Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Will the lockout cost the NBA any games?
Yes 57 79.17%
No 11 15.28%
Trout 4 5.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #751
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
In the majority here, agreeing the Clips shouldn't give up Gordon, even if that means they won't land Paul. Kid is the real deal

Gordon is a very promising young player, and he played very well for Team USA too. But I think the Clips should look at the bigger picture too. They have a budding superstar at PF, the likes of which haven't been seen since a young Shawn Kemp, and they now have a chance to acquire their "Gary Payton".

I'm not denying that Gordon isn't going to blossom into a great NBA player because he certainly seems headed down that path, but the Clippers should be looking to build a championship roster IMO, and getting CP3 points them closer to that path than keeping Gordon does.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:18 PM   #752
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Paul would be better then Gordon, but they have Gordon under contract already, don't have to give up other pieces for him... and Paul still has one year on his contract (two if he exercises his option)

Me, I don't trade Gordon, and certainly not without making sure that CP3 will sign a long term deal
Old 12-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #753
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Gordon is a very promising young player, and he played very well for Team USA too. But I think the Clips should look at the bigger picture too. They have a budding superstar at PF, the likes of which haven't been seen since a young Shawn Kemp, and they now have a chance to acquire their "Gary Payton".

I'm not denying that Gordon isn't going to blossom into a great NBA player because he certainly seems headed down that path, but the Clippers should be looking to build a championship roster IMO, and getting CP3 points them closer to that path than keeping Gordon does.

I can understand that reasoning. That Gordon is probably going to be a very good player in the end, but Paul is now a great player. And if it was Paul for Gordon, straight up, that's probably a deal you consider.

But Gordon, Bledsoe, Aminu, Kaman and a likely high lottery pick? Sorry, that's extortion. Good move for the Clips to turn that one down.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #754
Logan
Head Coach

I think if you're guaranteeing yourself two seasons of Paul (him picking up his option, as reported), you have to give up Gordon. LA, playing with Blake, a decent enough supporting cast around him, the ability to sign the larger contract...all things that could convince him to stay. We're not talking about just a few months to convince him.

I do think though that if they are giving up Gordon, the other pieces of the deal should be much less than what is currently offered. Gordon plus Aminu, Bledsoe, and the MIN #1 as the primary assets is too much.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #755
Logan
Head Coach

Looks like we all agree haha.

I agree with something Simmons wrote today...that MIN #1 could be very overrated. Sure it's very likely to be top 5 but if it ends up at 7th or so, you're crazy for trying to hold it back.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #756
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post
But New Orleans is NOT going to have a high pick if they keep CP3 for the year.

I was playing through NBA 2K12 the other day, scrolling down NO's roster and man, not only do they suck, but they have the ugliest collection of white guy pivots ever in the base rosters.

Right now, outside of CP3, it's Trevor Ariza, Emeka Okafor, Patrick Ewing Jnr, Jarrett Jack, and Quincy Poindexter. It's like they just went through an expansion draft.

They are stuck with Okafor's crazy stupid contract and Ariza's pretty bad contract through 2013/14 (assuming Ariza isn't an idiot and leaves his last year on the table), but outside of that they are pretty much an empty cupboard.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:01 PM   #757
whomario
Pro Starter

Was gone for the weekend and while i knew this shortened FA period would be crazy : What the hell ?

I´ve decided to just casually follow this whole thing and then just look up the rosters before the games on christmas.

And yeah, the Hornets have done nothing so far in FA and if this goes like i think it will you´ll see a handfull of min-salary guys added a day or two before the season starts and then there´s that thing where Paul likely will half-ass it and figure this whole thing isn´t worth risking injury (especially since he played most of last season with a bum knee. Again, why does no one mention this ?? )
The Hornets will be baaaaad.

Also : Thank you and good bye Brandon Roy, that´s just sad news as he was one of my favourite players. Hope he can come back in some form in a couple of years, maybe there will be new know-how available to treat his knees.

Last edited by whomario : 12-13-2011 at 05:12 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:44 AM   #758
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Looks like we all agree haha.

