Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-12-2010, 11:06 PM   #751
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Uh-oh. The Canes are in serious jeopardy of falling out of last place and reducing their odds of getting Taylor Hall. Third win in a row tonight in beating Toronto 4-2. Did it in under 20 shots, no less. Not sure what's up with the shooting, but the team has been struggling mightily to get any shots on goal the last couple of weeks, so this three-game streak is somewhat bizarre all things considered.

The Oilers are doing their best to help them out too. 5-3 loss to Nashville tonight. I think they have 1 win in their last 14 games now...

I don't think they'd draft Hall anyways - I would imagine the Canes would go for Tyler Segin, since he players for the OHL team they own (and therefore can control his development...)
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:09 AM   #752
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

I'm sure the Oilers would jump all over the opportunity to draft Hall or Seguin but I'm guessing we won't have to worry about that because the way things have gone this season we'll likely end up with the 3rd pick overall.

This is my last post in this thread until the title is changed to "The OFFICIAL 2009-10 NHL Off-Season Thread".
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #753
Galaxy
Coordinator

Looking forward to the Sabres start a 7-game, 14 day road trip tomorrow (coast-to-coast). Atlanta, NY Islanders, Phoenix, Anaheim, LA, San Jose, and Vancouver.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:04 PM   #754
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
"Hockey Operations did not have a definitive replay that showed the puck in the net - and weren't aware that one existed - until after they made their ruling," said John Dellapina, another NHL spokesman. "Once the puck dropped, their ruling became permanent.

This is good evidence of how I haven't been following hockey enough this year: Dellapina used to be a Rangers beat writer and I had no idea he left the Daily News.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:08 AM   #755
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Went to the Ducks-Bruins game tonight. Very exciting and fun game to watch. Hiller made some amazing shots (and one of the goals he allowed was pretty much impossible to stop; late and close inadvertent pass deflection type).

The Ducks keep winning. Hopefully they keep it up. Huge game Thursday night on the "road" at Staple Center against the Kings--currently in the 8th playoff spot.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:31 AM   #756
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Well, sonofab...

I knew Teemu went down to a shot to the face, and was worried, but I figured his face just got messed up, get him to a dentist, make sure he doesn't have a concussion and get him back going again.

Unfortunately, he actually broke his jaw and will be out 4-6 weeks.

We just got him back, too, last Saturday. Now I am wondering if he will be able to play in the Olympics. Man, he has been waiting so long for that...

Get better, Teemu.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #757
Galaxy
Coordinator

The crowd (or lack of one) in Atlanta are just brutal to see and hear on TV.

And how many uniforms does Atlanta have?

Last edited by Galaxy : 01-14-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #758
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Well, sonofab...

I knew Teemu went down to a shot to the face, and was worried, but I figured his face just got messed up, get him to a dentist, make sure he doesn't have a concussion and get him back going again.

Unfortunately, he actually broke his jaw and will be out 4-6 weeks.

We just got him back, too, last Saturday. Now I am wondering if he will be able to play in the Olympics. Man, he has been waiting so long for that...

Get better, Teemu.

I knew from the way he was writhing around that something in his face was broken. I just hoped it wasn't anything near his eyes. Hockey players are too tough to roll around like that if it's just a couple of teeth.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:37 PM   #759
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Instigating KHL Hockey Brawl Costs Russian Team -- NHL FanHouse

From a few days ago, a massive KHL bench clearer that ended the game in a forfeit and cost the instigating team 4 million rubles.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:19 AM   #760
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Only in the NHL do you get this kind of stuff-

Penguins Sign Pechurski to One-Game Try Out - Pittsburgh Penguins - News

Quote:
The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed goaltender Alexander Pechurski from Tri-City of the Western Hockey League to a one-game amateur try out, it was announced by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero.

Pechurski, who was drafted by Pittsburgh in the fifth round (150th overall) of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, will return to Tri-City following the Penguins’ Saturday game against the Vancouver Canucks.

