Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-27-2006, 07:25 PM   #751
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz
The Sabres have scheduled a press conference for 4pm today to discuss the new jersey design for the coming year.

I'm scared...really scared. {crosses fingers}Please have swords in the design!!!{/crosses fingers}

sort of good news, I guess.
They are still changing their jerseys (not yet "officially" unveiled, but sounds like it is indeed the nasty-ass buffaslug).

but they are using their original jerseys as a 3rd jersey for 15 games.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:36 PM   #752
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
sort of good news, I guess.
They are still changing their jerseys (not yet "officially" unveiled, but sounds like it is indeed the nasty-ass buffaslug).

but they are using their original jerseys as a 3rd jersey for 15 games.

Well, I'm willing to give them time on this, even though the managing director said the DTC (Donald Trump Combover ) logo is indeed the one they're going with on the radio today.

He says that the leaked logo wasn't 'complete' and missing some wordmarks. He also said that swords WOULD be part of the finished product.

Buffalo fans can breathe a sigh of relief!
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:24 AM   #753
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Guys, I was serious here.

Pushor will be the 9th defenseman, so his official title (and has been for the past 2 years) is Crunch veteran. He'll be helping out down there, and the only reason he saw time in a CBJ uniform last year was because of terrible injuries to the blueline. Surprisingly, he didn't look half bad, but I hope to never see him up here again.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 05:46 PM   #754
Pyser
Pro Rookie

the van ryn signing made me think of this...the defensive pairings the devils could have that were given away in deals/fa...meanwhile, we had klee and aleblein back there last year:

niedermeyer - commodore
van ryn - souray
willie mitchell - jason smith
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 11:09 PM   #755
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
willie mitchell - jason smith
Whoa there chummy. Leaf fans are the only ones allowed to play "sweet jesus, our defence would be so much better if we hadn't dealt away Jason Smith" card.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:20 AM   #756
Simms
FOBL Commish

Hasek to the Wings, according to Kukla.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:25 AM   #757
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms

It's on ESPN.com too...
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:38 AM   #758
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

so much for the cancer being in remission...
Old 07-31-2006, 11:40 AM   #759
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Hrmm....

I have to think on this. He won a Cup here, which is hard to overlook, but he has betrayed me too many times in the past. He's also old and has a wonky groin...

I need to see a salary before drawing any sort of significant conclusion.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:47 AM   #760
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

it's still going to get a pretty big HAHA from me, even if he's playing just for free Icy Hot
Old 07-31-2006, 11:48 AM   #761
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

btw, pretty nice locker room shift for the Wings - Yzerman and Shanahan for Hasek. Aces.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:15 PM   #762
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I have thought more on this. (These views are subject to change)

The Hasek Situation.

Is it ideal? No. Not at all. He's a 41 year old goalie who is a known headcase and has a wonky, brittle groin.

That said, while healthy last year he played pretty well in Ottawa. He had solid numbers and was a quality starter.

Also, what were our other options? Giguere and his wonky hip and large contract? Nabokov and his massive deal and wildly inconsistent performance? Toskala a young, good goalie who would've likely cost an arm and a leg to get via trade? Biron, a young, good goalie with zero playoff experience and some unknown trade value? I really thought Biron was the only viable option (Toskala's price always seemed too rich for the Wings' blood).

With Hasek, the situation is clear. He's the starter. Osgood is the capable back-up. Ozzie is a vet who is comfortable in the back-up role and played pretty well for the Wings in the same role last year.

If Hasek's groin gives, we still have Osgood and we can then see how Liv or Howard are doing in the minors. If they're doing well, we call one of them up. If not, the Hasek deal will likely give the Wings enough cap space to go out and trade for a starting goalie. I forget the exact rule, but if a player is on IR long enough, then some (or all) of his salary is no longer counted against the cap. Ottawa could have done the same last year and didn't. That's what sunk 'em.

Assuming Hasek's deal is comparable to the deal Belfour signed with Florida, all in all, it's not that bad of a move. It makes some sense. Hasek totally out played Belfour (when both were healthy) last year. Just look at the numbers.

Of all the 40+ year old goalies out there with injury problems, I'd say we've got the best one! That's gotta count for something...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-31-2006, 12:42 PM   #763
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
btw, pretty nice locker room shift for the Wings - Yzerman and Shanahan for Hasek. Aces.

You're not wrong. Well, at least our starting goalie is spending the summer as Paris Hilton's new boy toy.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:48 PM   #764
MikeVic
Head Coach

Umm... I haven't been paying attention much... but where's Manny Legace?
Old 07-31-2006, 12:50 PM   #765
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
Umm... I haven't been paying attention much... but where's Manny Legace?

Still a man without a home. Apparently he's talking to St. Louis and New York (Islanders). There's no way he'd be the starter in New York, so maybe St. Louis is the better bet. They have Curtis Sanford, who played well, but Legace is more apt to challenge him for the #1 than he is DiPietro.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:08 PM   #766
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

What's the deal with Legace? He seemed fine last year. He has one iffy playoff series and suddenly he's kryptonite?
Old 07-31-2006, 01:19 PM   #767
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
What's the deal with Legace? He seemed fine last year. He has one iffy playoff series and suddenly he's kryptonite?

Lol, that's why I asked. It just hit me: "Wait, why is Detroit looking for a goalie??" I always liked Legace, so I don't understand how Hasek/Osgood is a better situation than Legace/anyone.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:22 PM   #768
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
You're not wrong. Well, at least our starting goalie is spending the summer as Paris Hilton's new boy toy.

but at least pretty boy seems to understand the season isn't supposed to end in February
Old 07-31-2006, 01:29 PM   #769
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Lol, that's why I asked. It just hit me: "Wait, why is Detroit looking for a goalie??" I always liked Legace, so I don't understand how Hasek/Osgood is a better situation than Legace/anyone.

The team lost faith in Legace and, more improtantly, Legace lost faith in Legace. He was interviewed on Detroit Sports Radio about a month ago. He did not come off well. He sounded kind of pathetic and broken. It was really uncomfortable to listen to. I hope he rebounds. He also made a number of comments during the Edmonton series and afterwards that you just really don't want to hear coming from your starting goalie.

Legace wasn't solely to blame for the Wings' early playoff exit, but he certainly didn't make any game saving type saves. Not once. He was very average in the series. He had that knock on him going on and did nothing to disprove it.

So now, he's been saddled with a reputation as not being able to handle the pressures of playoff hockey. That's a tough reputation to shake and even more difficult to get a starting job (or starter's money) with that rep.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:35 PM   #770
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The Hasek Situation.Is it ideal? No. Not at all. He's a 41 year old goalie who is a known headcase and has a wonky, brittle groin.

See 05-06 Atlanta Thrashers for how that whole wonky, brittle groin thing works out.

I might very well be proven wrong once the season begins but at this point I think there's about a zero percent chance I would have even paid min sal to sign Hasek.

Then again, nobody from Detroit called me to ask my opinion.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:34 AM   #771
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
See 05-06 Atlanta Thrashers for how that whole wonky, brittle groin thing works out.

I might very well be proven wrong once the season begins but at this point I think there's about a zero percent chance I would have even paid min sal to sign Hasek.

Then again, nobody from Detroit called me to ask my opinion.

Seeing all the particulars of the Hasek deal, I'm more convinced than before that this was a decent move. In particular:

"Hasek will get a low base salary of $750,000 next season and, more importantly, his entire $1 million bonus clause is based on playoff performance, which, if attained, can count against the following season's salary cap."

So, for this season, the Wings are on the hook for only $750k of salary. They have a decent amount of cap room left and should still have some after they re-sign Franzen and sign one of Carter, Sykora, or Rucinsky. Therefore, if Hasek's groin gives they will be able to go out and trade for a goalie. The biggest risk, of course, is if Hasek's groin goes out post-trade deadline. Yeah, the Wings will be in a tough spot but they have a solid 1(b) in Osgood and you have to hope that either Liv or Howard will, over the course of the season, develop into a 1(b) or 1(a) goalie.

Given the other options available, I'll take the gamble on Hasek.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:14 PM   #772
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=173003&hubname=

The Sabres continue to spend money, signing Max Afinogenov to a 3 year, $10 Million deal.

Darcy Regier is doing an absolutely phenomenal job keeping this team together and I'm very impressed that they seem flexible with their budget.

They still have to sign Ryan Miller (who will get big dollars) and Dmitri Kalinin and I won't be surprised to see Dumont and Biron packaged together in a deal but the core of this team is set after they officially accept the Briere arbitration ruling this weekend.

After years of shady ownership and lackluster upper management, this team truly gets it now and it's refreshing as hell for fans like myself.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:19 PM   #773
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=173003&hubname=

The Sabres continue to spend money, signing Max Afinogenov to a 3 year, $10 Million deal.

Darcy Regier is doing an absolutely phenomenal job keeping this team together and I'm very impressed that they seem flexible with their budget.

They still have to sign Ryan Miller (who will get big dollars) and Dmitri Kalinin and I won't be surprised to see Dumont and Biron packaged together in a deal but the core of this team is set after they officially accept the Briere arbitration ruling this weekend.

After years of shady ownership and lackluster upper management, this team truly gets it now and it's refreshing as hell for fans like myself.

I'm really happy. Buffalo is a team I grew to watch quite a bit on NHL Open Ice because of how they played. They have the team that fits perfectly with the system, and an excellent goalie who gives them a shot every night. I really am excited to see more of them this upcoming year. They have the core in tact (assuming Miller signs long term) to be one of the upper echelon teams for years to come.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:49 PM   #774
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
I have thought more on this. (These views are subject to change)

The Hasek Situation.

Is it ideal? No. Not at all. He's a 41 year old goalie who is a known headcase and has a wonky, brittle groin.

That said, while healthy last year he played pretty well in Ottawa. He had solid numbers and was a quality starter.

Also, what were our other options? Giguere and his wonky hip and large contract? Nabokov and his massive deal and wildly inconsistent performance? Toskala a young, good goalie who would've likely cost an arm and a leg to get via trade? Biron, a young, good goalie with zero playoff experience and some unknown trade value? I really thought Biron was the only viable option (Toskala's price always seemed too rich for the Wings' blood).

With Hasek, the situation is clear. He's the starter. Osgood is the capable back-up. Ozzie is a vet who is comfortable in the back-up role and played pretty well for the Wings in the same role last year.

If Hasek's groin gives, we still have Osgood and we can then see how Liv or Howard are doing in the minors. If they're doing well, we call one of them up. If not, the Hasek deal will likely give the Wings enough cap space to go out and trade for a starting goalie. I forget the exact rule, but if a player is on IR long enough, then some (or all) of his salary is no longer counted against the cap. Ottawa could have done the same last year and didn't. That's what sunk 'em.

Assuming Hasek's deal is comparable to the deal Belfour signed with Florida, all in all, it's not that bad of a move. It makes some sense. Hasek totally out played Belfour (when both were healthy) last year. Just look at the numbers.

Of all the 40+ year old goalies out there with injury problems, I'd say we've got the best one! That's gotta count for something...

This is Hb turning chicken shit into chicken salad

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:44 PM   #775
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Two items, just reading over at the HF boards--

JP Dumont awarded $2.9M in arbitration.

And, Tretiak declines to sign the IIHF transfer agreement. Which, would mean no Malkin (unless he bolts on his own), which could mean-

"With the 1st pick in the 2007 NHL draft, the Pittsburgh Penguins are please to select Angelo Esposito..."
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:51 AM   #776
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

This one is pretty random, but...

Last night some friends and I were talking about old goalies, and I mentioned an old (mid-90's) second string NHL goalie who had crazy sideburns and red hair. I think he played for a western Canadian team. I thought it was Troy Gamble, but I could be wrong. Nobody else could figure out who I meant.

Anyone have any idea who I was thinking of?
Old 08-03-2006, 08:55 AM   #777
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
This one is pretty random, but...

Last night some friends and I were talking about old goalies, and I mentioned an old (mid-90's) second string NHL goalie who had crazy sideburns and red hair. I think he played for a western Canadian team. I thought it was Troy Gamble, but I could be wrong. Nobody else could figure out who I meant.

Anyone have any idea who I was thinking of?
I know you're not talking about Trevor Kidd, but you just did a good job of describing him.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:15 AM   #778
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I know you're not talking about Trevor Kidd, but you just did a good job of describing him.

That was my thought as well.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:26 AM   #779
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it wasn't him. This guy has crazy mutton chops. It's possible he wasn't actually a redhead, but definitely had the burns.

Kay Whitmore?
Old 08-03-2006, 10:28 AM   #780
MikeVic
Head Coach

Pokey Reddick.

Sorry, I love that name. Had to say it.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:30 AM   #781
MikeVic
Head Coach

Old 08-03-2006, 01:14 PM   #782
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Remember Pokey and the Bandit? What a glorious time!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 01:24 PM   #783
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Considering Dumont was a throwin when we got him, I'll be more than pleased to see him + Biron for something decent.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 01:28 PM   #784
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Pumpy?
Old 08-03-2006, 01:34 PM   #785
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Pumpy?

Pumpy Reddick! Or Pokey Tudors!
Old 08-09-2006, 09:28 AM   #786
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I thought this would already be in here--

Sabres walk away from Dumont's award.

I would imagine the Pens would at least look at him, our top 6 depth is still awful.

And--Legace to the Blues

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 08-09-2006 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:07 AM   #787
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm
I thought this would already be in here--

Sabres walk away from Dumont's award.