I agree with something Simmons wrote today...that MIN #1 could be very overrated. Sure it's very likely to be top 5 but if it ends up at 7th or so, you're crazy for trying to hold it back.
It's a really deep draft though. Even at 7-10 you could be grabbing a Terrence Jones or Bradley Beal. There is a chance that Minnesota won't be as bad as people think. Rubio could be good and they do have some depth that might benefit them in a long season. Still think they are lottery bound, but wouldn't be surprised to see them at 10th or something.

But I agree that the pick is more valuable in theory. The odds of grabbing an All-Star, even in the top 5 aren't a guarantee. I'd much rather take my shot with a proven star like Paul for 2 years (and hope him and Griffin have enough fun they stick around) then grab another young talent in the draft and hope he pans out. The Clippers have the pieces to move forward, but I think those pieces should be used to grab a star now.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:41 AM   #759
Alf
Pro Starter

Fascinating NBA offseason so far
Old 12-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #760
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post

The reason I don't think they would want to move Gordon is because of CP's injury history. He's barely got cartilage in one of his knees. Now I'm not saying it's Brandon Roy level, but it's certainly a concern and last season he was lacking the explosiveness he had in the past. Not saying he still won't be great, I'm just reiterating that it's a legitimate concern moving forward.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #761
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Nene back to the Nuggets.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:35 PM   #762
bronconick
College Starter

Rodney Stuckey turns down a 5 year contract from Detroit.

Jesus in heaven, someone fire Dumars. Thank him for his role in all 3 titles, give him a watch, kick him out and change the locks.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #763
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Nene back to the Nuggets.

Odd. I thought he felt disrespected there.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #764
RedKingGold
College Starter

CP3 to Clippers about to get done.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:04 PM   #765
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

The Clippers are giving up Gordon + the Minnesota #1 next year + (Amin + Kaman for 1 year rental)_? That's crazy - one of the two I can understand, but both?

Last edited by Crapshoot : 12-14-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:04 PM   #766
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

CP3 for Gordon, Kaman, Aminu, and Minny's #1. That's one nice haul for them. Best young SG in the league and a top 10 pick in next year's draft. Along with a SF project with some upside.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:04 PM   #767
RedKingGold
College Starter

Marc Stein (ESPN) reports its Gordon, Kaman, Aminu and Minnesota pick to Hornets for CP3
Old 12-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #768
RedKingGold
College Starter

Hate to say it, but Stern got what he wanted. That haul is way better than the shit sandwich the Lakers were offering.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #769
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Stern is a better GM than most of the current ones in the NBA.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #770
bhlloy
Coordinator

Don't like this trade at all. Gordon is on the verge of stardom and with the pick, it's a huge overpay IMO. Plus with the clipper curse CP3's knees are done for.

Such a Clipper move. Trade everything for a star with bad knees and who may be starting an early decline. I don't see any way this doesn't end in tears

Last edited by bhlloy : 12-14-2011 at 06:18 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #771
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

It's a lot, but that team can compete for the West. Maybe not this year, but definitely next year. I think it's worth the shot. Look what CP3 was able to do last year without a lot of talent.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #772
stevew
Hall Of Famer

In a shortened season, a team with youth like Minnesota might make a run at the 8th seed. Agree that the pick might not be a big deal.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:41 PM   #773
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I can't dislike acquiring Chris Paul. Who can, someone as good as he is.

But I really think the Clips will regret trading away Gordon. I think they gave away way too much, and like bhlloy said, one Paul knee injury and the team is going to struggle.

Who is the SG on this team? Billups, Paul and Mo Williams (and Bledsoe) are not SGs, and do you want Foye to be the SG? He's not really a SG either. There's a lot of quality, but they all play combo guard and below. The team is actually pretty thin at the swing spots now (Butler and Gomes only true options there now). And who backs up DJ at C? Complain if you will about Kaman's other qualities, but he was an offensive mismatch for most centers and was a reliable scorer. Jordan has very little offensive game beyond dunks at this point and there is no one on the roster who can back him up right now.

The Clips better not be done. They need to add two more swingmen, one of whom had better be a starting quality SG, and they need two big men, a vet C and a PF to get their depth back behind Blake and DJ.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #774
RedKingGold
College Starter

In defense of the Clippers, how sure are we that SG Gordon was going to re-sign long-term with them? He's going to be an RFA next year, and unrestricted in 2013.

Perhaps the Clips have/had a better chance to re-sign Paul long-term than Gordon.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #775
Groundhog
Coordinator

Well done to both teams IMO, and how often can you say that.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:48 PM   #776
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
In defense of the Clippers, how sure are we that SG Gordon was going to re-sign long-term with them? He's going to be an RFA next year, and unrestricted in 2013.

Perhaps the Clips have/had a better chance to re-sign Paul long-term than Gordon.

Perhaps. But word around the team seemed to be that Gordon wanted to stay and Olshey came out the other day and said they would be working with Gordon on an extension in the near future (i.e. the weeks ahead).

Old 12-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #777
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Texted my buddy the same thing.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:51 PM   #778
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Who is the SG on this team? Billups, Paul and Mo Williams (and Bledsoe) are not SGs, and do you want Foye to be the SG? He's not really a SG either. There's a lot of quality, but they all play combo guard and below. The team is actually pretty thin at the swing spots now (Butler and Gomes only true options there now). And who backs up DJ at C? Complain if you will about Kaman's other qualities, but he was an offensive mismatch for most centers and was a reliable scorer. Jordan has very little offensive game beyond dunks at this point and there is no one on the roster who can back him up right now.

The Clips better not be done. They need to add two more swingmen, one of whom had better be a starting quality SG, and they need two big men, a vet C and a PF to get their depth back behind Blake and DJ.

Yah, I think they have a pretty amazing core (though it's a shame they can't trade Billups), but they can't be done yet.

IMO what they need now is a perimeter defender at SG (how perfect would Deshawn Stevenson be?) and size on the bench. They have Foye and Mo Williams as trade bait to try and get one of those things, and I assume they have their MLE to get the other?

I'll be watching some Clips games this season, that's for sure.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:06 PM   #779
Groundhog
Coordinator

Not sure if there's any Warriors fans on these boards, but the best player from my local Aussie team is currently on trial with the Warriors, 6'10 Julian Khazzouh. I have mixed feelings because on the one hand it would be great for another Aussie to make it to the NBA, but on the other hand, the Sydney Kings probably wont win another game without him...

He is the best bigman in our guard-orientated national competition, but I'm interested to see how he goes up against NBA-level agile forwards, as most of the guys defending him down here are either shorter than him or far less mobile - guys like Luke Schrenscher who some of you may recall from his brief NBA or Georgia Tech days.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #780
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post

Yeah, I agree there. Someone was going to throw big money at Gordon and I don't know if the Clippers could match. Even if they did, they'd be stuck with a roster that won just over 30 games last year. I think they essentially swap out Gordon for Paul and the team is much better.

I know the knee is an issue, but Paul is really good. He was able to put a nice fight up in the playoffs with a team that had Aaron Gray playing minutes at Center. I think he's worth the risk. Clippers fans are going to be surprised how much better he makes everyone on that team. Deandre Jordan is going to put up some big numbers thanks to him, as well as Blake.

It's a fair trade for both sides. Especially when you consider the Clippers have not been a good FA destination and this is likely the best way to acquire a top 10 talent.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #781
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Yeah I want to see all the hand ringing after this one when all the talking heads were saying "You just can't do any better" than the Lakers shit offer and the Clippers initial medicore offer. Its like there is an unwritten rule that the trade has to happen within five minutes of the media covering it.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #782
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Media just wanted him on the Lakers.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #783
korme
Go Reds

You know... expecting Minnesota to struggle again this year (though with Rubio/Williams, they could be ok), New Orleans to be in the tank... they could walk away with 2 top 5 picks here + Eric Gordon. Potentially a real nice core next season
Old 12-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #784
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

HA! fuck the Lakers!
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #785
korme
Go Reds

As to re: SG, I'm assuming Bledsoe or Mo Williams gets moved for one
Old 12-14-2011, 08:54 PM   #786
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Rip Hamilton officially signs with Bulls. 2/10, option for a third year.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 12-14-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #787
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hmmm. Bonzi Wells is trying to make a comeback. Career earnings of 39 million dollars. Once famously turned down a 5yr/38M deal with the Kings and ended up making 4 million and only spending 2 more years in the NBA. Hope he makes the team, we need guys like Gawen in the league.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:46 PM   #788
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Phil Jackson retires
Lamar Odom traded to Dallas
League nixes the CP3 trade

Now...
Vanessa divorces Kobe
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:28 AM   #789
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
Texted my buddy the same thing.

