Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-04-2008, 08:49 AM   #751
Kodos
Resident Alien

Patriots fans can justify pretty much any crappy behavior by Balichuk.

Tom Brady --> class
Junior Seau --> class
Wes Welker --> class

Bellyache --> classless asshat who deserves no respect
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:51 AM   #752
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
On more than one occasion this year, Bill Belichick and the Patriots have run up the score on an overmatched opponent, and forced an opposing coach to sit there and watch his beaten team go through the motions while their heineys were being handed to them.

But when the shoe's on the other foot, and Bill Belichick's team has been beaten, he can't sit there and take the pain for a few seconds.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/nfl...?urn=nfl,64971
Old 02-04-2008, 08:54 AM   #753
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I think you've officially crossed over into "let's stop talking about the Patriots" territory.

Pretty much. It's all a bunch of nonsense anyway. Exists just to fleece money from the public overall. Why anyone cares, or cares to the degree they do, is truly amazing.

I'm taking up knitting or something.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:55 AM   #754
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think you've officially crossed over into "let's stop talking about the Patriots" territory.

If you can't take the flack that you will get afterwards...don't talk shit before the game.

It was said before Foz and the other Pats fans have dealt well with everything, probably much better than I would have.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:56 AM   #755
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I understand why people are getting all over Belichick's case for leaving the field early, he shouldn't have done that.. but why is everyone making a huge deal about that when there is even better fodder available?

I am suprised at how few people are even discussing his decision that could have lost the game for them. Deciding to not go for the FG on the 4th and 13, was the difference in score. Granted that it was a long FG attempt that was not a give-me, but it was in a dome which should help.

Coaches are ridiculed all the time for things like going for 2 when they shouldn't, here you have who many consider the smartest NFL head coach make what seems to be a pretty bad blunder.

I guess it doesn't make sense to me that everyone is making a big deal over something we already knew... Belichick isn't a people person, he isn't going to be on many people's Christmas lists, he doesn't appear to care for much further than winning.. the whole discussion about leaving the field early isn't even a big deal to me.. I am not suprised at all about it.. The poor decision on his part that could have cost his team so much however is a big deal to me, and no one is talking about it.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:57 AM   #756
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Ummm... not to toot my own horn here, but for you guys mentioning Mike Carey here... uhh... I don't exactly know how to say this, but...

Well, that wasn't Mike Carey. That was me.
Best two mustaches of this century: Pumpy Tudors and Mike Carey
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:57 AM   #757
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yeah, that was bad on Belicheck's part. What a douchebag. Nice that he shook Coughlin's hand, but get back on the sidelines with 1 second left.

I do think it's kind of dumb that they had to clear everyone off to finish the last second. There should be some kind of rule where both coaches can agree to forget the last couple of seconds in a situation like this.

Must be a very happy time in the Manning household. Amazing that both brothers won back-to-back Super Bowls. I can't help to think how Eli's fantasy season goes next year though. He'll definitely be ranked highly, but will he continue his hot play?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:58 AM   #758
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
If you can't take the flack that you will get afterwards...don't talk shit before the game.

It was said before Foz and the other Pats fans have dealt well with everything, probably much better than I would have.

well thank you sir.

i'm returning to not looking at this thread again though, because some of the things people are saying are making me want to put half the board on ignore and like rkmsuf said, it's just a game, no reason to care that much.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:58 AM   #759
Kodos
Resident Alien

I love the quote from earlier in the thread where Brady was incredulous that Plaxico had predicted the Pats would only score 17 points. Oops. You didn't even get to 17, much less the 42 you suggested, my friend.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:01 AM   #760
MikeVic
Head Coach

I forget where I read in the thread about the commentators saying the Giants should have punted with around 2 minutes left. I couldn't believe I heard that either. One of the friends I was watching with also wanted them to punt, citing their three timeouts left. I thought it was obvious they had to go for it.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:02 AM   #761
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I understand why people are getting all over Belichick's case for leaving the field early, he shouldn't have done that.. but why is everyone making a huge deal about that when there is even better fodder available?

I am suprised at how few people are even discussing his decision that could have lost the game for them. Deciding to not go for the FG on the 4th and 13, was the difference in score. Granted that it was a long FG attempt that was not a give-me, but it was in a dome which should help.

Coaches are ridiculed all the time for things like going for 2 when they shouldn't, here you have who many consider the smartest NFL head coach make what seems to be a pretty bad blunder.

I guess it doesn't make sense to me that everyone is making a big deal over something we already knew... Belichick isn't a people person, he isn't going to be on many people's Christmas lists, he doesn't appear to care for much further than winning.. the whole discussion about leaving the field early isn't even a big deal to me.. I am not suprised at all about it.. The poor decision on his part that could have cost his team so much however is a big deal to me, and no one is talking about it.

Maybe if he hadn't let Vinatieri go he'd have kicked it. Actually, I think his attitude was more like "They can't stop us. We're the mother effin' Patriots and I'm a coaching God!"
Old 02-04-2008, 09:02 AM   #762
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I forget where I read in the thread about the commentators saying the Giants should have punted with around 2 minutes left. I couldn't believe I heard that either. One of the friends I was watching with also wanted them to punt, citing their three timeouts left. I thought it was obvious they had to go for it.

Yeah, there was no choice there. You go for it no matter what.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:03 AM   #763
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
Pretty much. It's all a bunch of nonsense anyway. Exists just to fleece money from the public overall. Why anyone cares, or cares to the degree they do, is truly amazing.

I'm taking up knitting or something.
WELL AREN'T YOU THE NEW CURMUDGEON
Old 02-04-2008, 09:04 AM   #764
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Here is an interesting stat..

The University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale AZ has been the home of two of the biggest upsets in football the past two years...One being last night's Super Bowl, the other one being the Boise State upset over Oklahoma. The endzone where Plaxico caught the winning TD pass was the same one where the infamous Statue of Liberty play happened. Not bad for a Stadium which is only a few years old.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:05 AM   #765
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
well thank you sir.

i'm returning to not looking at this thread again though, because some of the things people are saying are making me want to put half the board on ignore and like rkmsuf said, it's just a game, no reason to care that much.

it's to be expected but just makes you realize what nonsense it all it
Old 02-04-2008, 09:05 AM   #766
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
Here is an interesting stat..

The University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale AZ has been the home of two of the biggest upsets in football the past two years...One being last night's Super Bowl, the other one being the Boise State upset over Oklahoma. The endzone where Plaxico caught the winning TD pass was the same one where the infamous Statue of Liberty play happened. Not bad for a Stadium which is only a few years old.

And named for a school that doesn't have an athletic program.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:06 AM   #767
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
it's to be expected but just makes you realize what nonsense it all it

Wah wah.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:06 AM   #768
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
WELL AREN'T YOU THE NEW CURMUDGEON

it's a complete waste of time. even if the pats won...bfd. half the players could care less in the first place.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #769
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Wah wah.

apathy, not crying.

pats should have and would have lost to the chargers if the bolts were healthy
Old 02-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #770
MikeVic
Head Coach

Did anyone else get feeds of Marv Albert?? One of the sports stations' highlight package had a distinct Marv Albert-sounding voice, but I don't know where that's from.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:08 AM   #771
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
apathy, not crying.

pats should have and would have lost to the chargers if the bolts were healthy

And the Steelers. Weeee.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:08 AM   #772
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Damn... This one hurts bad. Maybe the toughest loss I have ever experienced as a fan.

Congratulations to the Giants. That defensive performance was unbelievable. One thing I kept noticing was how well the Giants were tackling. Just sound fundamental tackling. The unrelenting pass rush goes without saying. The defensive front 4 should been awarded the MVP. They won that game.

The Pats offense simply had no answer to the Giants pass rush. Even screens we not working. I really wonder if Brady's ankle was really fine. He just didn't play like he normally does. Maybe it was getting hit on every play but generally plays much better than that even in the face of pressure.

I woke up twice last night thinking about having Manning in the grasp of like 4Patriots on that final drive. The Pats make that sack and I am probably buying a T-shirt today. What a catch by Tyree. Wow.

No one can say the Giants don't deserve this one. They went to Tampa and won. They went to Dallas and beat a very good Cowboys team. Then went to Green Bay and beat a very good Packers team. Then beat an undefeated team without an obvious weakness in the Super Bowl.

Enjoy it Giants fans.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:13 AM   #773
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

When the drive started, I remember telling my son that from then on until the end, they were entering "four down territory" and he candidly asked me "why, they're not allowed to punt anymore?" and I explain how they'd simply give the game away if they punted. Then, 30 seconds later we have the clowns in the booth go and say they might punt if the fourth down try was too long...

Funny story from around here at work. A Giants fan coworker of mine went to watch the game at his regular sports bar. They gave away two replica jerseys, one of Eli Manning and one of Tom Brady. First winner picked the Manning one. He won the other and was stuck with a Brady jersey...

FM
Old 02-04-2008, 09:15 AM   #774
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Ah, there is a God out there.

Down goes that undefeated nonsense.

I actually drive 45 minutes to drink the champagne with my Dad last night. Would've driven 45 hours if I had to. Friggin unbelievable.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:29 AM   #775
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Wah wah.

You have access to FOFC from the joint?

oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:31 AM   #776
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

The decision was fine. Just because most coaching staffs dont have the balls to correctly employ any sort of risk/reward strategy when it comes to something like that doesn't mean it was a bad decision.

- The attempt would have been farther than any FG the kicker made that season
- A missed field goal would mean giving the Giants the ball at their own 38
- A punt would have likely given them a negligible gain in field position (likely a touchback and net gain of 11 yards)
-Turning it over at that spot (the 31) is really no big deal

That is the recipe for going for it. The Pats have done crap like that all season, and it's the sort of thing more coaches need to have the balls to do. When you go for it your results basically end up:

- Incomplete, which is still better than a missed FG
- You gain some yards, but not enough... which is essentially a partial punt, since you likely would have only picked up 11 yards form the punt
- You get the first down and retain posession

Obviously to Bellicheck and co, going for it was a better option than kicking a long FG.

I don't see a single issue with it.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:32 AM   #777
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib View Post
You have access to FOFC from the joint?

Yes, I've been good so they give me the community internet access.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:36 AM   #778
molson
General Manager

What a weird comparison.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:36 AM   #779
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
To cthomer, nice place to drop a Rush Hour reference.

cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:39 AM   #780
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post

I don't see a single issue with it.

I didnt really either. What I did find odd is that they were willing to go for it on 4th & 13 at the 31, but not 4th & 2 at the ~35(or pretty close) when the Giants gave them a free first down with their 12 man penalty.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:56 AM   #781
Butter
Coordinator

What a great game.

Not sure how you can NOT find anything wrong with trying to kick a field goal at the 31 on 4th and 13. If anyone would like to compare the percentages of such a play, I'd be willing to bet that 4th and 10+ conversions are a much worse bet than the average 40-49 FG % of most NFL kickers. Just not a very smart play at all by Belichick.