I would imagine the Pens would at least look at him, our top 6 depth is still awful.

And--Legace to the Blues

Someone had to go on Buffalo and Dumont is the right choice. If Pittsburgh makes a play and he gets slotted in with Crosby, expect 35-40 goals if he can stay healthy.

He's not a very good defensive player but he is a pretty good hitter, well respected in the dressing room and has pretty good hands. He'll be missed in Buffalo but ultimately he can be replaced by a guy like Jason Pominville.

The Legace signing takes away another team that Buffalo can deal Biron to. Hopefully Regier can swing a deal with Los Angeles and get LaBarbera and a mid-round pick in return.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:12 AM   #788
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Someone had to go on Buffalo and Dumont is the right choice. If Pittsburgh makes a play and he gets slotted in with Crosby, expect 35-40 goals if he can stay healthy.

He's not a very good defensive player but he is a pretty good hitter, well respected in the dressing room and has pretty good hands. He'll be missed in Buffalo but ultimately he can be replaced by a guy like Jason Pominville.

We at least picked up a few guys, in Ekman and Moore, solid in their own zone, and lesser extent, Ruutu, who makes the effort.

Without Malkin, the 2nd line (assuming Ekman on the first with Crosby) would be some combonation of Recchi, Malone, and God knows who...possibly Erik Christensen or Michel Oullett.

Dumont on the top line with Crosby, who is decent defensively, and Armstrong, who makes an effort, but isn't a great skater, would be OK. As long as they don't overpay.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:13 PM   #789
Karim
College Starter

Alexei Kovalev is a Warrior...
http://www.warriorhockey.com/AK27_Ad.html
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:17 AM   #790
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Wings signed UFA forward Greg Johnson.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=174194&hubname=nhl

He played for the Wings at the beginning of his career. He was traded to Pittsburgh for Tomas Sandstrom back in '97.

He's likely to be a 4th/3rd line guy. Not a bad signing.

The Wings are still trying to sign RFA Johan Franzen and, presumably, would like to find a top six winger out there to score some goals, though the options have dwindled.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:26 PM   #791
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Kessel to sign with the Bruins tomorrow, good luck to Phil in the NHL.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:13 AM   #792
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Malkin gave his 2 week notice to his Russian team. I still can't get over how funny that sounds.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:21 PM   #793
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards4ever
Kessel to sign with the Bruins tomorrow, good luck to Phil in the NHL.

Nothing against Kessel, as I sort of like him due to my EHM experiences with him, he has an amazingly punchable looking face.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:54 PM   #794
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Nothing against Kessel, as I sort of like him due to my EHM experiences with him, he has an amazingly punchable looking face.

Believe me -- Not many people like Kess. I don't want to vent too much on the board but I (feel cool cause of this!) have a source who has first hands account of how big of an asshole Kessel is. If people are interested, feel free to PM me, but I don't want to go out of my way to upset my source.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:03 PM   #795
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Believe me -- Not many people like Kess. I don't want to vent too much on the board but I (feel cool cause of this!) have a source who has first hands account of how big of an asshole Kessel is. If people are interested, feel free to PM me, but I don't want to go out of my way to upset my source.

Hook a brother up, DeTox (via PM of coruse). You can even refer to your source "Pumpy Tooters" to keep him/her anonymous.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 08-17-2006 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:06 PM   #796
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:

People said the same thing about Modano. No one punches Modano. Even if you want to. Really, really badly.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:54 PM   #797
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I've heard things both ways about Kessel, isn't that the way it goes with most high profile guys? At the end of the day, if the guy isn't doing anything illegal, as long as he helps your favorite team win, what does it matter?
Old 08-17-2006, 07:52 PM   #798
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Thrashers get Vishnevski for prospect & picks

ATLANTA (August 17, 2006) -- The Atlanta Thrashers have acquired defenseman Vitaly Vishnevski from the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for forward Karl Stewart, a second-round selection in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft and a conditional fourth-round pick in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, according to Executive Vice President and General Manager Don Waddell.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:02 PM   #799
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:

ATLANTA (August 17, 2006) -- The Atlanta Thrashers have acquired defenseman Vitaly Vishnevski from the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for forward Karl Stewart, a second-round selection in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft and a conditional fourth-round pick in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, according to Executive Vice President and General Manager Don Waddell.

Good trade... was hoping the Isles would get him.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:14 PM   #800
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Sorry to see Vish go. He's one hell of a hitter. We had the cap room, but the budget was a bit lower. Honestly, I would have rather left Travis Green out there unsigned and keep Vish. We have kids who could have replaced the retired Hedstrom's fourth line role.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote