA-hats done strike you as common sense? They HAVE to impeach Biden, or at least make a good show of trying. They have to make impeachment a "ho-hum" regular political move because that is exactly what they promised they would do if the Dems impeached Trump. They also never look at the political big picture, they are only concerned about winning the primaries in their heavily gerrymandered districts. If they are not extreme enough, someone more extreme will take them out. They absolutely can't go back to their district and say "we didn't impeach Biden because of political concern in the moderate districts."

The thing is, that the moderates are already on the edge of "I'd rather work with centrist Dems then you lot" with what almost happened in the debt ceiling, and they're pissed off that that the MegaMAGA is trying to peel back their victory on the debt ceiling.

Something like "We had this spending thing solved until 2025, so we can focus on other stuff to get us more seats, and you have to pull us back in that mud????"

The moderate republicans are starting to think about "There's more of us then the true crazies, so why do they have all the power?" which is verrrry dangerous to the MAGA heads. If the Moderates manage to get a toe hold in, that could lead to a vicious cycle where they can't push their agenda, which risks them being replaced by even MORE fervent members of the faction, which makes their goal even harder to reach, rinse and repeat.

So, pushing out messaging stuff about gas stoves etcetera? That doesn't bother the moderates much. If I'm going to be cynical, their view is "It won't change anything and it'll make the rubes happy, so, sure. why not" (same with the Obamacare votes when they were out of power).

Doing something like impeachment will play well with their base, but moderates know that its been Trumpist style candidates are the reason they're not firmly in power (on both sides of Congress), so they're less willing to play along. I wouldn't be surprised if enough of them didn't put a bug in McCarthy's ear that "don't let the true believers start it, they won't like how it turns out"...

Something that will give them a bipartisan sheen but not necessarily totally kill themselves with at least some of the most fervent believers. Something like "Do I disagree with Joe Biden? Yes. Do I think he's a Bad President? Yes. Do I think he should be voted out in the next election? Oh, definitely. But does this report reach the threshold of needing impeachment, no.. I don't. If and When the violations of law from the administration are found, let them be thoroughly investigated and punished within the realm of law. Until then, I will spend my time trying to ameliorate the worst impulses of this administration by opposing them with my votes"
Old 06-17-2023, 11:37 AM   #8137
bronconick
College Starter

That might be the warning shot of the Adam Schiff censure being shot down by 20 moderate Republicans last week. If you can't even get that, you're not getting an impeachment through.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 01:28 PM   #8138
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Nah. That isn't how this works.

SCOTUS said "those maps are bad." So they'll go draw other maps that are nearly as bad, get that tied up in litigation, and eventually the courts will go "we can't do anything about this right now because it's too close to an election and will cause voter confusion."

As a result, the existing maps will still be in play in 2024 even though SCOTUS threw them out.

The courts care way more about voter confusion than voter enfranchisement, so the playbook when your gerrymandered maps DO get smacked down is just to just drag it out as long as you can. It's like never having to change at all.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 09:36 AM   #8139
Thomkal
Head Coach

Hunter Biden expected to *GASP* plead guilty to two tax charges and pre-trial diversion for a gun ownership charge. I expect Joe Biden to resign any moment now...

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/joe...rges-rcna90144
Old 06-20-2023, 10:20 AM   #8140
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hunter Brandon’s labtop though
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 10:25 AM   #8141
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yeah Trump says he got off with a "traffic ticket".
Old 06-20-2023, 10:26 AM   #8142
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

and on cue the MAGA bros are freaking because it isn't enough of a punishment and comparing this to Trumps classified docs case, because you know, they are totally the same.
Old 06-20-2023, 11:36 AM   #8143
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Gun charges? Tax evasion?

Hunter Biden just shot up 15% in GOP primary polling\
Old 06-20-2023, 12:36 PM   #8144
HerRealName
College Prospect

I'm going full maga. Biden needs to step away from politics and not run in 2024. Newsome or someone under 60 can replace him.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 12:44 PM   #8145
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yep Republicans/far righters going full-boar on "sweetheart deal". Almost everyone using it.
Old 06-20-2023, 01:47 PM   #8146
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
I'm going full maga. Biden needs to step away from politics and not run in 2024. Newsome or someone under 60 can replace him.
Yes. Uh. Biden is too "damaged." It would be in the best interest of the country if he stepped aside for Mark Kelly or Gretchen Whitmer.
Old 06-20-2023, 02:10 PM   #8147
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Yes. Uh. Biden is too "damaged." It would be in the best interest of the country if he stepped aside for Mark Kelly or Gretchen Whitmer.

Er, think you forgot Kamala.
Old 06-20-2023, 03:02 PM   #8148
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Er, think you forgot Kamala.
Never heard of her.
Old 06-20-2023, 04:26 PM   #8149
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Gun charges? Tax evasion?

Hunter Biden just shot up 15% in GOP primary polling\

Haven't heard many 2A folks being upset about the gun charge which is rarely used and likely unconstitutional.
Old 06-20-2023, 07:46 PM   #8150
GrantDawg

Tomorrow the GOP expects to have enough votes to censure Adam Schiff, and there are also giving a vote to begin impeachment proceedings on President Biden.

Edit: Actually it is a straight vote to impeach. Crazy Colorado lady put in as a privilege vote to force it on the floor.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 06-20-2023 at 07:54 PM.