Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-22-2005, 10:59 AM   #751
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I haven't played this game in about a week, but it amazes me that I'm still playing in May when this game came out in February. I'll continue to play, too. Unfortunately, my Cardinals are in last place due to poor relief pitching, but I'll try to finish my first season off strong.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:39 PM   #752
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
I haven't played this game in about a week, but it amazes me that I'm still playing in May when this game came out in February. I'll continue to play, too. Unfortunately, my Cardinals are in last place due to poor relief pitching, but I'll try to finish my first season off strong.

I still play at least one to two games a week. Excellent staying power.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 05:45 PM   #753
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah, same here. Really surprised by the fact that I still enjoy the game as much as I did when I first got it. (On the day it came out, I never do that for PC games..or any games, really)

Anyway, I've taken my entire team from my OOTP game and recreated them in MVP to watch them. Obviously no correlation, but it makes the game even more appealing than before for me.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:49 PM   #754
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I'd actually play a lot more often, but my only time available is when everyone else is in bed - thus I get the dreaded 11pm to 1am timeslot. I pay for it the next day, but it's worth it to get my 1-2 games in.

The game really captures the fun in coming up with the perfect pitch that fools a batter for strike 3, the patience involved in hitting and laying off the pitcher's pitch to capitalize on a mistake. The entire genre took a huge step forward with this game - I'm really not sure it gets the proper praise that it should. Really, take the gameplay and just continue to add better graphics as the new game systems come out. Please, please, EA, do not put a "NCAA 2005" with the MVP product line.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 06:45 PM   #755
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
I'd actually play a lot more often, but my only time available is when everyone else is in bed - thus I get the dreaded 11pm to 1am timeslot. I pay for it the next day, but it's worth it to get my 1-2 games in.

The game really captures the fun in coming up with the perfect pitch that fools a batter for strike 3, the patience involved in hitting and laying off the pitcher's pitch to capitalize on a mistake. The entire genre took a huge step forward with this game - I'm really not sure it gets the proper praise that it should. Really, take the gameplay and just continue to add better graphics as the new game systems come out. Please, please, EA, do not put a "NCAA 2005" with the MVP product line.

There won't be any more MVP baseball for at least a few years since Take Two has third party exclusivity for baseball. Fortunately, this game is good enough to last at least a few years for me. It is one of the reasons that it is important to me that the Xbox 360 have backwards compatibility with all of its games.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:43 PM   #756
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Which game does Take Two make now? Was that the ESPN game?
how do you know?

Old 05-22-2005, 09:58 PM   #757
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Which game does Take Two make now? Was that the ESPN game?

Yes. Except I don't think it will be called ESPN in the future.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:50 PM   #758
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
It is one of the reasons that it is important to me that the Xbox 360 have backwards compatibility with all of its games.

I mean, is it that huge a deal? Couldn't you just have both systems? I would rather have backward compatability too, but it's not like you're going to spend less money by having both systems around.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 10:58 PM   #759
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333
I mean, is it that huge a deal? Couldn't you just have both systems? I would rather have backward compatability too, but it's not like you're going to spend less money by having both systems around.

No, but folks like me who never buy console systems..something like that is really attractive. It's part of why I liked the Playstation so much. It was really irritating in the old days to have to jettison your old games and system when upgrading.

So I think I'm gonna go with PS3, as I just like Playstation more..but I do see where this is an attractive feature to offer.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:24 PM   #760
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333

Yes. It is a huge deal to me, more specifically my wife. Even though she loves computer games, she hates having "my" game consoles cluttering up our living room. She tolerates two consoles (the PS2 and Xbox), but would not tolerate 3. When I get the Xbox 360, she is going to want me to get rid of my Xbox. Furthermore, the fact that I will give it to her younger brother (16 years old) will make her want me to get the Xbox 360 sooner rather than later.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:33 AM   #761
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
No, but folks like me who never buy console systems..something like that is really attractive. It's part of why I liked the Playstation so much. It was really irritating in the old days to have to jettison your old games and system when upgrading.

So I think I'm gonna go with PS3, as I just like Playstation more..but I do see where this is an attractive feature to offer.