Pechurski, 19, has appeared in six contests for the Americans this season, posting a 4-1-1 record with a 1.84 goals-against average, .936 save percentage and two shutouts.

The Magnitogorsk, Russia native played two seasons in the Under-18 World Championships for Russia. In five contests in 2007-08, Pechurski (6-foot, 187 pounds) recorded a 4-1 mark with a 3.06 goals-against average.

Fleury broke a finger against Edmonton the other night. Brent Johnson out with an undisclosed injury. John Curry up from Wilkes-Barre...and promptly gives up 5 goals in about 1/2 a game vs the Canucks.

So, in comes Pechurski...er, should be Pechersky, as it was mentioned during the broadcast that he said in pre-game interviews (thru RW turned translator Ruslan Fedotenko, since the kid speaks zero English) that it should be spelled with a Y. Also, he wore #40 last night, which would be the number of Curry's AHL backup Brad Thiessen (Pens declined to bring Thiessen across the country for 1 game, also the Baby Pens played Friday night). Pechurski/y typically wears #70. Pens equipment guys ordered 2 #70 jerseys for overnight delivery (I am guessing something like NHLshop.com ?) but those got held up in customs. Also, he had to use MAF's pads, the one's he uses in the WHL are considered illegal for NHL play.

He gave up 1 goal in about 30 mins of work...and gets named #3 star of the game. Good shit.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 01-17-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:04 PM   #761
bhlloy
Coordinator

That's a great story. I was looking at the Pens box score last night and wondering who the hell either of those 2 goalies were.

Those are some pretty good numbers in juniors and obviously he did well last night. Sounds like they might want to keep him up over Curry and he might have just turned himself into a decent prospect for the future.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #762
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Blackhawks and Red Wings were fun to watch today. Go Blackhawks.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:18 PM   #763
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
That's a great story. I was looking at the Pens box score last night and wondering who the hell either of those 2 goalies were.

Those are some pretty good numbers in juniors and obviously he did well last night. Sounds like they might want to keep him up over Curry and he might have just turned himself into a decent prospect for the future.

I loved Johnny Curry @ BU, but never thought his game would translate to success in the NHL. Unfortunate, he's an awesome guy.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:25 PM   #764
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Interesting story today how the Pistons and Red Wings may build a new downtown stadium to share:

Quote:
Red Wings, Pistons could build, share new downtown arena
Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

Detroit -- It is possible, perhaps even likely, that within this decade the Red Wings and Pistons will partner to build and share a sports arena in downtown Detroit, sources told The Detroit News.

Mike and Marian Ilitch, owners of the Red Wings, have not renewed their lease at Joe Louis Arena beyond this season, and face more than $10 million in structural repair at the dilapidated arena this summer if the team is to play there next season.

Going back to the Joe, it seems, is a last resort. So the Ilitches have been looking for a temporary home while they sort out, if, when, where and how they might build a new arena in downtown Detroit.

Advertisement

The Wings and Palace Sports and Entertainment, overseers of The Palace, have been working on a lease agreement for over a year. The Ilitches toured The Palace in December 2008. The Palace submitted a five-year lease offer to the Ilitches, who made a counteroffer -- presumably for fewer years.

The Palace is still sitting on that counteroffer.

It might make more sense for the Wings to work a lease deal with Ford Field. If the Wings rented Ford Field, the Ilitches could keep all the ancillary revenue from their games in the city. However, there has not been talk between the parties to discuss that option.

Still, to move the Red Wings to North Oakland County could be risky. The core fan base is still Metro Detroit and Downriver. The Wings would rope in more corporate money by moving to The Palace, but would lose the Hockeytown atmosphere.

In the meantime, Pistons owner Karen Davidson seriously is considering selling the Pistons and Palace Sports and Entertainment. She already has had a conversation with NBA commissioner David Stern on the process and protocol for attracting potential buyers. Once she sells, there would be nothing keeping the Pistons tethered to The Palace.

There also has been a lot of chatter about the Ilitches making an offer to buy the Pistons and Palace Sports and Entertainment. They may have thought about it, but according to sources, Mike Ilitch is not a fan of the NBA. While he might be interested in The Palace, he has no interest in buying the Pistons.

So, in the end, it makes sense for the Pistons and Wings to partner for two critical reasons:

• In addition to the Wings needing a new home, the long-term plan at Palace Sports and Entertainment has been to build a new arena before 2020.

• With both organizations needing arenas in this economically-bereft region, it's hard to imagine either being able to raise the money alone any time soon.

Moving the Pistons back downtown -- something that has been debated for years and always rejected by the late Bill Davidson -- would create a huge buzz.

And The Palace still would be viable as a concert and entertainment venue.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:30 PM   #765
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Only in the NHL do you get this kind of stuff-

Penguins Sign Pechurski to One-Game Try Out - Pittsburgh Penguins - News

Fleury broke a finger against Edmonton the other night. Brent Johnson out with an undisclosed injury. John Curry up from Wilkes-Barre...and promptly gives up 5 goals in about 1/2 a game vs the Canucks.

So, in comes Pechurski...er, should be Pechersky, as it was mentioned during the broadcast that he said in pre-game interviews (thru RW turned translator Ruslan Fedotenko, since the kid speaks zero English) that it should be spelled with a Y. Also, he wore #40 last night, which would be the number of Curry's AHL backup Brad Thiessen (Pens declined to bring Thiessen across the country for 1 game, also the Baby Pens played Friday night). Pechurski/y typically wears #70. Pens equipment guys ordered 2 #70 jerseys for overnight delivery (I am guessing something like NHLshop.com ?) but those got held up in customs. Also, he had to use MAF's pads, the one's he uses in the WHL are considered illegal for NHL play.

He gave up 1 goal in about 30 mins of work...and gets named #3 star of the game. Good shit.

Wait, so he signed a "one game amateur tryout" contract, but he played in an NHL game? That confuses me.

Still, good story.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:40 PM   #766
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Wait, so he signed a "one game amateur tryout" contract, but he played in an NHL game? That confuses me.

Still, good story.
From what I've read, he didn't get paid. If that's true, that sounds amateur to me.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:44 PM   #767
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
From what I've read, he didn't get paid. If that's true, that sounds amateur to me.

Yeah, but how is that legal, to play in the freakin' NHL on a tryout contract? Legal with respect to the CBA, I mean, and the league min pay rules and what not (obviously, there is no law against an amateur contract).

Old 01-17-2010, 02:52 PM   #768
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Yeah, but how is that legal, to play in the freakin' NHL on a tryout contract? Legal with respect to the CBA, I mean, and the league min pay rules and what not (obviously, there is no law against an amateur contract).
I don't know the CBA at all, but there's got to be some type of concession for an emergency goaltender. Now, I realize the ECHL is a different league, but I've attended ECHL games where the starting goalie was signed off the street the same afternoon because of an emergency.

Sorry, I might not even be addressing your point. I guess I just don't understand what's so strange about the situation.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #769
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't know the CBA at all, but there's got to be some type of concession for an emergency goaltender. Now, I realize the ECHL is a different league, but I've attended ECHL games where the starting goalie was signed off the street the same afternoon because of an emergency.

Sorry, I might not even be addressing your point. I guess I just don't understand what's so strange about the situation.

But they were paid, ya know? Getting an emergency goalie is definitely something we're all familiar with. But sticking an amateur in there, in a game in the highest professional league in the world and not paying him? That's not how this stuff normally works. I have only heard that practice in soccer, and even then, such players aren't allowed to play in games that count, just exhibitions.

So since I have never seen this before, I am curious under exactly what sort of situation this is here. Even that locker room attendant or whatever that served as the Caps backup goalies for a game a couple years ago was at least getting paid (if not as a backup goalie, certainly as a locker room attendant).

Old 01-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #770
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Justin Abdelkader actually did this for the Wings:

From Wiki -

On April 3, 2008, Abdelkader signed a one-game amateur tryout with the Detroit Red Wings of the National Hockey League and was to play that night against the Columbus Blue Jackets. In doing so, he forfeited his college eligibility for the 2008–09 season. The following day, Abdelkader signed a three-year contract with the Detroit Red Wings.[1]

Also, if this kid was in the WHL, he gets paid so he doesn't have amateur status anyway.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #771
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola,

What I meant to say is people in the WHL lose amateur status as far as college goes as they are paid to play. It's not a lot but they do get paid. That said, I believe the rule is you can play 8 or 9 NHL games without losing Junior status.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:10 PM   #772
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Justin Abdelkader actually did this for the Wings:

From Wiki -

On April 3, 2008, Abdelkader signed a one-game amateur tryout with the Detroit Red Wings of the National Hockey League and was to play that night against the Columbus Blue Jackets. In doing so, he forfeited his college eligibility for the 2008–09 season. The following day, Abdelkader signed a three-year contract with the Detroit Red Wings.[1]

Also, if this kid was in the WHL, he gets paid so he doesn't have amateur status anyway.

My confusion is not about Pechersky's status as an amateur. It's about the type of contract and him being allowed to play in a regular season NHL game on it.

I am suspecting we're lacking some information here. We may be assuming that "amateur" means "he doesn't get paid", when it actually means something else, some special type of one-game exemption the NHL allows in emergency situations, where the player is paid the league minimum for one game. The "amateur" could simply be a reference to the player in question not being a past NHL professional or attached to any other NHL team as a prospect.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #773
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
But they were paid, ya know? Getting an emergency goalie is definitely something we're all familiar with. But sticking an amateur in there, in a game in the highest professional league in the world and not paying him? That's not how this stuff normally works. I have only heard that practice in soccer, and even then, such players aren't allowed to play in games that count, just exhibitions.

So since I have never seen this before, I am curious under exactly what sort of situation this is here. Even that locker room attendant or whatever that served as the Caps backup goalies for a game a couple years ago was at least getting paid (if not as a backup goalie, certainly as a locker room attendant).
OK, I just looked it up. Exhibit 17 of the CBA is a one-day amateur tryout contract. Its sole purpose is to allow a player to suit up as an NHL player for one day without compensation.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #774
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Also, in the case of Abby, they signed him to that amateur deal for one game when we were up against the cap and needed a player (it was near the end of the season and they didn't want to rush back guys who were healing for the playoffs)

Had he signed a deal it would have put us over the cap, but the amateur deal stopped that. He had just finished his season with MSU and was going to sign regardless, so they just used a loophole to get him in under the cap for a game.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #775
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
OK, I just looked it up. Exhibit 17 of the CBA is a one-day amateur tryout contract. Its sole purpose is to allow a player to suit up as an NHL player for one day without compensation.

Huh...well, that's the first I have ever heard of that being allowed by any pro league. Thanks for looking that up, Pumpy.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #776
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
My confusion is not about Pechersky's status as an amateur. It's about the type of contract and him being allowed to play in a regular season NHL game on it.

I am suspecting we're lacking some information here. We may be assuming that "amateur" means "he doesn't get paid", when it actually means something else, some special type of one-game exemption the NHL allows in emergency situations, where the player is paid the league minimum for one game. The "amateur" could simply be a reference to the player in question not being a past NHL professional or attached to any other NHL team as a prospect.

Yeah they do not get paid for it. It's just a way to get around the cap for a game.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:15 PM   #777
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

In any case, Pechersky is attached to the Penguins because they drafted him. He hasn't signed an NHL entry-level contract yet, but Pittsburgh has his NHL rights. I don't think any other NHL team could sign him to a tryout agreement.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #778
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In any case, Pechersky is attached to the Penguins because they drafted him. He hasn't signed an NHL entry-level contract yet, but Pittsburgh has his NHL rights. I don't think any other NHL team could sign him to a tryout agreement.

Yeah, I didn't know that about Pechersky, but assumed it, based on DeTox's example with Abdelkader, since Abdelkader was an unsigned Wings prospect at the time.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:22 PM   #779
Logan
Head Coach

A heads up for any gamblers out there: I'm heading to the Rangers-Canadiens game in a bit. The last 7 games I've been to, the Rangers have lost. Hammer the Habs and give me a cut.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:24 PM   #780
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

To keep him up, they would need to sign him to a longer term deal. And, Curry won't be up much longer either. Johnson is ready to come off IR, and Fleury probably could have played- he broke his finger in the Calgary game, still started the Edmonton game, finishing and winning both of those.

Curry was seen as pretty much being handed the backup job in the late summer, until Johnson took a bargain deal ($550K) to backup Fleury, and has been really good.

Quote:

Still, good story.

Quote:

I don't think it's any different than a guy getting a try-out deal in September. Yes, those are preseason games, but they aren't being paid while playing an NHL game.

Also happened, strangely enough, for Vancouver againt Pittsburgh in 2003. Chris Levesque was playing for the Univ of BC in 2003 at the time, and a similar situation where Canucks were at home, but the Manitoba Moose were on the east coast. Dan Cloutier was injured, Johan Hedberg was to start, but there was no backup. Levesque shows up, sits on the bench for 60 mins, and gets to tell his grandchildren a great story.

In Levesque's case, he couldn't accept payment and still be eligible at UBC. Pechursky would be able to accept payment, but I guess all try-out deals are structured the same way.

One great point of the game, about 7 mins left, Darcy Hordichuk runs over Pechursky. Eric Godard ragdolls Hordichuk off Pechursky and just unloads to the back of Hordichuks head while he's done on the ice. Yeah, he got tossed, PP for Vancouver (game long since decided). But Godard won over a bunch of guys in that locker room and in Pittsburgh in general. If he'll do that for a guy who chances are he'll never play another shift with, he'll sure as hell protect Crosby/Malkin.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:25 PM   #781
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
One great point of the game, about 7 mins left, Darcy Hordichuk runs over Pechursky. Eric Godard ragdolls Hordichuk off Pechursky and just unloads to the back of Hordichuks head while he's done on the ice. Yeah, he got tossed, PP for Vancouver (game long since decided). But Godard won over a bunch of guys in that locker room and in Pittsburgh in general. If he'll do that for a guy who chances are he'll never play another shift with, he'll sure as hell protect Crosby/Malkin.
I think Godard just wanted to punch somebody. He shoved Hordichuk into Pechersky. Still, I 100% agree with your last sentence.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:26 PM   #782
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

This

In the example above, the Levesque guy was undrafted and playing in college, free to sign with any team.

Also of note, he was playing for the same team (Magnitogorsk) in Russia than Malkin played for, prior to coming to NA to play.

Makes me wonder why Fedotenko translated and not Malkin....lazy Russian.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:23 PM   #783
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Absurd shootout goal from Dats today:

Old 01-17-2010, 10:04 PM   #784
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

That and the Bertuzzi effort on the third shot were tremendous plays. While I'm no fan of the Wings, it's unfortunate those two efforts were spoiled in the SO loss.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:52 PM   #785
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Tonight is an example of why the league still has a long way to go.

Kobe vs LeBron is on ESPN tonight.

Crosby vs Ovechkin is on...well, for me, FSN Pittsburgh, and I think maybe NHL Network nationally.

Can't wait though. Malkin with the HT vs the Isles the other night (hopefully his slump buster) and Sid with a ridiculous 6 point game.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:01 PM   #786
Galaxy
Coordinator

Sabres come off a wild game against the Ducks by playing the Kings tonight and continue its west coast swing.

Last edited by Galaxy : 01-21-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:20 PM   #787
Logan
Head Coach

After scoring once over the prior 10 periods, the Rangers have scored 14 goals over the next 5.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #788
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
After scoring once over the prior 10 periods, the Rangers have scored 14 goals over the next 8.

Fixed
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #789
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

It was fun seeing Hartnell make VERY quick work of Avery.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #790
Logan
Head Coach

Haha. At least I enjoyed it while it lasted.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:51 PM   #791
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Big shootout win for the Wings tonight. So glad we picked up Drew Miller off waivers. He is earning himself a contract with the team, I hope Kenny pulls the trigger on it.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:17 PM   #792
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Big shootout win for the Wings tonight. So glad we picked up Drew Miller off waivers. He is earning himself a contract with the team, I hope Kenny pulls the trigger on it.

Since you can't have Ryan, you could at least have his brother.

BTW, the Kings announcers suck. Talk about boring.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:21 PM   #793
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Fuck LA Kings GM Dean Lombardi. He comes out with this direct assault on Michigan coach Red Berenson (Keep in mind Lombardi is from Boston):

Quote:
During a recent interview, Kings President/General Manager Dean Lombardi explained that Johnson is learning his craft…belatedly.

“This guy has never had any coaching [at the University of Michigan],” Lombardi said. “Jack just did what he wanted.”

“Michigan is the worst.” Lombardi added. “For hockey people, if you’ve got a choice between a kid—all things being equal—one’s going to Michigan and one’s going to Boston University, you all want your player [going to Boston University]. Michigan’s players—[head coach] Red [Berenson] doesn’t coach. It’s ‘do what you want.’ He gets the best players in the country.”

During his two seasons at the University of Michigan, Johnson played as a rover, rather than as a defenseman, even though that was his official position.

Well, Jack Johnson fired back today:

Quote:
"I'm a Michigan man. I'm very proud of it. I wouldn't want to have it any other way," Johnson said after the Kings' 4-3 shootout victory over the Buffalo Sabres at Staples Center.

"Michigan has produced more NHL players than any other school. Even the U.S. development program, people rip that and they just don't know anything about it and don't know what they're talking about."

Berenson, Johnson said, "is one of the finest coaches and men that I've met. For my general manager to rip me as a person and criticize me as a person and as a player and call me an awful hockey player is irresponsible and unprofessional."

Lombardi is a fucking mockery.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #794
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Fuck LA Kings GM Dean Lombardi. He comes out with this direct assault on Michigan coach Red Berenson (Keep in mind Lombardi is from Boston):

Well, Jack Johnson fired back today:

Lombardi is a fucking mockery.

Does this mean that Johnson is on his way out of LA? I don't see how you can say this shit about a guy and keep him on your team.

I would also expect Berenson to not say a word, as is his style. Let Lombardi look like the asshat that he is....
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #795
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Video: John Tortorella vs Larry Brooks – Part 2 | 5-hole.com
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #796
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I saw this last night. Tortorella makes me laugh. And Larry Brooks is really a homely man.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:13 PM   #797
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I love the look Brooks shoots some other reporter who laughs at him.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #798
Logan
Head Coach

Redden getting in that fight was probably the first and last time he's ever been cheered in the Garden.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:19 PM   #799
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Tortorella makes me laugh. And Larry Brooks is really a homely man.

This.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #800
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Well this is surprising. Without checking can you guess who number four is?

Quote:
the top-five players in the League in terms of goals scored per sixty minutes of five-on-five time (minimum 30 games played):

1. Alex Ovechkin (2.06)
2. Sidney Crosby (1.89)
3. Ilya Kovalchuk (1.75)
4. ????
5. Patrick Marleau (1.71)