He should be as he has much more leverage than any GM in the league. While they actually have finances and owners to worry about Stern can pretty much sit on an offer as long as he wants. NBA is in no danger of going bankrupt and Sterns job is safe. Kind of hard to screw up too bad when the owners wont accept an offer that is average or below.

Stern took it upon himself to manipulate the Paul situation. As unfair as it was with the Hornets being in the position they had to get rid of Paul it was equally as unfair having the entire NBA controlling the trade of Paul to any team. The NBA took too much control of that situation. It really wasnt fair at all to the Lakers as it was the rest of the league vs the Lakers. This may have been the first and only time the Lakers were outresourced on a deal.

Lets not make him out to be some hero because the other owners cried about the first deal so he had to make more demands. If you ever played a sim in "god mod" this is basically what happened here. Im glad the Lakers didnt get Paul but Im very unhappy at the shit Stern and his cronies are pulling. Its not fair to the players or the individual teams.

The NBA has too much power to be actively running any team in the league.

With this said if the NBA wants to negotiate in the next CBA that they get to use their power to help out the dysfunctional franchises(mainly the Twolves) Id be all for them using their power to gain an edge.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-17-2011 at 02:27 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #790
whomario
Pro Starter

smiley faces all around
Old 12-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #791
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
If you ever played a sim in "god mod" this is basically what happened here. Im glad the Lakers didnt get Paul but Im very unhappy at the shit Stern and his cronies are pulling. Its not fair to the players or the individual teams.

Finally, a name for the way I've been playing text sims for years. I'm just playing David Stern mode.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #792
whomario
Pro Starter

What is everyones take on the Mavs offseason ? Could this really work again, getting hungry veterans and/or outcasts ?
Obviously loosing Chandler is huge and will simply change their style defensively for the worse, but i get why they didn´t try to retain him having in mind the cap situation next year and beyond.

They are definitely a pretty deep team and if they can somehow be healthy come playoff time ... Hope Carlisle rests some players a bit, rather take a 6th seed and be healthy than try desperately for a great record i figure, especially with the veteran squad and last year´s run in mind.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:40 PM   #793
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post

smiley faces all around

An absolutely brilliant advertisment for future free agents.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #794
Ironhead
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post

smiley faces all around

Kaman looks like a cross between an axe murder and a meth addict.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:16 PM   #795
SackAttack
Head Coach

Never thought the day would come when I'd see players look downright unenthused to have been traded from the Clippers to, oh...anybody else.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:26 PM   #796
Icy
Pro Starter

Not bad debut by Rubio, better than what i expected for his first game fighting against the hype.

24 minutes played as backup, 6 points, 7 assists, 6 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 turnover.

Showing exactly how his game is, nice passing and low scoring, with good rebounding and defense added to the mix. Pretty impressive to get 7 assists with just 1 turnover. Most of his assists would be in the best plays of the day, no look'ers, alley oops, etc.

This was a good sample:
Rookie Connection | NBA.com

Last edited by Icy : 12-17-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #797
stevew
Hall Of Famer

You gotta be pretty excited about the Spanish Olympic team next year. Gasols/Ibaka/Fernandez/Rubio plus some other obvious guys I'm forgetting. The US better bring some size cause the Spanish bigs would shit all over Melo or Bron or Durant if we think we can get by with only Howard or Chandler and one of those guys at the 4.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:48 PM   #798
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
You gotta be pretty excited about the Spanish Olympic team next year. Gasols/Ibaka/Fernandez/Rubio plus some other obvious guys I'm forgetting. The US better bring some size cause the Spanish bigs would shit all over Melo or Bron or Durant if we think we can get by with only Howard or Chandler and one of those guys at the 4.

Yup, you forgot also Navarro that is one of the top scorers in Europe right now after his short stint in the NBA.

I find the Ibaka thing a bit like cheating, even when i love to have him in the team, but i'm against that kind of nationalization in sports, as they get special treatment compared with other "immigrants", it's all about money.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #799
stevew
Hall Of Famer

We played Hakeem way back in the day, so the US can't really complain. Yea, Navarro...couldn't remember his name.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:10 PM   #800
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Scary stuff for Jeff Green. Heart surgery voids his contract, although it may save his life. Certainly a big blow to the Celtics chances.