I'm in a "limbo" stage right now, but I've started to lean towards the PS3 as well. Like EaglesFan27, I hate that only 'some' games will be backward compatible on the Xbox360, while the ps3 will be backward x2 compatible. I always trade my systems in when I get a new one, so that's important to me.

I'm starting to see how the Xbox 360 is trying to be an "all in one" machine while the PS3 is all about gaming. I think Microsoft tries too hard to get a wider scope of the market while Sony does what it has done well for so long, create a great gaming console. I'm not much for multiplayer, so Live really does nothing for me. BUT having the option to play MVP 2005 on my ps3 with updated rosters is definitly an option I would like to have.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:45 AM   #762
Balldog
Pro Rookie

How do you view your pitch count on XBOX?

Can't seem to figure it out but I have seen people say so-so 'threw 108 pitches in my game...'
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:54 AM   #763
C-Bailey
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog
How do you view your pitch count on XBOX?

Can't seem to figure it out but I have seen people say so-so 'threw 108 pitches in my game...'

In the middle of the game hit pause and it should be on the pause screen near the pitcher's current energy level.
C-Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:56 AM   #764
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Played 5 games last night - had my first real offensive outburst - 15 runs in a single game! That should help with my runs per game average (about 2.5 rpg 40 games into the season). Pro-rating Rafael Palmeiro's stats to a full season - 0 HR and 25 RBIs.

I still don"t hit enough homeruns (and only do so with the upswing), but I'm smacking a lot of singles and doubles.
how do you know?

Old 05-29-2005, 03:34 PM   #765
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm really loving MVP for the psp. Besides the outdated roster, $50 price tag, and occasional slowdowns.. I can't stop playing this game. I turned down the pitch speed to -35 and the game is a ton of fun.

Scores vary, hits vary, and there are so many neat animations. Definitly my most played psp game to date. Nothing like watching the game on TV and playing a game at the same time.

Todd
Old 05-29-2005, 04:45 PM   #766
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

8 innings of a no-hitter down with Kelvim Escobar on the mound. Wish me luck, I'm really nervous!!

edit: SHIT! leadoff single by their #8 hitter, 0-1 fastball high and tight and he pushes it up the middle for a single

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-29-2005 at 04:48 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 04:55 PM   #767
SackAttack
Head Coach

Gotta nibble those corners, DaddyTorgo. The no-hitter I threw, I doubt if I gave them anything to hit all day long. Not on purpose, anyway.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 05:08 PM   #768
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

oh i was nibbling. by high-and-tight I mean "upper right quadrant just barely on the edge of the strike zone and the vibrating." was his best pitch all game, problem was his energy % was getting down low enough that I guess I had lost just enough control to let it drift into the zone a little more and become hittable.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:16 AM   #769
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Has anyone here had rain during gameplay of a dynasty mode game? I just re-read the gamespot review of MVP 2005 and it mentioned that there are rain outs and that these games will be made up as a doubleheader later on. I'm over 50 games into my first dynasty, yet I have never seen one drop of rain...
how do you know?

Old 06-01-2005, 09:11 AM   #770
ahbrady
High School JV

I haven't seen any rain, but I've had games get rained out. When I try to play the game it says the game has been rained out and rescheduled.
ahbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 09:49 AM   #771
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I've started an "Owner Mode" with the Nationals, I have a few questions:

Can I play my home games at JFK for the first season or two? I hate playing in this ballpark that holds a whopping 20,000 fans.

If I do play at JFK is their any benefit/draw backs?
Old 06-01-2005, 10:03 AM   #772
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've started an "Owner Mode" with the Nationals, I have a few questions:

Can I play my home games at JFK for the first season or two? I hate playing in this ballpark that holds a whopping 20,000 fans.

If I do play at JFK is their any benefit/draw backs?

Not in owner mode you can't.

Todd
Old 06-01-2005, 10:06 AM   #773
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Not in owner mode you can't.

Todd

Actually, before each game you can change the stadium in either owner or dynasty mode. You could play every game in Yankee Stadium if you wanted to even if you playing a road game against the Mets. I haven't played in a while but I believe you make those choices during the lineup screen.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:38 AM   #774
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296
Actually, before each game you can change the stadium in either owner or dynasty mode. You could play every game in Yankee Stadium if you wanted to even if you playing a road game against the Mets. I haven't played in a while but I believe you make those choices during the lineup screen.