And I would like to echo Kodos' comment about un-classy Belichick. Brady was great in the post-game. Most of the Pats players were great and did not appear to harbor any sourness about the loss at all. I was just glad to see that Belichick did not win the mantle of having an undefeated team, and that despite being told directly by the referee that there was time left in the game, he ignored him and headed for the exit.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:00 AM   #782
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
- A punt would have likely given them a negligible gain in field position (likely a touchback and net gain of 11 yards)

This points out the poor state of punters in the game right now. I remember growing up when the punter would come out and do the old Coffin Corner and pin the other guys inside the 10.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:12 AM   #783
Jas_lov
College Starter

The Patriots kicker has never made a 48+ yarder this season? That decision should be much more scrutinized than him going off the field early. Everyone thought the game was over. I did, he did, the teams did. The real crime is that they actually made them take that last meaningless snap! It'd be one thing if he snubbed Coughlin and bolted off the field, but he went to midfield, shook the man's hand, and congratulated him. Isn't that the classy thing the losing coach is supposed to do after the game?
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:18 AM   #784
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
If anyone would like to compare the percentages of such a play, I'd be willing to bet that 4th and 10+ conversions are a much worse bet than the average 40-49 FG % of most NFL kickers.

Just off hand, for the year, Gostkowski was 3-5 from 40-49 and only Indy attempted fewer FG's from 40+ than New England. And career he's just 5-9 from 40-49 (plus 1-1 at 50+).

Meanwhile, distance aside (since I don't see it anywhere atm), NE was 15-21 (71.4%) on 4th down conversions this year and is 44-58 (75.9%) over the past three seasons.

Seems to me that this wasn't so much a horrible decision as it was a complete lack of confidence in the kicker at distance.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:19 AM   #785
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
standard, "Congratulations to Super Bowl XLII Champions, the New York Giants/New England Patriots" fine with you Lathum?

and say, loser has to have it in their sig till.. hmm.. training camp opens too long? NFL Draft?

ahem...
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:21 AM   #786
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
(NOT trying to be a wet blanket)

The Vinatieri FG's.

It's a top 5 signature play though.

you Boston homer.

no FG will ever be eligible for "Top Play" status. it's not even a play. FG's are so anticlimatic that to win a game by a FG is a farce.

which would you rather see - a guy kick a FG to win a game where it's a one-sided event (it's up to the kicker to make it), or an actual play where an offense has to make something happen and the defense has to prevent that something from happening?

i wish they'd change the rules so that no game can ever be won via FG, you can only use a FG to tie a game at the end of a game. what's better - "we need to march to about the 30 yard line and kick it", or "we need to march down the field and put the ball in the endzone".
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:28 AM   #787
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Gostkowski is a pretty good kicker, but I think Bellicheck has screwed with the kid's head qutie a bit.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:30 AM   #788
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Just off hand, for the year, Gostkowski was 3-5 from 40-49 and only Indy attempted fewer FG's from 40+ than New England. And career he's just 5-9 from 40-49 (plus 1-1 at 50+).

Meanwhile, distance aside (since I don't see it anywhere atm), NE was 15-21 (71.4%) on 4th down conversions this year and is 44-58 (75.9%) over the past three seasons.

Seems to me that this wasn't so much a horrible decision as it was a complete lack of confidence in the kicker at distance.

Is that all 4th down conversions? Since I know they made several 4th and 1s , 4th and 2s, etc.. I also know they made a few longer ones, but I would guess the majority of those 4th down conversions were closer.

I could see going for it if its the end of the game and you are 4+ points down, but at that point in the game, don't you have to have a kicker on your team that is capable of hitting a 49 yard FG in a dome stadium on some regularity?

I'm not sure if that decisions was as much lack of confidence in the kicker as it was just over confidence in the offense. 4th and 13 is a tough conversion regardless of who you are. That is why 3rd and longs are so bad for a team as well and a solid running game getting you 4-5 yards often can make a sub-par offense into an adequete offense.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:33 AM   #789
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
I'm not sure if that decisions was as much lack of confidence in the kicker as it was just over confidence in the offense. 4th and 13 is a tough conversion regardless of who you are. That is why 3rd and longs are so bad for a team as well and a solid running game getting you 4-5 yards often can make a sub-par offense into an adequete offense.

That was my impression too. He was arrogant enough to think that his vaunted offense couldn't be stopped, so he passed up the very makeable field goal.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:36 AM   #790
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is that all 4th down conversions?

Yep, because that's all I found.

Quote:
don't you have to have a kicker on your team that is capable of hitting a 49 yard FG in a dome stadium on some regularity?

I believe that's a big part of the question. Look at the numbers, it's not something he's known for and perhaps just as relevant is that it's not something he's been asked to do very often recently.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:40 AM   #791
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

You play all 60 minutes, unless you're losing...
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:40 AM   #792
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
As a Cowboys fan, it is my sincere hope that Tyree's grab can supplant Dwight Clark's and take the title of "The Catch".
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:46 AM   #793
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Congrats to the Giants.

As a Chargers fan, it is tough to know that Eli "freakin" Manning was responsible for a game winning drive to win the Super Bowl. But he has to get a lot of credit for escaping the pass rush and giving himself a chance to complete that miracle catch.

I had a lot of mixed feelings for this game since I have a lot of respect for Coughlin since he started with the expansion team Jacksonville Jaguars and was able to get that team to the Conference Finals in his 2nd year. It is also cool to see Amani Toomer get a ring as well.

However on the other side of the field are a couple of former Chargers I had to root for. That would be Rodney Harrison and Junior Seau. Rodney already have the jewelry, but I feel bad for my fellow Oceanside alum since this is the 2nd time in his career he reached the Super Bowl only to lose. And I wonder which one had hurt the most.

With that said, Eli and the Giants is in the history books and deserve all the pub they receive after doing something that most thought was impossible. Congrats Giants fans.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #794
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
That was my impression too. He was arrogant enough to think that his vaunted offense couldn't be stopped, so he passed up the very makeable field goal.
I don't know if "arrogant" is really the right word here. I thought it was questionable at the time, and in hindsight it's easy to say it was the wrong call. But if he has that much confidence in his offense (and most of the season's results back him up) then I'm not sure how that becomes some sort of character flaw just because they run a play that doesn't happen to work.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:19 AM   #795
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

A few thoughts from the game...

All the eli haters need to eat some crow. Without Eli we don't win this game.

Steve Spagnulo earned a head coaching position and should have been the games MVP.

I am thrilled for Toomer and Strahan. In an era of free agency they have been with the same toom for 11 and 15 years. They are the only 2 holdovers from the 2000 team that lost to the ravens.

The Pats ARE a great team. They did stuff this year that we have never seen before.

Bellicheck came off looking really bad. Even if there was no time on the clock perception is reality and with 500 million people watching you need to show some class.

I'm so happy for Tom Coughlin. I always thought he was a great coach and leader, I'm glad the powers that be stuck with him.

A personal note. This was one of the best nights of my life. I was born and raised in New Jersey and my wife and I have relocated to Cincinnati. Giants football is one of the things that reminds me of home. My wife and I have been watching Giants games together since we met, it is one of "our" things to do. My best friend in the world, Saldana, and his wife drove 9 hours down and my sister in law from NYC flew in since yesterday was my wifes birthday. We were surrounded by loved ones and it was an amazing day.

I am really hung over.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:34 AM   #796
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Acoupkle of more thoughts

The giants first drive was a thing of beauty.

I thought it was awesome the way Peyton was cheering for, and seemed genuily happy and excited fot Eli. I showed what a great relationship they have
Old 02-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #797
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dpla- Steve Smith is going to be a very good NFL receiver
Old 02-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #798
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
dpla- Steve Smith is going to be a very good NFL receiver
I hope you mean the "second half Steve Smith" and not that dunce from the first half.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:45 AM   #799
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
ahem...

Um.... Put it in even before the Patriots lost Lathum
Old 02-04-2008, 11:50 AM   #800
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Um.... Put it in even before the Patriots lost Lathum

Wait so you put it in the sig before the clock hit 0:00!!! What kind of fan are you??? Giving up on your team before your team lost!!!