Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-28-2007, 07:40 PM   #751
bignej
High School JV

I wonder who cleveland is going to pick with Dallas' 3rd rounder. DL?
bignej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:41 PM   #752
DeToxRox
Head Coach

www.chewthemout.com --> sophmoric humor draft journal up there for your parusing.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:42 PM   #753
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrith View Post
He's proven nothing in the pros so far, so it seems that he was more of a throw in because Detroit wanted to get rid of him than a major piece.

That's an understatement. Remember, the Lions brought in Az Hakim to start over Mike Williams. They brought in Cory Bradford, twice to start over Mike Williams. In fact, they started JOSH McCOWN at WR over Mike Williams.

It's possible that the light turns on and Williams develops into something. He could become a decent possession receiver and should still be dangerous in the red zone.

Still, if I were the Raiders, I would have made the trade.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:43 PM   #754
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignej View Post
I wonder who cleveland is going to pick with Dallas' 3rd rounder. DL?

Several passable DE's still available. I'm hoping Charles Johnson of Georgia slips to Detroits next pick.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:44 PM   #755
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshogg23 View Post
Several passable DE's still available. I'm hoping Charles Johnson of Georgia slips to Detroits next pick.

Me too!

The duo of DeWayne White and Kalimba Edwards will scare no one.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-28-2007, 07:45 PM   #756
Tyrith
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

Yeah, a high 4 for a retread QB is actually pretty solid value. At least McCown can play some, he's not awful by any stretch. Hopefully you can get through the first year without having to throw Russell into the fire.
Tyrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:45 PM   #757
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

A backup QB and a small chance to get productivity from a WR. Hell teams draft backup QBs higher than the 4th round. Definitely a good trade for Oakland and a statement that Marinelli has a fair amount of front office control in Detroit.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:46 PM   #758
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Josh McCown will win his first game as a starter for Oakland and Mike Williams will have at least one touchdown catch.

Write it down.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:48 PM   #759
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Eagles get Notre Dame guy.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:48 PM   #760
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Me too!

The duo of DeWayne White and Kalimba Edwards will scare no one.

In terms of DE's it was a really bad year to have the #2 pick. I was very happy Detroit didn't reach for Adams.

I think Detroit will end up drafting someone who has a career like James Hall did. Certainly not someone who Detroit can count as a cornerstone but someone who won't be a huge hole either.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:48 PM   #761
SFL Cat
College Starter

Where's jbmagic when you need him?
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:48 PM   #762
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Yeah, a high 4 for a retread QB is actually pretty solid value. At least McCown can play some, he's not awful by any stretch. Hopefully you can get through the first year without having to throw Russell into the fire.

Agreed. I thought he out played Kitna in the pre-season last year. He's put up some decent numbers at times, but you do have to wonder about a QB who couldn't win the starting job in Arizona or Detroit.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:49 PM   #763
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Raiders looking good in the draft.

Someone had to say it, no?
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:52 PM   #764
RendeR
Coordinator

Ok, just read this whole bloody thread, and i gotta say:

You guys suck =)

I don't think more than 2 of you hit a pick right in this thing, though i give credit to many, you ought to be running your teams front offices.

Miami..W T F ????

Indianapolis gets the steal of the first round, gonzalez will be an amazing addition to them as a slot receiver. his timing and hands on 3rd down will make manning a VERY happy QB.

Buffalo, EXCELLENT draft so far for them.

Cincy, not impressed with yet another overrated Mi-shit-gan first rounder. Who is this Irons guy? I really haven't heard his name much. Anyone got a good rundown on his abilities?

Niners, though i hate to admit it, looking VERy good.

Detroit looks to me to be on the right track. though I'm not sold on the CJ pick he WAS the best player in thedraft, so the pick is good even if you don't really need him. I LOVE the Drew Stanton Pick, I think Stanton will turn out to be a long term starter for the lions and could well be a star.

Cleveland...what can i say, everything hinges on Quiin for them, if he busts even a LITTLE, the Browns will suck for another decade.

Fun stuff so far.

Last edited by RendeR : 04-28-2007 at 07:54 PM.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:52 PM   #765
sabotai
General Manager

Did someone punch Norv Turner in the throat? His voice sounds terrible.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:52 PM   #766
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
In terms of DE's it was a really bad year to have the #2 pick. I was very happy Detroit didn't reach for Adams.

I think Detroit will end up drafting someone who has a career like James Hall did. Certainly not someone who Detroit can count as a cornerstone but someone who won't be a huge hole either.

Me too. I would have hated the Lions taking Adams at #2 or even #4. It's a huge need, but I didn't think there was anyone left worth the Lions 2nd round pick, which is why I was ok with them trading down.

They really need to try to address the DE, ILB, and CB positions with the rest of these picks. The Lions' starting CBs are who? Fernando Bryant and Keith Smith/Stanley Wilson? Sweet Jeebus!
Old 04-28-2007, 07:54 PM   #767
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

I am not impressed with the Philadelphia draft. They seem to have reached on both 2nd round picks after a smart trade out of the 1st round. Their secondary needs to be reinforced and a backup RB with a pulse would help. Pittman is still available...
Old 04-28-2007, 07:55 PM   #768
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
www.chewthemout.com --> sophmoric humor draft journal up there for your parusing.

I find this funny:

1:35 Brady Quinn smiles at Rachel Nichols. Her panties drop faster than Quinn's draft stock.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:55 PM   #769
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Noooo, not the Lions.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:57 PM   #770
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Not only am I not impressed with the Eagles' draft, this is the most disappointed I've been in an Eagles' draft in the last 5-10 years. I can't help but wonder if Reid's absence to attend to family/personal problems, hurt their draft prep. I didn't think it would, but they definitely seem to be "off" this year.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 04-28-2007 at 07:57 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:57 PM   #771
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
They really need to try to address the DE, ILB, and CB positions with the rest of these picks. The Lions' starting CBs are who? Fernando Bryant and Keith Smith/Stanley Wilson? Sweet Jeebus!

I agree totally. Charles Johnson of Georgia as DE, Buster Davis or H.B. Blades(Bennie's kid) at ILB and McCauley at CB. Those would be my picks at this point. I think we can get at least 2 of those 4 with our picks, possibly 3.

I think with our CB picks we can be more conservative, zone coverage is much easier(cheaper) than man to man.

Last edited by bosshogg23 : 04-28-2007 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:59 PM   #772
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Not only am I not impressed with the Eagles' draft, this is the most disappointed I've been in an Eagles' draft in the last 5-10 years. I can't help but wonder if Reid's absence to attend to family/personal problems, hurt their draft prep. I didn't think it would, but they definitely seem to be "off" this year.

Though I live in Philly im a Detroit fan. I didn't have the chance to watch the draft with Philly fans this year. What were you looking for in the draft in terms of position?
Old 04-28-2007, 08:00 PM   #773
14ers
High School Varsity

I am liking the NFL networks LIVE unedited coverage, like their "Email Answers" segments instead of getting some pretaped edited ESPN documentary about a player's mother's cousin's childhood.

The NFL network seems to have less taped player footage and more live commentary.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:00 PM   #774
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Dola

Well shit Lions just traded up to take Francis from Hawaii
Old 04-28-2007, 08:01 PM   #775
Izulde
Head Coach

Wonder who the Dolphins will pick to go 3-3 in major fuckups. *sigh*

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:03 PM   #776
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Looks like the Lions gave up a 3rd and a 5th to move up. Guess that settles the rookie salary cap situation.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:04 PM   #777
RendeR
Coordinator

Shit...I just realized the bengals don't have a 3rd round pick since they too brooks last year in the supplimental draft with it. We don't pick again until #114...

I REALLY hope hall and irons turn out to be studs.....
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:04 PM   #778
RedKingGold
College Starter

Absolutely thrilled with the 49er's draft. If they complete the trade for Jackson, they could shit on their draft picks for the rest of the weekend, and it will still be a very successful weekend.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:04 PM   #779
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Though I live in Philly im a Detroit fan. I didn't have the chance to watch the draft with Philly fans this year. What were you looking for in the draft in terms of position?

With the loss of Donte', I think we should have taken a WR early. I also think we needed DE help, I'm just not sold on the one we took, DB help, and a young LB to groom. Those were the highest priority needs, while I think a QB should have been a later selection. Yes, McNabb has had some fluke injuries the last few years, but he very likely has 5 or 6 years left in him and to take a QB so highly that was a reach, makes no sense.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:06 PM   #780
14ers
High School Varsity

Anyone know the History of the Draft start time?

I remember as a young kid skipping school on a weekday to watch the New York NFL Draft that started around 7-8AM in CA.

Last edited by 14ers : 04-28-2007 at 08:07 PM.
14ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:07 PM   #781
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Yes, McNabb has had some fluke injuries the last few years, but he very likely has 5 or 6 years left in him and to take a QB so highly that was a reach, makes no sense.

I agree completely with that. Jeff Garcia had commercials running non stop for used car dealerships about 2 weeks into his tenure. McNabb is so underappreciated in Philadelphia that its sad.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:08 PM   #782
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Noooo, not the Dolphins.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:09 PM   #783
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Although I am happy to see two Warriors selected in the 2nd round.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:09 PM   #784
Turd Ferguson
Mascot

Quote:
Wonder who the Dolphins will pick to go 3-3 in major fuckups. *sigh*

Dude, Ginn Jr. was a reach...sure, but Beck??? I can see how you could label Ginn a "major reach" even, but major fuck up is a bit harsh. Maybe you should turn off the draft and focus on your Victoria Secret fragrances.
Turd Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:10 PM   #785
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Damn Detroit traded up again for a S, Alexander of Boise St. Gotta say I don't know anything about him

Last edited by bosshogg23 : 04-28-2007 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:11 PM   #786
Izulde
Head Coach

A center... we have an ancient defensive line and linebackers, jack shit for secondary... and we take... a frigging center.

From Hawaii.

I just know I'm going to wake up tomorrow and find my capstone paper that I'm 2/3rd of the way through with mysteriously deleted.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:14 PM   #787
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
Dude, Ginn Jr. was a reach...sure, but Beck??? I can see how you could label Ginn a "major reach" even, but major fuck up is a bit harsh. Maybe you should turn off the draft and focus on your Victoria Secret fragrances.

Ginn Jr. is a glorified kick returner who has little to no receiving skills.

Beck is 25 and can't throw deep.

Yeah, Quinn's overrated in my opinion, but if the Dolphins got Green, they suffer through another bad year while Quinn gets up to NFL speed and then in the first second round pick they could actually draft a receiver who knows how to do this really new and cool thing called catch the football.

We have enough receivers who know how to drop a pass. We didn't need another one, especially not with a Top 10 pick.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:15 PM   #788
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

wow. right now theres 45 peeps in this thread.

dola i should add im glad the Vikings arnt the joke of this draft
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:17 PM   #789
st.cronin
General Manager

Quite the run on wac players there.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:18 PM   #790
Tyrith
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
A center... we have an ancient defensive line and linebackers, jack shit for secondary... and we take... a frigging center.

From Hawaii.

I just know I'm going to wake up tomorrow and find my capstone paper that I'm 2/3rd of the way through with mysteriously deleted.

Hey, the center from Hawaii is a solid prospect at least. Spend that other draft pick on a fancy QB you're best off not getting him killed by Vince Wilfork.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:18 PM   #791
Celeval
Pro Starter

Trent Edwards is incredibly uncomfortable right now.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:19 PM   #792
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Gerald Alexander seemed like a reach in the 2nd to Detroit but he's very versatile. I am not drinking Lions kool-aid but he was a productive four year guy who plays CB and S and he is a bright kid (honor roll student) who had a good workout.

Probably could've gotten him later but they got who they wanted.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:21 PM   #793
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
wow. right now theres 45 peeps in this thread.

dola i should add im glad the Vikings arnt the joke of this draft

I was gonna pick on them for once again taking an overrated Cock of a receiver, but never got around to it.

knives out
Old 04-28-2007, 08:21 PM   #794
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Hey, the center from Hawaii is a solid prospect at least. Spend that other draft pick on a fancy QB you're best off not getting him killed by Vince Wilfork.

Admittedly I know nothing about the WAC, so I'll take your word that he's a solid prospect. It's some small comfort at least.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:23 PM   #795
st.cronin
General Manager

Now that's a good pick by Green Bay. I bet he gets 1200 yards as a rookie.

knives out
Old 04-28-2007, 08:24 PM   #796
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Gerald Alexander seemed like a reach in the 2nd to Detroit but he's very versatile. I am not drinking Lions kool-aid but he was a productive four year guy who plays CB and S and he is a bright kid (honor roll student) who had a good workout.

Probably could've gotten him later but they got who they wanted.

Seems to be a replacement for Kenoy Kennedy in 1 year. I really hope Marinelli is having an influence and drafting players who really want to play football as opposed to M Williams......hell even Barry didn't really care about football.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:27 PM   #797
Turd Ferguson
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde

Ginn Jr. is a glorified kick returner who has little to no receiving skills.

Beck is 25 and can't throw deep.

Yeah, Quinn's overrated in my opinion, but if the Dolphins got Green, they suffer through another bad year while Quinn gets up to NFL speed and then in the first second round pick they could actually draft a receiver who knows how to do this really new and cool thing called catch the football.

We have enough receivers who know how to drop a pass. We didn't need another one, especially not with a Top 10 pick.

Ginn Jr. has receiving skills, but I agree he would not have been my first choice at #9. Frankly, I preferred Okoye. I was surprised, but I don't hate the pick. If healthy, and that could be big "if", Ginn is a big play-maker. No, he's not going to catch 6-8 balls a week. He could, however, be a game-changing type player (ala Santana Moss/Devin Hester). My concern about him is not so much the drops, he doesn't have a history of catching problems as you allude to. Rather his problems are his route-running and his health.

Beck is a solid quarterback. He's not perfect, and his arm strength isn't impressive, but he's no Pennington either. He's mature and could step-in soon. He's most compared to Brees, a comparison I can live with (though I'd much rather go back in time and sign the real thing). Who cares if he's 25? Coaches don't get 5-7 years to develop these guys anymore. Cam realizes he probably has 3-4 years. Beck is perfect for that. He doesn't work out, oh well, it's not going to be Cam's problem at that point.

As for Satele, good pick. We need help on the OL. We really needed a tackle, but Satele can play both C/G and this gives us some needed flexibility with the departure of Seth McKinney, amongst others.

I know many would disagree, but I think this draft is going ok for the Fins.
Turd Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:36 PM   #798
Tyrith
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Admittedly I know nothing about the WAC, so I'll take your word that he's a solid prospect. It's some small comfort at least.

At the time he was taken he was #1 or #2 on Kiper's list. It wasn't out of right field.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:36 PM   #799
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
Ginn Jr. has receiving skills, but I agree he would not have been my first choice at #9. Frankly, I preferred Okoye. I was surprised, but I don't hate the pick. If healthy, and that could be big "if", Ginn is a big play-maker. No, he's not going to catch 6-8 balls a week. He could, however, be a game-changing type player (ala Santana Moss/Devin Hester). My concern about him is not so much the drops, he doesn't have a history of catching problems as you allude to. Rather his problems are his route-running and his health.

I preferred Okoye mysef and that's who I really wanted us to take at #9. If a receiver was absolutely necessary there, I'd have taken Jarrett, which is absurdly high for him as well, but at least he can be a quality receiver. I'm not sold on Ginn, Jr. being able to contribute as a receiver, but who knows? Maybe the staff can work some magic. My bet is no, and frankly I despised this pick.

Quote:
Beck is a solid quarterback. He's not perfect, and his arm strength isn't impressive, but he's no Pennington either. He's mature and could step-in soon. He's most compared to Brees, a comparison I can live with (though I'd much rather go back in time and sign the real thing). Who cares if he's 25? Coaches don't get 5-7 years to develop these guys anymore. Cam realizes he probably has 3-4 years. Beck is perfect for that. He doesn't work out, oh well, it's not going to be Cam's problem at that point.

Most compares to Brees? That I could definitely live with, as Brees has been one of my favorite QBs ever since his days as Purdue. That being said, Beck strikes me as more Wienke than Brees.

Quote:
As for Satele, good pick. We need help on the OL. We really needed a tackle, but Satele can play both C/G and this gives us some needed flexibility with the departure of Seth McKinney, amongst others.

I know many would disagree, but I think this draft is going ok for the Fins.

Although I think we need help on defense more than the O-line, it does seem from the commentary here and the research I'm doing online that Satele is a good pick. Yeah, we need a tackle, but I don't think there were any tackles worth taking at this point in the draft.

And yeah, I'm one of those that disagrees that this is an okay draft. It was an absolutely awful draft through the first two picks in my opinion, but hopefully Satele can signal a turnaround in the later rounds. He at least takes this draft from god awful to simply really, really bad.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:39 PM   #800
Tyrith
College Starter

Not every older QB that comes out in the draft is going to be Chris Weinke :P Weinke was one player, he's not exactly a huge statistical sample.