Yeah, what I am wandering is if I do that for home games does my attendance revenue from the bigger stadium get counted?
Old 06-01-2005, 10:45 AM   #775
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Yeah, what I am wandering is if I do that for home games does my attendance revenue from the bigger stadium get counted?

I believe your revenue is still based on the created stadium. I think the stadium where you play the game is for asthetic purposes.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:01 AM   #776
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I've had drizzling during a couple of my games, but I haven't had a rainout yet.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:03 AM   #777
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Hmm....at least you had some drizzle. I'd like to see some rain in the games - maybe it doesn't rain on the PS2? I just notice every game they mention it's perfect weather, not a cloud in the sky and 80 degrees.

One thing I have noticed - in my dynasty and can't change the opponents uniforms. Even though I'm spent many EA dynasty points on opening up the new unis, I can only show the one's I opened for my team. Would be nice to change the opponents uniforms as well.
how do you know?

Old 06-01-2005, 12:18 PM   #778
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296

Ahhh.. that's right.

Todd
Old 06-01-2005, 12:21 PM   #779
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
One thing I have noticed - in my dynasty and can't change the opponents uniforms. Even though I'm spent many EA dynasty points on opening up the new unis, I can only show the one's I opened for my team. Would be nice to change the opponents uniforms as well.

In Xbox you can do this by pretending to be the other team, and then switching their uniforms like you would do your own team's. Then switch back to your team and change your unis.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 12:23 PM   #780
jbmagic
Pro Starter

hey guys

if you miss my post on MVPsaver program that someone made for MVP 2005 : check it out.

its a great program someone made at mvpmod that can read your dynasty save or owner save game and output the html pages for standing, team stats, player stats, salary, etc

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/foru...457#post798457

Last edited by jbmagic : 06-01-2005 at 12:24 PM.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:13 PM   #781
BigDPW
College Prospect

I had a rainout in Dyanasty Mode on XBox and played a double header later in the series. So I know it works on XBox... Can't speak to the PS2 version...
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 11:19 PM   #782
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

How do I save a video for the PC version? I can't figure it out and I can't track down my manual.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 06-16-2005 at 11:32 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 12:53 AM   #783
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I figured it out. But I have to echo the sentiments of everyone else. There has never been a game that actually wanted to play the games out to see how my team did, I've always been a simulate-first type person. But MVP Baseball 2005 changed all that.

MVPSavReader makes it 1000x more interesting to play and track a team though.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:48 AM   #784
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Grr..for the 2nd night in a row, I've thrown a 1-hitter.

This time, I made it to the 9th inning. I'd never done that before, at least without completely cheating in a console game.

Anyway, it would've been a combined no-hitter. The only walk I threw was an accidental intentional walk when I dropped the controller. I took the starter (Jeff Francis) out after 6, because he was fading fast despite throwing a great game.

My stud closer is a rookie I brought up (think K-Rod from back in the day) and I thought he was gonna do it. But some Dodgers rookie hits a base hit to left field, he gives up the hit (as I figured...) and we win, 2-0, but I miss my no-hit bid.

I'll try again.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:40 AM   #785
Easy Mac

Ok, just wondering if I really suck, but I've been playing on All-Star level, and I'm pitching and hitting well, but if the computer hits the ball in the gap or to the wall, its at least an automatic triple, even if its their cleanup hitter hitting. Is it like that for everyone else? I could even get the ball before the computer is at second base, and he'll still get to third? What sliders should I fix? I'm assuming turning down the AI baserunning, anything else?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 07:37 AM   #786
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
I figured it out. But I have to echo the sentiments of everyone else. There has never been a game that actually wanted to play the games out to see how my team did, I've always been a simulate-first type person. But MVP Baseball 2005 changed all that.

MVPSavReader makes it 1000x more interesting to play and track a team though.

Same here, I just can't seem to find a team that I enjoy playing with enough.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:06 AM   #787
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Same here, I just can't seem to find a team that I enjoy playing with enough.

I downloaded updated rosters from MVPMods, then I spent half the season retooling the entire Colorado Rockies roster, all while staying within my own payroll constraints (around $55-60m) the entire season.

I think that's probably a good way to do it, that way you're somehow "invested" in the players, the moves you've made and stuff. I dunno...
Old 06-20-2005, 02:48 AM   #788
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

When you think clutch, think of Olerud. It wasn't enough that he hit the game-tying homer in the top of the 9th.

With a runner on in the top of the 19th, Olerud steps to the plate and belts what ended up as the game-winning RBI, to put the Rockies up 5-4. The team scored another run and with a 6-4 lead, Billy Keffer who struck out 11 batters in 7 2/3 innings of relief was pulled, Brandon Backe got the final out (I wanted to be sure we'd get it...) and the Rockies are your 2005 World Series champions!

Ugh. This is the 2nd night in a row that I've played an extra inning game. But 19 innings really takes the cake.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:31 PM   #789
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

anybody still playing this? I've simmed quite a few games and now have a career in the 2014 season. I've noticed a few things:

- with MizzouRah's sliders, offense is way up. On my team right now, 7 of 9 starters have averages over .300 (I'm in July of 2014).

- pitching velocities are a little screwy. It's not uncommon to have three or four pitchers per team that can hit 101-102 mph with a 4 seam fastball.

- salaries are not increasing as much as they should. Even KC are something like 40 million under the cap. It's very possible to get good solid hitters for $4,000,000 a year.

The game itself is still so much fun, however. I usually play about an hour a night after the twins go to sleep.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:31 PM   #790
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Because I'm so psyched about NCAA 2006, I've shelved this one. Got about 70 games played in my dynasty, but I don't think I'll go back. The ROI on the game was great, but I just don't feel like loading it up anymore.
how do you know?

Old 07-05-2005, 03:56 PM   #791
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Does the game have the classic baseball stadiums and atmosphere?
Old 07-05-2005, 04:23 PM   #792
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I still play about a game a week, however that will probably die off once NCAA 2006 comes out. I imagine I'll start playing more when the playoffs roll around.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:15 PM   #793
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER
Does the game have the classic baseball stadiums and atmosphere?

It does. I've started a dynasty with the Washington Nationals and replaced RFK with Polo Grounds.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:56 AM   #794
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

bleepity bleep bleep BLEEP!!!! just had Eric Milton lose his no-hit bid with 2 outs in the 9th inning to Ricardo Rincon! As in Ricardo Rincon the pitcher!!! I was being super careful in the 9th, throwing everything off the plate this time since he was down to like 25% stamina, Rincon got a breaking ball inside and low and blooped it into CF for a single. GODDAMNIT!!!!!
Old 09-02-2005, 02:37 PM   #795
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, now that I'm not playing Omerta(which I started playing when this came out), I'm finally going to play this game Kinda sad that I had to dust off the PS2 and controller,lol.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 02:41 PM   #796
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexroid
Ok, now that I'm not playing Omerta(which I started playing when this came out), I'm finally going to play this game Kinda sad that I had to dust off the PS2 and controller,lol.

Funny, I was thinking of loading this up and getting a couple games in. Been about a month...now I will.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:20 AM   #797
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Can anyone tell me what the final verdict for this game was on the PC? Realistic gameplay?

I really liked the PS2 version, but I want to be able to fix rosters and other things.

Thanks!
how do you know?

Old 12-12-2005, 07:26 PM   #798
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Can anyone tell me what the final verdict for this game was on the PC? Realistic gameplay?

I really liked the PS2 version, but I want to be able to fix rosters and other things.

Thanks!

PC version is great. I've played them all - from Earl Weaver to High Heat, and I think that this MVP is the best PC baseball game ever.

I'd check out MVPMods.com and see how you'd like to mod the game.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 07:31 PM   #799
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i agree. this game was hella sweet. hell, even seeing this thread is enough to make me want to go grab the game and bash a few balls.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:33 PM   #800
vex
Grizzled Veteran

PS2 version was awesome as well.

Last edited by vex : 12-12-2005 at 07:34 PM. Reason: nevermind, I can't read.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote