Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #751
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

1. Really classy interview by Colt McCoy after the game. Showed a lot of character in what was obviously a tough situation for him.

2. So, I hear Ingram's dad is in prison?????? Good lord. Any chance we could get some more shout-outs for the non-felon parents? I get that Ingram still has a relationship with his dad, but did we have to hear about it EVERY TIME HE TOUCHED THE BALL?
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:48 AM   #752
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
????? Good lord. Any chance we could get some more shout-outs for the non-felon parents? I get that Ingram still has a relationship with his dad, but did we have to hear about it EVERY TIME HE TOUCHED THE BALL?

You have to forgive Brent...he's old...and drunk.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #753
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

2. So, I hear Ingram's dad is in prison?????? Good lord. Any chance we could get some more shout-outs for the non-felon parents? I get that Ingram still has a relationship with his dad, but did we have to hear about it EVERY TIME HE TOUCHED THE BALL?

Seriously, that alone irritated me and made me root against Bama. I liked when the announcers after his first td were like "oh yay he scored one for his dad." it's like "HOW ABOUT ONE FOR HIS MOM WHO ISN'T A CONVICTED FELON AND IS ACTUALLY IN THE STANDS TO WATCH HER SON PLAY...WHY CAN'T THIS TD BE FOR HER!?!?!?!"
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:49 AM   #754
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Could have been an interesting scenario w/o a "championship" game though, especially say if 'Bama had 1 loss. Some pollsters might opt to vote for Texas in that case.
I hope they vote Colt McCoy #1 for being such a great QB. His mere presence on the sideline turned that Freshman into a good QB as well as spurred that Texas defense to step up their game.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:55 AM   #755
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Brilliant job wade. You'd think people would realize how stupid they sound when all they do is repeat the same bullshit line as support for whatever ridiculous argument they're trying to make.

I'm glad someone appreciated it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:24 AM   #756
bronconick
College Starter

I read this idea on another board, but I like it. No one really wants congress and the feds getting involved in college football, because it's a stupid unimportant detail given everything else they *should* be working on. But every year, the champion in most major sports gets invited to the White House. So why not invite both Alabama and Boise State? It's a nice little 15 second jab at the stupidity of the whole college football "playoff" system.

Edit: Wetzel came up with the idea a couple days ago on Yahoo, which is where it came from.

Last edited by bronconick : 01-08-2010 at 10:26 AM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:27 AM   #757
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
I read this idea on another board, but I like it. No one really wants congress and the feds getting involved in college football, because it's a stupid unimportant detail given everything else they *should* be working on. But every year, the champion in most major sports gets invited to the White House. So why not invite both Alabama and Boise State? It's a nice little 15 second jab at the stupidity of the whole college football "playoff" system.

Because Boise State isn't anyone's national champion? Unless we're starting to count my computer poll's national championship too. (In which case, let's do it.)

Just being undefeated through BCS season isn't a national title. The BCS is lame, to be sure, but having the President award plastic trophies and patting people on the back to say "good job" seems lame to me, unless the AP wants to name them national champs.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:27 AM   #758
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
So why not invite both Alabama and Boise State?

Umm ... because it would make the WH look even stupider than normal?
Old 01-08-2010, 10:31 AM   #759
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Someone called Texas fans smug? I can name a few teams who have worst fans on this very site alone. Texas would have lost with or without Colt despite Nick Saban's best effort to totally give the game away.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #760
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
My prediction for the game:

It is going to be a close, low scoring game, with Texas winning off of a defensive or special teams score, 24-21.

Well, I had the game pegged up until the 3 minute mark, except that Bama had the defensive score for the lead.

Great comeback by the Horns last night that just fell short.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #761
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Someone called Texas fans smug?

With IMTG gone, don't take this site as representative. Cartman and Senator are downright cool, undoubtedly the best they have.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:10 AM   #762
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Final AP poll is out, Alabama, Texas, Florida, Boise, tOSU are the top five.
TCU, Iowa, Cincy, Va Tech, and Penn State round out the top ten.

Unranked teams before the bowl who finished in the top 25 are Ole Miss, Tx Tech, USC, and Clemson. WVU finished 25th, one point ahead of Oklahoma.

Odd little side note, looks like #24 Clemson is the first five-loss team to be ranked since FSU in 2005.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #763
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo View Post
With IMTG gone, don't take this site as representative. Cartman and Senator are downright cool, undoubtedly the best they have.

Every college football team's fans, in the aggregate, are huge, annoying d-bags.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #764
MJ4H
Coordinator

I guess this is where to post things like this, not sure.

