Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-11-2007, 01:25 AM   #751
Izulde
Head Coach

Although I hate Texas, I loved watching Aldridge play in college and it's nice to see him start to take off as a pro.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:03 AM   #752
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Somehow the rumored 5 year 80millionish contract for Rashard Lewis is now blossoming to 6 years and around 120 million, after they do a sign and trade. That sound you heard was magic fans smacking their heads on the wall.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:05 AM   #753
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Oh yeah, and Stevie Franchise just got paid 30m to leave Portland. Not bad, indeed.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:34 PM   #754
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Somehow the rumored 5 year 80millionish contract for Rashard Lewis is now blossoming to 6 years and around 120 million, after they do a sign and trade. That sound you heard was magic fans smacking their heads on the wall.

Big money week for the Magic. Looks like they are going to give Dwight Howard a 5 year $80 mil extensioin. The Lewis contract is suprising to me if only because I have never looked at Lewis as a max kind of guy. In the few Sonic games I have seen over the last few years, he never really stood out.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:25 PM   #755
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Oh yeah, and Stevie Franchise just got paid 30m to leave Portland. Not bad, indeed.

Is there any advantage to buying a guy out at $30 million who was scheduled to make $33 million? Did they really do that just to save $3 million? Is there some way that they can control when the cap hit appears on the books or something by doing it this way?
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:26 PM   #756
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Is there any advantage to buying a guy out at $30 million who was scheduled to make $33 million? Did they really do that just to save $3 million? Is there some way that they can control when the cap hit appears on the books or something by doing it this way?

the fact he never shows up there is worth it
Old 07-11-2007, 02:04 PM   #757
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Basketball is weird for this, in the same way that football teams can just dispose of players willy nilly for the sake of 'parity'.

This is weird tho. I mean, not the specific move. Just the act of paying players not to play, ever.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:24 PM   #758
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Basketball is weird for this, in the same way that football teams can just dispose of players willy nilly for the sake of 'parity'.

This is weird tho. I mean, not the specific move. Just the act of paying players not to play, ever.

I actually find it refreshing. In so many cases, teams hide behind the fact that it will costs too much to just release a guy whether it is because he is in trouble with the law, or has been identified as a bad clubhouse guy etc. "Oh we can't cut him because the cap hit is too high," or "Oh we can't just cut him because he is guaranteed X amount of dollars" Now granted, we are talking about Paul Allen here but $30 mil is $30 mil. I look at it as the Blazers basically saying there are more important things (insert whatever you think those things are here) than the $30 million.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 07-11-2007, 02:28 PM   #759
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I actually find it refreshing. In so many cases, teams hide behind the fact that it will costs too much to just release a guy whether it is because he is in trouble with the law, or has been identified as a bad clubhouse guy etc. "Oh we can't cut him because the cap hit is too high," or "Oh we can't just cut him because he is guaranteed X amount of dollars" Now granted, we are talking about Paul Allen here but $30 mil is $30 mil. I look at it as the Blazers basically saying there are more important things (insert whatever you think those things are here) than the $30 million.

It's a tough one here. On one hand, yes the blazers rid themselves of excess crapola. On the other hand you have Francis yelling "I'm rich, beotch!"

Parlaying basketball skill into basically 30 million dollars to make it rain full time is a terrible example.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:29 PM   #760
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

It's possible what they did was restructure the payments, possibly gave him like 15m upfront and the rest over a longer period of time. I believe, also, whatever Francis signs for over the next 2 years will get deducted from his original 35m owed, so if he makes more than 4m over the next 2 years, the Blazers will end up saving even more money in the long haul.

Cap wise, he still counts for 15m this year, and 15m next year, but Portland wasn't really going to be under the cap anyways either year.

I believe the buyout also shaves just enough off that Portland will definitely not pay luxury tax this year. Not only is that dollar to dollar tax, it also means that you don't get a share of the collected tax money from other teams. I think the figure is probably right around 3-5 million per team this year, so 3m is a bit more than just 3m in the long run.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:29 PM   #761
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
Parlaying basketball skill into basically 30 million dollars to make it rain full time is a terrible example.

+1
Old 07-11-2007, 03:09 PM   #762
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
It's a tough one here. On one hand, yes the blazers rid themselves of excess crapola. On the other hand you have Francis yelling "I'm rich, beotch!"

I am only looking at it from the Blazers point of view. Unfortunately Francis benefits but he was going to benefit anyway. As long as he did just enough he was going to get $33 million anyway. That is not someone I want around my young impressionable team. If I have to pay him anyway, I rather pay him to stay away. A far worse example will be when a NBA GM, after seeing Steve Francis perform on and off the court over the last 2-3 years, will sign him to another contract in a couple of weeks.

DON"T DO IT PAT R.! PLEASE DON'T DO IT!!!!
Old 07-12-2007, 05:17 AM   #763
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Pretty funny that Darko is signing with the Grizzlies, essentially returning the #2 selection in the 2003 nba draft back to the Grizzlies, who had previously lost that pick to the Pistons for Otis Thorpe in like 1998.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:44 PM   #764
Groundhog
Coordinator

I've been watching some of the Bobcats games at the Orlando summer league and man, Jared Dudley is a baller. Bobcats were criticized for reaching by taking him so high, but it's clear that the Bobcats were looking for someone who could help them this year and I think Dudley is that guy by the look of things. He didn't shoot so well today, but he was knocking mid-range jumpers down the past 2 games, and he's been hitting the boards, playing great D, and just looking like the clear-and-away best guy out there.

Sean Williams for the Nets though looks seriously bad IMO. He hasn't played ball for awhile and his game against the Bobcats was a fair bit better than his other peformances, but right now I think it's hard to imagine him having much of an impact in the near future for the Nets. He hasn't picked up a block the past two games (though I could've sworn I saw him get one against the Bobcats - could be wrong), and he just jumps at everything - rebounds or blocks - instead of using his body.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:24 PM   #765
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Pretty funny that Darko is signing with the Grizzlies, essentially returning the #2 selection in the 2003 nba draft back to the Grizzlies, who had previously lost that pick to the Pistons for Otis Thorpe in like 1998.

It all comes full circle. And not just with the teams, but with value, too.

Look at it. The Grizz traded that pick for a solid rebounding power forward, a complementary player really. The value of said pick (assuming equal to what they got) is probably expected to be mid-first rounder. Instead, Memphis blows, and Detroit gets the #2 pick in the best draft in the last 10 years. Dumars blows it and drafts a mid-first round talent in Milicic. Time goes by, and Milicic ends back in Memphis--the mid-first round talent they thought they dealt away.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:24 AM   #766
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I believe the rockets got Jackie Butler and the rights to Luis Scola yesterday. While Scola is no sure thing to come over(HUGE buyout), he's one of the best players in the world not playing in the NBA, and could potentially fill the rockets need at PF.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:40 AM   #767
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
I believe the rockets got Jackie Butler and the rights to Luis Scola yesterday. While Scola is no sure thing to come over(HUGE buyout), he's one of the best players in the world not playing in the NBA, and could potentially fill the rockets need at PF.

Apparently Scola has wanted to come over, but the Spurs weren't willing to do so. The Rockets want him to come over for this upcoming season, and I think he could fill a huge need for us...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:40 AM   #768
JeeberD
General Manager

Dola-

And I have to admit that I may have been wrong about Aaron Brooks...he's been tearing it up so far in the SL.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:44 AM   #769
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Dola-

And I have to admit that I may have been wrong about Aaron Brooks...he's been tearing it up so far in the SL.

Decided that football wasn't for him, eh? Too bad he went to basketball, I thought he'd be in a cop movie with Will Smith next.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:25 PM   #770
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

whats Scolas buyout price? im getting tired of watching the Rockets loose
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:30 PM   #771
JeeberD
General Manager

Supposedly it was $3 million for the Spurs last year. I haven't heard a price for the Rockets yet...

Old 07-13-2007, 12:37 PM   #772
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

3 million! thats pretty much chump change isnt it? if they feel he can make a big contribution to the team then its worth it
Old 07-13-2007, 12:39 PM   #773
JeeberD
General Manager

From what I understand the team can only contribute a percentage of the buyout, so he would want a contract big enough to pay that back. Still not too expensive, but it makes it a bit more difficult.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:46 PM   #774
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

well i guess we will see how serious Les is about putting a team on the court that can win next year
Old 07-13-2007, 01:42 PM   #775
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
From what I understand the team can only contribute a percentage of the buyout, so he would want a contract big enough to pay that back. Still not too expensive, but it makes it a bit more difficult.

The Rockets can contribute 500k to his buyout amount. If he needs another 2.5million to cover the buyout, he'll need to sign a 3 year contract for at least 12.5 million. But that will only leave him with 3 years and 10 million of actual money. My guess, anyways, is that he goes to the Rockets for 3 years at nearly the full MLE amount(5.3 millionish), with a 4th year player option.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:43 PM   #776
stevew
Hall Of Famer

And I'm pretty pissed about the whole situation, cause the Cavs were close to getting both Bibby and Scola yesterday, but it fell through. I do think Bibby will be a Cav within the next few days, however.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:49 PM   #777
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

who did the Rockets give up to get Scolas rights?
Old 07-13-2007, 01:54 PM   #778
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
who did the Rockets give up to get Scolas rights?

Spanos and a 2nd rounder.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:07 PM   #779
JeeberD
General Manager

Spanos?

Spanoullis. Plus the 2009 second rounder and cash...

Edit: And it sounds like Spanoullis is still planning on heading back to Greece.

Last edited by JeeberD : 07-13-2007 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:10 PM   #780
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Spanos?

Spanoullis. Plus the 2009 second rounder and cash...

Edit: And it sounds like Spanoullis is still planning on heading back to Greece.

Spanoullis sounds like some bizarre venereal disease.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:18 PM   #781
JeeberD
General Manager

It's now being reported that Scola has already told his Spanish team that he's leaving them to sign with the Rockets. Woot!

Old 07-13-2007, 02:21 PM   #782
JeeberD
General Manager

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pa...Y&pageId=6.1.1

Scola On Verge of Signing with Rockets

Last Edited: Friday, 13 Jul 2007, 1:43 PM CDT
Created: Friday, 13 Jul 2007, 1:40 PM CDT

Houston Rockets FOX 26 Sports

HOUSTON -- Less than 24 hours after being traded from the San Antonio Spurs to the Houston Rockets, Argentinean forward Luis Scola may be on the verge of signing with the team.

On Thursday, the Spurs sent the rights to Scola and backup center Jackie Butler to Houston for guard Vassilis Spanoulis, a 2009 second-round pick, and cash.
Scola is a star for the Spanish team, Tau Ceramica, where he earned All-Euroleague First Team honors this past season.

The Rockets still have to sign Scola and according to his agent, George Bass, that could happen within a few days.

"I think the contract will come together very quickly and I see it coming together by this weekend or early next week," Bass said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports.

NBA sources told FOX 26 Friday that the Rockets already have the wheels in motion for Scola to take a physical in Buenos Aires once a contract agreement is reached.

"Our whole (agency) group is excited about getting Luis traded to Houston." Bass said.

Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey told FOX 26 Sports Thursday he expected Scola to join his franchise and compete for a starting job.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:11 PM   #783
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

woot!
Old 07-14-2007, 02:30 PM   #784
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

The Bulls signed PF Joe Smith to a two year deal yesterday, I think the roster is pretty much set for next season now.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:10 PM   #785
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The chinese Brad Lohaus is still holding out....this could get very interesting if Milwaukee decides to call his bluff and not trade him. I still don't see why they drafted him, especially if he didn't want to go there. The next 4-5 players in the draft would have all been pretty good as well for the Bucks, now they likely won't get anything more than a future #1 or a couple young vets for him.

Quote:
Chinese Club Will Block Yi's Move To Milwaukee
July 17, 2007 - 10:41 am
ESPN -
The Milwaukee Bucks ' campaign to secure the services of reluctant power forward Yi Jianlian has suffered a blow after the player's Chinese club said it would block his move to the United States.

Yi, taken by Milwaukee with the sixth selection in the NBA draft last month, would "definitely not" play for Milwaukee, Tuesday's Beijing News quoted Guangdong Tigers chief, Chen Haitao, as saying.

"This is not -- as media reports have said -- because Milwaukee, as a city with very few Chinese people, is not good for Yi's commercial development," Chen said.

"Rather we want to find a team suitable for Yi's growth. That's the root of the problem," he added.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:13 PM   #786
rkmsuf
Head Coach

fuck him then

it's not like he's much anyway
Old 07-17-2007, 12:16 PM   #787
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

If they call his bluff, then what? They retain his rights indefinitely, right? They better deal him now, though. Because it's not as if they're going to get anything better for him the longer he sits.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:24 PM   #788
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
How long do we have to wait before we rip Yi for not wanting to play in MIL?

Quote:
fuck him then

it's not like he's much anyway

I guess it is time!
Old 07-17-2007, 12:28 PM   #789
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yi can go back to china, and not play professional ball for a year. That would put his rights back in the 2008 draft. But if he goes back to China and plays in the CBA, then the Bucks retain his rights for the year after his contract there ends. So, perhaps he will go home, and just practice with the National team all year, i dunno.

Quote:
42. What if the team and player can't agree to a contract? What options does the player have? How long does the team keep his draft rights?

The player's options are limited. What happens depends on a number of factors:
If the player is already under contract to, or signs a contract with a non-NBA team, the team retains the player's draft rights for one year after the player's obligation to the non-NBA team ends. Essentially, the clock stops as long as the player plays pro ball outside the NBA. Players are not included in the team's team salary while the player is under contract with a non-NBA team.

If the player was still eligible to play in college before he was drafted, the team retains the player's draft rights until the draft the player would have entered had he not left college early. For example, if a team drafts a college sophomore in 2005, they retain his draft rights until the date of the 2007 draft. Note that the current NCAA rules state that players lose their NCAA eligibility if they are drafted, so the player could not return or go on to play college ball.

For all other players, the team retains the player's draft rights until the date of the next draft.

In any of the above cases, if the team does not sign the player in the allotted time, the player can enter the next draft. If the team that selects the player in the next draft doesn't sign him either, he becomes a rookie free agent.

When a team signs a first round draft pick in a year other than the year in which he was drafted, the player is signed using the salary scale for the year in which he is signed, not the year in which he was drafted. An exception to this is for players drafted prior to 2005, under the previous CBA. These players may be signed according to the rules for scale contracts set forth in the previous CBA, including three guaranteed years plus one option year, at the scale salary for the year in which the player was drafted.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:36 PM   #790
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Lakers should make a move for him. It won't be the stud Kobe wants, but if they can get him for some of the crap on their roster and a draft pick or two he'd be well worth it, if only for the marketing boost.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:18 PM   #791
Anthony
Banned

wow, David Stern better man up and tell China to force Yi to sign a deal with the Bucks. Stern can't have a foreign player essentially thumbing their nose at the NBA draft system or he'll risk having the nonsense that MLB goes through (foreign players being able to sign FA contracts worth more than what the ammy draft rookies get). can't have China dictating where their players go to.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:32 PM   #792
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

NBA < Chinese Government
Old 07-17-2007, 01:34 PM   #793
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
NBA < Chinese Government

not if stern mans up
Old 07-17-2007, 01:38 PM   #794
Anthony
Banned

seriously, if he doesn't step in and do something then basically the Chinese government can start making it so that they decide where their players go (mostly big market teams). what if they decide that they only want their players going to 3 or so teams? the NBA draft will be a mockery if the selections of the teams are respected. i can see if players can't come to terms on a deal, but for the Chinese Gov to step in and get involved is bush league.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:41 PM   #795
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Isn't the Bucks owner like a Senator or something? He's got to be able to do something about that, right?

Because I don't see the Bucks being able to get anything like fair value for Yi unless they can start a bidding war. As soon as they announce that they are willing to trade him, they are admitting that they are cutting their losses and will get 50 cents on the dollar for him.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:41 PM   #796
rkmsuf
Head Coach

what exactly would you want stern to do?

tactical nukes perhaps?
Old 07-17-2007, 01:47 PM   #797
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
what exactly would you want stern to do?

tactical nukes perhaps?

initiate new rules that allow teams that draft players retain their rights indefinitely or at least prohibit players from reentering the draft for like 3 years, if not more. if you don't want to play in the NBA then you should have to make that decision at a price.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:49 PM   #798
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
initiate new rules that allow teams that draft players retain their rights indefinitely or at least prohibit players from reentering the draft for like 3 years, if not more. if you don't want to play in the NBA then you should have to make that decision at a price.

now we are getting somewhere

doesn't solve the problem but we are getting somewhere. if those rules are known then only the teams the receive the "go signal" will draft these guys anyway.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:54 PM   #799
Anthony
Banned

no, at that point you have to decide if you're willing to sit out, say, 3 years to reenter the draft or if you'll just shut up, show you belong in the league (and odds are likely you don't since only 2 or so players from every draft have any lasting power) and then demand a trade. for a guy who will likely amount to a whole lotta nothing 6 or 7 years from now he certainly has a lot of demands.

players play, GM pick the players who play. never the twain shall meet.

Last edited by Anthony : 07-17-2007 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:56 PM   #800
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Well, the bucks do retain his rights indefinitely as long as he signs with another pro team. He can't re-enter the draft unless he spends a whole year as a non-professional ballplayer.