Ryan Mallett is staying in school for next year. Good news for me, anyway. Will become official in about an hour or so at a press conference, and he is scheduled to be on College Football Live 30 minutes later.

edit: Official

Last edited by MJ4H : 01-08-2010 at 01:33 PM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #765
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Demaryius Thomas is officially leaving GT to enter the NFL draft.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:57 PM   #766
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Joe McKnight has decided to enter the NFL draft.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #767
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Congrats to Alabama. Better luck next time to Texas. That's about all I have to say about the national championship. It was never a game that engaged me.

Of course CMU wins by 3 when my line was three... and a half. I cared much more about that.

So the final line is 4-4 overall, -$40; and 0-2 on the bonus bets (-$135).

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
Saban is one hell of a coach!

I could've told you that a dozen years ago when he was coaching in obscurity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
A perfect example of how sideline reporting NEVER has balls in this day and age.

Did they ever? The eye candy doesn't have the brains and the jocks are too far inside. The sideline folks in the XFL asked a few zingers, but it was that sort of league.

Thanks everyone. I'm outta here.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #768
MJ4H
Coordinator

Am I going to hell for laughing?
Colt McCoy and Vince Young exchange letters after the game.... - SEC Score Board - TigerDroppings.com
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:36 PM   #769
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

No surprise, but Damian Williams declared for the draft tonight.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #770
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
I guess this is where to post things like this, not sure.

Ryan Mallett is staying in school for next year. Good news for me, anyway. Will become official in about an hour or so at a press conference, and he is scheduled to be on College Football Live 30 minutes later.

edit: Official

Yay! Smart move for him, TBH.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #771
Swaggs
Coordinator

I will be joining you. I almost made it through, but the "Cote" got me grinning and the E.S.P. put me over the top. I feel bad about it, but I am still laughing.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:58 PM   #772
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Alabama-Texas turned out to be the most watched TV show since the Academy Awards in Feb 09, largest 18-49 audience for a BCS game in history, largest title game household rating since 2006, up 9% over last year.

Pulled a 67.4 rating in Birmingham, a 47.8 in Austin (0.1 higher than the game against USC) .

Roll Tide: BCS Championship Tops In Birmingham With A 67.4 Rating; Austin #2 With A 47.8 Rating - TV Ratings, Nielsen Ratings, Television Show Ratings | TVbytheNumbers.com

“2010 CITI BCS National Championship” Stands as TV’s Most-Watched Telecast In Nearly 1 Year - TV Ratings, Nielsen Ratings, Television Show Ratings | TVbytheNumbers.com
Old 01-09-2010, 12:23 AM   #773
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Alabama-Texas turned out to be the most watched TV show since the Academy Awards in Feb 09, largest 18-49 audience for a BCS game in history, largest title game household rating since 2006, up 9% over last year.

Pulled a 67.4 rating in Birmingham, a 47.8 in Austin (0.1 higher than the game against USC) .

Roll Tide: BCS Championship Tops In Birmingham With A 67.4 Rating; Austin #2 With A 47.8 Rating - TV Ratings, Nielsen Ratings, Television Show Ratings | TVbytheNumbers.com

“2010 CITI BCS National Championship” Stands as TV’s Most-Watched Telecast In Nearly 1 Year - TV Ratings, Nielsen Ratings, Television Show Ratings | TVbytheNumbers.com

Jon, how much of this do you think it was because it was Texas in the game?

And do you know how it did outside of the South/Southeast?

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:22 AM   #774
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Jon, how much of this do you think it was because it was Texas in the game?

And do you know how it did outside of the South/Southeast?

I think it was more likely a combination of the two teams rather than just one or the other. The game was actually slightly lower in Houston & Dallas than the Texas-USC matchup. And other than Atlanta the southeast alone simply doesn't have enough large markets that could overdeliver & account for ratings 18-49 being up to 10.2 over 8.7 for Florida-Oklahoma a year ago.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:57 AM   #775
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

no mention of carol jumping to the seahawks? wonder how bad the violations are.....

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:00 AM   #776
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
no mention of carol jumping to the seahawks? wonder how bad the violations are.....

Try checking the other thread.. has nothing to do with violations and everything to do with being offered 7 million a year and control over the draft and which players he will get. Also, has something to do with Garrett and his frequent clashes that have gotten worse.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #777
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Tommy Tuberville to Texas Tech.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:53 PM   #778
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
USC is one of the biggest programs in college football. The NCAA doesn't punish those schools.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:31 PM   #779
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Tommy Tuberville to Texas Tech.

I think that is a pretty good hire. Tuberville isn't real flashy, but I still don't think that he gets the credit that he deserves for doing a pretty good job at his last two stops. I think he is much better than taking a risk on an up-and-comer coordinator or a retread.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:47 PM   #780
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Jonathan Dwyer, Morgan Burnett, and Derrick Morgan all leave GT to enter the NFL draft.

Renaldo McClain enters from Alabama.
2 more players (DE Dunlop & their C) leave Florida bringing the total to 4 with possible two safety's still to decide
And in the last week, UGA loses LB Rennie Curran & S Reshard Jones

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-11-2010 at 04:48 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #781
Swaggs
Coordinator

Was Dwyer expected to go or was he a surprise?
Old 01-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #782
flounder
High School Varsity

The only real surprise was Burnett. Dwyer is projected to go late 1st round, I think.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:11 PM   #783
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
The only real surprise was Burnett. Dwyer is projected to go late 1st round, I think.

Burnett has a child he needs to support. Hence, his quote in his press conference that he didn't pay as much attention to draft projections.

Coming into the weekend, Dwyer was the most on the fence of the three.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:33 PM   #784
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Trying to decide where to put this, this thread seemed like a decent candidate. The Senior Bowl is this weekend, and Tim Tebow is looking terrible in practices. Here is a link to an article:

Tim Tebow meets his worst career fears in Senior Bowl debut - Dr. Saturday - NCAAF Blog - Yahoo! Sports
Old 01-26-2010, 04:51 PM   #785
Logan
Head Coach

Is this an appropriate time to use "in other news, Lance Bass is gay"?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:39 PM   #786
larrymcg421
Head Coach

"Senior Bowl debut"

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:51 PM   #787
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Anyone heard about the anti-abortion commercial he is doing during the superbowl?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:59 PM   #788
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Anyone heard about the anti-abortion commercial he is doing during the superbowl?

Regardless of whether I agree with his stance, I applaud him for standing up for his beliefs rather than avoiding all controversy.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-26-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:07 PM   #789
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
The script was approved by the NFL so I'm guessing it's going to be rather tame. From what I've read it's just him telling his story. I don't know why anyone would have a problem with that regardless of their views on abortion. I'm just disappointed it's in conjunction with a group of bigots.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #790
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Regardless of whether I agree with his stance, I applaud him for standing up for his beliefs rather than avoiding all controversy.

Not really sure it is a road I want to go down for obvious reasons, but I'm not sure I would classify it a standing up for his beliefs when it is being advertised on a commercial during the Superbowl.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #791
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just to clarify, I have no issues with the commercial or him doing it, just found it interesting.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:49 PM   #792
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not really sure it is a road I want to go down for obvious reasons, but I'm not sure I would classify it a standing up for his beliefs when it is being advertised on a commercial during the Superbowl.

I'd say doing it pro-bono, when the safer route is to avoid it in order to keep the haters a little deeper in the closet at least, counts. By the accounts I've read, he didn't seek out the opportunity, they came to him & asked. Easiest thing in the world, smartest thing economically too, would have been to beg off because he was too busy getting ready for the NFL. Instead he seems to have followed his heart & while I'm adamantly pro-choice, I can understand why he's got a different take based on his backstory.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:36 AM   #793
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

As much as I don't like the Florida Gators...I really want Tebow to succeed. No matter how sick I got about hearing about him, I would've loved for him to play for my team. He wasn't only a great player but a great student, and a great ambassador for the University of Florida. I hope he proves all the naysayers wrong and starts at QB in the NFL.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:05 AM   #794
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
As much as I don't like the Florida Gators...I really want Tebow to succeed. No matter how sick I got about hearing about him, I would've loved for him to play for my team. He wasn't only a great player but a great student, and a great ambassador for the University of Florida. I hope he proves all the naysayers wrong and starts at QB in the NFL.

I totally agree. I have never had an issue with Tebow. Sure, all the constant pre-game and in-game Tebow chatter got annoying, but that's not his fault. I found all those articles yesterday about his struggles in the Senior Bowl practices to be kind of annoying.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 01-27-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:10 AM   #795
Swaggs
Coordinator

I can get on board the Tebow bandwagon, but only if Favre retires. I think the media fellatio on those two, in the same league at the same time, might be too much for me.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #796
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Watching the senior bowl, first thing that jumps out is how much weight Terrance Cody has gained in just a few weeks since the NC game.

Tebow looked back on his first drive. Pike looks good on his first drive. Jacoby Ford looks very fast.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:43 PM   #797
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Watching the senior bowl, first thing that jumps out is how much weight Terrance Cody has gained in just a few weeks since the NC game.

Tebow looked back on his first drive. Pike looks good on his first drive. Jacoby Ford looks very fast.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_PmvsWE1k-7...Kpjpy5BHQ/s400
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:41 PM   #798
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

If Tebow goes in the 1st round, some GM/coach needs to have his sanity evaluated.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:43 PM   #799
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
If Tebow goes in the 1st round, some GM/coach needs to have his sanity evaluated.

Al Davis?
Old 01-30-2010, 06:04 PM   #800
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Somebody is going to get themselves a nice change-up back that can also split out wide as needed when they draft Dexter McCluster.